Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

913 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 are listed. Previous 200 Next 513
 
Leon County Marker image, Touch for more information
By Brian Anderson, July 1, 2018
Leon County Marker
Idaho (Blaine County), Carey — 305 — Goodale's Cutoff
On U.S. 20/26, on the right when traveling west.
An old emigrant road headed west across Camas Prairie and then descended to the valley below on its way to rejoin the Oregon Trail 28 miles west of here. This route, discovered by Donald Mackenzie's fur trade party in 1820, came into use for . . . — Map (db m125602) HM
New Mexico (Chaves County), Roswell — 192 — RoswellPopulation 50,000 - Elevation 3,612
On SE Main Street (U.S. 285) 0.4 miles north of East Brasher Road, on the right when traveling north.
Roswell was a watering place for the Pecos Valley cattle drives of the 1870s and 1880s. It was incorporated in 1891 and is seat of Chaves County, named for Col. J. Francisco Chaves, Civil War Soldier and delegate to the U.S. Congress from the . . . — Map (db m119935) HM
New Mexico (Doña Ana County), Mesilla — 693 — La Mesilla
On Calle de Principal at Calle de Parian, on the right when traveling north on Calle de Principal.
The 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo ended the Mexican-American War, establishing Mesilla as a Mexican holding. Cura Ramon Ortiz settled families from El Paso del Norte and pre-territorial New Mexico here. Disputes over the border just north of town . . . — Map (db m119926) HM
New Mexico (Eddy County), Artesia — 394 — ArtesiaPopulation 10,385 – Elevation 3,350
On Roswell Highway (U.S. 285), on the right when traveling south.
Artesia, named for the area's many artesian wells, lies on the route of the Pecos Valley cattle trails used by Charles Goodnight, Oliver Loving, and John S. Chisum. The town, established in 1903, is located in what was once part of Chisum's vast . . . — Map (db m119811) HM
New Mexico (Lincoln County), Lincoln — 421 — Lincoln
On Billy the Kid Trail (U.S. 380 at milepost 98.4), on the right when traveling east.
This is a two-sided marker Side A: Spanish-speaking settlers established a town here in the 1850s, after the U.S. Army began to control the Mescalero Apaches. First known as Las Placitas del Río Bonito, the name of the community . . . — Map (db m119774) HM
New Mexico (San Miguel County), Pecos — 203 — Pecos National Historical Park
On State Highway 63 1.1 miles south of State Highway 50, on the right when traveling south.
Front: Humans have inhabited the Pecos Valley for at least 12,000 years. The fifteenth century Towa-speaking trading pueblo, Cicuyé, had over 2,000 inhabitants. During the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, Franciscan churches were built . . . — Map (db m119913) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 712 — Inez Bushner Gill (1918–1982) and Maralyn Budke (1936–2010)
On Don Gaspar Avenue 0.1 miles north of South Capitol Place, on the left when traveling south.
Front: Inez Bushner Gill impressed governors, legislators and journalists with her fiscal expertise. Among the original staff of the Legislative Council Service when it was founded in 1951, she served as fiscal analyst and principal staff for . . . — Map (db m119928) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 574 — Mother Magdalen and the Sisters of Loretto (1852-1968)
On East Alameda Street at Old Santa Fe Trail, on the left when traveling west on East Alameda Street.
(side one) Four Sisters of Loretto, Mother Magdalen Hayden and Sisters Roberta Brown, Rosana Dant and Catherine Mahoney, arrived in Santa Fe from Kentucky on September 26, 1852. In January 1853 they established Our Lady of Light Academy, . . . — Map (db m119764) HM
New Mexico (Santa Fe County), Santa Fe — 739 — Route 66
On Old Las Vegas Highway (State Highway 300) 0.3 miles north of U.S. 285, on the right when traveling south.
You are traveling an early alignment of U.S. 66, perhaps the most well-known road to follow this historic transportation corridor. A Spanish mission trail to Pecos Pueblo, the Santa Fe Trail and the National Old Trails Road all predate the Mother . . . — Map (db m119914) HM
New Mexico (Torrance County), Mountainair — 76 — Abó RuinsSalinas National Monument — 3/4 Mile North —
On U.S. 60 at New Mexico Highway 513, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 60.
Located adjacent to the major east-west trade route through Abó Pass, the Tompiro Pueblo of Abó (ca. 1300s-1670s) was one of the Southwest’s largest Pueblo Indian villages. Extensive Indian house complexes are dominated by the unique buttressed . . . — Map (db m119761) HM
New Mexico (Torrance County), Mountainair — 684 — Gran Quivíra RuinsSalinas National Monument — 1 Mile South —
On Quivira Flats Road (State Highway 55 at milepost 37), on the left when traveling west.
The Tompiro Indian “Pueblo de las Humanas" (ca. 1300-1670s) had 1,500 to 2,000 inhabitants and was a trading center with Plains Indians. The village evolved for centuries on the fringe of the Mogollon and Anasazi cultures. There are two large . . . — Map (db m119759) HM
New Mexico (Torrance County), Mountainair — 79 — Quarai RuinsSalinas National Monument — 1 Mile West —
On Manzano Quarai Road (State Highway 55 at milepost 70) at County Road B076, on the left when traveling north on Manzano Quarai Road.
On the edge of the Plains stands the abandoned Tiwa Pueblo Indian village of Quarai (ca. 1200–1670s), the southernmost of the Tiwa villages, located along the eastern flanks of the Manzano Mountains. The Spanish Franciscan mission church of La . . . — Map (db m119760) HM
Oklahoma (Cleveland County), Norman — Cleveland County Courthouse
On East Eufaula Street at South Peters Avenue, on the left when traveling east on East Eufaula Street.
Norman was designated as the seat of Cleveland County shortly after the Land Run of 1889. The first permanent courthouse was located in the Original Townsite of Norman at the corner of Gray Street and Ponca Avenue. This structure was destroyed by . . . — Map (db m121720) HM
Oklahoma (Cleveland County), Norman — The Beginning of Cleveland County
On East Comanche Street at South Peters Avanue, on the right when traveling east on East Comanche Street.
Although the Norman townsite was settled during the Land Run on April 22, 1889, Cleveland County did not exist for another year, and almost wasn't named Cleveland County. In fact, if not for the efforts of Norman's early citizens and civic leaders, . . . — Map (db m121630) HM
Oklahoma (Garvin County), Pauls Valley — Garvin County War Memorial
On West Grant Avenue (State Highway 19) at North Willow Street, on the right when traveling west on West Grant Avenue.
Freedom Is Not Free In honor of all Garvin Countians who sacrificed their lives while serving our country in time of war, for it is only through the efforts of those who served, and those who died, that America enjoys the freedom and prosperity . . . — Map (db m121754) WM
Oklahoma (Love County), Marietta — Love County
On West Main Street (State Highway 32), on the right when traveling east.
Love County has a rich historical significance to Oklahoma and the nation. Carved from the Louisiana Purchase and acquired from the Choctaw Nation by the Chickasaw Nation, the county was named for the Loves, a prominent Chickasaw family. Early . . . — Map (db m121634) HM
Oklahoma (Love County), Marietta — Love County Courthouse
On West Main Street (State Highway 32), on the right when traveling east.
Oklahoma's first county courthouse built after Statehood. The corner-stone of Nelson Georgia marble was laid during Masonic ceremonies on April 29, 1910. The building was dedicated on November 24, with Senator J. Clint Graham presiding. The building . . . — Map (db m121635) HM
Oklahoma (McClain County), Purcell — PurcellThe Birthplace of Oklahoma
On North 2nd Avenue at West Washington Street (State Highway 39), on the right when traveling south on North 2nd Avenue.
The inter-territory statehood convention, the first to advocate single statehood for Oklahoma and Indian Territories, met on September 30, 1893 in Purcell's Methodist Episcopal Church, south at approximately 319 W. Washington. Delegates from both . . . — Map (db m121632) HM
Oklahoma (Murray County), Sulphur — Sulphur
On West Broadway Avenue (State Highway 7) west of West 5th Street, on the right when traveling east.
Springs in this area were first used by wildlife, Indians, and cattlemen. In 1902, Sulphur Springs Reservation was founded, renamed Platt Nat'l Park in 1906, and became part of Chickasaw Nat'l Rec. Area in 1976. The town was moved twice to its . . . — Map (db m121633) HM
Texas (Austin County), Bellville — 243 — Austin County
On West Main Street (State Highway 36) at Nelsonville Road (State Highway 159), in the median on West Main Street.
A part of the grant to Stephen F. Austin in 1821 Created a municipality under the Mexican government in 1828 Became a county of the Republic of Texas, March 17, 1836 Named in honor of Stephen Fuller Austin, 1793-1836 Pioneer . . . — Map (db m125601) HM
Texas (Austin County), Bellville — 244 — Austin County Jail
On South Bell Street at West Luhn Street, on the right when traveling south on South Bell Street.
Calling their old jail "unsafe, unfit, and inadequate," the Austin County Court contracted in 1896 with Pauly Jail Building Co. of St. Louis to erect this structure at cost of $19,970. Romanesque Revival style, with crenelated parapets, bartizans, . . . — Map (db m125600) HM
Texas (Austin County), Bellville — 11699 — Bellville
On South Holland Street at West Luhn Street, on the right when traveling south on South Holland Street.
Brothers Thomas and James Bell came to this area from Florida in 1822 with Stephen F. Austin's colony and acquired about 2,000 acres of land in 1837. Thomas Bell offered a portion of his land at this site for a new townsite to replace San Felipe as . . . — Map (db m125599) HM
Texas (Austin County), Bellville — 18106 — First National Bank of Bellville
On East Main Street (State Highway 36/159) at North Bell Street, on the right when traveling north on East Main Street.
The First National Bank of Bellville, chartered on February 25, 1890, is the oldest bank in Austin County, and one of four national banks in Texas still in existence that were chartered in 1890. The first officers were E. J. Marshall, President; C. . . . — Map (db m125598) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), Angleton — 9533 — Old Brazoria County Courthouse
Near East Cedar Street at North Velasco Street (Business State Highway 288).
Angleton's first permanent courthouse was built in 1897, a year after the city was chosen Brazoria County seat. Constructed from plans originally drawn for the Matagorda County courthouse, the structure was enlarged and extensively remodeled in . . . — Map (db m120661) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), Angleton — 13337 — Robert J. Calder
On North Velasco Street (Business State Highway 288) at West Live Oak Street, on the right when traveling north on North Velasco Street.
Robert James Calder was born in 1810 to James H. and Jane E. (Caldwell) Calder in Baltimore, Maryland. His father died when he was a child, and Robert and his mother moved to Kentucky, where he was raised in part by his mother's family. They moved . . . — Map (db m120660) HM
Texas (Brazoria County), Old Ocean — 9600 — Sweeny Plantation
On Loop State Highway 35 at County Road 374, on the right when traveling east on State Highway 35.
John Sweeny, Jr., after returning from the Texas Revolution, was given this plantation by his father, an extensive landholder. In 1837 slaves built the house, using only brick, nails and wood made on his land. Molasses, cotton, sugar were produced. . . . — Map (db m120659) HM
Texas (Brazos County), Bryan — 15825 — The CW&BV and I&GN Railroads in Bryan
On South Main Street at West 28th Street, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street.
Bryan was platted on land granted to the Houston & Texas Central Railroad in 1859. In 1900, a second railroad, the Calvert, Waco & Brazos Valley (CW & BV) was built through Bryan by George Gould. The CW & BV built a depot here in 1900; besides train . . . — Map (db m119629) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Academic Building
Near Houston Street.
The Academic Building (1914) was designed by campus architect Frederick E. Giesecke, '86 and Samuel E. Gideon, after Old Main was destroyed by fire in 1912. The beaux-arts classical design is a four-storied reinforced concrete structure faced with . . . — Map (db m120269) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Chemistry Building
Near Ross Street.
The Chemistry Building (1929) was designed by S. C. P. Vosper, using classical design proportions and details. It was extended to the east in 1981 and 1988. The ornamentation uses a variety of color schemes in tile patterns inspired from the art of . . . — Map (db m120273) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 8674 — College Station Railroad Depots
On Lamar Street, on the right when traveling east.
In 1871 Texas Governor Edmund Davis appointed three Commissioners to select a site for the newly established Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (Texas A&M College). The Commissioners chose this location in large part because of the . . . — Map (db m119630) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 13065 — Early Play-By-Play Radio Broadcast of a College Football Game
On Houston Street, on the left when traveling north.
In 1920, David J. Finn and other Texas A&M electrical engineering students attempted to broadcast the football game at Oklahoma A&M via ham radio. When the plan failed they used a telephone backup, relaying game updates to fans gathered in the Texas . . . — Map (db m119624) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 8675 — Early Texas A&M Campus Housing
On Throckmorton Street, on the right when traveling south.
When Texas A&M University opened in 1876, it was four miles from Bryan, the nearest town, and the need for campus housing for faculty and staff arose. The first of the campus houses, five brick homes along the east side of Throckmorton Street, were . . . — Map (db m119625) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Francis Hall
Near Ross Street.
Rolland Adelsperger, College Architect and Professor of Architecture and Architectural Engineering designed Francis Hall in a highly distinctive romanesque style in 1913 for the School of Veterinary Medicine. The proposed design exceeded the . . . — Map (db m120274) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — History Building
The History Building was erected in 1922 as the Agriculture Building and housed the Dean of Agriculture for about ten years. Architect E. B. La Roche used a classical revival style with a strong base, rusticated brick main floor, and two-story . . . — Map (db m120275) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — K. K. Legett Hall Centennial
Near Ross Street.
Built in 1911, Legett Hall is the oldest residence hall on campus and one of two remaining along Military Walk. Named for Judge Kirvin Kade Legett (1857-1926) of Abilene, President of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas Board of . . . — Map (db m120270) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 13369 — Main Drill Field, Texas A&M University
On Lamar Street, on the left when traveling east.
Texas A&M University opened in October 1876 and established the Corps of Cadets to fulfill its Congressional mandate to teach military tactics. The students at what was then an all-male institution were required to serve in the corps and follow . . . — Map (db m119627) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Nagle Hall
Near Throckmorton Street.
Nagle Hall is one of the oldest buildings on campus, constructed in 1909 as the Civil Engineering building. Renamed in 1929 for James C. Nagle, the first dean of the School of Engineering. The design maintains the campus' distinct classical . . . — Map (db m120268) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Sbisa Dining Hall
Near Houston Street.
Sbisa Dining Hall (1913) was designed by campus architect Frederick E. Giesecke to replace the castle-like 1897 mess hall that burned in 1911. It anchors the north end of Military Walk whose south terminus was Guion Assembly Hall (1918-1971). A . . . — Map (db m120271) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — 8698 — Texas A&M Corps of Cadets
On Coke Street, on the left when traveling north.
Soon after its opening in 1876, the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (Texas A&M) established the Corps of Cadets to fulfill its mandate to instruct its students (all-male until the early 1960s) in military science. A&M contributed more . . . — Map (db m119628) HM
Texas (Brazos County), College Station — Williams Administration Building
Near Bizzell Street.
The Williams Building (1932) was designed by architect S. C. P. Vosper in a classical revival style as the headquarters for the Texas A&M System. The building faced the new state highway symbolizing the shift from train to automobile travel. The . . . — Map (db m120276) HM
Texas (Brazos County), Millican — 8688 — Millican, C.S.A.
On Wellborn Road (Farm to Market Road 2154) at Farm to Market Road 159, on the right when traveling east on Wellborn Road.
Millican was Texas' northernmost railroad terminus when the war between the states began in 1861. It became a vital Confederate shipping point for the area extending to the Red River on the north and to the frontier settlements in the west. The . . . — Map (db m119607) HM
Texas (Burleson County), Caldwell — 7555 — Burleson County, C.S.A.
On West Fox Street east of South Echols Street, on the right when traveling east.
On Feb. 23, 1861, citizens voted for secession, 422 to 84. On March 1, the "Burleson Guards" organized and offered its services to the state. Most "Guards" were mustered into Co.G, 2nd Texas Infantry Regt., and others served in Walker's Texas . . . — Map (db m125671) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Indianola — 2642 — Indianola
On State Highway 316 0.5 miles south of North Ocean Drive, on the left when traveling south.
Many currents of the mainstream of Texas history flow in this onetime port. Pineda explored the coast in 1519 and La Salle planted a settlement near here in 1685. Once an Indian trading point, it was a major seaport from 1844 to 1875. Texas . . . — Map (db m120708) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Indianola — 4243 — Rene Robert Cavelier Sieur de la Salle
On State Highway 316 0.6 miles south of North Ocean Drive, on the left when traveling south.
(side 1) Born in Rouen France November 22, 1643. Came to Canada in 1668. Founded a first settlement near Montreal. Led several expeditions on the Great Lakes and the Ohio and Illinois rivers. Completed the exploration of the Mississippi, . . . — Map (db m120700) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Indianola — 4938 — Site of the Town of Indianola1844-1886
Near South Ocean Drive 0.1 miles south of Channel Drive, on the right when traveling south.
First called by German immigrants Karlshaven, an important port of Texas. Cargoes of ships were hauled to and from points in Texas and Mexico by carts until 1860 when the San Antonio and Mexico Gulf Railroad and the Indianola Railroad were completed . . . — Map (db m120706) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Indianola — 17226 — The Chihuahua Road
Near South Ocean Drive 0.1 miles south of Channel Drive, on the right when traveling south.
Between 1844 and 1887, Indianola grew to become a cosmopolitan port city that was second only to Galveston. Indianola became a port for trade and was the eastern terminus of the Chihuahua Road that traveled overland from the mines of Chihuahua city . . . — Map (db m120703) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Indianola — 17475 — The Great Camel Experiment
On North Ocean Drive at State Highway 316, on the right when traveling north on North Ocean Drive.
No immigrants arriving in Indianola were quite as exotic as the seventy-five camels that came ashore in 1856 and 1857 from Algeria, Tunisia, Egypt and Turkey. As early as 1836, politicians, diplomats and the military were considering the importation . . . — Map (db m120677) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Magnolia Beach — 5952 — Zimmerman Cemetery(One Mile Southeast)
On State Highway 316 at Margie Tewmey Road, on the right when traveling north on State Highway 316.
The earliest marked grave in the Zimmerman Cemetery, that of Georchim Wedig, is dated 1852. In 1863, Wedig's daughter Katherine married John Gonzales (1838-1918), who had come to Indianola in 1858 with Joseph Mendez (d. . . . — Map (db m120713) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Olivia — 3855 — Olivia
On State Highway 172 0.3 miles south of County Road 314, on the right when traveling south.
Established in 1892, the community of Olivia was named for Olivia Haterius, wife of the Rev. Carl J.E. Haterius, a Swedish Lutheran minister who bought land in the area and advertised a new settlement to other Swedish immigrants in the Midwest. . . . — Map (db m120734) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Olivia — 3856 — Olivia Cemetery
On County Road 317 at State Highway 172, on the left when traveling south on County Road 317.
In 1892, the Rev. Carl J.E. Haterius of Galesburg, Illinois, acquired land at this site with the intention of establishing a community for Swedish settlers. He named the settlement for his wife, Olivia. When the townsite was laid out in 1893, land . . . — Map (db m120735) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 17992 — Battle of Norris Bridge
On Buren Road 0.2 miles east of State Highway 238, on the right when traveling south.
In November of 1863, in the midst of the Civil War, the Union Army arrived in Calhoun County. Union and Texas troops rarely met on the field of battle in Texas, as most of the war was concentrated in the east and south of the country. The Union . . . — Map (db m120714) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 12452 — Calhoun County Hurricanes
On South Ann Street at West Live Oak Street, on the right when traveling south on South Ann Street.
Severe storms with high winds, heavy rains and tidal surges, hurricanes have played a significant role in events that shaped Calhoun County's history. Entire towns, including Indianola (a key Gulf seaport and Calhoun County seat) and Saluria . . . — Map (db m120674) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 17137 — Calhoun County Participation During World War II
On South Ann Street at West Live Oak Street, on the right when traveling south on South Ann Street.
Before World War II, Calhoun County was primarily involved in farming, ranching and commercial seafood but after the attack on Pearl Harbor, the county became a major participant in the war effort. In November 1940, much of the county's shoreline . . . — Map (db m120676) HM
Texas (Calhoun County), Port Lavaca — 17477 — Howard Gallemore Hartzog, Sr.
On South Ann Street at West Live Oak Street, on the right when traveling south on South Ann Street.
In the mid-twentieth century, Calhoun County was beginning an unprecedented period of growth. Howard G. Hartzog, Sr. was an active community leader who guided the county as a private citizen, county judge and as a state representative by diligently . . . — Map (db m120672) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 9118 — Chambers County
On Miller Road (State Highway 61), on the right when traveling west.
Formed from Jefferson and Liberty counties. Created February 12, 1858. Organized August 2, 1858. Named in honor of General Thomas Jefferson Chambers 1802-1865 The first and only superior judge of Texas before the Revolution. Member of . . . — Map (db m121264) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 9117 — Chambersea
On Cummings Street west of Washington Avenue (State Highway 61), on the right when traveling east.
Built in 1845. Home of Thomas Jefferson Chambers, early civic and business leader whose love for Texas was proclaimed by the "Star" window in the west gable. The modest board-and-batten pioneer house has another unique feature in the graceful, . . . — Map (db m121263) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 12651 — Graydon
On Eagle Road 2.8 miles south of Sykes Road (Farm to Market Road 2936), on the right when traveling north.
The farming community of Graydon flourished along the west fork of Double Bayou at the turn of the century. Benjamin F. Sterling (1831-1917), one of the earliest settlers in the area, brought his family here in 1869. He is credited . . . — Map (db m121360) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 9116 — Home of Thomas Jefferson Chambers1802 - 1865
On Washington Avenue (State Highway 61) at Cummings Street, on the right when traveling south on Washington Avenue.
Surveyor General of Texas, 1829. Sole superior judge of Texas before 1836. Active in the cause of independence. Member of Secession Convention, 1861. Chambersea, later Anahuac, and a Texas county were named in his honor. — Map (db m121340) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 12650 — James Taylor White
Near Interstate 10 at milepost 815, on the right when traveling east.
A veteran of the War of 1812, James Taylor White (b.1789) migrated to this area from Louisiana in 1828. As a rancher, he developed one of the largest herds of Longhorn cattle in southeast Texas. On White's ranch in June 1832, area colonists . . . — Map (db m121266) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 9126 — Lone Star Canal
On Miller Street (State Highway 61) at Washington Avenue (State Highway 61), on the right when traveling west on Miller Street.
Berriman Richard Garland (1840-1918), a native of Indiana, saw the need for fresh water for rice crops in east Chambers County. Garland and A. L. Williams began in 1902 acquiring land and constructing this irrigation canal. It started at the mouth . . . — Map (db m121261) HM
Texas (Chambers County), Anahuac — 9133 — The Dr. N.T. Schilling Medical Office
On Washington Avenue (State Highway 61) south of Cummings Street, on the right when traveling south.
Nicholas T. Schilling, born in Bavaria on Nov. 28, 1845, came as a small child with his parents to the United States. He served in the Civil War (1861-65) as a youthful volunteer in the Maryland cavalry. In 1872, he received his M.D. degree from the . . . — Map (db m121262) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Alto — 6971 — Mound Prairie
On State Highway 21 6.2 miles west of Marcus Street (U.S. 69), on the right when traveling east.
Bulging out of the earth a few yards from this point, three prehistoric Indian mounds interrupt the prevailing flat terrain. Long overgrown with grass, the mounds and adjacent village (covering about 100 acres) constitute one of the major aboriginal . . . — Map (db m121333) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Alto — 6838 — Site of Lacy's Fort
On State Highway 21 1.7 miles west of Marcus Street (U.S. 69), on the left when traveling east.
Built before 1835 as a home and trading post by Martin Lacy, Indian agent for the Mexican government. Used as a place of refuge after the massacre of the Killough family, October 5, 1838. — Map (db m121259) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Alto — 15628 — Site of Mission San Francisco de los Tejas
On State Highway 21 0.2 miles east of County Road 2807, on the left when traveling east.
Originally established as Mission San Francisco de los Tejas in 1690 by Franciscan missionaries for the purpose of Christianizing and civilizing the Neches and other Indians of the region. Reestablished in 1716. Abandoned temporarily due to French . . . — Map (db m121257) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Alto — 6860 — Site of Neches Indian Village
On State Highway 21, on the right when traveling east. Reported permanently removed.
Here at the opening of the 18th century stood a village of the Neches Indians. Their name was given to the river and later to a mission, San Francisco de Los Neches, established near by. With the Cherokees, the Neches Indians were expelled from . . . — Map (db m121335) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Alto — 6646 — Site of the Delaware Indian Village
On State Highway 21 1.4 miles west of Marcus Street (U.S. 69), on the right when traveling east.
Noted as interpreters and messengers of peace, the Delawares were chiefly instrumental in bringing other tribes to the General Treaty at Bird's Fort (in the present county of Tarrant) in 1843. — Map (db m121258) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Alto — 6962 — Zebulon Pike Campsite
On County Road 2907 0.4 miles west of State Highway 21, on the right when traveling west.
In 1807, under commission from Gen. James Wilkinson, Governor of the Louisiana Territory, Lt. Zebulon Pike led an expedition to explore the headwaters of the Arkansas and Red Rivers and to report on Spanish settlements in the New Mexico area. . . . — Map (db m121256) HM
Texas (Cooke County), Gainesville — 1054 — Cooke County C.S.A. / 2nd Frontier Regiment
On West California Street (Farm to Market Road 51) west of Frontage Interstate 35 Frontage Road, on the right when traveling west.
Front Cooke County C.S.A. Military, defense center in Civil War. Cooke voted 231 to 137 anti-secession, yet nine military units served Confederacy from here. In constant danger of Federal or Indian attack. Col. Wm. . . . — Map (db m121778) HM
Texas (Cooke County), Gainesville — 13812 — Moffett Park
On West California Street (Farm to Market Road 51) west of Frontage Interstate 35 Frontage Road, on the right when traveling west.
The owner of 90 acres in this vicinity, Missouri native Ned Moffett, Sr., (1842-1924) wed Mary Stone on April 19, 1866. The couple had nine children, and early census records listed the family as Mulatto. The Moffetts permitted use of this property . . . — Map (db m121776) HM
Texas (Cooke County), Gainsville — 1053 — Cooke County
On West California Street (Farm to Market Road 51) 0.2 miles west of Interstate 35, on the right when traveling west. Reported damaged.
Created March 20, 1848. Organized March 10, 1849. Named in honor of William G. Cooke 1808-1847 Captain of the "New Orleans Greys," 1835 Assistant Inspector General at San Jacinto, 1836 Member of the Santa Fe Expedition, 1841 . . . — Map (db m121775) HM
Texas (Cooke County), Valley View — 2958 — Kiowa Raid of 1868(SW Part of County)
On Interstate 35 at milepost 490, 2.8 miles north of East Obuch Street (Farm to Market Road 922), on the right when traveling north.
On Jan. 5-6, 1868, Chief Big Tree and 150 to 200 Kiowas raided Willa Walla Valley, Clear Creek and Blocker Creek. Burned homes; killed 13 people; scalped one woman alive. Captured 10 women and children; 3 escaped, 2 were ransomed. Raiders reached . . . — Map (db m121774) HM
Texas (Denton County), Denton — 1207 — Denton County
On North Elm Street (U.S. 77/377) at West Oak Street, on the left when traveling south on North Elm Street.
Created April 11, 1846 from Fannin County Organized July 13, 1846 with Denton as county seat Both town and county are named in honor of John B. Denton 1807-1841 Pioneer preacher, lawyer and Indian fighter First county seat . . . — Map (db m121786) HM
Texas (Denton County), Denton — 1208 — Denton County Courthouse
On North Locust Street (U.S. 77/377) south of West Oak Street, on the left when traveling north.
Built 1896-97. Fifth courthouse for Denton County. First was at Alton, second at Pinckneyville. Third (in Denton) was burned in crime charged to a member of the Sam Bass Gang of outlaws. Walls are native limestone; columns, Burnet County . . . — Map (db m121787) HM
Texas (Denton County), Denton — 18167 — Edna Westbrook Trigg in Denton County
On West Hickory Street at North Locust Street (U.S. 77/377), on the left when traveling east on West Hickory Street.
Edna Westbrook Trigg (1868-1946) was the first county home demonstration agent appointed in Texas in 1915, serving in Denton County from February 1916 through December 1937. She was named Denton County home demonstration emeritus from January 1, . . . — Map (db m121785) HM
Texas (Denton County), Denton — 2767 — John B. Denton
On West Hickory Street at North Locust Street (U.S. 77/377), on the left when traveling east on West Hickory Street.
Born in Tennessee July 26, 1806, came to Texas in January, 1836, as a Methodist circuit rider. Killed in the Village Creek Indian fight May 24, 1841 in what is now Tarrant County. Named for Gen. Edward H. Tarrant who commanded the volunteers. Denton . . . — Map (db m121788) HM
Texas (Denton County), Denton — 5309 — The City of Denton
On West Hickory Street at North Locust Street (U.S. 77/377), on the left when traveling east on West Hickory Street.
Pioneers settled this locality in the 1840s. In 1846 the Texas Legislature created Denton County - one of several carved from the Peters Colony grant. After trying other sites, the voters in 1856 accepted for county seat this tract donated by Hiram . . . — Map (db m121784) HM
Texas (Fort Bend County), Richmond — 8994 — Fort Bend County Courthouse
On Jackson Street (Alternate U.S. 90) at South 5th Street, on the right when traveling east on Jackson Street.
This classical revival building is the fifth courthouse for Fort Bend County, which was organized in 1837. The structure was designed by C. H. Page of Austin and dedicated in 1909. The contractor was the Texas Building Company, also of Austin. . . . — Map (db m122796) HM
Texas (Gonzales County), Gonzales — 1735 — James W. RobinsonFirst Lieutenant Governor of Texas — (1800-1857) —
On North St. Joseph Street (Business U.S. 183) at St. Lawrence Street, on the right when traveling north on North St. Joseph Street.
First Lieutenant Governor of Texas James W. Robinson (1800-1857) Born in Indiana. Came to Texas in 1833. Elected lieutenant governor in November, 1835, Served as governor January to March 1836, then fought as a private in the Battle of San Jacinto . . . — Map (db m123611) HM
Texas (Harris County), Bellaire — 10788 — Teas Nursery Company
On Bellaire Boulevard at Newcastle Drive, on the right when traveling west on Bellaire Boulevard.
Teas Nursery Company traces its history to 1843, when John C. Teas (1827-1907) began selling apples out of his back yard in Indiana. After moving the business to Missouri in 1868, Teas became a nationally prominent horticulturist. In 1908 his . . . — Map (db m125890) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 15812 — Anson Jones(January 20, 1798 - January 9, 1858)
Near Washington Avenue at Custus Street, on the right when traveling east.
Anson Jones was born in Great Barrington, Massachusetts. He earned his M.D. degree in Philadelphia in 1827; by October 1833, Jones had moved to Texas, establishing a successful medical practice in Brazoria. In 1835, he helped organize Holland Lodge . . . — Map (db m122935) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 15920 — Archibald Wynns(December 25, 1807 - August 21, 1859)
Near Washington Avenue.
Archibald Wynns was born in Henry County, Tennessee to Thomas Henry and Winniford (Outlaw) Wynns. Archibald married Martha Elizabeth Edmunds in January 1836, and the couple soon set out for Texas. The Wynns constructed their first home on the corner . . . — Map (db m123010) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 18938 — Astrodome
Near NRG Parkway 0.3 miles east of Kirby Drive, on the right when traveling east.
Judge Roy Hofheinz envisioned the world's first air-conditioned fully enclosed multi-purpose stadium by 1960. Officially named the Harris County Domed Stadium, ground was broken for the home of Major League Baseball's Houston Colt .45s on January 3, . . . — Map (db m119849) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 12435 — Belle Sherman Kendall
Near Washington Avenue at Custus Street, on the right when traveling east.
The daughter of Texas Revolutionary War general Sidney Sherman and Catherine Isabell (Cox), Belle Sherman (1847-1919) was born in Harrisburg and married William E. Kendall in 1867. After making Houston her home in 1878, Belle S. Kendall became a . . . — Map (db m123014) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10618 — Caspar Braun(March 16, 1822 - October 14, 1880)
Near Washington Avenue.
A native of Germany, Caspar Braun was educated in Switzerland. A physician and teacher as well as a Lutheran clergyman, he was sent to Pennsylvania as a missionary in 1847. He arrived in Houston in 1850. The following year he organized the first . . . — Map (db m123015) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 15715 — Charlotte Marie Baldwin Allen(July 14, 1805 - August 3, 1895)
Near Washington Avenue.
Considered by many as the "Mother of Houston," Charlotte Marie Baldwin Allen was a leader in Houston during a time when women had few rights and fewer opportunities. She was born in Onondaga County, New York, and was the daughter of Elizabeth . . . — Map (db m122984) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10632 — Clayton House
Near Caroline Street south of Oakdale Street, on the right when traveling south.
Built in 1916-17, this Georgian Revival house was the home of William L. Clayton (1880-1966), founder of Anderson, Clayton, & Co., a cotton trading firm. A leader in public service as well as business, Clayton was a principal architect of the . . . — Map (db m125878) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10790 — Colonel B.F. TerryFebruary 18, 1821 - December 17, 1861
Near Washington Avenue at Custus Street, on the right when traveling east.
(front) Native of Kentucky. Came to Texas, 1831. Member Secession Convention. Commanded reinforcements of State troops sent to Rio Grande for the capture of Federal Army property at Fort Brown. Went to Virginia hoping to be in first battle . . . — Map (db m122936) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10673 — Darius Gregg(Nov. 8, 1804 - Mar. 28, 1870)
Near Washington Avenue at Custus Street, on the right when traveling east.
Born in Nicholasville, Jessamine County, Ky. Arrived in Texas, 1827. Received land grant in Austin's second colony, 1831. Fought (Oct.-Dec. 1835) in Siege of Bexar, including the Grass Fight (Nov. 26). Married Susan . . . — Map (db m123022) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 15726 — David Finney Stuart, M.D.(August 15, 1833 - September 8, 1909)
Near Washington Avenue.
David Finney Stuart was born in Brooke County, Western Virginia, to William and Mary Cummins Stuart. Upon the death of his parents, Stuart moved to Texas to live with his sister Elizabeth, wife of the Rev. Dr. James Weston Miller. A brother-in-law, . . . — Map (db m122989) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10671 — Edwin Fairfax Gray
Near Washington Avenue.
. . . — Map (db m123012) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 14925 — Ellis Benson
Near Washington Avenue.
Ellis Benson (1813-1896), a veteran of the Texas Revolution and participant in the Battle of San Jacinto, was born in Vermont. Before immigrating to Texas, he fought in the Black Hawk War (1832) in Illinois. By 1835, Benson was in New Orleans, where . . . — Map (db m122987) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 11965 — Eugene Thomas Heiner(August 20, 1852 - April 26, 1901)
Near Washington Avenue.
Born in New York City to German immigrants Nicholas and Margaretta Heiner, Eugene Thomas Heiner apprenticed himself to a Chicago architect when he was thirteen years old and later completed his training in Berlin, Germany. Heiner became a draftsman . . . — Map (db m122983) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 12912 — First Evangelical Church
On Holman Street at Caroline Street, on the right when traveling west on Holman Street.
On July 1, 1851, a group led by the Rev. Caspar Messon Braun (1822-1880) founded the Erste Deutsche Evangelische Lutherische Kirche, or First German Evangelical Lutheran Church. The State of Texas issued the church's charter in September of that . . . — Map (db m119857) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10661 — First Presbyterian Church of Houston
On South Main Street north of Binz Street, on the right when traveling south.
Organized March 31 (Easter Sunday), 1839, in Senate Chamber, Capitol of Republic of Texas, Main at Texas, by the Rev. Wm. Youel Allen, missionary from the United States, and eleven members. James Burke was elected ruling elder. Services of worship . . . — Map (db m125877) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 13710 — Gustav August Forsgard
Near Washington Avenue.
Gustav (Gustaf, Gustave) August Samuelson (1832-1919) was one of 13 children born to Johannes Samuelson and Anna Petersdotter of Forserum, Sweden. At the age of 16, he emigrated from Sweden, arriving in Houston with a group of other Scandinavians on . . . — Map (db m122988) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 15714 — Houston Cemetery Company
On Washington Avenue at Custus Street, on the right when traveling east on Washington Avenue.
The Houston Cemetery Company was one of several chartered and private associations promoted by Houston business leaders for the purpose of effecting civic, cultural and economic improvements following the Civil War. Houston Cemetery Company was . . . — Map (db m122956) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10695 — Houston Heights
On Heights Boulevard at Katy Freeway Service Road (Frontage Interstate 10 Frontage Road), in the median on Heights Boulevard.
Representatives of the American Loan and Trust Company of Omaha, Nebraska, came to Houston in 1890 to scout locations for land development. Under the leadership of O.M. Carter, D.D. Cooley, and others, company directors purchased 1,756 acres of land . . . — Map (db m122957) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10697 — Houston Light Guard Armory
Near Alabama Street at Caroline Street, on the right when traveling east.
Designed by noted Houston architect Alfred C. Finn, the Armory was constructed in 1925 to replace an 1892 building that had become obsolete. Finn detailed the building to suggest a late renaissance period neo-Gothic English masonry, represented by . . . — Map (db m119860) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10720 — Irvin Capers Lord
Near Washington Avenue.
South Carolina native Irvin Capers Lord (1827-1914) came to Houston with his family in 1854. A machinist by trade, he was co-owner of Lord and Richardson's Eagle Iron Works. In 1858 he was elected alderman, representing the First Ward until 1863 . . . — Map (db m123013) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 18498 — James Robert Cade(June 15, 1845 - November 5, 1912)
Near Washington Avenue.
Born in England in 1845, James Robert Cade immigrated to the United States in mid-1869, arriving in Harrisburg, Texas, in 1873 with his new bride, Annie Mortimer, also of English descent. James Robert previously trained in England as a railroad . . . — Map (db m123020) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 18533 — James S. and Alfred T. Lucas
Near Washington Avenue.
James Sherwood Lucas (1836-1888) and his son Alfred T. Lucas (1863-1922) immigrated to the United States and became influential brick masons and contractors who helped develop the city of Houston. James Lucas was born in Nottingham, England, to . . . — Map (db m122992) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 16770 — Maurice Joseph Sullivan(June 21, 1884 - December 15, 1961)
On San Jacinto Street at Southmore Boulevard, on the left when traveling north on San Jacinto Street.
Maurice J. Sullivan, son of Maurice and Margaret (Fitzsimons) Sullivan, was born in Grand Rapids, Michigan. He attended Detroit College (1901-1903) and studied structural and civil engineering at the University of Michigan (1904-1906). While . . . — Map (db m125881) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10773 — San Jacinto High School
Near Holman Street at Caroline Street, on the right when traveling east.
South End Junior High School opened its doors in 1914 with 750 students in an impressive classical revival style structure built here in 1913. South End Junior High became a senior high school in 1923, and in 1926 its name was changed to San Jacinto . . . — Map (db m119852) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10635 — Site of Confederate Prison Compound
On Girard Street east of Travis Street, on the left when traveling east.
Before 1861, site of warehouse serving Buffalo Bayou shipping. At times during 1861-65, the building here housed prisoners of war. In Jan. 1863 it held 350 Federals captured by Houston-based Confederate army of Gen. John B. Magruder. The city also . . . — Map (db m119862) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10690 — Site of Old Houston Academy
On Austin Street at Rusk Street, on the left when traveling north on Austin Street.
Founded 1856. Lost most of its male students to Confederate army in Civil War. In 1864-1865 building was used as an army hospital. Was site in 1867 for the lying-in-state of body of General Albert Sidney Johnston, who had lived near Houston. (A . . . — Map (db m125722) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 14339 — Temple Beth Israel
On Austin Street at Holman Street, on the right when traveling west on Austin Street.
Congregation Beth Israel is the oldest Jewish congregation in Texas. Early Jewish families that settled in the area formed the Hebrew Benevolent Society in 1844, under the leadership of Lewis Levy. By 1854, seventeen adults organized themselves into . . . — Map (db m119855) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 11951 — The Garden Club of Houston
On South Main Street at Montrose Boulevard, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street.
In 1924, seven friends who lived near the newly constructed Museum of Fine Arts formed the Garden Club of Houston. They planned to study horticulture, experiment with new plants and further the beautification of the city of Houston. From this small . . . — Map (db m125880) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 11973 — The Rev. William M. Tryon(March 10, 1809 - November 16, 1847)
Near Washington Avenue.
William Milton Tryon of New York City lost his father at the age of 9. At 17, young William was baptized. He and his mother moved to Georgia in 1832 where William was licensed to preach. He attended the Mercer Institute and was ordained as a . . . — Map (db m122994) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 10797 — Trinity Episcopal Church
On Main Street at Holman Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
Established in 1893, Trinity Episcopal Church acquired this site in 1910. Construction of the sanctuary, designed by architect Ralph Adams Cram, began in 1917 and was completed in 1919. Features of the Gothic revival structure include a basilica . . . — Map (db m119850) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 18068 — Washington Cemetery
Near Washington Avenue at Custus Street, on the right when traveling east.
The Deutsche Gesellschaft von Houston, founded in 1875, established the German Society Cemetery in February 1887 by purchasing this property, then located outside the city limits, from the heirs of John Lawrence and Thomas Hart. Twelve-space . . . — Map (db m122929) HM
Texas (Harris County), Houston — 15757 — William Gammell(October 18, 1812 - April 10, 1869)
Near Washington Avenue.
William Gammell was born in Ayshire, Scotland. He and his parents immigrated to the United States, settling in Lowell, Massachusetts. Gammell arrived in Texas during the spring of 1836, where he enlisted in the Texian Army on April 5. He served in . . . — Map (db m122985) HM
Texas (Harris County), Humble — 10662 — First United Methodist Church of Humble
On East Main Street at South Avenue G, on the right when traveling east on East Main Street.
Founded in 1886, Humble was an oil boom town in 1907 when the Rev. J. T. Browning of Houston began conducting Methodist worship services for residents of the area. The services were first held in a building that had housed a bottle factory. In 1908, . . . — Map (db m122931) HM
Texas (Harris County), Humble — Joseph Dunman
On South Houston Avenue at Isaacks Road, on the right when traveling north on South Houston Avenue.
Joseph Dunman Republic of Texas Early Humble Pioneer Born 1794 Louisiana Died 3 April 1859 Harris County Texas Born in Louisiana in 1794, Joseph Dunman served as a private in De clouet's Regiment in the Louisiana Militia during the . . . — Map (db m123003) HM
Texas (Harris County), Humble — Pangburn Building
On East Main Street, on the right when traveling east.
This structure was erected in 1914 by William R. (Bill) Pangburn. He made his own cement bricks using San Jacinto River sand hauled by horse and wagon. The building has housed a drygood store, drug store, post office, cafe, dance hall and a variety . . . — Map (db m122999) HM
Texas (Harris County), Humble — Trees of Knowledge
On East Main Street, on the right when traveling west.
These two trees were grown from acorns in slop jars, by Uncle Dick Hatcher. He planted them not long after the courthouse was built in 1928. They received their name from Judge Wise's habit of using the benches beneath the trees to sit on while . . . — Map (db m123001) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 8 — Advance Under Gen'l Rusk
On Park Road 1836 west of Independence Parkway, on the right when traveling north.
No 8 Advance under Gen'l Rusk April 21, 1836 — Map (db m125965) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 7 — Burleson's Advance
No 7 Burleson's Advance Infantry April 21, 1836 — Map (db m125951) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 2 — Burleson's Camp
No 2 Burleson's Camp — Map (db m125964) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 12 — Cavalry Skirmish
On Park Road 1836 at an unnamed park service road, on the right when traveling west on Park Road 1836.
No 12 Cavalry Skirmish under Sherman day before battle — Map (db m125998) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 10805 — Freeman Wilkinson
On Park Road 1836, on the right when traveling south.
A member of Captain Thomas H. McIntire's company at San Jacinto. Died at Lynchburg in 1839 and was buried near his comrades who fell in battle. — Map (db m125926) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 10 — Hockley's Advance
On Park Road 1836, on the right when traveling west.
No 10 Hockley's Advance Artillery April 21, 1836 — Map (db m125952) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 19 — Houston Wounded
On an unnamed Park Road 0.1 miles south of Park Road 1836, on the left when traveling west.
No 19 Houston wounded and horse killed under him during battle — Map (db m125956) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 4 — Lamar's Camp
No 4 Lamar's Camp — Map (db m125963) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 20043 — Lynch's FerryOne Mile Northeast to Site of
On Independence Parkway, on the right when traveling south.
A pioneer ferry of Texas under Mexico and the Republic. Established at the confluence of Buffalo Bayou and the San Jacinto River, 1822, by Nathaniel Lynch, one of Stephen F. Austin's "Old Three Hundred" colonists. Usual charges at ferries like this . . . — Map (db m125910) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 13 — Mexican Breastworks
No 13 Mexican Breastworks Cavalry Engagement Under Lamar April 21, 1836 — Map (db m125955) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 15 — Mexican Breastworks
On Park Road 1836 at an unnamed Park Road, on the left when traveling west on Park Road 1836.
No 15 Mexican Breastworks — Map (db m125999) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 14 — Mexican Cannon
On an unnamed Park Road, on the left when traveling west.
No 14 Mexican Cannon — Map (db m126000) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 10770 — Mexican Cavalry, Battle of San Jacinto
On Independence Parkway, on the right when traveling north.
The Mexican Cavalry was on the left wing, Infantry and Artillery in the center behind a fortification of boxes and baggage, while the extreme right was far extended. — Map (db m125905) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 11 — Mexican Position
On Park Road 1836, on the right when traveling west.
No 11 Mexican Position Apr 20, 1836 — Map (db m125953) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — Mexican Surrender
On Park Road 1836 North 0.9 miles east of Vista Road, on the left when traveling north.
Many of the Mexican soldiers who escaped the initial bloodshed were taken prisoner. After the Texans won the battle, they continued chasing down and killing Mexican soldiers. Few were allowed to surrender in the immediate aftermath. However, . . . — Map (db m125954) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 9 — Millard's Advance
On Park Road 1836 east of Independence Parkway, on the right when traveling west.
No 9 Millard's Advance Infantry April 21, 1836 — Map (db m125948) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 3 — Millard's Camp
No 3 Millard's Camp — Map (db m125962) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 6 — Sherman's Advance
On Monument Circle, on the right when traveling west.
No 6 Sherman's Advance Left Wing Infantry April 21, 1836 — Map (db m125997) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 5 — Sherman's Camp
No 5 Sherman's Camp — Map (db m125967) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 10768 — The Texas Army Attacked in Four Divisions
On Independence Parkway 0.8 miles north of Pasadena Freeway (State Highway 225), on the left when traveling north.
The Texas Army attacked in four divisions; the Cavalry on the right, commanded by Mirabeau B. Lamar; next, the Infantry under Lieutenant Colonel Henry Millard; the “Twin Sisters” cannon under Colonel Edward Burleson; the 2nd Regiment, . . . — Map (db m125883) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 1 — Twin Sisters
Near Independence Parkway west of Park Road 1836, on the left when traveling north.
Marker Front: No 1 Site Twin Sisters April 20, 1836 Cannon Presented by Citizens of Cincinnati to Republic of Texas Supplemental Plaque: In grateful appreciation of the efforts of the citizens of Cincinnati, Ohio, whose . . . — Map (db m125950) HM
Texas (Harris County), La Porte — 10769 — Within A Few Minutes, Battle of San Jacinto Site
On Independence Parkway, on the right when traveling north.
Within a few minutes the Battle of San Jacinto was over. According to General Houston's report 630 Mexicans lay dead on the field, 208 were wounded and 730 were taken prisoners. Money, arms and equipment were captured. The Texans had 9 killed and 30 . . . — Map (db m125906) HM
Texas (Harris County), Pasadena — 10643 — Crown Hill Cemetery
On North Richey Street, on the left when traveling north.
Permanent settlement of this area began about 1891. Lot sales in the new town of Pasadena began in 1893, and the town was officially platted three years later. The first recorded burials in this vicinity occurred about 1894, although the exact . . . — Map (db m125894) HM
Texas (Harris County), West University Place — 15654 — City of West University Place
On University Boulevard at Auden Street, on the right when traveling west on University Boulevard.
Tennessee politician Ben W. Hooper led investors in forming the West End Realty Co. in 1910. They chose land near Rice Institute, which opened in 1912, and created West University Place, connected to Houston by streetcar. Homesites sold primarily to . . . — Map (db m125891) HM
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 7037 — Crockett
On South 5th Street at East Houston Avenue (State Highway 21), on the left when traveling north on South 5th Street.
Founded 1837. Named for David Crockett, who had visited here on way to the Alamo, 1836.

Old fortified log courthouse was often the refuge for settlers during Indian raids.

During Civil War had camp of instruction. Telegraph and stagecoach . . . — Map (db m120963) HM

Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 11096 — Early Bank Building
On East Goliad Avenue (State Highway 7) east of South 5th Street (U.S. 287), on the right when traveling east.
A typical late 19th Century Texas commercial building, with cast iron front and pressed tin ornamentation. Erected for bank developed in mercantile store of W.E. Mayes (1837-1915). To aid his customers, Mayes in 1880s took care of cash and currency, . . . — Map (db m121248) HM
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 11130 — First National Bank of Crockett
On East Goliad Avenue (State Highway 7) at South 5th Street (U.S. 287), on the right when traveling east on East Goliad Avenue.
Founded about 1881 as sideline in mercantile store of W.E. Mayes (1837-1915), who aided customers by keeping cash and currency in his safe, issuing loans and credits. In 1892 H.F. Moore (1854-1926) came here from . . . — Map (db m121247) HM
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 11132 — Five Courthouses of Houston County
On South 4th Street (U.S. 287) at East Houston Avenue (Texas Highway 21), on the left when traveling south on South 4th Street.
On June 12, 1837, President Sam Houston authorized the formation of Houston County, the first newly created county in the Republic of Texas. Andrew W. Gossett (1812-1890) donated land, which included this square, for the townsite. He and his father, . . . — Map (db m121246) HM
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 12422 — Houston County Courthouse
On South 4th Street (U.S. 287) at East Goliad Avenue (Texas Highway 7), on the left when traveling south on South 4th Street.
In early 1938, the Houston County commissioners court, with County Judge B. F. Bradley presiding, began making plans for construction of the county's fifth courthouse. Built in 1939 with funds from the Federal Public Works Administration, the . . . — Map (db m121245) HM
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 11227 — Miller-Spinks-Mayes Property
On North 4th Street (U.S. 287) at East Houston Avenue (Texas Highway 21), on the right when traveling south on North 4th Street.
This corner of the town square was developed as a law office after state legislator and Houston County Judge S.A. Miller (1805-1893) purchased it in 1840. In 1891, Rudd Crawford Spinks (1856-1938) bought the site and built a two-story brick building . . . — Map (db m120965) HM
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 7039 — Original Site of the Joseph R. Rice Log Cabin
On State Highway 21 0.7 miles east of Farm to Market Road 3187, on the right when traveling west.
Joseph Redmond Rice (1805-1866) and his wife, Willie Masters Rice (1809-1881), natives of Tennessee and Kentucky, built a one-room log cabin on this site in 1828. Rice's brothers and his father-in-law, Jacob Masters, probably helped with the . . . — Map (db m121250) HM
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 11089 — Site of the Crockett Hotel
On East Houston Avenue (State Highway 21) at South 5th Street, on the right when traveling west on East Houston Avenue.
James H. Collard, a surveyor, opened a general store on this site in 1837. Four years later he sold the business to Thomas Collins (1800-1869). Members of the Collins family ran the store until 1890 when William Berry (b.1856) constructed the . . . — Map (db m120964) HM
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 8809 — Stage Coach Inn
On State Highway 21 0.7 miles east of Farm to Market Road 3187, on the right when traveling west.
Built as a home by Joseph D. Rice, Sr., who came to Texas in 1828. In 1838 it was designated as a stopping place for the stage coach from Nacogdoches to Crockett. — Map (db m121249) HM
Texas (Houston County), Crockett — 11238 — W.V. McConnell Building
On South 4th Street (U.S. 287) near East Goliad Avenue (Texas Highway 7), on the right when traveling south.
Crockett native William Van McConnell (1855-1919) built this Victorian commercial structure soon after he purchased the site in 1891 from Maj. J.C. Wooters, a former mayor of the city. Known for his wit and his Irish stories, McConnell opened a . . . — Map (db m120966) HM
Texas (Houston County), Weches — 7018 — Community of Weches
On County Road 1580 0.2 miles north of State Highway 21, on the left when traveling north.
Located near site of 17th-century Spanish missionary activity, this farming community had its beginnings with the settlement of the McLeans, Conners, Patton, and Gregg families, who had all arrived in the area by 1840. Originally known as Neches for . . . — Map (db m121254) HM
Texas (Houston County), Weches — 10962 — Glover School
On State Highway 21 0.4 miles west of Farm to Market Road 227, on the right when traveling east.
Established in 1881, the Glover School served residents of the rural Glover Community. Under the direction of teacher James Breeze, a one-room schoolhouse was built on A.E. Sloan's land, now the site of the Old Glover Cemetery. A consolidated school . . . — Map (db m121252) HM
Texas (Houston County), Weches — 14922 — Mission San Francisco de los Tejas
On Park Road 44 0.7 miles north of State Highway 21, on the left when traveling north.
Was founded near this marker May 24, 1690, at the Nabedache (Tejas) Indian Village Erected, A. D. 1934, by DeZavala Chapter, Texas Historical and Landmarks Association. Located by: Dr. Albert Woldert, Tyler, Texas. Miss . . . — Map (db m121405) HM
Texas (Houston County), Weches — 7013 — Mission San Francisco de Los Tejas
First Spanish Mission in East Texas. Established in 1690 by Franciscan friars to convert the Tejas Indians. "Tejas", a Spanish rendition of the Indian word for "friend", was in time adopted as the state name. The founding party was led by Capt. . . . — Map (db m121406) HM
Texas (Houston County), Weches — 7012 — Mission Santissimo Nombre de Maria
On State Highway 21 1.9 miles west of County Road 2907, on the right when traveling west.
Was founded in this vicinity Summer 1690 "on the banks of the Arcangel San Miguel" (Neches) River. Erected A.D. 1934 by De Zavala Chapter, Texas Historical and Landmarks Association. Located by: Dr. Albert Woldert, Tyler, Texas; Miss Adina De . . . — Map (db m121255) HM
Texas (Houston County), Weches — 12086 — Pine Springs Campground
On State Highway 21 3.5 miles east of Farm to Market Road 1733, on the right when traveling east.
A favorite campsite of Tejas Indians in the years before European settlers arrived, this location was used in turn by explorers, Spanish missionaries, traders and armies. Travelers were attracted by abundant game, including deer and wild turkey, and . . . — Map (db m121251) HM
Texas (Houston County), Weches — 7017 — The Joseph R. Rice Log Cabin
Near Park Road 44 0.1 miles north of State Highway 21, on the left when traveling north.
Joseph Redmond Rice (1805-1866) cut timber; then his young wife, Willie Masters Rice (1809-1881), snaked the logs to a homesite 16 miles southwest of here. The cabin they built was a noted way-station on the San Antonio Road. They brought up nine . . . — Map (db m121404) HM
Texas (Houston County), Weches — 7021 — Weches CCC Camp
On State Highway 21 0.9 miles west of County Road 1580, on the right when traveling west.
Weches Camp P-58-T was established by the Federal Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) on June 19, 1933. Manned by Company 888, the Weches camp was the first CCC camp established in Houston County. It contained barracks, a mess hall, recreation area, . . . — Map (db m121253) HM
Texas (Jackson County), Edna — 1033 — Confederates of Jackson County
On West Main Street (Business U.S. 59) east of Ed Linn Street, on the right when traveling east.
From 1860 population of 2,612 came more than 100 Civil War soldiers, one an infantryman on a crutch: M.K. Simons, a Mexican War amputee, Brigade Quartermaster, 2nd Texas Infantry, C.S.A. Officers included Capt. C.L. Owen, veteran of the Texas . . . — Map (db m120606) HM
Texas (Jackson County), Edna — 1346 — Early Jackson County
On West Main Street (Business U.S. 59) at North Wells Street (Texas Highway 111), on the right when traveling east on West Main Street.
Organized, 1837; named for 7th President of U. S., Andrew Jackson. Early hunting grounds of the cannibalistic Karankawa Indians, this region was crossed in 1528 by shipwrecked Spaniard Cabeza de Vaca. French explorer La Salle founded the first . . . — Map (db m120603) HM
Texas (Jackson County), Edna — 2701 — Jackson County
On West Main Street (Business U.S. 59), on the right when traveling east.
Home of the Karankawa Indians granted in part to Stephen F. Austin and to Martin de Leon. Settled 1824-1835 by colonists largely from Alabama, Louisiana, Kentucky, Tennessee and, west of the Lavaca, Mexico. Organized as a municipality December 5, . . . — Map (db m120609) HM
Texas (Jackson County), Edna — 2703 — Jackson County, C.S.A.
On West Main Street (Business U.S. 59) east of Ed Linn Street, on the right when traveling east.
In 1861, voted for secession 147 to 77. With its beef and cotton, helped supply South. Furnished salt from beds near Cox's Creek; hides and tallow from a plant between Port Lavaca and Texana; lead from Navidad mine (now a "lost mine"). Homefolk . . . — Map (db m120605) HM
Texas (Jackson County), Edna — 3178 — Macaroni Station
On North Wells Street (State Highway 111) at West Houston Street, on the right when traveling south on North Wells Street.
Forerunner of town of Edna; a camp and commissary during the building of the New York, Texas & Mexican railway, 1880-1882. Count Joseph Telfener, one of the railway investors, brought laborers from his native Italy; station was nicknamed for . . . — Map (db m124472) HM
Texas (Jackson County), Edna — 3406 — Mission Nuestra Señora del Espiritu Santo de Zuñiga
On Cedar Street at North Allen Street (Farm to Market Road 822), on the right when traveling west on Cedar Street.
Situated in the present county of Jackson was the mission of Nuestra Señora del Espiritu Santo de Zuñiga. Established by Joseph de Azlor, Marquis of Aguayo, and Father Fray Agustin Patron, O.F.M. in 1722 for the civilizing and Christianizing of the . . . — Map (db m120608) HM
Texas (Leon County), Centerville — 9624 — Fort Boggy
On Interstate 45, on the right when traveling south.
Pioneers who settled in this area about 1840 included members of the Middleton, Byrns, Staley, Erwin, Jones, Capp, Bloodworth, Philpott, Easton, Howell, and Hinton families. Nearby Kichai and Kickapoo Indian camps afforded these early settlers . . . — Map (db m119705) HM
Texas (Leon County), Centerville — 9628 — Leon County
On State Highway 75 1.8 miles north of Farm to Market Road 977, on the right when traveling north.
. . . — Map (db m119576) HM
Texas (Leon County), Centerville — 9629 — Leon County Courthouse
On East St Marys Street (State Highway 7) at Commerce Street (State Highway 75), on the left when traveling east on East St Marys Street.
Built 1887 of slate brick, locally made. One of oldest Texas courthouses still in its original state. County created in 1846. County seat was moved from Leona to Centerville in 1850. Two earlier courthouses have occupied this site. . . . — Map (db m119577) HM
Texas (Liberty County), Liberty — 9669 — Liberty County
On U.S. 90 0.7 miles east of Texas Highway 146, on the right when traveling west.
A trail across this region traveled and described by Alonso de Leon in 1690 became the "La Bahía" or "Lower Road" in the 18th century. First settlement, Atascocita, established in 1757. The town established May 5, 1831 as the "Villa de la Santísima . . . — Map (db m121260) HM
Texas (Matagorda County), Bay City — 337 — Bay City Library
On 5th Street at Avenue H, on the right when traveling east on 5th Street.
Organized in 1912, the Bay City Public Library was first housed in the J. P. Keller Insurance Company office. The non-profit Bay City Library Association, also formed in 1912, spearheaded community fund raising efforts to operate the library. Land . . . — Map (db m120755) HM
Texas (Matagorda County), Bay City — 15467 — Matagorda County Confederate Memorial
On 6th Street east of Avenue F (State Highway 60), on the right when traveling west.
1861-1865 To the memory of our Confederate Soldiers. "Lest We Forget." — Map (db m120757) WM
Texas (Matagorda County), Bay City — 3254 — Matagorda, C.S.A.
On 6th Street at Avenue F (State Highway 60), on the right when traveling west on 6th Street.
Near the mouth of the Colorado River, 20 miles to the south, is the town of Matagorda, the second most important port of entry in early Texas. In the Civil War, center for rich farmlands and one of 8 Texas ports that blockade runners used for . . . — Map (db m120750) HM
Texas (Matagorda County), Bay City — 3689 — Old Bay City Bank
On 7th Street (State Highway 35) at Avenue F (State Highway 60), on the right when traveling west on 7th Street.
Established 1898, four years after founding of Bay City. Private bank. Owners: Henry Rugeley, Frank Hawkins. This building erected 1903, site of many investment transactions important to Texas Gulf Coast development. Recorded Texas . . . — Map (db m120754) HM
Texas (Matagorda County), Clemville — 12554 — Clemville
On Farm to Market Road 1468 at County Road 418, on the left when traveling east on Road 1468.
Originally part of land granted to early colonist Henry Parker, this was a rural farming and ranching area until 1908 when F.J. Hardy discovered oil and formed the Hardy Oil Company. By 1911, F.J. Clemenger had settled in the community, then known . . . — Map (db m120739) HM
Texas (Nueces County), Corpus Christi — 1068 — Corpus Christi1861-1865
On North Water Street, on the right when traveling south.
Near here on August 16 and 18, 1862, three Confederate artillery pieces held off four attacking Federal ships during the Civil War bombardment of Corpus Christi. The blockading squadron of Lieutenant J.W. Kittredge, U.S.N., had harassed the . . . — Map (db m122342) HM
Texas (Robertson County), Franklin — 10925 — Franklin Carnegie Library
On East Decherd Street at North Owensville Street, on the right when traveling east on East Decherd Street.
The city of Franklin housed a library of 1,000 volumes in its City Hall before 1913. In February that year, Franklin Mayor R. M. Cole (1848-1931) applied to the Carnegie Corporation of New York for funds to build a new library. The Carnegie . . . — Map (db m119605) HM
Texas (Robertson County), Franklin — 16082 — Robertson County
On U.S. 79 1.3 miles east of Farm to Market Road 46, on the right when traveling west.
Settled by people from Tennessee under an 1822 contract held by Sterling Clack Robertson (1785-1842), who later signed the Texas Declaration of Independence. Colony and county were named for him. County was created Dec. 14, 1837, organized March . . . — Map (db m119604) HM
Texas (Robertson County), Franklin — 10943 — Robertson County Courthouse
On North Center Street at West Decherd Street, on the left when traveling north on North Center Street.
Erected in 1882 at a cost of $30,000, this white limestone building is the fourth to serve as Robertson County Courthouse. In 1879 the county seat had been moved for the fifth time, to Morgan, on the International & Great Northern Railroad. But . . . — Map (db m119606) HM
Texas (Robertson County), New Baden — 11754 — New Baden
On Farm to Market Road 1940 0.1 miles east of U.S. 79.
Founded by German, Prussian, and Swiss immigrants in 1881, New Baden was named for the German town of Baden-Baden. The immigrants built a central building known as the Colony House to provide lodging for families while homes were under construction. . . . — Map (db m119603) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — Fort Worth 1849-1853
On East Belknap Street at Commerce Street, on the right when traveling west on East Belknap Street.
On June 6, 1849, Major Ripley Arnold and Company F of the Second Dragoons established a military post on this site. Arnold named the post Fort Worth to honor Major General William Jenkins Worth, Commander of the Department of Texas. Worth died of . . . — Map (db m121955) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — 5195 — Tarrant County Courthouse
On East Weatherford Street, on the left when traveling east.
Designed by firm of Gunn & Curtis and built by the Probst Construction Company of Chicago, 1893-1895. This red Texas granite building, in Renaissance Revival style, closely resembles the Texas State Capitol with the exception of the clock tower. . . . — Map (db m121876) HM
Texas (Tarrant County), Fort Worth — Texas Christian University
On East Weatherford Street at Commerce Street (Business U.S. 287), on the left when traveling east on East Weatherford Street.
Texas Christian University and Fort Worth's partnership dates to 1910 although the connection began in 1869 when Ida Addison, and Randolph Clark established TCU's forerunner academy in the area known as Hell's Half Acre. The rowdiness of the area . . . — Map (db m121907) HM
Texas (Waller County), Hempstead — 8109 — Former Waller County Post Offices
On Wilkins Street, on the right when traveling east.
Before the age of modern communication, the postal system was a vital link between isolated rural settlements. Early Waller County post offices were often located in a residence or general store near the local church, gristmill, cotton gin, or . . . — Map (db m125606) HM
Texas (Waller County), Hempstead — 9388 — Hempstead, C.S.A.
On Wilkins Street, on the right when traveling east.
Front: Major Civil War center in Texas with railroad, troop training, manufacturing, and supply activity. Training camps Groce and Hebert kept troops in readiness to move by rail to Houston and thence to the coast of Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas . . . — Map (db m125608) HM
Texas (Waller County), Hempstead — 8118 — Waller County
On Austin Street (Business U.S. 290), on the right when traveling west.
Created from Austin and Grimes counties, April 28, and organized Aug. 16, 1873. Named for Edwin Waller (1800-1861), a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, 1836; Postmaster General, Texas Republic; First mayor of Austin. Site of rich . . . — Map (db m125605) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Danevang — 172 — Ansgar Evangelical Lutheran Church and Cemetery
On County Road 426 0.3 miles east of State Highway 71, on the left when traveling east.
The Danish Folk Society obtained a land option from the Texas Land and Cattle Company and helped 93 Danish families from the midwest establish the Danevang Cooperative Settlement here in the early 1890s. The settlers, strong adherents of the . . . — Map (db m120615) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Danevang — 1163 — Danevang("Danish Meadow")
On State Highway 71 north of County Road 426, on the right when traveling north.
The first successful Danish community in Texas. Established in 1894 on a portion of 25,000 acres secured through option by Danish Folk Society from Texas Land and Cattle Company. Most immigrants came first to the northern United States, where . . . — Map (db m120613) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Danevang — 12805 — Danevang Community Hall(Danevang Forsamlingshus)
On County Road 426 0.3 miles east of State Highway 71, on the left when traveling east.
The Danish community of Danevang (Danish Field) was founded in 1894, at the height of Danish emigration to the United States. The Dansk Folkesamfund (Danish Folk Society), organized in the Midwest in 1887 to preserve Danish culture, language . . . — Map (db m120614) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Danevang — Danevang Lutheran Church"A Community Church for Those Near and Far."
On County Road 426 0.3 miles east of State Highway 71, on the left when traveling east.
The church building before you was erected at Camp Hulen at Palacios, Texas at the beginning of the nineteen-forties when the nation was preparing for war. As part of a huge construction effort, which transformed a tent camp into an anti-aircraft . . . — Map (db m120611) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Danevang — Danevang Pioneer Monument
On County Road 426 0.3 miles east of State Highway 71, on the left when traveling east.
Front: Danevang 1894 - 1976 This monument was erected in honor of all the pioneers who settled Danevang. They met adversity and hardship with Christian fellowship, cooperation and hard work. They achieved their goal of a Danish community . . . — Map (db m122158) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Hungerford — 2662 — J. D. Hudgins Ranch
On Business U.S. 59 at East Railroad Street, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 59Business .
Joel Hudgins (1800-1873) of North Carolina came to the Republic of Texas in 1839 and settled in the Hungerford area. He married Rachel Ann Northington McKenzie (d. 1903) in 1847. He was elected county commissioner in 1854. After Joel's death, . . . — Map (db m124418) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Hungerford — 3588 — New York, Texas & Mexican Railroad and The Community of Hungerford
On Business U.S. 59 at East Railroad Street, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 59Business .
Attracted by the State of Texas' offer of free land to railroad developers, a charter for the New York, Texas & Mexican Railroad was secured in 1880. Its major investor, John W. Mackay, made his fortune in the Nevada silver mines. His . . . — Map (db m125417) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Hungerford — 4873 — Site of Post West Bernard Station(3.5 Mi. NW)
On Business U.S. 59 at East Railroad Street, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 59Business .
In the summer of 1837 Post West Bernard Station was established as an ordnance depot of the army of The Republic of Texas. Its location on the West Bernard River was strategic in protecting Houston, then capital of Texas, from possible invasion by . . . — Map (db m124425) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Hungerford — 4875 — Site of Quinan Community(¼ Mi. W)
On Business U.S. 59 at East Railroad Street, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 59Business .
The village of Quinan was established about 1872 on the Wharton-Richmond road. It was named for Judge George E. Quinan (1819-1893), who lived south of here on Peach Creek. A native of Ireland, Quinan served in the Texas Senate and on the state Court . . . — Map (db m124422) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Wharton — 894 — City of Wharton
On West Burleson Street at South Fulton Street, on the right when traveling east on West Burleson Street.
The town of Wharton was founded as the seat of Wharton County in April 1846. Land for a courthouse, named Monterey Square, was given from the land grant of William Kincheloe, one of Stephen F. Austin's "Old Three Hundred" colonists who settled in . . . — Map (db m120594) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Wharton — 2880 — Judge George E. Quinan(1819-1893)
On West Milam Street (State Highway 60), on the right when traveling west.
A native of Dublin, Ireland, George E. Quinan came to Texas in the 1830s. By the mid-1840s he had moved to Wharton and set up a law office near this site. He was elected district attorney in 1845. Quinan and his wife Mary Anne established a home on . . . — Map (db m120600) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Wharton — 4631 — Security Bank and Trust Company
On East Milam Street (State Highway 60) at North Fulton Street, on the right when traveling west on East Milam Street.
The Security Bank and Trust Company traces its history to the Wharton National Bank. The second banking institution to open in the city, the Wharton National Bank was organized in 1902, and closed in 1915. Following reorganization, the bank reopened . . . — Map (db m120599) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Wharton — 12293 — Site of Plaza Hotel and Plaza Theater
On South Houston Street south of West Milam Street (State Highway 60), on the right when traveling south.
Built on Wharton's Courthouse Square, the Plaza Hotel began circa 1904 as a two-story brick structure with a large dining room on the first floor and 20 rooms to let. Owned and operated by R. B. Huston and his wife Lula Merriwether Huston, the Plaza . . . — Map (db m120601) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Wharton — 4895 — Site of the Home of Robert McAlpin Williamson
On South Fulton Street south of East Milam Street (State Highway 60), on the right when traveling south.
Born in Georgia in 1806 Editor "The Texas Gazette" and "The Mexican Citizen," pioneer Texas newspapers Active in the Revolution Member of the Supreme Court of the Republic, 1836-1839 Member of Texas Legislature 1846-1849 Died . . . — Map (db m120597) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Wharton — 5775 — Wharton County
On South Fulton Street south of East Milam Street (State Highway 60), on the right when traveling south.
Wharton County Created April 3, 1846 From Matagorda, Jackson and Colorado Counties, Organized same year Named for William H. Wharton 1806-1839 Texas minister to the United States 1836-1837, and his brother John A. Wharton . . . — Map (db m120596) HM
Texas (Wharton County), Wharton — Wharton County Confederate Memorial
On West Milam Street (State Highway 60) at South Houston Street, on the left when traveling west on West Milam Street.
Front: "Lest We Forget" 1861-1865 Dedicated to the Confederate veterans of Wharton County by the J.E.B. Stuart Chapter Daughters of Confederacy Commanders of Buchel Camp Col. I.N. Dennis Capt. G.C. Duncan R.M. Brown . . . — Map (db m122254) WM
Washington (Pacific County), Chinook — Fort Columbia
On U.S. 101 at Columbia Lane, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 101.
Here was the home of the Chinook Indians and their great chief, Comcomly. Capt. Robert Gray dropped anchor near here after his discovery of the Columbia River in 1792. In the days of the fur trade this area was witness to many stirring . . . — Map (db m125769) HM

913 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 were listed. Previous 200 Next 513
Paid Advertisement