Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

525 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 are listed. Previous 200 Next 125
 
Marker and Ranch House image, Touch for more information
By Craig Baker, July 14, 2018
Marker and Ranch House
California (Fresno County), Fresno — 3 — William Saroyan House MuseumWilliam Saroyan 1908-1981 — Pulitzer Prize Winning Writer —
This was the Fresno home of William Saroyan for the last 17 years of his life. In that time he wrote: 1964 — One Day in the Afternoon of the World 1966 — Short Drive, Sweet Chariot 1968 — I Used to Believe I had Forever, . . . — Map (db m125022) HM
California (Inyo County), Death Valley — 444 — Bennett-Arcan Long Camp
Near this spot the Bennett-Arcane contingent of the Death Valley '49ers, emigrants from the Middle West, seeking shortcut to California gold fields, were stranded for a month and almost perished from starvation. William Lewis Manley and John Rogers, . . . — Map (db m129290) HM
California (Inyo County), Furnace Creek — 20 Mule Team Wagon Train1885
Used in hauling borax from Death Valley to Mojave, 165 miles - 10 days. The borax weighed 24 tons. The entire weight totaled 36½ tons. — Map (db m123894) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — Lockheed SR-71A Blackbird
Marker 1: The SR-71 Blackbird served NASA as a high-speed, high-altitude research aircraft capable of attaining altitudes above 85,000 feet with a cruising speed up to Mach 3.32 (2,193 mph). To enable it to withstand high temperatures . . . — Map (db m128309) HM
California (Kern County), Edwards AFB — Piper PA-48 “Enforcer”
The Piper PA-48 Enforcer is a turboprop-powered light close air support/ground attack aircraft. It was an ultimate development of the original World War II North American P-51 Mustang. The Enforcer concept was originally created by Cavalier . . . — Map (db m128315) HM
California (Kern County), Fellows — 581 — Midway Field - Well No. 2-6First Gusher — The well which made the Midway Oil Field famous —
Near an area of small 40 and 50 barrel wells, it blew in over the derrick top November 27th, 1909, with a production of 2,000 barrels a day, and started one of the greatest oil booms California ever experienced. “For a long time it . . . — Map (db m130234) HM
California (Kern County), McKittrick — McKittrick Hotel and Penny Bar
The McKittrick Hotel and Penny Bar is the direct successor to the old Headquarters Hotel and Saloon built by Armando Bandattini in 1898. After the business was destroyed by fire in 1903, Bandattini rebuilt it here, in its original location at the . . . — Map (db m130415) HM
California (Kern County), Mojave — 652 — Mojave 20-Mule Team Borax Terminus
Just west of this point was the Southern Pacific terminus for the Twenty-Mule-Team Borax wagons that operated between Death Valley and Mojave from 1884 to 1889. The route ran from the Harmony Borax Mining Company works, later acquired by the Pacific . . . — Map (db m123891) HM
California (Kern County), Shafter — Shafter Depot
This building originally located four blocks southeast of this site was opened for use and dedicated October 11, 1917. Until closed in 1978, this building served as Shafter’s gateway to the world as the mail, Western Union Telegraph, express, . . . — Map (db m130325) HM
California (Kern County), Shafter — 923 — Site of Gossamer Condor Flight
This plaque at Shafter Airport commemorates the world's first man-powered flight to complete the Kremer Circuit, August 23, 1977. The circuit, a figure eight around two pylons one-half mile apart, was completed in six minutes, twenty-two seconds. . . . — Map (db m131044) HM
California (Kern County), Shafter — The Green HotelShafter's First Commercial Building
Built in 1913 by Kern County Land Company to accommodate prospective land buyers for the settlement of Shafter Listed 1989 National Register of Historic Places Supported by California Office of Historic Preservation Grants Restored 1989 by . . . — Map (db m130233) HM
California (Kern County), Taft — 374 — Tulamniu Indian Site
The old Yokuts village of Tulamniu was named Buena Vista by Spanish Commander Fages in 1772. (One of first place names in south San Joaquin Valley.) Fr. Zalvidea again recorded the site in 1806. This village was occupied for several centuries. . . . — Map (db m130232) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Acton — Acton Community Presbyterian Church
The Acton Community Presbyterian Church began as the Union Moral and Religious Association of Acton. The association's first meeting was held on April 28, 1888. The first formal service took place on June 17, 1888 at the Little White School which . . . — Map (db m127488) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Bell Gardens — 984 — Casa de Rancho San AntonioHenry Gage Mansion
Contained within this building are the remaining portions of an adobe house built by Francisco Salvador Lugo and his son Antonio María Lugo. Francisco Lugo was a prominent early landholder and Antonio served as the Alcalde of Los Angeles. They . . . — Map (db m125567) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Beverly Hills — 665 — Portolá Trail 1769
The expedition of Don Gaspar de Portolá from Mexico passed this way en route to Monterey to begin the Spanish colonization of California. With Captain Don Fernando Rivera y Moncada, Lieutenant Don Pedro Fages, Sergeant José Francisco Ortega, and . . . — Map (db m125155) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Calabasas — 1 — Calabasas Adobe
This adobe was built by Miguel Leonis in the early 1870's. The chain of title extends from the King of Spain to the present owners. — Map (db m123885) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Calabasas — 160 — Plummer House
Known as the “Oldest House in Hollywood”, this house was built in the 1870’s by Eugene Raphael Plummer. — Map (db m126802) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Canoga Park — 135 — Canoga Mission Gallery1934-1936
A mission style stable converted to new uses as a community center of the arts of California and Mexico. — Map (db m129391) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Canoga Park — Canoga Park Fire Station #72
Built in 1931 and vacated in 1978 due to earthquake damage. Became the home of the Canoga Park Chamber of Commerce 1982. Dedicated as the Canoga Park Community Center 10/26/1986. Dedication of the Canoga-Owensmouth Historical Museum in part of the . . . — Map (db m124827) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Canoga Park — Rocketdyne Santa Susana Field LaboratoryAIAA Historic Aerospace Site
On 15 November 1950, the SSFL conducted its first official test with a Rocketdyne-designed XLR43-NA-1 large liquid propellant rocket engine, which later became the Redstone engine. Encompassing 2558 acres, 18 large static test stands, 5 component . . . — Map (db m130040) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Chatsworth — Garden of the GodsIverson Movie Ranch
Garden of the Gods was part of the Iverson Movie Ranch which flourished from 1912 until the late 1960s, the golden era of the "B” Western movies. This site was known as the "most shot up location in movie history.” Hollywood . . . — Map (db m127037) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Chatsworth — 92 — Old Santa Susana Stage Road‘Devil’s Slide’
Old Santa Susana Stage Road, 1859-90. Marked March 17 1939, Native Daughters of the Golden West, Topango Parlor 269. — Map (db m131208) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 9 — The Helms Building
Constructed in 1930 in Zig-Zag Moderne style, the Helms Building played an important part in the history of Culver City. It housed the Helms Bakery until 1969, a family owned business founded by Paul Helms. Helms Bakery was known as "the home of . . . — Map (db m128457) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Encino — 689 — De La Osa AdobeLos Encinos State Historical Monument
This dwelling, built in 1849 by Don Vincente de la Osa, was a favored stopping place for the numerous travelers on El Camino Real. It stands on land that is part of the one-square-league Rancho El Encino granted in 1845 by Governor Pio Pico to three . . . — Map (db m131161) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendale — Glendale Station ClockOak of Peace
The General Andres Pico Oak Tree once stood in Rancho San Rafael in an area that later became part of the City of Glendale. This tree played a significant role in the history of California. On January 11, 1847, representatives of Los Estados Unidos . . . — Map (db m128302) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendale — 910 — Riverside Drive Bridge
Originally known as the Victory Boulevard bridge, the Riverside Drive bridge was constructed in 1938 to improve a bottleneck caused by an earlier wooden bridge. It was partially funded by President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s Works Progress . . . — Map (db m129133) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendale — 637 — San Rafael RanchoCatalina Verdugo Adobe
San Rafael Rancho, first granted to José Maria Verdugo, Oct. 20, 1784. Catalina Adobe built about 1828. And, General Andres Pico oak tree camp site, before he surrendered to General John C. Fremont, 1847. — Map (db m128201) HM WM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendora — 3 — Big Tree
The Big Tree was planted in the late 1880’s by Mr. Edgar J. Owens, one of Glendora’s early residents. The tree, botanical name Ficus Macrophylla, is commonly called Moreton Bay Fig and is named after the Moreton Bay region of Australia where the . . . — Map (db m127852) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendora — 912 — Glendora Bougainvillea
Planted in 1901 by the R.W. Hamlins, early citrus growers, the Glendora bougainvillea is the largest growth of this exotic plant in the United States. The parent stock was brought to California by a whaling ship about 1870, and the vines survive as . . . — Map (db m127847) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Glendora — Rubel CastleHistoric District
Built by Michael Clarke Rubel and hundreds of volunteers, 1968 to 1986, from local river rock and salvaged materials. This property has been listed in The National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior in . . . — Map (db m123040) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Granada Hills — Lopez Station
Near this site of the Los Angeles Dam and reservoir were located a Butterfield Stage station, 1861 - 1874; San Fernando Valley’s first English-speaking school, 1860 - 1883; and its first post office, 1869 - 1874. — Map (db m127534) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — 18 — Capitol Records Building
The world's first circular office structure was designed to resemble a stack of 45 rpm records. Artists recording in its studios since its completion in 1956 have included such luminaries as Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Peggy Lee, Dean Martin, the . . . — Map (db m127027) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — Chinese Heaven DogsMing Dynasty 1403 - 1643
Heaven Dogs were believed by the Chinese to ward off evil spirits and were widely used to guard the sacred Ming Tombs in the interior of China. They were first introduced in the reign of Huo Pin in 117 BC and achieved their greatest vogue in the . . . — Map (db m128836) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — 42 — El Capitan Theatre
The most lavish of four Hollywood Blvd. theatres designed for live performances opened in 1926, featuring stars such as Joan Fontaine, Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., Lon Chaney, Jr., Buster Keaton, Clark Gable, Henry Fonda, Jason Robards and Will Rogers. . . . — Map (db m129363) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — Hollywood & Vine
Hollywood was given its name by pioneers Mr. and Mrs. Horace H. Wilcox. They subdivided their ranch in 1887 and called two dirt cross-roads Prospect Avenue and Weyse Avenue. Prospect Avenue, the main artery, was renamed Hollywood Boulevard and Weyse . . . — Map (db m128863) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — The Magic Castle
In Sept. 1961, Milton Page Larsen leased this building, which would become the world-famous Magic Castle, with a handshake and a dream. Renovations began on the historic 1910 Rollin B. Lane mansion with the help and contributions of many friends . . . — Map (db m128765) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — 248 — United Methodist Church
First United Methodist Church, 1930. A Gothic revival edifice constructed of steel and exposed concrete, standing as a visual beacon in the heart of Hollywood. — Map (db m128905) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Inglewood — 363 — Centinela SpringsAguaje de la Centinela
On this site, bubbling springs once flowed from their source in a deep water basin which has existed continuously since the Pleistocene Era. Prehistoric animals, Indians, and early Inglewood settlers were attracted here by the pure artesian water. . . . — Map (db m126337) HM
California (Los Angeles County), La Verne — 386 — La Casa de Carrion
This house, built in 1868 by Saturnio Carrion, was restored in 1951 by Paul E. Traweek. California Registered Historical Landmark No. 386. — Map (db m127951) HM
California (Los Angeles County), La Verne — Lordsburg Townsite
This transportation kiosk salutes the past and future role of transportation in shaping the city of La Verne.

Founded by entrepreneur Isaac W. Lord in 1887 as one of a string of boom towns platted along the Santa Fe railway, the township of . . . — Map (db m128943) HM

California (Los Angeles County), La Verne — 21 — The Haugh Residence‘Hanawalt Block’ Craftsman
Built 1913-14 for Lordsburg College teachers B. S. and Laura Haugh by her father, J. P. Harshbarger. Concrete blocks were produced by the Hanawalt Bros; lumber was from the Lordsburg Lumber Company. Noted for their musical talents, the Haughs lived . . . — Map (db m128973) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — Brig. General Charles E. “Chuck” YeagerUSAF Retired
Chuck Yeager logged over 10,000 hours in 180 different military aircraft, including foreign and experimental rocket aircraft. In 1947 Yeager, piloting the X-1, broke Mach 1 at Edwards AFB. He continued to fly the X-1 as a research vehicle and . . . — Map (db m123598) HM WM
California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — Colonel William J. “Pete” Knight
Pete Knight was one of four Air Force pilots selected to pilot the Dyna-Soar (X-20) aircraft, the first Air Force space program. He was one of eight X-15 pilots to earn his astronaut wings by flying an airplane in space (280,000 feet). Knight . . . — Map (db m123639) HM WM
California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — St. Francis Dam DisasterLancaster Cemetery
In remembrance of those who lost their lives in the St. Francis Dam disaster March 12-13, 1928. This was one of California’s greatest disasters with over 400 lives lost; five of whom were laid to rest at Lancaster Cemetery. Dedicated March . . . — Map (db m131493) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — The Queen MaryThe Last Great Cruise — October 31 - December 9, 1967 —
On the last day of October 1967, the RMS Queen Mary, the world's most famous ocean liner, would leave her native United Kingdom for the last time. Thirty-nine days and 14,500 nautical miles later she would arrive off the Southern California . . . — Map (db m131292) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 1934: The Night of the Long KnivesHolocaust Monument
In violation of the Treaty of Versailles, Germany initiated an ambitious military rearmament program to restore its military strength; covert air reconnaissance missions commenced. Germany began to secure its national borders. On January 26, . . . — Map (db m130810) HM WM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — A Changing Campus — USC — University of Southern California —
For Old College, USC’s second-oldest building, September 20, 1948 marked the beginning of the end. Exactly 64 years to the day alter its cornerstone was laid, USC President Fred Fagg announced that the structure had outlived its usefulness. . . . — Map (db m130178) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — A Gathering Place — USC — University of Southern California —
His given name is the Trojan Shrine, but he is best-known by his nickname: Tommy Trojan. Probably the most popular and recognizable member of the Trojan Family, he is a physical and symbolic rallying point for the entire university. Tommy . . . — Map (db m129746) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 72 — Automobile Club Headquarters
Automobile Club of Southern California; headquarters building of the pioneer motoring club; founded 1900; built in Spanish Colonial style. — Map (db m131042) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Barack Obama ‘83
44th President of the United States, made his first political speech - - a protest against South African apartheid - - on this plaza February 18, 1981 — Map (db m130069) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Berlin Wall Segments
The Wall Along Wilshire features ten sections of the original Berlin Wall. Measuring nearly forty feet wide, it is the world’s longest stretch of the Wall outside of Germany. The Wall Along Wilshire was assembled in 2009 as a component of The Wall . . . — Map (db m125316) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Cahuenga Pass TreasureAt The Hollywood Bowl
Treasure hunters believe there is 20th-century loot hidden at the Bowl. Many have searched, but the treasure is still a mystery. The legend of the Cahuenga Pass treasure begins in 1864 when, under Napoleon's rule, France invaded Mexico and . . . — Map (db m129805) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Charlie Chaplin’s The KidReminiscing
The heart-tugging reunion in The Kid [1921] played between Charlie Chaplin’s Little Tramp and his “adopted” son [Jackie Coogan] remains one of the most emotionally charged scenes in all of film history. Remarkably, the setting for this . . . — Map (db m129617) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Christopher Columbus
Born in Genoa, Italy, in 1451; Died May 20, 1506, at the age of 55, in Valladolid, Spain; Sailed to the New World under the coat of arms of Castile and Aragon; Landed October 12, 1492 at the isle of San Salvador in the West Indies; Made three . . . — Map (db m126092) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Dickson Plaza and Dickson CourtEdward A. Dickson, UCLA Co-founder, 1879 - 1956
In 1913, Edward A. Dickson, a 33-year-old Los Angeles business and civic leader, became the first Southern Californian appointed to the University of California Board of Regents. At that time, the only University of California campus was in . . . — Map (db m127625) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 1011 — Ennis House
Ennis Brown House - 1924. Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. A master work by America’s foremost architect. — Map (db m126871) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Fort MoorePioneer Memorial and Park
On this site stood Fort Moore built by the Mormon Battalion during the War with Mexico This memorial honors the troops who helped to win the South West. The Flag of the United States was raised here on July 4th 1847 by United . . . — Map (db m128896) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Founders’ FountainThe University of Southern California
Established here July 29, 1879, to the Glory of GOD and to the Preservation of the Republic. An institution of higher learning dedicated to the search for and the dissemination of the truth to freedom of thought and discussion. To intelligent, . . . — Map (db m130534) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 744 — Historical Site
This block is the site of: First brick school house in Los Angeles known as School No. 1, built 1854-1855; Butterfield Overland Mail Company office and corral, 1858-1861; Office of U.S. Quartermaster, 1861; Corral for camels from Fort Tejon, . . . — Map (db m123038) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Honoring The LivesSylmar Tunnel Disaster
On June 24, 1971, an explosion and fire took the lives of seventeen construction workers building a tunnel in Sylmar, California. The tunnel was being built for the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California by the Lockheed Shipbuilding and . . . — Map (db m126024) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Hungarian Freedom Fight of 1956
Erected in memory of the heroes of the glorious Hungarian Freedom Fight of 1956. A symbol of man’s yearning for freedom everywhere. — Map (db m125328) WM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 62 — Judson Studios
Vital contributor to Los Angeles’ artistic development through the fine art of stained glass. — Map (db m130202) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 181 — Lankershim Monument
[Panel #1] James B. Lankershim. Born Charleston, MO, March 24, 1850. Died Oct. 16, 1931. Commissioned Capt. Troop D Calvary 1st Brigade, N.G.O. Aug. 9, 1895 and Lieutenant Colonel N.G.O. July 21, 1903. [Panel #2] Near here . . . — Map (db m125561) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 789 — Los Angeles Star
Southern California's first newspaper, The Los Angeles Star, was founded in this block on May 17, 1851 and for many years exerted a major influence upon this part of the state. Suspended temporarily from 1864 to 1868, it continued later as an . . . — Map (db m125413) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Mattachine Steps
Harry Hay founded the Mattachine Society on this hillside on November 11, 1950. — Map (db m131767) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Mulholland Drive Bridge
In 2012 this bridge replaced the historic Mulholland Drive overcrossing that was demolished to accommodate the widening of the San Diego Freeway (I-405). Built in 1959, the original bridge was determined eligible for listing on the National Register . . . — Map (db m125489) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Nancy Pohl Overlook at Fryman CanyonMulholland Scenic Parkway
The Valley Below Mulholland Drive runs along the ridgeline of the Santa Monica Mountains between Hollywood and the San Fernando Valley. From here you can see a small portion of the 345-square-mile valley bounded by the Santa Susana . . . — Map (db m129930) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Pershing Square
A portion of the area of El Pueblo de Los Angeles, established during the governorship of Felipe de Neve in 1781. Dedicated as “Public Square” by city ordinance, 1866. Named Central Park in 1893. Renamed in 1918 in honor of John J. . . . — Map (db m127309) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Rancho La Brea AdobeGilmore Adobe
Founded 1828 by Jose Antonio Rocha. Completed 1880 by A.F. Gilmore. Marked June 28, 1935. — Map (db m130435) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Route 66 & Chicken Boy
America’s Mother Road U.S. Route 66, established in 1926, was one of the original highways of the United States Highway System. It originally ran from Chicago, Illinois in the east to its western terminus in Downtown Los Angeles, on . . . — Map (db m130182) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Site of the Old Los Angeles Zoo
This Griffith Park canyon area served as the City’s Zoo from its founding in 1912 to 1965, when the Los Angeles Zoo moved to its current location about two miles north of where you are currently standing. Many of the walls, grottos, and other . . . — Map (db m128091) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 22 — Site of the Vine Street Brown Derby
The most famous Hollywood restaurant of its day, the Brown Derby opened Valentine's Day, 1929. Owner Robert Cobb was also the inventor of the Cobb Salad. He originated furnishing telephones at tables during mealtime. Celebrities’ popularity was . . . — Map (db m127028) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Spy in the SkyThe A-12 Blackbird
A-12 and SR-71, a tale of two Blackbirds. The A-12 and SR-71 Blackbirds are nearly identical in size, shape, and performance. The famous Lockheed Skunk Works designed both airplanes but they were operated by different agencies for . . . — Map (db m130540) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 763 — Studio Theatre at St. Denis Building
Birthplace of Modern Dance in Los Angeles. Built 1945. Declared 2003. — Map (db m129266) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 543 — The History of Gilmore Oil Company 1900-1945Dairy Farm to Oil Field
1872: Arthur Fremont Gilmore leaves Millersburg, Illinois and heads west to seek his fortune in California. He soon forms a partnership with Julius Carter and the two go into the dairy business in Compton, California. 1880: A.F. Gilmore . . . — Map (db m130531) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Universal City Overlook
The Entertainment Capital In 1912, Carl Laemmle bought a 230-acre chicken ranch and started Universal Studios. He kept the chickens just in case the movie business failed. He could not foresee that Los Angeles would become the world's . . . — Map (db m129933) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 728 — Woody Guthrie
Woodrow Wilson (“Woody") Guthrie (1912-1967), composer of "This Land is Your Land,” arrived in Los Angeles in 1937 along with thousands of other migrant workers and families from the "Dust Bowl” region. Guthrie hosted a popular . . . — Map (db m131321) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Malibu — 965 — Point Dume
On November 24, 1793, English explorer George Vancouver, commander of an expedition to determine the extent of settlement of the northwest coast of America, named this rocky promontory, Point Dume, after his Franciscan friend, Father Francisco . . . — Map (db m123039) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Marina Del Rey — Marina Del ReyThirtieth Anniversary — 1957-1987 —
On December 12, 1957, near this site a groundbreaking ceremony took place to signal the start of construction of the Marina Del Rey small craft harbor, a revenue bond project of the County of Los Angeles. Under the guidance of the Los . . . — Map (db m128455) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Marina Del Rey — The Helmsman
For many years, this statue stood in front of, and was a trademark for, the world renowned Helms Bakery on Venice Boulevard in Los Angeles. On October 6, 1971, it was generously donated to the Marina by the Helms family. In 1975, through the . . . — Map (db m128458) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Mission Hills — Andres Pico Adobe
Spanish-Mexican Period Declared Historic Cultural Monument No. 7 by the Cultural Heritage Board Municipal Art Department City Of Los AngelesMap (db m126820) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Mission Hills — 362 — Ranchito RomuloAndres Pico Adobe
Oldest portion built about 1834 by ex-Mission Indians. Enlarged by Eulogio de Celis in 1846. Upper story added by Romulo Pico in 1874. Restored by Mr. & Mrs. M.R. Harrington in 1930. — Map (db m126815) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Monrovia — Pacific Electric RailwayCity of Monrovia
Established by railroad and real estate tycoon Henry Huntington, the Pacific Electric Railway was the largest interurban electric railway service in the world. At its peak, the system connected Los Angeles with Orange, Riverside, and San . . . — Map (db m128929) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — American Bison
This herd traces its roots to 1962, when Walt Disney donated a herd of American Bison to William S. Hart Regional Park. To discourage inbreeding, the County of Los Angeles has exchanged some of its animals with other facilities over the years; . . . — Map (db m129211) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — American Revolution1775-1783
The American Revolution was a war for independence between the thirteen American colonies and their parent country, Great Britain. When it was over, the colonies became the United States of America. On July 4, 1776, the Declaration of Independence . . . — Map (db m125419) HM WM
California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — Saugus School Bell
The bell in the tower of this station was fabricated by the C.S. Bell Company of Hillsboro, Ohio. It weighs approximately 400 pounds and measures 30 inches in diameter at the base. The bell originally hung in the belfry of Saugus Elementary School, . . . — Map (db m123935) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Northridge — Lauretta Wasserstein Sculpture Garden“Post-Tension”
On January 17, 1994, Los Angeles and the surrounding region experienced a 6.7 magnitude earthquake centered in Northridge. To commemorate the rebuilding of the region and CSUN, we created the sculpture garden incorporating remnants of the . . . — Map (db m125974) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Paramount — 1038 — Paramount Hay Tree
The towns of Hynes and Clearwater, later incorporated as Paramount, were the center of the hay and dairy industry in Los Angeles and Orange Counties from the 1920s through the 1960s. Considered the “Milk Shed of Los Angeles”, Paramount . . . — Map (db m128218) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — 1942 Rose Bowl
The 1942 Rose Bowl was the 28th Rose Bowl Game. Originally scheduled to be played in the Rose Bowl Stadium in Pasadena, California, it was moved to Durham, North Carolina, due to the fears of an attack on the West Coast of the United States . . . — Map (db m128107) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Beckman pH MeterNational Historic Chemical Landmark - 1934
Arnold O. Beckman developed the first commercially successful electronic pH meter while a member of the faculty of the California Institute of Technology. This rugged and portable “acidimeter,” which had all necessary components . . . — Map (db m124162) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Invention of the Cheeseburger
On this site in 1924, sixteen year-old Lionel Sternberger first put cheese on a hamburger and served it to a customer, thereby inventing the cheeseburger. The 'Aristocratic Burger' at the Rite Spot is the first instance of a hamburger with cheese . . . — Map (db m131006) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Iris GardenAlfred Henry Sturtevant
In memory of Alfred Henry Sturtevant, Geneticist and Naturalist, Professor of Biology at the California Institute of Technology from 1928 to 1970. These iris resulted from genetic studies he made between 1952 and 1969. — Map (db m124155) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — 887 — Pasadena Playhouse
Considered Elmer Grey's outstanding design, the Pasadena Playhouse, an excellent example of Spanish Colonial Revival architecture, opened on May 18, 1925. The first in America to stage Shakespeare's 37 plays, the Playhouse has provided the theatre . . . — Map (db m126948) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — The First Known AntiparticleHistoric Physics Site
Near this site, in August 1932, Carl David Anderson photographed the track of a cosmic ray particle in his cloud chamber. He identified this particle as the positron — the first known antiparticle. Historic Physics Site, Register of . . . — Map (db m124150) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Throop Memorial Garden
Left Panel: This was once the site of Throop Hall, named after the founder of Throop University, Amos G. Throop. Throop University was founded in 1891 and became the California Institute of Technology in 1920. Built in 1910, Throop Hall was . . . — Map (db m124169) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pomona — 372 — Adobe de Palomares
Completed about 1854 and restored in 1939, this was the family home of Don Ygnacio Palomares, who with Don Ricardo Vejar was granted Rancho San José in 1837 by Governor Juan B. Alvarado. — Map (db m128910) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pomona — Casa Alvarado
Built about 1840 by Ygnacio Alvarado. Chapel served by San Gabriel Mission. Pomona's first public school. Dr. B. S. Nichols family home 1886-1951. 1951, Alfonso B. Fages home. — Map (db m128914) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pomona — La Casa Primera
The first adobe home of Ygnacio Palomares and wife Concepcion Lopez, the oldest house in the Pomona Valley, was built in 1837. It originally consisted of two rooms with a viga-latilla branch roof and packed mud floor. The Palomares family lived . . . — Map (db m128911) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Pomona — 934 — Pomona Assembly Center
The Los Angeles County Fairgrounds was one of 15 temporary assembly centers established during World War II pursuant to Executive Order 9066, signed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on February 19, 1942. The U S. Army confined at this site . . . — Map (db m128372) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Reseda — 629 — Adams Residence
Modern Style. Architect — Lloyd Wright. Built 1939. Declared 1996. — Map (db m130146) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Rosemead — 1046 — Savannah Memorial Park
Established in 1851, on the spot where Henry Dalton’s land grant showed "the American graveyard”, Savannah was the first public burial site used by settlers who came to the San Gabriel Valley by wagon train. Many of these pioneers were . . . — Map (db m127025) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Dimas — 10 — San Dimas HotelWalker House — 1887 —
Designed by respected architects Joseph C. Newsom and his brother Samuel, the two and one-half story hotel was built in the Eastlake style. The San Jose Land Company began construction in 1885, but by the time it was completed in 1887, the . . . — Map (db m127882) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Dimas — Santa Fe DepotSan Dimas
In May, 1887 in San Dimas the Santa Fe Railroad completed its transcontinental line. Centennial commemoration October 17, 1987. — Map (db m127965) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Gabriel — Chapman’s Mill and MillraceThen and Now
Shortly after the construction of Mission San Gabriel's first grist mill in 1816, the padres realized that it did not work as they had hoped. Located more than 2 miles to the northwest, El Molino Viejo (the Old Mill), as it came to be called, was . . . — Map (db m128986) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Gabriel — 451 — Ortega-Vigare Adobe
Erected during mission days, 1792-1805. Second oldest adobe in this region. Originally 'L'-shaped, it is now only half its original size. In 1859, it became the property of Don Jean Vigare. In early 1860’s became San Gabriel's first bakery, and was . . . — Map (db m127641) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Gabriel — Ramona Museum of California HistoryRamona Parlor No. 109 Hall
This building, built in 1951, was purchased by Ramona Parlor No.109 Native Sons of the Golden West in 1998 and renovated as a meeting hall and a place to display their early California artifacts in their efforts to preserve the “Spirit of . . . — Map (db m124459) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Marino — Camellia Japonica ‘California’
`California' is believed to be the oldest camellia plant on record in Southern California. It arrived in 1888 as an unnamed seedling and was purchased for 25 cents off a Japanese tramp steamer in Redondo Beach harbor. For nearly 70 years the plant, . . . — Map (db m124471) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Marino — 669 — Los RoblesThe Oaks
This was the site of ‘Los Robles’, the 400 acre estate of Governor George Stoneman. Here in 1880 President Rutherford B. Hayes was entertained. The first schoolhouse in the San Gabriel Valley, California's first tennis club, and the first municipal . . . — Map (db m127644) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Marino — 302 — The Millstones
Originally located in the upper story of El Molino Viejo, these volcanic tufa millstones ground grain for the indian community of Mission San Gabriel. The stones were turned by water flowing from nearby canyons. When the mill fell into disuse, the . . . — Map (db m129132) HM
California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — 920 — Casa de San PedroHide House Site
The first known commercial structure on the shore of San Pedro Bay was built here in 1823 by the trading firm of McCulloch & Hartnell to store cattle hides from the San Gabriel and San Fernando Missions. Richard Henry Dana described this adobe hide . . . — Map (db m127026) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Clarita — Power Plant No. 1First Los Angeles Aqueduct
Some sections of the original Los Angeles Aqueduct, completed 1913, are still in use. During six years, 100,000 laborers built the 233-mile-long series of canals, pipelines and tunnels that make up the gravity-flow aqueduct from Owens Valley. — Map (db m129858) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Fe Springs — Hathaway Ranch
Jesse & Lola Hathaway started to farm here in 1905. Lola was raised by her grandparents Martin & Mary Ann Koontz (near Telegraph Road & Norwalk Blvd.) They came to Fulton Wells (now Santa Fe Springs) in the 1860’s via the Oregon Trail in a covered . . . — Map (db m125326) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — “The Ink Well”A Place Of Celebration and Pain
The beach near this site between Bay and Bicknell Streets, known by some as "the Ink Well”, was an important gathering place for African Americans long after racial restrictions on public beaches were abandoned in 1927.

African-American . . . — Map (db m124367) HM

California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — “Trees of Santa Monica”
To honor George T. Hastings, author of “Trees of Santa Monica,” October 10, 1963—his 88th birthday—in appreciation of his dedication in sharing his knowledge and love of trees, flowers and birds. To honor Grace L. . . . — Map (db m130429) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — City Hall — Santa Monica Landmark —
City Hall was built in 1938 from a plan by architects Donald B. Parkinson and J.M. Estep in the Classical/Moderne style. Commissioned under the Federal Emergency Administration of the Public Works Program, the design is exemplary of the many New . . . — Map (db m128854) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — World’s First Flying Automobile
From 1935-1938 at this location pioneer aviator and inventor Waldo Waterman created the most successful of his “roadable aircraft,” the Arrowbile, which had the capability to fly in the sky and drive on the street. — Map (db m131020) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Sierra Madre — Mount Wilson Trail
Made in 1864 by Benjamin (Don Benito) Wilson, to bring down timber for his ranch. Up this trail pack burros carried telescope and materials for the first Mt. Wilson Observatory, established by Harvard College in 1889. Orchard Camp (the Half-Way . . . — Map (db m123036) HM
California (Los Angeles County), South Pasadena — Adobe Flores
Headquarters of General Jose Maria Flores before the capitulation to General John C. Fremont, January 13, 1847, at Cahuenga. — Map (db m129774) HM
California (Los Angeles County), South Pasadena — 18 — Cawston Ostrich Farm1896 - 1935
In 1885, Edwin Cawston chartered a ship for the purpose of transporting from South Africa to America some of the best ostriches obtainable in the world. Of the original 50 fine birds only 18 survived the five week voyage to Galveston and hazardous . . . — Map (db m130144) HM
California (Los Angeles County), South Pasadena — 7 — Watering Troughand Wayside Station
Erected in 1906 by Woman's Improvement Assn as a rest stop for horses and men as they traveled between Los Angeles and Pasadena. Restored by Woman's Club of South Pasadena, 1968. — Map (db m123512) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Studio City — 151 — Campo de CahuengaOriginal Adobe
Beneath this park rest the stone foundations and floor tiles of the historic adobe where Mexican General Andres Pico and U.S. Lieutenant Colonel John C. Fremont signed the Treaty of Cahuenga on January 13, 1847. Signing the Treaty ended the . . . — Map (db m126025) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Sylmar — Sayre FireNovember 14-20, 2008
On November 14, 2008, the Sayre (or Sylmar) Fire, a wind-driven fire, quickly moved through the hillside brush into residential areas above the 210 freeway and west of the 5 freeway. The fire was contained on November 20, 2008 after burning 11,262 . . . — Map (db m128526) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Sylmar — 716 — The Griffith Ranch
Originally part of the San Fernando Mission lands, this ranch was purchased by David Wark Griffith, revered pioneer of silent motion pictures, in 1912. It provided the locale for many western thrillers, including "Custer's Last Stand", and was the . . . — Map (db m122861) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Tarzana — Adventures of Superman
Production years: 1951 - 1957. Producers: Robert Maxwell/Bernard Luber and Whitney Ellsworth. Episode #29: “The Man Who Could Read Minds." Script by Roy Hamilton. Directed by Tommy Carr. A portion of this episode was filmed in June, . . . — Map (db m125644) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Tujunga — 63 — McGroarty Home
Honoring John Steven McGroarty, Poet Laureate of California, 1933-1944. Author of The Mission Play. — Map (db m129775) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Valencia — Tesoro Adobe
Harry Carey Sr. was an early silent-screen actor who starred in more than 200 films. In 1916 he took over the homestead rights of a previous settler and established his ranch of almost 2,000 acres. Carey, the first of many film actors to settle in . . . — Map (db m123931) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Van Nuys — Busch Gardens
Busch Gardens, Van Nuys, opened in 1966 at a construction cost of $4 milion dollars. In 1979, the park closed to make way for a major brewery expansion. At its peak attendance, it was a major San Fernando Valley tourist attraction which was complete . . . — Map (db m125558) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Van Nuys — 203 — The Baird House
Built in 1921 by Robert J. Baird, owner of a pioneering gardening business specializing in fruit and walnut trees. The Baird House was declared Los Angeles Historical Monument Number 203 in 1978. — Map (db m127624) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Van Nuys — The Country General Store1911
Known as the Bank of Van Nuys, the Country General Store was an H.J. Whitley development built in 1911. Family owned and operated since 1956, Nat Stanoff, the founder, opened the doors as an Army Navy store. Today, Country General Store is Los . . . — Map (db m131217) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Van Nuys — Van Nuys Library
Los Angeles Public Library, Van Nuys branch, built 1926. This property was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 19, 1987, and added to the list of Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monuments on April 15, 2008. — Map (db m125482) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Venice — History of Ballona Lagoon
Today, Ballona Lagoon is a (16-acre) remnant of a formerly extensive coastal wetland. Like other southern California wetlands, urbanization has reduced its size and degraded its habitat over the last century. Historically, Ballona was much larger . . . — Map (db m128456) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Westchester — Flight PathAviation Walk of Honor
North American P-51D Mustang The etching above, taken from an illustration by artist Jean-Luc Beghin, depicts a P-51 Mustang cockpit. The airplane was designed and manufactured in only 100 days by North American Aviation located in El . . . — Map (db m128701) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Wilmington — 147 — Banning Residence MuseumBanning Park
Built in 1864. Home of Phineas Banning, father of the Los Angeles Harbor. — Map (db m131279) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Woodland Hills — 939 — Old Trapper's Lodge
Old Trapper's Lodge is one of California's remarkable twentieth century folk art environments. It represents the life work of John Ehn (1897-1981), a self-taught artist who wished to pass on a sense of the Old West. Derived from personal . . . — Map (db m127345) HM
California (Nevada County), Nevada City — Ladies of the Evening
To commemorate that ubiquitous segment of society who have been unacknowledged; who, though obscure, made an essential contribution to the settlement of the West. — Map (db m126628) HM
California (Orange County), Newport Beach — Hang Gliding
On this site, May 23, 1971, with a gathering of enthusiasts for personal human flight, began the Worldwide sport of Hang Gliding. — Map (db m125332) HM
California (Orange County), Newport Coast — 1050 — Crystal Cove Historic District
The early to mid-twentieth century cottages in this last self-contained Southern California beachfront recreational community reflect a unique vernacular architectural design emblematic of "architecture without architects." — Map (db m131231) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — Lincoln Avenue Businesses
When the mines closed in Gold Run, a local entrepreneur named Paul Webber moved his business to Auburn. He began with the purchase of this Lincoln Avenue building. Two saloons and three dry goods stores were the first to open. Years later, . . . — Map (db m124537) HM
California (Riverside County), Beaumont — 749 — Saahatpa
Chief Juan Antonio and his band of Cahuilla Indians helped white settlers in the San Bernardino area defend their property and livestock against outlaws during the 1840s and 1850s. In late 1851, Juan Antonio, his warriors and their families, settled . . . — Map (db m131558) HM
California (Riverside County), Murrieta — 1005 — Santa Rosa Rancho
This historic site was granted by Governor Pio Pico to Juan Moreno in 1846. The rancho is a prime example of human history in Southern California. Archaeological evidence indicates that Native Americans occupied this area for over 6000 years and . . . — Map (db m127950) HM
California (Riverside County), North Shore — North Shore Beach & Yacht Club1958
This property has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. Designed by architect Albert Frey, the building resembles a ship with its curved prow, second-story ‘bridge’, porthole . . . — Map (db m131763) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — Moorten Botanical Garden
Site of Moorten’s Desert Land and Botanical Garden, established by Patricia and Cactus Slim Moorten, 1940. — Map (db m131654) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — RIV-025 — The Original Palm Springs
The warm spring here was the site of Se-Khe (Boiling Water), important village of the Kawasic Cahuilla Indians. The Spanish called it Agua Caliente (Hot Water). A stage station of that name operated from 1862 to 1876. As early as 1871 the Indians . . . — Map (db m131585) HM
California (Riverside County), Palm Springs — 33 — Tramway Gas StationBuilt in 1965
Designed by Albert Frey and Robson Chambers. Conceived by developer Culver Nichols as an entry statement to Palm Springs, the roof is a hyperbolic paraboloid of steel I-beams and corrugated metal roofing supported by steel tubular pillars. . . . — Map (db m131565) HM
California (Riverside County), Whitewater — RIV-003 — Whitewater
Site of Cahuilla Indian Village of Wanapiapa, home of the Wanakik Lineage. Visited by Jose Romero Expedition exploring overland route from Sonora to California 1823. Eastern boundary of Rancho San Gorgonio. Adobe south of highway served as Stage . . . — Map (db m126302) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Big Bear Lake — 725 — Old Bear Valley Dam
In 1884 Frank Brown built an unusual dam here to supply irrigation water for the Redlands area. The single-arch granite dam formed Big Bear Lake, then the world’s largest man-made lake. Engineers claimed the dam would not hold, and declared it . . . — Map (db m128510) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Boron — Capt. Mel Apt, USAFPilot of the Bell X-2 — In Memory of his Contribution —
First human being to reach and exceed Mach 3 - 2094 mph. Perished near this site on September 27th 1956 while returning to base on the first manned Mach Three mission in history. The Bell X-2, AFSN# 46-674, crashed at this location . . . — Map (db m125805) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Ontario — Guasti
Standing here in 1904, you would see the Guasti Stone Cellar to the southeast. The cellar was built of granite stone. This stone was all brought down to the valley from the foothills in Alta Loma — a distance of some twelve to fourteen miles. . . . — Map (db m129302) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Ontario — Olive MillGraber Olive House
This mill was used in the early days of California. Olives were placed in the large vessel and crushed by the solid granite wheels, weighing about 12,000 lbs. The crushed olives were pushed into burlap sacks that were placed over the gate. The . . . — Map (db m127363) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Redlands — 43 — Mill Creek Zanja
Spanish missionaries introduced the principle of irrigation in San Bernardino Valley, thus opening the way to settlement. Franciscan Fathers engineered, and Indians dug, this first ditch (or "zanja") in 1819-20. In historical sequence the zanja . . . — Map (db m125944) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Redlands — 42 — San Bernardino Asistencia
This branch of San Gabriel Mission was constructed about 1830 on the San Bernardino Rancho. During the 1840's, its buildings were used by José del Carmen Lugo as part of his rancho grant. Later, after its sale to the Mormons, it was occupied by . . . — Map (db m131701) HM
California (San Bernardino County), San Bernardino — 618 — Garces-Smith MonumentThe Mojave Indian Trail
Traveled by Fr. Francisco Garcés, March, 1776, and Jedediah S. Smith, November, 1826. — Map (db m127804) HM
California (San Bernardino County), San Bernardino — San Bernardino Santa Fe Depot
Atchison Topeka & Santa Fe railway built San Bernardino‘s first permanent train depot in 1886 to meet the growing number of rail passengers and to house its Los Angeles division administrative and freight offices. This two-and-a-half-story wooden . . . — Map (db m124518) HM
California (San Bernardino County), San Bernardino — 977 — The Arrowhead Landmark
Located on the hills above San Bernardino, the Arrowhead has been an important landmark for centuries. It is believed to be a natural feature but its true origin is unknown. The distinctive arrowhead shape is visible because the white sage, which . . . — Map (db m126067) HM
California (San Luis Obispo County), McKittrick — Wallace CreekSan Andreas Fault
Welcome to Wallace Creek. Yes, you are looking at a creek. Wallace Creek may seem insignificant compared to other streams or rivers, after all, on most days of the year, it is bone dry. But it tells an important and exciting story. As you can . . . — Map (db m126611) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — Juana MariaThe Lone Woman of San Nicolas Island
Indian woman abandoned on San Nicolas Island eighteen years. Found and brought to Santa Barbara by Capt. George Nidever in 1853. — Map (db m125709) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — 309 — Mission Historical ParkThe City of Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara Mission was founded December 4, 1786. Portions of five units of its extensive water works, built by Indian labor, are preserved in this park-a filter house, Spanish grist mill, sections of aqueducts, and two reservoirs. The larger . . . — Map (db m128226) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — 361 — Old Lobero Theatre
Jose Lobero opened the region's first legitimate theatre on this site February 22, 1873. For many years the old theatre was the center of social life in Santa Barbara. A new Lobero Theatre, opened in 1924 on the same site, continues to serve the . . . — Map (db m126018) HM
California (Santa Barbara County), Santa Barbara — Santa Barbara PresidioFounded 1782
This tablet marks the southeasterly boundary of the Santa Barbara Presidio founded in 1782 by Gov. Felipe de Neve and Capt. Jose Francisco Ortega in command of fifty soldiers accompanied by Fray Junipero Serra who dedicated the site. — Map (db m128224) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Goodrich Quarry
On the hillside north of this plaque, only the scars remain to mark the spot where brown stone was quarried for San Jose Hall of Justice, Post Office, St. Mary’s Church, original buildings of Stanford University, and Carson City Mint. This small . . . — Map (db m129576) HM
California (Santa Cruz County), Santa Cruz — O’Neill’s Surf Shop
In 1959 Jack O'Neill came with his family to Santa Cruz and opened his 500 square foot "Surf Shop” at this location, just above Cowell Beach. The Surf Shop was O'Neill's first retail store in Santa Cruz, offering custom built foam surfboards . . . — Map (db m123878) HM
California (Ventura County), Camarillo — 3 — Adolfo Camarillo Heritage GroveVentura County Landmark No. 3
Across Mission Oaks Boulevard, next to the 101 Freeway, remains part of a grove of Eucalyptus trees that once lined both sides of the old two-lane El Camino Real. In 1892, Adolfo Camarillo planted 650 of these trees, which stretched from Pleasant . . . — Map (db m130636) HM
California (Ventura County), Camarillo — 8 — Camarillo Ranch HouseBuilt in 1892
This grand three-story, 15-room home was built by Adolfo Camarillo in the Queen Ann Victorian style, using the plans of architects Herman Anlauf and Franklin Ward. The home features seven bedrooms, a grand staircase, a tower bay, a walk-in wooden . . . — Map (db m129517) HM
California (Ventura County), Fillmore — 317 Central AvenueStephen's Grocery Store
Richard Stephen's Grocery Store was built in 1910. The original sidewalk, inlaid in tile with the name Stephen's, remains in the floor at the main entrance to the market. Located in the grocery store at the time was a small post office and a . . . — Map (db m131357) HM
California (Ventura County), Fillmore — St. Francis Dam Disaster
Three minutes before midnight on the night of March 12, 1928, the St. Francis Dam collapsed sending over twelve billion gallons of water and debris the length of the Santa Clara River Valley from San Francisquito Canyon through Piru, Fillmore, and . . . — Map (db m123733) HM
California (Ventura County), Moorpark — 55 — Moorpark’s Community Church
This church is a unique combination of two historic buildings, the Epworth and the Somis churches. Retired Methodist ministers established the Epworth Colony in what is now the Fairview district of Moorpark. A small chapel was built in 1894 . . . — Map (db m131705) HM
California (Ventura County), Oxnard — Petre Ranch HouseHeritage Square
The History. Archie Petre (pronounced Peter) came to Oxnard sometime before 1910 as a younger member of an extended family that included his brother-in-law and sister, George and Mabel Austin. Coincidentally, in those early years, the . . . — Map (db m130591) HM
California (Ventura County), Port Hueneme — 32 — Bank of Hueneme
Constructed in 1925, this building served as the Bank of Hueneme until 1950. Myron Hunt, architect. — Map (db m129519) HM
California (Ventura County), Santa Paula — 1 — Faulkner House1894
This home was the culmination of George Washington Faulkner’s dream, expressed to his bride in 1876: "We will have to begin at the foot of the ladder and grow up with the country, but I think that in a few years we can have a beautiful home if . . . — Map (db m131410) HM
California (Ventura County), Santa Paula — Saint Francis Dam Disaster Memorial
Minutes before midnight on the chilly evening of March 12, 1928, the St. Francis Dam failed. The dam's 200-foot high concrete wall crumpled and collapsed, sending billions of gallons of raging flood waters down San Francisquito Canyon, about five . . . — Map (db m123933) HM
California (Ventura County), Santa Paula — 9 — Santa Clara Schoolhouse
The Santa Clara School District was formed in 1879 when farmers in the area wanted a public school for their children. Members of the first Board of Trustees were Mathew Atmore, Ruben Hall and C.H. Chittenden. The first schoolhouse was built in . . . — Map (db m125568) HM
California (Ventura County), Santa Paula — St. Francis Dam Disaster
To honor victims of the St. Francis Dam Disaster, March 12, 1928. This monument of native stone was placed in respectful memory of the nameless souls whose unmarked graves rest in this hallowed ground. — Map (db m123934) HM
California (Ventura County), Santa Paula — 46 — Tanner HomesteadVentura County Historical Landmark #46
The west portion of this house, which was built in the 1870s, is the original Tanner Home. Albert Miles Tanner was a member of the Mormon Battalion at the time of the War with Mexico. He opened the first hotel in Sacramento with Sam Brannon. Later . . . — Map (db m131741) HM
California (Ventura County), Thousand Oaks — 10 — Civic CenterThousand Oaks
First City Hall built by the City of Thousand Oaks in 1973 to house administrative offices of the City and the Conejo Recreation and Park District. — Map (db m129362) HM
California (Ventura County), Thousand Oaks — Norwegian GradeHistorical Monument
Historic Norwegian Grade was built by hand between 1900 and 1911 using picks, shovels, farm equipment, and $60 worth of dynamite given by the County of Ventura. The grade was constructed by members of the Norwegian Colony and their hired help . . . — Map (db m122817) HM
California (Ventura County), Thousand Oaks — Pederson Ranch HouseCalifornia Lutheran University
When the college opened in 1961, the chicken coops located on the Pederson ranch were converted for campus use. F Building housed the campus coffee shop, which doubled as the cafeteria, and a full soda fountain, E Building served as the library; D . . . — Map (db m122761) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 16 — Chumash Hutash FiestaSan Miguel Chapel
The Chumash Indians used this site to celebrate their Hutash Fiesta, held after the harvest each year towards the end of September. The Hutash Fiesta coincided with the Spanish Missionary's San Miguel Day giving the historic Chapel built on the site . . . — Map (db m124617) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 114 — El Caballo
Friar Pedro Benito Cambón—the mission’s co-founder was highly regarded for his knowledge of irrigation, agriculture and building construction—directed Chumash laborers to build this filtration building in 1792 as part of the mission’s . . . — Map (db m124925) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 86 — Erle Stanley Gardner’s Law Office
Gardner (1889-1970) patterned the office of his character Perry Mason after his own office in Suite 306 of this building. Gardner, a resident of Ventura until 1933, is cited by the Guinness Book of World Records as the #1 best selling author of all . . . — Map (db m125569) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 23 — Hobson Bros. Packing Company
This is the site of the Hobson Bros. Packing Company, established in the 1870's as Ventura's first slaughterhouse. The business provided sausage and cut meat for delivery to most parts of the County. The present structure was built in 1923 and . . . — Map (db m124610) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 85 — Lavanderia
Beneath the floor of the rear portion of the Wilson Studio and Peirano Market lies a major segment of the Mission Lavanderia. Built to serve the Mission converts, it provided washing facilities for clothing and was part of an extensive aqueduct . . . — Map (db m129361) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 847 — Old County Court House
This imposing building was designed by Albert C. Martin and built in 1912 as the Ventura County Court House. It is an outstanding example of neo-classic architecture, considered the proper style for public buildings of the early 20th century. The . . . — Map (db m124508) HM
California (Ventura County), Ventura — 114-1 — Rancho Cañada LargaMission Aqueduct
Rancho Cañada Larga o Verde, as it was originally known, came out of lands of the San Buenaventura Mission. Following Mexican independence from Spain, Joaquina Alvarado de Moraga, whose late husband, Gabriel Moraga, was a distinguished soldier of . . . — Map (db m124924) HM
California (Ventura County), Westlake Village — The Lone Oak
This monument is dedicated to the centuries-old heritage oak tree that once stood at this intersection. Thousand Oaks grew around this majestic tree and it became an enduring symbol of the region’s rural history. A replacement oak tree was planted . . . — Map (db m128508) HM
California (Ventura County), Westlake Village — Triunfo CanyonConejo Valley
For thousands of years, the Chumash Indians and their forebears lived in this valley. They have been described as a stone age people, hunters and gatherers, resourceful, friendly, fun-loving, astute traders, fine craftsmen, and expert rock artists. . . . — Map (db m128414) HM
Montana (Gallatin County), West Yellowstone — 10 — Oregon Short Line 1903Rail Car
Named for the year it was built, the Oregon Short Line 1903 was constructed for $16,685 as an executive rail car for the Vice President of the Union Pacific. In reference to E.H. Harriman's Presidential rail car, the Arden, which was built in 1900, . . . — Map (db m123346) HM
Montana (Gallatin County), West Yellowstone — 4 — Oregon Shortline TerminusWest Yellowstone Historic District
In 1905 Union Pacific officials began construction of a branch line in the pine-forested wilderness from Ashton, Idaho, to the western edge of Yellowstone Park. As the final tracks were laid in 1907, Samuel P. Eagle, Alex Stuart, Charles Arnet and . . . — Map (db m123342) HM
Montana (Park County), Emigrant — Absaroka - Beartooth Wilderness
The Absaroka - Beartooth Wilderness, which lies to the east, contains one of the largest single expanses of land above 10,000 feet in elevation in the United States. The U.S. Forest Service set aside portions of the region as primitive areas in . . . — Map (db m123116) HM
Montana (Park County), Gardiner — Roosevelt Arch
In 1903, most Yellowstone visitors arrived in Gardiner by train where they boarded stagecoaches for the journey into Wonderland. Gardiner had just built a beautiful train depot in the rustic architectural style, and both park administrators and . . . — Map (db m123115) HM
Montana (Park County), Gardiner — Roosevelt ArchHistoric Gateway - Symbol of an Idea
When Yellowstone was established in 1872 as the world's first national park, it was remote and nearly inaccessible. Few "tourists" had the time or the means to travel here from the major cities of the east and west coasts. However, by 1903 the North . . . — Map (db m123135) HM
Nebraska (Adams County), Kenesaw — Susan C. Haile Gravesite
Susan C. Haile was born December 20, 1817, in Cape Girardeau, Missouri. She was the youngest child of Joseph and Prudence (Bledsoe) Seawell, natives of Sumner County, Tennessee. Upon the death of Joseph in 1819, Prudence Seawell returned to Sumner . . . — Map (db m123807) HM
Ohio (Montgomery County), Dayton — St. Mary’s Hall
Constructed in 1870, St. Mary’s Hall was once the largest building in Dayton. A National Historic Landmark, the building was formerly the main facility of St. Mary’s Institute, now the University of Dayton. Known as Dewberry Farm, the land for the . . . — Map (db m128632) HM
Utah (Grand County), Moab — Dalton Wells
Civilian Conservation Corps Camp DG-32 (Co. 234) 1935-1942 During the Great Depression of the 1930s, CCC Camps were scattered all over the USA. They provided gainful employment to youth of the nation with work on public service . . . — Map (db m131990) HM
Utah (Grand County), Moab — Double ArchArches National Park
The third largest arch in the park, Double Arch's larger span is 144 feet wide by 112 feet high (44 by 34 meters). The smaller opening is 67 feet wide by 86 feet high (20 by 26 meters). For a closer look at Double Arch, walk this easy trail . . . — Map (db m131861) HM
Utah (Grand County), Moab — John Wesley Powell on the Green RiverWhat Shall We Find?
In May 1869, Major John Wesley Powell set out on a remarkable mission: to explore the uncharted canyons and waters of the Green and Colorado rivers. Powell, a geology professor and one-armed Civil War veteran, began the journey with nine novice . . . — Map (db m127606) HM
Utah (Grand County), Moab — Wolfe Ranch
John Wesley Wolfe settled here in the late 1800s with his oldest son Fred. A nagging leg injury from the Civil War prompted John to move west from Ohio, looking for a drier climate. He chose this tract of more than 100 acres along Salt Wash for . . . — Map (db m132029) HM
Wyoming (Park County), Mammoth Hot Springs — A Good Duty Station
The lifespan of most Western military posts was measured in months, or several years. Accordingly, their structures were temporary, and many have long since vanished from the landscape. Fort Yellowstone was unusual because of its permanence and the . . . — Map (db m123155) HM
Wyoming (Park County), Mammoth Hot Springs — A Soldier's Life
A solider lived with the rest of his company in the Troop Barracks (structure in front of you). A typical day began at 5:30 am, at the stable, just behind the barracks where the horses were fed. From that time until almost noon, soldiers . . . — Map (db m123148) HM
Wyoming (Park County), Yellowstone National Park — Fort Yellowstone
. . . — Map (db m123365) HM
Wyoming (Teton County), Moose — A Lake Named Jenny
Jenny Leigh, a Shoshone Indian, assisted the 1872 Hayden Survey. The expedition named this lake in her honor. Jenny and her husband Richard were expert guides who knew Jackson Hole well from summers spent hunting, trapping, and gathering native . . . — Map (db m123283) HM

525 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 were listed. Previous 200 Next 125
Paid Advertisement