Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

396 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 196
 
Civilian Conservation Corps Marker image, Touch for more information
By Karen Key, August 6, 2006
Civilian Conservation Corps Marker
Arizona (Pima County), Tucson — The Fort Lowell Flagstaff
The flagstaff has been the one constant feature of all military establishments since the creation of the U.S. Army in 1784.No matter what era or architectural style, the flagstaff has remained at the center of the parade ground and at the center of . . . — Map (db m100713) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — "The Only Way to See Lake Tahoe"
Before roads were built in the Tahoe area in the 1920s, sailing on a steamer was the only way for visitors to reach the resorts lining the south shore. The Tod Goodwin outdid all the other steamers in size and speed. It could carry 150 . . . — Map (db m112978) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — A Room with a View
Guests at the Pope estate had the option of staying in one of three unique cabins, each with its own charm. Many liked the "Log Cabin" best because it was closest to the lake. The cabin across and up the lawn called the "Pachero," was reserved . . . — Map (db m112980) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — A Rustic Retreat: The Baldwin Estate
When Elias J. "Lucky" Baldwin died in 1909, he left his real estate holdings in the Tahoe Basin to his daughter, Anita Baldwin. A few years later, Anita gave her daughter Dextra McGonagle this six-acre lot on the shore of Lake Tahoe. Dextra had . . . — Map (db m112981) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — Anita Gibson & Dextra CabinsGuest Quarters
Possibly two of the oldest structures on the site, these log cabins were probably moved from the nearby Tallac Resort to save them from destruction when the Resort was torn down. In 1915, Dextra and her mother Anita spent time at the lake, . . . — Map (db m112982) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — Enjoy the View from Inspiration Point
From the vista, you can observe Emerald Bay and learn about its rich and colorful past Residents & Visitors For thousands of years, Lake Tahoe's Emerald Bay has drawn people to its shores. The Washoe Indians made their summer . . . — Map (db m112974) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — Lucky's Legacy
On this site, between 1880 and 1909, Elias J. "Lucky" Baldwin created the elaborate Tallac Resort. The luxury complex featured a hotel, a casino, several cottages, a clubhouse, a boathouse, and three piers. Wealthy society families from San . . . — Map (db m112975) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — Riding into the Winner's CircleEquestrians at the Tevis/Pope Estate
Horseback riding was a focus of the Tahoe summer experience. William Tevis Jr. was an ardent lover of horses. He became an internationally known, prize-winning polo player and horseman, and spent many hours riding and "bronco-busting" in rodeos and . . . — Map (db m112979) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — Supporting a Life of Ease
The Pope complex is the largest of the Estates, and the main house the most elaborate and least rustic of the three. It is a good example of the fact that construction practices at Tahoe during this period favored the use of lavish effects and often . . . — Map (db m112977) HM
California (El Dorado County), South Lake Tahoe — Welcome to the Historic Tallac Resort
You're standing on the site of the Tallac Resort and Casino, a turn of the century Tahoe destination promoted as "The Grandest Resort in the World." The Resort filled more than 40 acres and offered all the amenities a guest could want. Elias . . . — Map (db m112976) HM
California (Lassen County), Litchfield — N-26 — Nobles Trail - Soldiers Bridge
. . . — Map (db m112609) HM
California (Lassen County), Susanville — Oakes & Philbrook Furniture Store
William Vellenoweth, better known to a generation of Susanville youngsters as Dad Popcorn, had his colorful stand at this location from 1918 to 1931. This building, constructed in 1901 as the Oakes & Philbrook Furniture Store, also housed the . . . — Map (db m112617) HM
California (Orange County), Balboa Island — Balboa Village
The Pavilion, built in 1905, and this building were prominent features of Balboa Village in 1918. Henry Huntington's Red Car Trolleys ran regular schedules between the Balboa Terminus and points north to Los Angeles. Today the Pavilion . . . — Map (db m112985) HM
California (Orange County), Newport Beach — First Ferry Service Between Balboa and Balboa Island
First ferry service between Balboa and Balboa Island 1909 — Map (db m112983) HM
California (Orange County), Newport Beach — Site of 3rd National Boy Scout Jamboree
The site of the 3rd National Boy Scout Jamboree held on the Irvine Ranch July 17-23, 1953 — Map (db m112984) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — A Tradition of BasketmakingArt For the Market
Basketmaking is a tradition of the Washoe people of the Breat Basin that dates back thousands of years. Different types of baskets were made for holding water and cooking, winnowing seeds and nuts, collecting and storing food, catching fish and . . . — Map (db m112968) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — Conflict Over Water
Controlling the flow of water through Lake Tahoe's Truckee River outlet The Donner Lumber and Boom Company built the first dam across the Truckee River outlet in Tahoe City in 1872. Water released through the dam controlled the flow of logs . . . — Map (db m112966) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — Development & Conflict
In the 1890s, the decline in silver mining on the Comstock in Nevada reduced the demand for lumber from the Lake Tahoe basin. Local businessman Duane L. Bliss, owner of Carson and Tahoe Lumber and Fluming Company, recognized a new business . . . — Map (db m112973) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — Grand Central Hotel
Called the finest establishment between San Francisco and Virginia City, this elegant three and a half story resort signified the start of North Tahoe's tourist industry. Terminal for the Tahoe-Truckee Flyer Stage Line And host To the lake's . . . — Map (db m100218) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — Lake TahoeTahoe Summer Home
Native people first lived along Lake Tahoe's shoreline over 9,000 years ago when retreating glaciers blocked most corridors to the lake. Lake Tahoe came to be the center of traditional Washoe life. Their legends describe every aspect of the . . . — Map (db m112969) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — Roads and Bridges
Trails become roads around Lake Tahoe Early travel in the Lake Tahoe basin was along Washoe Indian trails and later along American immigrant trails blazed in the 1840s over the rugged Sierra Nevada Mountain passes. The first roads in the . . . — Map (db m112967) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — The Plentiful Lake
Just as you may have come to fish these waters today, so have native people for thousands of years. Natives of the Tahoe Sierra fished the waters from Lake Tahoe and the Truckee River and Pyramid Lake for food. Depending on the season, they pulled . . . — Map (db m112970) HM
California (Placer County), Tahoe City — Trains and Tourists
In the years before automobiles and paved highways, local businessman D. L. Bliss needed a way to bring people to his new Tahoe Tavern hotel. He formed the Lake Tahoe Railway and Transportation Company to build and operate a railroad connection . . . — Map (db m112972) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — New England Seed Store
On this site stood the store of James L. L. Warren, an influential center of agriculture during the Gold Rush. Here at the New England Seed Store, the camellia was first introduced into California in February, 1852 Camellia Official . . . — Map (db m11193) HM
California (Sacramento County), Sacramento — Sacramento Volunteer Fire Department1850 – 1872
The Mutual Hook and Ladder Company, formed on February 5, 1850, was the first fire company in the State of California. It served with distinction until disbanded October 30, 1859. On June 23, 1858, a grateful city donated this plot of ground . . . — Map (db m12462) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Santa Cruz — History of Surfing in Santa Cruz
The history of surfing in Santa Cruz can be traced in part to the Santa Cruz Surfing Club, founded in 1936. The following members were among the first in this area to experience the thrill of conquering a wave. Jim Alumbauch     Bill . . . — Map (db m112987) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Santa Cruz — Saint Joseph Marello
Saint Joseph Marello (1844-1895) Bishop of Acqui and founder of the Oblates of Saint Joseph Fortis of Suavis Sculpture by Thomas Marsh, March 19, 1997 Born in Turin, Italy, Joseph Marello lived as a zealous priest in the city of Asti. There . . . — Map (db m112986) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Dorris — Picard California
Located east of the Cascade Mountain Range where the old Topsy Grade Stage Road enters Butte Valley, the town of Picard was settled in the early 1880s. Picard's Post Office opened in 1883 and closed in 1907. La Lake School located one mile to the . . . — Map (db m100220) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Etna — I.O.O.F. Hall
The Etna Chapter of the Independent Order of Odd Fellow #184 was founded on January 18, 1871. There were 11 charter members. This brick building was designed by Louis Fafa and was built in 1881. The upper floor was used for lodge . . . — Map (db m112494) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Fort Jones — Deadwood1851- 1861
The town of Deadwood, in its brief existence, was one of the most important business centers in early Siskiyou County. In 1857 there wee three stores, three saloons, two butcher shops, a bakery, a blacksmith shop, two stables, and a dairy. Among the . . . — Map (db m110735) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Hornbook — Founding of the American Legion
This plaque commemorates the 60th anniversary of the American Legion. The national charter was signed in Hornbook on Sept. 16, 1919 by President Woodrow Wilson while his train stopped enroute from Portland to San Francisco. — Map (db m88022) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Montague — Little Shasta Congregational Church
Dedicated to the memory of the Pioneers of Little Shasta Valley who raised this House to the Glory of God. On March 5, 1876 The Little Shasta Congregational Church was formed. It was in 1877 that the first subscriptions were taken for . . . — Map (db m112622) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Montague — Schmitt Brothers Mill
Site Of Schmitt Bros. Mill 1930 - 1939 — Map (db m100214) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Tule Lake — Canby Cross
Over the years, various individuals and group have made efforts to memorialize the death of General E.R.S. Canby, the only general to be killed in an Indian War. This wooden cross is a replica of an original erected by a U.S. soldier in 1882, just . . . — Map (db m87909) HM WM
California (Siskiyou County), Tule Lake — Civilian Conservation Corps
President Franklin Delano Roosevelt established the Civilian Conservation Corps on March 31, 1933, to provide employment for America's youth and promote the nation's economic recovery. The CCC's work involved conservation projects on forest, park . . . — Map (db m547) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Tule Lake — The Road to the Stronghold
Thousands of years ago, flowing lava cooled forming a natural fortress. The surrounding area later became the center of the Modoc Indian homeland. A series of events made this lava stronghold a focal point in the war to remove the Modoc from their . . . — Map (db m87917) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Tulelake — A-40 — Applegate Trail - Pothole Spring
"Camped at a magnificent spring of fresh cold water, which we called Goff's Spring, in honor of the newly elected lieutenant of the company." -Levi Scott, South Road Exploring Party, 1846 — Map (db m112971) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Tulelake — Attracted to Water
“When I was a child…I played around Tule Lake where the tules and grass grow thick… We used to go out in the tall grass… and look for chub fish… and shoot at (them) with our arrows.” Peter Schonchin, last surviving . . . — Map (db m63249) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Tulelake — Beds of Lava
Imagine watching hot lava flowing toward you at this spot over twelve thousand years ago. Like treads rolling on a tank, the clinker, cooling front of the flow fell off and was run over by the hot molten core. The Devils Homestead flow, which . . . — Map (db m63258) HM
California (Siskiyou County), Tulelake — Last Meeting of the Peace Commission — Lava Beds National Monument
By April 1873, months of peace talks to end the Modoc War had gone nowhere. General E.R.S. Canby found himself caught between President Grant’s Indian Peace Policy and the desire of some settlers to have the Army eliminate the Modoc band. The Modoc . . . — Map (db m63211) WM
California (Siskiyou County), Tulelake — Lava FortressCaptain Jack's Stronghold
“Peaceable if you can, forcibly if you must,” ordered Indian Agent T. B. Odeneal. The U.S. Army garrison’s task was to bring the Modocs and their leader, Captain Jack, back to the reservation. His refusal started the Modoc War in the . . . — Map (db m63213) WM
California (Siskiyou County), Tulelake — Lower Klamath National Wildlife Refuge
Has Been Designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the Provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 This Site Possesses Exceptional Value in Commemorating and Illustrating the History of the Unites . . . — Map (db m100345) HM
Nevada, Carson City — Clear Creek-Kings Canyon Fire
At 4:00 Am September 28, 1926, Fire Broke Out At The Jack Smith Ranch, At The Base Of Clear Creek Canyon.winds, Reversed Itself And Came Down Ings Canyon. It Reversed Itself Again And Raced Up Kings Canyon Once More, Trapping 5 Firefighters Near The . . . — Map (db m100249) HM
Nevada (Esmeralda County), Blair Junction — 155 — Silver Peak
Discovered 1863 Silver Peak is one of the oldest mining areas in Nevada. A 10-stamp mill was built in 1865, and by 1867 a 20-stamp mill was built. Mining camp lawlessness prevailed during the late sixties, and over the next 38 years, Silver . . . — Map (db m3493) HM
Nevada (Esmeralda County), Goldfield — Gans Vs. Nelson
Fight Gans VS. Nelson Sept. 3, 1906 42 Rounds Goldfield, Nevada — Map (db m89449) HM
Nevada (Esmeralda County), Goldfield — The Gables
Home of Blanche Sprague Organizing Regent of Nevada February 12, 1910 — Map (db m89600) HM
Nevada (Esmeralda County), Goldfield — The Santa Fe Saloon
Built in 1905 by Hubert Maxgut, the Santa Fe Saloon is the oldest continually operating business in Goldfield. Maxgut was killed in a gunfight in 1912, but subsequent owners kept the saloon open. It was located outside of the business district to be . . . — Map (db m65381) HM
Nevada (Mineral County), Mina — 154 — Belleville
Founded in 1873, Belleville flourished by milling the ore from the Northern Belle Mine in Candelaria. The mill located just east of here made its first bullion bar shipment ($9,200) in April, 1875. Belleville was famous for murders, drunken . . . — Map (db m89420) HM
Nevada (Nye County), Tonopah — 101 — Millers
As a result of the mining excitement at Tonopah in 1901 and subsequent construction of the Tonopah and Goldfield Railroad, Millers was founded in 1904 as a station and watering stop on that line. The name honors Charles R. Miller, a director of the . . . — Map (db m3494) HM
Nevada (Washoe County), Sparks — James C. Lillard Railroad Park History
Railroad Park was officially dedicated on July 4, 1976, in commemoration of our nation's 200th birthday. It was officially named James C. Lillard Railroad Park, by the City of Sparks City Council on July 12, 1976, in honor of Mayor James C. Lillard, . . . — Map (db m67227) HM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — City Hall
The Corvallis City Hall was located on the southeast corner of Fourth and Madison Streets from 1892 to 1956. This grand brick and stone building with the imposing belltower housed the City Council Chambers, and in addition, provided much of the . . . — Map (db m112916) HM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — Kearney Hall
Mechanical Hall This structure was built in 1899 to replace the original Mechanical Hall that burned to the ground on September 27, 1898. That fire threw the school year into chaos, since the building had housed the entire engineering program . . . — Map (db m112864) HM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — L.G. Kline Building
The L.G. Kline Building was built in 1889 for Lewis G. Kline after his successful career as a dry goods merchant in Corvallis. Kline, a Polish immigrant, came to Corvallis with his wife, Adaline, a Russian immigrant, in 1864. The Klines and . . . — Map (db m112915) HM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — Site of the Earliest Boat LandingLower Town, Marysville, 1851
Site of the earliest boat landing Lower Town, Marysville, 1851 Presented to City of Corvallis, Oregon Centennial Celebration, June 1957 by the Winema Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution — Map (db m107333) HM
Oregon (Benton County), Corvallis — The Opera House
The Opera House was built on this site in 1870. It was a wooden building with a porch and covered entrance which faced on Fourth Street. The residents of Corvallis raised the money by subscription and donated their labor to build it. Inside there . . . — Map (db m112917) HM
Oregon (Clackamas County), Viola — Original Stash
Geocaching.com Original Stash First Geocache placed here. May 3, 2000 N 45° 17.460 W 122° 24.800 — Map (db m3121) HM
Oregon (Curry County), Brookings — The Japanese Attack on Oregon
Prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor, a contingent of Japanese I-Class submarines sailed from Yokosuka via the Marshall Islands to take up positions off Hawaii and the coast of North America. Five of these vessels carried midget two-man submarines . . . — Map (db m112537) HM
Oregon (Douglas County), Roseburg — Courthouse Elm
Ulmus americana This tree was given to Douglas County by Binger Hermann, U.S. Congressman, around the turn of the century. The occasion for the tree donation is not known positively, but research suggests that it was given at a . . . — Map (db m112587) HM
Oregon (Douglas County), Roseburg — 'The Blast' Site
This is the site of the explosion which occurred in the early hours of August 7, 1959, resulting in fourteen deaths and injuring fifty seven persons. A fire in a lumber yard detonated a truck loaded with explosives and caused property losses . . . — Map (db m112863) HM
Oregon (Douglas County), Roseburg — The Hebe Fountain
The original Hebe Fountain was a joint project of the 1895 Mental Culture Club (now known as the Roseburg Woman's Club) and the Women's Christian Temperance Union. Providing water for horses, dogs, and humans, the fountain stood in the intersection . . . — Map (db m112848) HM
Oregon (Douglas County), Roseburg — Welcome to Southern Oregon
Southern Oregon is a land of great geographic diversity. Here are the more than 250-million-year-old Klamath Mountains in the south, and to the north and uplifted 50-million-year-old ocean floor and overlying sediments, called “Siletzia” . . . — Map (db m112535) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Ashland — Ashland CreekThe Ashland Creek watershed has always played and important role in the human history of this region
At 7533 feet, Mt. Ashland in the Siskiyou Mountains is the highest point in the headwaters of Ashland Creek. The coarse granitic soils on its steep slopes are highly erodible. Management of the watershed tries to minimize the disturbance to protect . . . — Map (db m112522) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Ashland — Ashland Lithia Water
The Lithia Fountain was installed on the Ashland Plaza in late 1927. In the 1900s, Lithia Water, which comes from the Pompadour Chief Spring, nearly four miles east of downtown, was the focus of a city-wide development plan that hoped to transform . . . — Map (db m112521) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Ashland — Dead Indian Memorial Road
Long before the first Euro-American emigrants trekked westward, this road was a trail used by the Takelma and Shasta Peoples as a trade route. With the arrival of settlers and gold-seekers, the trail quickly became a wagon road called ‘Indian Market . . . — Map (db m112524) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Ashland — Historic Applegate Trail 1846 - 1869
"Keene Creek Wagon Slide" — Map (db m112496) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Ashland — A-68 — Keene Creek Wagon Slide
Historic Applegate Trail 1846 - 1869 "Keene Creek Wagon Slide" — Map (db m112935) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Ashland — Route of
Historic Applegate Trail 1846 - 1869 First Public Wagon Road 1869 - 1874 Southern Ore. Wagon Road 1874 - 1919 — Map (db m112498) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Ashland — Siskiyou Mountain Wagon Road
This toll road was constructed in 1858-1860 by the Thomas brothers. It was owned and operated by Lindsey Applegate, 1860-1869, and later by James Thornton and Jesse Dollarhide. It was replaced by the Pacific Highway in 1915. — Map (db m112500) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Ashland — Tub Springs Sugar Pine
Pinus lambertiana When settlers crossed on the Applegate Trail, sugar pine trees dominated this landscape. Native Americans had seasonal camps and purposefully managed the sugar pines, including using a hook-ladder to move up the tiered . . . — Map (db m112589) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Butte Falls — Butte Springs Watershed
Volcanic cinders from Mt. McLoughlin, deposited over 20,000 acres, act as a large underground reservoir. Large springs on the edges of the deposit provide domestic and industrial water to Medford. Timber to the north and west harvested . . . — Map (db m112880) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Butte Falls — Cat Hill
In 1910 a lightning caused fire ravaged 12,000 acres on these slopes, destroying valuable timber. Nature has replaced many of the trees through natural seeding. This can be seen by the young saplings below the line of mature timber near the . . . — Map (db m112879) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Butte Falls — Douglas C. Ingram Memorial Tree
On August 1, 1929, while fighting the Camas Creek fire in Washington, Douglas C. Ingram lost his life. This Ponderosa pine, a seedling at the time of his death, is preserved in his memory as a monument to his guidance and inspirations to all land . . . — Map (db m112837) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Butte Falls — Whiskey Spring and Mt. McLoughlin
Early-day explorers, settlers, and rangers named some the the places in the forest. "Whiskey Spring" apparently received its name as part of an "alcoholic" theme, along with "Rye Spring" and "Bourbon Spring" to the south. Also a few miles to the . . . — Map (db m112878) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Central Point — Table Rock Monument
Honoring the courageous men, led by General Joseph Lane who on Sept. 10, 1853 met near this spot and signed a treaty of peace with the Rogue River Indians. Col. John E.Ross, Capt. J. W. Nesmith, Capt. L. F. Mosher Capt. A. J. Smith, . . . — Map (db m112905) HM WM
Oregon (Jackson County), Eagle Point — Lonesome Hickory
Carya ovata Mary Louisa Black planted this shagbark hickory near her home in 1866 from nuts she carried from Missouri on the Oregon Trail in 1865. Of the nuts she planted, two grew into trees. This tree is the lone survivor of snow, . . . — Map (db m112564) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Gold Hill — A-83 — Applegate Trail - Fort Birdseye
"Followed down the river (with some of our too neighborly Indians) about 12 m[ile] and camped" - Lester Hulin, Oct 17, 1847 — Map (db m112839) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Gold Hill — Rock Point Bridge
The first toll bridge near this site was built before 1859. The wooden covered bridge was at one time operational by the Rock Point Bridge Company. It was later purchased by Jackson County and operated as a free bridge until it was replaced by the . . . — Map (db m112886) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — Bozo the Clown
This is the boyhood home of the famous Bozo the Clown. Vance DeBar Colvig was born here in Jacksonville on September 11, 1892. He was the youngest of the seven children of Judge William and Helen Colvig. He was later nicknamed "Pinto" by his . . . — Map (db m112903) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — Britt Sequoia
Sequoiadendron giganteum On March 22, 1862, the day of his son Emil's birth, Peter Britt planted this giant sequoia by his home. Britt was a pioneer photographer, skilled horticulturist, and leader in Southern Oregon's lucrative fruit . . . — Map (db m112590) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — China QuarterJacksonville, Oregon 1865
(Marker 1) In the 1860s the view from this spot on Main street would have looked much different than it does today. During the the Gold Rush boom of the 1850s, Jacksonville's early merchants and shopkeepers located their businesses along . . . — Map (db m112901) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — History of Local Telephone Service
"Working Together" as Partners in Communications and Education A RESEARCH PROJECT BY GRIFFIN CREEK STUDENTS SALUTES THE HISTORY OF LOCAL TELEPHONE SERVICE First Phone Line - 1890 Sunset Telephone Company - 1898 Home Telephone Company - . . . — Map (db m112894) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — History Right Here - Going for the Gold
The first gold miners on this site in 1851 were in the right place at the right time. They found gold on Jackson Creek, possibly along the base of the hill across the parking lot. No one knows for certain; the route of the creek has changed . . . — Map (db m112895) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — History Right Here - Horse Powers
Both horses and horsepower figure prominently in this site's past. In the 1860s, William J. Plymale (1837-1904) opened a livery stable at Oregon and "D" streets. He sold feed and kept horses and buggies on hand. Steam Driven Horsepower . . . — Map (db m112896) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — Rich GulchGold First Found Here 1851
Gold found here in 1851 by James Cluggage John R. Poole — Map (db m12617) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — The Britt House: Simple Frame to Cottage Gothic
It was in early November 1852, when 33-year-old Peter Britt arrived in Jacksonville pushing a two-wheeled cart full of photographic equipment. He selected a home site on this very hillside, with its magnificent view, to build a small log cabin for . . . — Map (db m112900) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Jacksonville — Warren Lodge No. 10
(Marker 1) On this site, in the year 1859, Warren Lodge No. 10 Ancient Free and Accepted Masons erected the first Masonic temple in southern Oregon. Jackson County used the first floor as a courthouse and purchased the building in 1867. The . . . — Map (db m112899) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Medford — Medford Auto Company BuildingHistoric Renovation Award 2008
This single-story concrete structure was built in 1926 for the Medford Auto Company, and is one of many similar structures built on this portion of the Pacific Highway referred to as "auto row" from 1925 to 1930. This building was home to the Buick . . . — Map (db m112838) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Medford — Medford Public Library
Medford Public Library Gift of Mr. Andrew Carnegie Erected 1911 — Map (db m112538) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Medford — Replica of the Statue of Liberty
With the faith and courage of their forefathers who made possible the freedom of these United States The Boy Scouts of America dedicate this copy of the Statue of Liberty as a pledge of everlasting fidelity and loyalty . . . — Map (db m112539) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Rogue River — Evan's Ferry
Davis Evans established the first ferry this site in 1851. It was known as Jewett's Ferry, 1853-1861. The 1862 flood destroyed the ferry, but it was replaced. The Woodville (Rogue River) Bridge was built in 1909. — Map (db m112488) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Rogue River — Fort Birdseye
Near Site Of Fort Birdseye 1855 Log House Built 1856 — Map (db m112487) HM
Oregon (Jackson County), Ruch — Ruch1976
Casper M. Ruch started the Ruch settlement at this cross roads site between Crescent City and Jacksonville in 1896. On ten acres purchased from J.M. McDonough be built a home, blacksmith shop, warehouse, dance hall, store, and smoke house, curing . . . — Map (db m112485) HM
Oregon (Jefferson County), Madras — The Old Jefferson County Jail
On April 12, 1915 Jefferson County purchased a jail cell unit from E.T. Barnum Iron Works of Detroit Michigan. It consisted of a steel grating cage with two cells with a front prisoner's corridor. This unit was shipped by rail to the temporary newly . . . — Map (db m112869) HM
Oregon (Jefferson County), Madras — Veteran War Memorial Plaza
The Veteran War Memorial Plaza is dedicated to the air pioneers and U.S. Army Corp pilots, crew members and military personnel from Jefferson County who served in World War II. At one time, the Madras Airport was the "Madras Army Airbase, . . . — Map (db m112870) HM WM
Oregon (Jefferson County), Terrebonne — Peter Skene OgdenOregon History
This park is named for Peter Skene Ogden, 1793-1854. In the fall of 1825, Ogden led a Hudston's Bay Company trapping party on the first recorded journey into central Oregon, crossing the country to the north and east into the Crooked River Valley . . . — Map (db m67889) HM
Oregon (Jefferson County), Terrebonne — The Oregon Trunk Railroad Bridge
The Oregon Trunk Railway Bridge, constructed in 1911, was the first structure to cross this spectacular gorge. Prior to construction the only crossing of the Crooked River in this region was located about a mile upstream, where the canyon's sheer . . . — Map (db m80490) HM
Oregon (Josephine County), Cave Junction — Fort Briggs
A refuge for white settlers during the Indian wars of 1855-1856 stood on this site. George E. Briggs took up a donation land claim in February 1854 and built a cabin of squared logs. he farmed and ran a freight packing operation in 1856. Briggs, . . . — Map (db m112483) HM
Oregon (Josephine County), Cave Junction — Smokejumper Tree
Pinus jeffreyi In Oregon, Jeffrey pines are found only in the state's southwest corner. They are especially adapted to local dry, infertile, serpentine soils as seen in the surrounding flat lands and distant mountains. These trees resist . . . — Map (db m112563) HM
Oregon (Josephine County), Cave Junction — Triple NicklesHeroes in the Sky
Triple Nickels Formed in 1943, the all-Black 555th Parachute Infantry Battalion was the first opportunity for African officers and enlisted men to become paratroopers in the segregated US Army during World War II. Racial Segregation . . . — Map (db m112484) HM
Oregon (Josephine County), Grants Pass — Memorial to Our Fathers
Memorial To Our Fathers of the 1861 - Civil War - 1865 Grants Pass Ore. — Map (db m112517) WM
Oregon (Josephine County), Grants Pass — 524 — Mormon Sugar Beet Factory Site
On this site in 1916, the Oregon Utah Sugar Company erected a large beet factory. C.W. Nibley, director of the company and presiding bishop of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons/L.D.S.), oversaw the project. Nibley's sons, . . . — Map (db m112529) HM
Oregon (Josephine County), Grants Pass — The Perkinsville Ferry
Joel Perkins was an ambitious young man looking for riches. Perkins arrived in Oregon in 1844 at the age of 23 with his mother, father, and four siblings. In 1851 Joel followed wagon tracks from the Willamette Valley to one of the best spots to . . . — Map (db m100215) HM
Oregon (Josephine County), Grants Pass — Union Veterans of the Civil War
In Memory Of Union Veterans of the 1861 Civil War 1865 — Map (db m112515) WM
Oregon (Josephine County), Wilderville — Wilderville Post Office
One of the oldest Post Offices still standing in operation in what would have been the State of Jefferson if Japan had not attacked Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7th 1941. This Post Office was established in what was called Slate Creek. It was established . . . — Map (db m112513) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Bly — Balloon BombOregon History
Very near here, on a warm spring day in 1945, six people-a woman and five children-were killed by a Japanese "balloon bomb," or Fugo. The party had arrived for a picnic when they discovered the deflated balloon. While they gathered around the . . . — Map (db m112533) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Bonanza — Bonanza"The Cloverleaf City"
Officially, Bonanza was founded July 11, 1873 when Ira P. Chandler homesteaded the site. Unofficially, Bonanza was founded sometime prior to the beginning of the Modoc War, when John S. Shook pre-empted the land east of Lost River, opposite Big . . . — Map (db m112933) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Bonanza — Gerber Ranch
Gerber Ranch was established in this location by Louis E. Gerber in 1886 and acquired for reservoir in 1923. — Map (db m112840) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Bonanza — Haynesville
Platted by Simpson Wilson Feb. 17. 1885. This building housed a store and post office. — Map (db m112934) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Chiloquin — Collier Memorial Logging Museum
From Bull-teams To Helicopters, From Misery Whips To Chainsaws And Tree Harvesting Machines, From Water-powered Circular Saws To Automatic Laser-guided Bandsaw Mills, Logging Was Oregon's First Industry And Remains One Of Our Most Important. At No . . . — Map (db m100216) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Chiloquin — The Klamath Tribes
The Klamath Tribes consists of three groups of people: The Klamath, Modoc, and Yahooskin Band of Snake Indians. These three groups inhabited an area approximately 22,000,000 acres in northern California and Southern Oregon. The Klamath and Modoc . . . — Map (db m112874) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Crescent — "Little Meadows"
Camping grounds of: Ogden 1826, Fremont 1843, Williamson & Abbot 1856, Lord 1860, Huntington 1867, travelers & stockmen of the Huntington/Pengra Road 1870-1910's 1897: homestead of Charles & Eva Graves 1901: Odell Post Office established . . . — Map (db m112872) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Crescent — Rourk Store
Site of the first mercantile store in northern Klamath County - 1909. — Map (db m112873) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Fort Klamath — Ft. Klamath Frontier Post
Established for the promotion of peaceful relationships between the Indians and the early settlers by the Oregon Volunteer Calvary in 1863. The post was abandoned by the United States Army in 1890. Now preserved as a Klamath County Park for . . . — Map (db m100288) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Fort Klamath — Site of Fort KlamathEstablished 1863 — Abandoned 1889
Soldiers were stationed here for protection of settlers and travelers in early days — Map (db m100282) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Fort Klamath — The First Sawmill
The first sawmill present in Klamath County was erected near this site on Fort Creek in 1863 by the U.S. Army. — Map (db m100287) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Fort Klamath — The Town of Fort Klamath
Platted in 1902. Became the business and social center in Wood River Valley following closing of the military fort in 1890 — Map (db m100290) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Fort Klamath — UMC Indian MissionEst 1876
Built in part with lumber from abandoned post at Fort Klamath. First pastor - Rev. J. H. Roork. First board - Lisa and Alec Wilson, David Hill and Seldon Kirk. — Map (db m100279) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Keno — "Robber's Rock."
Several stages were held-up in this vicinity near the Foot of Topsy Grade. Frain School just to the north. — Map (db m100333) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Keno — A-55 — Bear ValleyApplegate Trail 1847
Bear Valley Applegate Trail 1847 — Map (db m100323) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Keno — A-56 — Cooper Stage - Station Site
Cooper stage - station site the Applegate Trail - 1846 The Southern Oregon Wagon Road - 1868 — Map (db m112847) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Keno — Freight and Stage Road
All freight and passengers between Pokegama and Klamath Falls transported over this road from 1903 to 1909. — Map (db m100336) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Keno — Kerwin Ranch1875-1903
A wayside stopping place on the Topsy Road between Yreka - Ager and Linkville (Klamath Falls). — Map (db m100335) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Keno — Klamath River Crossing
Large lakes, lush marshes, and verdant meadows of the Klamath Basin foretold the richness of the Oregon country. Watchful against cattle being stampeded by Indians, emigrants encountered mud, rain, a lack of grazing, and other unforeseen hardships. . . . — Map (db m112865) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Keno — A-58 — Second Klamath River Ford
Second Klamath River Ford on Applegate Trail - 1847 — Map (db m112845) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Keno — A-57 — Spencer Creek Crossing / Camp Day
. . . — Map (db m112842) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Keno — The Applegate TrailSouthern Route to Oregon
In 1846, Jesse Applegate and fourteen others from near Dallas, Oregon, established a trail south from the Willamette Valley and east to Fort Hall. This route offered emigrants an alternative to the perilous "last leg" of the Oregon Trail down the . . . — Map (db m112867) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Keno — Topsy Station1875-1903
A post office, stage and freight stop on the Topsy Road between Yreka-Ager and Klamath-Butte Valleys. — Map (db m100326) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Keno — Weyerhaeuser Camp 3
Logging Camp Located At Hayden Mountain Meadow 1929 - 1937 — Map (db m112501) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Keno — Weyerhaeuser Camp 4
A logging camp located near Long Prairie and Meadow 1934 - 1954 — Map (db m100337) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Keno — A-54 — Whittle's Ferry Site
Below present bridge First Applegate Trail ford - 1846 One mile below bridge — Map (db m100294) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — A-53 — Applegate Trail
The trail in 1846 and later years, crossed the California-Oregon state line gap 1/4 mile east — Map (db m112710) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Beginning of a TrailThe OC&E Line
"To know the Oregon, California & Eastern Railway, one must imagine conditions in Oregon in the early 1900's." David F. Myrick, "Oregon, California & Eastern" A century ago, the Klamath Basin held an inventory of nearly 35 billion . . . — Map (db m112892) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Competing AttractionsAt Olene Gap
At this narrow point where Lost River flows westerly toward Tule Lake, there is a conjunction of historical events. "Olene" in the Klamath (native American) language means "eddy place." For hundreds, perhaps thousands of years, this site was an . . . — Map (db m112891) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Denny Creek
Here John C. Fremont camped on his second journey of exploration in May of 1846, was attacked by Indians and lost three men for one of whom he named the stream — Map (db m100269) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — EulalonaIndian Village
A Populous Settlement On Both Sides Of The River Before The White Man's Era — Map (db m100205) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Klamath County's First White Settler
Wendolen Nus occupied this site in 1866-1867. Nus was a civilian casualty at the beginning of the Modoc War — Map (db m100292) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Lost River Gap and Ford
Used by Indians; by Hudson's Bay trappers; by covered wagons; by Fremont 1846; by railroad survey party 1855; by soldiers at Fort Klamath. Site of the Modoc Indian conference in hope of averting war with that tribe; of the first water wheel; of the . . . — Map (db m100223) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Marion Apartments
Established as a premiere apartment building, the Marion opened its doors in 1928. The property is listed in Salem, Oregon with the state historical society. It was designed by a San Francisco based architect, and built by a contractor also from . . . — Map (db m100263) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Merganser
Location of a rival town to Linkville. Founded in 1870. Out of existence by 1880. — Map (db m100202) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Oregon History - Upper Klamath Lake
This is Oregon's largest body of water, about 90,000 acres. Indians inhabiting its shores ("People of the Lake") lived well on wild fowl, fish and wocus seeds. The first known white visitors (1825-26) were Hudson's Bay trappers under Tom McKay and . . . — Map (db m100204) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Pioneer Furtrader
Martin R. Frain born December 17, 1832 in New York, came west in 1850, arrived in Oregon Territory April 30, 1857 crossed Link river and camped under a ledge nearby. Established the first Trading Post at the present area of Payne Alley and Main . . . — Map (db m100207) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Stukel Ranch1868
First ranch east of Linkville- stopover place for travelers. — Map (db m100293) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — The Legacy LinkRestoring the Lake Shoreline and Wetlands
The City of Klamath Falls in cooperation with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Oregon Watershed Enhancement Board, and Oregon Wild re-established a lake fringe wetland at Marina 1 in Moore Park in 2012. The purpose of the project is to lessen . . . — Map (db m112876) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — The River LinkLink River Connecting the Past With the Present
The town of Linkville was founded along the lower end of the Link River on March 12, 1867, by pioneer settler George Nurse. By July of 1869, this pioneer used timber to construct the first bridge linking one side of the river to the other. A steel . . . — Map (db m112877) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — This Marks the Road to Topsy Grade
In 1846, first crossed the Applegate Trail. The Southern Wagon Road and Topsy Road made original junction. An Indian Trail, at first; then the Soldiers traversed these roads and in 1863, the Pony Express Trail was used to carry messages from Fort . . . — Map (db m100225) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Upper Klamath Lake
This is Oregon's largest body of water, about 90,000 acres. Indians inhabiting its shores ("People of the Lake") lived well on wild fowl, fish and wocus seeds. The first known white visitors (1825-26) were Hudson's Bay trappers under Tom McKay and . . . — Map (db m112525) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Van Brimmer Cabin 1864-1928
Originally built as a milkhouse straddling willow creek, this structure was located on the Van Brimmer Ranch, west of Tulelake, California, 13 miles from the Modoc Stronghold, Lava Beds. During the Modoc Indian War of 1872-73, the cabin was . . . — Map (db m100265) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — White Lake City
Site of a famous promotional boom town. Founded in 1905. Out of existence by 1918. — Map (db m112708) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Klamath Falls — Whitlock House
This building was erected as a residence in 1927 by then property owner Earl Whitlock. Mr. Whitlock, who moved to Klamath Falls in 1905, was a local mortician and the Klamath County Coroner from 1909-1932. H.E. Roskamp was the general contractor, . . . — Map (db m100262) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Malin — Applegate Trail
The Applegate Trail crossed the present boundary of Oregon approximately three miles southeast of here and went around the northern end of the lake which covered much of the basin, passing close to where you are now standing. The route was opened in . . . — Map (db m112699) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Malin — Lindsey Applegate
Honorable Lindsay Applegate, son of a Revolutionary soldier with Colonial ancestry, born in Kentucky, September 18, 1808. Explorer, soldier, Trailblazer. Came to the Oregon country 1843. An Oregon Patriot, served in provisional, territorial and . . . — Map (db m112625) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Malin — The Ranch of J. Frank Adams
Adams brought the first dredge into the county. Pioneered local irrigation projects. A founding father of Merrill. — Map (db m112701) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Merrill — Dennis Crawley Cabin
Situated approximately 300 yards southwest. Used during first battle of the Modoc War 1872-73 as a fort & hospital. — Map (db m112702) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Merrill — A-45 — Stone Bridge
Capt. Jack’s winter camp was located approximately 1/4 mile east of here and was the site of the opening battle of the Modoc War - Nov. 1872 — Map (db m112936) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Merrill — The Applegate TrailSouthern Route to Oregon
In 1846, Jesse Applegate and fourteen others from near Dallas, Oregon, established a trail south from the Willamette Valley and east to Fort Hall. This route offered emigrants an alternative to the perilous “last leg” of the Oregon . . . — Map (db m112707) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Merrill — The Stone Bridge
On July Sixth 1846 fifteen pioneers who located the South Road from Fort Hale to the Willamette Valley crossed Lost River on the ledge underlying this dam. In their memory this marker is placed by Eulalona Chapter Daughters of the American . . . — Map (db m112705) HM
Oregon (Klamath County), Rocky Point — Crystal Recreation Area
Site of original Crystal School established in 1893 by D. G. Brown. Developed as a recreational area by the Winema National Forest and Klamath County Park board. — Map (db m100291) HM
Oregon (Lake County), Bly — Mitchell Monument
In Memory Of: Elsie Mitchell Age 26 Dick Patzke Age 14 Jay Gifford Age 13 Edward Engen Age 13 Joan Patzke Age 13 Sherman Shoemaker Age 11 Who Died Here May 5, 1945 By Japanese Bomb Explosion Only Place On The American . . . — Map (db m112534) HM WM
Oregon (Lake County), Bly — Mitchell Monument Shrapnel Tree
Pinus ponderosa When a Japanese balloon bomb exploded at this site, Elsie Mitchell and her Sunday school class of five children, out on an early spring fishing outing, were killed. They were the only World War II casualties to occur . . . — Map (db m112595) HM
Oregon (Lake County), Lakeview — Abert RimOregon Geology
Behind you to the east is a steep cliff called Abert Rim, made of many layers of hardened lava flows. This 30-mile-long, 2,500-foot-high, steep cliff is an example of a fault scarp, produced over millenia by great blocks of rock tilting and moving . . . — Map (db m112536) HM
Oregon (Lake County), Lakeview — Heryford Building
Constructed in 1913 by W.P. and J.D. Heryford, pioneer cattlemen, the primary purpose being to provide space for the early Elks Club and office space to attract good doctors and business people. The ground floor and basement was occupied by a . . . — Map (db m112553) HM
Oregon (Lake County), Lakeview — Lake County Historical Museum
1926 - Building constructed of handmade concrete blocks by Ike Kent as a family residence. 1940-1960 - Utilized as medical and dental offices. 1971 - Purchased by Lake County together with adjoining property for future museum purposes. . . . — Map (db m112554) HM
Oregon (Lake County), Lakeview — Lake County Veterans Memorial
Honor Roll Lake County, Oregon World War I - 1917-1918 Philip Allen - Harold Neil Foster Fred T. Benefiel - Joe Lanning Robert Raymond Benefiel - Ned Miller Michael Breen - John C. Nicholson Raymond Clark - James O'Connor . . . — Map (db m112558) WM
Oregon (Lake County), Lakeview — Schminck Memorial Museum
1922 - Building constructed by Andy Underwood Contractor, as a residence for Dalpheus & Lula Schminck 1936 - First museum display exhibited in the basement. Eventually most of the house was devoted to museum display while they continued in . . . — Map (db m112555) HM
Oregon (Lake County), Paisley — Paisley United Methodist Church
One of the oldest wood frame churches in northern Lake County. 1898 - Mininie & Herman Sadler of San Francisco donated lots 4 and 5 of Block F Paisley for this structure and parsonage. Aug. 9, 1900 - Deeded to the congregation. Feb. 3, 1901 . . . — Map (db m112556) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Eugene — A.W. and Amanda Patterson Home"Animal House"
Site of the home of A. W. and Amanda Patterson. He was a pioneer Lane County doctor and surveyor who plotted a greater part of Eugene. In 1853, Patterson was also a member of the Oregon legislature and was instrumental in establishing the University . . . — Map (db m112888) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Eugene — Wiley Griffon1867 - 6/26/1913
Once described as "Eugene's pioneer colored citizen", and "one of the most industrious colored men in Eugene", Wiley Griffon was well known on the streets of Eugene. A tram operator, he drove the city's "horse" drawn trolleys. These trolleys . . . — Map (db m112881) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Lowell — Building a BridgeIndustrious Labor
Oregon's rivers echoed with the sound of saws, axes, and the other industrious banging of hammers as work crews erected hundreds of bridges during the height of the covered bridge era. Bridge construction typically started with the abutments that . . . — Map (db m112924) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Lowell — Frontier LifeEarly Settlers
After lengthy journeys across inhospitable deserts and mountains in the early 1800s, weary travelers arrived in the Willamette Basin. Lane County's first Euro-American settler, Elijah Bristow, arrived in June of 1846, making his 640-acre claim at . . . — Map (db m112926) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Lowell — Frontier LifeRangering the West
At the turn of the century, the wild frontier was rapidly shifting to settled land and the Forest Reserves (predecessor to the Forest Service) quickly became an integral part of life in the region. "Forest Rangers" (a new breed of working men) . . . — Map (db m112929) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Lowell — Lowell Covered BridgeProtecting the Past
At the turn of the 20th century, wagonloads of settlers and supplies traveling along the old Oregon Central Military Wagon Road stopped here to board Amos D. Hyland's ferry to cross the Willamette River. As more and more settlers traveled the route, . . . — Map (db m112920) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Lowell — Lowell ProspersLogging Brings Growth
Just across the reservoir, Lowell took root in the 1850s at Amos D. Hyland's homestead. First called Cannon, then later dubbed Lowell, the town grew up around Hyland's general store and large hop-processing yard. Hyland also operated a ferry that . . . — Map (db m112930) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Lowell — Lowell ProspersFlood Control
In Oregon's early days, emigrants came in droves to live along the Willamette River, but they soon discovered its volatile nature. Floods inundated the valley, property was destroyed, and lives were lost. The Army Corps of Engineers was given the . . . — Map (db m112931) HM
Oregon (Lane County), Lowell — Touring the Past
Powerful floods, heavy traffic loads, vandalism, and neglect have led to the demise of hundreds of historic covered bridges. As vehicles and logging trucks got bigger, covered bridges, such as this one, were built with wider and higher portals. . . . — Map (db m112919) HM
Washington (Clark County), Ridgefield — Early Highway of the WestThe Great Columbia River
The Columbia River, located a few miles west of here, was one of the first highways in the West. American Indians used canoes as their principal transportation between camps and villages along the river, carrying fish, roots, berries, baskets and . . . — Map (db m112963) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Carson D. Boren
Built here the first cabin home of white man in the City of Seattle in April 1852. It was made of split cedar puncheons. — Map (db m48051) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Colman DockHistorical Point of Interest
Colman Dock was built on this site by J. M. Colman in 1909. This dock was center of ferry boat activity on Puget Sound. Seattle Ferry Terminal dedicated May 18, 1966, National Maritime Day - 1966 — Map (db m112965) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Fremont Bridge
Late at night on June 15th of 1917 the world's first vehicle crossed the Fremont Bridge. Foot traffic was allowed across the bridge deck the next day and has continued in a steady stream since then, along with horse drawn conveyance, trolleys, . . . — Map (db m112962) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Pioneer Building — 1989 Washington State Centennial
The Pioneer Building is one of the finest and most ornate buildings in the District, characteristic of the Richardsonian Romanesque style prevalent throughout Pioneer Square. Constructed in 1889 on the site of Henry Yesler’s first home. This . . . — Map (db m22495) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Scion of the Washington ElmCambridge, Mass.
The tree under which General Washington first took command of the American Army, July 3, 1775. In commemoration of the 192nd anniversary of this event the Washington State Society Sons of the American Revolution erected this tablet . . . — Map (db m112961) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — Steamer Idaho WreckageHistorical Point of Interest
Beneath your feet lies the wreckage of the pioneer sidewheel steamer "Idaho", which served from 1900 until 1909 as Dr. Alexander de Soto's famous wayside mission hospital. Here Dr. de Soto ministered to the needs of seafarers and the destitute, . . . — Map (db m112964) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — The Pioneer Square Pergola
1909 This ornamental glass and cast iron pergola provided shelter at the northwest’s first comfort station, a place featuring modern conveniences such as public restrooms. 2002 The pergola was extensively damage when a truck failed to safely . . . — Map (db m47992) HM
Washington (King County), Seattle — You're Now a Part of History
The original donation of the land by the Kinnear family, the neighbors who donated the first plants to be installed in the park, and the many celebrations held in the park over the years demonstrate the community's love for the park. 1893 - . . . — Map (db m112940) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — Camperdown ElmPlanted 1875
It was in 1640 that the "Earl of Camperdown" in Dundee Scotland noticed a branch growing on the floor of his elm forest. He grafted it to a Scotch Elm tree and it took hold producing the first Camperdown Elm. The Scotch Elm is the only root mass the . . . — Map (db m112959) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — Clarence R. & Lulu (Hovey) Cranmer House1890
Clarence was a past Master of the Franklin Lodge in 1896. Lulu died at the age of 32 on June 15, 1904 and is buried in the Port Gamble Cemetery. — Map (db m112948) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — Community Hall / Post Office1906
The first mail deliveries arrived by sailing bark. The company payroll of silver dollars were hauled up in a "trusty" wheelbarrow, and counted and deposited in a safe by D.L. Jackson. A barber, doctor, dentist, and telegraph/telephone operator . . . — Map (db m112954) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — Daniel B. Jackson House1871
D.B. Jackson was Port Gamble's third postmaster. His son Daniel Leslie Jackson was the telegraph operator and followed him as postmaster and owner of this house. Daniel Leslie was postmaster under nine U.S. Presidents. His sister May married George . . . — Map (db m112945) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — David & Joyce Olson House1870
Lived in this house, 1950-1989. David Olson retired from Pope and Talbot in 1994 after 39-1/2 years of service. He lived in Port Gamble all his life. — Map (db m112950) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — Eugene & Ann DeFord House1873
Raised in Port Gamble, Eugene returned from World War II and began his career in 1947 on "Green Chain". He held every job in the mill and retired in 1985 as plant manager. — Map (db m112951) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — Fire Hall
The fire hall building, its origin uncertain, was apparently installed or moved between the Masonic Lodge and the Community Hall between 1929 and 1956. The mill workers acted as a volunteer fire department for the mill and town. The building was . . . — Map (db m112952) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — Franklin Lodge No. 51871-1872
Franklin Lodge is the oldest active Masonic lodge in Washington. It was chartered September 6, 1859 when its eight original members carried a petition by canoe to Steilacoom. The hall originally stood where the store is today. It wasn't turned . . . — Map (db m112946) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — James & Sarah Thompson House1859
This is the oldest continuously occupied house in the state of Washington. James Thompson came to Port Gamble on the schooner Towana and his descendants lived in the home for more than 99 years. The Thompsons owned the house as private property and . . . — Map (db m112957) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — Leo & Goldie Hammersmith House1918-1919
Leo came to Pope & Talbot from the Hammersmith Mill in Yelm, WA. Leo married Goldie on July 4th, 1915, which was also Goldie's 18th birthday. Leo and Goldie had no children. Leo retired as mill manager in 1958, moved to Portland and passed away in . . . — Map (db m112944) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — M.S. Drew House1860
As timber agent for Puget Mill Company, Mike Drew bought so much land the company became the largest owner of timberland in Washington. By 1880 he and his wife Susan lived here with their five children. — Map (db m112953) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — Morrill S. Pope HouseBuilt 1900-1901
This house was barged over from Port Ludlow after 1929. At Port Ludlow, this was Morrill Pope's house, who was supervisor of the mill. This house replaces the earlier John Seavey house that had stood here since 1870. — Map (db m112941) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — New York House1863
The house was built by the company in order to attract and retain the resident physicians who lived there over a long period of time. It likely served both as hospital and home to the town's resident physician until sometime prior to 1929, when the . . . — Map (db m112949) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — Port Gamble General Store & Office
Port Gamble's first store opened for business before the mill was up and running. It sold merchandise to employees, Indians, settlers, ships, and logging camps. This is the town's fifth store building and the first to be located on the bluff. . . . — Map (db m112955) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — Port Gamble Market1903
Here the company sold meat and vegetables raised by local farmers. The building was remodeled into a garage after the market moved into the store building in 1916 — Map (db m112956) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — St. Paul's Church1878-1979
Modeled after the Congregational Church of East Machias, Maine. The steeple bell was a gift from the San Francisco Pope & Talbot's officers' wives. It arrived by sailing vessel in 1879. The church's steeple and original Congregational affiliation . . . — Map (db m112960) HM
Washington (Kitsap County), Port Gamble — WM. Walker - E.G. Ames House1878-1979
William Walker, master mechanic, lived here with his wife Emma, daughter Maude, and son-in-law Edwin Ames. The house was close to the mill so Walker was nearby in case of emergencies. Ames was the resident manager from 1883-194 and then general . . . — Map (db m112958) HM

396 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 196
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.