Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

1121 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 921
 
Jockey Street image, Touch for more information
By Steve Stoessel, November 20, 2018
Jockey Street
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Hon. Charles Connell House/La maison Charles Connell128 Connell Street/128, rue Connell
On Connell Street (New Brunswick Route 550), on the left when traveling south.
Built in 1839 for Hon. Charles Connell. It represents the peak of classicism in Woodstock architecture. It is Greek Revival, its essence being the Greek Temple look. Wood is used here to imitate stone. Purchased by the Carleton County . . . — Map (db m139176) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — Harbour Traffic/Le traffic du port
Near Water Street.
Only a century ago the spars of many schooners filled this harbour. Vessels from Lunenburg and the "Boston States" entered to take on bait, ice and water before sailing to the banks offshore. Canso shipyards constructed smaller coastal . . . — Map (db m140521) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — We Heard the News First/Nous étions les premiers à avoir les nouvelles
Near Union Street.
On May 23, 1881, the steamer Faraday landed a transatlantic telegraph cable at Dover Bay. The cable allowed the news of Europe to flash underneath the ocean for 2,531 nautical miles. The European news arrived in Canso and Hazel Hill . . . — Map (db m140501) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Whitehead — Whitehead
On Whitehead Road, on the left when traveling south.
Early names of the community were Martingot and Tete Blanche. Lovell's 1871 Directory of Nova Scotia said "Whitehaven is a fishing settlement intended to be the terminus of the inter-colonial railway. The harbour is one of the finest on the . . . — Map (db m140352) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Lebanese Immigrants
This monument is a universal symbol of a proud, strong and globally united Lebanese community. The statue honours the early Lebanese settlers who, 130 years ago, established a presence in this country, sewing the bonds of loyalty, faith, . . . — Map (db m139674) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Ocean Terminals/le terminal ocean terminals
Near Marginal Road.
National Historic Civil Engineering Site Ocean Terminals 1912-1928 A tribute to the civil engineers and contractors who designed and built these ocean terminals Canadian Society for Civil Engineering June 1998 Site historique . . . — Map (db m139330) HM
Nova Scotia (Hants County), Stanley — Alden Nowlan
On Nova Scotia Route 236, on the right when traveling east.
In memory Alden Nowlan Jan. 25, 1933- June 27, 1983. Birthplace, childhood home Stanley, N.S. Poet, novelist, playwright There is a fountain filled with blood drawn from Emmanuel's veins and sinners plunged beneath that flood lose . . . — Map (db m138569) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Grand Pré — Acacia Villa School
On King Street just from Wharf Road, on the left when traveling east.
This cairn marks the site of the Acacia Villa School for Boys. Founded in 1852 by Joseph R. Hea, he was principal until 1860. Arthur McNutt Patterson was principal from 1860 to 1907. His son, Arthur H. Patterson was principal from 1907 to . . . — Map (db m139030) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Grand Pré — Grand Pre Marsh Body1760-1995
On Grand Pré Road at Miner Road, on the right when traveling north on Grand Pré Road.
This plaque commemorates the 235th year of the Grand Pre Marsh Body 1760-1995 in honour of the dykeland farmers, past and present, for their 235 years of dedication and sacrifice, and their continuing struggle to protect and maintain these . . . — Map (db m138789) HM
Nova Scotia (Victoria County), Ingonish — Ingonish War Memorial
On Cabot Trail, on the right when traveling south.
1st War - Veterans - 2nd War Killed in Action 1914 - 1918 Thompson Brewer George Donavan Charles MacDonald Killed in Action 1939 - 1945 Murdoch J. Ross Joseph Doucette Daniel Smith Bert Nicks An additional 83 veterans . . . — Map (db m139871) WM
Kentucky (Boone County), Burlington — Historic Burlington, KYSettling In and Getting Around
Near Washington Street (Kentucky Route 18) near Jefferson Street (Kentucky Route 338).
Boone County was established in 1799 and the County Court held its first meeting in June of that year, where The Court proceeded to fix on a place for the Seat of Justice on 74 acres offered by Robert Johnson and John H. Craig. Initially known as . . . — Map (db m134232) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Florence — 550 — Skirmish at Florence
On Dixie Highway (U.S. 25) at U.S. 42, on the right when traveling south on Dixie Highway.
Union troops, had built forts around Covington to repel expected attack from CSA troops under Gen. Heth. Detachment of 101 CSA troops camped at Snow's Pond attacked here by scouting party of 53 USA cavalrymen Sept. 17, 1862. In the skirmish 1 Union, . . . — Map (db m133190) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Hebron — 2343 — Crash of AA 383
On Kentucky Route 8, on the right when traveling east.
American Airlines flight 383, tail #N1996, was making an approach in rain when it crashed into this hillside on November 8, 1965 at 7:01 p.m. The 3-engine Boeing 727 Astrojet was en route from New York to Cincinnati. 58 people perished four . . . — Map (db m133173) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Richwood — 4194 — Major John P. Gaines
On Richwood Road (Kentucky Route 338), on the right when traveling west.
Home site of John Pollard Gaines. 1795-1857. Fought in War of 1812. In state legislature, 1825-36. Major in the 1st Kentucky Cavalry and an aide-de-camp to Gen. Winfield Scott, in Mexican war. Elected to Congress, 1847-49, while prisoner of . . . — Map (db m133213) HM
Kentucky (Harrison County), Cynthiana — 2312 — 1st Battle of Cynthiana / 2nd Battle of Cynthiana
On Paris Pike (U.S. 27), on the left when traveling south.
(Front):1st Battle of CynthianaDuring CSA Col. John H. Morgan’s 1st KY Raid, on July 17, 1862, 875 CSA hit town via the Georgetown Pike. 350 US troops & Home Guard defended town from houses. Morgan attacked across Licking River and . . . — Map (db m35858) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Lincoln Park
On Eagle Street at Pine Street on Eagle Street.
In 1886 the site was unimproved: “wild and rugged in every respect.” Formerly known as Delaware Square, Delaware Park, Beaver Park — Map (db m131656) HM
New York (Albany County), Alcove — Paper Mills
On New York State Route 143 at County Route 111, on the left when traveling west on State Route 143.
1818 Ephraim Andrews acquires cloth dressing and wool carding mills. By 1850 John E. Andrews establishes a straw paper making mill — Map (db m131759) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 11 — Fire Department/Village HallAltamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets —
On Maple Avenue (New York State Route 146) when traveling west.
THE ALTAMONT HOSE COMPANY No. 1 was organized in May 1893, with 25 citizens appointed as members by the Village Trustees. The Company's first location was rented space at the Temperance Hall on Lincoln Avenue. In 1926, the Company . . . — Map (db m131453) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Old Military Crossing
On Cohoes-Crescent Road, on the right when traveling north.
Prior to the construction of the New York State Barge Canal and dam at Crescent, the Mohawk River was shallow and fordable most of the year. For centuries, Native Americans had crossed at this place. In 1755, during the French and Indian War, a . . . — Map (db m138984) HM
New York (Albany County), Dormansville — Dormansville War Memorial
On New York State Route 143 at County Route 312, on the right when traveling west on State Route 143.
Dedicated to the men and women of Dormansville NY who served in the wars of our country — Map (db m135134) WM
New York (Albany County), Rensselaerville — Presbyterian Church
On County Route 351, on the left when traveling east.
Organized 1792. This third church built by Ephraim B. Russ and dedicated 1843. George Goodyear, Pastor. — Map (db m136124) HM
New York (Albany County), Selkirk — Hamlet of Selkirk
On New York State Route 396 at Cottage Lane, on the left when traveling west on State Route 396.
Named for James Selkirk 1757-1820. 2nd Regiment-Line, American Revolution. Native of Scotland settled here in 1786 — Map (db m129515) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Academy
On New York State Route 143, on the right when traveling north.
This house was the Chesterville Academy built about 1800. Gabriel Pinney, head master — Map (db m135154) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Allen House
On Bear Swamp Road (County Route 404) at Lockwood Road, on the right when traveling east on Bear Swamp Road.
Built 1795, here and on this road lived Ebeneazer Allen and his sons Justice, Howard, and Stephen. All soldiers in Revolution — Map (db m136127) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Early Business
On New York State Route 143 at Switzkill Road, on the left when traveling north on State Route 143.
Built c. 1830. Family run store, post office, tin shop gas station c. 1850 -1943. Long tenured postmaster C.F. Anderson 1910 -1943. — Map (db m135157) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Quaker Church
On County Route 402 near County Route 351, on the left when traveling east.
Site of a Quaker church and school. Erected 1803. Cemetery in rear. — Map (db m136064) HM
New York (Clinton County), Keeseville — 221 — Evergreen Cemetery
On Main Street, on the right when traveling west.
Est. 1849. Final resting place of veterans, members of U.S. Congress & citizens who were critical in Keeseville's history — Map (db m136668) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — 55 — Champy
On Cumberland Head Road, on the right when traveling south.
Legendary lake monster lives here. Over 300 sightings reported since 1819. Up to 200 feet long. NYS Law protects this regional icon. — Map (db m136671) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Fort Izard
On Commodore Theodore Macdonough Highway (New York State Route 314) at Cumberland Head Road, on the right when traveling east on Commodore Theodore Macdonough Highway.
Fort Izard was constructed by the United States during the War of 1812 to defend Plattsburgh against a British land and sea attack from the north, and to engage the enemy forces as they journeyed southward toward Saratoga. It was occupied for a few . . . — Map (db m137106) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Pike’s Cantonment
On New York State Route 22 1.6 miles north of Adirondack Northway (Interstate 87), on the left when traveling north.
If you were here in the late-fall of 1812, you'd see neat lines of two-man tents stretching down to the Saranac River. Those canvas shelters, which provided little protection against sleet, snow, and bitter winds, were filled with 700 soldiers . . . — Map (db m140716) HM
New York (Columbia County), Ancram — Ancram's Civil War VeteransHonor Roll — 1861-1865 —
On New York State Route 82 at County Route 7, in the median on State Route 82.
Belcher, John A Bell, Charles M. Brandt, Phillip Brooks, Henry Brown, John Butts, James Butts, Robert Byrne, John Card, Roland Card, Walter Carl, John Dayis, Isaac Decker, Jacob George, Charles R. George, Edgar . . . — Map (db m140120) WM
New York (Columbia County), Claverack — Reformed Dutch Church of Claverack
On New York State Route 9H at Old Lane, on the left when traveling south on State Route 9H.
Congregation established 1716. Current sanctuary built 1767 NYS Historical Register May 5, 2001 National Register June 21, 2001 — Map (db m140604) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — 2 — Charcoal Blast Furnace OperationsIron Works Trail
Near Valley View Road.
Producing high-quality cast iron in a charcoal-fired blast furnace required skill. Laborers constantly “charged” the furnace by wheeling carts of raw materials across the charging deck and dumping them into the charging hole at the top . . . — Map (db m135815) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — Copake Falls War Memorial
On Old New York 22 (Route 344) at New York State Route 344, in the median on Old New York 22.
In grateful memory of the services rendered by the men and women of this community in order that the principles of this Republic might be preserved. — Map (db m135844) WM
New York (Columbia County), Hillsdale — Copake-Hillsdale Line
On New York State Route 22, on the left when traveling south.
Copake part of Granger 1803, formed from Taghkanick 1824. Hillsdale formed from Claverack as district 1782, town 1786. — Map (db m135721) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Hudson, New York"a seaport far from the sea"
In his fantastical tale, Rip Van Winkle, Washington Irving told of how the ghosts of Captain Henry Hudson and his crew appeared once every twenty years in the Catskill mountains, across the river from here. According to the story, the Captain . . . — Map (db m130614) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Olana Viewshed
On New York State Route 23 at Route 9G, on the right on State Route 23.
This landscape made famous by Hudson River School painter Frederic E. Church 1826-1900. Protected by the Scenic Hudson Land Trust. — Map (db m137859) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Roll of Honor1917-1918
On U.S. 9, on the right when traveling north.
This tablet commemorates the names of those who served in the World War names are not transcribedMap (db m132618) WM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Vietnam1959-1975
Near Union Street at South Fourth Street.
Dedicated to the men and women of Columbia County who served their country during the Vietnam War 1959-1975. — Map (db m130617) WM
New York (Delaware County), Bloomville — 1800 Church
On New York State Route 10 at Church Street, on the right when traveling south on State Route 10.
Only Methodist Church building west of the Hudson River in continuous use for worship since that time. — Map (db m137593) HM
New York (Delaware County), Bloomville — First Milk Pasteurization1893
On New York State Route 10 0.4 miles north of Bloomfield-West Harpersfield Road (County Route 33), on the right when traveling north.
Sheffield Farms Creamery First in U.S. to pasteurize milk commercially — Map (db m136096) HM
New York (Delaware County), Margaretville — Middletown Settlement
On Route 28, on the right when traveling west.
Three Hudson Valley Dutch families arrived in 1763 to settle the Delaware Valley where the Lenni Lenape first hunted and fished. — Map (db m132108) HM
New York (Delaware County), Stamford — Herring Park
On New York State Route 23, on the right when traveling west.
Designated to honor Reverend Stephen A. Herring for his dedication to Core Values, Inc. Est. 1993 — Map (db m132701) HM
New York (Delaware County), Walton — William B. Ogden
On New York State Route 10.
Birthplace of William Ogden (1805-1877). First Mayor of Chicago — Map (db m137518) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Amenia — Amenia
On New York State Route 22, on the left when traveling north.
Named from the Latin "amoena," "pleasant to the eye," by Dr. Thomas Young, early settler, who also named Vermont — Map (db m138008) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Clinton Corners — Bloomvale
On Route 82 at Clinton Corners Road, on the right when traveling south on Route 82.
On the National Register of Historic Places Bloomvale Early Industrial Center, Named for Isaac Bloom (1748-1803), Judge, Miller, Patriot, Politician — Map (db m140618) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Dover Plains — Dover Stone Church
On New York State Route 22 at Stone Church Lane, on the right when traveling south on State Route 22.
A cavern, with a waterfall refuge of Sassacus, Pequot chief, fleeing from rout of his tribe at New Loudon, Conn. afterward killed by Mohawks. — Map (db m137968) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millerton — Rudd Pond
On Rudd Pond Road, on the right when traveling south.
Major Bezaleel Rudd, 1751-1846, cleared land and erected home on this site. Served in the Revolution. — Map (db m138071) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Pine Plains Northeast Line
On New York State Route 199 at Winchell Mountain Road (County Route 60), in the median on State Route 199.
Pine Plains organized 1823. Northeast formed 1788 and included Milan and Pine Plains. Milan taken off in 1818 — Map (db m137996) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Wassaic — Wassaic Iron
On New York State Route 22 at Deep Hollows Road on State Route 22.
Reed, Gridley & Co. Iron Works in business by 1829. Two beehive charcoal kilns associated with iron works are all that remain in 2012. — Map (db m138022) HM
New York (Erie County), Hamburg — The AlhambraHot Spot of the Southtowns
On Lake Shore Road.
The Alhambra was once located on this site. Built in 1925 by a group of Buffalo businessmen, it was a popular place to go for dining, dancing, and entertainment during the 1940's. Live dance bands performed here as part of the local circuit. . . . — Map (db m133030) HM
New York (Essex County), Elizabethtown — Elizabethtown War Memorials
On Court Street (U.S. 9) at Park Street, on the left when traveling north on Court Street.
The Men of Elizabethtown Who served in the World War 1917-1919 Harry Metcalf, Oliver Mitchell, Hardy Sweet, William Hanchett denoted as having died while in service. further names were not transcribed In Memory of the Men and . . . — Map (db m137178) WM
New York (Essex County), Elizabethtown — John Brown’s Body
On Court Street (U.S. 9) at Park Street, on the left when traveling north on Court Street.
John Brown’s body guarded by local citizens rested in this court house on the night of Dec. 6, 1859 on its way to burial at his home in North Elba. — Map (db m136665) HM
New York (Essex County), Keeseville — Keeseville, New York War MemorialInto the Light
On Main Street (New York State Route 22) at Front Street (U.S. 9), on the right when traveling west on Main Street.
Our Community honors the courage, sacrifice and devotion of its veterans We always remember all who served, fought, and died in defense of America's freedom and who asked nothing in return. Let us not lose what they have gained. — Map (db m136857) WM
New York (Essex County), Lewis — 3 — Lewis Hotel and Central School
On U.S. 9 north of Fox Run Road, on the left when traveling north.
The Village of Lewis started to be developed in 1818. One of the first buildings was the Lewis Hotel owned and operated by David Sykes. It was located on the corner where Route 9 meets Fox Run Road until it burned down on October 1, 1961. The . . . — Map (db m136840) HM
New York (Fulton County), Bleecker — Bleecker Center Cemetery
On County Route 112 0.1 miles north of Bleecker Center Bowlers Hill Road (County Route 145), on the right when traveling north.
Earliest gravestone 1847 Several unmarked/fieldstone Sometimes listed as Bleecker Methodist Cemetery or School District #4 — Map (db m131496) HM
New York (Fulton County), Ephratah — Tillaboro Raid
On New York State Route 10 at Tillaboro Road, on the right when traveling east on State Route 10.
Took place within a two mile radius of this marker April 20, 1779. Up this road is site of old Tillaboro Church and Cemetery — Map (db m132317) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — Royal Mountain
On New York State Route 10, on the left when traveling north.
Jumpin' Jack Johnston, 3X World Champion 1976-1978, freestyle aerialist skier, executed his first aerial on "The Challenge" in 1972. — Map (db m136980) HM
New York (Greene County), Athens — A. Van Loon House
On New York State Route 385, on the right when traveling north.
Built in 1724 by Albertus Van Loon occupied as a residence since date of erection — Map (db m125871) HM
New York (Greene County), Athens — Jan Van Loon House
On South Washington Street at Old South Washington Street, on the left when traveling north on South Washington Street.
Built 1706 by Jan Van Loon chief holder Loonenburgh Pat. 1688. Athens Village first called Loonenburgh. — Map (db m126509) HM
New York (Greene County), Cairo — The CatskillsHistoric New York
On Pine Street (New York State Route 23), on the right when traveling east.
The majestic Catskill Mountains hover over the west bank of the Hudson River as it winds its way south. These gentle peaks with their deep ravines, irregular ridges and rocky slopes long remained wild and desolate. Although small settlements began . . . — Map (db m130588) HM
New York (Greene County), Catskill — Stone House
On West Main Street, on the left when traveling north.
Built in 1762 by Lieut. Col. Cornelis Dubois. Surrender of Cornwallis celebrated here — Map (db m127872) HM
New York (Greene County), Coxsackie — CoxsackieWorld War II — Honoring Those Who Served Our Country —
On Mansion Street (New York State Route 395), on the left when traveling north.
Honor Roll (names not transcribed) — Map (db m130611) WM
New York (Greene County), Elka Park — One Hundredth Anniversary1885-1985
On New York State Route 214, on the right when traveling north.
This tablet commemorates the hundredth anniversary of New York State's Forest Preserve. The surrounding mountains, streams, and woodlands remain a legacy from the past protected by the constitution of New York State. They represent a heritage for . . . — Map (db m127694) HM
New York (Greene County), Greenville — Edwin L. Drake
On New York State Route 32, on the right when traveling south.
Pioneer in U.S. oil industry drilled first oil well in Titusville, PA Aug. 27, 1859 Born Greenville, NY Mar. 29, 1819 Died Bethlehem, PA Nov. 8, 1880. — Map (db m129492) HM
New York (Greene County), Greenville — Grist Mill
On New York State Route 81, on the right when traveling west.
Grist mill erected here in 1785 by David Hickcock and Davis Denning — Map (db m129489) HM
New York (Greene County), Hensonville — First Log House
On New York State Route 296 at Elm Road (County Route 65), on the left when traveling east on State Route 296.
Built here in 1818 by John Henson, founder of Hensonville — Map (db m132526) HM
New York (Greene County), Windham — 1785
On New York State Route 23, on the right when traveling west.
Against this rock Windham's first settler George L. Stimpson erected a log cabin — Map (db m132632) HM
New York (Greene County), Windham — Trinity Church
On New York State Route 23, on the left.
Incorporated May 20, 1799. Earliest Episcopal organization of old Town of Windham — Map (db m132635) HM
New York (Hamilton County), Speculator — First Town Hall
On New York State Route 8 0.1 miles west of New York State Route 30, on the left when traveling north.
1894 The first town hall was built. 1937 The library joined the town offices. 1965 The building became a library only. 2002 The library moved. 2006 The building became the historical museum — Map (db m137052) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Dolgeville — Brockett's Bridge1829-1892
On East State Street (Route 29) at North Main Street, on the right when traveling west on East State Street.
Gave its name to this village on the military road. A hotel, post office , and Liberty Pole were nearby. — Map (db m136740) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Frankfort — Mary Myers1859-1932 — "Carlotta The Lady Aeronaut" —
On Cemetery Street at Elizabeth Street, on the right when traveling south on Cemetery Street.
Made many ballon ascensions and assisted her husband with aeronautic experiments — Map (db m137289) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Little Falls — A Bridge for BoatsThe Little Falls Aqueduct
On Mohawk Street, on the left when traveling south on Mohawk Street.
The pile of rocks in front of you is all that is left of a massive 214-foot-long aqueduct that once carried water and canal boats across the Mohawk River, connecting the original Erie Canal to a boat basin on the Western Inland Lock Navigation . . . — Map (db m131184) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Middleville — Middleville War Memorial
On South Main Street (New York State Route 169) at New York State Route 28, on the right when traveling south on South Main Street.
This memorial dedicated to the gallant men and women from our community who served their country in peace and war. — Map (db m136834) WM
New York (Herkimer County), Mohawk — Mohawk War Memorial
On Route 5S at East Main Street, on the left when traveling east on Route 5S.
In honor and in memory of the men and women from the Mohawk area who served in the armed forces of the United States We Will RememberMap (db m137341) WM
New York (Herkimer County), Salisbury — Bell Purchased 7 May 1831
On Southern Adirondack Trail (New York State Route 29) at Military Road, on the left when traveling west on Southern Adirondack Trail.
Bell purchased 7 May 1831 by the Baptist and Universalist Societies of Salisbury for the church erected in 1831 and occupied principally by the American Baptists. The church stood across the highway from 1831-1946 on the site of the present . . . — Map (db m137089) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Quality Hill Green
On New York State Route 5, on the right when traveling west.
A company of horse artillery drilled here during the War of 1812 — Map (db m139565) HM
New York (Madison County), Wampsville — Madison County War Veterans Memorial
On North Court Street (County Route 10), on the left when traveling south.
Dedicated in grateful tribute to the madison county men and women who so unselfishly served their Country in the armed forces — Map (db m139545) WM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — The Children's Pavilion
Near Reservoir Avenue.
The Children's Pavilion, a key element of Fredrick Law Olmstead's design plan for Highland Park, stood on this site for 73 ears. A gift of George Ellwanger and Patrick Barry, the pavilion was dedicated September 1890 to the children of Rochester. . . . — Map (db m137321) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Willie Walker Lightfoot“Keeper of the Avenue”
On Jefferson Avenue at South Plymouth Avenue (New York State Route 383), on the right when traveling south on Jefferson Avenue.
Willie Walker Lightfoot lived and worked on Jefferson Avenue from 1954 to 2001. Athlete, community leader, father, elected official, friend, grandfather, musician, mentor... for over 50 years, Willie was a strong voice for SouthWest Rochester, . . . — Map (db m135320) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — World War II
On Elmwood Avenue at South Plymouth Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Elmwood Avenue.
In honor of those from the Nineteenth Ward who served their country in World War II. May their example always be an inspiration to those in whose care rests the welfare of our beloved country — Map (db m131218) WM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — This is Mohawk CountryHistoric New York
On Riverview Drive, on the right when traveling west.
The majestic Mohawk Valley has been the scene of many key events which have helped to shape the character and destiny of New York State and the nation. This was once the home of the proud Mohawks, one of the main tribes of the powerful six-nation . . . — Map (db m130806) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — Town of Florida Veterans Memorial
On Fort Hunter Road (County Route 145) 0.6 miles east of New York State Route 161, on the left when traveling east.
In Honor of All Who Served Back Face: Lest We Forget. In the final choice, a soldier’s pack is not so heavy a burden as a prisoner’s chains – President Dwight D. Eisenhower Eternal Vigilance is the Price of . . . — Map (db m140810) WM
New York (Montgomery County), Canajoharie — Routes of the ArmiesOf General John Sullivan and General James Clinton — 1779 —
Near Erie Boulevard.
An expedition against the hostile Indian nations which checked the aggressions of English and Indians on the frontiers of New York and Pennsylvania, extending westward the dominion of the United States. — Map (db m130975) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Canajoharie — The Canalway Trail: Canajoharie/ To Market, to Market
On Old Fort Plain Road, on the right when traveling west.
The Canalway Trail: Canajoharie Welcome to the Canalway Trail System, offering hundreds of miles of scenic trails and numerous parks for walking, bicycling, cross-country skiing and other recreational activities. The Canalway Trail parallels . . . — Map (db m137361) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fonda — Connolly Inn
On New York State Route 5, on the left.
stood at Yosts where there was a toll gate and a bridge across the Mohawk which was swept away by high water and never rebuilt — Map (db m131350) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fonda — The Erie CanalWelcoming the World
Near NY Thruway (Interstate 90) when traveling west.
Westward Flow Many Europeans-including large numbers of Irish, German and Dutch immigrants - and New Englanders migrating west boarded packet boats or line boats. The cost to ride a line boat. Sometimes just a penny.

Left Inset: A Tale . . . — Map (db m129784) HM

New York (Montgomery County), Fonda — The Erie CanalNot Just Big. New York State Big
Near NY Thruway (Interstate 90), on the right when traveling west.
Numbers Tell the Tale The Erie Canal originally spanned 363 miles and was 40 feet wide and 4 feet deep. It was largely built by farmers and finished by immigrants, with not a single trained engineer among them and without any mechanized . . . — Map (db m133734) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fonda — The Erie CanalBuild a Canal, Build a Nation
Near NY Thruway (Interstate 90), on the right when traveling west.
Mother of Cities The Erie Canal is often called the "Mother of Cities” because it spurred the growth of boom cities such as Syracuse, Buffalo, Utica, Cleveland, Milwaukee and Chicago. A Financial Force The Erie Canal helped . . . — Map (db m140255) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fort Plain — Battle of Stone ArabiaRevolutionary War Heritage Trail
On Ephratah Road, on the right when traveling east.
In October 1780 Sir John Johnson led an British raiding force of 875 men up the Schoharie Creek and then west along the Mohawk River, destroying almost every farm in their path. At Stone Arabia, the vanguard of his troops engaged Massachusetts . . . — Map (db m120862) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fultonville — The Mohawk ValleyA Pristine Valley Becomes a Revolutionary Battlefield
Near NY Thruway (Interstate 90), on the right when traveling west.
The Valley and the War The Mohawk Valley region played an important role during the Revolutionary War, which lasted from 1775 through 1783. Given the significance of the Mohawk Valley and the Hudson River in connecting New England . . . — Map (db m139814) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Palatine Bridge — Fort Frey1739
On West Grand Street (New York State Route 5), on the left when traveling west.
Home of Maj. John Frey Hendrick Frey location at foot of hill 1689 British fort nearby, 1701-1713 — Map (db m137581) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Randall — Volkert VroomanHome of
On Currytown Road, on the left when traveling south.
Where according to tradition Washington stayed over night on his visit through the valley — Map (db m130986) HM
New York (Montgomery County), St. Johnsville — Parrot Rifle
On East Main Street (New York State Route 5), on the right when traveling east.
Transferred to Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Park by Alonzo Smith Post No. 356 G.A.R Dept. of N.Y. C.W. Scudder, Com., C. W. Lambert, Adj. 1922 This gun was in active service during the Civil War — Map (db m137988) WM
New York (Montgomery County), St. Johnsville — St. Johnsville War Memorial
On East Main Street (New York State Route 5), on the right when traveling east.
Dedicated in grateful tribute to the men and women of St. Johnsville who served in the armed forces of our country — Map (db m137564) WM
New York (Niagara County), Somerset — Salt Spring
On Quaker Road 0.8 miles north of Lake Road (New York State Route 18).
Enclosed in buttonwood log, hollowed by Indians was used to preserve fish and game. Located half mile west on Fish Creek. — Map (db m72160) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Elbridge — Built Circa 1835
On East Main Street (New York State Route 5) east of South Street (New York State Route 317), on the left when traveling west.
For Nathan Munro's tin shop 1870 Elbridge Glove & Mitten 1885 Harrington's Drug Store 1934-53 Red & White store 1953-61 U.S. Post Office — Map (db m139628) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Fayetteville — Fayetteville
On Route 5, on the right when traveling west.
First called 'Manlius Four Corners'; Settled in 1791 by Origen Eaton and Joshua Knowlton. Boyhood home of Grover Cleveland — Map (db m139571) HM
New York (Putnam County), Cold Spring — North Highlands
On Albany Post Road (U.S. 9) at Fishkill Road (County Route 10), on the left when traveling north on Albany Post Road.
ME church est. here 1812 Rebuilt 1851 & 1878 Active through 1949 Demolished 2006 — Map (db m135878) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Eagle Mills — Dist. 2 School
On Garfield Road south of Brunswick Road (New York State Route 2), on the right when traveling south.
1-room c. 1840-81. Named for James A. Garfield who taught here 1854-56 while a student at Williams College. — Map (db m137026) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Troy — 90 First Street
On First Street, on the left when traveling south.
Built in the early 1800's, 90 First Street purchased by Daniel Robinson and his wife, the former Lucinda Conkling, in 1852. Known for his business acumen and tenacity, Mr. Robinson was the force behind the creation of the Troy to Boston Railroad. . . . — Map (db m135237) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Wynantskill — Early Cemetery
On Main Avenue (New York State Route 66), on the right when traveling north.
Named Evergreen Cemetery. First burial Aug.11, 1876. Final resting place of many area early settlers removed from private plots. — Map (db m135074) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Bacon Hill — Captain Martin John Burke
On New York State Route 32 at Grange Hall Road, on the left when traveling north on State Route 32.
Home of Captain Martin John Burke, b. 1816-d. 1847, graduated from West Point 1836; was killed in war with Mexico Aug. 20, 1847. — Map (db m138752) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — 1772 House
On Lake Road, on the right when traveling north.
Built by Eliphalet Kellogg had settlers' baking ovens Indians captured children and tortured them. Kellogg was Revolutionary Patriot. — Map (db m129051) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — 1780 Invasion
On Middleline Road, on the right when traveling south.
Home of Tyrannis Collins, militia captain under Gordon, raided by British & Indians. North of here all rebel men captured & houses burned — Map (db m127153) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Briggs Cemetery
On Brookline Road, on the left when traveling west.
Founder Rev. Eliphalet Ball, Patriots James Cordon, Samuel McCrea, Michael Middlebrook, Godrge Scott, Lemuel Wilcox, Col Gregory — Map (db m127136) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — James Gordon

Home of James Gordon Colonel Revolutionary War Member of Assembly, State Senator First Supervisor Town Ballston Member of Congress Washington visited here 1783 — Map (db m127216) HM

New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Anchor Diamond Parkat Hawkwood
Near Middle Line Road (County Route 59) at Saratoga Road (New York State Route 50), on the left when traveling north.
Welcome! We invite you to enjoy Anchor Diamond Park at Hawkwood, a 246-acre, forever-wild preserve held in partnership between Saratoga PLAN and the Town of Ballston. A generous gift from the will of Mr. Frank Schidzick to the Town of . . . — Map (db m140710) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — County Seat
On West High Street at Bath Street, on the right when traveling west on West High Street.
The county seat moved from Ballston Center to Ballston Spa in 1817. This county complex was dedicated on 9/21/1968. — Map (db m127528) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Riley-Allen Cobblestone House
On Malta Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
C.1830. Type of structure rare in this area. Owned by Philip Riley & heirs 1857- 1971. Home of Robert R. and Melinda A. Allen since 1974. — Map (db m129060) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Samuel Davis MD
On Middle Line Road, on the left when traveling north.
Born 1765 - Died 1840 Practiced medicine from here for 50 years. House was a station on the Underground Railroad. — Map (db m127073) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Site of
On Middle Line Road, on the left when traveling north.
First courthouse and jail of Saratoga County. Erected 1796 destroyed by fire, 1816 — Map (db m127070) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Barkersville — Barkersville
On Barkersville Road (County Route 16) at Fayville Road (County Route 13), on the left when traveling north on Barkersville Road.
Originally Barker's Hollow settled in 1796 by David & Samuel Barker, who established several waterpowered saw & grist mills, a tannery & shoe shop on this site. — Map (db m131132) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — CharltonEst. 1792
On Jockey Street, on the right when traveling south.
Historical District Boundary. Eli Northrup settled here in 1785 — Map (db m126741) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — CharltonEst. 1792
On Charlton Road, on the right when traveling west.
Historic District Boundary. Thomas Brown settled here in 1786 — Map (db m127726) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Stage Run1802-1843
On Jockey Street, on the right when traveling south.
Jerome Farm near this road. Birthplace of Isaac Jerome, great grandfather of Sir Winston Churchill. October 26, 1786 — Map (db m126544) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Shopmyer House
On Vischer Ferry Road (County Route 90), on the right when traveling north.
1948 Tudor style house built near site of Thompson Home, a free black family possibly involved in the underground railroad — Map (db m136459) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Greenfield — Dedicated To
On Grange Road at New York State Route 9N, on the right when traveling north on Grange Road.
The men and women from the Town of Greenfield who served our country. — Map (db m131693) WM
New York (Saratoga County), Greenfield Center — Town Hall
On Wilton Road (New York State Route 9N) at South Greenfield Road, on the right when traveling north on Wilton Road.
Given to Town of Greenfield by E. Clarence Jones. First town board meeting here August 2, 1920. — Map (db m130165) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Hadley — Arlington Hotel
On Rockwell Street (Route 4), on the right when traveling west.
Railroad house built 1866 by John Kathan. Burned 1899. Arlington rebuilt by Paul King. 3 stories, 30 rooms. Burned 1954 — Map (db m131736) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Crescent
On Terminal Road, on the left when traveling south.
Named from crescent shape of Mohawk River at this point. Site of Indian carry from Mohawk River to Hudson River. Site of old Crescent Bridge. — Map (db m128384) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Malta Ridge
On U.S. 9 near Malta Avenue, on the right when traveling north.
Settled well before 1800. Nearby stood Dean Chase's tavern well known landmark and stage coach stop. The ME church was built in 1814. — Map (db m129057) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Middle Grove — Glass Factory
On Lake Desolation Road (County Route 12), on the left when traveling north.
On this site in 1842, Oscar Granger and others built a glass factory and support community called Mt. Pleasant. Twenty-five years later, the factory closed and the community gradually died out. — Map (db m136259) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Milton — West MiltonSpeir’s Corners
On West Milton Road at Galway Road, on the left when traveling south on West Milton Road.
J. Shearer came c 1774, others after war. Saw, grist mill. Presbyterian Ch. c 1800-1940. Vedder, later Speir, Store. West Milton Hotel to 1918 — Map (db m127394) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Rexford Cemetery
On Riverview Road, on the right when traveling east.
Active 1799-1854 Rexford and Knowlton families Relocated c. 1925 to Vale Cemetery, Schenectady — Map (db m125456) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Rexford House
On New York State Route 146, on the right when traveling west.
Edward Rexford settled here from England c. 1763. Early home enlarged by Cyrus Rexford in 1883. — Map (db m125396) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Round Lake — Vanhyning-Roerig
C. 1803 house, centerpiece of large Vanhyning Farm. In the family over a century. Purchased in 1938 by August and Isabelle Roerig. Home of Ruth Weed Roerig since 1973.

Designated a malta landmark 1994 — Map (db m139153) HM

New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — Congress Spring
Near East Congress Street.
Congress Spring was discovered in 1792 by Nicholas Gilman, a member of Congress. It was tubed by Gideon Putnam, an early developer of Saratoga Springs. Dr. John Clark purchased the spring in 1826, bottled the water, and shipped it throughout the . . . — Map (db m131587) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — Highrock Park
On High Rock Avenue, on the left when traveling north.
THE GOVERNOR This spring was drilled in 1908. It was named for Governor Charles Evans Hughes who had recently signed a bill protecting the springs. The water flows through limestone and clay from a depth of 170 feet. The water is also piped . . . — Map (db m131579) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — M.C. Illions Carousel
Near Spring Street.
The Carousel in Kaydeross Amusement Park, Saratoga Springs was built circa 1904, and carved by Marcus C. llions-"The Master Carver” in the carousel world. Born in Lthuania in 1871, Illions worked as an apprentice woodcraver at the age . . . — Map (db m131642) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — Rowland's Hollow
On Rowland Street.
Early 1800's H.R. Rowland established saw & grist mill. Area later included limestone quarry, Kiln, stone & plaster mills, farms, homes, and district school — Map (db m131599) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — Saratoga State Seal WatersA Quest for Good Health
Near Avenue of the Pines.
By the 20th century, Saratoga's waters were celebrated throughout the nation. Tourists to Saratoga and the public at large were pursuing a healthy lifestyle that included a proper diet and exercise. Even Theodore Roosevelt was an ardent promoter of . . . — Map (db m130056) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — Saratoga’s Spouting Springs
On South Broadway (U.S. 9) at Crescent Street, on the right when traveling north on South Broadway.
Saratoga is blessed with naturally carbonated mineral springs. These waters originate in bedrock layers 100 to 1000 feet below the earth’s surface and rise through a crack in the earth called the McGregor Fault. Carbon dioxide gas in the water . . . — Map (db m140776) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — World War Memorial Pavillion
Near Broadway.
Dedicated 1931 by American Legion Aux. Unit 70. Site of the 1882 Congress Spring Victorian band stand. — Map (db m131590) HM WM
New York (Saratoga County), Schuylerville — Dovegat House
On U.S. 4, on the right when traveling north.
Site of headquarters General Burgoyne during advance and retreat of British Army — Map (db m129655) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Schuylerville — Lakes to Locks PassageThe Great Northeast Journey — Champlain Canal Region —
On New York State Route 32 at Herkimer Street, on the right when traveling south on State Route 32.
Victory The Village of Victory sits perched on a bluff above the Hudson River, It owes its location to the highest waterfall on Fish Creek, the best waterpower site on the the creek's course from Saratoga Lake to the Hudson River. The . . . — Map (db m129632) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Stillwater — Bullard Paper Company Chimney
On U.S. 4, on the right when traveling north.
Here 1880 while excavating for Bullard Paper Mill chimney, the remains of an unknown soldier and his horse were exhumed — Map (db m132503) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Stillwater — Ketchum’s Corners
On County Route 70 when traveling south.
Named for the Joel Ketchum family who settled here about 1783. — Map (db m131567) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Stillwater — Saratoga Springs Air Force StationTown of Stillwater, NY — 1952-1977 —
On County Route 70 at Radar Road, on the left on County Route 70.
The hill above was the location of a Cold War early warning radar site built as part of a system designed to defend the United States against enemy air attacks. This marker erected by and dedicated to the men and women of the 656th Radar Squadron . . . — Map (db m131570) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Vischer Ferry — Hydroelectric Power Plant
Near Riverview Road at Sugar Hill Road.
Under Chapter 532, Laws of 1922, the Superintendent of Public Works was authorized to develop the potential water power at the new Barge Canal dams located at Crescent and Vischer Ferry. All contract work at both plants was completed in . . . — Map (db m128350) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Waterford — Halfmoon Fort1689
On Hudson River Road (U.S. 4), on the right when traveling north.
Defense outpost of Albany. Site of "Ye Halfmoon” settlement 1764 on "Great Road” to Canada — Map (db m129177) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Waterford — Henry HudsonSeptember 22, 1609
On Hudson River Road (U.S. 4) just north of Loxk One Road, on the right when traveling north.
Stopped near here by shallow water in Hudson River in search for Northwest Passage — Map (db m129183) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Waterford — Oakcliff
On Church Hill Road when traveling east.
A distinguished example of Revival architecture in Saratoga County, c. 1840. Built by Judge Duncan McMartin. Residence of prominate businessman and civic leader T.G. Younglove 1850-82.

Restored 1988 by John Szemansco, Jr. — Map (db m128556) HM

New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Alplaus
On Alplaus Ave. at Bruce Drive, on the right when traveling west on Alplaus Ave..
Formerly “Aal Plaats” from Dutch meaning “place of eels.” French and Indians camped at Alplaus Creek on the eve of Schenectady Massacre 1690. — Map (db m125364) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Josias Swart Homestead
On New York State Route 5 at Johnson Road, on the right when traveling west on State Route 5.
Called the sixth flat, Josias Swart, b. 1653, received a deed from the Trustees of Schenectady August 5, 1713 — Map (db m130345) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Kinaquariones
On Touareuna Road, on the right when traveling west.
Site of archaic Algonkian village. Its corn pits yet remains. Through this vale ran a great and ancient path, trod by many races. — Map (db m130339) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Primitive Path
On West Glenville Road, on the left when traveling east.
Here ran a great and well-beaten path by the archaic Algonkin and other nations, going between the sea coast and the interior — Map (db m127348) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Sacandaga Road
On New York State Route 147 at Charlton Road, on the left when traveling north on State Route 147.
Cut through primitive forest by early settlers along an Indian trail leading Sacandaga Region and Canada — Map (db m126936) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Niskayuna — The Ferry Road Bridge & Its Surroundings… A Brief History
Near Ferry Road.
This area was the site of rich Native American agricultural fields and extensive trade paths. In the 17th century and 18th centuries, Dutch colonists and other European settlers farmed here and transported their goods on those same paths. Boats . . . — Map (db m126661) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Rotterdam — George WestinghouseAn American Leader — Veteran - Inventor - Businessman —
On Broadway at Westinghouse Place, in the median on Broadway.
Born October 6, 1846    Central Bridge, New York Died March 12, 1914    Buried in Arlington National Cemetery Educated in Schenectady   Attended Union College Civil War Veteran of the Union Army and Navy 1863,1865 Founded Westinghouse Corp. . . . — Map (db m134086) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Circa 1824Mary and James Carley House
On Washington Street, on the left when traveling north.
Built on land granted in 1662 to Jacques Van Slyck, son of a Mohawk woman, Otstoch, and Cornelius Van Slyck. Site of Van Slyck’s tavern 1671. Structure replaces the buildings destroyed in the Great Fire of 1819. — Map (db m128802) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Edison and SteinmetzTwo founding fathers of electricity
On Erie Boulevard at South Ferry Street, on the right when traveling south on Erie Boulevard.
Thomas Edison was a brilliant inventor and entrepreneur. Charles Steinmetz was a mathematical genius in the field of electrical engineering. Both epitomized the American dream for success. Edison was profoundly hearing-impaired and Steinmetz . . . — Map (db m130634) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — John Howard Payne
On Union Street at Library Lane, on the right when traveling west on Union Street.
To the memory of John Howard Payne, the author of Home Sweet Home. A student at Union College in the Class of 1810. ‘Mid the pleasures and palaces Though I may roam Be it ever so humble There’s no place like home A charm from the . . . — Map (db m130631) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — The King’s HighwayRoute of
On Kings Road, on the right when traveling south.
The main route west until 1799. — Map (db m127557) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Toll House1820
On Front Street, on the right when traveling east.
Constructed for Dr. Daniel J. Toll, physician — Map (db m128756) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Jefferson — Jefferson Academy
On North Harpersfield Road (County Route 2A) at Park Avenue, on the left when traveling west on North Harpersfield Road.
1812, one of the first schools of its kind built in Schoharie County by public subscription. Rev. Wm. Salisbury, Principal — Map (db m137527) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Middleburgh — Bouck's Island
On New York State Route 30, on the left when traveling south.
Home of William C. Bouck, born 1786-died 1859. Governor of State of New York, 1842-44. — Map (db m130242) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Middleburgh — Hon. Jonathan Danforth Home
On Main Street at Gorge Street, on the left on Main Street.
Built 1796. Rev. soldier who aided the establishment of Schoharie Co. Town of Middleburgh, and Loonenburg Turnpike. — Map (db m130288) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Hartman's Dorf
On New York State Route 30, on the left when traveling south.
Founded 1712 by Hartman Winedecker as a home for Palatines. — Map (db m130285) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Johannes BallSite of Home of
On New York State Route 30, on the left when traveling north.
Occupied by Continental soldiers during Revolution until completion of Old Stone Fort. — Map (db m132085) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Schoharie
On Main Street (New York State Route 30), on the left when traveling south.
Also called Fountaintown. Original Villages of Brunnen Dorf, Smith's Dorf, Fox Dorf. — Map (db m130245) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Sharon Springs — Chestnut Street Schoolhousecirca 1864-1931
On Main Street (New York State Route 10), on the right when traveling north.
Moved to this location 1989. This sign given in memory of Clarence V. Van Dewerker and his schoolmates by his wife Myrtle Van Dewerker and children Robert and Susan. Clarence was one of the last students to attend the school. Sylvia Somers Lane was . . . — Map (db m131009) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Sharon Springs — Historic Main Street Tour
On Main Street (New York State Route 10), on the left when traveling north.
Prominent community businessman, Jacob Anthony, constructed the Anthony House in 1857. After an 1860 fire destroyed the enormous hotel, Anthony built the United States Hotel (top left) on the same site the following year. Eighteen years later, in . . . — Map (db m131035) HM
New York (Ulster County), Highmount — Ulster County
On New York State Route 28, on the left when traveling west.
One of original counties of New York State 1683. Received its name from the earldom in Ireland of James, Duke of York. — Map (db m132111) HM
New York (Ulster County), Olivebridge — Olivebridge
On New York State Route 213, on the right when traveling south.
United Methodist Church. Congregation formed circa 1810, building erected 1823. Rebuilt 1867, after a fire. We welcome you to attend! — Map (db m132148) HM
New York (Warren County), Glens Falls — City Park’s Development
On Ridge Street (New York State Route 9L) at Maple Street, on the left when traveling north on Ridge Street.
Today,City Park serves as a hub for recreation and relaxation for residents and visitors to Glens Falls. The park also plays host to several annual events, concerts, and weddings. Historically, the area now known as City Park was once a bustling . . . — Map (db m138815) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake Luzerne — First Wood Pulp Grinder
Near Mill Street.
In this building was installed in 1870 the first wood pulp grinder made in this country. Here, for the first time, wood pulp was produced and sold in large quantities and the success of the industry was assured. — Map (db m136405) HM
New York (Washington County), Cambridge — Old White Church Cemetery
On East Main Street (U.S. 22), on the right when traveling north.
Twenty Revolutionary War soldiers rest here — Map (db m129214) HM WM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Rogers Island
On Rogers Island Road 0.3 miles south of New York State Highway 197, on the right when traveling south.
Bivouac Area Major Robert Rogers and his ten Ranger Companies during the French and Indian Wars 1755 - 1759 Site of Fort Nicholson           1709 Fort Lydius                 1731 Fort Lyman           . . . — Map (db m17776) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — The Hudson River at Fort Edward, NYIndustrial Growth
On Rogers Island Drive, in the median.
The natural features of the Hudson River, especially its falls, are largely responsible for the region’s industrial development. In 1765, Albert Baker settled along this part of the river and created the area’s first water-powered mill. Iron . . . — Map (db m134633) HM
New York (Washington County), Granville — Erected 1789
On New York State Route 149, on the left when traveling east.
The first congregational church in the Town of Granville — Map (db m131725) HM
New York (Washington County), Greenwich — Old Continental Road
On New York State Route 372 at Colonel Baum Road, on the left when traveling west on State Route 372.
Over which a detachment of Burgonye’s army under Col. Baum passed on its way to Bennington, VT Aug. 13, 1777. — Map (db m132512) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — The Ghost Story of Duncan Campbell1758 Ticonderoga Campaign
Near Broadway (U.S. 4), on the right when traveling north.
One evening, Duncan Campbell, Laird of Inverawe, was disturbed by a knock on his door. surprised to confront a desperate highlander seeing refuge. He had killed a man and had Duncan swear on his dirk that he would protect him according to ancient . . . — Map (db m136216) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — Townsend Harris1804-1878
On Main Street (U.S. 4) at Locust Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street.
First United States Consul General to Japan. Founder of the College of the City of New York. Born in Sandy Hill, N.Y., opposite the Village Green. More than any other man , he kept the doors of Japan open to the outside world and opened . . . — Map (db m136210) HM
New York (Washington County), Salem — 1852 Rail Yard
On North Main Street (New York State Route 22), on the right when traveling south.
Delaware & Hudson railroad with 14 engine roundhouse, back shop, passenger depot, freight bldg., and ice house built by Irish railworkers — Map (db m131633) HM
New York (Wayne County), Clyde — Blockhouse Creek
On New York State Route 31, on the right when traveling east.
Filled in during railroad construction in the 1850's, this stream was originally a ravine known to the Iroquois as "Little Waters", and to early settlers as Vanderbilt Creek. In the 1700's it formed part of the Indian trail between Sodus Bay . . . — Map (db m131868) HM
New York (Wayne County), Clyde — Erie Mansion B&B
On W Genesee Street at Lock Street, on the left when traveling east on W Genesee Street.
Historically haunted — Map (db m131848) HM
New York (Wayne County), Sodus Point — Historic Sodus Point
On New York State Route 14, on the right when traveling north.
From 1900 to 1929, the Rochester and Sodus Bay Railroad ran trolleys from Rochester to Sodus Point; a distance of 44 miles. It was known as The Royal Blue Line due to the fact that at first, all the trolley cars were painted a royal blue color. In . . . — Map (db m129810) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Milford — Milford
On Glendale Milford Road north of U.S. 50, on the left when traveling north.
Home of first Methodist class in Northwest Territory, 1797 — Map (db m133625) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Galena — Galena War MemorialLest We Forget - World War II
On Park Street at Middle Street, on the right when traveling west on Park Street.
David Bricker, Lee Fetherole, Vincent Linkekugel, Andrew McFarland, Jr., and George J. Phillips were indicated as having died while in service. further names were not transcribed. — Map (db m134146) WM
Ohio (Fayette County), Washington Court House — 1-24 — Fayette County Court House / Washington Court House Riot of 1894Archibald M. Willard Murals
On East Court Street (U.S. 22) at North Main Street, on the left when traveling east on East Court Street.
Fayette County Court House Opened on May 1, 1885, this is the third Fayette County Court House building. Ohio artist Archibald Willard, who is best known for the patriotic painting, "The Spirit of '76," was commissioned by the firm Cooks . . . — Map (db m106289) HM
Ohio (Franklin County), New Albany — Rocky Fork Metro Park
Near Walnut Road.
This 1200-acre park is an enduring example of what is possible when vision and collaboration come together for the common good. The idea of creating this park can be traced to Keith Myers, the New Albany Village Planner from 1991 to 2012. The . . . — Map (db m133296) HM
Ohio (Greene County), Dayton — In Commemoration of the Courage, Perseverance and Achievement of Wilbur and Orville Wright
On Memorial Drive.
Through original research the Wright Brothers acquired scientific Knowledge and developed theories of aerodynamics which with their invention of aileron control enabled them in 1903 to build and fly at Kitty Hawk the first power-driven man-carrying . . . — Map (db m132781) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Glendale — 77-51 — Eckstein School1915-1958
On Washington Avenue at Church Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Washington Avenue.
Eckstein Elementary School operated on this site from 1915-1958 serving the Glendale's Negro Children from Kindergarten through eighth grade. The school was named in honor of Eleanor Eckstein, who taught the children at various locations in this . . . — Map (db m133585) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Newtown — 90-31 — Clark Stone House
On Clough Pike at Huntley Road, on the left when traveling east on Clough Pike.
The Clark Stone House, constructed around 1801 by James Clark (1765-1852), is one of the oldest standing stone houses in Ohio. Clark, who served as a drummer in the Battle of Yorktown (1781), came with his family to Anderson Township in 1797 and . . . — Map (db m133276) HM
Ohio (Madison County), Mount Sterling — Mt. Sterling
On Ohio Route 56 near East Main Street, on the right when traveling east.
Home of John W. Bricker Governor and United States Senator — Map (db m133033) HM
Ohio (Perry County), Somerset — Nellie Sheridan Wilson1869-1947
On West Main Street (U.S. 22) at Columbus Street (Ohio Route 13), on the right when traveling east on West Main Street.
Nellie Sheridan was born into a traditional Irish family but was not content to fill the usual role of a 19th century woman working only inside the home. Somerset's first female postmaster and one of the youngest one in U.S. history, Nellie at 19 . . . — Map (db m133508) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Atlantic Motor Oil
On Smock Boulevard (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling north.
ATLANTIC REFINING COMPANY 1859: Charles Lockhart and William Frew came to this region to drill for oil on the south bank of the Allegheny across from the mouth of Oil Creek in Venango County. Subsequently they bought out the Tarr Farm and . . . — Map (db m134083) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Gulf
On Pennsylvania Route 8 when traveling north.
Gulf Oil was one of the many companies formed at Spindletop in January 1901. In late 1901, James M. Guffey bought out the interests of his partners in the Lucas Well (Galey and Lucas) and formed the J.M. Guffey Petroleum Company. Guffey received . . . — Map (db m133640) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Penn-Drake Motor Oils
On Smock Boulevard (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling north.
The Penn Drake brand was originated by the American Oil Works of Titusville. Michael Heisman (John Heisman's father), Frank VonTacky, William Teege, and Louis Walz created the American Oil Works in Titusville in 1885. Pennsylvania Refining . . . — Map (db m133880) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — ValvolinePennsylvania Motor Oils
On Smock Boulevard (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling north.
In 1867 Dr. John Ellis developed cylinder oils in Pennsylvania and in 1873 was awarded a trademark for Valvoline. He marketed it as superior in quality to lard and fat in lubrication and was used by many railroads. Valvoline became the standard . . . — Map (db m133883) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Oil City — McClintock's StoryOwners and Producers from 1859 to 2000
On Waitz Road.
Brewer, Watson & Company signed the first oil lease for land with Hamilton McClintock in 1869 and began drilling in 1860. On May 6, 2000, the oil well they drilled in 1861 was accepted by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in recognition of the . . . — Map (db m133605) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Rouseville — Welcome to Petroleum Centre
Near State Park Road at Petroleum Centre Road.
Return to the oil boom era of the 1860s. Follow these signs, and let your mental time machine transport you to the noisy hustle and bustle of Washington and Main streets, the major thoroughfares of boomtown Petroleum Centre. Petroleum Centre, . . . — Map (db m134842) HM
Pennsylvania (Warren County), Warren — In Honor1898-1902
On Hickory Bridge at Crescent Park, on the left when traveling south on Hickory Bridge.
In honor of those of Warren County who served in Spanish-American War Philippine Insurrection and China Relief Expedition — Map (db m133554) WM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Danville — Danville Civil War Memorial
On Park Street.
In Honor Of The Brave Men Of Danville Who Victoriously Defended The Union During The War Of The Rebellion 1861- 1865 Commissioned Officers Colonel Addison W. Preston Captain James M. Ayer Captain Charles D. Brainerd Captain . . . — Map (db m140332) WM
Vermont (Essex County), Lunenburgh — Lunenburgh Civil War Memorial
On West Main Street (U.S. 2) at Park Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Main Street.
In memory of our comrades in the Rebellion 1861 to 1865 Captains John S. Clark Elben J. Hartshorn Lieuts. Geo. P. French Nathan C. Cheney George W. Hill Sergeants Marshall W. Wright Solo L. Simonds Levi H. . . . — Map (db m140149) WM
Vermont (Franklin County), St. Albans — St. Albans World War Memorial
On S Main Street (U.S. 7) at Lake Street, on the right on S Main Street.
In Honor of Those Citizens of St. Albans Who at the Call of Their Country Gave Their Lives in the World War 1917-1918 This Memorial is Dedicated by A Grateful Community — Map (db m140578) WM
Vermont (Rutland County), Protor — Crown Point Road
On Cross Street at West Street, on the right when traveling south on Cross Street.
Built by Gen. Amherst 1759 — Map (db m136548) HM
Vermont (Rutland County), Rutland — Rutland G.A.R. Memorial
On South Main Street (U.S. 7) near Center Street (Business U.S. 4), on the left when traveling north.
Dedicated to the memory of the Grand Army of the Republic — Map (db m136416) WM
Vermont (Rutland County), Wallingford — Wallingford Revolutionary War Memorial
On South Main Street (U.S. 7) at Church Street, on the right when traveling north on South Main Street.
In grateful memory of the Revolutionary soldiers who went from the town of Wallingford. — Map (db m136356) WM

1121 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 921
Paid Advertisement