Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

500 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 300
 
Bear Gulch Marker image, Touch for more information
By Joseph Beeman, May 28, 2006
Bear Gulch Marker
Alaska (Sitka Borough), Sitka — Emmons HouseHistoric Sitka Alaska
Captain George Foster Emmons (1811-1884), commander of the USS Ossipee, sailed into the Sitka harbor with United States and Russian Commissioners for the ceremony transferring the Alaskan territory to the United States on 18 October . . . — Map (db m118712) HM
California (Imperial County), Ogilby — Obregon
The historic gold mining community of Obregon lies near here in the Cargo Muchacho Mountains. As a frontier town, Obregon marks the location of several attempts to extract ore during the 1890s through the 1930s. Several different milling . . . — Map (db m51577) HM
California (Inyo County), Bishop — Slim Princess
The Slim Princess “Engine 9” was built in 1909 and first saw service on the 36 inch narrow gauge rails (standard gauge is 4 feet 8 ½ inches) of the Nevada, California and Oregon Railroad. It came to the Mina Branch of the Southern . . . — Map (db m78315) HM
California (Inyo County), Death Valley — Keane Wonder Mine
During the first two decades of this century the Keane Wonder Mine was the scene of major investment and development. The products of this labor were the riches - gold and silver. About 1903, Jack Keane, prospector, discovered gold in this area . . . — Map (db m115907) HM
California (Inyo County), Furnace Creek — Old Dinah1894
Steam tractor and ore wagons introduced at Old Borate to replace the twenty mule teams and replaced in turn by the Borate and Daggett Railroad. The tractor was later used and abandoned on the Beatty-Keane Wonder Mine in Death Valley. — Map (db m115058) HM
California (Inyo County), Independence — A Community's Living RoomManzanar National Historic Site
This auditorium is one of three original buildings remaining here from Manzanar War Relocation Center. As you walk closer, listen for laughter, tears, music—the sounds of celebration and sadness that once echoed through this building’s . . . — Map (db m122704) HM WM
California (Inyo County), Independence — 850 — Manzanar
In the early part of the World War II, 110,000 persons of Japanese ancestry were interned in relocation centers by Executive Order No. 9066, issued on February 19, 1942. Manzanar, the first of ten such concentration camps, was bounded by . . . — Map (db m122703) HM WM
California (Inyo County), Panamint Springs — Charcoal Kilns
Editor's Note: The original marker has been replaced. Replacement Marker: Built in 1877, these kilns produced charcoal for the Modock Mine smelter about 20 miles to the west. Workers filled the stone kilns with piñon pine . . . — Map (db m89561) HM
California (Inyo County), Shoshone — Ashford Mill Ruins
In 1914, gold ore from the Golden Treasure Mine, 5 miles to the east, was processed here for shipment to a smelter. Legend has it that the Ashford Brothers sold the mine for $50,000 to a Hungarian Count, who later sold it to B.W. McCausland for . . . — Map (db m89558) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — F-101B • “Voodoo”McDonnell
Originally developed from the McDonnell XF-88 penetration fighter, the F-101 was designed as a long-range bomber escort for the Strategic Air Command. The prototype made its first flight at Edwards AFB in September 1954. When high-speed, . . . — Map (db m115497) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — F-105D • “Thunderchief”Republic
The YF-105 completed its maiden flight at Edwards AFB in October 1955, easily exceeding Mach One, even though it was powered by a J57 engine - much less powerful than its projected power plant, the J75. The D-model “Thud” added water . . . — Map (db m115494) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — F-106B • “Delta Dart”Convair
The F-106 Delta Dart had a long and illustrious career at Edwards AFB. The prototype A-model made its first flight here on 26 Dec 56. On 15 Dec 59, Col Joe Rogers piloted as F-106 A to a world speed record of 1,525.695 mph (Mach 2.41) here. In Apr . . . — Map (db m115495) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — Jackie Cochran"F-104 Starfighter Record Setter"
During her extraordinary 40-year flying career, aviation pioneer Jacqueline "Jackie" Cochran established more speed, altitude and distance records than any other pilot, male or female, in aviation history. While flying a USAF F-86A Sabre here at . . . — Map (db m115116) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — TF-102A • “Delta Dagger”Convair
The F-102 was developed from the Convair XF-92 delta wing research aircraft of the late 1940s and the prototype made its initial flight in October 1953 at Edwards AFB. It became operational with the Air Defense Command in 1956. At the peak of . . . — Map (db m115469) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — YC-15McDonnell Douglas
Two built by McDonnell Douglas (now Boeing) as Advanced Medium STOL Transport (AMST) with Short Take Off and Landing ability. First flight 26 Aug 1975, landing at Edwards AFB. Pioneered supercritical wing on large aircraft; advanced airlift state . . . — Map (db m115466) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — YF-100A “Super Sabre”North American
The F-100 was the USAF’s first operational aircraft capable of flying faster than the speed of sound (760 mph) in level flight. The prototype YF-100A made its initial flight on 25 May 1953 and the first production aircraft was completed in October . . . — Map (db m115496) HM
California (Kern County), Frazier Park — El Camino Viejo
El Camino Viejo (The Old Highway) began as an inland trail prior to 1800. It was originally a refugee route running between present day San Pedro in Southern California to the East Oakland area in the north. It was used by Indians, trappers, . . . — Map (db m116500) HM
California (Kern County), Johannesburg — Major Michael Adams, USAFThe First In-Flight Fatality of the American Space Program
In memory of his contribution: Major Michael Adams, USAF, The First In-Flight Fatality of the American Space Program On November 15, 1967 Adams conducted a sub-orbital space flight with the mission of performing six scientific . . . — Map (db m92271) HM
California (Kern County), Lebec — 283 — Don Pedro Fages
In 1772, Don Pedro Fages, leaving the first written record of explorations in the south San Joaquin Valley, passed this site, traveling from San Diego to San Luis Obispo via Cajón Pass, Mojave Desert, Hughes Lake, Antelope Valley, Tejón Pass, . . . — Map (db m20132) HM
California (Kern County), McKittrick — 498 — McKittrick Brea PitCalifornia Historical Landmark
Located one-eigth mile west of here is ancient asphaltum seepage in which hundreds of Pleistocene (15,000 - 50,000 years ago) birds and animals were trapped. Site first explored in 1925 by the University of California, with excavation completed in . . . — Map (db m42707) HM
California (Kern County), Ridgecrest — Coso Rock Art DistrictBig and Little Petroglyph Canyon — National Historic Landmark —
This District possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States Of America.

The Coso Rock Art District contains the largest concentration of unaltered prehistoric petroglyphs and associated sites in North . . . — Map (db m116049) HM

California (Kern County), Ridgecrest — William Henry "Burro" Schmidt
A Monument to Determination and Perserverance William Henry "Burro" Schmidt Took thirty eight years to hand dig this half-mile long tunnel--Completed in 1936 Born in Rhode Island, January 30, 1871 Died in Ridgecrest, Calif., January . . . — Map (db m114470) HM
California (Kern County), Shafter — 1022 — Shafter Cotton Research Station
The Shafter Cotton Research Station, established here in 1922 by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, developed the "Acala" varieties which were exceptionally well suited to the San Joaquin Valley. The quality of the acala cottons and the marketing . . . — Map (db m52055) HM
California (Kern County), Taft — West Kern Oil Museum
The Jameson # 17 oil derrick, which was drilled in 1917 and produced until the 1980’s, was scheduled to be torn down. In 1974 the local American Association of University Women and several dedicated people convinced Jameson Oil Company to donate . . . — Map (db m88603) HM
California (Kern County), Wasco — Korean and Vietnam Veterans Memorial
For the comrades and families who gave of themselves to insure America’s Freedom. Dedicated to the memory of SSG Larry S. Pierce, Sept 1965, MOH-RVN; Sgt. Steven Chavira, 1971 MIA-RVN. — Map (db m114465) WM
California (Kern County), Woody — 631 — Garcés Baptismal Site
Three miles north of this point was the site of the first recorded Christian baptism in the San Joaquin Valley. On May 3, 1776, Padre Francisco Garcés, earliest white man in this area, baptized an Indian boy whom he called “Muchachito” . . . — Map (db m114468) HM
California (Lake County), Hidden Valley Lake — 450 — Stone HouseState Historical Marker #450
Oldest building in Lake County. Erected of stone in 1853-4 by Robert Sterling, whose wife was first white woman in Coyote Valley. Rebuilt in 1894. Headquarters of the Guenoc Land Grant and the first store in the valley. — Map (db m16127) HM
California (Lake County), Kelseyville — 426 — Site of First Adobe Home, Lake County
Built by Charles Stone and Andy Kelsey on land purchased from Salvador Vallejo. Constructed by forced Indian labor, causing much resentment and culminating in murder by Indians of both Stone and Kelsey in the fall of 1849. Their remains are beneath . . . — Map (db m121713) HM
California (Lake County), Lakeport — 897 — Lake County Courthouse
Lake County’s century-old classic courthouse, designed by A.P. Pettit in 1871, served as the seat of county government from 1871 until 1968 when it was replaced by the new courthouse. Among the court’s landmark cases were the White Cap murders, a . . . — Map (db m121364) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Altadena — Mount Lowe RailwayHistorical Marker
Cable wheel, last remnant of Incline section, Mt Lowe Railway, Rubio Canyon to Echo Mt, 1893-1938, built by Prof. T.S.C. Lowe, D.J. Macpherson, engineer. — Map (db m122608) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Angelino Heights — Carroll Avenue1300 Block
A street of houses designed in the Eastlake and Queen Anne styles of the late 19th century, exhibiting the finest collection of Victorian domestic architecture remaining in Los Angeles. From their vantage point on Angelino Heights, these houses have . . . — Map (db m120038) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Arcadia — 7 — Adams Pack StationHistory Lives Here
A Brief History The barn and two-room bunkhouse/store that were still being utilized at Adams’ Pack Station in 2011 were built 75 years earlier by the original owner of what has become the last remaining pack station in southern California. . . . — Map (db m122240) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Arcadia — 367 — Queen Anne Cottage
Constructed by Elias Jackson ('Lucky') Baldwin in 1881. Designed by A.A. Bennett, and intended for entertaining. There being no kitchen, meals were served from the nearby adobe (built by Hugo Reid in 1839) where Baldwin actually lived. Restored and . . . — Map (db m120308) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Arcadia — Santa Anita Depot
Constructed about 1890 in Rancho Santa Anita by Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad on its transcontinental main line. Elias J. “Lucky” Baldwin donated right-of-way and bricks in exchange for agreement to stop trains, maintain a depot . . . — Map (db m120309) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Burbank — Lockheed F-104 Starfighter
The record-breaking F-104 Starfighter was created by Clarence L “Kelly" Johnson and his Advanced Development Projects engineering unit (the "Skunk Works") at the Lockheed-California Company in Burbank. Johnson received the Collier Trophy in . . . — Map (db m118434) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Canoga Park — F-1 Engine
Dedicated to the employees of Rocketdyne on the tenth anniversary of man’s first lunar landing

July 20, 1979

A cluster of five Rocketdyne-built F-1 engines lifted the 365-foot-tall Apollo vehicle from Earth, beginning man’s . . . — Map (db m113129) HM

California (Los Angeles County), Canyon Country — 590 — Lang Southern Pacific Station
On September 5, 1876, Charles Crocker, President of the Southern Pacific Company, drove a gold spike here to complete his company's San Joaquin Valley Line, the first rail connection of Los Angeles with San Francisco and Transcontinental lines. — Map (db m122365) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Compton — 718 — First United States Air Meet
About one half mile southeast of this spot, on Dominguez Hill in historic Rancho San Pedro, the first Air Meet in the United States was held during January 10-20, 1910. Subsequently, this area has evolved into one of the world's leading . . . — Map (db m50979) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 182 — Ivy SubstationMedia Park
The Ivy Substation, named for the land development where it is located, was built in 1907 by the Los Angeles Pacific Railway. It is one of the largest electric substations along the “Balloon Route” rail line from downtown Los Angeles to . . . — Map (db m121986) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 10 — La Ballona School
Originally a wood-frame structure, classes began for the 1865-66 school year as a part of the Ballona School District. In its first year, there were 17 boys and 11 girls registered in 14 classes. The teacher, Miss Craft from Boston, received $50 a . . . — Map (db m118360) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Downey — The Speedee McDonald's StoreDowney, California
This is the oldest existing McDonald's hamburger stand in the world. Its neon arches and red and white tile have become an icon of the California car culture of the 1950s. The towering neon chef, "Speedee," was McDonald's first mascot and symbolizes . . . — Map (db m51959) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Duarte — The Trails Restaurant
The Trails Restaurant started small, but vigorous in 1952 on land acquired in unincorporated territory along a two lane road known as Highway 66. A welcome stop for travelers, the steak house earned a reputation for its hefty portions, thick soups, . . . — Map (db m52460) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Echo Park — Aimee Semple McPhersonThe Lotus of Echo Park Lake
Aimee Semple McPherson (1890-1944) founded the international Church of the Foursquare Gospel and was a well-known figure in Los Angeles. After her founding of the Angelus Temple in 1923, the population of the Echo Park neighborhood greatly . . . — Map (db m122445) HM
California (Los Angeles County), El Monte — Gay’s Lion Farm
In celebration of Gay’s Lion Farm. From its start on July 1, 1925, until it closed in December of 1942, the roar of hundreds of lions could be heard throughout the valley, into the hills and beyond. — Map (db m122058) HM
California (Los Angeles County), El Monte — The LionEl Monte Historical Monument
“The Lion” dedicated 1980. Gay’s Lion Farm 1924 - 1944. Donated 1948 to El Monte Union High School. — Map (db m122063) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Elizabeth Lake — Butterfield Overland MailAnd Havilah Coachline
Butterfield Overland Mail and Havilah Coachline used these houses from 1861-1881. — Map (db m120978) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendale — 235 — Casa Adobe de San Rafael
Built by Tomas and Maria Sanchez, 1865-1871. Restored by the City of Glendale, 1932. California Historical Landmark No. 235. — Map (db m122241) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Gorman — The “Ridge Route”California Historic Civil Engineering Landmark — Constructed 1914-1915 —
In front of you in the hills, high above freeway Interstate 5, is a portion of the historic 1915 two-lane “Ridge Route". The power lines follow it.

The original Ridge Route was constructed in 1914-1915 by pick, shovel and mule drawn Fresno . . . — Map (db m119542) HM

California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — Buster Keaton Studios
1920-1928 At this site stood the studio where Buster Keaton and his extraordinary team produced 10 feature-length and 19 short films that bring inspiration to filmmakers of every generation and laughter to audiences around the world. . . . — Map (db m118887) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — 554 — Hollywood’s First Major Film Company Studio
One-half of this structure, then in use as a barn, was rented by Cecil B. DeMille as the studio in which was made the first feature-length motion picture in Hollywood, “The Squaw Man”, in 1913. It was originally located at the corner of . . . — Map (db m118836) HM
California (Los Angeles County), La Cañada Flintridge — Descanso GardensBird Observation Station
Dedicated in memory of Helen Steele Pratt, 1883-1965. Devoted naturalist, nature teacher and counselor, whose efforts led to the adoption of the California Quail as the California State Bird. — Map (db m118494) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Lake Hughes — The Old Ridge Route
The old Ridge Route thru the Angeles National Forest was opened in 1915 and hailed as a miracle of modern engineering providing safety with a maximum speed of 15 MPH and a saving of 44 miles over the former road. — Map (db m121866) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — Neil A. Armstrong
Neil Armstrong is best known as commander of the three-man team who, in 1969, piloted the first lunar landing module to the Moon’s surface. “One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind” was the phrase Armstrong used to describe . . . — Map (db m117496) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 112 — A Gabrielino Indian SiteFerndell Canyon
Archaeological evidence indicates that Indian villages were located in Ferndell Canyon. — Map (db m122444) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Address by President LincolnAt the Dedication of the Gettysburg National Cemetery — November 19, 1863 —
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that . . . — Map (db m114042) WM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 401 — Adobe of the Rancho Los Feliz
Granted on March 22, 1843 to Maria Ygnacia Verdugo in confirmation of an earlier Spanish concession made to Vicente Feliz in 1795. Later owned by famous California pioneers Antonio Coronel and James Lick. Colonel Griffith Jenkins Griffith, in . . . — Map (db m120976) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 656 — Bella Union Hotel Site
Near this spot stood the Bella Union Hotel, long a social and political center. Here, on October 7, 1858, the first Butterfield Overland Mail stage from the East arrived 21 days after leaving St. Louis. Warren Hall was the driver, and Waterman . . . — Map (db m59812) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 822 — First Jewish Site in Los Angeles
The Hebrew Benevolent Society of Los Angeles (1854), first charitable organization in the city, acquired this site from the city council by deed of April 9, 1855. This purchase of a sacred burial ground represented the first organized community . . . — Map (db m122688) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 40 — Hale House, Circa 1887Heritage Square
A superb example of the Queen Anne - Eastlake Style. Restored through the devotion of thousands of admirers. — Map (db m117173) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — In Memory of Our Ancestors
In memory of our ancestors, the Gabrieleños, who inhabited the Pueblo of Los Angeles, and called it Yangna. They lived in harmony with Mother Earth. May they now be in peace in the spiritual world. — Map (db m112688) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 960 — Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum
This stadium was originally completed in 1923. It was partially redesigned and enlarged for the 1932 Olympic Games. Both designs were by architects John & Donald B. Parkinson. The Coliseum has witnessed many important sports, political, and . . . — Map (db m116751) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal1939-1989
Constructed by the Southern Pacific, Santa Fe and Union Pacific Railroads, opened on May 7, 1939. It was considered to be the most impressive railroad station of its type in the entire west. In it's heyday the terminal covered 52 acres, . . . — Map (db m119212) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 68 — Lummis HomeEl Alisal
Built by Charles F. Lummis, Writer, editor, founder Southwest Museum. Declared Historic Cultural Monument No. 68. — Map (db m115578) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 256 — Mack Sennett StudiosThis is the Birthplace of Motion Picture Comedy
[Upper Marker] This is the birthplace of motion picture comedy. Here the genius of Mack Sennett took root and grew to laughter heard around the world. Here movie history was made. Here stars were born. Here reigned, and still reigns . . . — Map (db m120327) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 171 — Merced TheatreEl Pueblo de Los Angeles
The Merced Theatre was built in 1870 and is one of the oldest structures erected in Los Angeles for the presentation of dramatic performances. It served as the center of theatrical activity in the city from 1871 to 1876. The theatre was built by . . . — Map (db m120901) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 5 — Mother Ditch and The History Slugs
All California State Parks must have either unique physical or historical assets. In 2000, the fate of this State Park hung partially on the question of whether physical traces of history could really be found here. The game-changing evidence was . . . — Map (db m120910) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 972 — Naval and Marine Corps Reserve CenterLos Angeles
Designed as the largest enclosed structure without columns in the world by noted California architects Robert Clements & Associates, this Art Deco building, constructed between 1938 and 1941 by the WPA, is the largest and second-oldest Navy Reserve . . . — Map (db m122628) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Neutra Studio and Residences
Neutra Studio and Residences has been designated a National Historic Landmark. This property possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. The Neutra VDL Demonstration . . . — Map (db m120934) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Nike Missile Site LA96C
Panel 1: Formerly a Nike Missile control site, U.S. Army 1956-1968. Currently San Vicente Mountain Park, gateway to the Big Wild. Restricted entry, vehicles with handicapped permits only beyond this point. Welcome. Panel . . . — Map (db m118433) HM WM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 144 — Nuestra Señora la Reina de Los AngelesOur Lady Queen of Angels
This tablet commemorates the one hundredth anniversary of the erection of this church Our Lady Queen of Angeles. Built in 1814 by the Franciscan Fathers, restored and enlarged in 1912 Right Reverend Thomas James Conaty being Bishop of . . . — Map (db m113805) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Old Ironsides
This iron cannon was installed on the USS Constitution “Old Ironsides”, which was launched October 21, 1797. First in action against French privateers in 1798, “Old Ironsides” rendered distinguished service against the . . . — Map (db m122534) HM WM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 159 — Pico HouseEl Pueblo de Los Angeles
The Pico House was built by Pio Pico, last Governor of California under Mexican rule, who lived almost the entire length of the nineteenth century from 1801 to 1894. This was the first three story building and the first grand hotel in Los Angeles. . . . — Map (db m120902) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Plaza Substation1903-4
The largest and most significant of the fourteen substations in the city, this brick power-transforming plant was built by the Los Angeles Railway Company to convert electricity from alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC) so as to provide . . . — Map (db m122529) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 13 — Rocha Adobe
Built in 1865 by Don Antonio Jose Rocha on Rancho Rincon de los Bueyes. — Map (db m122321) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Route of the Settlers of Los AngelesEl Paseo de Los Pobladores de Los Angeles
On February 2, 1781, a company of settlers recruited in the states of Sonora and Sinaloa, Mexico, began a historic journey from Los Alamos, Sonora. These were Los Pobladores, whose mission was the founding of El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la . . . — Map (db m119114) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 283 — Southwest Museum
The first museum in Los Angeles. Dedicated to the Native Peoples of the Southwest. Declared Historic-Cultural Monument No. 283. — Map (db m114691) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 56 — Southwestern Law SchoolBullocks Wilshire
Los Angeles in the Art Deco Age Los Angeles leapt into the modern era on September 26, 1929. At nine o'clock that morning, the doors of Bullock's Wilshire opened to gasps of amazement. Here was the first department store in the country to be . . . — Map (db m120962) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 567 — St. Vincent Court
This was the site of Saint Vincent's College from 1868 to 1887. The college, now Loyola University, was founded by the Vincentian Fathers in 1865 and was the first institution of higher learning in Southern California. — Map (db m121001) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — The Lindbergh BeaconLos Angeles City Hall
The beacon on top of the Los Angeles City Hall was turned on by President Calvin Coolidge from the White House during the city hall dedication ceremonies April 26, 1928. The light was gratefully dedicated to Charles A. Lindbergh for his contribution . . . — Map (db m117175) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 522 — Tongva SpringsWounded Deer Springs — Serra Springs —
In 1776 Portola encamped at the springs, part of the Rancho San Vicente - Santa Monica, known as the: 1. Junipero Serra Springs; 2. El Berrendo; 3. San Gregorio; 4. San Vincente Springs. This site is on the El Camino Real route, used by the Mission . . . — Map (db m122157) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 65 — Valley Knudsen Garden ResidenceHeritage Square
A 19th Century Mansard Style "Petite Chateau" - A gracious reminder of French influence in Los Angeles. — Map (db m117244) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Manhattan Beach — 1018 — Manhattan Beach Pier
Designed by City Engineer A.L. Harris, this pier was constructed by the City of Manhattan beach during the years 1917-1920. The roundhouse building was added a year later. Harris' innovative design featured a rounded end to the pier, which helped it . . . — Map (db m114457) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Montebello — Juan Matias Sanchez Adobe
The Sanchez Adobe was built in 1845 and is the oldest home in the Montebello area. The land was granted to Dona Casilda Soto de Lobo by the Mexican Governor Manuel Micheltorena on October 8, 1844. Mrs. Josephine Scott Crocker deeded the Sanchez . . . — Map (db m122143) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Montebello — Old Mission San Gabriel
This tablet was erected by Walter P. Temple and blessed by Right-Reverend John J. Cantwell, Bishop of Monterey and Los Angeles, July 31, 1921, to commemorate the founding of Mission San Gabriel Archangel, on this ground, at Old Mission by Rev. . . . — Map (db m122142) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — Edison House
This house was one of a group of cottages built by the Southern California Edison Company to house employees in 1919 when the Edison substation in Newhall opened. The house was moved west of Saugus in 1925 when the new substation was completed, and . . . — Map (db m119564) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — End of an EraCharlie Chaplin’s “Modern Times”
Near where you are now standing, silent film comic Charlie Chaplin, with Paulette Goddard at his side, appeared in the final scene of the epic comedy Modern Times. The film was released on February 5, 1936, nearly ten years into the talkie . . . — Map (db m118782) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — 168 — Oak of the Golden Dream
Francisco Lopez made California’s first authenticated gold discovery on March 9, 1842. While gathering wild onions near an oak tree in Placerita Canyon he found gold particles clinging to the roots of the bulbs. The San Fernando placers and nearby . . . — Map (db m51516) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — 564 — William S. Hart Park and Museum
William S. Hart Park and Museum is the former ranch and home of the world famous Western silent film actor and director, William S. Hart. Today, guests visiting the park may enjoy a vast picnic area, a live collection of farm animals, a herd of . . . — Map (db m120773) HM
California (Los Angeles County), North Hollywood — Amelia Earhart
First woman aviator to fly the Atlantic Ocean. Lost at sea, 1937 during around-the-world flight. — Map (db m116360) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pacific Palisades — 840 — Santa Monica Forestry Station
In 1887, the State Board of Forestry established the nation's first experimental forestry station. Located in Rustic Canyon, the station tested exotic trees for planting in California, established plantations for management studies, and produced . . . — Map (db m119875) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — Blackbird Air ParkAir Force Plant 42
[Panel #1] Blackbird Wind Tunnel Model (One-Twelfth Scale) Aircraft models such as this are used in high-speed wind tunnels to test aerodynamic shapes, stresses, and temperatures. This particular model was used for testing all . . . — Map (db m115129) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — F-86F-30
[Right Panel:] F-86F-30 A/C SN: 23231 Construction #1021 FAA Registration N91FS Date Acquired: August, 1998 From: Own, donated by Tractor Corp Displayed: October, 1998 23 April 54 - First Flight 11 May 54 - . . . — Map (db m47721) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Harvard’s Mount Wilson Station
Station of Harvard College Observatory 1889–1890 — Map (db m119706) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Jet Propulsion Laboratory
On October 31, 1936 at a site approximately 400 yards to the southeast, in the Arroyo Seco River Bed, a group of students and co-workers from the Guggenheim Aeronautical Laboratory, California Institute of Technology (GALCIT), with the encouragement . . . — Map (db m118834) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — 871 — The Gamble House
Built in 1908, the David B. Gamble House is a tribute to the genius of architects Charles Sumner Greene and Henry Mather Greene. Its design represents a unique California lifestyle and is a masterpiece of American craftsmanship. In 1966 it was made . . . — Map (db m59811) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Playa Del Rey — Dockweiler Hang Gliding Center
The coastal bluffs of Isadore B. Dockweiler State Beach have played host to modern Hang Gliders since 1966, and are considered to be the birthplace of modern Hang Gliding in the United States. The soft gentle slopes and smooth coastal breezes . . . — Map (db m118364) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Rancho Palos Verdes — Villa Francesca
This plaque identifies the estate of Harry E. Benedict (1890-1977). Mr. Benedict, an associate of Frank A. Vanderlip, the initial developer of 16,000 acres of the Palos Verdes Peninsula, completed the gatehouse and the farmstead in 1930. The name . . . — Map (db m116802) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Fernando — Rogerio Rocha
Rogerio Rocha was born in 1801, in the village of Mapanga, and was baptized in the San Fernando Mission. Rocha became a well-known blacksmith in California. In Rocha's early years he became the Captain of Mapanga, which is known today as the town of . . . — Map (db m116612) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Gabriel — Bovard - Wilson - Hayes House and Jail
The Victorian house was built in 1887 for Revered George Finley Bovard who later became the fourth President of the University of Southern California. Milton Scott Wilson purchased the house in 1893. He served as Justice of the Peace for the San . . . — Map (db m116134) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — 894 — S.S. Catalina
Commonly referred to as the Great White Steamer, the ship was specially built by William Wrigley to serve his Catalina Island as a passenger ferry. She was christened on May 23, 1924. During World War II, she was requisitioned for use as a troop . . . — Map (db m113426) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Clarita — 168 — Oak of the Golden Dream* ← 2 Miles *
In Placeritas Canyon, March 1842, Francisco Lopez y Arballo, while gathering wild onions from around an old oak, discovered gold particles clinging to the roots of the bulbs. It is estimated that $80,000 in gold was discovered as a result of this . . . — Map (db m51668) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — Douglas DC-3“Spirit of Santa Monica”
The first flight of a DC-3 took place on December 17, 1935, at the Santa Monica Airport. These aircraft were so successful and reliable that many DC-3 aircraft remain in service throughout the world today. The aircraft on display was built here . . . — Map (db m119106) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — George Washington1732-1799
In commemoration of the two-hundredth birthday of George Washington, first President of the United States, whose wisdom, foresight, and patriotism are an inspiration to all true Americans. — Map (db m119721) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — Ocean Park Branch LibrarySanta Monica Landmark
The Ocean Park Branch Library was built as a gift of the Carnegie Foundation in 1918 on land donated by the Tegner family. The design is a simplified variation of Greek Revival architecture. Although small Carnegie Libraries were once found in towns . . . — Map (db m119662) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — Olympiad Rose Bush
Commemorates the XXIII Olympiad and marathons run through Santa Monica, August 5, 1984 and August 12, 1984, including the first women’s marathon in Olympiad history. — Map (db m119673) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — Roy Jones House
Built in 1894 for the civic leader Roy Jones. Designed by Sumner P. Hunt, later recognized as an outstanding Southern California architect. This residence is one of Santa Monica’s earliest examples of American Colonial Revival style. It was moved to . . . — Map (db m119671) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — Santa Monica PierSanta Monica Landmark
The Santa Monica Pier was built in phases between 1908 and 1916. It originally consisted of a Municipal Pier for strolling and fishing and a Pleasure Pier for amusements. The Hippodrome was constructed in 1916 to house the Pleasure Pier's carousel, . . . — Map (db m119675) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — Shotgun HouseSanta Monica Landmark
This extremely narrow cottage, built sometime between 1895 and 1902, remained unaltered for over one hundred years. One room wide and four rooms deep, with no connecting hallway, it displays the defining characteristics of a "shotgun house,” . . . — Map (db m119666) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — The Santa Monica Pier Carousel
The Hippodrome (also known as the "Carousel Building") was built in 1916 by famous carousel carver Charles I.D. Looff. Its unique combination of Byzantine, Moorish, and California design made it easily identifiable among the festive, eclectic . . . — Map (db m119676) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — Will Rogers Highway
Dedicated 1952 to Will Rogers Humorist - World Traveler - Good Neighbor This Main Street of America Highway 66 was the first road he traveled in a career that led him straight to the hearts of his countrymen. [Second smaller . . . — Map (db m119616) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Sierra Madre — Mount Wilson Trail
Made in 1864 by Benjamin (Don Benito) Wilson, to bring down timber for his ranch. Up this trail pack burros carried telescope and materials for the first Mt. Wilson Observatory, established by Harvard College in 1889. Orchard Camp (the Half-Way . . . — Map (db m123036) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Sierra Madre — World’s Largest Blossoming PlantSierra Madre Wistaria Vine
This world famous Wistaria Vine, one of the 7 Horticultural Wonders of the World, was planted in 1894 from a one-gallon pot. Listed as the World’s Largest Blossoming Plant by the Guinness Book of World Records, it covers nearly one acre, weighs over . . . — Map (db m120815) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Sun Valley — Theodore PayneEmbracing the Nature of California
Early Life. As a young man, Theodore Payne (1872-1963) immigrated to Southern California from England to pursue a career in horticulture. He fell in love with the local flora, especially our wild flowers, which were threatened by . . . — Map (db m118536) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Sylmar — 653 — “The Cascades”
This is the terminus of the Los Angeles-Owens River Aqueduct, which brings water 338 miles from the eastern slopes of the Sierra Nevada to the City of Los Angeles. Begun in 1905, the great aqueduct was completed November 5, 1913. The Mono Craters . . . — Map (db m20089) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Sylmar — Loop Fire
This park and memorial stand as a tribute to the young men who lost their lives on the Loop Fire, to those who survived, and to firefighters everywhere. Forever Honored - Those Who Lost Their Lives Raymond Chee - Age 23 • James . . . — Map (db m79155) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Sylmar — Mission Wells
Settling Basin built by San Fernando Mission Indians about 1800. Mission water supply came from these wells. — Map (db m111907) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Sylmar — 716 — The Griffith Ranch
Originally part of the San Fernando Mission lands, this ranch was purchased by David Wark Griffith, revered pioneer of silent motion pictures, in 1912. It provided the locale for many western thrillers, including "Custer's Last Stand", and was the . . . — Map (db m122861) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Sylmar — 753 — The San Fernando Pioneer Memorial Cemetery
This Cemetery, earlier known as Morningside Cemetery, is the oldest non-sectarian cemetery in San Fernando Valley. It was used from the early 1800's until 1939. It was legally abandoned in 1959. In this same year Mrs. Nellis S. Noble donated the . . . — Map (db m54544) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Tujunga — 2 — Bolton Hall
. . . — Map (db m116936) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Tujunga — Sister Elsie’s Well
Dug by neophytes on the "Rancho Las Hermanas" (now owned by Philip Begue). Was used by the padres traveling over “Old Mission Trail” during the Spanish regime. — Map (db m121428) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Tujunga — 1039 — Tuna Canyon Detention Station
World War II confinement site. — Map (db m116189) WM
California (Los Angeles County), Valencia — 556 — Rancho San Francisco
Approximately one-half mile south of this point was the adobe headquarters of Rancho San Francisco, originally built about 1804 as a granary of Mission San Fernando. The rancho was granted to Antonio de Valle in 1839. Here, in January 1850, William . . . — Map (db m30667) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Van Nuys — In Honor of Pioneer Aviators
In honor of the pioneer aviators who have given their all that the science of aviation could be perfected, enabling it to take its place in the worlds commerce, this airport is dedicated.

December 17, 1928, on the 25th anniversary of the first . . . — Map (db m114309) HM

California (Los Angeles County), Vernon — 167 — La Mesa Battlefield
During the United States occupation of California during the Mexican-American War, La Mesa served as a campsite for the Californio forces under General Castro in the summer of 1846. The last military encounter on the California front was fought here . . . — Map (db m121401) HM
California (Los Angeles County), West Hills — Ancient Live Oaks And Old Mission Lime Kilns1797 - 1806
These venerable oak trees were topped by the Franciscan friars to furnish fuel for the nearby lime kilns that provided mortar for the building of the Mission San Fernando Rey de Espana. These fused rocks were taken for their preservation, from the . . . — Map (db m113547) HM
California (Mendocino County), Ukiah — 980 — Ukiah Vichy Springs Resort
Native Americans used these springs for thousands of years before Frank Marble "discovered" them in 1848. William Day established the resort here in 1854. Ukiah Vichy represents one of the oldest continuously operating mineral springs resorts in . . . — Map (db m78163) HM
California (Napa County), Calistoga — Old Faithful Steam Well
This small but mighty steam well was built back in the 1930s. It served a variety of purposes, but was especially useful when it came to cooking. Cooking with steam is a practice that goes back thousands of years. This particular steam well was used . . . — Map (db m121732) HM
California (Napa County), Calistoga — 710 — Robert Louis Stevenson Cabin Site
This tablet, placed by the Club Women of Napa County, marks the site of the cabin occupied in 1880 by Robert Louis Stevenson and bride, while he wrote The Silverado Squatters. Doomed to know not winter, only spring, a being trod the flowery . . . — Map (db m121970) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — 48 — Old Anaheim Library
Anaheim's first building constructed exclusively for library use was erected in 1908 with a grant of $10,000 from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. The site was purchased with funds raised by popular subscription. This building was designed by Los . . . — Map (db m50042) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 21 — Buddhist Church
Built in 1935 and dedicated in 1936. First Buddhist Church in Orange County. In 1954 the Church was moved to Stanton then moved to present location in Anaheim in 1965. — Map (db m59057) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 11 — Hoffman House
The Hoffman family arrived here about 1910. A son Ed and his wife Elsa were very active during the City incorporation. Many meetings and City business were conducted in their home. June 13, 1976 — Map (db m79867) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 23 — Horse Ranch
The property was purchased by Lena and George Titus from an unknown person in 1918. It was later sold in 1945 to people that raised horses. Thus the name "Horse Ranch". — Map (db m62273) HM
California (Orange County), La Habra — 14 — La Habra Pacific Electric DepotCompleted 1909
This structure symbolizes the beginning of a new era of development in the rich La Habra Valley. The La Habra Line was one of the most significant in Southern California progress. Early crops and supplies to the new oil fields could be rapidly . . . — Map (db m117189) HM
California (Orange County), La Habra Heights — The Original Hass Avocado Tree
Through its progeny, this tree, planted in 1926 by Rudolph Hass, has played an important role in the development of the California avocado industry. — Map (db m117267) HM
California (Orange County), Newport Beach — 775 — First Water-to-Water FlightHistoric Flight
On May 10, 1912, Glen L. Martin flew his hydroplane, built in Orange County, from the sea near the Balboa Pier to Catalina Island. This was the fastest and longest flight over water at that time. [Original Marker, Removed in 2010:] Glen L. . . . — Map (db m119321) HM
California (Riverside County), Riverside — No. 26 — Mount Rubidoux
With the backing of Southern Pacific Railroad magnate Henry E. Huntington, Mount Rubidoux was purchased by Frank Miller of the Mission Inn in 1906. In an attempt to beautify the mountain and to sell residential lots at its base, a road was built and . . . — Map (db m120431) HM
California (Riverside County), Thermal — Jacqueline CochranFirst Woman to Break the Sound Barrier
monument front: Jacqueline Cochran (1906-1980) Woman Pilot, Record Setter, WASP, Ninety-Nine First Woman to Break the Sound Barrier Charter Member of the Coachella Valley Chapter of Ninety-Nines Jackie Cochran . . . — Map (db m114556) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Daggett — 83 — Daggett
This community long served as a supply point and railhead for the mines of Death Valley and Calico. In the early 1880's the first borax produced in Death Valley was hauled by mule team to the Atlantic & Pacific R.R. (later the Santa Fe) at Daggett. . . . — Map (db m78568) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Devore — 573 — Sycamore Grove
This campsite on both the Mojave Trail over the mountains and the Cajon Pass Route was probably first seen by Spanish and American traverlers in the 1770's and was noted by them in 1806, 1849 and 1850. Michael White, grantee in 1843 of the . . . — Map (db m70606) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Landers — 123 — The Integratron
The Integratron is the creation of George Van Tassel, and is based on the design of Moses' Tabernacle, the writings of Nikola Tesla, and telepathic directions from extraterrestrials. The domed structure 35 feet high and 55 feet in diameter, was . . . — Map (db m78533) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Lucerne Valley — Peter Davidson
In Honor of Peter Davidson Born in Scotland, 1826, settled in Lucerne Valley in 1883 and is believed to be the areas first white settler. He build a home on the knoll behind this site and gave food and lodging to wayfarers. He died, . . . — Map (db m63948) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Ontario — Mule Car
From August 14, 1888, to September 24th, 1895, the Ontario & San Antonio Heights R.R. Company’s gravity mule car transported citizens up-and-down Euclid Avenue from Holt Boulevard to 24th Street. The cars were designed by John H. Tayes. . . . — Map (db m37512) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Rancho Cucamonga — Bear Gulch
In memory of the California Pioneers. Bear Gulch, the home of oso. In 1779, Father Font camped here on his way to Monterey. — Map (db m383) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Rancho Cucamonga — Cucamonga Service Station
The Cucamonga Service Station was built by Henry Klusman in 1915 on the State Route which would 10 years later, be designated as U.S. Route 66. This type and style of station is one of the few remaining that once numbered in the thousands and . . . — Map (db m119923) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Rancho Cucamonga — Historic PavementRoute 66
Directly to your right are examples of the types of pavements used in California highway building during the early 1900s. This road was originally part of the Old Spanish Trail, used by early California explorers and settlers as a stagecoach . . . — Map (db m120642) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Rancho Cucamonga — Red HillCity of Rancho Cucamonga Historic Point of Interest
This site sits at the base of the prominent Red Hill Landmark. The early historic importance of the property stems from its proximity to a reliable water source, Cucamonga Creek, and to its location on the major roadway between Los Angeles and San . . . — Map (db m117911) HM
California (San Bernardino County), San Bernardino — Arrowhead Plaza
Rancho Agua Caliente by 1820 was established by Mission San Gabriel authorities in this area to supply water and grass for mission cattle. Jose Del Carmen Lugo, Jose Maria Lugo and Vicente Lugo acquired the mission lands in 1823 and built a . . . — Map (db m120649) HM
California (San Bernardino County), San Bernardino — Charles C Rich / Amasa M Lyman
In memory of Charles C Rich Amasa M Lyman Builders of the Council House 1852 First school, church, and later Court House of this county. — Map (db m120647) HM
California (San Bernardino County), San Bernardino — 302 — Settlement of San Bernardino
(top-center plaque) In March 1851 Charles C. Rich and Amasa M. Lyman, apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, left Utah with 437 people "to establish a stronghold for the gathering of saints in California." Jefferson . . . — Map (db m120645) HM
California (San Bernardino County), San Bernardino — 44 — Site of Mormon Stockade
On this site in 1839 was built the first house in San Bernardino, the home of Jose del Carmen Lugo one of the grantees of the Rancho San Bernardino. Also on this site in 1851 a stockade of logs was built as a protection against Indians. In it . . . — Map (db m120632) HM
California (San Bernardino County), San Bernardino — The Council House
On this site the first public building erected in this county was the Council House. Built by Amasa Lyman and Charles C. Rich in 1853. Built of adobe, it was the central office of the Mormon interests both religious and secular. Later it was our . . . — Map (db m120648) HM
California (San Bernardino County), San Bernardino — To Jedediah SmithPathfinder of the Southern Sierras
Born at Brambridge in Northern N.Y. January 6, 1799 he discovered south pass of the Rocky Mts. the great gateway through which passed nearly all subsequent migration west and northwest from the Atlantic to the Pacific. He was the first American . . . — Map (db m120646) HM
California (San Bernardino County), San Bernardino — World’s First McDonald’s
Dick and Mac McDonald opened the world’s first McDonald’s Self-Service, Drive-In Restaurant on this site in San Bernardino, California, December 1948. They previously operated a successful Drive-In Barbeque Restaurant with Carhop Service on this . . . — Map (db m120644) HM
California (San Luis Obispo County), Cholame — Tribute to a Young ManJames Dean Memorial
His name was James Byron Dean. He was an actor. He died just before sundown on September 30, 1955, when his Porsche collided with another car at a fork in the road not 900 yards east of this tree, long known as The Tree of Heaven. He was 24 years . . . — Map (db m119880) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — 721 — Hill-Carrillo Adobe
Built in 1826 by Daniel Hill of Massachusetts for his bride Rafaela Luisa Ortega y Olivera, granddaughter of José Francisco Ortega, founder and first Comandante of the Royal Presidio of Santa Barbara. Later occupied by the family of Guillermo . . . — Map (db m50559) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — Moreton Bay Fig Tree
In 1876, a visiting sailor presented the seedling of this Moreton Bay Fig Tree to a little girl who planted it at 201 State Street. When the girl moved away a year later, her friend Adeline Crabb relocated the sapling to the location before you. . . . — Map (db m115203) HM
California (Ventura County), Fillmore — Fillmore's First Bank & Masonic Hall
Original Site of Fillmore's First Bank and Masonic Hall. Est. 1905 — Map (db m77901) HM
California (Ventura County), Ojai — 12 — Ojai City Jail
The county built this jail in 1929. It housed over 650 inmates during its 50 years of use. — Map (db m119678) HM
California (Ventura County), Ojai — 5 — The Ojai Arcade
The Arcade was the inspiration of winter resident Edward Drummond Libbey of Libbey Glass in Ohio. He hired the architectural firm of Mead and Requa to design the arcade. Robert Winfield was the contractor. Libbey asked merchants to contribute $10 . . . — Map (db m117492) HM
California (Ventura County), Oxnard — 17 — The Oxnard Pagoda
The pagoda was built in 1910 to house the pump which supplied water for irrigating the park. It was designed by architect Alfred J. Priest and built by Thomas H. Carroll, contractor. In 1911 the roof was raised to provide room for the band platform. . . . — Map (db m120957) HM
California (Ventura County), Piru — Governor Juan Alvarado
Granted the Rancho San Francisco on January 22, 1839, to Antonio del Valle, including 48,815 square acres. Jacoba Felz filed a claim against this grant, which was dismissed June 8, 1857. The Del Valle family chose Camulos as their home, which later . . . — Map (db m115807) HM
California (Ventura County), Piru — 624 — Portolá Expedition
On August 11, 1769, the explorers and priests accompanying Portolá found a populous village of Piru Indians near this point. Carrying their bowstrings loose, the Indians offered necklaces of stones, in exchange for which Portolá presented them with . . . — Map (db m117174) HM
California (Ventura County), Point Mugu — F-14 Tomcat
The F-14 Tomcat is a supersonic, two seat, twin engine, swing wing air superiority fighter designed and manufactured by Grumman Aerospace Corporation. In addition to its primary fighter role carrying AIM-7 Sparrow, AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles and an . . . — Map (db m120252) HM
California (Ventura County), Santa Paula — 132 — Familia Diaz CafeFormerly Las Quince Letras
Jose Angel Diaz and Josepha de la Torre came to Santa Paula from Mexico with their parents. They met in 1916 while working at Limoneira Packing House, married in 1919 and started the first cafe at their home in 1935. In 1936 they moved into a . . . — Map (db m120829) HM
California (Ventura County), Santa Paula — 756 — Sycamore Tree
In 1846 General John C. Fremont passed this site of the sycamore tree on his way to sign a treaty with General Andres Pico to secure California for future annexation to the United States. It served the Padres as a resting place; the community as a . . . — Map (db m114949) HM
California (Ventura County), Santa Paula — 76 — The Ebell Club
The Ebell Club of Santa Paula was organized in 1913. It was the ninth chapter in California. In 1917, Alice Stowell McKevett donated land for Ebell Park and erected the first half of the building in memory of her husband, Charles M. McKevett. The . . . — Map (db m120828) HM
California (Ventura County), Simi Valley — In Memory of Those Who Perished
In reverent memory of those who perished in the September 12, 2008 Metrolink Train Disaster, with hope and encouragement for those who survived, and with gratitude for the first responders for their heroism and compassion. — Map (db m114074) HM
California (Ventura County), Simi Valley — 29 — Santa Susana Railroad DepotCentennial Celebration 1903-2003
Built by the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1903 at Los Angeles Avenue and Tapo Street. Moved to its present site in 1975. Designated by the Ventura County Heritage Board in 1976 as County Historical Landmark 29. — Map (db m117586) HM
California (Ventura County), Simi Valley — SilvertownCorriganville
This town site at Corriganville had many names in Hollywood including Dodge City, Mineral City, Tombstone, and Lone Ranger Ranch. For many of those who visited this town site, however, it was called Silvertown. Whatever the name, people came by the . . . — Map (db m118905) HM
California (Ventura County), Thousand Oaks — Joel McCrea Ranch
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m112694) HM
California (Ventura County), Thousand Oaks — 5 — Lang RanchOakbrook Regional Park Archeological Area
Dating as far back as 12,000 years ago until the late 1800’s, Chumash people had established many villages and seasonal encampments in this area due to territorial and ritual privileges and the abundant source of food and water bestowed upon the . . . — Map (db m120179) HM
California (Ventura County), Thousand Oaks — Norwegian GradeHistorical Monument
Historic Norwegian Grade was built by hand between 1900 and 1911 using picks, shovels, farm equipment, and $60 worth of dynamite given by the County of Ventura. The grade was constructed by members of the Norwegian Colony and their hired help . . . — Map (db m122817) HM
California (Ventura County), Thousand Oaks — Pederson Ranch HouseCalifornia Lutheran University
When the college opened in 1961, the chicken coops located on the Pederson ranch were converted for campus use. F Building housed the campus coffee shop, which doubled as the cafeteria, and a full soda fountain, E Building served as the library; D . . . — Map (db m122761) HM
Illinois (DuPage County), Burr Ridge — Bruno F. ShustekShustek Pond
Bruno F. Shustek Sept 10, 1899 - July 6, 1930 Shustek Pond In honor of Bruno F. Shustek, who gave his life attempting a daring midair rescue of parachutist Mary Fahrney, just northwest of this site, on July 6, 1930. This pond was . . . — Map (db m119952) HM
Kansas (Jefferson County), Williamstown — 95 — Kansa Indians
The Kansa Indians (Kaw) came to this region from the forested southeast. They lived in permanent longhouses covered with bark and cultivated corn, beans, and squash. In their western hunting grounds they captured buffalo and other large animals. . . . — Map (db m63719) HM
Montana (Gallatin County), West Yellowstone — Earthquake Lake Geologic Area
On August 17, 1959, this area was hit with the most devastating modern geologic disaster in the Rocky Mountains. An earthquake of a magnitude 7.5 on the Richter scale violently shook the earth, triggering a massive landslide, large surface cracks . . . — Map (db m113832) HM
Montana (Gallatin County), West Yellowstone — Geologists' Dream
Geologists Irving J. Witkind and Jack Epstein had uncanny timing on the night of August 17, 1959 the two U.S. Geological Survey scientists were camped on a small knoll above Hebgen Lake when their camp trailers began to bounce “like . . . — Map (db m113724) HM
Montana (Gallatin County), West Yellowstone — The Night’s Peace Was Shattered
It began as an idyllic August night. A full moon soared quietly over Yellowstone country. Along Hebgen Lake and the Madison River, campgrounds and vacation cabins were full to capacity, and scores of families were camped by the . . . — Map (db m113576) HM
Utah (Box Elder County), Promontory — 10 Miles of Track
10 Miles of Track, Laid In One Day. April 28th 1869 — Map (db m4289) HM
Utah (Grand County), Moab — Balanced Rock
The forces of erosion are sculpting more than just arches. Balanced Rock clearly shows the various layers responsible for this amazing defiance of gravity. The caprock of the hard Slick Rock Member of the Entrada Sandstone is perched upon a . . . — Map (db m52002) HM
Utah (Salt Lake County), Salt Lake City — N-2 — Beehive House
Built in 1845 of adobe brick. Architect: Truman O. Angell. Home of Brigham Young, second president, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints & 1st Governor Territory of Utah. — Map (db m35565) HM
Utah (Salt Lake County), Salt Lake City — N-32 — Council HallUtah Historic Site — National Register of Historic Places —
Built: 1864 – 1866

Originally Located: 120 East on 2nd South

Architect: William H. Folsom

Construction: Red Sandstone

Served as city hall and home of territorial legislature until 1894 moved to this site with the aid of . . . — Map (db m35075) HM
Utah (Salt Lake County), Salt Lake City — Devereaux HouseAlso Known as the Staines-Jennings Mansion
Devereaux House was Salt Lake City's earliest mansion and, in its day, the most elegant. As a unique mansion in an isolated frontier city, the Devereaux was the setting of many social gatherings that included prominent local citizens and important . . . — Map (db m35793) HM
Utah (Salt Lake County), Salt Lake City — Eliza R. Snow - Leader of Pioneer Women
Eliza R. Snow Leader of Pioneer Women January 21, 1804 - December 5, 1887 O My Father The immortal poem – hymn, “O My Father” was written by the inspired poetess, Eliza R. Snow, sometime in the Spring of 1845 in . . . — Map (db m35237) HM
Utah (Salt Lake County), Salt Lake City — 20 — First National Bank Building
1872-1873, Thomas J. Johnson Cast iron facade by Richard M. Upjohn The First National Bank Building features the oldest known cast iron facade in the Intermountain West. It was designed by Richard M. Upjohn, one of . . . — Map (db m35541) HM
Utah (Salt Lake County), Salt Lake City — Great Salt Lake City Station
This Monument Marks the Site of the Great Salt Lake City Station of The Pony Express St. Joseph Mo. Sacramento Cal. Inaugurated April 3, 1860 — Map (db m35720) HM
Utah (Salt Lake County), Salt Lake City — 356 — Lest We Forget
From 1847 to 1869 approximately 86,000 persons, mainly converts to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, left their established homes to build anew in the valleys of the Rocky Mountains. About 6,000 were buried along the way. . . . — Map (db m35212) HM
Utah (Salt Lake County), Salt Lake City — 262 — Lone Cedar Tree
Although willows grew along the banks of the streams a lone cedar tree near this spot became Utah's first famous landmark. Someone in a moment of thoughtlessness cut it down, leaving only the stump which is a part of this monument. "In the . . . — Map (db m35125) HM
Utah (Salt Lake County), Salt Lake City — 162 — Pioneer Memorial Museum
Erected by the Daughters of Utah Pioneers and the State of Utah as a replica of the Salt Lake Theater. Dedicated July 23, 1950, as a Hall in which to preserve the names, portraits, histories, manuscripts, relics and other evidences of . . . — Map (db m35252) HM
Utah (Salt Lake County), Salt Lake City — N-3 — Salt Lake City and County Building
Built 1891-1894 of Kyune sandstone. Architects: Proudfoot, Bird and Monheim. Served as Utah State Capitol 1896-1916. — Map (db m35873) HM
Utah (Salt Lake County), Salt Lake City — 34 — Salt Lake Stock and Mining Exchange1908-1909, John C. Craig
This street is named Exchange Place after the Salt Lake Stock and Mining Exchange Building. As part of his efforts to make south downtown the financial center of Salt Lake City, Samuel Newhouse donated this site to the Salt Lake Mining and . . . — Map (db m35610) HM
Utah (Salt Lake County), Salt Lake City — 50 — The Bee-Hive House
Erected about 1852 by President Brigham Young as the official residence of the president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and occupied by him from the time it was completed until his death in 1877. From 1852 to 1855 it also . . . — Map (db m34995) HM
Utah (Salt Lake County), Salt Lake City — The Old Clock
Dedicated to Roy W. Simmons and I. J. "Izzy" Wagner February 2,2007 Friends and business partners, Roy Simmons and I. J. "Izzy" Wagner spent more than half a century building businesses - including Zions Bank - and improving their . . . — Map (db m35325) HM
Utah (Salt Lake County), Salt Lake City — 358 — Transcontinental Railroad
As western settlement increased, the need for an overland railroad was voiced by various groups, including Utah pioneers who petitioned Congress, Mar. 1852. The Enabling Act of 1862 authorized construction. First rails laid by Central Pacific in . . . — Map (db m35805) HM
Utah (Salt Lake County), Salt Lake City — William Staines and William Jennings
Two men figure most prominently in the history of Devereaux House. William Staines was the original occupant of this property. Staines was an English-born horticulturist whose dedication to his "mission to beautify Zion" helped establish the . . . — Map (db m35803) HM
Utah (San Juan County), Monticello — Newspaper RockState Historical Monument
Newspaper Rock is a petroglyph panel etched in sandstone that records approximately 2,000 years of early man's activities. Prehistoric peoples, probably from the Archoic, Basketmaker, Fremont and Pueblo cultures, etched on the rock from B.C. to . . . — Map (db m4615) HM
Wyoming (Natrona County), Casper — Old Fort Caspar
Originally known to trappers and explorers (1830-1847) as Upper Crossing of the North Platte River, it became the Mormon Ferry in 1847. Guinard built a bridge here in 1858, and troops from Platte Bridge Station guarded the telegraph line and . . . — Map (db m91675) HM
Wyoming (Park County), Yellowstone National Park — A Soldier’s Life
Here in Fort Yellowstone, a soldier lived with the rest of his company in the Troop Barracks (structure in front of you). A typical day began at 5:30 a.m. at the stable where the horses were fed and groomed. Activities could also include guard . . . — Map (db m87142) HM
Wyoming (Park County), Yellowstone National Park — Life in the Fort
During the season (June, July, August, September), life at the post was always busy with fire patrol, guarding the thermal features, flirting with the maids of the hotels and camps, and going to dances. There were sports as well. Baseball was . . . — Map (db m87138) HM
Wyoming (Park County), Yellowstone National Park — The Grand Canyon Of The Yellowstone
The canyon varies from 800 to 1200 feet in depth and from 1500 to 4000 feet in width. Its length is about 24 miles. The upper 2½ miles is the most colorful section. Hot spring activity has continued through the ages altering the lava rock to . . . — Map (db m45299) HM

500 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 300
Paid Advertisement