Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

1040 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 840
 
Rogers Island Marker image, Touch for more information
By John Farrell, March 28, 2009
Rogers Island Marker
Kentucky (Harrison County), Cynthiana — 2312 — 1st Battle of Cynthiana / 2nd Battle of Cynthiana
(Front):1st Battle of CynthianaDuring CSA Col. John H. Morgan’s 1st KY Raid, on July 17, 1862, 875 CSA hit town via the Georgetown Pike. 350 US troops & Home Guard defended town from houses. Morgan attacked across Licking River and . . . — Map (db m35858) HM
Kentucky (Kenton County), Covington — 1601 — Roebling Suspension Bridge
First bridge to span Ohio River, connecting Kentucky and Ohio. John Augustus Roebling engineer, Amos Shinkle, president of Covington- Cincinnati Bridge Co. The formal opening of this bridge celebrated, Jan. 1, 1867. A prototype for . . . — Map (db m78978) HM
Maine (Knox County), Rockport — André the SealSculpture by Jane Wasey — 1978 —
André was born on Robinson’s Rock in Penobscot Bay on May 16, 1961. Abandoned at birth, he was found, befriended, raised and trained by Harry Goodridge of Rockport, Maine. André is honorary harbor master of Rockport Harbor and is a celebrity of more . . . — Map (db m124338) HM
Maine (Knox County), Rockport — The Rockport Lime Kilns
During the 19th Century, Rockport was a major supplier of lime to East Coast markets. These kilns converted limestone rock supplied by 15 local quarries into lime used to make mortar & finish plaster. The burned lime was packed into wooden casks and . . . — Map (db m124348) HM
Maine (Lincoln County), Christmas Cove — In Grateful Memory of Ensign Richard Rundlett WellsUSN 1896-1918
Who was born and grew to young manhood at Christmas Cove. Bred in the tradition of the sea, he was swift to volunteer when his country entered the Great War. He won a commission for meritorious service and gave his life in heroic performance of his . . . — Map (db m126922) HM WM
New York (Albany County), Albany — The King’s HighwayRoute of
First Dutch road between Albany and Schenectady c. 1663 — Map (db m127902) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Reformed Dutch Church
Organized 1763. First Pastor Johannes Schuyler 1767. Oldest Church in County outside of Albany — Map (db m50191) HM
New York (Albany County), Schenectady — The King’s Highway
Military road during the French and Indian and Revolutionary Wars — Map (db m127558) HM
New York (Albany County), Schenectady — The King’s HighwayRoute of
Became wagon road about 1663 — Map (db m127559) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — First P.O. 1868
Site of First P.O. 1868 Established in Reid's General Store, Farm of James Reid Town's First Supervisor — Map (db m48607) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Frewsburg — Frew House
Frew House First house erected in Frewsburg. Built 1807 by Hugh and Mary R. Frew — Map (db m105669) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — The War of 1812
Halsey's Corners. 250 American soldiers plus militia met 4,000 British troops in bloody battle here on Sept. 6, 1814. — Map (db m107390) HM
New York (Columbia County), Stuyvesant — Henry Van Schaack
Died here in 1823. Built these two houses. Was on first Board of Trustees of Williams College. — Map (db m37497) HM
New York (Essex County), Crown Point — The Soldiers' Monument
To the memory of the heroic volunteers of Crown Point, who gave their lives as a sacrifice for their country and humanity, in the suppression of the Great Rebellion of 1861-1865. This monument is erected by their grateful fellow . . . — Map (db m126316) WM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — Site of First St John's Church North
Site of First St John's Church (1760) erected by Sir William Johnson; first Church of England North of the Mohawk River — Map (db m50747) HM
New York (Greene County), Athens — A. Van Loon House
Built in 1724 by Albertus Van Loon occupied as a residence since date of erection — Map (db m125871) HM
New York (Greene County), Athens — Athens Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the men and women who honorably served our country — Map (db m126511) WM
New York (Greene County), Athens — Jan Van Loon House
Built 1706 by Jan Van Loon chief holder Loonenburgh Pat. 1688. Athens Village first called Loonenburgh. — Map (db m126509) HM
New York (Greene County), Athens — Northrup House
Built 1803 Home of Issac Northrup founder of Athens Village Incorporated 1806 — Map (db m126510) HM
New York (Greene County), Cairo — 348 — Town of Cairo
Created March 26, 1803 from Towns of Catskill, Coxsackie and Freehold. Originally named Canton. Became Cairo April 6,1808 — Map (db m129485) HM
New York (Greene County), Catskill — General George Decker
Family home of Catskill native General George Decker appointed by President John F. Kennedy United States Army Chief of Staff 1960-1962 — Map (db m129479) HM
New York (Greene County), Catskill — Hamlet of Alsen
Had a cement plant, 2 mushroom farms, a school, post office, 2 grocery stores, railroad station, population about 300 — Map (db m129480) HM
New York (Greene County), Catskill — Hamlet of Cementon
At one time, had an elementary school, a church, a railroad station, a post office, 5 grocery stores, a large cement plant, 1 ice house & a population of about 800 — Map (db m129481) HM
New York (Greene County), Catskill — Hop-O-Nose
Site of Indian village purchased from the Indians in 1682. Loveridge Patent — Map (db m129477) HM
New York (Greene County), Catskill — Martin Van Buren
8th President of the U.S. was married in this house to Hannah Hoes in 1807. House built in 1797 — Map (db m127871) HM
New York (Greene County), Catskill — Stone House
Built in 1762 by Lieut. Col. Cornelis Dubois. Surrender of Cornwallis celebrated here — Map (db m127872) HM
New York (Greene County), Catskill — Uncle Sam
Samuel Wilson, “Uncle Sam” the official symbol of the United States, lived here 1817-1823 — Map (db m127870) HM
New York (Greene County), Catskill — Uncle Sam Bridge
Samuel Wilson, whose name inspired national symbol “Uncle Sam” lived nearby from 1817-1822 — Map (db m127981) HM
New York (Greene County), Elka Park — One Hundredth Anniversary1885-1985
This tablet commemorates the hundredth anniversary of New York State's Forest Preserve. The surrounding mountains, streams, and woodlands remain a legacy from the past protected by the constitution of New York State. They represent a heritage for . . . — Map (db m127694) HM
New York (Greene County), Greenville — Early Sawmill
Owned and operated by Eleazer Knowles stood on this site — Map (db m129488) HM
New York (Greene County), Greenville — Edwin L. Drake
Pioneer in U.S. oil industry drilled first oil well in Titusville, PA Aug. 27, 1859 Born Greenville, NY Mar. 29, 1819 Died Bethlehem, PA Nov. 8, 1880. — Map (db m129492) HM
New York (Greene County), Greenville — Greenville
1803 town taken from Freehold and Coxsackie, called Greenfield, first town meeting held 1809 Named Greenville — Map (db m129490) HM
New York (Greene County), Greenville — Grist Mill
Grist mill erected here in 1785 by David Hickcock and Davis Denning — Map (db m129489) HM
New York (Greene County), Greenville — Talmage-Atwater
Home of families for 170 years. Built in 1792. — Map (db m129495) HM
New York (Greene County), Jefferson Heights — Capt. Joseph Allen
House built in 1814 by Capt. Joseph Allen, sea captain during the Revolution — Map (db m127859) HM
New York (Greene County), Jefferson Heights — Footpath
From old Indian fort called Casteel Hoogte to Coxsackie — Map (db m127858) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — 505 — Douglass Home
Frederick and Anna Douglass lived in a home on this site with their 5 children, 1848-1851 Welcomed freedom seekers on the Underground Railroad — Map (db m128546) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — 506 — First RIT Campus
Rochester Athenaeum est. 1829 Mechanics Institute est. 1885 located here. Merged 1891 & renamed Rochester Institute of Technology in 1944. — Map (db m128545) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Canajoharie — Canajoharie Academy
Site of Canajoharie Academy 1824-92 Susan B. Anthony Taught Here 1846 50. Charles F. Wheelock, Prin., 1880-91 — Map (db m57934) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Canajoharie — Van Alstyne Homestead
Built 1749 By Martin J. Van Alstyne 16 of 31 Meetings of Tryon County Safety Committee Held Here 1774-75 General Nicholas Herkimer Received Commission As Brig. Gen Here 1775 — Map (db m22527) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fort Plain — Battle of Stone ArabiaRevolutionary War Heritage Trail
In October 1780 Sir John Johnson led an British raiding force of 875 men up the Schoharie Creek and then west along the Mohawk River, destroying almost every farm in their path. At Stone Arabia, the vanguard of his troops engaged Massachusetts . . . — Map (db m120862) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Mohawk — Volkert Veeder
Grave and Site of Home of Volkert Veeder Montgomery County Delegate To Constitution Ratification Convention at Poughkeepsie 17 June - 26 July 1788 — Map (db m66809) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Rockefeller Apartments
Rockefeller Apartments, built in 1935-37, are a major example of the International Style. Designed by the firm of Harrison & Fouilhoux, the two buildings were commissioned by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. and Nelson Rockefeller to enhance the family . . . — Map (db m127283) HM
New York (Niagara County), Somerset — Salt Spring
Enclosed in buttonwood log, hollowed by Indians was used to preserve fish and game. Located half mile west on Fish Creek. — Map (db m72160) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — 1772 House
Built by Eliphalet Kellogg had settlers' baking ovens Indians captured children and tortured them. Kellogg was Revolutionary Patriot. — Map (db m129051) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — 1780 Invasion
Home of Tyrannis Collins, militia captain under Gordon, raided by British & Indians. North of here all rebel men captured & houses burned — Map (db m127153) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Angus McDearmid
Banished from Scotland. British and Indians visited on eve of 1780 invasion. Angus saw demon apparition, hence Devil’s Lane - 1786. — Map (db m127421) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Briggs Cemetery
Founder Rev. Eliphalet Ball, Patriots James Cordon, Samuel McCrea, Michael Middlebrook, Godrge Scott, Lemuel Wilcox, Col Gregory — Map (db m127136) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Christ Episcopal Church
Site of first Episcopal church in Saratoga County. Erected 1792, removed to Ballston Spa 1817 — Map (db m127386) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — E. Hubbell 1831
Late Federal style home of Edmond Hubbell and Mary Hubbell. Mr. Hubbell operated a woolen cloth manufactory on the Mourning Kill until ca. 1850 — Map (db m127128) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Edmund Jennings
Built log cabin here 1775. Revolutionary War patriot fought at Bemis Heights Brick front built c. 1820 Later owned by Robert Speir. — Map (db m127404) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Eliphalet Ball1722-1797 — Site of original home —
Founder, Ballston, 1770. Established first real settlement in Ballston — Map (db m127124) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Home of Samuel Young
Member of Assembly 1814 Speaker of Assembly 1815 State Senator 1819, 33, 34, 35, 45, 47 Candidate for Governor of N.Y. 1825. Died here 1850 — Map (db m127130) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — James Gordon

Home of James Gordon Colonel Revolutionary War Member of Assembly, State Senator First Supervisor Town Ballston Member of Congress Washington visited here 1783 — Map (db m127216) HM

New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — John Clinton
1721-1785 bought 900 acres here 1772, some underwater He & John Jr.were militiamen fought at Saratoga. Son married Mary Scribner 1773 — Map (db m129053) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Pioneer Farm
Built c. 1780 on edge of deep forest. Owned by John & Lucy Tibbets. Often visited by Indians. Later abandoned & used for potato storage. — Map (db m129239) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Scribner Home
Zaccheus Scribner settled 1773. Sons Aaron and Thadeus served in the militia. Thadeus was Ballston's 1st mail carrier — Map (db m129035) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Trip-Hammer
Site of water-powered forge shop and residence of Sylvester Blood (1785-1866) and wife, Loretta. Shop made scythes and axes until 1825 — Map (db m127127) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Lake — East Line Union Cemetery
Oldest recorded grave 1785. Graves of 20 Revolutionary War veterans including Gen. Samuel Clark, elected first Supervisor of Town of Malta — Map (db m129006) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Lake — Schauber House
1806 Federal home of David (1773-1843) and Maphlet Schauber and their 12 children. — Map (db m129108) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Ballston Center
Samuel Southard Tavern - early graveyard - post office -blacksmith shop - stores. George Washington rode through in 1783 — Map (db m127035) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Ballston Church
Congregation formed 1771 by Rev. Eliphalet Ball. Fourth house of worship built 1859. Church burned in Oct 1993 Steeple saved. Rebuilt to the glory of God in 1994 — Map (db m127033) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Colonial Inn
This building erected in 1797 was for many years a public tavern — Map (db m127040) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — County Seat
The county seat moved from Ballston Center to Ballston Spa in 1817. This county complex was dedicated on 9/21/1968. — Map (db m127528) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Dunning Street Common
Given by Michael Dunning. Parade ground for militia training in the Revolution. Preserved as village green for grazing, horse races and other town festivities. — Map (db m129066) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — East Line
An early community ca. 1780 shared by Malta & Ballston Townships. ME. church built 1809. Nearby was a hotel, a tavern, by 1837 a R.R. stop — Map (db m127123) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Home of George Scott
Settled here 1774. British and Indians attacked 1780. Scott was tomahawked and house was pillaged. He died in 1785. — Map (db m127527) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Home of Jonathan Filer
Partially burned in Ballston invasion of 1780. Braided Indian torch found here. Family escaped and hid nearby. — Map (db m128984) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — McCrea Hill
Brothers James, Sam, & Wm. McCrea built near here 1771. James and Sam fought for Rev. War. Wm. sided with British. Sister Jane martyred 1777. — Map (db m127211) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Riley-Allen Cobblestone House
C.1830. Type of structure rare in this area. Owned by Philip Riley & heirs 1857- 1971. Home of Robert R. and Melinda A. Allen since 1974. — Map (db m129060) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Samuel Davis MD
Born 1765 - Died 1840 Practiced medicine from here for 50 years. House was a station on the Underground Railroad. — Map (db m127073) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Site of
First courthouse and jail of Saratoga County. Erected 1796 destroyed by fire, 1816 — Map (db m127070) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Burnt Hills — Bettys Family
Joseph died 1804 and Abigail died 1791 local innkeepers and unfortunate parents of Joseph, convicted traitor & spy who was hung in 1782 — Map (db m128976) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Burnt Hills — Burnt Hills Baptist Church
Founded 1783. Present church built 1839. Hillside Cemetery adjoining. 1st burial 1782. — Map (db m127529) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Burnt Hills — Centennial Barn
Built by barn raising in 1900 on C. Van Vorst Farm. Later run by David Garrison. Origin of BH-BL Rotary-1950. Known as Laur Lin Dee Farm. — Map (db m129241) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — CharltonEst. 1792
Historic District Boundary. Jesse Conde Settled here in 1774 — Map (db m126739) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Charlton
Est. 1792 Historic District Boundary William Clark settled here 1786 — Map (db m126740) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — CharltonEst. 1792
Historical District Boundary. Eli Northrup settled here in 1785 — Map (db m126741) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — CharltonEst. 1792
Historic District Boundary. Dr. William Mead settled here in 1794 — Map (db m126742) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — CharltonEst. 1792
Historic District Boundary. Thomas Brown settled here in 1786 — Map (db m127726) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Charlton Academy
Founded 1859, by Rev. James Crocker, destroyed by fire April 1948. Donated by Charlton Grange — Map (db m126385) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Charlton Museum
St. Paul's Episopal Church Built 1804 Dist#8 School 1859-1948 Charlton Historical Society First Meeting Jan 17, 1966 — Map (db m126743) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Conde CreekSawmill Site
Here 1800 stood a sawmill built and operated by Simon I. Van Patten — Map (db m126934) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Harmony Corners
School District #9 - 1865-1962 Harmony Hall built 1892 by Patrons of Industry Farmers Club organized 1903 Harmony Community Center 1989 — Map (db m126929) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Jeremiah Smith Cemetery
Earliest recorded Burial: Elisha Hawley - Born 1780 Died 1797. This plot of ground set aside as a burial ground by Jeremiah Smith from his farm (small lot #4, 200 acres of the 5,000 acre tract). Smith purchased this land on November 3, 1774 of the . . . — Map (db m126542) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — John W. Taylor
Birthplace of John W. Taylor Mar. 1784 -Sept. 1854 Twice Speaker -U.S. House of Representatives N.Y. Senator-Assemblyman. — Map (db m126728) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — 475 — Pine Grove
Burials from 1776. Incorp. 1848. Some stones relocated from Presbyterian Church 1878. Revolutionary War, Civil War, other veterans buried here. — Map (db m126835) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Presbyterian Church
Organized Jan 3, 1788 by settlers from Freehold Monmouth Co. New Jersey. Present Edifice built 1852-53 — Map (db m126733) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Scotch Street
Scottish settlement 1775 cemetery 1778, church 1792 farms, School #2, blacksmith cooper, ice harvesting, store sawmill, telephone exchange — Map (db m126928) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Slab Troy
5,000 acre tract once a hamlet of mills & trades located on the Alplaus Kill. Little Troy School Dist. #7 New Stage Road bridge 1967 — Map (db m126945) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Stage Run1802-1843
Jerome Farm near this road. Birthplace of Isaac Jerome, great grandfather of Sir Winston Churchill. October 26, 1786 — Map (db m126544) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — The Charlton School
Founded 1895 by John S. Hawley as the Charlton Industrial Farm School for Troubled Boys. Burned April 2, 1938. Rebuilt for young women in 1955. — Map (db m126841) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Clifton Park
This hamlet was a major stopping point on the plank road between Waterford and Ballston Spa during the 19th Century — Map (db m127315) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Clifton Park Village HotelStevens’ Tavern
Constructed circa 1821 by Ephraim Stevens. 1859 owned by Isaac Rogers. — Map (db m127318) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Hotel Site
Site of hotel built byJames Jones, c. 1820 destroyed by fire in 1915.Stage coach stop on plank road - Waterford Turnpike — Map (db m129004) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — L Garnsey House
c. 1830 home of Levi Garnsey family. Sold to Barney Caldwell in 1868, and still owned and farmed by desc. in 1995 — Map (db m125399) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Turnpike
Route of Saratoga Turnpike from Waterford to Ballston and Saratoga c. 1829. A private road paved with wood planks in 1849. — Map (db m127277) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Galway — Galway Village
One half-mile square, with four corners for a center; settled by early Scots 1774 incorporated April 18, 1838 — Map (db m126925) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Galway — Seabury Mills
1850 Mill complex included a carding mill, vinegar works, saw mill, and feed mill operated over 60 years by the Seabury family — Map (db m127167) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Galway — Site Of John McClelland
House and store 1774 Original Scottish settler opened first store 1780 served as first town supervisor from 1792-1794 — Map (db m126931) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Galway — The Gere House
Built 1794 by Isaac Gere IV Col. Isaac Gere b. 1765 d. 1849 Town supervisor in 1803 State Senator 1830-1834 — Map (db m126942) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Hadley — Hadley Station
1st Train To Hadley 12/1865 Merged With D&H 11/1902 Hotel Guests Met At Station Hadley Depot Closed 8/1958 Station Has Been Demolished Erected 1999 By Town of HadleyMap (db m97390) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Crescent
Named from crescent shape of Mohawk River at this point. Site of Indian carry from Mohawk River to Hudson River. Site of old Crescent Bridge. — Map (db m128384) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Crescent
A major crossing of the Mohawk since the revolution, Crescent was an important commercial center during the Erie Canal Era. — Map (db m128386) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Crescent / Mohawk Towpath Byway / Halfmoon
Crescent When the Erie Canal opened in 1825, the commercial focus in Halfmoon shifted to the village of Crescent where the longest aqueduct on the system carried the canal across the Mohawk River. That aqueduct was replaced in 1842. Between . . . — Map (db m128408) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Halfmoon Academy
Private school chartered 1851 to 1877. Transferred to District #1, Town of Halfmoon. A common school until 1951 — Map (db m128389) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Spice Factory
Established in 1859 by Joshua Anthony produced baking powder. Spice grinding and extracts operated until 1920 — Map (db m125354) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Van Den Bergh
Property shown on 1767 survey Continued ownership mid 1800’s Farmhouse c. 1834 Family established ferry across the Mohawk in 1707 — Map (db m128382) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Vandenburgh Dunsbach Ferry
Early settlers found well-defined trails between old Indian villages and river fording places. These trails became early roads. Cornelius Claes Vandenburgh established a rope ferry at this site before 1705 connecting an Indian trail that . . . — Map (db m128394) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Jonesville — Cemetery 1864
Rolling hills, winding paths and sculpted monuments reflect the rural cemetery movement popular in mid 19th century America — Map (db m129005) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Jonesville — Store 1892
Coal yard and grain business run by George Smith at Elnora railroad crossing, named 1882 for wife of Supervisor of D & H. — Map (db m129003) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Bartlett House
C. 1834, one of oldest Greek Revival farmhouses in Malta. Families here were Tompkins, Patrick, Riley, Bryan, Blackburn, Slade, Bartlett since 1971 — Map (db m129068) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Dunning Farm Site
Michael Dunning, 1725-1812 pioneer settler. Purchased 1127 acres April 28, 1773. Laid out common or parade at Dunning Street. Militia captain in the Revolution. — Map (db m129055) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Luther Forest
A 7,000 acre forest preserve created by the Luther family 10,000,000 trees planted between 1898 and 1937 — Map (db m129081) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Malta Ridge
Settled well before 1800. Nearby stood Dean Chase's tavern well known landmark and stage coach stop. The ME church was built in 1814. — Map (db m129057) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Malta Ridge Cemetery
Earliest recorded grave 1805. Some early family graves are Arnold, Baker, Brown, Chase, Crouch, Fish, Hill, Ireland, Millard, Phillips, Ramsdale Reno, Riley, Rowley, Wiggins. — Map (db m129058) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Malta West Ridge Cemetery
Formerly Collamer Cemetery. Oldest recorded grave 1796. Veterans’ graves from World Wars I and II, Civil War, War of 1812 and Revolutionary War. — Map (db m129110) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Marvin Homestead
Home of William Marvin and Susanna (Wright) Marvin his wife, pioneer settlers in Town of Malta. Land purchased April 2, 1772. House built circa 1790. — Map (db m129112) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Parade Ground
Donated by Captain Michael Dunning in 1776 for use as a militia training ground during the Revolutionary War. It has since served Malta as a public square. — Map (db m129067) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Site of First CourtSaratoga County May 10, 1791
Courts of Common Pleas and General Sessions, held in the residence of Samuel Clark, later first Supervisor of Malta — Map (db m129109) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Site of Smith-Caldwell Van Aernem HomeCirca 1830
Vernacular Federal style farm house contained hidden passageways characteristic of the Underground Railroad. — Map (db m129026) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Wiggins-Brown-NolenCirca 1840
Vernacular Greek Revival farmhouse of David Wiggins and wife Mary A. 1840-1874 Charles H. Brown family home 1900-1965. Purchased 1970 and restored Thomas V. & Juanita Nolen — Map (db m129111) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Mechanicville — Immigrant City
Yankees settled in 1760’s. Irish, Italians, & Polish immigrants came to mills & RR yards in late 1800’s, creating our proud ethnic heritage — Map (db m126384) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Mechanicville — Leland House
Raided by French and Indians in 1748. Rebuilt in 1749. Later the home of Revolutionary Patriot John Ten Broeck 1740-1822 — Map (db m129191) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Mechanicville — Milltown USA
First friction matches, 1811; Champlain Canal, 1823; S & R RY 1835; linen thread mill, 1850; power dam, 1885; rail yards, 1892; book paper mill 1904. — Map (db m129272) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Mechanicville — Newtown
Newtown Baptist Church located on this corner in 1791. The cemetery contains graves of the first settlers. — Map (db m125363) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Milton — Milton Centre
Early businesses from c. 1780 to late 1800’s. Gordon Grist Mill; Rugg Wheel Shop; Frink-Kellog Store; S. Rugg Tannery; Freelander Blacksmith Shop & Hotel; Thompson Law Office — Map (db m127387) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Milton — Milton Hill
Area of town first settled c. 1772 by David Wood family. Powell's Store, Episcopal & Presbyterian Churches until c. 1850; School #3 to 1950's. — Map (db m127303) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Milton — Rock City Falls
V. Rathbun settled pre-1800. Area grew around early saw, grist mills; stores; hotels; schools; 1810 Methodist Ch.; mid-1800 paper mills Kilmer, West; P.O.; Catholic Ch. 1872 — Map (db m127292) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Milton — Rose Hill Water Tower
Square, triple-walled stone structure built about 1917 to store and supply running water to Thompson Farm and area. Used until 1970's. — Map (db m127306) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Milton — West MiltonClute’s Corners
Settlers came before 1800. Stores of Whalen, Clute. #7 School. P.O. 1824-1921. Early mill/West Pioneer c 1870. Wilson Park & Chapel c 1874. — Map (db m127389) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Milton — West MiltonSpeir’s Corners
J. Shearer came c 1774, others after war. Saw, grist mill. Presbyterian Ch. c 1800-1940. Vedder, later Speir, Store. West Milton Hotel to 1918 — Map (db m127394) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Country Club Acres, 1957
Clifton Park's first residential development. Begun by Robert Van Patten, (1919-1990) — Map (db m125360) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Garnsey House
1791 Federal home of Nathan Garnsey and his son Nathan Jr., the 2nd supervisor of Clifton Park in 1829. — Map (db m126241) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Rexford Cemetery
Active 1799-1854 Rexford and Knowlton families Relocated c. 1925 to Vale Cemetery, Schenectady — Map (db m125456) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Rexford House
Edward Rexford settled here from England c. 1763. Early home enlarged by Cyrus Rexford in 1883. — Map (db m125396) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Shepherd House
C. 1785 home of William (1768-1814) and Margaret MacIntosh Shepherd. Her brother John founder of MacIntosh Apple lived nearby 1777-1796 — Map (db m128347) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Southard House
C. 1845 Greek Revival home of Jonas (1802-1878) and Elsie Demarest Southard. Later owned by Rexford Hotel owner John McLane. — Map (db m126239) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Tavern c. 1820
Store and tavern of Samuel Grooms. First Clifton Park Town Board meeting held here in 1828. — Map (db m126828) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Vischer House
c. 1801 Home of Nicholas (1777-1841) and Catherine Van Vranken Vischer. He was grandson of Vischer Ferry’s first settler. — Map (db m126833) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Schuylerville — British Artillery Park
Here on retreat from Bemis Heights night October 10th 1777 British Army parked artillery. — Map (db m89672) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Vischer Ferry — Hydroelectric Power Plant
Under Chapter 532, Laws of 1922, the Superintendent of Public Works was authorized to develop the potential water power at the new Barge Canal dams located at Crescent and Vischer Ferry. All contract work at both plants was completed in . . . — Map (db m128350) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Waterford — Brookwood
In 1760 Thomas Peebles purchased this site along the King's Highway. The Widow Peebles Tavern was located here on a 1779 map. — Map (db m129189) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Waterford — C. Boughton Farm
1850 Doctor and Assemblymen C.S. Hawley later resided here He founded the Halfmoon Academy Sec. to Grover Cleveland Fire Department namesake — Map (db m128391) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Waterford — Halfmoon Fort1689
Defense outpost of Albany. Site of "Ye Halfmoon” settlement 1764 on "Great Road” to Canada — Map (db m129177) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Waterford — Henry HudsonSeptember 22, 1609
Stopped near here by shallow water in Hudson River in search for Northwest Passage — Map (db m129183) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Waterford — Oakcliff
A distinguished example of Revival architecture in Saratoga County, c. 1840. Built by Judge Duncan McMartin. Residence of prominate businessman and civic leader T.G. Younglove 1850-82.

Restored 1988 by John Szemansco, Jr. — Map (db m128556) HM

New York (Saratoga County), Waterford — Waterford1794
Oldest continuously incorporated village in New York State — Map (db m129175) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — A Former Lake
Just north of these gravel knolls is the basin of a postglacial lake. Here men of an Arctic type once lived and hunted — Map (db m127351) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Alplaus
Formerly “Aal Plaats” from Dutch meaning “place of eels.” French and Indians camped at Alplaus Creek on the eve of Schenectady Massacre 1690. — Map (db m125364) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Primitive Path
Here ran a great and well-beaten path by the archaic Algonkin and other nations, going between the sea coast and the interior — Map (db m127348) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Primitive Path
Here ran a great and well-beaten path used by the archaic Algonkin and other nations, going between the sea coast and interior — Map (db m127353) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Sacandaga Road
Cut through primitive forest by early settlers along an Indian trail leading Sacandaga Region and Canada — Map (db m126936) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Seeley House
Farm of John F. Seeley, 19th Century broom corn grower, broom manufacturer. First bridge erected here in 1855 by Volney Freeman — Map (db m125398) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Van Vleck Home
Here, about 1770, Harmanus Van Vleck cleared a tract and built his house in the dense forest, yet haunt of the wolf, bear, and panther — Map (db m127352) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Niskayuna — Edith M. Boldebuck1915-1981
Edith M. Boldebuck, a leading GE patent holder, played a key role in the developments of plastics and insulating materials. — Map (db m123052) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Niskayuna — The Ferry Road Bridge & Its Surroundings… A Brief History
This area was the site of rich Native American agricultural fields and extensive trade paths. In the 17th century and 18th centuries, Dutch colonists and other European settlers farmed here and transported their goods on those same paths. Boats . . . — Map (db m126661) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Niskayuna — The Historic Rexford AqueductA feature of the National Historic Landmark - New York State Canal System - The Erie Canal
In 1817, the Erie Canal was established under the management of the Erie Canal Commission. The canal was dug from Albany to Buffalo 4’ deep and 40’ wide with stone locks 15’x 90’. The locks were the limiting factor on boat size, and the efficiency . . . — Map (db m128557) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Niskayuna — Welcome to the Colonie Mohawk-Hudson Bike-Hike Path
The Town of Colonie includes 10.2 miles of riverfront along the Mohawk River and Erie Canal. The bike-hike trail which parallels the river and canal is part of the 359 mile NYS Canalway Trail stretching from Buffalo to Albany. Points of interest . . . — Map (db m127029) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Rotterdam Junction — Plotter Kill Aqueduct
These stone arches are the remains of an aqueduct that conveyed the Erie Canal across the Plotter Kill Creek. Aqueducts were used to carry the canal and its towpath over rivers, ravines, and other obstructions. They each consisted of an arched stone . . . — Map (db m125976) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — 1832-1838
Site of S&S RR (Schenectady and Saratoga Railroad) Subway — Map (db m128758) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Bradt House1735
Early type of Dutch farmhouse. To west was Woestina (Wilderness) — Map (db m123077) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — ca 1786
John Baptist Van Epps was a fur trader and also operated a fleet of boats. At this site he ran the ferry dock at which George Washington landed on one of his visits to Schenectady. — Map (db m128741) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Circa 1824Mary and James Carley House
Built on land granted in 1662 to Jacques Van Slyck, son of a Mohawk woman, Otstoch, and Cornelius Van Slyck. Site of Van Slyck’s tavern 1671. Structure replaces the buildings destroyed in the Great Fire of 1819. — Map (db m128802) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — GE Realty Plot
E.K Rossiter, T.H. Ellet, W.T.B. Mynderse, and A.J. Russell were among the major architects who designed houses here. — Map (db m125443) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Issac J. Truax Tavern1757-1805
Site of a 18th Century tavern on the King’s Highway. — Map (db m127554) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Nott Terrace High School
Site of Schenectady High School. Built in 1903, renamed Nott Terrace High School in 1931. Taken down in 1974. — Map (db m127901) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Oldest HouseIn City
Built before 1700 by Hendrick Brouwer a fur trader who died here 1707. Sold 1799 to James Rosa, Supt. Mohawk & Hudson R.R. 1831 — Map (db m128840) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — PulaskiUnion Makes Valor Stronger
Count Casimir Pulaski - Polish friend of America in the Revolutionary War distinguished himself on General George Washington’s staff in the Battle of Brandywine. Commissioned Brigadier General. Fought at Germantown and other battles in winter of . . . — Map (db m128129) HM WM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Rest Here for the Night
(south side) In memory of the soldiers & sailors from Schenectady County, who aided in the suppression of the Great Rebellion of 1861-5. (north side) Erected by the Ladies Monument Association of the City of . . . — Map (db m128133) WM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — South Shore Road
Colonial-Revolutionary road to Fort Stanwix and Oswego. Route of troops in five wars — Map (db m128747) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — The King’s Highway
Route of main road west until 1799. — Map (db m127551) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — The King’s Highway
First road between Albany and Schenectady c. 1663. — Map (db m127553) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — The King’s Highway
The route of the King’s Highway. George Washington rode over this road to Schenectady in 1786 — Map (db m127556) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — The King’s HighwayRoute of
The main route west until 1799. — Map (db m127557) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Toll House1820
Constructed for Dr. Daniel J. Toll, physician — Map (db m128756) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Truax Burial Grounds(700 Ft. NE)
Issac Truax and Isaac Jr., two innkeepers on the King’s Highway buried here. — Map (db m127555) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Union College
Charter granted 1795. Present North and South College buildings erected 1813-14 from plans by Jacques Ramee — Map (db m127897) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Vale Cemetery
A rural cemetery est. 1857. At rest are early settlers, veterans, notable women, politicians, industrialists, African-Americans, inventors — Map (db m127896) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Scotia — Glen-Sanders House, 1713
Glen Sanders house, 1713. Built by Capt. Johannes Glen partly of materials in first Mohawk Valley house built by Alexander Glen, 1655. — Map (db m128755) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Scotia — Mohawk Turnpike
Colonial highway westward to St. Johnsville known as "King's Highway” military road 1812 — Map (db m128754) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Col. Peter Vroman
Revolutionary War staff and soldiers 15th Regiment Albany County Militia — Map (db m129274) HM
New York (Ulster County), Saugerties — Kiersted House
of Pre-Revolutionary days. Home of Dr. Christopher Kiersted, first physician in town, rendered service during Revolutionary War — Map (db m129457) HM
New York (Ulster County), Saugerties — Lutheran Church
Organized in 1710 by the Palatines. First pastor Rev. Joshua Kocherthal. First church site near present church. — Map (db m129482) HM
New York (Ulster County), Saugerties — Post Tavern Site
Used as Patriots meeting place during Revolution. Articles of Association signed here. Religious services held here 1815-29 — Map (db m129451) HM
New York (Ulster County), Saugerties — Schoonmaker Homestead
Elder Katsbaan Church, member of General Committee of Articles of Association. Occupied continuously by descendants. Pre-Revolutionary House — Map (db m129462) HM
New York (Washington County), Cambridge — Old White Church Cemetery
Twenty Revolutionary War soldiers rest here — Map (db m129214) HM WM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Major Robert Rogers
Founder and Commanding Officer of Rogers' Rangers in the French and Indian War. Author, in October of 1757 on this site, of the Rules of Ranging, which have been in use by the U.S. Army since that time. Rogers' Rangers Standing . . . — Map (db m18108) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Rogers Island
Bivouac Area Major Robert Rogers and his ten Ranger Companies during the French and Indian Wars 1755 - 1759 Site of Fort Nicholson           1709 Fort Lydius                 1731 Fort Lyman           . . . — Map (db m17776) HM
New York (Washington County), Salem — General John WilliamsRoots of Liberty — 1752-1806 —
Surgeon-Soldier Public Servant — Map (db m129167) HM WM
New York (Washington County), Salem — Lest We Forget
1776-1918 Dedicated to the memory of all men of Salem New York who in devoted patriotism gave their total service to their country during time of war and to those who made the supreme sacrifice for liberty and humanity. — Map (db m58524) HM
New York (Washington County), Salem — Revolutionary Cemetery
More Revolutionary soldiers are buried here than in any other cemetery in Washington County — Map (db m58530) HM
New York (Washington County), Salem — Stockaded Fort
In 1778 a stockaded fort was erected atop this hill and occupied by Charlotte Co. militia as a defense against the British forces. — Map (db m129208) HM
New York (Washington County), South Hartford — Brown's Tavern
Erected 1802 by Caleb Brown — Map (db m61514) HM
New York (Wayne County), Sodus Point — Big Sodus LightBuilt in 1870
Replaced the first lighthouse on this site built in 1825.. The light in service 1871-1901 now a maritime museum. the Sodus Bay Historical Society ————————— Listed on the National Register . . . — Map (db m79632) HM
New York (Westchester County), Port Chester — Port Chester Spanish American War Monument
1896   1902 In Proud Memory Of Port Chester Men Who Volunteered in the War Of Their Country During the War With Spain and in the Phillipines [ north bronze tablet ] Frank M. Berrien • Howard F. Carpenter • Marshall T. Chevers • . . . — Map (db m38221) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Galena — Galena
Founded by Gilbert Carpenter in 1809 between Big and Little Walnut Creeks for milling purposes — Map (db m121008) HM
Ohio (Fayette County), Washington Court House — 1-24 — Fayette County Court House / Washington Court House Riot of 1894Archibald M. Willard Murals
Fayette County Court House Opened on May 1, 1885, this is the third Fayette County Court House building. Ohio artist Archibald Willard, who is best known for the patriotic painting, "The Spirit of '76," was commissioned by the firm Cooks . . . — Map (db m106289) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Camp Dennison — Camp DennisonThe Secrest Monument
In memory of those organizations which were mustered in or out of the U.S. Service at this camp during the Civil War 1861 - 1865 First Three Months Service April 1861 Infantry 4th-5th-6th-7th-8th-9th-10th 11th-12th . . . — Map (db m108604) HM WM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Roberts Torpedo
First successful device for increasing the flow of oil by setting off an explosion deep in a well. It was publicly demonstrated in 1865. The nitroglycerin was made .4 mile south of here, along Hammond Run. — Map (db m50495) HM

1040 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 840
Paid Advertisement