Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

903 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 are listed. Previous 200 Next 503
 
Early Texas A&M Campus Housing Marker image, Touch for more information
By Brian Anderson, July 1, 2018
Early Texas A&M Campus Housing Marker
Idaho (Blaine County), Carey — 305 — Goodale's Cutoff
An old emigrant road headed west across Camas Prairie and then descended to the valley below on its way to rejoin the Oregon Trail 28 miles west of here. This route, discovered by Donald Mackenzie's fur trade party in 1820, came into use for . . . — Map (db m125602) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — 192 — RoswellPopulation 50,000 - Elevation 3,612
Roswell was a watering place for the Pecos Valley cattle drives of the 1870s and 1880s. It was incorporated in 1891 and is seat of Chaves County, named for Col. J. Francisco Chaves, Civil War Soldier and delegate to the U.S. Congress from the . . . — Map (db m119935) HM
New Mexico (Doña Ana County), Mesilla — 693 — La Mesilla
The 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo ended the Mexican-American War, establishing Mesilla as a Mexican holding. Cura Ramon Ortiz settled families from El Paso del Norte and pre-territorial New Mexico here. Disputes over the border just north of town . . . — Map (db m119926) HM
New Mexico (Eddy County), Artesia — 394 — ArtesiaPopulation 10,385 – Elevation 3,350
Artesia, named for the area's many artesian wells, lies on the route of the Pecos Valley cattle trails used by Charles Goodnight, Oliver Loving, and John S. Chisum. The town, established in 1903, is located in what was once part of Chisum's vast . . . — Map (db m119811) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — 421 — Lincoln
This is a two-sided marker Side A: Spanish-speaking settlers established a town here in the 1850s, after the U.S. Army began to control the Mescalero Apaches. First known as Las Placitas del Río Bonito, the name of the community . . . — Map (db m119774) HM
New Mexico (San Miguel County), Pecos — 203 — Pecos National Historical Park
Front: Humans have inhabited the Pecos Valley for at least 12,000 years. The fifteenth century Towa-speaking trading pueblo, Cicuyé, had over 2,000 inhabitants. During the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, Franciscan churches were built . . . — Map (db m119913) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 712 — Inez Bushner Gill (1918–1982) and Maralyn Budke (1936–2010)
Front: Inez Bushner Gill impressed governors, legislators and journalists with her fiscal expertise. Among the original staff of the Legislative Council Service when it was founded in 1951, she served as fiscal analyst and principal staff for . . . — Map (db m119928) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 574 — Mother Magdalen and the Sisters of Loretto (1852-1968)
(side one) Four Sisters of Loretto, Mother Magdalen Hayden and Sisters Roberta Brown, Rosana Dant and Catherine Mahoney, arrived in Santa Fe from Kentucky on September 26, 1852. In January 1853 they established Our Lady of Light Academy, . . . — Map (db m119764) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 739 — Route 66
You are traveling an early alignment of U.S. 66, perhaps the most well-known road to follow this historic transportation corridor. A Spanish mission trail to Pecos Pueblo, the Santa Fe Trail and the National Old Trails Road all predate the Mother . . . — Map (db m119914) HM
New Mexico (Torrance County), Mountainair — 76 — Abó RuinsSalinas National Monument — 3/4 Mile North —
Located adjacent to the major east-west trade route through Abó Pass, the Tompiro Pueblo of Abó (ca. 1300s-1670s) was one of the Southwest’s largest Pueblo Indian villages. Extensive Indian house complexes are dominated by the unique buttressed . . . — Map (db m119761) HM
New Mexico (Torrance County), Mountainair — 684 — Gran Quivíra RuinsSalinas National Monument — 1 Mile South —
The Tompiro Indian “Pueblo de las Humanas" (ca. 1300-1670s) had 1,500 to 2,000 inhabitants and was a trading center with Plains Indians. The village evolved for centuries on the fringe of the Mogollon and Anasazi cultures. There are two large . . . — Map (db m119759) HM
New Mexico (Torrance County), Mountainair — 79 — Quarai RuinsSalinas National Monument — 1 Mile West —
On the edge of the Plains stands the abandoned Tiwa Pueblo Indian village of Quarai (ca. 1200–1670s), the southernmost of the Tiwa villages, located along the eastern flanks of the Manzano Mountains. The Spanish Franciscan mission church of La . . . — Map (db m119760) HM
Oklahoma (Cleveland County), Norman — Cleveland County Courthouse
Norman was designated as the seat of Cleveland County shortly after the Land Run of 1889. The first permanent courthouse was located in the Original Townsite of Norman at the corner of Gray Street and Ponca Avenue. This structure was destroyed by . . . — Map (db m121720) HM
Oklahoma (Cleveland County), Norman — The Beginning of Cleveland County
Although the Norman townsite was settled during the Land Run on April 22, 1889, Cleveland County did not exist for another year, and almost wasn't named Cleveland County. In fact, if not for the efforts of Norman's early citizens and civic leaders, . . . — Map (db m121630) HM
Oklahoma (Garvin County), Pauls Valley — Garvin County War Memorial
Freedom Is Not Free In honor of all Garvin Countians who sacrificed their lives while serving our country in time of war, for it is only through the efforts of those who served, and those who died, that America enjoys the freedom and prosperity . . . — Map (db m121754) WM
Oklahoma (Love County), Marietta — Love County
Love County has a rich historical significance to Oklahoma and the nation. Carved from the Louisiana Purchase and acquired from the Choctaw Nation by the Chickasaw Nation, the county was named for the Loves, a prominent Chickasaw family. Early . . . — Map (db m121634) HM
Oklahoma (Love County), Marietta — Love County Courthouse
Oklahoma's first county courthouse built after Statehood. The corner-stone of Nelson Georgia marble was laid during Masonic ceremonies on April 29, 1910. The building was dedicated on November 24, with Senator J. Clint Graham presiding. The building . . . — Map (db m121635) HM
Oklahoma (McClain County), Purcell — PurcellThe Birthplace of Oklahoma
The inter-territory statehood convention, the first to advocate single statehood for Oklahoma and Indian Territories, met on September 30, 1893 in Purcell's Methodist Episcopal Church, south at approximately 319 W. Washington. Delegates from both . . . — Map (db m121632) HM
Oklahoma (Murray County), Sulphur — Sulphur
Springs in this area were first used by wildlife, Indians, and cattlemen. In 1902, Sulphur Springs Reservation was founded, renamed Platt Nat'l Park in 1906, and became part of Chickasaw Nat'l Rec. Area in 1976. The town was moved twice to its . . . — Map (db m121633) HM
Texas (Austin County), Bellville — 243 — Austin County
A part of the grant to Stephen F. Austin in 1821 Created a municipality under the Mexican government in 1828 Became a county of the Republic of Texas, March 17, 1836 Named in honor of Stephen Fuller Austin, 1793-1836 Pioneer . . . — Map (db m125601) HM
Texas (Austin County), Bellville — 244 — Austin County Jail
Calling their old jail "unsafe, unfit, and inadequate," the Austin County Court contracted in 1896 with Pauly Jail Building Co. of St. Louis to erect this structure at cost of $19,970. Romanesque Revival style, with crenelated parapets, bartizans, . . . — Map (db m125600) HM
Texas (Austin County), Bellville — 11699 — Bellville
Brothers Thomas and James Bell came to this area from Florida in 1822 with Stephen F. Austin's colony and acquired about 2,000 acres of land in 1837. Thomas Bell offered a portion of his land at this site for a new townsite to replace San Felipe as . . . — Map (db m125599) HM
Texas (Austin County), Bellville — 18106 — First National Bank of Bellville
The First National Bank of Bellville, chartered on February 25, 1890, is the oldest bank in Austin County, and one of four national banks in Texas still in existence that were chartered in 1890. The first officers were E. J. Marshall, President; C. . . . — Map (db m125598) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), Angleton — 9533 — Old Brazoria County Courthouse
Angleton's first permanent courthouse was built in 1897, a year after the city was chosen Brazoria County seat. Constructed from plans originally drawn for the Matagorda County courthouse, the structure was enlarged and extensively remodeled in . . . — Map (db m120661) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), Angleton — 13337 — Robert J. Calder
Robert James Calder was born in 1810 to James H. and Jane E. (Caldwell) Calder in Baltimore, Maryland. His father died when he was a child, and Robert and his mother moved to Kentucky, where he was raised in part by his mother's family. They moved . . . — Map (db m120660) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), Old Ocean — 9600 — Sweeny Plantation
John Sweeny, Jr., after returning from the Texas Revolution, was given this plantation by his father, an extensive landholder. In 1837 slaves built the house, using only brick, nails and wood made on his land. Molasses, cotton, sugar were produced. . . . — Map (db m120659) HM
Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 15825 — The CW&BV and I&GN Railroads in Bryan
Bryan was platted on land granted to the Houston & Texas Central Railroad in 1859. In 1900, a second railroad, the Calvert, Waco & Brazos Valley (CW & BV) was built through Bryan by George Gould. The CW & BV built a depot here in 1900; besides train . . . — Map (db m119629) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Academic Building
The Academic Building (1914) was designed by campus architect Frederick E. Giesecke, '86 and Samuel E. Gideon, after Old Main was destroyed by fire in 1912. The beaux-arts classical design is a four-storied reinforced concrete structure faced with . . . — Map (db m120269) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Chemistry Building
The Chemistry Building (1929) was designed by S. C. P. Vosper, using classical design proportions and details. It was extended to the east in 1981 and 1988. The ornamentation uses a variety of color schemes in tile patterns inspired from the art of . . . — Map (db m120273) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 8674 — College Station Railroad Depots
In 1871 Texas Governor Edmund Davis appointed three Commissioners to select a site for the newly established Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (Texas A&M College). The Commissioners chose this location in large part because of the . . . — Map (db m119630) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 8675 — Early Texas A&M Campus Housing
When Texas A&M University opened in 1876, it was four miles from Bryan, the nearest town, and the need for campus housing for faculty and staff arose. The first of the campus houses, five brick homes along the east side of Throckmorton Street, were . . . — Map (db m119625) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Francis Hall
Rolland Adelsperger, College Architect and Professor of Architecture and Architectural Engineering designed Francis Hall in a highly distinctive romanesque style in 1913 for the School of Veterinary Medicine. The proposed design exceeded the . . . — Map (db m120274) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — History Building
The History Building was erected in 1922 as the Agriculture Building and housed the Dean of Agriculture for about ten years. Architect E. B. La Roche used a classical revival style with a strong base, rusticated brick main floor, and two-story . . . — Map (db m120275) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — K. K. Legett Hall Centennial
Built in 1911, Legett Hall is the oldest residence hall on campus and one of two remaining along Military Walk. Named for Judge Kirvin Kade Legett (1857-1926) of Abilene, President of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas Board of . . . — Map (db m120270) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 13369 — Main Drill Field, Texas A&M University
Texas A&M University opened in October 1876 and established the Corps of Cadets to fulfill its Congressional mandate to teach military tactics. The students at what was then an all-male institution were required to serve in the corps and follow . . . — Map (db m119627) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Nagle Hall
Nagle Hall is one of the oldest buildings on campus, constructed in 1909 as the Civil Engineering building. Renamed in 1929 for James C. Nagle, the first dean of the School of Engineering. The design maintains the campus' distinct classical . . . — Map (db m120268) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Sbisa Dining Hall
Sbisa Dining Hall (1913) was designed by campus architect Frederick E. Giesecke to replace the castle-like 1897 mess hall that burned in 1911. It anchors the north end of Military Walk whose south terminus was Guion Assembly Hall (1918-1971). A . . . — Map (db m120271) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 8698 — Texas A&M Corps of Cadets
Soon after its opening in 1876, the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (Texas A&M) established the Corps of Cadets to fulfill its mandate to instruct its students (all-male until the early 1960s) in military science. A&M contributed more . . . — Map (db m119628) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Williams Administration Building
The Williams Building (1932) was designed by architect S. C. P. Vosper in a classical revival style as the headquarters for the Texas A&M System. The building faced the new state highway symbolizing the shift from train to automobile travel. The . . . — Map (db m120276) HM
Texas (Burleson County), Caldwell — 7555 — Burleson County, C.S.A.
On Feb. 23, 1861, citizens voted for secession, 422 to 84. On March 1, the "Burleson Guards" organized and offered its services to the state. Most "Guards" were mustered into Co.G, 2nd Texas Infantry Regt., and others served in Walker's Texas . . . — Map (db m125671) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Indianola — 2642 — Indianola
Many currents of the mainstream of Texas history flow in this onetime port. Pineda explored the coast in 1519 and La Salle planted a settlement near here in 1685. Once an Indian trading point, it was a major seaport from 1844 to 1875. Texas . . . — Map (db m120708) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Indianola — 4243 — Rene Robert Cavelier Sieur de la Salle
(side 1) Born in Rouen France November 22, 1643. Came to Canada in 1668. Founded a first settlement near Montreal. Led several expeditions on the Great Lakes and the Ohio and Illinois rivers. Completed the exploration of the Mississippi, . . . — Map (db m120700) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Indianola — 4938 — Site of the Town of Indianola1844-1886
First called by German immigrants Karlshaven, an important port of Texas. Cargoes of ships were hauled to and from points in Texas and Mexico by carts until 1860 when the San Antonio and Mexico Gulf Railroad and the Indianola Railroad were completed . . . — Map (db m120706) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Indianola — 17226 — The Chihuahua Road
Between 1844 and 1887, Indianola grew to become a cosmopolitan port city that was second only to Galveston. Indianola became a port for trade and was the eastern terminus of the Chihuahua Road that traveled overland from the mines of Chihuahua city . . . — Map (db m120703) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Indianola — 17475 — The Great Camel Experiment
No immigrants arriving in Indianola were quite as exotic as the seventy-five camels that came ashore in 1856 and 1857 from Algeria, Tunisia, Egypt and Turkey. As early as 1836, politicians, diplomats and the military were considering the importation . . . — Map (db m120677) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Magnolia Beach — 5952 — Zimmerman Cemetery(One Mile Southeast)
The earliest marked grave in the Zimmerman Cemetery, that of Georchim Wedig, is dated 1852. In 1863, Wedig's daughter Katherine married John Gonzales (1838-1918), who had come to Indianola in 1858 with Joseph Mendez (d. . . . — Map (db m120713) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Olivia — 3855 — Olivia
Established in 1892, the community of Olivia was named for Olivia Haterius, wife of the Rev. Carl J.E. Haterius, a Swedish Lutheran minister who bought land in the area and advertised a new settlement to other Swedish immigrants in the Midwest. . . . — Map (db m120734) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Olivia — 3856 — Olivia Cemetery
In 1892, the Rev. Carl J.E. Haterius of Galesburg, Illinois, acquired land at this site with the intention of establishing a community for Swedish settlers. He named the settlement for his wife, Olivia. When the townsite was laid out in 1893, land . . . — Map (db m120735) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 17992 — Battle of Norris Bridge
In November of 1863, in the midst of the Civil War, the Union Army arrived in Calhoun County. Union and Texas troops rarely met on the field of battle in Texas, as most of the war was concentrated in the east and south of the country. The Union . . . — Map (db m120714) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 12452 — Calhoun County Hurricanes
Severe storms with high winds, heavy rains and tidal surges, hurricanes have played a significant role in events that shaped Calhoun County's history. Entire towns, including Indianola (a key Gulf seaport and Calhoun County seat) and Saluria . . . — Map (db m120674) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 17137 — Calhoun County Participation During World War II
Before World War II, Calhoun County was primarily involved in farming, ranching and commercial seafood but after the attack on Pearl Harbor, the county became a major participant in the war effort. In November 1940, much of the county's shoreline . . . — Map (db m120676) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 17477 — Howard Gallemore Hartzog, Sr.
In the mid-twentieth century, Calhoun County was beginning an unprecedented period of growth. Howard G. Hartzog, Sr. was an active community leader who guided the county as a private citizen, county judge and as a state representative by diligently . . . — Map (db m120672) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 9118 — Chambers County
Formed from Jefferson and Liberty counties. Created February 12, 1858. Organized August 2, 1858. Named in honor of General Thomas Jefferson Chambers 1802-1865 The first and only superior judge of Texas before the Revolution. Member of . . . — Map (db m121264) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 9117 — Chambersea
Built in 1845. Home of Thomas Jefferson Chambers, early civic and business leader whose love for Texas was proclaimed by the "Star" window in the west gable. The modest board-and-batten pioneer house has another unique feature in the graceful, . . . — Map (db m121263) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 12651 — Graydon
The farming community of Graydon flourished along the west fork of Double Bayou at the turn of the century. Benjamin F. Sterling (1831-1917), one of the earliest settlers in the area, brought his family here in 1869. He is credited . . . — Map (db m121360) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 9116 — Home of Thomas Jefferson Chambers1802 - 1865
Surveyor General of Texas, 1829. Sole superior judge of Texas before 1836. Active in the cause of independence. Member of Secession Convention, 1861. Chambersea, later Anahuac, and a Texas county were named in his honor. — Map (db m121340) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 12650 — James Taylor White
A veteran of the War of 1812, James Taylor White (b.1789) migrated to this area from Louisiana in 1828. As a rancher, he developed one of the largest herds of Longhorn cattle in southeast Texas. On White's ranch in June 1832, area colonists . . . — Map (db m121266) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 9126 — Lone Star Canal
Berriman Richard Garland (1840-1918), a native of Indiana, saw the need for fresh water for rice crops in east Chambers County. Garland and A. L. Williams began in 1902 acquiring land and constructing this irrigation canal. It started at the mouth . . . — Map (db m121261) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 9133 — The Dr. N.T. Schilling Medical Office
Nicholas T. Schilling, born in Bavaria on Nov. 28, 1845, came as a small child with his parents to the United States. He served in the Civil War (1861-65) as a youthful volunteer in the Maryland cavalry. In 1872, he received his M.D. degree from the . . . — Map (db m121262) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Alto — 6971 — Mound Prairie
Bulging out of the earth a few yards from this point, three prehistoric Indian mounds interrupt the prevailing flat terrain. Long overgrown with grass, the mounds and adjacent village (covering about 100 acres) constitute one of the major aboriginal . . . — Map (db m121333) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Alto — 6838 — Site of Lacy's Fort
Built before 1835 as a home and trading post by Martin Lacy, Indian agent for the Mexican government. Used as a place of refuge after the massacre of the Killough family, October 5, 1838. — Map (db m121259) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Alto — 15628 — Site of Mission San Francisco de los Tejas
Originally established as Mission San Francisco de los Tejas in 1690 by Franciscan missionaries for the purpose of Christianizing and civilizing the Neches and other Indians of the region. Reestablished in 1716. Abandoned temporarily due to French . . . — Map (db m121257) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Alto — 6860 — Site of Neches Indian Village
Here at the opening of the 18th century stood a village of the Neches Indians. Their name was given to the river and later to a mission, San Francisco de Los Neches, established near by. With the Cherokees, the Neches Indians were expelled from . . . — Map (db m121335) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Alto — 6646 — Site of the Delaware Indian Village
Noted as interpreters and messengers of peace, the Delawares were chiefly instrumental in bringing other tribes to the General Treaty at Bird's Fort (in the present county of Tarrant) in 1843. — Map (db m121258) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Alto — 6962 — Zebulon Pike Campsite
In 1807, under commission from Gen. James Wilkinson, Governor of the Louisiana Territory, Lt. Zebulon Pike led an expedition to explore the headwaters of the Arkansas and Red Rivers and to report on Spanish settlements in the New Mexico area. . . . — Map (db m121256) HM
Texas (Cooke County), Gainesville — 1054 — Cooke County C.S.A. / 2nd Frontier Regiment
Front Cooke County C.S.A. Military, defense center in Civil War. Cooke voted 231 to 137 anti-secession, yet nine military units served Confederacy from here. In constant danger of Federal or Indian attack. Col. Wm. . . . — Map (db m121778) HM
Texas (Cooke County), Gainesville — 13812 — Moffett Park
The owner of 90 acres in this vicinity, Missouri native Ned Moffett, Sr., (1842-1924) wed Mary Stone on April 19, 1866. The couple had nine children, and early census records listed the family as Mulatto. The Moffetts permitted use of this property . . . — Map (db m121776) HM
Texas (Cooke County), Gainsville — 1053 — Cooke County
Created March 20, 1848. Organized March 10, 1849. Named in honor of William G. Cooke 1808-1847 Captain of the "New Orleans Greys," 1835 Assistant Inspector General at San Jacinto, 1836 Member of the Santa Fe Expedition, 1841 . . . — Map (db m121775) HM
Texas (Cooke County), Valley View — 2958 — Kiowa Raid of 1868(SW Part of County)
On Jan. 5-6, 1868, Chief Big Tree and 150 to 200 Kiowas raided Willa Walla Valley, Clear Creek and Blocker Creek. Burned homes; killed 13 people; scalped one woman alive. Captured 10 women and children; 3 escaped, 2 were ransomed. Raiders reached . . . — Map (db m121774) HM
Texas (Denton County), Denton — 1207 — Denton County
Created April 11, 1846 from Fannin County Organized July 13, 1846 with Denton as county seat Both town and county are named in honor of John B. Denton 1807-1841 Pioneer preacher, lawyer and Indian fighter First county seat . . . — Map (db m121786) HM
Texas (Denton County), Denton — 1208 — Denton County Courthouse
Built 1896-97. Fifth courthouse for Denton County. First was at Alton, second at Pinckneyville. Third (in Denton) was burned in crime charged to a member of the Sam Bass Gang of outlaws. Walls are native limestone; columns, Burnet County . . . — Map (db m121787) HM
Texas (Denton County), Denton — 18167 — Edna Westbrook Trigg in Denton County
Edna Westbrook Trigg (1868-1946) was the first county home demonstration agent appointed in Texas in 1915, serving in Denton County from February 1916 through December 1937. She was named Denton County home demonstration emeritus from January 1, . . . — Map (db m121785) HM
Texas (Denton County), Denton — 2767 — John B. Denton
Born in Tennessee July 26, 1806, came to Texas in January, 1836, as a Methodist circuit rider. Killed in the Village Creek Indian fight May 24, 1841 in what is now Tarrant County. Named for Gen. Edward H. Tarrant who commanded the volunteers. Denton . . . — Map (db m121788) HM
Texas (Denton County), Denton — 5309 — The City of Denton
Pioneers settled this locality in the 1840s. In 1846 the Texas Legislature created Denton County - one of several carved from the Peters Colony grant. After trying other sites, the voters in 1856 accepted for county seat this tract donated by Hiram . . . — Map (db m121784) HM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Richmond — 8994 — Fort Bend County Courthouse
This classical revival building is the fifth courthouse for Fort Bend County, which was organized in 1837. The structure was designed by C. H. Page of Austin and dedicated in 1909. The contractor was the Texas Building Company, also of Austin. . . . — Map (db m122796) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 1735 — James W. RobinsonFirst Lieutenant Governor of Texas — (1800-1857) —
First Lieutenant Governor of Texas James W. Robinson (1800-1857) Born in Indiana. Came to Texas in 1833. Elected lieutenant governor in November, 1835, Served as governor January to March 1836, then fought as a private in the Battle of San Jacinto . . . — Map (db m123611) HM
Texas (Harris County), Bellaire — 10788 — Teas Nursery Company
Teas Nursery Company traces its history to 1843, when John C. Teas (1827-1907) began selling apples out of his back yard in Indiana. After moving the business to Missouri in 1868, Teas became a nationally prominent horticulturist. In 1908 his . . . — Map (db m125890) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 15812 — Anson Jones(January 20, 1798 - January 9, 1858)
Anson Jones was born in Great Barrington, Massachusetts. He earned his M.D. degree in Philadelphia in 1827; by October 1833, Jones had moved to Texas, establishing a successful medical practice in Brazoria. In 1835, he helped organize Holland Lodge . . . — Map (db m122935) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 15920 — Archibald Wynns(December 25, 1807 - August 21, 1859)
Archibald Wynns was born in Henry County, Tennessee to Thomas Henry and Winniford (Outlaw) Wynns. Archibald married Martha Elizabeth Edmunds in January 1836, and the couple soon set out for Texas. The Wynns constructed their first home on the corner . . . — Map (db m123010) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 18938 — Astrodome
Judge Roy Hofheinz envisioned the world's first air-conditioned fully enclosed multi-purpose stadium by 1960. Officially named the Harris County Domed Stadium, ground was broken for the home of Major League Baseball's Houston Colt .45s on January 3, . . . — Map (db m119849) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 12435 — Belle Sherman Kendall
The daughter of Texas Revolutionary War general Sidney Sherman and Catherine Isabell (Cox), Belle Sherman (1847-1919) was born in Harrisburg and married William E. Kendall in 1867. After making Houston her home in 1878, Belle S. Kendall became a . . . — Map (db m123014) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10618 — Caspar Braun(March 16, 1822 - October 14, 1880)
A native of Germany, Caspar Braun was educated in Switzerland. A physician and teacher as well as a Lutheran clergyman, he was sent to Pennsylvania as a missionary in 1847. He arrived in Houston in 1850. The following year he organized the first . . . — Map (db m123015) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 15715 — Charlotte Marie Baldwin Allen(July 14, 1805 - August 3, 1895)
Considered by many as the "Mother of Houston," Charlotte Marie Baldwin Allen was a leader in Houston during a time when women had few rights and fewer opportunities. She was born in Onondaga County, New York, and was the daughter of Elizabeth . . . — Map (db m122984) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10632 — Clayton House
Built in 1916-17, this Georgian Revival house was the home of William L. Clayton (1880-1966), founder of Anderson, Clayton, & Co., a cotton trading firm. A leader in public service as well as business, Clayton was a principal architect of the . . . — Map (db m125878) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10790 — Colonel B.F. TerryFebruary 18, 1821 - December 17, 1861
(front) Native of Kentucky. Came to Texas, 1831. Member Secession Convention. Commanded reinforcements of State troops sent to Rio Grande for the capture of Federal Army property at Fort Brown. Went to Virginia hoping to be in first battle . . . — Map (db m122936) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10673 — Darius Gregg(Nov. 8, 1804 - Mar. 28, 1870)
Born in Nicholasville, Jessamine County, Ky. Arrived in Texas, 1827. Received land grant in Austin's second colony, 1831. Fought (Oct.-Dec. 1835) in Siege of Bexar, including the Grass Fight (Nov. 26). Married Susan . . . — Map (db m123022) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 15726 — David Finney Stuart, M.D.(August 15, 1833 - September 8, 1909)
David Finney Stuart was born in Brooke County, Western Virginia, to William and Mary Cummins Stuart. Upon the death of his parents, Stuart moved to Texas to live with his sister Elizabeth, wife of the Rev. Dr. James Weston Miller. A brother-in-law, . . . — Map (db m122989) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10671 — Edwin Fairfax Gray
. . . — Map (db m123012) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 14925 — Ellis Benson
Ellis Benson (1813-1896), a veteran of the Texas Revolution and participant in the Battle of San Jacinto, was born in Vermont. Before immigrating to Texas, he fought in the Black Hawk War (1832) in Illinois. By 1835, Benson was in New Orleans, where . . . — Map (db m122987) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 11965 — Eugene Thomas Heiner(August 20, 1852 - April 26, 1901)
Born in New York City to German immigrants Nicholas and Margaretta Heiner, Eugene Thomas Heiner apprenticed himself to a Chicago architect when he was thirteen years old and later completed his training in Berlin, Germany. Heiner became a draftsman . . . — Map (db m122983) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 12912 — First Evangelical Church
On July 1, 1851, a group led by the Rev. Caspar Messon Braun (1822-1880) founded the Erste Deutsche Evangelische Lutherische Kirche, or First German Evangelical Lutheran Church. The State of Texas issued the church's charter in September of that . . . — Map (db m119857) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10661 — First Presbyterian Church of Houston
Organized March 31 (Easter Sunday), 1839, in Senate Chamber, Capitol of Republic of Texas, Main at Texas, by the Rev. Wm. Youel Allen, missionary from the United States, and eleven members. James Burke was elected ruling elder. Services of worship . . . — Map (db m125877) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 13710 — Gustav August Forsgard
Gustav (Gustaf, Gustave) August Samuelson (1832-1919) was one of 13 children born to Johannes Samuelson and Anna Petersdotter of Forserum, Sweden. At the age of 16, he emigrated from Sweden, arriving in Houston with a group of other Scandinavians on . . . — Map (db m122988) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 15714 — Houston Cemetery Company
The Houston Cemetery Company was one of several chartered and private associations promoted by Houston business leaders for the purpose of effecting civic, cultural and economic improvements following the Civil War. Houston Cemetery Company was . . . — Map (db m122956) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10695 — Houston Heights
Representatives of the American Loan and Trust Company of Omaha, Nebraska, came to Houston in 1890 to scout locations for land development. Under the leadership of O.M. Carter, D.D. Cooley, and others, company directors purchased 1,756 acres of land . . . — Map (db m122957) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10697 — Houston Light Guard Armory
Designed by noted Houston architect Alfred C. Finn, the Armory was constructed in 1925 to replace an 1892 building that had become obsolete. Finn detailed the building to suggest a late renaissance period neo-Gothic English masonry, represented by . . . — Map (db m119860) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10720 — Irvin Capers Lord
South Carolina native Irvin Capers Lord (1827-1914) came to Houston with his family in 1854. A machinist by trade, he was co-owner of Lord and Richardson's Eagle Iron Works. In 1858 he was elected alderman, representing the First Ward until 1863 . . . — Map (db m123013) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 18498 — James Robert Cade(June 15, 1845 - November 5, 1912)
Born in England in 1845, James Robert Cade immigrated to the United States in mid-1869, arriving in Harrisburg, Texas, in 1873 with his new bride, Annie Mortimer, also of English descent. James Robert previously trained in England as a railroad . . . — Map (db m123020) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 18533 — James S. and Alfred T. Lucas
James Sherwood Lucas (1836-1888) and his son Alfred T. Lucas (1863-1922) immigrated to the United States and became influential brick masons and contractors who helped develop the city of Houston. James Lucas was born in Nottingham, England, to . . . — Map (db m122992) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 16770 — Maurice Joseph Sullivan(June 21, 1884 - December 15, 1961)
Maurice J. Sullivan, son of Maurice and Margaret (Fitzsimons) Sullivan, was born in Grand Rapids, Michigan. He attended Detroit College (1901-1903) and studied structural and civil engineering at the University of Michigan (1904-1906). While . . . — Map (db m125881) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10773 — San Jacinto High School
South End Junior High School opened its doors in 1914 with 750 students in an impressive classical revival style structure built here in 1913. South End Junior High became a senior high school in 1923, and in 1926 its name was changed to San Jacinto . . . — Map (db m119852) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10635 — Site of Confederate Prison Compound
Before 1861, site of warehouse serving Buffalo Bayou shipping. At times during 1861-65, the building here housed prisoners of war. In Jan. 1863 it held 350 Federals captured by Houston-based Confederate army of Gen. John B. Magruder. The city also . . . — Map (db m119862) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10690 — Site of Old Houston Academy
Founded 1856. Lost most of its male students to Confederate army in Civil War. In 1864-1865 building was used as an army hospital. Was site in 1867 for the lying-in-state of body of General Albert Sidney Johnston, who had lived near Houston. (A . . . — Map (db m125722) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 14339 — Temple Beth Israel
Congregation Beth Israel is the oldest Jewish congregation in Texas. Early Jewish families that settled in the area formed the Hebrew Benevolent Society in 1844, under the leadership of Lewis Levy. By 1854, seventeen adults organized themselves into . . . — Map (db m119855) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 11951 — The Garden Club of Houston
In 1924, seven friends who lived near the newly constructed Museum of Fine Arts formed the Garden Club of Houston. They planned to study horticulture, experiment with new plants and further the beautification of the city of Houston. From this small . . . — Map (db m125880) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 11973 — The Rev. William M. Tryon(March 10, 1809 - November 16, 1847)
William Milton Tryon of New York City lost his father at the age of 9. At 17, young William was baptized. He and his mother moved to Georgia in 1832 where William was licensed to preach. He attended the Mercer Institute and was ordained as a . . . — Map (db m122994) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10797 — Trinity Episcopal Church
Established in 1893, Trinity Episcopal Church acquired this site in 1910. Construction of the sanctuary, designed by architect Ralph Adams Cram, began in 1917 and was completed in 1919. Features of the Gothic revival structure include a basilica . . . — Map (db m119850) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 18068 — Washington Cemetery
The Deutsche Gesellschaft von Houston, founded in 1875, established the German Society Cemetery in February 1887 by purchasing this property, then located outside the city limits, from the heirs of John Lawrence and Thomas Hart. Twelve-space . . . — Map (db m122929) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 15757 — William Gammell(October 18, 1812 - April 10, 1869)
William Gammell was born in Ayshire, Scotland. He and his parents immigrated to the United States, settling in Lowell, Massachusetts. Gammell arrived in Texas during the spring of 1836, where he enlisted in the Texian Army on April 5. He served in . . . — Map (db m122985) HM
Texas (Harris County), Humble — 10662 — First United Methodist Church of Humble
Founded in 1886, Humble was an oil boom town in 1907 when the Rev. J. T. Browning of Houston began conducting Methodist worship services for residents of the area. The services were first held in a building that had housed a bottle factory. In 1908, . . . — Map (db m122931) HM
Texas (Harris County), Humble — Joseph Dunman
Joseph Dunman Republic of Texas Early Humble Pioneer Born 1794 Louisiana Died 3 April 1859 Harris County Texas Born in Louisiana in 1794, Joseph Dunman served as a private in De clouet's Regiment in the Louisiana Militia during the . . . — Map (db m123003) HM
Texas (Harris County), Humble — Pangburn Building
This structure was erected in 1914 by William R. (Bill) Pangburn. He made his own cement bricks using San Jacinto River sand hauled by horse and wagon. The building has housed a drygood store, drug store, post office, cafe, dance hall and a variety . . . — Map (db m122999) HM
Texas (Harris County), Humble — Trees of Knowledge
These two trees were grown from acorns in slop jars, by Uncle Dick Hatcher. He planted them not long after the courthouse was built in 1928. They received their name from Judge Wise's habit of using the benches beneath the trees to sit on while . . . — Map (db m123001) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 8 — Advance Under Gen'l Rusk
No 8 Advance under Gen'l Rusk April 21, 1836 — Map (db m125965) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 7 — Burleson's Advance
No 7 Burleson's Advance Infantry April 21, 1836 — Map (db m125951) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 2 — Burleson's Camp
No 2 Burleson's Camp — Map (db m125964) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 12 — Cavalry Skirmish
No 12 Cavalry Skirmish under Sherman day before battle — Map (db m125998) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 10805 — Freeman Wilkinson
A member of Captain Thomas H. McIntire's company at San Jacinto. Died at Lynchburg in 1839 and was buried near his comrades who fell in battle. — Map (db m125926) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 10 — Hockley's Advance
No 10 Hockley's Advance Artillery April 21, 1836 — Map (db m125952) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 19 — Houston Wounded
No 19 Houston wounded and horse killed under him during battle — Map (db m125956) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 4 — Lamar's Camp
No 4 Lamar's Camp — Map (db m125963) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 20043 — Lynch's FerryOne Mile Northeast to Site of
A pioneer ferry of Texas under Mexico and the Republic. Established at the confluence of Buffalo Bayou and the San Jacinto River, 1822, by Nathaniel Lynch, one of Stephen F. Austin's "Old Three Hundred" colonists. Usual charges at ferries like this . . . — Map (db m125910) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 13 — Mexican Breastworks
No 13 Mexican Breastworks Cavalry Engagement Under Lamar April 21, 1836 — Map (db m125955) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 15 — Mexican Breastworks
No 15 Mexican Breastworks — Map (db m125999) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 14 — Mexican Cannon
No 14 Mexican Cannon — Map (db m126000) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 10770 — Mexican Cavalry, Battle of San Jacinto
The Mexican Cavalry was on the left wing, Infantry and Artillery in the center behind a fortification of boxes and baggage, while the extreme right was far extended. — Map (db m125905) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 11 — Mexican Position
No 11 Mexican Position Apr 20, 1836 — Map (db m125953) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — Mexican Surrender
Many of the Mexican soldiers who escaped the initial bloodshed were taken prisoner. After the Texans won the battle, they continued chasing down and killing Mexican soldiers. Few were allowed to surrender in the immediate aftermath. However, . . . — Map (db m125954) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 9 — Millard's Advance
No 9 Millard's Advance Infantry April 21, 1836 — Map (db m125948) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 3 — Millard's Camp
No 3 Millard's Camp — Map (db m125962) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 10651 — Peter Jefferson Duncan
Participated in the capture of San Antonio in 1835 and served in the army in 1836 Born in New York in 1799 Died in Harris County, Texas in 1870 — Map (db m126009) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 16 — Santa Anna's Camp
No 16 Santa Anna's Camp — Map (db m126001) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 6 — Sherman's Advance
No 6 Sherman's Advance Left Wing Infantry April 21, 1836 — Map (db m125997) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 5 — Sherman's Camp
No 5 Sherman's Camp — Map (db m125967) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 20 — Site of Surrender of Santa Anna
Plaque on Front of Marker: This heritage live oak, planted as a living memorial, marks the site of surrender of Mexican President Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna to Sam Houston, Commander-in-Chief of the Army of Texas. Dedicated to the heroes of . . . — Map (db m126006) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 10768 — The Texas Army Attacked in Four Divisions
The Texas Army attacked in four divisions; the Cavalry on the right, commanded by Mirabeau B. Lamar; next, the Infantry under Lieutenant Colonel Henry Millard; the “Twin Sisters” cannon under Colonel Edward Burleson; the 2nd Regiment, . . . — Map (db m125883) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 1 — Twin Sisters
Marker Front: No 1 Site Twin Sisters April 20, 1836 Cannon Presented by Citizens of Cincinnati to Republic of Texas Supplemental Plaque: In grateful appreciation of the efforts of the citizens of Cincinnati, Ohio, whose . . . — Map (db m125950) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 10769 — Within A Few Minutes, Battle of San Jacinto Site
Within a few minutes the Battle of San Jacinto was over. According to General Houston's report 630 Mexicans lay dead on the field, 208 were wounded and 730 were taken prisoners. Money, arms and equipment were captured. The Texans had 9 killed and 30 . . . — Map (db m125906) HM
Texas (Harris County), Pasadena — 10643 — Crown Hill Cemetery
Permanent settlement of this area began about 1891. Lot sales in the new town of Pasadena began in 1893, and the town was officially platted three years later. The first recorded burials in this vicinity occurred about 1894, although the exact . . . — Map (db m125894) HM
Texas (Harris County), West University Place — 15654 — City of West University Place
Tennessee politician Ben W. Hooper led investors in forming the West End Realty Co. in 1910. They chose land near Rice Institute, which opened in 1912, and created West University Place, connected to Houston by streetcar. Homesites sold primarily to . . . — Map (db m125891) HM
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 7037 — Crockett
Founded 1837. Named for David Crockett, who had visited here on way to the Alamo, 1836.

Old fortified log courthouse was often the refuge for settlers during Indian raids.

During Civil War had camp of instruction. Telegraph and stagecoach . . . — Map (db m120963) HM

Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 11096 — Early Bank Building
A typical late 19th Century Texas commercial building, with cast iron front and pressed tin ornamentation. Erected for bank developed in mercantile store of W.E. Mayes (1837-1915). To aid his customers, Mayes in 1880s took care of cash and currency, . . . — Map (db m121248) HM
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 11130 — First National Bank of Crockett
Founded about 1881 as sideline in mercantile store of W.E. Mayes (1837-1915), who aided customers by keeping cash and currency in his safe, issuing loans and credits. In 1892 H.F. Moore (1854-1926) came here from . . . — Map (db m121247) HM
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 11132 — Five Courthouses of Houston County
On June 12, 1837, President Sam Houston authorized the formation of Houston County, the first newly created county in the Republic of Texas. Andrew W. Gossett (1812-1890) donated land, which included this square, for the townsite. He and his father, . . . — Map (db m121246) HM
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 12422 — Houston County Courthouse
In early 1938, the Houston County commissioners court, with County Judge B. F. Bradley presiding, began making plans for construction of the county's fifth courthouse. Built in 1939 with funds from the Federal Public Works Administration, the . . . — Map (db m121245) HM
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 11227 — Miller-Spinks-Mayes Property
This corner of the town square was developed as a law office after state legislator and Houston County Judge S.A. Miller (1805-1893) purchased it in 1840. In 1891, Rudd Crawford Spinks (1856-1938) bought the site and built a two-story brick building . . . — Map (db m120965) HM
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 7039 — Original Site of the Joseph R. Rice Log Cabin
Joseph Redmond Rice (1805-1866) and his wife, Willie Masters Rice (1809-1881), natives of Tennessee and Kentucky, built a one-room log cabin on this site in 1828. Rice's brothers and his father-in-law, Jacob Masters, probably helped with the . . . — Map (db m121250) HM
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 11089 — Site of the Crockett Hotel
James H. Collard, a surveyor, opened a general store on this site in 1837. Four years later he sold the business to Thomas Collins (1800-1869). Members of the Collins family ran the store until 1890 when William Berry (b.1856) constructed the . . . — Map (db m120964) HM
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 8809 — Stage Coach Inn
Built as a home by Joseph D. Rice, Sr., who came to Texas in 1828. In 1838 it was designated as a stopping place for the stage coach from Nacogdoches to Crockett. — Map (db m121249) HM
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 11238 — W.V. McConnell Building
Crockett native William Van McConnell (1855-1919) built this Victorian commercial structure soon after he purchased the site in 1891 from Maj. J.C. Wooters, a former mayor of the city. Known for his wit and his Irish stories, McConnell opened a . . . — Map (db m120966) HM
Texas (Houston County), Weches — 7018 — Community of Weches
Located near site of 17th-century Spanish missionary activity, this farming community had its beginnings with the settlement of the McLeans, Conners, Patton, and Gregg families, who had all arrived in the area by 1840. Originally known as Neches for . . . — Map (db m121254) HM
Texas (Houston County), Weches — 10962 — Glover School
Established in 1881, the Glover School served residents of the rural Glover Community. Under the direction of teacher James Breeze, a one-room schoolhouse was built on A.E. Sloan's land, now the site of the Old Glover Cemetery. A consolidated school . . . — Map (db m121252) HM
Texas (Houston County), Weches — 14922 — Mission San Francisco de los Tejas
Was founded near this marker May 24, 1690, at the Nabedache (Tejas) Indian Village Erected, A. D. 1934, by DeZavala Chapter, Texas Historical and Landmarks Association. Located by: Dr. Albert Woldert, Tyler, Texas. Miss . . . — Map (db m121405) HM
Texas (Houston County), Weches — 7013 — Mission San Francisco de Los Tejas
First Spanish Mission in East Texas. Established in 1690 by Franciscan friars to convert the Tejas Indians. "Tejas", a Spanish rendition of the Indian word for "friend", was in time adopted as the state name. The founding party was led by Capt. . . . — Map (db m121406) HM
Texas (Houston County), Weches — 7012 — Mission Santissimo Nombre de Maria
Was founded in this vicinity Summer 1690 "on the banks of the Arcangel San Miguel" (Neches) River. Erected A.D. 1934 by De Zavala Chapter, Texas Historical and Landmarks Association. Located by: Dr. Albert Woldert, Tyler, Texas; Miss Adina De . . . — Map (db m121255) HM
Texas (Houston County), Weches — 12086 — Pine Springs Campground
A favorite campsite of Tejas Indians in the years before European settlers arrived, this location was used in turn by explorers, Spanish missionaries, traders and armies. Travelers were attracted by abundant game, including deer and wild turkey, and . . . — Map (db m121251) HM
Texas (Houston County), Weches — 7017 — The Joseph R. Rice Log Cabin
Joseph Redmond Rice (1805-1866) cut timber; then his young wife, Willie Masters Rice (1809-1881), snaked the logs to a homesite 16 miles southwest of here. The cabin they built was a noted way-station on the San Antonio Road. They brought up nine . . . — Map (db m121404) HM
Texas (Houston County), Weches — 7021 — Weches CCC Camp
Weches Camp P-58-T was established by the Federal Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) on June 19, 1933. Manned by Company 888, the Weches camp was the first CCC camp established in Houston County. It contained barracks, a mess hall, recreation area, . . . — Map (db m121253) HM
Texas (Irion County), Barnhart — 262 — Barnhart
Named for William F. Barnhart, an agent of the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railroad, this community was founded in 1910. During the 1920s and 1930s it was a major freighting center and considered by many the largest inland livestock shipping . . . — Map (db m126169) HM
Texas (Irion County), Mertzon — 1151 — Dove Creek Battle/Texas Civil War Indian Trouble
(Front) Dove Creek Battle On January 8, 1865 eight miles east of here Confederate troops and Texas militiamen engaged a large party of Kickapoo Indians. The Indians, formerly hostile to the South, had entered Texas without authority . . . — Map (db m126176) HM
Texas (Irion County), Mertzon — 2612 — Irion County
Created March 7, 1889 Organized April 16, 1889 Named in honor of Robert Anderson Irion 1806-1860 Came to Texas in 1833 and located at Nacogdoches Member of the first Texas Congress Secretary of State in the Cabinet of . . . — Map (db m126172) HM
Texas (Irion County), Sherwood — 4409 — Sherwood Courthouse(Built 1900-1901)
First permanent courthouse for Irion County, locally organized 1889. Replaced temporary housing in several buildings. Site was gift of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Ripley. Contractors: Martin and Moody. Stone was quarried nearby. Courthouse was used for . . . — Map (db m126175) HM
Texas (Jackson County), Edna — 1033 — Confederates of Jackson County
From 1860 population of 2,612 came more than 100 Civil War soldiers, one an infantryman on a crutch: M.K. Simons, a Mexican War amputee, Brigade Quartermaster, 2nd Texas Infantry, C.S.A. Officers included Capt. C.L. Owen, veteran of the Texas . . . — Map (db m120606) HM
Texas (Jackson County), Edna — 1346 — Early Jackson County
Organized, 1837; named for 7th President of U. S., Andrew Jackson. Early hunting grounds of the cannibalistic Karankawa Indians, this region was crossed in 1528 by shipwrecked Spaniard Cabeza de Vaca. French explorer La Salle founded the first . . . — Map (db m120603) HM
Texas (Jackson County), Edna — 2701 — Jackson County
Home of the Karankawa Indians granted in part to Stephen F. Austin and to Martin de Leon. Settled 1824-1835 by colonists largely from Alabama, Louisiana, Kentucky, Tennessee and, west of the Lavaca, Mexico. Organized as a municipality December 5, . . . — Map (db m120609) HM
Texas (Jackson County), Edna — 2703 — Jackson County, C.S.A.
In 1861, voted for secession 147 to 77. With its beef and cotton, helped supply South. Furnished salt from beds near Cox's Creek; hides and tallow from a plant between Port Lavaca and Texana; lead from Navidad mine (now a "lost mine"). Homefolk . . . — Map (db m120605) HM
Texas (Jackson County), Edna — 3178 — Macaroni Station
Forerunner of town of Edna; a camp and commissary during the building of the New York, Texas & Mexican railway, 1880-1882. Count Joseph Telfener, one of the railway investors, brought laborers from his native Italy; station was nicknamed for . . . — Map (db m124472) HM
Texas (Jackson County), Edna — 3406 — Mission Nuestra Señora del Espiritu Santo de Zuñiga
Situated in the present county of Jackson was the mission of Nuestra Señora del Espiritu Santo de Zuñiga. Established by Joseph de Azlor, Marquis of Aguayo, and Father Fray Agustin Patron, O.F.M. in 1722 for the civilizing and Christianizing of the . . . — Map (db m120608) HM
Texas (Kimble County), Junction — 265 — Brambletye
Brambletye was built between 1895 and 1900 by English immigrant William Hall (b. 1833), who came to Texas in 1888. After Hall's death in 1900, the stone house and surrounding ranchland were owned by several early ranch families. Prominently sited on . . . — Map (db m126197) HM
Texas (Leon County), Centerville — 9624 — Fort Boggy
Pioneers who settled in this area about 1840 included members of the Middleton, Byrns, Staley, Erwin, Jones, Capp, Bloodworth, Philpott, Easton, Howell, and Hinton families. Nearby Kichai and Kickapoo Indian camps afforded these early settlers . . . — Map (db m119705) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9669 — Liberty County
A trail across this region traveled and described by Alonso de Leon in 1690 became the "La Bahía" or "Lower Road" in the 18th century. First settlement, Atascocita, established in 1757. The town established May 5, 1831 as the "Villa de la Santísima . . . — Map (db m121260) HM
Texas (Matagorda County), Bay City — 337 — Bay City Library
Organized in 1912, the Bay City Public Library was first housed in the J. P. Keller Insurance Company office. The non-profit Bay City Library Association, also formed in 1912, spearheaded community fund raising efforts to operate the library. Land . . . — Map (db m120755) HM
Texas (Matagorda County), Bay City — 15467 — Matagorda County Confederate Memorial
1861-1865 To the memory of our Confederate Soldiers. "Lest We Forget." — Map (db m120757) WM
Texas (Matagorda County), Bay City — 3254 — Matagorda, C.S.A.
Near the mouth of the Colorado River, 20 miles to the south, is the town of Matagorda, the second most important port of entry in early Texas. In the Civil War, center for rich farmlands and one of 8 Texas ports that blockade runners used for . . . — Map (db m120750) HM
Texas (Matagorda County), Bay City — 3689 — Old Bay City Bank
Established 1898, four years after founding of Bay City. Private bank. Owners: Henry Rugeley, Frank Hawkins. This building erected 1903, site of many investment transactions important to Texas Gulf Coast development. Recorded Texas . . . — Map (db m120754) HM
Texas (Matagorda County), Clemville — 12554 — Clemville
Originally part of land granted to early colonist Henry Parker, this was a rural farming and ranching area until 1908 when F.J. Hardy discovered oil and formed the Hardy Oil Company. By 1911, F.J. Clemenger had settled in the community, then known . . . — Map (db m120739) HM
Texas (Nueces County), Corpus Christi — 1068 — Corpus Christi1861-1865
Near here on August 16 and 18, 1862, three Confederate artillery pieces held off four attacking Federal ships during the Civil War bombardment of Corpus Christi. The blockading squadron of Lieutenant J.W. Kittredge, U.S.N., had harassed the . . . — Map (db m122342) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — Fort Worth 1849-1853
On June 6, 1849, Major Ripley Arnold and Company F of the Second Dragoons established a military post on this site. Arnold named the post Fort Worth to honor Major General William Jenkins Worth, Commander of the Department of Texas. Worth died of . . . — Map (db m121955) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 5195 — Tarrant County Courthouse
Designed by firm of Gunn & Curtis and built by the Probst Construction Company of Chicago, 1893-1895. This red Texas granite building, in Renaissance Revival style, closely resembles the Texas State Capitol with the exception of the clock tower. . . . — Map (db m121876) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — Texas Christian University
Texas Christian University and Fort Worth's partnership dates to 1910 although the connection began in 1869 when Ida Addison, and Randolph Clark established TCU's forerunner academy in the area known as Hell's Half Acre. The rowdiness of the area . . . — Map (db m121907) HM
Texas (Waller County), Hempstead — 8109 — Former Waller County Post Offices
Before the age of modern communication, the postal system was a vital link between isolated rural settlements. Early Waller County post offices were often located in a residence or general store near the local church, gristmill, cotton gin, or . . . — Map (db m125606) HM
Texas (Waller County), Hempstead — 9388 — Hempstead, C.S.A.
Front: Major Civil War center in Texas with railroad, troop training, manufacturing, and supply activity. Training camps Groce and Hebert kept troops in readiness to move by rail to Houston and thence to the coast of Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas . . . — Map (db m125608) HM
Texas (Waller County), Hempstead — 8118 — Waller County
Created from Austin and Grimes counties, April 28, and organized Aug. 16, 1873. Named for Edwin Waller (1800-1861), a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, 1836; Postmaster General, Texas Republic; First mayor of Austin. Site of rich . . . — Map (db m125605) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Danevang — 172 — Ansgar Evangelical Lutheran Church and Cemetery
The Danish Folk Society obtained a land option from the Texas Land and Cattle Company and helped 93 Danish families from the midwest establish the Danevang Cooperative Settlement here in the early 1890s. The settlers, strong adherents of the . . . — Map (db m120615) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Danevang — 1163 — Danevang("Danish Meadow")
The first successful Danish community in Texas. Established in 1894 on a portion of 25,000 acres secured through option by Danish Folk Society from Texas Land and Cattle Company. Most immigrants came first to the northern United States, where . . . — Map (db m120613) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Danevang — 12805 — Danevang Community Hall(Danevang Forsamlingshus)
The Danish community of Danevang (Danish Field) was founded in 1894, at the height of Danish emigration to the United States. The Dansk Folkesamfund (Danish Folk Society), organized in the Midwest in 1887 to preserve Danish culture, language . . . — Map (db m120614) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Danevang — Danevang Lutheran Church"A Community Church for Those Near and Far."
The church building before you was erected at Camp Hulen at Palacios, Texas at the beginning of the nineteen-forties when the nation was preparing for war. As part of a huge construction effort, which transformed a tent camp into an anti-aircraft . . . — Map (db m120611) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Danevang — Danevang Pioneer Monument
Front: Danevang 1894 - 1976 This monument was erected in honor of all the pioneers who settled Danevang. They met adversity and hardship with Christian fellowship, cooperation and hard work. They achieved their goal of a Danish community . . . — Map (db m122158) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Hungerford — 2662 — J. D. Hudgins Ranch
Joel Hudgins (1800-1873) of North Carolina came to the Republic of Texas in 1839 and settled in the Hungerford area. He married Rachel Ann Northington McKenzie (d. 1903) in 1847. He was elected county commissioner in 1854. After Joel's death, . . . — Map (db m124418) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Hungerford — 3588 — New York, Texas & Mexican Railroad and The Community of Hungerford
Attracted by the State of Texas' offer of free land to railroad developers, a charter for the New York, Texas & Mexican Railroad was secured in 1880. Its major investor, John W. Mackay, made his fortune in the Nevada silver mines. His . . . — Map (db m125417) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Hungerford — 4873 — Site of Post West Bernard Station(3.5 Mi. NW)
In the summer of 1837 Post West Bernard Station was established as an ordnance depot of the army of The Republic of Texas. Its location on the West Bernard River was strategic in protecting Houston, then capital of Texas, from possible invasion by . . . — Map (db m124425) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Hungerford — 4875 — Site of Quinan Community(¼ Mi. W)
The village of Quinan was established about 1872 on the Wharton-Richmond road. It was named for Judge George E. Quinan (1819-1893), who lived south of here on Peach Creek. A native of Ireland, Quinan served in the Texas Senate and on the state Court . . . — Map (db m124422) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Wharton — 894 — City of Wharton
The town of Wharton was founded as the seat of Wharton County in April 1846. Land for a courthouse, named Monterey Square, was given from the land grant of William Kincheloe, one of Stephen F. Austin's "Old Three Hundred" colonists who settled in . . . — Map (db m120594) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Wharton — 2880 — Judge George E. Quinan(1819-1893)
A native of Dublin, Ireland, George E. Quinan came to Texas in the 1830s. By the mid-1840s he had moved to Wharton and set up a law office near this site. He was elected district attorney in 1845. Quinan and his wife Mary Anne established a home on . . . — Map (db m120600) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Wharton — 4631 — Security Bank and Trust Company
The Security Bank and Trust Company traces its history to the Wharton National Bank. The second banking institution to open in the city, the Wharton National Bank was organized in 1902, and closed in 1915. Following reorganization, the bank reopened . . . — Map (db m120599) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Wharton — 12293 — Site of Plaza Hotel and Plaza Theater
Built on Wharton's Courthouse Square, the Plaza Hotel began circa 1904 as a two-story brick structure with a large dining room on the first floor and 20 rooms to let. Owned and operated by R. B. Huston and his wife Lula Merriwether Huston, the Plaza . . . — Map (db m120601) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Wharton — 4895 — Site of the Home of Robert McAlpin Williamson
Born in Georgia in 1806 Editor "The Texas Gazette" and "The Mexican Citizen," pioneer Texas newspapers Active in the Revolution Member of the Supreme Court of the Republic, 1836-1839 Member of Texas Legislature 1846-1849 Died . . . — Map (db m120597) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Wharton — 5775 — Wharton County
Wharton County Created April 3, 1846 From Matagorda, Jackson and Colorado Counties, Organized same year Named for William H. Wharton 1806-1839 Texas minister to the United States 1836-1837, and his brother John A. Wharton . . . — Map (db m120596) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Wharton — Wharton County Confederate Memorial
Front: "Lest We Forget" 1861-1865 Dedicated to the Confederate veterans of Wharton County by the J.E.B. Stuart Chapter Daughters of Confederacy Commanders of Buchel Camp Col. I.N. Dennis Capt. G.C. Duncan R.M. Brown . . . — Map (db m122254) WM
Washington (Pacific County), Chinook — Fort Columbia
Here was the home of the Chinook Indians and their great chief, Comcomly. Capt. Robert Gray dropped anchor near here after his discovery of the Columbia River in 1792. In the days of the fur trade this area was witness to many stirring . . . — Map (db m125769) HM

903 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 were listed. Previous 200 Next 503
Paid Advertisement