Marker Text in German:
Mozart - Museum
In diesem haus wurde
W. A. Mozart am
27. Jδnner 1756 geboren
Marker Text in English:
In this house,
W. A. Mozart was . . . — — Map (db m128670) HM
Dne 6. Května 1945
On May 6th 1945
the city of Plzeň
was liberated . . . — — Map (db m126920) WM
Created March 24, 1846,
from Houston County
Organized July 13, 1846 with
Palestine as the county seat
Named in honor of
Kenneth Lewis Anderson
Vice-President of the
Republic of Texas
1844-45 — — Map (db m128942) HM
Created by the Texas Legislature on March 24, 1846, Anderson County was named for former Republic of Texas Vice President Kenneth L. Anderson. The first court in the new county was held in a log house at nearby Fort Houston in 1846.
The first . . . — — Map (db m128934) HM
Born in Kickapoo (Anderson Co.) in 1901, Homer Garrison was the son of Mattie (Milam) and Homer Garrison, Sr. The family moved to Angelina County, where Homer, Sr. served as District Clerk. Homer, Jr. graduated from Lufkin High School and worked for . . . — — Map (db m128944) HM
Bonner Frizzell was born in the Pine Grove Community, near Athens, in 1882. He was the son of William Asachel and Frances Missouri (Knight) Frizzell. Bonner attended high school at Bruce Academy in Athens and then moved to Tyler to attend Tyler . . . — — Map (db m128978) HM
Born near Rusk in Cherokee County, Thomas Mitchell Campbell was the son of Thomas Duncan and Rachel (Moore) Campbell. He financed his education by working for the County Clerk in Longview. In 1878 Campbell was admitted to the Bar and opened his law . . . — — Map (db m128941) HM
John Henninger Reagan, son of Timothy and Elizabeth Lusk Reagan, was born on October 18, 1818, in Sevierville, Tennessee. He joined the Republic of Texas Army in 1839 and served in the Cherokee War. In the early 1840s, he held several public offices . . . — — Map (db m128981) HM
Little is known about this Anderson County pioneer until he married Elizabeth Van Winkle in Crawford County, Illinois, in 1820. The Mains lived in the Illinois township of Palestine until 1833, when, drawn by a favorable change in the Mexican . . . — — Map (db m128935) HM
A public school system in Palestine was established in 1881 under control of the municipal government. The first classes were held at the old Palestine Female Institute (built in 1858), then a high school was built in 1888 at the Institute site on . . . — — Map (db m128980) HM
P.L. Chisms devotion to education was unsurpassed. From the time of his youth, through his many years as a teacher, principal, superintendent and supervisor, he never stopped challenging himself and others for education. Purvey Lee Chism was born . . . — — Map (db m128938) HM
As a coach of athletics and a youth mentor, Robert (Bob) Knight positively influenced the lives of countless Palestine citizens. He was born in Iredell (Bosque County) in 1909, the last of eight children of William and Missouri Jane (Hand) Knight. . . . — — Map (db m128977) HM
Roy B. Wallace was born in Coolidge, Limestone County, on October 13, 1901, to Benjamin C. Wallace, Sr. And Mae McCoy Wallace. Roy attended school in rural Limestone County and attended Texas Christian University prior to earning his Bachelors . . . — — Map (db m128979) HM
Micam Main of Illinois was granted a league of land by the Mexican government in 1835. One of the area's first brickmakers, Samuel M. Warden, died while working on Main's estate on Christmas Eve in 1847. He was interred on this site. According to . . . — — Map (db m128982) HM
The Texas Prison System built a short rail line from the Rusk State Penitentiary to hardwood timber stands where charcoal was made for firing the prison's iron ore furnaces. The rail line became the foundation of the Texas State Railway, organized . . . — — Map (db m128983) HM
Born the son of a runaway slave, Smith yearned for a better life. He attended Prairie View A&M College and received a degree in Vocational Agriculture. He became a teacher, educating the children of North Carolina and Texas for 42 years. He also . . . — — Map (db m128939) HM
Born Mississippi. Came to Texas 1851. Enlisted here as private 1861. Adjutant 5th Texas Cavalry in Arizona-New Mexico Campaign to make Confederacy an ocean to ocean nation. At age 20 made captain for gallantry in Battle of Valverde. . . . — — Map (db m126753) HM
Located 80 miles west of the main pine belt of Texas, these trees probably were once part of vast, prehistoric pine forests. As land areas gradually rose, possibly due to glacier activity, most of the forests moved east. Ideal local conditions have . . . — — Map (db m126804) HM
Originated in 1820s. Crossed the present counties of Austin, Washington, Fayette, Lee, Bastrop; joined San Felipe, capital of Stephen F. Austin's colony, with Bastrop. Marked by James Gotier, a settler who (with several in his family) died in an . . . — — Map (db m126807) HM
Decisive in Texas history, was fought here, September 18, 1842. Col. Mathew Caldwell and Capt. John C. Hays, commanding a force of Texas volunteers, opposed the Mexican Army under General Adrian Woll that had captured San Antonio, and with the loss . . . — — Map (db m128119) HM
Noting the unhealthy dampness of the basement where prisoners were first kept after the Blanco County seat was moved to Johnson City, the Commissioners Court ordered the construction of this jail facility in 1893. Completed the following year, the . . . — — Map (db m126810) HM
James Franklin Barnwell was born on October 23, 1874 in Bowdon, Georgia. His family had a tradition of doctors, including his grandfather and three uncles. Following completion of his medical education at the University of Tennessee in 1896, . . . — — Map (db m126759) HM
Prominent pioneer physician, civic leader. Practiced medicine in Illinois and Kentucky before settling in Texas in 1857; moved to Blanco County in 1860. He was Civil War surgeon at Fort Mason, Tex. Served as commissioner and chief justice of Blanco . . . — — Map (db m126761) HM
A native of Georgia, James Polk Johnson came to Texas with his family and grew up in DeWitt County. Following his service in the Confederate army during the Civil War, he moved to Blanco County to join his uncles in the cattle business. He bought . . . — — Map (db m126760) HM
By the 1930s, many residents of cities across the U.S. were benefiting from the common use of electricity. However, a vast majority of rural areas lacked electric service, which compounded depression-era problems for farmers whose crop returns were . . . — — Map (db m126764) HM
Born in Alabama on August 24, 1845, James Polk Johnson was still a child when his family moved to Texas in search of a better life. As a teenager he served in the Civil War and then joined his uncles Tom and Sam Ealy Johnson in their cattle droving . . . — — Map (db m127310) HM
World War I allowed the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas to expand beyond military training and directly contribute to the war effort with staff and students volunteering for service in large numbers. Students first served for other . . . — — Map (db m126521) HM
A Confederate veteran. Captain, Co. B. 2nd Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry, Civil War. Born in Mississippi. Came to Texas, 1877. Served as county clerk after moving here, 1888.
Married Elizabeth A. Royal. One of his 5 children was U.S. Congressman . . . — — Map (db m126676) HM
A Confederate veteran.
Born in Lamar County. In Civil War, was in Co. G, Col. R.T.P. Allen's Texas Infantry, and was discharged in 1865.
On September 5, 1871, married Miss Matilda Peacock, in Lampasas County. They had 2 sons. Moved to . . . — — Map (db m126679) HM
Although Indians, Spaniards, wagon trains, and military expeditions crossed through this area earlier, the first permanent settlers in present-day Crockett County were native Texans Laura (McNutt) (1862-1941) and William Peery Hoover (1854-1922), . . . — — Map (db m126680) HM
A Confederate veteran, of 18th La. Cav. Bn., Civil War.
Born in Louisiana. Came to Texas in 1872; to Ozona, 1891. Built city's first school, first courthouse, Baptist church, other structures.
Married Alice Crimm, March 1, 1876. Had three . . . — — Map (db m126678) HM
In 1893, T.L. Hammonds moved a 3-room frame house from the nearby town of Emerald to this site. In 1894, Phillip Perner (1860-1905), a local merchant, purchased and enlarged the structure. Following Perner's death, his wife, Mary Ross . . . — — Map (db m127877) HM
Established in 1855 by the United States Government as a protection to travelers and mail on the overland route from San Antonio to San Diego. Abandoned in 1861. Reoccupied in 1868 for a short time. — — Map (db m126687) HM
Area was settled in 1822 by members of Stephen F. Austin's colony, who first called their community "Fort Settlement." Earliest known burial was made by Wm. Morton, who donated land for Morton Cemetery. Town was formally laid out 1837 by land . . . — — Map (db m126518) HM
Came to Texas from Georgia, 1838. Clerk, Republic of Texas State Department. Prominent Fort Bend County planter, lawyer, district judge and legislator.
Served as one of the speakers of Texas House of Representatives in critical Civil War years, . . . — — Map (db m126513) HM
This square was deeded in 1838 to Fort Bend County by Robert E. Handy and William Lusk, founders of Richmond. It was site of 1850-1871 and 1888-1909 courthouses.
Completed here 1888 was a two-story brick Victorian courthouse with bell tower and . . . — — Map (db m126515) HM
Most famous scout in Texas War for Independence. Obeyed Gen. Sam Houston's strategic order, then raised San Jacinto Battle Cry: "Fight for your lives! Vince's Bridge has been cut down."
A native of New York, Smith settled in 1821 in San . . . — — Map (db m126519) HM
Henry Schumacher (1832-1901), a native of Germany, opened one of the first cottonseed oil mills in this region in 1873, assembling the machinery with only the aid of an old encyclopedia. The oil works produced cottonseed oil, meal, and cake, and . . . — — Map (db m126532) HM
Born in Maryland in 1798, Jane H. Wilkinson moved to Mississippi (1811) and became the ward of her famous relative, Gen. James Wilkinson, field commander of the United States Army. Jane married Dr. James Long in 1815 and later followed him on a . . . — — Map (db m126517) HM
Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar The Father of Education in Texas Born in Georgia August 16, 1798 Founded the Columbus Enquirer Came to Texas in 1836 He commanded the cavalry at the Battle of San Jacinto Served successively as Secretary of War, . . . — — Map (db m126864) HM
Organized in 1850, the Morton Masonic Lodge was chartered on January 24, 1851. Named for "Old 300" colonist and Mason William Morton, the Lodge began with twenty charter members. The first lodge hall, located on Jackson Street, was replaced in 1855 . . . — — Map (db m126524) HM
Born in Virginia 1808, reared in Georgia. Fought in Texas War for Independence, 1836, under James W. Fannin at Refugio Mission. Captured at Goliad, was spared to repair guns for Mexican Army. Escaped during Battle of San Jacinto.
Settled in . . . — — Map (db m126526) HM
Born a slave in North Carolina, Walter Moses Burton was brought to Texas about 1860. At the end of the Civil War, he purchased land from his former owner, Thomas B. Burton, from whom he had also learned to read and write. Walter Burton became a . . . — — Map (db m126527) HM
Born 1798 in Georgia. Came to Texas 1835. Became involved immediately in movement for independence from Mexico. Upon fall of the Alamo and news of Goliad Massacre, joined Texas Army as a private, as Houston moved eastward toward San Jacinto.
In . . . — — Map (db m126520) HM
Steel shortages during World War I led the U.S. to build experimental concrete ships, the largest of which was the SS Selma, today partially submerged in Galveston Bay and visible from this site. It was built in Mobile, Alabama, and named to . . . — — Map (db m127633) HM
Virginia-born B. M. Temple served in the Confederate army during the Civil War (1861-1865), then moved west to begin a noted career in civil engineering. As Chief Engineer for the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe Railroad, 1879-1884, he . . . — — Map (db m127583) HM
A man of strong principle who carried a gun in one pocket and a Bible in the other, Burnet acted as a cohesive force in the chaotic days of early Texas independence, though his dour, quick-tempered disposition kept him from ever winning wide . . . — — Map (db m127628) HM
A veteran of the War of 1812, David Ayers brought his family to Texas in 1833. On behalf of the American Bible Society, they distributed bibles to new settlers. Settling first in San Patricio, Ayers moved to Washington County, where he became a . . . — — Map (db m127585) HM
Unregulated entry of immigrants through the Port of Galveston in the late 1830s greatly contributed to local outbreaks of yellow fever and other communicable diseases. The young city instituted quarantine measures in 1839 and in 1853 built Texas' . . . — — Map (db m127634) HM
From the time of the earliest documented history, the Gulf of Mexico has been the main point of entry into Texas. Some settlers of the 1820s even came by keelboat, going ashore along the way to kill game, in the same way an overland party would live . . . — — Map (db m127635) HM
Virginia native Dr. Greensville S. Dowell moved to Texas in 1853. During the Civil War he served as a surgeon in the Confederate army in Galveston. He was instrumental in the founding of the Galveston Medical Society, Texas Medical College and . . . — — Map (db m127582) HM
After coming to Texas from Virginia about 1838, John Trueheart received a land grant for his service with Jack Hays' Rangers. He then began a partnership in a Galveston General Land Agency with Memucan Hunt and returned to Virginia for his wife Anne . . . — — Map (db m127581) HM
Born in Georgetown, South Carolina, Levi Charles Meyers Harby was the son of Solomon Harby and Rebecca (Moses) Harby. During the War of 1812, Levi served in the U.S. Navy. He was commissioned as a midshipman and stationed at Charleston. After the . . . — — Map (db m127578) HM
Native South Carolinian, Sergeant in Seminole War, lawyer, member Texas Legislature, an ardent secessionist as United States Senator from 1859 to 1861, visited Fort Sumter with surrender demand as aide to General Beauregard, member Confederate . . . — — Map (db m127526) HM
Leon Dyer was born Feist Emanuel Heim (Haim) on Oct. 2, 1807 in Mayene, Germany, to John Maximilian and Isabella (Babette) Nachmann Dyer. The family immigrated to the U.S. around 1812 and settled in Baltimore where they began a meat packing . . . — — Map (db m127579) HM
A native of Canada, Michel B. Menard came to Texas in 1829. He lived in Nacogdoches and Liberty before settling in Galveston in 1833. He was one of the signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence in 1836, and later represented Galveston in the . . . — — Map (db m127531) HM
In 1838 New Jersey native Nahor Biggs Yard arrived in the new town of Galveston and built one of the city's first residences. Yard enjoyed success in business but is best remembered for his distinguished civic and military career. He served as city . . . — — Map (db m127524) HM
Nicholas Descomps Labadie was born in Canada in 1802. In Missouri, he trained for the priesthood and later changed to the study of medicine. In 1831, he moved to Texas, serving as post surgeon at Anahuac. He served in the Second Regiment of Texas . . . — — Map (db m127532) HM
In memory of
Samuel May Williams
Born in Providence, R. I.
October 4, 1795
Died in Galveston, Texas
September 13, 1858
Sarah Scott Williams
Born in Kentucky
December 7, 1807
Died in Galveston, Texas . . . — — Map (db m127525) HM
Born Heinrich P. Jung in Germany in 1817, the Rev. Henry P. Young began a Methodist ministry in Galveston in 1846. That year he founded the first Society of German Methodists in Texas. From 1849 to 1855 he rode a mission circuit of German colonies . . . — — Map (db m127632) HM
North Carolina native Warren DeWitt Clinton Hall was an early immigrant to Texas who took part in several military expeditions against Spain and Mexico. He served as acting Secretary of War for the Republic of Texas at the time of the Battle of San . . . — — Map (db m127530) HM
Served in the Texas Army, 1836.
Purchased the Galveston News
1843. Born in New Haven, N. Y.
January 4, 1820; Died June 12, 1873.
Born in Sligo, Ireland, February
22, 1826; Died . . . — — Map (db m127587) HM
Born in Connecticut. Moved to Texas in 1829. Took part in Texas Revolution, participating in Siege of Bexar, 1835. Served as aide to Stephen F. Austin, "The Father of Texas" (a distant relative), Gens. Edward Burleson and Sam Houston. Commander at . . . — — Map (db m127631) HM
Born in Lumpkin County, Georgia, in 1830, William B. Fleming came to Texas before 1850 where he enlisted in Company C of the Texas Rangers Mounted Volunteers and later the Confederate Army during the Civil War. After the war, Fleming moved to . . . — — Map (db m128145) HM
Established about 1850 by Miles G. Dikes (1804-1872). An original member of DeWitt Colony, Dikes emigrated from Georgia in 1829. In 1839 , married Eady Hodges (1810-1868). First known burial, in 1859, was Dikes' son, Lovic. Cemetery contains 20 . . . — — Map (db m128147) HM
In the 1890s, children of families living in the Cost community, originally known as Oso, attended area schools that were part of the White School District No. 38 and County School District No. 38-1/2 to the east. By 1903, the county built the Cost . . . — — Map (db m128148) HM
Site of the home to which two of the survivors of the Alamo returned, March 13, 1836. Susanna Dickinson, with her infant daughter, brought news of fall of Alamo into Mexican hands (March 6) and of the death of its heroic defenders from Gonzales, . . . — — Map (db m128171) HM
On March 11, 1836, Sam Houston, leader of Texas Revolutionary Forces, arrived here to organize the second volunteer army.
On March 13, he heard of the massacre of Alamo defenders and that the Mexican army was advancing toward Gonzales. He . . . — — Map (db m128172) HM
Green DeWitt in 1825 appointed James Kerr to select and survey the capital for DeWitt's Mexican land grant colony. Kerr named the capital Gonzales for Don Rafael Gonzales, Governor of Coahuila and Texas.
This was central square in 49-block . . . — — Map (db m128166) HM
This block of the inner town of Gonzales was set aside in original plans of surveyor James Kerr for religious uses. Kerr's plans were approved by Don Rafael Gonzales the Provisional Governor of Coahuila and Texas. This block is still used for . . . — — Map (db m128168) HM
On this site
September 29, 1835
the Mexican government troops
demanded the return of
the Gonzales cannon.
After two days delay,
awaiting recruits, the colonists
answered, "Come and Take It." — — Map (db m128151) HM
On this site
September 29, 1835
the Gonzales cannon was buried
from the 150 Mexican Dragoons
sent to demand it.
Two days later it was mounted
on ox-cart wheels, loaded with
chains and scrap iron, and fired
at the Mexican Army, the . . . — — Map (db m128170) HM
The commission created by the Texas Legislature in 1935 to oversee Texas' centennial joined with the Public Works Administration to build a memorial to Texas Revolution events in Gonzales. The memorial includes a museum, amphitheatre and reflecting . . . — — Map (db m128176) HM
Green (1787-1835) and Sarah (Seely) (1789-1854) Dewitt moved their family from Missouri to Texas in 1826 after he successfully petitioned the Mexican government for an Empresario Grant to settle 400 Anglo-Americans on lands southwest of Stephen F. . . . — — Map (db m128149) HM
First mapped in 1825 as "Market Square," but had become "Jail Square" prior to 1836 when Gonzales was burned by order of Gen. San Houston to prevent buildings and supplies falling into possession of oncoming enemy, Gen. Santa Anna. — — Map (db m128167) HM
Gonzales town tract of 4 square leagues had 49 squares in inner city - 7 of these squares for public use. This one was for municipal buildings, but became plaza.
Now called Texas Heroes Square, in honor of all Gonzales men who fought in the . . . — — Map (db m128169) HM
Stricken with news of the fall of the Alamo and threatened by a massive Mexican army, Sam Houston gathered the nucleus of a Texan army here, issued orders to burn this town (to hinder the Mexicans) and marched east, March 13, 1836. He won Victory at . . . — — Map (db m128177) HM
1/8 mile north is
Sam Houston Oak
where General Sam Houston
established his headquarters camp
March 13, 1836
after burning the town of Gonzales
Under this oak his
small army was joined by
many volunteers from the
eastern . . . — — Map (db m128178) HM
Extending from this point
one-quarter mile west is
Santa Anna Mound
formerly De Witt Mound
now site De Witt Family Cemetery.
Here Mexican troops camped
between September 29 and
October 1, 1835, awaiting delivery
of the Gonzales . . . — — Map (db m128152) HM
Who with her daughter
made the first battle flag of Texas
used by the colonists in the
Battle of Gonzales, October 2, 1835
Born in Virginia, 1789
came to Texas in 1826
with her husband
Green De Witt, Empresario,
and their . . . — — Map (db m128150) HM
An Indian raid July 2, 1826, left one Gonzales settler dead, another shot, homes plundered. Settlers fled to Burnham Station on the Colorado, or moved to Lavaca River. In 1827 DeWitt's colonists were ordered back here.
On this lot they built a . . . — — Map (db m128173) HM
In Memory of the Immortal 32 Gonzales men and boys who, on March 1, 1836 fought their way into the beleaguered Alamo to die with Colonel William B. Travis for the Liberty of Texas. They were the last and only reinforcements to arrive in answer to . . . — — Map (db m128175) HM
To the Women
whose hearts bled, whose
hands healed, whose pride
was crucified, yet who
were never conquered by
the bitterness of war
nor the devastation of
To their glorious memory . . . — — Map (db m128349) WM
Organized November 11, 1844. Baptist General Convention of Texas organized here in 1848. Twenty-three of Texas' thirty-four Baptist churches were represented. Present building was constructed with native rock by slave labor and finished in 1855. . . . — — Map (db m128637) HM
Settlers mostly from the Lower South (Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, Georgia) settled this part of Grimes County near John's Creek. By the late 19th century, Blackberry became a largely African-American settlement. Most families raised livestock . . . — — Map (db m128635) HM
The first recorded visit of a Catholic priest to Plantersville occurred in the summer of 1860. Infrequent worship services subsequently were held at the home of James Kelly Markey until the first church building was constructed in 1873.
An . . . — — Map (db m128636) HM
Where 80 volunteers commanded by General Edward Burleson defeated Vicente Cordova and 75 Mexicans, Indians and Negroes, March 29, 1839, and drove them from Texas, ending the "Cordova Rebellion." 25 of the enemy were killed. Many volunteers were . . . — — Map (db m128126) HM
Home Town of Texas Confederate
Colonel John Ireland
Delegate to Secession Convention 1861. Joined army as private. Won laurels in that most brilliant wartime effort - the defense of the 800-mile Texas coast in September . . . — — Map (db m128121) HM
Gonzales and Bexar counties
Created March 30, 1846. Organized July 13,1846
Named for the Guadalupe River
to which this name was given
by Alonso De Leon
Seguin, the county seat
named in honor of
Juan Nepomuceno . . . — — Map (db m128120) HM
Two local companies of volunteers were with Ben McCulloch in San Antonio, Feb. 16, 1861 when U.S. Arsenal was surrounded by Texans and surrender demanded. An encounter in a charged atmosphere which could have become the first . . . — — Map (db m128122) HM
Born in San Fernando de Bexar (San Antonio), son of Erasmo Seguin, whose ancestors came to America about 1700. Juan N. Seguin and his father in 1834 rallied fellow Texans against dictator Santa Anna. Young Juan Seguin raised Mexican-Texan troops, . . . — — Map (db m128124) HM
Named for Theodore Tiemann, who sold one acre of land to the county school district for $5.00, Tiemann School provided educational, cultural, and recreational opportunities for citizens in this area. Beginning in 1903 as a one-room, one-teacher . . . — — Map (db m128125) HM
Commanded (The Kentucky Volunteers) Company A, First Regiment at San Jacinto
Died at Houston, June 7, 1854
Erected by The State of Texas
"It is my desire that my body be buried on the battle grounds of San Jacinto . . . — — Map (db m126244) HM
Born in Tennessee in 1801
Died From an accidental
wound April 30, 1836 at
the home of Lorenzo DeZavala
Erected by The State
Signer of the Texas
Declaration of Independence
First . . . — — Map (db m126262) HM
Lorenzo De Zavala
Born October 3, 1789
Died De Zavala's Point
November 15, 1836
First Vice President
Republic of Texas
Erected by the State
Member of Consultation . . . — — Map (db m126265) HM
Dedicated to the memory of the men who fought in the Battle of San Jacinto and later fought in the Army of the Confederacy
Andrew Jackson Berry, Henry P. Brewster, Sion Record Bostic, Moses Austin Bryan, Rev. Anderson Buffington, Thos. . . . — — Map (db m126246) WM
Roster Company No. 6
James Gillaspie Captain
Matthew Finch 1st. Lieut.
A. L. Harrison 2nd. Lieut.
R. H. Chadduck 1st. Sgt.
G. Grosby - J. S. Darling - Fielding Dedrick
W. L. Ellis - Hezekiah Faris - Wm. Ferrell
Wm. . . . — — Map (db m126245) WM
Plaque on Front of Marker:
This heritage live oak, planted as a living memorial, marks the site of surrender of Mexican President Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna to Sam Houston, Commander-in-Chief of the Army of Texas. Dedicated to the heroes of . . . — — Map (db m126006) HM
Two Days Before the Battle
This morning we are in preparation to meet Santa Anna. It is the only chance of saving Texas. From time to time I have looked for reinforcements in vain: We will only have about seven hundred men to . . . — — Map (db m126243) HM WM
In 1857 Albert Holley (b. 1828), his mother and two brothers, migrated to Houston County from Alabama. While the others journeyed to Texas by boat, he brought the family's supplies overland by wagon with 137 slaves. By 1860 he and his wife Julia . . . — — Map (db m128926) HM
In 1886 the Board of Missions for Freedmen of the Presbyterian Church in the United States, under the leadership of the group's secretary the Rev. Richard Allen, began planning for the establishment of a black girls' school in Texas. After a . . . — — Map (db m128933) HM
Named for William F. Barnhart, an agent of the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railroad, this community was founded in 1910. During the 1920s and 1930s it was a major freighting center and considered by many the largest inland livestock shipping . . . — — Map (db m126169) HM
Dove Creek Battle
On January 8, 1865 eight miles east of here Confederate troops and Texas militiamen engaged a large party of Kickapoo Indians. The Indians, formerly hostile to the South, had entered Texas without authority . . . — — Map (db m126176) HM
Created March 7, 1889
Organized April 16, 1889
Named in honor of
Robert Anderson Irion
Came to Texas in 1833 and
located at Nacogdoches
Member of the first Texas
Secretary of State in the
Cabinet of . . . — — Map (db m126172) HM
First permanent courthouse for Irion County, locally organized 1889. Replaced temporary housing in several buildings. Site was gift of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Ripley. Contractors: Martin and Moody. Stone was quarried nearby.
Courthouse was used for . . . — — Map (db m126175) HM
James B. Dosher moved to Texas in 1847 and served in Cureton's Company of the Texas Rangers. Discharged in 1848, he married Velma Eddings in 1851. They settled in Jack County in early 1855 and worked their farm south of Jacksboro. Dosher also served . . . — — Map (db m127639) HM
This hotel was built in 1910 by Mamie Cornellia Neyland Patten (1868-1936) and named for her daughters Belle and "Miss Jim". Mrs. Patten and her four children were active in Jasper civic and social activities. After her mother died, Miss Jim took . . . — — Map (db m128584) HM
Included in the Empresario grant to Lorenzo de Zavala in 1829.
Created the municipality of Bevil in 1834, in honor of John Bevil, early settler.
Name changed by the provisional government of Texas, December 3, 1835 . . . — — Map (db m128583) HM
Jasper County was one of the original twenty-three counties created when the Republic of Texas was established in 1836 following the Texas Revolution. Bevil Settlement, established by pioneer John Bevil about 1824, became the seat of government and . . . — — Map (db m128582) HM
Communication, transportation, supply and military center in Civil War Texas. Voted 315 to 25 in favor of secession. Crossed by Texas troops in the 1862-64 Louisiana campaigns to prevent split of the South and invasion of Texas. Confederate Army ran . . . — — Map (db m128547) HM
In a time of segregated activities including sports, logging contractor Elmer Simmons organized the Jasper Steers, an African American baseball team. Simmons bought all bleachers, lighting, dressing rooms and concession stands from a defunct . . . — — Map (db m128585) HM
The origins of public schools in Boerne date to 1873, when the Boerne Gesangenverein donated land on which to erect a schoolhouse. A two-room stone building was completed in 1874 and served children in all grades. A small frame building was added to . . . — — Map (db m128111) HM
This structure was built in the late 1880s as a residence for German native William Kuhlmann (1856-1918), a successful pharmacist and landholder. He sold the home in 1908 to Selina Long King (1831-1910), whose sons . . . — — Map (db m128114) HM
The first Episcopal worship service in Kendall County was held in the Old Kuhfuss Hall in Boerne in 1873. St. Helena's congregation was organized by Bishop R. W. B. Elliott in 1881, and a small wooden church structure was erected on this site. By . . . — — Map (db m128110) HM
In 1866 Bishop Claude M. Dubuis of Galveston sent a young French immigrant, Emil L. J. R. Fleury, to organize a congregation and build a church to serve Boerne and the outlying towns and army posts. This stone structure was completed in 1867. . . . — — Map (db m128115) HM
Started in 1850's by Raleigh Gentry, who built a 2-room log house; cleared a small farm, but in 1862 sold out to cattlemen Rance Moore. 1860's settlers included Wm. and Lane Gibson, Charlie Jones, John New, A. J. Nixon, Billie Waites.
Others . . . — — Map (db m126199) HM
Brambletye was built between 1895 and 1900 by English immigrant William Hall (b. 1833), who came to Texas in 1888. After Hall's death in 1900, the stone house and surrounding ranchland were owned by several early ranch families. Prominently sited on . . . — — Map (db m126197) HM
County seat of Kimble County. Townsite platted 1876 (year of county organization) as "Denman" Soon had named changed by voters to denote site at confluence of North and South Llano Rivers. Growth was steady. By 1882 had 300 people, a courthouse, . . . — — Map (db m126775) HM
Opened 1866 by Nick and Jennie (Blackwell) Coalson, who moved from Menard area. Stockraising and hunting provided livelihood. Their "bacon" was cured bear meat.
Indians often stole horses, and in Dec. 1870 attacked cabin when Coalson and . . . — — Map (db m126205) HM
Henry and Adam Murr, born in Lancaster County, Pa. sons of Mr. and Mrs. John Murr, served 1866-1882 and 1877-1882, respectively, in the United States Army. After his honorable discharge at Fort McKavett (28 mi NW), Henry settled here on Bear Creek; . . . — — Map (db m126201) HM
Across the street, south, was the first building erected to house the Junction post office.
Junction's first postmaster, Mrs. Harriet Kountz, appointed 1876, at first kept the mail in her home. In 1879, her husband Dr. Ezekiel Kountz, built a . . . — — Map (db m126776) HM
Jumano and Apache Indians inhabited region when Spanish explorers traveled across it in the 17th and 18th centuries, and were displaced by the Comanche tribe by the mid-19th century. Area was under military jurisdiction of Forts Terrett . . . — — Map (db m126778) HM
350 yards southwest stands a small rock house built in 1881 by settler Meliton Morales (1837-1924).
Born in Mexico, Morales was kidnapped by Indians as a youth and spent 9 years in captivity.
Moved to Texas in 1855. Came . . . — — Map (db m126203) HM
Author, attorney and politician Ovie Clark Fisher (1903-1994) was born at the Kimble County ranch home of his parents, Jobe and Rhoda (Clark) Fisher. He graduated from Junction High School and received a law degree from Baylor University. He married . . . — — Map (db m126782) HM
Built for general merchandise of G. W. Ragsdill, who owned and operated a nearby hotel and wagon yard.
Later used for many other businesses. The top floor has been hall for W.O.W., A.F.& A. M. and I.O.O.F. Lodges, and in 1912 a movie. . . . — — Map (db m126780) HM
Busiest spot in early Junction. Fed and housed visiting ranch teams. Had horses and buggies for public hire. Men collected here to gossip, trade.
Built 1879 by John Allen on this lot where public corral operated as early as 1877. Owned by T. M. . . . — — Map (db m126781) HM
The community of Roosevelt began with the establishment of a post office in 1898. Although Alice Wagner applied for the post office with another name, the postal service in Washington substituted the name Roosevelt presumably in honor of Theodore . . . — — Map (db m128103) HM
Supply line from U.S. Army headquarters in San Antonio to Fort Terrett, 1852-1854.
In the 1850's two-thirds of Texas was held by Comanches or threatened by raids. Posts such as Fort Terrett stood from Red River to the Rio Grande, for . . . — — Map (db m126209) HM
Jan. 1, 1863 --- Jan. 1, 1914
In commemorating the 50th anniversary of the capture of Galveston by the Southern Confederacy. Gen. Arthur P. Bagby commanding the "Neptune."
Banners may be furled but heroism lives forever.
Capt. J. T. . . . — — Map (db m128143) HM WM
Oldest bank in Lavaca County; has operated in this city block continuously since its establishment by Friench Simpson (1848-1923) and Carey Shaw (1854-1944), former employees of the J. H. Simpson Bank, Columbus. Shaw was also one of the original . . . — — Map (db m128141) HM
Fifth structure to serve as seat of justice for Lavaca, created originally as "La Baca", a judicial county, by Congress of Republic of Texas in 1842. Declared unconstitutional along with other judicial counties, it was created anew by First . . . — — Map (db m128140) HM
Edward M. Rabb (1855-1908) a native of La Grange, Fayette County, Texas, was the son of William and Prudence Smalley Rabb. In the 1880s Dr. Edward M. Rabb settled in this area and purchased 2089 acres of land from S. W. Campbell.
At his death, . . . — — Map (db m128142) HM
The Methodist Episcopal Church, South, of Shiner, Texas, was organized on November 1, 1887, in the office of L. P. Amsler, Shiner's first mayor. The Rev. C. C. Armstrong presided over the first service.
In 1889 local rancher David Kokernot . . . — — Map (db m128138) HM
The first Catholic school in Shiner was built in 1896 by Scherbohm and Mewes, contractors. The two story French style frame building housed two classrooms, a dining room and kitchen on the first floor, and a residence for the Sisters on the second . . . — — Map (db m128137) HM
Sarah Howard suffered much at the savagery of the Texas wilderness. Born in Illinois, Sarah came to Texas with her husband, John McSherry, in 1828. The next year, John was killed near their home by Indians. Sarah later married John Hibbens, but . . . — — Map (db m128139) HM
Founded 1876, with thirteen charter members, under the direction of Rev. H. B. Burr and Rev. R. H. Byers.
Edifice designed and built in 1886 by the ruling elder, Frank Morris. Annex constructed in 1952. Oldest church building in Giddings in . . . — — Map (db m126748) HM
Built by August W. Schubert, 1879. Bought 1894 by Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod, to house a ministerial college, which closed prior to 1900. Sold to Baylis J. Fletcher, Lee County Treasurer and legislator. Presently owned by the Fletcher family. . . . — — Map (db m126747) HM
Milton Garrett York was born in East Texas (San Augustine County) on Sept. 5, 1843. After the death of his parents, Aaron and Ruth (Lucas) York, he went to live with an uncle in Arkansas. Milton returned to Texas about 1860 and briefly taught school . . . — — Map (db m126746) HM
Dayton began as part of the City of Liberty. The children who lived here were either educated at home, across the river in the main part of Liberty, or not at all. In 1849, a board of trustees formed a committee to establish a school for these . . . — — Map (db m128338) HM
Methodist worship services were conducted in West Liberty, later known as Dayton, as early as 1855. By 1900 the First Methodist Church had a full-time pastor, the Rev. G. T. Newberry, who conducted services in the Dayton schoolhouse on North Main . . . — — Map (db m128339) HM
Famous flight of Texians to escape Santa Anna's invading Mexican army. Tales of the Alamo butchery on March 6, 1836, and the continuing retreat of Gen. Sam Houston's army prompted colonists to abandon homes and property and seek refuge in east . . . — — Map (db m128333) HM
Originally one of the five squares platted for public use in 1831 by J. Francisco Madero, General Land Commissioner appointed by the Mexican government to survey and grant long-awaited land titles to Texan colonists of the Atascosito area in . . . — — Map (db m128337) HM
Generals Charles Lallemand,
Antoine Rigaud, the veterans
of the Napoleonic Wars and
other French settlers,
who, after many trials and adventures, came to Texas in the spring of 1818 to found on the banks of the Trinity River the . . . — — Map (db m128335) HM
Following the decisive Battle of San Jacinto in the Texas War for Independence, most of the Mexicans captured in the battle were taken to Galveston. Problems concerning a lack of provisions and the threat of attack persuaded Texas President David G. . . . — — Map (db m128334) HM
As the longest river with its drainage basin entirely within Texas, the Trinity River's watershed covers 18,000 square miles flowing 715 river miles through 37 Texas counties. Native Americans referred to the Trinity as the Arkikosa or . . . — — Map (db m128336) HM
Came to Texas 1830. Secretary of State, Nov. 1835-Feb. 1836. Signed Declaration of Independence; helped to write Constitution of the Republic in 1836 and the State in 1845; served Montgomery County as District Attorney and three terms as State . . . — — Map (db m128592) HM
Built in 1845, this frame structure was first used for the law office and living quarters of Judge Nat Hart Davis. Many young attorneys read law here under Judge Davis' supervision. From 1848 to 1854 the structure was the meeting place for the Mayor . . . — — Map (db m128598) HM
One of first state banks in Texas. Chartered Dec. 11, 1906, it began operations in a frame building on lot south of here. Present building was finished 1908 and is now oldest existing commercial building in this once-thriving trade center. As the . . . — — Map (db m128597) HM
Born in New York City, John Marshall Wade left his home as a youth. On the advice of Sam Houston, he came to Texas in 1835 from the Western Creek Nation in present-day Oklahoma. He joined the Texas army during the War for Independence. At the Battle . . . — — Map (db m128624) HM
Long before the arrival of Stephen F. Austin's colonists, the Coushatta Indians traveled through the lands that would become the Lake Creek Settlement upon the Coushatta Trace, a trade road from Louisiana into Texas. Located in Austin's second . . . — — Map (db m128602) HM
Isaac L.G. Strickland
1839 - 1840
Born in Maryland
Sept. 29, 1768
Died Robinson Settlement
July 11, . . . — — Map (db m128625) HM
Baptists in Montgomery organized a fellowship in 1850 and purchased land at this site the same year. In 1853, the Rev. Thomas Chilton became the church's first full-time pastor. This vernacular Gothic revival sanctuary was constructed in 1902, . . . — — Map (db m128603) HM
A wealthy farm area in 1861. In Civil War, supported Texas with goods, funds and men. 2 companies from here were in famed Hood's Texas Brigade; one company had only 9 men living by 1865. Young boys, old men and the partially disabled formed 5 home . . . — — Map (db m128595) HM
Home of Judge N. H. Davis and wife, Sarah E. White. Built 1851, from 1831 log house received as legal fee. Kitchen area attached 1880.
Texanna Snow's school here 1881-1891. J. F. Davis added south wing in 1895.
Still in family. . . . — — Map (db m128600) HM
Born in Appomattox County, Va., son of Reuben DeJarnette and Martha P. (Christian) Palmer; he was educated at Randolph-Macon College. Moved to Texas in 1856.
A Montgomery lawyer; served in 9th Legislature, State of Texas, and in Secession . . . — — Map (db m128620) HM
Isaac L.G. Strickland established a Methodist congregation in Montgomery in 1838, under the direction of Elder Littleton Fowler of the Mississippi Methodist Conference. The church was one of the first in the Republic of Texas; Strickland was . . . — — Map (db m128605) HM
In Jan. 1839, the Rev. Isaac Strickland organized a Methodist Church whose members soon built a log meetinghouse on this site donated by founders of the town of Montgomery. The churchyard came into use for burials during the 1840s. When Pastor G. W. . . . — — Map (db m128618) HM
Problems with transporting farm crops to market, along with the growing importance of rail transportation were major factors that prompted area businessmen to organize the Central and Montgomery (C&M) Railroad in 1877. Completed by 1880, the C&M . . . — — Map (db m128627) HM
Founded in July, 1837 by
W. W. Shepherd
Incorporated in 1848
Montgomery County was created
December 14, 1837
James Mitchell, Pleasant Gray,
William Robinson, Elijah Collard
Charles Barnett, Joseph L. Bennet
Dr. B. B. Goodrich, D. D. . . . — — Map (db m128594) HM
Following the Civil War, area farmers found the climate and soil conditions of Montgomery County were ideal for the production of tobacco. The varieties grown here were of the highest quality, winning international awards in Chicago and Paris. At . . . — — Map (db m127478) HM
Founded in 1870. Named for P. J. and R. S. Willis (large land and timber owners who formerly were merchants in area). They gave townsite, on the Houston & Great Northern Railroad. With the line came prosperity, and in 1874 Willis and Montgomery vied . . . — — Map (db m127477) HM
This Courthouse was preceded by one built in Burkeville in 1848, and another erected on this public square in 1853. It is a Second Empire style edifice, with an unusual truncated clock tower, mansard roof, and corner quoins, built in 1902-03 by . . . — — Map (db m128586) HM
By 1941, the U.S. military was painfully aware of its unpreparedness to combat the modern mechanized armies in Europe. To increase its combat effectiveness, the U.S. Army conducted the Louisiana maneuvers, which included 3,400 square miles of Texas. . . . — — Map (db m128588) HM
Located in the easternmost county of Texas, this town was little more than a forest of oaks and beeches when laid out in 1853. Due to its central location, it was elected county seat the same year, winning over Burkeville, the former county seat. . . . — — Map (db m128587) HM
Formerly W. H. Ford Male & Female College (1889-1906). Named for Secretary of the Southwest College Company. President Joseph Syler and his wife were the teachers.
High-school level, as were many early Texas "colleges"; founded . . . — — Map (db m128589) HM
Georgia native William Blewett came to Texas with his family in 1849. They settled first in Jasper County, where he was District Surveyor about 1853. He married a cousin, Nancy Adams; they later became the parents of 6 children. In 1858 they moved . . . — — Map (db m128590) HM
Alabama and Coushatta Indians of Polk County were trained as cavalrymen in 1861 by Indian Agent Robert R. Neyland as the war between the states advanced. In April 1862, nineteen Alabama and Coushatta, including Chief John Scott, enlisted in the . . . — — Map (db m128580) HM
Built 1870. First structure moved to new Coldsprings after fire destroyed first courthouse, 1915. A new town site was selected. The San Jacinto County Abstract Co. was housed in this building many years. County's first telephone was installed here. . . . — — Map (db m128921) HM
Born in Georgia, where he fought in Indian Wars, was a merchant, and member of State Legislature. In 1839, he moved with family to Texas, settling in this area. He was a member of 6th Congress of the Republic of Texas, 1841-1842; a delegate to the . . . — — Map (db m128922) HM
During the ownership of rancher J. D. Earnest, this site was used as a rest stop on the stage line between San Angelo and Sonora. Owned and managed by Theodore Jackson Savell (1872-1954), the operation began providing mail and passenger service to . . . — — Map (db m126221) HM
Has traces of culture at least 20,000 years old, occupied by Apache Indians up to founding of Fort Terrett, 1852. Anglo-Texan settlement began 1879 at Sonora, a trading post on San Antonio-El Paso Road.
Created April 1, 1887, from land then in . . . — — Map (db m126223) HM
On Nov. 23 1929, a group of Greek residents in San Angelo made the first attempt to organize the Greek community in the area by creating the "Hellenic Educational Society 'The Platon'" or "Platon Society." This society was intended to establish a . . . — — Map (db m128097) HM
In the 1880s, Jews were well established in the Concho Valley and met for religious observance although they did not have a formal building. By 1926, there were approx 35 Jewish families and individuals in San Angelo, and procedures to erect a . . . — — Map (db m128098) HM
The first Baptist missionary efforts in this area began in 1881 with Dr. Owen C. Pope and the Rev. L. R. Millican, who became noted for their work on the Texas frontier. Although it is not known exactly when this congregation was organized, a . . . — — Map (db m128100) HM
In 1909, San Angelo had a population of 15,000 and no hospital to serve the needs of its people. That year the San Angelo Business Club, forerunner of the Chamber of Commerce, appealed to the Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word of San Antonio . . . — — Map (db m128102) HM
Led 5th Texas Cavalry Battle Val Verde
in Arizona-New Mexico Campaign 1861
1862 Commanded "Cotton Clad" carrying
cavalrymen dubbed "Horse Marines" in
recapture Galveston January 1863. Made
Brigadier General while leading . . . — — Map (db m126723) HM
Richard Franklin Tankersley was born June 23, 1828, in Georgia
and married Annie Allen of Aberdeen, Mississippi, in 1848. They moved to Texas and in 1864 established a home as ranchers on Spring Creek. Soon land in the area began to be sold for . . . — — Map (db m128096) HM
This congregation dates from summer 1929, when Czech-speaking Brethren families from Granger, Taylor and Rowena moved here. Early services were held in worshipers' homes. In fall 1929, an unused Methodist church in Wall became the place of worship. . . . — — Map (db m128099) HM
A plantation home built in 1853 by Leonard W. Groce. The scene for many years of lavish Southern hospitality. Purchased March 4, 1873, by Dr. Edmund Duncan Montgomery (1835-1911), world-famed philosopher, and his wife, Elisabet Ney (1833-1907), . . . — — Map (db m126528) HM
Named for Spanish grandee who was first owner of the 5-league survey here.
Leonard W. Groce, a settler, in 1853 built this 16-room home using slave labor. Bricks for foundation and chimneys were made from Brazos Valley clay.
The kitchen . . . — — Map (db m126529) HM