Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

913 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 713
 
San Jacinto Monument West Facade image, Touch for more information
By Brian Anderson, November 4, 2018
San Jacinto Monument West Facade
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Fort Stanton — Fort Stanton
Named for Captain Henry W. Stanton, Fort Stanton was established May 4, 1855 as a military fort to protect settlers from Apache attacks. Operated as a military fortification until 1896, it played a part in the Civil War, was the first Tuberculosis . . . — Map (db m119454) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 7009 — Kerr's Inc.
Regarded as the oldest Angelina County business in continuous operation, Kerr's began in 1870 as a general store in the early county seat of Homer (5 mi. SE). It was started by Civil War veteran Capt. Joseph Kerr (b. 1828), a native of South . . . — Map (db m29153) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Lufkin — 7005 — Site of Rehearsal Hall for The Hoo Hoo Band
At the turn of the century, a group of Lufkin men organized a town brass band. It later became known as the Hoo Hoo Band after representing Texas at a national convention of the Order of Hoo Hoo, an organization of American and Canadian lumbermen. . . . — Map (db m29146) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 2678 — J.J. Josey General Store
Built by John Crutcher in 1847 on the Plaza de Commercio in San Felipe, this was the last store built in the town after its 1836 burning by military order. Purchased in 1867 by Dr. J.J. Josey, it was in continuous operation as a store until 1942. . . . — Map (db m43760) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 4536 — San Felipe de Austin
First Anglo-American capital of Texas. Came into being on July 26, 1828, as capital of the Austin Colony, by decree of the Mexican government. Father of Texas Stephen F. Austin had begun under the 1821 grant from Mexico the settlement of more than . . . — Map (db m116924) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 4537 — San Felipe de Austin Cemetery
San Felipe de Austin was established in 1824 as the community and administrative headquarters of Stephen F. Austin's original Anglo American colony in Texas. The site for the township was chosen by Austin and the Baron Felipe Enrique Neri de . . . — Map (db m116994) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 11706 — San Felipe United Methodist Church
In 1837, the town of San Felipe de Austin was incorporated and the town council built a multi-purpose building to be used as a town hall, school, and church on land known as “Constitution Square.” The one-story building was constructed . . . — Map (db m116927) HM
Texas (Austin County), San Felipe — 248 — Stephen Fuller Austin
Stephen F. Austin • Father of Texas, November 3, 1793-December 27, 1836. He planted the first Anglo-American colony in Texas • "The Old Three Hundred"• In his several colonies he settled more than a thousand families. He was from 1823 until 1828 the . . . — Map (db m116925) HM
Texas (Bee County), Beeville — 7146 — Commercial National Bank
The Commercial National Bank of Beeville traces its history to January 1893 when several prominent citizens met to organize a financial institution. Elected as officers were Dr. L.B. Creath, A.G. Kennedy, John I. Clare, and D.C. Stone. The bank . . . — Map (db m32293) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), Bonney — 9568 — Albert Sidney Johnston(February 2, 1803 - April 6, 1862)
Kentucky native Albert Sidney Johnston graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in 1826. He was assigned to posts in New York and Missouri, and served in the Black Hawk War in 1832. He resigned his commission in 1834 to return to . . . — Map (db m91921) HM
Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 8706 — Route of El Camino Real(Also known as Old San Antonio Road and Old Spanish Road)
Great thoroughfare of pioneer Texas, stretching 1,000 miles from Saltillo, Mexico, to present Louisiana. The general route followed ancient Indian and buffalo trails, but the oldest marked portion, known as "Trail of the Padres", was blazed in 1691 . . . — Map (db m68683) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Alpine — 15965 — John R. Holland(1852 – 1922)
Born in Wharton County, John Riley Holland as a young man moved to Brady (McCulloch Co.) to become a rancher. He married Mary L. Fuller in 1881; the couple had two children, Crystal and Clay. By 1884, the Hollands moved to Presidio County near . . . — Map (db m61070) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Alpine — 6411 — Lawrence Sullivan Ross1838 - 1898
Iowa born family came to Texas 1839. Gained experience with Indians in central Texas while father was Indian agent. Led reservation Indians in campaigns against Comanches. As Ranger company captain in 1855 he killed the noted Comanche Chief Peta . . . — Map (db m50296) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Alpine — 3884 — Our Lady of Peace
Parish Hall, site of the oldest church building in Alpine, originally called Our Lady of Guadalupe Church, completed in 1892 and in continuous use as a church until 1942, and as a parish hall until 1964. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - . . . — Map (db m61093) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Alpine — 4276 — Ritchey Hotel1886
Frame and adobe. Built facing old cattle loading pens on the Southern Pacific Railway. Lodgings and saloon for cowhands and ranchers in town to ship cattle from widely scattered ranches of the Big Bend country. Recorded Texas . . . — Map (db m61071) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Marathon — 964 — Colonel Lewis Given Harman1818-1902
Typical of those who served the South and then moved into new counties of Western Texas. Surveyor, Indian agent, soldier, legislator, Justice of the Peace. Born in Tennessee. Moved to Texas 1838. Fought in Mexican War. Though 43 when Civil War . . . — Map (db m46613) HM
Texas (Brewster County), Marathon — 2003 — Fort Peña Colorado (Red Rock)
Established in 1880 as a means of preventing Indian raids into Mexico. Raided by Apaches in 1881. Abandoned in 1893 after Western Texas had been permanently cleared of Indians. — Map (db m73723) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 2332 — Halfmoon Reef Lighthouse
Constructed in 1858, this three-story hexagonal lighthouse was originally located in Matagorda Bay, at the southern tip of Half Moon reef. The beacon served as an aid to ships trading in Port Lavaca and the nearby town of Indianola (14 mi. SE). . . . — Map (db m53111) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 1279 — Port Lavaca
Founded in the aftermath of a Comanche raid on the nearby settlement of Linville, the town of Lavaca (the cow) was established in 1840. The busiest port in the Matagorda Bay area and a major center for over-land export of cattle and other goods, . . . — Map (db m53110) HM
Texas (Cameron County), Brownsville — 16054 — Last Battle of the Civil War
At this site the last battle of the Civil War, known as Palmito Hill, was fought by Confederate troops under Colonel John S. (Rip) Ford and Union Forces on May 13, 1865, 34 Days After Lee's Surrender at Appomatox — Map (db m118442) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 1110 — Crockett County
. . . — Map (db m7413) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 1111 — Crockett County Courthouse
Built 1902. Second courthouse for county. American Gothic architecture, planned by Oscar Ruffini, San Angelo. Material is fine stone quarried nearby on Meyer and Couch properties. Cost $30,000.

Early day community social center. Used for . . . — Map (db m116313) HM

Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 1112 — Crockett County Jail
Built 1892, about a year after county's organization; contractor was Z.D. Gafford of San Angelo. Building stone was quarried to north of structure, on Meyers property. Tower may have been designed for hangings, but no gallows were ever installed. . . . — Map (db m116730) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 1113 — Crockett County's First Producing Oil Well
In 1923 World Oil Co., owned by Chester R. Bunker, Ft. Worth publisher and printer, began drilling on the L. P. Powell Ranch. Work progressed slowly, depending on the availability of money, under the direction of superintendent Mickey Green and the . . . — Map (db m117985) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 1171 — David Crockett
(Inscription on front of monument)

.. Be sure you are right - then go ahead ..

(Inscription on rear of monument) David Crockett was born in Tennessee on August 17, 1786 Participated in the Creek Indian Campaign . . . — Map (db m116599) HM

Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 1471 — Emerald Townsite(1 Mile North)
The first platted town in Crockett County, Emerald was founded in 1889 by Fort Worth & Rio Grande Railway Immigration Agent T. W. Wilkinson. It was to be an agricultural shipping point on a planned extension of the F.W. & R.G. Publicized from Maine . . . — Map (db m117502) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 1992 — Fort Lancaster C.S.A.
Site 33 miles west on U.S. 290. Upon U.S. surrender Texas forts start of Civil War. Made part Confederate far western frontier line. Occupied by 2nd Texas Cavalry on supply line to and from Arizona-New Mexico. Campaign 1861-62, intended to make . . . — Map (db m7284) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 2476 — High Lonesome Stage Stand(Site 11 Miles Northeast)
First station after leaving Ozona on the San Angelo-Ozona mail line. Here, at the 20-mile point of an 86-mile run, fresh horses awaited. The stand, built in 1902, served one of Texas' last commercial stage lines.

Ten horses were kept here, as . . . — Map (db m116312) HM

Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 3775 — Old Ozona Hotel
Built about 1893. From its early days, boarded teachers, visiting athletic teams and business callers in city. Noted guests of 1919-1921 were geologists and lease men seeking to develop the now-significant oil fields of Crockett . . . — Map (db m116349) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 3895 — Ozona Junior High School
The first permanent school building in Ozona; constructed of native limestone in 1910-1912, when Ozona was only 21 years old. The heating and ventilating system, never before used in the state when installed here, is still in operation daily. . . . — Map (db m116729) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 3896 — Ozona National Bank
Constructed 1905 for county's first financial institution.

Organized by cattle and sheep ranchers and the town's doctor.

During construction of native stone building, banking was done next door in store of L. B. Cox, vice-president. J. . . . — Map (db m116315) HM

Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 3899 — Ozona-Barnhart Trap Company
By the 1920s many ranchers in Crockett County had fenced their land, preventing their neighbors from driving sheep and cattle to the railroad shipping point in Barnhart (23 miles north of here). A solution to the problem was offered by the . . . — Map (db m116311) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 3897 — Ozona's First Water Well
Focus for civic life in early Ozona. City founder E. M. Powell provided the water well equipped with 18-foot windmill, a water trough, and a small cypress tank.

At first meeting of Crockett County Commissioners Court, July 22, 1891, under a . . . — Map (db m116594) HM

Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 3898 — Ozona's Water System
This site was selected for the Crockett County seat in 1891 because of a producing water well (200' northwest). Joe Moss, who drilled for water throughout the area, dug the well for E. M. Powell (1847-1925), railroad surveyor, financier, and land . . . — Map (db m116593) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 4005 — Pharis Hurst(1840 - 1927)
U.S. Army veteran of Civil War, discharged after loss of arm, siege of Vicksburg. Born in Pennsylvania. Came to Texas after war. Was a farmer-teacher-postmaster. Wives: (1) Melinde Beal; (2) Zilla Parker. Had 4 children. Lived in Ozona . . . — Map (db m117983) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 5328 — The Emerald House
Although the early history of this structure is unrecorded, it is known that the house originally was built in the townsite of Emerald (9 miles east). Established in 1889 as Crockett County's first settlement, Emerald was the colonization project of . . . — Map (db m117507) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 5393 — The Ozona Stockman
In 1892 Claude B. Hudspeth (1877-1941) began publication of a weekly newspaper called the "Ozona Kicker." Following his three-year ownership, Hudspeth entered politics, serving first in the Texas Legislature and later as representative from the . . . — Map (db m116348) HM
Texas (Crockett County), Ozona — 5840 — William Mathias Miller(1829 - 1906)
Born in Maryland. Fought in Civil War as a Virginian in the Confederate Army, although he had brothers in the U.S. Army. He came to Texas soon after the war. Married Henrietta Norrid in Fredericksburg, August 23, 1870. Lived in Ozona in old age. . . . — Map (db m117977) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 18142 — Estela Portillo Trambley
Estela Portillo Trambley (1926-1998), an El Paso native, was an award-winning fiction writer, playwright and poet known for her vivid portrayals of strong and independent Mexican and Mexican American women in Texas and its borderlands. Recognized as . . . — Map (db m118314) HM
Texas (El Paso County), El Paso — 1067 — First Mission and Pueblo in TexasCorpus Christi de la Ysleta
. . . — Map (db m118310) HM
Texas (El Paso County), San Elizario — 1503 — Espejo Beltran Expedition - 1582-1583
Following the Rodriguez-Chamuscado expedition of 1581 there was increased interest in the area now known as New Mexico and Texas. There was also concern for the safety of Fray Rodriguez and Fray Lopez, who had stayed in the area. In 1582 a . . . — Map (db m118277) HM
Texas (El Paso County), San Elizario — 2877 — Juan de Onate Expedition - 1598
Spanish interest in the territory known as New Mexico increased during the 1580s and 1590s. Although reports of mining and missionary possibilities were significant, King Phillip II of Spain was also concerned about New World explorations of rival . . . — Map (db m118276) HM
Texas (El Paso County), San Elizario — 3129 — Los Portales
Local farmer, rancher, and landowner Gregorio Nacenseno Garcia constructed this building as his family residence about 1855. Built in the territorial style, it features milled wood detailing. Because of its distinctive inset gallery (portals), it . . . — Map (db m118271) HM
Texas (El Paso County), San Elizario — 4335 — Rodriguez-Chamuscado Expedition - 1581
Inspired by Indian stories of settlements in present New Mexico and authorized by the Spanish viceroy, Fray Agustin Rodriguez, a Franciscan priest, led a missionary expedition to the area. Accompanied by Fray Juan de Santa Maria, Fray Francisco . . . — Map (db m118278) HM
Texas (El Paso County), San Elizario — 4501 — Salt War
Resentment over private control of the salt lakes in the region, often called Guadalupe Lakes, in 1877 led to the El Paso Salt War which entailed the loss of many lives and much property. — Map (db m118294) HM
Texas (El Paso County), San Elizario — 4531 — San Elizario
San Elizario was established in 1789 on the former site of Hacienda de Los Tiburcios as a Spanish Colonial Fort known as the Presidio of San Elceario. The Presidio was moved from its former location (approx. 37 mi.S) in response to requests from . . . — Map (db m118275) HM
Texas (El Paso County), San Elizario — 4532 — San Elizario
Site of the Presidio de Nuestra Señora Del Pilár y Glorioso Señor San José established by Don Domingo Jironza Petríz de Cruzate in 1683 near Misión de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe in present Ciudad Juárez, México. Located on this site in 1773 and . . . — Map (db m118293) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Socorro — 4972 — Socorro
Site of the mission and pueblo of Nuestra Señora de la Concepción del Pueblo de Socorro established by Don Antonio de Otermín and Father Fray Francisco Ayeta, O.F.M. in 1683. Maintained by Franciscan missionaries for the civilizing and . . . — Map (db m118295) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Socorro — 4973 — Socorro Mission La Purísima
During the Pueblo Revolt of 1680, Gov. Antonio de Otermín and Father Francisco de Ayeta led Piro Indian and Spanish refugees out of New Mexico into this region, establishing a settlement they named Socorro after the home they had left. The town's . . . — Map (db m118296) HM
Texas (Galveston County), Galveston — 7500 — Thomas Joseph(Feb. 11, 1823 - Mar. 10, 1905)
Born in Hartford, Conn., Thomas Miller Joseph came to Galveston about 1841 with his mother Annis (Rogers) (d. 1879) and the family of his Uncle Alexander Edgar. Admitted to the bar, he became a Democratic Party leader, serving as Chief Justice . . . — Map (db m50055) HM
Texas (Galveston County), La Marque — 8233 — Civil War Fortifications at Virginia Point
Virginia Point, the site of an important railroad bridge which provided the only connection between the Texas mainland and Galveston Island in the mid-19th century, played an integral role in the Confederate defense of Galveston during the Civil . . . — Map (db m35931) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Fannin — 322 — Battle of Coleto and Goliad Massacre
After the fall of the Alamo, March 6, 1836, Colonel James Walker Fannin, with about 400 soldiers, mostly volunteers from the United States in the Texas War for Independence, was ordered by Texas General Sam Houston to retreat from Goliad to . . . — Map (db m116301) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 2200 — Goliad
One of the three first Texas municipalities. Old Aranama Indian village called Santa Dorotea by the Spanish. Presidio La Bahia and Mission Espiritu de Zuniga established 1749. Here early events leading to the Texas Revolution were expeditions of . . . — Map (db m34142) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 3408 — Mission Nuestra Senora Del Espiritu Santo De ZunigaMission of Our Lady of the Holy Spirit of Zuniga
Founded in 1722 by the Aguayo Expedition on "La Bahia del Espiritu Santo" (the Bay of the Holy Spirit), present Lavaca Bay. This mission reflects its former site in the popular name, "La Bahia". Its formal name (in part) honored Baltasar de Zuniga, . . . — Map (db m116299) HM
Texas (Goliad County), Goliad — 4833 — Site of Mission Nuestra Señora del Rosario
Established in 1754 for the Cujane Nation. Here faithful Franciscan missionaries attempted to Christianize and civilize the Indians of the region until 1794. — Map (db m34284) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Cost — 2459 — Here was Fired First Gun for Texas Independence
Here was fired first gun for Texas Independence. Oct. 2, 1835 Erected by the children of Gonzales city schools. Apr. 21, 1903 — Map (db m118444) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Cost — 1866 — Site of the First Shot of the Texas Revolution
Near here on October 2, 1835 was fired the first shot of the Texas Revolution of 1835-36 - the shot heard round the world. At Gonzales the Texans defied the Mexican government and refused their demand for the Gonzales cannon with the "Come and Take . . . — Map (db m118445) HM
Texas (Grimes County), Anderson — 8573 — Fanthorp Inn
Built in 1834 by Henry Fanthorp as a home for his bride, Rachel Kennard. Enlarged for hotel purpose. Served as first mercantile establishment and first post office (1835) in the region. Here Kenneth Lewis Anderson, Vice-President of the Republic of . . . — Map (db m118940) HM
Texas (Grimes County), Anderson — 8586 — Grimes County, C.S.A.
Civil War military concentration point for troops and ordnance. Rich farm land. By 1861 densely populated. Favored secession by 907 to 9 vote. Sent 5 cavalry, 4 infantry companies to Confederate Army. Arms and ordnance works at Anderson . . . — Map (db m118976) HM
Texas (Grimes County), Anderson — 18060 — Kenneth Lewis Anderson
Front: Erected by the State of Texas in memory of Kenneth Lewis Anderson Born in Hillsboro, North Carolina, Sept. 11, 1805 District Judge, Speaker of the House of the Sixth Congress and last Vice President of the Republic of Texas . . . — Map (db m118937) HM
Texas (Grimes County), Anderson — La Bahia RoadUpper Coushatta Trace
This short stretch of road is the last remaining local portion of two very important early Texas roads. La Bahia Road (early 1700's) was an old Spanish military road that forked southwesterly from the Old San Antonio Road west of Nacogdoches, to . . . — Map (db m118974) HM
Texas (Grimes County), Anderson — 8594 — Michael Moore Kennard(July 27, 1809 - July 7, 1895)
Born in Tennessee. In 1828 he and family joined Robertson's Colony, bound for Texas. Arrived in 1830, probably having stopped to "make a crop" along the way. Lived in present Grimes County; was granted a third of a league of land in Robertson's . . . — Map (db m118939) HM
Texas (Grimes County), Anderson — 8599 — Veterans Memorial
Front: In memory of Colonel Benjamin Fort Smith, Dr. Robert C. Neblett, Veterans of The War of 1812 Colonel Benjamin F. Smith Veteran of the Black Hawk War, 1832 Jared E. Groce, Joshua Hadley William Robinson, delegates to the . . . — Map (db m118943) HM
Texas (Grimes County), Navasota — 8592 — Primus Kelly
A faithful Negro slave. Came to nearby Courtney, Grimes County in 1851 with his master, John W. S. West from North Carolina. West was a prominent and wealthy pioneer planter and landowner. At the outbreak of the Civil War, West sent Kelly "to . . . — Map (db m119574) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10648 — 1928 Democratic National Convention
Due to the efforts of businessman Jesse H. Jones, the Democratic National Committee chose Houston as the site of the 1928 Democratic National Convention. Located on this site, the 20,000-seat Sam Houston Hall was completed in 64 days at a cost of . . . — Map (db m116847) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Alexander Hodge
Erected in 1908 by Lady Washington Chapter D.A.R. in memory of Alexander Hodge one of Marion's Men Born in Pennsylvania, 1760 Died in Texas, 1836 A hero of two Republics — Map (db m116858) WM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10654 — Amos B. Edson
Arrived in Texas January 28, 1836, having been recruited in New Orleans for the Army of Texas by Captain Amasa Turner in whose company he served at San Jacinto. Died in Houston, 1837. — Map (db m59589) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10597 — Antioch Missionary Baptist Church
The emancipation of slaves was heralded by federal officials in Galveston on June 19, 1865. Antioch became Houston's first African American Baptist Church when organized by nine former area slaves in 1866. Their first sanctuary, built nearby in . . . — Map (db m116554) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10631 — Christ Church Cathedral
The second Episcopal parish in the Republic of Texas. Led by a missionary of the Episcopal Church in the United States, the Rev. R.M. Chapman, and by an early Houstonian, Col. William Fairfax Gray, thirty-nine men came together on March 16, 1839, to . . . — Map (db m116547) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 15922 — First United Methodist Church of Houston
The foundation of Methodism in Houston began in 1837, when missionaries Martin Ruter and Littleton Fowler established a Sunday School Society. On April 14, 1839, the Rev. Jesse Hord received 14 members by transfer of letter, establishing the . . . — Map (db m116552) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Founding of Harris County
In December 1835, near the beginning of the Texas Revolution, the new Provisional Government of Texas defined the boundary of the Municipality of Harrisburg, similar to the extent of Harris County today. Its largest town and seat of government was . . . — Map (db m119465) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 14042 — Gulf Building
Prominent real estate developer, publisher, statesman and banker Jesse H. Jones opened the Gulf Building in 1929 with Gulf Oil, National Bank of Commerce, and Sakowitz Brothers as primary tenants. Alfred C. Finn designed the 430-foot high Art Deco . . . — Map (db m116995) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10787 — Horace Dickinson Taylor(1821-1890)
At the age of 17 Horace Dickinson Taylor left his native Massachusetts with his brother, Edward, after the sudden death of their parents. They settled in Independence, Texas, in 1838, and in 1848 the Taylor brothers moved to Houston where they . . . — Map (db m116812) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10691 — Houston Bar Association
Members of the legal profession began practicing in Houston in 1837, one year after Texas gained its independence from Mexico and became a Republic. The earliest evidence of organization among the city's attorneys dates to 1870, when the original . . . — Map (db m116548) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10729 — Merchants and Manufacturers Building
This building was constructed to house the activities of Houston's merchants and manufacturers during the post-World War I economic boom. Its location provided access to water, rail, and truck transportation of goods. Completed in 1930, the M & M . . . — Map (db m119467) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10630 — Nichols-Rice-Cherry House
Greek Revival house built 1850 by Gen. Ebenezer Nichols at Congress and San Jacinto streets, sold to Wm. M. Rice, a philanthropist, 1856. Bought by Mrs. E. R. Cherry, 1897, with $25 bid on front door; moved by her to 806 Fargo. Later moved here and . . . — Map (db m116857) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Site of Capitol of the Republic of Texas1837-38-39 & 42
Commemorating days when after her glorious struggle Texas stood an independent nation. — Map (db m116809) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Site of General Sam Houston House
Site of house where General Sam Houston, President of the Republic of Texas lived, 1837-1838 — Map (db m116844) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Site of Home of President Sam Houston
Site of Home of President Sam Houston of the Republic of Texas 1837-9 — Map (db m116845) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — Site of the National Women's ConferenceNovember 18 - 21, 1977
The Sam Houston Coliseum, now the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts, was the site of the first National Women's Conference held on November 18th through 21st, 1977. It was the largest political conference of women in the United States since the . . . — Map (db m117295) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 15955 — Site of the Organization of Lady Washington Chapter, NSDAR
The Lady Washington Chapter of the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution (NSDAR) was organized on November 14, 1899, when 10 of the original 17 organizing members met in the western parlor of the Capitol Hotel (later known as the . . . — Map (db m116808) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 13592 — St. Joseph Hospital
St. Joseph Hospital, Houston’s first general hospital, opened in 1887 as St. Joseph’s Infirmary. Six sisters from the congregation of the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word, who came to Houston from St. Mary’s Infirmary in Galveston, . . . — Map (db m117464) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 13591 — St. Paul's United Methodist Church
At the beginning of the 20th century, members of Houston’s Methodist community worked toward organizing a new congregation on what was then the burgeoning south end of town. In December 1905, individuals met at the J.O. Ross family home and held . . . — Map (db m61005) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — The Capture of Santa Anna
This point is the approximate site of the capture of Santa Anna, the president of Mexico, and commander of the Mexican army-by James A. Sylvester, Joel W. Robison, Edward Miles, S.R. Bostick, Joseph Vermillion and Thompson, all soldiers of the Texas . . . — Map (db m60821) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10689 — Thomas William House(March 4, 1814 - January 17, 1880)
A native of Stoke St. Gregory in Somersetshire, England, T.W. House emigrated to the United States in May 1835. A baker by trade, he soon was employed by the St. Charles Hotel in New Orleans. By 1838 he had moved to Houston and established the . . . — Map (db m116813) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 11952 — Thomas William House, Jr.(1846-1923)
T. W. House, Jr., was the third of eight children born to Thomas William (1814-1880) and Mary Elizabeth (Shearn) (1822-1870) House. T.W. House, Sr., was an English immigrant who established the T.W. House Bank in 1838 and became mayor of Houston in . . . — Map (db m116848) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — San Jacinto MonumentSan Jacinto Battlefield
The early policies of Mexico toward her Texas colonists had been extremely liberal. Large grants of land were made to them, and no taxes or duties imposed. The relationship between the Anglo-Americans and Mexicans was cordial. But, following a . . . — Map (db m6702) HM
Texas (Jack County), Jacksboro — 1947 — Former Gulf, Texas & Western Railroad Depot
Erected 1910, of stone from nearby quarry; Risley Brothers, contractors. A facility of Jacksboro's second railroad, built by local effort, with backing from New York bankers, R. C. Megargel and Company. — Map (db m119285) HM
Texas (Jeff Davis County), Fort Davis — 10483 — Pioneer Cemetery
Used from 1870s to 1914. Settlers buried here include: Mr. and Mrs. Diedrick Dutchover, immigrants from Belgium and Spain; their surname, coined by a recruiter in the Mexican War, is borne by many descendants. Dolores, who on her wedding eve . . . — Map (db m53144) HM
Texas (Jefferson County), Beaumont — 10493 — Beaumont
County seat of Jefferson County. Settled in 1825 as Tevis Bluff; incorporated as Beaumont Dec. 16, 1838. Early trading post, riverboat port, lumber, rice and ranching center. Near site of Spindletop gusher, where oil became an industry, ushering in . . . — Map (db m118626) HM
Texas (Jefferson County), Beaumont — 10544 — Henry Millard
A native of Saratoga County, New York, Henry Millard moved to Missouri with his family while still a child. As a young man he moved to Natchez, Mississippi, where in 1826 he married Mary Warren Beaumont. While living in Natchez they became the . . . — Map (db m118627) HM
Texas (Jefferson County), Beaumont — 10536 — Jefferson County Courthouse
The first county building constructed at this site was a jailhouse completed in 1838, two years after the organization of Jefferson County. Located on land acquired from Nancy Tevis, a pioneer settler of the area, it also housed county offices and . . . — Map (db m118625) HM
Texas (Jefferson County), Beaumont — 10554 — Port of Beaumont
The city of Beaumont, 41 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico, was served from its founding in 1837 by schooners and sternwheelers navigating the Neches River. The three-foot depth of Sabine Lake between the river's mouth and the Gulf limited . . . — Map (db m118629) HM
Texas (Jefferson County), Beaumont — 10578 — Tyrrell Public Library
Built in 1903 as the First Baptist Church, this limestone structure replaced a red brick church on the same site. Architect of the Romanesque Revival style edifice was A. N. Dawson and contractor was G. D. Patterson. In 1923, when the Baptist . . . — Map (db m118628) HM
Texas (Jefferson County), Sabine Pass — 12425 — 1886 Hurricane at Sabine Pass
In October 1886, Sabine Pass was the second largest town in Jefferson County, boasting a new rail line and an optimistic outlook on continued growth as a major coastal port. On the afternoon of October 12, just two months after a hurricane had . . . — Map (db m118670) HM
Texas (Jefferson County), Sabine Pass — 13645 — Beach Road
The Beach Road is the coastal section of the Texas Highway 87 system. Stretching along the Gulf of Mexico from Sabine Pass through Chambers County to Port Bolivar in Galveston County, it follows a historic route that proved vital to the early . . . — Map (db m118676) HM
Texas (Jefferson County), Sabine Pass — 13429 — Capture of the USS Morning Light and USS Velocity
After Texas seceded from the Union at the onset of the Civil War, the state's ports were included in a Union blockade of the South. The proximity of Sabine Pass to Galveston made it a strategic point for both the Union and Confederacy. In January . . . — Map (db m118789) HM
Texas (Jefferson County), Sabine Pass — 10500 — City of Sabine and Sabine Pass
The first known settlers in this area were John McGaffey and Thomas Courts, who arrived in 1832. Sam Houston assisted Manuel de los Santos Coy in acquiring a land grant here in 1833. Two years later Houston and two partners purchased Coy's property . . . — Map (db m118671) HM
Texas (Jefferson County), Sabine Pass — 15458 — Commodore Leon Smith
Maine native Leonidas Smith (b. 1829) became a sailor as a youth and, by age 21 commanded the U.S. Mail Packet Pacific along the west coast. At the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861, he was sailing out of Galveston, Texas. He served as . . . — Map (db m118780) HM
Texas (Jefferson County), Sabine Pass — Dick Dowling
Commemorating the feat of Dick Dowling and his forty two Irish patriots Sabine Pass, Texas. 1861 C.S.A. 1865 "September the 8th 1863, an army of fifteen thousand Federals attacked the small fort at the Pass; the brave little garrison . . . — Map (db m118815) HM WM
Texas (Jefferson County), Sabine Pass — 10558 — Federal Fatalities at the Battle of Sabine Pass
The Civil War battle at Sabine Pass on September 8, 1863 was a victory for Lieutenant Richard W. Dowling and his troops, which numbered fewer than 50. Dowling and his Davis Guards kept Union gunboats from advancing up the pass. The U.S.S. . . . — Map (db m118791) HM
Texas (Jefferson County), Sabine Pass — 10526 — Fort Manhassett(7.5 Miles West)
To protect Texas against Federal invasion during the Civil War, Confederate General John B. Magruder ordered the construction of a fort on September 4, 1863, four days before the famous Confederate victory won by Dick Dowling and his small company . . . — Map (db m118775) HM
Texas (Jefferson County), Sabine Pass — 17600 — Fort Sabine
During the Civil War, the Sabine Pass Channel was a strategic gateway to the interior of eastern Texas and western Louisiana, control of which was vital. Fearing a possible Union invasion, the citizens of Sabine City (later Sabine Pass) formed a . . . — Map (db m118674) HM
Texas (Jefferson County), Sabine Pass — 10509 — Richard Dowling
Center Front Panel In memory of Lt. Richard W. Dowling and his men. Texas remembers the faithfulness and valor of her sons and commends their heroic example to future generations. The Men Who Fought with Lt. Dowling Were: Left Front Panel . . . — Map (db m118792) HM WM
Texas (Jefferson County), Sabine Pass — Sabine Bank Lighthouse
This lantern and watchroom once made up the top 20 feet of the Sabine Bank lighthouse, which originally towered 72 feet above the water in the Gulf of Mexico. The lighthouse was fabricated in Detroit, Michigan and shipped to Sabine by railway in . . . — Map (db m118814) HM
Texas (Jefferson County), Sabine Pass — 10525 — Site of Fort Griffin(1863-1865)
Renowned for brilliant Civil War victory, Sept. 8, 1863. Confederates in this fort repulsed a fleet seeking to land thousands of Federal soldiers. Lt. Richard W. Dowling (1838-1867), in civilian life a Houston businessman, commanded fort during . . . — Map (db m118779) HM
Texas (Jefferson County), Sabine Pass — 10567 — Spaight's 11th Battalion
Commanded by Col. Ashley W. Spaight, the 11th Battalion of Texas Volunteers, Confederate States Army, was nicknamed the "Swamp Angels." Tracing its origins to the "Sabine Pass Guards" militia formed in 1861, the battalion served during the Civil War . . . — Map (db m118675) HM
Texas (Jefferson County), Sabine Pass — 10568 — Spanish-American War Fortifications(Approximately 3 miles south)
As tension mounted between the United States and Spain during the late 1890s, U. S. Representative Samuel Bronson Cooper of Texas recommended the War Department begin plans for the defense of the strategic Sabine Pass area. The Army Corps of . . . — Map (db m118776) HM
Texas (Jefferson County), Sabine Pass — Union Casualties at the Battle of Sabine Pass
Union Casualties at the Battle of Sabine Pass September 8, 1863 USS Clifton Killed United States Navy Exec. Officer Robert Rhodes Michael Driscoll, Landsman 75th Regt. New York Volunteers Pvt. Henry Raymond, Co. A . . . — Map (db m118812) HM WM
Texas (Jefferson County), Sabine Pass — 10559 — United States Forces at the Battle of Sabine Pass
Federal forces in the Civil War failed in most of their early efforts to capture Texas. In the fall of 1863, after taking New Orleans and Vicksburg, their leaders attacked Western Louisiana in a renewed effort. They wished to divert valuable stocks . . . — Map (db m118790) HM
Texas (Jefferson County), Sabine Pass — 13116 — World War II Coastal Defenses at Sabine Pass
The natural coastal cut of Sabine Pass has long been an important military strategic point, as evidenced by the battle that took place here during the Civil War. It was no less significant in World War II, when it became one of the primary points of . . . — Map (db m118778) HM
Texas (Leon County), Leona — 9622 — Site of the First Court House Built in Leon County
Here a log building was erected in 1846. County officials installed Nov. 12, 1846 Geo. V. Lusk, Chief Justice Wm. Childress, Probate Judge Israel P. Reinhardt, County Clerk Wm. B. Middleton, Sheriff David Foster, Coroner Baxter King, . . . — Map (db m119575) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 15587 — Atascosito
A Spanish settlement on the Atascosito road was established here in 1757 to prevent French trade with the Indians. Four and one-half miles west of here the road crossed the Trinity. There Alonso de Leon, Spanish explorer, crossed in 1690. The road . . . — Map (db m116714) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9675 — Captain William M. Logan
Born in North Carolina September 17, 1802 Moved to Liberty 1832 Died in Houston, November 22, 1839 Organized and commanded 3rd Co. 2nd Regiment Texas Volunteers Battle of San Jacinto First sheriff of Liberty County . . . — Map (db m117004) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 14366 — Col. Edward Bradford Pickett
Edward Bradford Pickett was a war veteran, lawyer and State Senator who resided in Liberty County. He was born in 1823 or 1824 in Statesville (Wilson Co.), Tennessee. In 1848, he enlisted as a private, serving in the U.S.-Mexico War. By 1851, . . . — Map (db m117038) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — Commercial CornerLiberty County Historic Landmark
The commercial buildings near the courthouse square have played important roles in the economic development of Liberty. German immigrant Henry Steusoff opened a dry goods store in 1866 and a grocery store in 1899 in this block.

In 1896 the new . . . — Map (db m117036) HM

Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9679 — Homesite of George Orr
George Orr first came to Texas in 1813 as a member of the Gutierrez-Magee Expedition. He returned in 1821 with his family and established a home at this site on the Old Atascosito Road. The Orr home was an important stopping place for travelers. Orr . . . — Map (db m117003) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 17840 — James B. Woods
James B. Woods, the third representative of the Municipality of Liberty to sign the Texas Declaration of Independence, was born on January 21, 1802 in Kentucky. He arrived in Texas in 1830 and settled in the Atascosito Libertad area of Mexico (now . . . — Map (db m116825) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9636 — Liberty Bicentennial Observance1756 • 1956
Atascosito, established Indian Village prior to 1690. Established as District on Atascosito Road by Spanish government in 1857 to prevent French trade with Indians. — Map (db m117190) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9670 — Liberty County
The home of the Orcoquisac Indians. An East – West trail across the region traveled by Alonso De Leon in 1690 became the “La Bahia” or “Lower Road” of the 18th century and the Opelousas Road of the 19th. At the point . . . — Map (db m117041) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9673 — Liberty Methodist Church
Late in 1840, the Rev. Hugh Fields, migrating to Texas from Mississippi, preached the first Methodist sermon in Liberty in the log courthouse. Liberty was one of 17 communities in the Republic of Texas to receive a ministerial appointment from the . . . — Map (db m116826) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 13537 — Ott Hotel
Built to capitalize on oil boom prosperity, the Ott Hotel became a Liberty landmark. The regional economy in the early 20th century focused on trade, timber and agriculture. The discovery of large oil fields, including Batson (15 mi. NE) and South . . . — Map (db m116824) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9680 — Plaza Constitucional(Municipal Square)
J. Francisco Madero, appointed by Mexican government to grant land titles, platted Liberty town tract, 1831, with 49 squares in inner city. Five were set aside for public usage — this square has always been site of municipal buildings. In . . . — Map (db m116713) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9648 — Plaza de Carcel y Casas de CorreccionSquare of the Jail and Houses of Correction
Originally mapped 1831, according to laws of "Coahuila and Texas", then the northernmost state of Mexico. Prison sentences were to be worked out here. By 1885, though, this square was in the mercantile section of town, and the plaza to the east . . . — Map (db m116829) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9682 — Plaza de MercadoMarket Place
Originally mapped in 1831 as a public plaza by the Mexican government, this was one of five such squares in the town of Liberty. Although this plaza was sold early to private individuals and did not become a public square, it has always been part of . . . — Map (db m116827) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9681 — Plaza Iglesia Parroquial(Parish Church Square)
This block of the inner town of Liberty was set aside and designated for Catholic use in 1831 by J. Francisco Madero, commissioner for the Mexican state of Coahuila-Texas. In April 1846, the Methodist Episcopal Church petitioned the town board . . . — Map (db m116712) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9664 — Sam Houston in Liberty County
Pioneer, lawyer, statesman, and leader of the Texas victory over Mexico at San Jacinto, General Sam Houston began a relationship with Liberty County in 1833 that was based on land ownership which continued until his death in 1863. During those years . . . — Map (db m117002) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — Sam Houston's Law Office
In memory of Sam Houston who during the 1840's occupied as an office a building which stood on this site. — Map (db m117037) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9687 — Seven Pines
Benjamin Franklin Hardin (1803-1878) came to this area with other members of his family in 1826. Settling in the Atascosito District of the Mexican state of Coahuila y Texas, Franklin Hardin was named surveyor of the district in 1834. As a member of . . . — Map (db m116711) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9691 — Site of Liberty's Ursuline Convent
In 1859 Bishop John Mary Odin sent a group of Ursulines from Galveston to Liberty to establish a convent and girls' school. Under the leadership of an energetic French nun, Mother Ambroise, the Sisters bought land at this site and erected two frame . . . — Map (db m116710) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 18457 — Tarver Abstract Company
For well over one hundred years, the Tarver Abstract Company has provided real property title information to the citizens of Liberty County. Thomas Carey Tarver (1846-1925), a native of Tennessee, moved to Texas as a young boy. He served in the . . . — Map (db m117062) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9686 — The Seven Courthouses of Liberty County
The town of Liberty served as the seat of government for the municipality of Liberty, one of 23 territories in Texas established by Mexico in the 1830s. The first courthouse was erected here in 1831 and was made of hewn logs. Municipalities were . . . — Map (db m116709) HM
Texas (Madison County), Madisonville — 12041 — First Baptist Church of Madisonville
In 1856, two years after the formation of Madisonville, J. W. D. Creath, a missionary to the fledgling State of Texas for the Southern Baptist Convention, deeded two town lots south of this site to the trustees of Madisonville Baptist Church. In . . . — Map (db m119573) HM
Texas (Madison County), Madisonville — 11258 — Madison County
. . . — Map (db m119572) HM
Texas (Madison County), Madisonville — 11257 — Truman Kimbro(1918-1944)
Madison County native Truman Kimbro was born in Cottonwood (6 mi. W), and attended school in nearby Center. Drafted into the army in December 1941, he arrived in Europe in October 1943 with the 2nd Engineer Battalion, 2nd Infantry Division. He was . . . — Map (db m119571) HM
Texas (Matagorda County), Bay City — 339 — Bay City Post Office
An election in the fall of 1894 resulted in the relocation of the Matagorda county seat from the city of Matagorda to Bay Prairie (now Bay City). D.P. Moore, the postmaster at the nearby small town of Elliott, owned property in the new town and . . . — Map (db m96314) HM
Texas (Midland County), Midland — 3363 — Midland County(Created and Organized, March 1885)
First known as the junction of many trails and site of the last Comanche raid into Texas. In 1881 the Texas and Pacific Railroad was built, equi-distant between El Paso and Fort Worth, this became known as Midland. First settler was a sheepman . . . — Map (db m86699) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — 7946 — First Girl's Tomato Club in Texas
The first Girl's Tomato Clubs in Texas were organized in 1912 in Milam County to acquaint young women in rural areas with tomato production and canning techniques. At the request of the United States Department of Agriculture, Mrs. Edna Westbrook . . . — Map (db m84662) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — 14048 — Milam County Jail of 1895
When the 1875 Milam County Jailhouse grew too crowded in the 1890s, it was removed to make room for larger facilities. In March 1895, the Milam County Commissioners awarded a contract to the Pauly Jail Building and Manufacturing Company of St. . . . — Map (db m84663) HM
Texas (Milam County), Cameron — 8004 — Steamboat Washington Landed Here
In the winter of 1850-1851 with Captain Basil M. Hatfield, Commander, the Steamboat Washington landed here with a shipment of merchandise from Washington-on-the-Brazos to J. W. McCown and Co., mer- chants at Cameron. The . . . — Map (db m74414) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Conroe — 7867 — Conroe
Established in the forest in 1881 as Isaac Conroe's sawmill, 2-1/2 mi. east of present site, at juncture of two railroads, first named Conroe's Switch; then Conroe's; in 1890, Conroe.

Lumbering brought prosperity. Chosen county seat in 1889. . . . — Map (db m117345) HM

Texas (Montgomery County), Conroe — 17662 — Conroe Fire of 1911
On February 21, 1911 around 1:30 in the morning, a fire broke out in the Capitol Drug Store on Chambers (today North Main) Street. The blaze was well underway before it was discovered and northerly winds began sweeping the flames southeastward . . . — Map (db m117347) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Conroe — 12320 — Conroe Telephone Exchange
A long distance telephone line ran from Houston to Gilbert's Drug Store in Conroe before Mr. Gilbert and Albert Madeley began a local telephone exchange in the store in 1899. Soon after, George Madeley purchased the exchange, naming it Conroe . . . — Map (db m117348) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), Conroe — 17660 — Montgomery County Courthouses
The Montgomery County Courthouse in the center of downtown Conroe memorializes the remarkable history of one of the oldest counties in the state of Texas. Montgomery County is the third county created by the Republic of Texas, originally part of the . . . — Map (db m117350) HM
Texas (Montgomery County), New Caney — 7892 — New Caney
Permanent settlement in what is now New Caney began in the 1860s. The area was first called Presswood for the pioneer family of Austin and Sarah (Waters) Presswood. The Presswoods came to Texas in 1862, purchased land in the area, and raised cattle . . . — Map (db m117349) HM
Texas (Orange County), Orange — 11520 — William Henry Stark
A native of San Augustine County, William Henry Stark (1851-1936) lived in Burkeville and Newton before moving to Orange in 1870. Here he worked in the early area sawmills and became acquainted with every phase of the lumber industry.

In 1881 . . . — Map (db m116243) HM

Texas (Pecos County), Fort Stockton — 2023 — Fort StocktonCSA
(Front): After Federal evacuation at start of Civil War, occupied by 2nd Regiment Texas Mounted Rifles. On far western frontier defense line. Supply post for troops going to and from Arizona-New Mexico campaign 1861-1862, designed to make . . . — Map (db m63592) HM WM
Texas (Pecos County), Fort Stockton — 2021 — Fort Stockton Guard House
Founded in 1859, Fort Stockton was abandoned during the Civil War and reestablished in 1867, when this guard house was built. Stone for the structure was quarried locally. The lumber was hauled from Indianola by oxcart. The Guard House consisted of . . . — Map (db m56547) HM
Texas (Pecos County), Fort Stockton — 4757 — Site of Comanche Springs
Used as a watering place and camping ground by Indians since pre-Columbian times, the springs were possibly visited about 1536 by Spaniard Cabeza de Vaca on his wanderings through Texas. The expedition of Juan de Mendoza, with his party of Spaniards . . . — Map (db m73285) HM
Texas (Pecos County), Fort Stockton — 4798 — Site of Fort Stockton
Established on the Comanche Trail, March 23, 1859, as a protection to the San Antonio-San Diego mail route. Named in honor of Commodore Robert Field Stockton, 1795-1866, who captured California for the United States. A stage stand on the San Diego . . . — Map (db m84320) HM
Texas (Polk County), Livingston — 10419 — Polk County, C.S.A.
During Civil War, 1861-65, an area of piney woods, farms, thickets, with an Alabama-Coushatta Indian reservation. Had only 600 voters in 1860 but sent 900 soldiers into the Confederate Army. Furnished 4 units to Hood's Texas Brigade (Co. B, 1st . . . — Map (db m119271) HM
Texas (Presidio County), Marfa — 3951 — Paisano Pass
Legend recounts that two Spaniards meeting here greeted each other "Mi Paisano" (My Countryman). First known to history when Juan Dominguez de Mendoza camped here on January 3, 1684. Well known after 1850 as a point on the Chihuahua Trail, an . . . — Map (db m26360) HM
Texas (Reagan County), Big Lake — 2785 — John H. ReaganThis County Named in 1903 For — (First Chairman of Railroad Commission of Texas) —
As congressman, 1876-1887, sponsored bill creating Interstate Commerce Commission; resigned 1891 from United States Senate to head newly-formed Railroad Commission, modeled after I.C.C., and created to regulate shipping rates and practices. In . . . — Map (db m118217) HM
Texas (Reagan County), Big Lake — 3232 — Martin-Castillo Expedition
Explored the Concho River, 32 miles north of here, gathering information on Jumano Indians and searching for pearls, 1650. Setting out from Santa Fe, Capts. Hernan Martin and Diego del Castillo traveled about 600 miles to the Jumano territory, . . . — Map (db m118213) HM
Texas (San Jacinto County), Coldspring — 13848 — Coldspring Methodist Church
Built to north, on land given, 1848, by Mr. and Mrs. F. H. Rankin, from an Austin Colony grant. Moved 1917 to new site. Bell over 100 years old. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964Map (db m118982) HM
Texas (San Jacinto County), Coldspring — 12179 — First Baptist Church of Coldspring(Laurel Hill Baptist Church)
Formally organized in 1848 in the small community known as "Fireman's Hill" (formerly "Coonskin"), Laurel Hill Baptist Church began with four members and the Rev. Joseph Warner Dossey Creath as its first pastor. The Rev. Mr. Creath came to Texas as . . . — Map (db m118984) HM
Texas (San Jacinto County), Coldspring — 7661 — Mount Moriah Lodge No. 37, A.F. & A.M.
Chartered by the Grand Lodge of Texas on January 15, 1848, this lodge first convened in the Mount Pleasant settlement. Early meetings were held at Fireman's Hill in a schoolhouse owned by Henry Gillette. That building was moved to Coldspring in . . . — Map (db m118985) HM
Texas (San Jacinto County), Coldspring — 7668 — San Jacinto County
Eighteenth century Spanish explorers gave to the hyacinth-choked stream the name of Saint Hyacinth. Anglo-Americans settled here after 1820. Formed from portions of Polk, Montgomery, Liberty and Walker counties. Created January 5, 1869; recreated . . . — Map (db m118972) HM
Texas (San Jacinto County), Coldspring — 12481 — San Jacinto County Courthouse
A fire in 1915 destroyed the San Jacinto County courthouse. Landowners donated land at this site and relocated the center of county government to "new town" Coldspring. The county hired builders Price and Williamson to construct the new courthouse . . . — Map (db m118971) HM
Texas (San Jacinto County), Old Waverly — 7673 — Old Waverly
Early center of culture for this part of Texas. Settled 1835-1850s, mainly by people from Alabama. Community was named for the Waverley novels of Sir Walter Scott, then very popular. To provide education equal to any, Waverly Institute was . . . — Map (db m118946) HM
Texas (Sutton County), Sonora — Albert R. Cauthorn1845-1920
Driving 1000 head of sheep, A.R. Cauthorn, with 9 year old son, James Albert, and brother Dan came from Missouri to Abilene in 1882. Wife Marcina Green Cauthorn died in MO. Son Bob came to TX. in 1891. Unhappy with the land, A.R. drifted south, . . . — Map (db m119423) HM
Texas (Sutton County), Sonora — B.M. Halbert1867-1946
Married Kidie Itasca Ellis of Edwards County January 19, 1895. Recognized adaptability of Angora goat to Edwards Plateau-imported stock from the Carolinas and stud billies from Turkey and South Africa. Was often called father of Angora goats in . . . — Map (db m119249) HM
Texas (Sutton County), Sonora — 963 — Colonel John S. SuttonCounty Named for Texas Confederate — 1812 - 1862 —
(front) At outbreak Civil War, this veteran soldier, Ranger, Indian fighter joined 7th Regiment Texas Mounted Volunteers. Elected Lt. Colonel, led five companies, Arizona-New Mexico campaign designed to make Confederacy an ocean to ocean . . . — Map (db m118018) HM
Texas (Sutton County), Sonora — Crawford Benton (Dutch) Wardlaw04-17-1887 - 11-10-1954
Son of Newton Jasper and Nancy Josephine Cody Married 12-24-1911 to Emma Leann Whitehead 12-04-1887 - 02-07-1964 Daughter of Walter and Mary Bell Martin Children: Cody Martin, Crawford Whitehead (Dink), Walter Hadley, Mary Emma . . . — Map (db m119419) HM
Texas (Sutton County), Sonora — D.B. Cusenbary1850-1918
A pioneer who came to this area in the late 1880's. He raised cattle, sheep and horses on land in Sutton and Edwards counties. Out of this land he made available six sections which became the Sonora Experiment Station. He married Annie E. Dickinson . . . — Map (db m119357) HM
Texas (Sutton County), Sonora — David & Serena Estes Adams / James & Cora Vincent Trainer
The Adamses came in 1880's. David, Confederate soldier, rancher, farmer, operated Sonora's first hotel. James served in Union Army named Fort Concho's first sutler. Cora moved to Fort Terrett in late 1880's after his death with their sons, George, . . . — Map (db m119333) HM
Texas (Sutton County), Sonora — E.F. & Bessie Wyatt Vanderstucken
Emil Felix Vanderstucken, born in 1866, came to Sonora in 1890 from Menard. He helped organize the First National Bank and served as President for many years. In addition to ranching, he also operated a mercantile business for 54 years. In 1900 he . . . — Map (db m119334) HM
Texas (Sutton County), Sonora — Felipe & Tomasa Lara Virgen
Felipe came from Zaragoza, Coahuila, Mexico with 3 sons in 1907 to work at the Fawcett Ranch. In 1910 he brought all of his family to Sonora. Leonardo, Teadoro, Eligio, Felipe, Jr., and Andres married in Sonora. Eufemia, the only daughter, did not . . . — Map (db m119422) HM
Texas (Sutton County), Sonora — Fred and Serena Adams Trainer
Married in 1900, both descended from Sutton County founding families, raised their twelve children, Edith, Cora, Fred, Joe, George, John, Jack, Frances, Mercedes (Dee), Clifford, Serena, Mildred (Millie) here. Fred died in 1923. His wife, . . . — Map (db m119250) HM
Texas (Sutton County), Sonora — George H. McDonald & Josie C. McDonald
These Sutton County pioneers were married in Lampasas County in 1886 and came to Sonora in 1890 with their livestock. In 1895, they gave up ranching and moved into town, where they purchased the Wyatt Hotel located in the heart of the business . . . — Map (db m119487) HM
Texas (Sutton County), Sonora — George S. Allison & Wife, Margaret ThornhillSettled in Sutton County December, 1885
With five children: John, Will, Curt, Dona, and H.P. "Buster". Other children born in Sonora, Sutton Co. Carrie, Clara, Joe, Tot, Dollie, and Sam. John Sutton-Jack and Margaret Will- Curt-George Edward, George Curtis "Son", Patsy and . . . — Map (db m119248) HM
Texas (Sutton County), Sonora — In Memory of Ed Jackson
Early Sutton County pioneer Organized the First National Bank His sister Winnie Reber Harris, married W. L. Aldwell Rancher, Banker, and first Mayor of Sonora Their four children were: George Lea Aldwell Roy Edward Aldwell, I Ida A. . . . — Map (db m119365) HM
Texas (Sutton County), Sonora — Isaac and Victoria Miers
One of the early families in Sonora was that of Isaac and Victoria Miers. They built the fifth house in Sonora. Isaac was born April 13, 1835 in Carrol County, Mississippi. Victoria was born December 11, 1841 in Painsville, Lake County, Ohio. They . . . — Map (db m119484) HM
Texas (Sutton County), Sonora — Joe Berger1888-1958
Joe's uncle, Fred, arrived in Sutton County about the time of the county's organization working on the Ft. Terrett Ranch. Joe was born in Austria and emigrated to Sonora in 1907. Married Velma Mittle in 1922. Joe and Velma made land available to . . . — Map (db m119420) HM
Texas (Sutton County), Sonora — Leroy P. & Martha Ann Valliant
"Lee” was born in 1847 in Pontotoc Co., Miss. and came west with a cattle drive. He began ranching in Mason Co. "Sis” was born in 1860 in Hunt Co. She lost her first husband and three children in a flu epidemic, sold her land in East . . . — Map (db m119421) HM
Texas (Sutton County), Sonora — 3765 — Old Mercantile Building
Kentucky native Ed R. Jackson (1860-1911), a prominent local rancher and banker, had this two-story Italianate commercial building constructed in 1902-03. Located on the site of an early hotel and a later mercantile store, both of which were . . . — Map (db m117931) HM
Texas (Sutton County), Sonora — Robert Halbert & Battie Halbert
Robert born June 11, 1891 in Ft. McKavett, Tex. and died Sept. 16, 1983. Battie born Dec. 14, 1894 in Florence, Tex. and died Nov. 26, 1991. They met while attending Howard Payne college and married July 12, 1912. Two daughters survive, Allie (Mrs. . . . — Map (db m119486) HM
Texas (Sutton County), Sonora — 5973 — Site of Sonora Town Well
Pioneers seeking grazing land in arid Sutton County needed a reliable source of water. In 1887 Sonora's closest well, one of five in the county, was three miles away. Using a horse-driven drill, Charlie Adams sank the town's first well in 1889 at . . . — Map (db m117930) HM
Texas (Sutton County), Sonora — Sol & Ernestine Mayer
F. Mayer & Sons purchased the T-Half Circle Ranch in Sutton and Schleicher counties in 1896. Sol, who became sole owner, was a livestock trader, rancher, banker and philanthropist. The ranch has been continuously operated by his heirs, his son . . . — Map (db m119356) HM
Texas (Sutton County), Sonora — 5158 — Sutton County Jail
Soon after Sutton County was organized (1890), the commissioners authorized the Pauley Jail Building and Manufacturing Co. of St. Louis to erect this jail. Construction was begun in Feb. 1891 under the supervision of Judge J.L. Dunagan. Completed in . . . — Map (db m117986) HM
Texas (Sutton County), Sonora — The Espy Family
Settled in: Pennsylvania in the 1720's-Texas in the 1830's-Schleicher County in 1900-and spanned 265 years and 9 generations by 1990. Hugh Stockton-Annie L. Harrell Espy's family: Nettie Mae-Sarah E.-Thomas H.-Ruth-Howard D. Thomas and Howard . . . — Map (db m119485) HM
Texas (Sutton County), Sonora — 5341 — The Frisco TrailwayThis Site is One Mile North of the Starting Point of
Important in development of Sutton County. 100-mile Market Lane, used 1900-1930. Built by E.F. Tillman (agent, Fort Worth & Rio Grande Railway), to move cattle via Fort McKavett and Menard to railhead at Brady. Fenced and 250 feet wide (generally), . . . — Map (db m117932) HM
Texas (Sutton County), Sonora — W.J. & Viola Gibbons Fields
W.J., born in 1868, came to Sutton Co. from his home in Manor, TX. in 1887 to operate ranch land his father Dr. J.D. Fields of Manor had owned since 1883. The land remains in the family in 1990. ”Will" met Viola, daughter of Emory Gibbons, in . . . — Map (db m119366) HM
Texas (Sutton County), Sonora — Walter Ephriam WhiteheadSon of George Washington & Rachel Janel (Francis) Whitehead
Settled in Sutton County in early 1880's Walter E. married Mary Bell Martin to whom were born Emma Leanna-C. B. Wardlaw Charles Hadley (Tio)-Bachelor Walter Rowland (Lee)-Dora Davis Willie B. - Della Rose Halbert Francis Harris . . . — Map (db m119247) HM
Texas (Sutton County), Sonora — William Forrest WhiteheadSon of George Washington and Rachel Frances Whitehead
Was born in Gonzales County in 1865-settled in the Sutton County area in 1880's. Married Minnie Amanda Bales in Junction 1890. Children born George Robert married Jennie Graham Amor Bales (Boo) married Loddie Lee Rogers Forrest Carl . . . — Map (db m119359) HM
Texas (Sutton County), Sonora — William Lee Miers1900-1986
Born September 2, 1900 on the Miers Ranch southwest of Sonora, "Willie” was the only son out of the seven children of William Andrew and Belle Birtrong Miers. Both his parents and his grandparents, Isaac and Victoria Miers and the Tom . . . — Map (db m119424) HM
Texas (Sutton County), Sonora — WTO Holman and Wife, Annie Gray
WTO Holman and wife, Annie Gray, moved to Sutton County in 1901 with their eight children. They purchased land in Sutton, Edwards and Val Verde counties which has been continuously owned by family members (1990). Grandchildren: Annette Holman . . . — Map (db m119355) HM
Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — 1478 — Emmanuel Episcopal Church
First Episcopal services in area were at Ft. Concho, 1871. First parish church was built 1888 with aid from Emmanuel Episcopal Church, Baltimore, MD.

This edifice of 1929 has stones and bell from 1884 Tom Green Courthouse and garden wall . . . — Map (db m116728) HM

Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — 15218 — Orient-Santa Fe Passenger Depot
The Kansas City, Mexico, and Orient Railway Company (KCM&O) built this depot in 1909-10. The KCM&O was one of three connecting railroads promoted by mining and railroad entrepreneur Arthur E. Stilwell. The proposed rail system ran 1,600 miles . . . — Map (db m71889) HM
Texas (Upton County), Rankin — 2771 — Colonels John C. and William F. UptonUpton County
(Front): County Named for Texas Confederates John C. Upton and W. F. Upton (Brothers) Colonel John Cunningham Upton (1828-1862) Born Tennessee. Came to Texas 1859. Raised company outbreak of Civil War. Attached to 5th Texas . . . — Map (db m118234) HM
Texas (Upton County), Rankin — 4200 — Rankin
Made Upton County seat in 1921. Named for F.E. Rankin, who gave site for railroad station - the center of community life over and above its business dealings; was scene of cowboy dances on Saturday nights and church services on Sundays. Home of . . . — Map (db m118236) HM
Texas (Upton County), Rankin — 5611 — UplandFirst Upton County Seat
Now abandoned, the town of Upland (10 miles N) was intended as a station on the rail line from St. Louis to Chihuahua, Mexico. It was also located near the stage route of the Butterfield mail line. Henry Halff and his son platted the townsite in . . . — Map (db m118237) HM
Texas (Upton County), Rankin — 5613 — Upton County
Formed from Tom Green County created February 26, 1887 - organized May 7, 1910. Named in honor of John Cunningham Upton 1828-1868. A distinguished Confederate officer killed at Manassas, August 30, 1862. County Seat, Upland, 1910-1921; . . . — Map (db m118235) HM
Texas (Waller County), Hempstead — 9376 — Clear Creek Confederate War Camps
Although no physical evidence has been found of the Confederate camp sites in this area, historical accounts have established that this part of Waller County was the location of several Civil War encampments. The close proximity of Clear Creek, the . . . — Map (db m74263) HM
Texas (Waller County), Hempstead — 9386 — Groce Family Plantations
Pioneers in this Texas area. Had early cotton gin and ferry. Founder of family was Jared E. Groce (1782-1836), who came to Texas in 1822. His large wagon train brought elaborate plantation equipment. Groce built "Bernardo" and "Groce's Retreat." . . . — Map (db m74265) HM
Texas (Wise County), Decatur — 18551 — Captain George W. Stevens
Captain George W. Stevens was born in Lowndes County, Alabama, on July 12, 1830. He lived in Arkansas briefly where he married Martha McDonald in 1852. The couple moved to the Wise County area in 1855 and Stevens became a leader in the efforts to . . . — Map (db m108526) HM
Texas (Wise County), Decatur — 822 — Charles Vernon Terrell(May 2, 1861 - November 17, 1959)
A leading public man in Texas, 1896-1939. Born in Wise County to early (1854) settlers. After two years at Texas A. & M., read law and began practice in 1886. Served 1888-92 as Decatur City Attorney; 1892-96 as County Attorney; 1896-1901 and 1909-13 . . . — Map (db m108521) HM
Texas (Wise County), Decatur — 17980 — Colonel Absalom Bishop
Absalom Bishop (1804-1883) began his military service as a Captain of Militia in the Seminole War in Florida. He later attained the rank of Colonel. Bishop lived in several states before arriving in Hopkins County, Texas, in 1852, and then in what . . . — Map (db m108529) HM
Texas (Wise County), Decatur — 4194 — Randolph Vesey(1832-1908)
Respected Negro citizen and homeowner. Champion pioneer fiddler, popular at Forts Belknap, Griffin and Richardson and over county. Once when he was an Indian captive, held in Kansas, Texans sent ponies to ransom him. He is buried in Oaklawn, . . . — Map (db m108524) HM
Texas (Wise County), Decatur — 5877 — Wise County C.S.A.
County named for Henry A. Wise, U.S. Senator from Virginia who supported Texas annexation, later Governor and C.S.A. general. Wise County was part of District One of 33 brigade districts of Texas established to recruit men for Confederate and state . . . — Map (db m108530) HM

913 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 713
Paid Advertisement