Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

1218 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 are listed. Previous 200 Next 818
 
Alplaus Marker image, Touch for more information
By Steve Stoessel, October 24, 2018
Alplaus Marker
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — Canso Soldiers Memorial
On Marine Drive (Nova Scotia Route 16), on the left when traveling east.
To the Glory of God and in loving memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice in the World War Canso Louis Dort, Vernon Earle, Roy Greencorn, Lee Martin Hart, Arthur S. Horton, James B. Keating, Percy J. Lumsden, James Arthur Manuel, . . . — Map (db m140441) WM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Ocean Terminals/le terminal ocean terminals
Near Marginal Road.
National Historic Civil Engineering Site Ocean Terminals 1912-1928 A tribute to the civil engineers and contractors who designed and built these ocean terminals Canadian Society for Civil Engineering June 1998 Site historique . . . — Map (db m139330) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Women and the Second World War/Les femmes et la Seconde Guerre mondiale1939-1945
Women in Canada and Newfoundland significantly contributed to Allied victory. Whereas women were military nurses during the First World War, more than 50,000 were now serving in uniform as non-combatants in all three armed services . . . — Map (db m139663) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Petit Etang — Canada War Memorial
On Cabot Trail when traveling north.
They will never know the beauty of this place see the seasons change, enjoy nature's chorus, all we enjoy we owe to them, men and women who lie buried in the earth of foreign lands and in the Seven Seas dedicated to the memory of Canadians who . . . — Map (db m139476) WM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Grand Pré — Grand Pre Marsh Body1760-1995
On Grand Pré Road at Miner Road, on the right when traveling north on Grand Pré Road.
This plaque commemorates the 235th year of the Grand Pre Marsh Body 1760-1995 in honour of the dykeland farmers, past and present, for their 235 years of dedication and sacrifice, and their continuing struggle to protect and maintain these . . . — Map (db m138789) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Grand Pré — The Landscape of Grand Pré/Le Paysage de Grand-PréHow the Battle Unfolded/Le déroulement de la bataille
On Grand Pré Road at Old Post Road, on the right when traveling north on Grand Pré Road.
How the Battle Unfolded During the first half of the 18th century, France and Great Britain were at war for imperial domination of North America. Most Acadians, including those at Grand Pré, wanted to stay out of the conflict and be . . . — Map (db m140430) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Horton Landing — Democracy and the New England Planters/La démocratie et les Planters de la Nouvelle-Angleterre
Near Wharf Road.
To entice the Planters to settle in Nova Scotia, the British colonial administration introduced an elected legislature in 1758, a form of representative government they had long known in New England. In the decades after their settlement . . . — Map (db m140209) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Horton Landing — New England Planters/Les planters de la Nouvelle-Angeleterre
Near Wharf Road.
In 1759, New England farmers and fishermen sent agents to Halifax to discuss with Governor Lawrence the settlement of the undeveloped areas of the province. Substantial immigration began in 1760 and, by late 1763, several thousand . . . — Map (db m140207) HM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Greenwich — The Sanderson Farm/La ferme Sanderson
Near Prince Edward Island Route 313.
It is believed that Charles Sanderson started farming here around 1820. Until the farm was sold in the early 197os, different generations of Sandersons cared for this land. Always mindful of the ever-changing sand dunes, they helped . . . — Map (db m139448) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Cavendish — Cavendish Dunelands Trail/Cavendish Sentier DunelandsWreck of the Marco Polo/L'épave du Marco Polo
Near Gulf Shore Parkway West.
25 July, 1883. Thanks to a weekend of violent storms there is a heavy sea running. A few farmers watch with astonishment as a magnificent sailing vessel, driven by a mountain of canvas, slams onto the Cavendish sandbars. The air iš alive . . . — Map (db m139391) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Springbrook — Springbrook World War II Memorial
On Prince Edward Island Route 20 0.5 kilometers south of Prince Edward Island Route 234, on the left when traveling north.
Dedicated To The Memory Of Our Youth Who Served In World War II Sgt. Elmer S. Macleod 1915 - 1944 Killed In Italy W.O.2 Allison F.W. Macleod 1920 – 1943 Missing In Malta Pte. W. Wallace Bernard 1904 -1945 Died . . . — Map (db m140158) WM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Wood Islands — The Wood Islands Family of Lighthouses
Near Lighthouse Road.
The three buildings on this site represent a "family” and all were once navigational aids. The lighthouse beacon is still maintained by the Canadian Coast Guard as part of the marine communication system used by ship traffic in the . . . — Map (db m138223) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Burlington — Duncan HouseBurlington Historical District — c. 1910 —
On Gallatin Street, on the right when traveling west.
This outstanding c. 1910 Bungalow home incorporates many Arts & Crafts design elements including battered porch columns, 3-over-1 window sash, and a low pitched roof. It was built at the beginning of mini-building boom in Burlington that lasted . . . — Map (db m133142) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Hebron — 1640 — Center of Population of U.S. in 1880
Near Kentucky Route 236, on the right when traveling south.
The exact center of the population of the United States in 1880 was located within a few hundred yards of this plaque. North latitude 39° 4' 8" West longitude 84° 39' 40" Population base in 1880 was 49,371,340. — Map (db m133070) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Hebron — Crash of TWA Flight 128
On Petersburg Road (Kentucky Route 20) at Aviation Boulevard, on the left when traveling east on Petersburg Road.
TWA flight 128, tail #N821TW, was making an approach in light snow when it crashed into an orchard approximately 1,000 feet north of here, on November 20. 1967 at 8:57 p.m. The four-engine Convair 880 was en route from Los Angeles . . . — Map (db m133136) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Richwood — 1387 — Richwood Presbyterian Church
On Route 338 at Richwood Church Road, on the right when traveling west on Route 338.
Services have been held by this old church continuously since it was founded in 1834 by Joseph Cabell Harrison, first pastor. He and cousin John Breckinridge in 1824 founded early religious paper in Ky. A cousin of Pres. William H. Harrison. . . . — Map (db m133216) HM
Kentucky (Kenton County), Covington — 1601 — Roebling Suspension Bridge
On Riverside Drive at Riverside Place, on the right when traveling west on Riverside Drive.
First bridge to span Ohio River, connecting Kentucky and Ohio. John Augustus Roebling engineer, Amos Shinkle, president of Covington- Cincinnati Bridge Co. The formal opening of this bridge celebrated, Jan. 1, 1867. A prototype for . . . — Map (db m78978) HM
Maine (Knox County), Rockport — The Rockport Lime Kilns
Near Pascal Avenue.
During the 19th Century, Rockport was a major supplier of lime to East Coast markets. These kilns converted limestone rock supplied by 15 local quarries into lime used to make mortar & finish plaster. The burned lime was packed into wooden casks and . . . — Map (db m124348) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Lancaster — 6 — Lancaster N. H.: Stories of People and PlacesWilder-Holton House
On Route 3 at U.S. 2, on the right when traveling south on Route 3.
The house was built by Jonas Wilder in 1780 and served as a place for town and religious meetings as well as an inn for travelers. The Holton family later acquired it and owned it for over a century. In 1964 the Holton family sold the house to . . . — Map (db m140029) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Executive Mansion
On Eagle Street at Elm Street, on the right when traveling south on Eagle Street.
Residence of the Governors of New York State — Map (db m142457) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Altamont, New YorkThe Museum in the Streets
On Main Street (New York State Route 146) at Gun Club Road, on the right when traveling west on Main Street.
WELCOME TO ALTAMONT The Village of Altamont and its immediate surroundings were once part of a tract of land deeded in 1630 by the Dutch West India Company to Killian Van Rensselaer (c. 1586-1643),a wealthy 17th century Dutch diamond and pearl . . . — Map (db m132693) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 16 — St. John’s Lutheran ChurchAltamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets —
On Maple Avenue (New York State Route 146), on the right when traveling west.
St. John’s Lutheran Church, designed by Albany architect Charles Nichols and built by contractor George Rockefeller in 1871-72 was the first church built in Knowersville. The original church building was 42 x 62 feet and, completely . . . — Map (db m131427) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 14 — The Carriage WorksAltamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets —
On Maple Avenue (New York State Route 146), on the left when traveling north.
HENRY LOCKWOOD BUILT THE FIRST carriage factory in Knowersville in 1874. The VanBenscoten brothers and Charles B. Warner operated the business until the April 1886 Great Fire consumed the original building and much of the stock. . . . — Map (db m131468) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — 347 — Anti-Rent
On New York State Route 443.
Convention held here January 15 1845. Delegates from 11 counties petitioned state to end unjust land lease system — Map (db m131413) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Cohoes Tribute
On Columbia Street (New York State Route 470) at Amity Street, on the left when traveling west on Columbia Street.
This monument is dedicated to the Men of Cohoes who on land or on sea risked their lives that this Nation might endure — Map (db m131753) WM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Old Military CrossingLoudon’s Ford
On Cohoes-Crescent Road, on the right when traveling north.
British and Continental Army ford. Protected August September 1777 by Generals Enoch Poor and Benedict Arnold. — Map (db m138976) HM
New York (Albany County), Ferura Bush — Slingerland-Lagrange Farm
On LaGrange Lane 0.1 miles north of Indian Fields Road (State Highway 32), on the right when traveling north.
Slingerland- Lagrange Farm Family Owned 12 Generations. Stone House Built c.1750's. Home of Revolutionary War Soldier Albert Slingerland. — Map (db m140968) HM
New York (Albany County), Medusa — Medusa War Memorial
On Fox Creek Road (County Route 351), on the left when traveling west.
Lest We Forget In recognition of All who served and died For our Country — Map (db m136059) WM
New York (Albany County), New Salem — Rev. Harmanus Van Huysen Home
On New Scotland Road (New York State Route 85) at Helderhill Road, on the left when traveling west on New Scotland Road.
Original part built c. 1816. revolutionary War Captain. Served 3 area churches from 1794-1825. His descendants lived in home until 1922. — Map (db m136073) HM
New York (Albany County), Preston-Potter Hollow — Dr. Samuel Preston
On New York State Route 145, on the left when traveling south.
Settled here in 1789 and gave his name to Preston Hollow. He built the first sawmill and gristmill — Map (db m131419) HM
New York (Albany County), Rensselaerville — Baptist Church
On Delaware Turnpike (New York State Route 85), on the right when traveling south.
Organized Aug. 19, 1796. First ministers: Truman Beeman Ephraim Crocker Reuben Winegar Jr. Present church built in 1836 — Map (db m136128) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — Cider Mill
On Grove Street at Voorheesville Avenue (County Route 306), on the left when traveling east on Grove Street.
Empire Cider & Vinegar Co. estab. 1890; became Duffy-Mott of Mott’s Apple Juice fame. Employed 200 making cider, vinegar, juices. Closed 1955. — Map (db m142345) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Early Doctor
On New York State Route 32, on the right when traveling south.
Dr. Jonathan Prosser of Dutchess County settled on this farm in 1788 — Map (db m129504) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Grant & Eadie
On New York State Route 143 at Myers Road, on the right when traveling west on State Route 143.
Early storekeepers. Made potash at Chesterville, 1798. — Map (db m135151) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Indian Trail
On Switzkill Road (County Route 1), on the right when traveling east.
Old Indian trail led through this valley to the Switzkill. Indian camp ground near here. — Map (db m135092) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Myers Farm
On Myers Road (County Route 401), on the right.
Philip Myers of Germany in 1763 built a log house at Chesterville, married a daughter of Nicholas Stoddard and died 1813 — Map (db m135149) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Reformed Church
On New York State Route 143, on the right when traveling west.
First church in town. Organized 1793. Original site five miles south of here — Map (db m135148) HM
New York (Broome County), Vestal — 5 — Canal Towpath
On Front Street at Main Street, on the right when traveling west on Front Street.
Remnant of 1865 Chenango Canal Extension towpath located between Front St & Kimble Rd. abandoned 1872 before extension completed. — Map (db m141701) HM
New York (Clinton County), Peru — Peru’s First Settler
On U.S. 9, on the right when traveling north.
William Hay, a Scotsman, was Peru's first settler. He built his house in this vicinity in 1772. Hay had a friendly relationship with Benedict Arnold and witnessed the "Battle of Valcour.” The town's first marriage was between . . . — Map (db m136672) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — John Addoms
On Cumberland Head Road, on the left when traveling east.
Home of John Addoms. Built 1790. Major and surveyor during entire period of Revolution — Map (db m136751) HM
New York (Columbia County), Ancram — Iron Works
On New York State Route 82, on the right when traveling south.
Site of iron works, first in Colony of New York, had 4 forges. Founded by Robert R. Livingston 1743. Demolished 1854 — Map (db m137997) HM
New York (Columbia County), Clermont — St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church1902
On County Route 19 at County Route 8, on the left when traveling south on County Route 19.
First church on this site 1861 destroyed by fire 1901. N.Y.S. & National Historical RegistriesMap (db m137802) HM
New York (Columbia County), Germantown — Sharp’s Landing
On New York State Route 9G, on the left when traveling north.
Active in trading in 1684. — Map (db m132569) HM
New York (Columbia County), Ghent — Ghent Honor Roll
On New York State Route 66 at Church Street, on the right when traveling south on State Route 66.
Honored Patriots who answered the call of their country in the Great World War 1917-1918 The Government of the People, by the People, for the People, shall not perish from the Earth. --Abraham Lincoln (Names . . . — Map (db m136010) WM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Columbia County
On New York State Route 9G, on the right when traveling north.
Separated from Albany Co. April 4, 1786. Name- from Columbus, discoverer of America. — Map (db m132570) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Columbia County
On New York State Route 9G at New York State Route 23, on the right on State Route 9G.
Separated from Albany Co. April 4, 1786. Name- from Columbus, discoverer of America. — Map (db m137747) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Kitchen Garden
This panoramic image combines two photographs that show the kitchen garden and barnyard as they looked about 1900. Both photographs were taken from a location out in the field behind you (south) looking north. From the far right in the photograph, . . . — Map (db m132329) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Park and Lake
Near Olana State Historic Site, on the right when traveling north.
Frederic Church transformed a treeless hillside into the wooded park you see across the lake. There, on 31 acres, he planted hundreds of trees and shrubs, singly and in clumps, in a landscape design conceived in the Picturesque Style (a . . . — Map (db m132074) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Studio and Viewshed
Although Frederic Church painted at his Hudson Valley farm from the time he purchased it in 1860, he did not build a studio here until about 1864-65. On the site where you are standing, he erected a "plain but ample” 24-foot-square, . . . — Map (db m137805) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Warren Inn
On Warren Street, on the right when traveling east.
In 1958 on this historic site the first motel ever converted from a movie theater and located in a small community was opened — Map (db m130586) HM
New York (Columbia County), New Lebanon — Ezra Gates
On U.S. 20.
Homestead of Ezra Gates, Revolutionary soldier 1775-1780. Still in possession of Gates family. — Map (db m135062) HM
New York (Columbia County), Stuyvesant — Benjamin F. Butler
On New York State Route 9J, on the left when traveling north.
Born here 1795 - died 1858 A reviser of state laws; Regent 1829-32; Attorney General U.S. 1833-38; acting Sec. of War 1836-37 — Map (db m132613) HM
New York (Columbia County), Stuyvesant — Newton Hook
On New York State Route 9J, on the left when traveling north.
Also known as Nutten Hooke, Coxsackie Station. Early industrial area. Sites of ferry 1820, Cary Brick 1902, R&W Scott Ice Co., 1885. — Map (db m132615) HM
New York (Delaware County), Bloomville — First Milk Pasteurization1893
On New York State Route 10 0.4 miles north of Bloomfield-West Harpersfield Road (County Route 33), on the right when traveling north.
Sheffield Farms Creamery First in U.S. to pasteurize milk commercially — Map (db m136096) HM
New York (Delaware County), Delhi — Christian Church at Fitch's Bridge
On New York State Route 19, on the left when traveling south.
Congregation formed 1822 promoting union with all Christians. Gideon Frisbee leased this land to erect a house of worship to trustees Newell Dodge, Putnam Farrington, Daniel Frisbee, John Hammond and Clark Sloat later razed. The present church, . . . — Map (db m137501) HM
New York (Delaware County), Delhi — Fitches Crossing Covered Bridge
On Fitches Bridge Road at Delhi-South Kortright Road (County Route 18), on the right when traveling north on Fitches Bridge Road.
Built in 1870 by James Frazier & James Warren, it originally spanned the Delaware at Kingston Street in Delhi. Replaced by an iron bridge in 1885, it was moved by David Wright and a town crew to this site known as Fitches Crossing. . . . — Map (db m137499) HM
New York (Delaware County), Walton — Dr. Platt Townsend
On Delaware Street (Route 10), on the right when traveling south.
Homestead of Dr Platt Townsend Built 1796 Leader of the founders of Walton. — Map (db m137625) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millerton — Irondale Cemetery
On North Elm Avenue (New York State Route 22), on the right when traveling south.
Irondale, Millerton, Town of North East. Old Stone 1818. — Map (db m135709) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millerton — Spencer's CornersNorth East Post Office
On Rudd Pond Road near Merwin Road, on the right when traveling south.
May 1, 1773, first Baptist covenant meeting in North East held at home of Rev. Simon Dakin, near here. — Map (db m138074) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Harris Scythe Works
On Church Street (New York State Route 199), on the left when traveling west.
Site of Harris Scythe Works. Founded by John Harris about 1765. operations ceased 1864. — Map (db m135792) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Pine Plains
On Church Street (New York State Route 199), on the right when traveling west.
Organized 1823. Named to commemorate pine trees that grew on the plains. Part of Northeast 1788. Part of Little Nine Partners 1706. — Map (db m135793) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Stanfordville — Freedom Square Park
On New York State Route 82, on the right when traveling east.
Dedicated to the 140 Civil War soldiers of Stanford “Our cause is a good and just one” Talmadge Wood, 156th N.Y. Vol. Inf. Mortally Wounded at Gettysburg July 3, 1863 — Map (db m105603) WM
New York (Fulton County), Ephratah — Saltsman's Hotel
On New York State Route 10 at Co. 140 and Woods Road (County Route 140), on the right when traveling south on State Route 10.
Built by Peter Schram in early 1800. Established as Apollo Ballroom, eatery with stabling. Visited by Governors Rockefeller, FDR — Map (db m131591) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnston — 372 — Suffrage Pioneer
On North William Street near Church Street, on the left when traveling north.
Elizabeth Cady Stanton, 1815-1902. Her father practiced law here in early 19th C. inspiring her fight for women's rights — Map (db m136958) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — Johnson Hall / The Landscape of Johnson Hall
Near Hall Avenue.
Johnson Hall A man of Sir William’s position required a grand home to impress his many guests who arrived for political, financial, and diplomatic discussions. Commitments in the French and Indian War(1754-63), however, kept him from . . . — Map (db m136523) HM
New York (Fulton County), Northville — History of Ray Hubbell
Near South Main Street.
Many people in Northville and around Northville know about the return of the Chimney Swifts, but not many people know about Mr. Ray Hubbell. Each year the Chimney Swifts would return to their home in the chimney that was on the corner of 2nd Street . . . — Map (db m137132) HM
New York (Fulton County), Wheelerville — Site of Wheelerville Tannery
On New York State Route 29A, on the left when traveling west.
Wheeler Chaflin Company 1865 ca. 1888 — Map (db m136983) HM
New York (Genesee County), Le Roy — 117 — Le Roy Post Office
On Main Street (New York State Route 5) at Mill Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street.
Le Roy post office has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1989 by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m142119) HM
New York (Genesee County), Le Roy — Le Roy World War I Memorial1918 - 2018
On Main Street (New York State Route 5) at Wolcott Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
In remembrance of those from LeRoy who served May we never forget those who died George Botts · Cecelia Cochran · Errol Crittenden · Leo Fiorito · Thomas Illes · Edward Kaine · Percy Luttrel · Patrick Molyneaux · Edgar Murrel · George Ripton · . . . — Map (db m142311) WM
New York (Genesee County), LeRoy — Herman Le Roy's Mill
On Main Street (New York State Route 5) 0 miles east of Mill Street, on the right when traveling west. Reported missing.
Here the natural water power potential of Old Buttermilk Falls determined not only the village site, but in 1803, the erection of Stoddard and Platt's Pioneer Grist Mill. In 1822 Herman Le Roy, for whom the town was named, replaced this with a much . . . — Map (db m142118) HM
New York (Greene County), Catskill — Hamlet of Cementon
On U.S. 9W, on the right when traveling north.
At one time, had an elementary school, a church, a railroad station, a post office, 5 grocery stores, a large cement plant, 1 ice house & a population of about 800 — Map (db m129481) HM
New York (Greene County), Coxsackie — 562 — Village Cemetery
On Mansion Street (New York State Route 385), on the left when traveling west.
"Mansion St. Cemetery" Resting place of residents and veterans 1826-1974. Burials as early as 1800 were transferred here. — Map (db m135678) HM
New York (Greene County), East Durham — John E. Lawe(February 26, 1919 - January 5,1989) — Champion of the Working Man —
Near Route 145, on the right when traveling south.
John Edward Lawe, stood tall in the U.S. labor movement, a union man all his working life: 35 years with the Transport Workers Union of America, AFL-CIO as a dues-paying member, officer and international president (1985-1989). He was a dynamic . . . — Map (db m131425) HM
New York (Greene County), Greenville — Brandy Hill
On County Highway 26 at Newly Road, on the right when traveling west on County Highway 26.
Brandy Hill Settled 1790's by Rundle and Butler Families. Site of Cider Mill, Hotel, Stage Coach Stop, Tin Shop, Church, Saw Mill and Farms — Map (db m140971) HM
New York (Greene County), Greenville — Talmage-Atwater
On New York State Route 32, on the left when traveling south.
Home of families for 170 years. Built in 1792. — Map (db m129495) HM
New York (Greene County), Leeds — Old Inn
On Main Street at Church Street, on the left when traveling east on Main Street.
Old inn of Martin G. Schuneman. Built 1796 — Map (db m130543) HM
New York (Greene County), Prattsville — Col. Zadock Pratt
On Main Street (New York State Route 23), on the right when traveling west.
Homestead of town founder Col. Zadock Pratt. Tanner, banker, legislator. Planned village, built homes and world's largest tannery. Oct. 30, 1790 - April 5, 1871. — Map (db m132716) HM
New York (Hamilton County), Piseco — Riley Tavern
On Old Piseco Road 2 miles north of New York State Route 8, on the left when traveling north.
One of the oldest buildings in Piseco cicra 1880. Used as a tavern, and post office. Original location was just south of here — Map (db m137241) HM
New York (Hamilton County), Speculator — Site of Lake Pleasant House
On New York State Route 30 near Brooks Road, on the right when traveling north.
Built around 1858 by Edgar Dunnin. Later known as the Adirondack Hotel, Lee Fountien's Hotel, The Anibal Hotel, and the Brook's Hotel. Here French Louie the hermit, trapper and guide died in 1915. — Map (db m136273) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Cold Brook — In Grateful Memory
On New York State Route 8, on the left when traveling east.
In Grateful Memory of These who Gave all In World War II Malcolm L. Blue Walter L. Bullock Worden D. Coffin Clyde W. Davis Burr DeWitt Lawrence J. Fitzpatrick Earl Nelson Irwin Harry F. Kested Walter J. Lamphier . . . — Map (db m137092) WM
New York (Herkimer County), Ilion — Ilion Great War Memorial
On West Main Street, on the right when traveling west.
This tablet records the devotion of the sons of Ilion who gave their service to their country in the Great World War. In the hour of need they made the supreme gift of themselves going to meet toil, privation, suffering and death with steady . . . — Map (db m137315) WM
New York (Herkimer County), Little Falls — Honor Roll
On John Street at East Main Street, on the right when traveling east on John Street.
. . . — Map (db m131127) WM
New York (Herkimer County), Newport — Linus Yale
On Main Street (New York State Route 28) near North Street, on the right when traveling north.
Octagonal house built about 1850 by Linus Yale, inventor of the Yale Lock — Map (db m137004) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Newport — Newport Stone Arch Bridge
On Bridge Street, on the left when traveling west.
Built of native limestone in 1853, by Thomas Fox National Register 1992 — Map (db m137046) HM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Home of Milton Delano
On South Petersboro Road (Route 13), on the left when traveling north on South Petersboro Road.
Clerk of Town of Old Lenox. Twice elected Sheriff of Madison County. Member of Congress 1888-1892 — Map (db m139563) HM
New York (Monroe County), Pittsford — Auburn Line Park
On North Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
Location of Samuel Hildreth's stagecoach barns 1814-1834. Route of the Auburn & Rochester railroad line serving Pittsford from 1840-1989 — Map (db m131104) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Jefferson Avenue
On Jefferson Avenue at South Plymouth Avenue (New York State Route 383), on the right when traveling south on Jefferson Avenue.
Jefferson Avenue was initially settled in the late 1800s by German immigrants, Irish immigrants followed. In 1888 Jefferson Avenue was formed by the connection of Frances and North Francis Streets, and renamed in honor of President Thomas . . . — Map (db m135317) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — The Canalway Trail
On Kendrick Road, on the left when traveling west.
Nope. No mules here. The Erie Canal song relates “I’ve got a mule and her name is Sal.” Sorry, but Sal would not be pulling boats along this trail. This canal was constructed as the Barge Canal between 1905-1918 when boats traveled by . . . — Map (db m131796) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Welcome to Genesee Valley ParkGenesee Riverway Trail/Greenway Trail/Erie Canalway Trail
On South Plymouth Avenue at Elmwood Avenue, on the right when traveling east on South Plymouth Avenue.
Genesee Valley Park Genesee Valley Park was the second of the original parks in Rochester to be designed by Frederick Law Oldsted. Historic parkland with rolling lawn, groves of mature trees, and placid river views on both sides of the . . . — Map (db m131882) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — Manny’s Corners CemeteryAbout 1790
On New York State Route 67 at Truax Road, on the right when traveling west on State Route 67.
Contains graves of four Revolutionary soldiers. — Map (db m130669) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Canajoharie — Chester B. Hoke
On Mohawk Street west of Michigan Avenue, on the right when traveling east.
"Bromley" Hoke (1847-1913) Canajoharie native served in 54th Mass. Regt, one of nation's 1st black troops to fight in the Civil War — Map (db m137292) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Canajoharie — Northeastern Terminal
On Church Street (New York State Route 10) at Mohawk Street (New York State Route 5S), on the right when traveling south on Church Street.
This fountain marks the northeastern terminal of the Continental Road, constructed under the supervision of General James Clinton, to Otsego Lake June 17, 1778 — Map (db m130981) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Canajoharie — Sullivan-Clinton Campaign1779
On Rock Street (New York State Route 10), on the right when traveling south.
Portage route of General James Clinton's army Canajoharie to Otsego Lake 2000 men, 300 wagons, 200 batteaux and supplies moved overland — Map (db m130969) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fonda — Caughnawga Church
Approaching the site of old Caughnawga Church erected 1763 — Map (db m131356) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fonda — James Shanahan
On Mohawk Drive.
Irish born stone cutter donated Sacred Heart R.C. Church 1876. Purchased from Reformed Church-built 1840. Member state assembly 1869. — Map (db m130804) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fonda — Reformed Dutch Church of Caughnawaga
On East Main Street (New York State Route 5) east of Cemetery Road, on the right when traveling east.
Komteyea, laett ons op gaen tot den bergh des heeren to den huyse des Godes Jacob op dat hy ons leerevansyne wegen en dat wy wandele in syne paden. This boulder marks the site of Reformed Dutch Church of Caughnawaga, organized 1758, erected . . . — Map (db m137587) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fonda — The Erie CanalNot Just Big. New York State Big
Near NY Thruway (Interstate 90), on the right when traveling west.
Numbers Tell the Tale The Erie Canal originally spanned 363 miles and was 40 feet wide and 4 feet deep. It was largely built by farmers and finished by immigrants, with not a single trained engineer among them and without any mechanized . . . — Map (db m133734) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fort Plain — Diefendorf Hall
On Main Street (New York State Route 80), on the right when traveling east.
Woman's rights leaders Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton spoke here March 25, 1867 on universal suffrage. — Map (db m136735) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fort Plain — Palatine Evangelical Lutheran ChurchRevolutionary War Heritage Trail
On Old Mill Road, on the right when traveling east.
This is one of the oldest churches in the Mohawk Valley. Lutheran Palatine Germans built it in 1770 using limestone taken from the creek nearby. The construction cost $155,000 in 2008 dollars with funding donated primarily by the Wagner, Nellis, . . . — Map (db m137547) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fultonville — The Erie CanalAn Engineering Marvel
Near NY Thruway (Interstate 90) when traveling west.
Locks Open the Way The Erie Canal originally scaled some 700 feet in elevation changes along its route from Rome, New York to Buffalo. This was accomplished by building a series of 83 locks to accomodate changes in water levels. These . . . — Map (db m129907) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Hagaman — Calvary Reformed
On Church Street, on the left when traveling north.
First church in Hagaman. In 1835, erected as Presbyterian North. In 1855, became dutch Reformed. — Map (db m131487) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Hagaman — War Memorial/ Honor Roll
On Mill Street at South Pawling Street, on the right when traveling east on Mill Street.
Village of Hagaman Korean War June 27,1950 - Jan 31,1955 Vietnam War Feb 28, 1961 - Aug 31, 1964 (In Vietnam Combat Zone) Aug 5, 1964 - May 7, 1975 Persian Gulf War Aug 2, 1990 Let no one say anywhere anytime that those who . . . — Map (db m131488) WM
New York (Montgomery County), Minaville — Minaville World War Memorial
On New York State Route 30 at Langley Road (County Route 149), on the left when traveling south on State Route 30.
In Memory Of 1st Lt. Roy A. Schuyler Co. B, 311th Inf. Killed Sept. 26, 1918 at Bois de Grand Fontaine Buried at St. Mihiel Cemetery Age 28 Years Prt. Simon P. LeRoy Co. C, 80th Inf. Killed Oct 14, 1918 at . . . — Map (db m137344) WM
New York (Montgomery County), Palatine Bridge — Stone Arabia
On Route 10, on the right when traveling south.
Lutheran Church 1792 Also site of log church 1729 Settled by Palatines 1712 — Map (db m131499) HM
New York (Niagara County), Somerset — Salt Spring
On Quaker Road 0.8 miles north of Lake Road (New York State Route 18).
Enclosed in buttonwood log, hollowed by Indians was used to preserve fish and game. Located half mile west on Fish Creek. — Map (db m72160) HM
New York (Oneida County), Sauquoit — Birthplace of Dr. Asa Gray
On Oneida Street at Pinnacle Road (County Route 9), on the right when traveling north on Oneida Street.
7/8 mile → Birthplace of Dr. Asa Gray World Famous Botanist — Map (db m141354) HM
New York (Oneida County), Sauquoit — First Sermon
On Mohawk Street (County Route 20) at PinnacleRoad (County Route 9), on the right when traveling north on Mohawk Street.
First Sermon Preached in Northern N.Y. Conference, 1788, by Elder Freeborn Garretson within Whitestown. Sauquoit Soc. formed 1788; 1st in Conference. — Map (db m141355) HM
New York (Oneida County), Sauquoit — Town of Paris Great War Memorial
On Oneida Street at Sulphur Spring Road (County Route 78), on the right when traveling south on Oneida Street.
Erected By The People Of The Town Of Paris In Honor Of Those Who Offered Their Lives In The Great World War 1914 – 1918 The Honored Dead Lieutenant Glenn D. Wicks Seaman Roy D. Cockett Private Arthur J. Gendron Corporal . . . — Map (db m141460) WM
New York (Oneida County), Utica — Oneida County Spanish-American War Memorial
On Memorial Parkway at Oneida Street, in the median on Memorial Parkway.
Dedicated to the Soldiers and Sailors of the Spanish American War by the Citizens of Oneida County - July 1915 – — Map (db m141420) WM
New York (Onondaga County), Elbridge — This Lot
On New York State Route 5, on the right when traveling west.
This lot was part of military tract of Capt. Wm. Stevens, member Mass. Society [of the] Cincinnati; First State Superintendent of Salt Industry. — Map (db m139583) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Averill Park — Sand Lake Union
On New York State Route 66, on the left when traveling north.
Cemetery formed 1841 from Rensselaer Glass Factory and Woodbine Cemeteries. Dr. Smith Boughton's grave, "Big Thunder" Anti-Rent War — Map (db m135069) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Troy — “Uncle Sam” Wilson’s Home
On Ferry Street (Route 2), on the right when traveling east.
Samuel Wilson's home was located here at 144 Ferry Street (formerly 76 Ferry Street), at the southeast corner with 7th Avenue. Built in 1821, the building had a large open porch facing the avenue. Uncle Sam died July 31, 1854, at the age of . . . — Map (db m137029) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Troy — Emma Hart Willard
On Second Street, on the right when traveling south.
In honor of Emma Hart Willard who on this spot established AD 1821 the first permanent seminary in America for the advanced education of women. Erected by her pupils and friends AD 1895 Her most enduring monument the . . . — Map (db m135211) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Bacon Hill — Captain Martin John Burke
On New York State Route 32 at Grange Hall Road, on the left when traveling north on State Route 32.
Home of Captain Martin John Burke, b. 1816-d. 1847, graduated from West Point 1836; was killed in war with Mexico Aug. 20, 1847. — Map (db m138752) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — E. Hubbell 1831
On Brookline Road, on the right when traveling west.
Late Federal style home of Edmond Hubbell and Mary Hubbell. Mr. Hubbell operated a woolen cloth manufactory on the Mourning Kill until ca. 1850 — Map (db m127128) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Hawkwood MansionThe Early Years
Near Middle Line Road.
The foundation at which you are now standing was probably built in the 1790's as the basis for a mansion owned by Henry Walton. We have no pictures of the original building but can assume it looked somewhat like this picture from the late 1800's. . . . — Map (db m134003) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Larkins Corners
On Charlton Road at Goode Street, on the right when traveling east on Charlton Road.
Farms of Uriah Gregory, S. Sears & Nathaniel Booth - Daniel Larkin. Near here Davis Cheese factory and original Curtis Lumber Co. — Map (db m130151) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Scribner Home
On Lake Road, on the left when traveling north.
Zaccheus Scribner settled 1773. Sons Aaron and Thadeus served in the militia. Thadeus was Ballston's 1st mail carrier — Map (db m129035) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Ballston Church
On Middle Line Road at Charlton Road, on the right on Middle Line Road.
Congregation formed 1771 by Rev. Eliphalet Ball. Fourth house of worship built 1859. Church burned in Oct 1993 Steeple saved. Rebuilt to the glory of God in 1994 — Map (db m127033) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Presbyterian Church
On Charlton Road near 769 County Road 51.
Organized Jan 3, 1788 by settlers from Freehold Monmouth Co. New Jersey. Present Edifice built 1852-53 — Map (db m126733) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Scotch Street
On New York State Route 147, on the left when traveling north.
Scottish settlement 1775 cemetery 1778, church 1792 farms, School #2, blacksmith cooper, ice harvesting, store sawmill, telephone exchange — Map (db m126928) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — The Charlton School
On Lake Hill Road, on the right when traveling west.
Founded 1895 by John S. Hawley as the Charlton Industrial Farm School for Troubled Boys. Burned April 2, 1938. Rebuilt for young women in 1955. — Map (db m126841) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Asa Clark Housec. 1845
On Vischer Ferry Road, on the right.
Gothic Revival home built by Asa and Eliza Clark. — Map (db m136454) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Church c. 1795
On Clifton Park Center Road.
Site of Clifton Park Dutch Reformed Church. Referred to as “North Church.” Sold in 1862 and dismantled. — Map (db m136451) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — L Garnsey House
On New York State Route 146, on the right when traveling west.
c. 1830 home of Levi Garnsey family. Sold to Barney Caldwell in 1868, and still owned and farmed by desc. in 1995 — Map (db m125399) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Turnpike
On Plank Road at Maxwell Drive, on the right when traveling south on Plank Road.
Route of Saratoga Turnpike from Waterford to Ballston and Saratoga c. 1829. A private road paved with wood planks in 1849. — Map (db m127277) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Edinburg — Rural Museum
On North Shore Road (County Route 4) near Northville Road, on the right when traveling south.
Town of Edinburg acquired-1930. Used as highway barn until 1974 Converted to rural museum-1991. Operated by Historical Society. Time capsule buried-2001. — Map (db m136296) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Galway — Galway Village
On New York State Route 147 at County Route 45, on the right when traveling north on State Route 147.
One half-mile square, with four corners for a centre; settled by early Scots 1774 incorporated April 18, 1838 — Map (db m126925) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Hadley — Paper Mill
On Rockwell Street (County Route 4), on the right when traveling east.
Rockwell Falls Fiber Co. built in 1878. Became Union Bag & Paper Co. 1892. Next New Era Paper Co. Closed in 1923. Demolished by NY Power. — Map (db m131737) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Jonesville — Cemetery 1864
On Ushers Road at Longkill Road, on the right when traveling east on Ushers Road.
Rolling hills, winding paths and sculpted monuments reflect the rural cemetery movement popular in mid 19th century America — Map (db m129005) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Bartlett House
On Malta Avenue, on the right when traveling west.
C. 1834, one of oldest Greek Revival farmhouses in Malta. Families here were Tompkins, Patrick, Riley, Bryan, Blackburn, Slade, Bartlett since 1971 — Map (db m129068) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Dunning Farm Site
On New York State Route 67 at Kelch Drive, on the right when traveling west on State Route 67.
Michael Dunning, 1725-1812 pioneer settler. Purchased 1127 acres April 28, 1773. Laid out common or parade at Dunning Street. Militia captain in the Revolution. — Map (db m129055) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Marvin Homestead
On New York State Route 67, on the right when traveling east.
Home of William Marvin and Susanna (Wright) Marvin his wife, pioneer settlers in Town of Malta. Land purchased April 2, 1772. House built circa 1790. — Map (db m129112) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Wiggins-Brown-NolenCirca 1840
On New York State Route 9P, on the left when traveling east.
Vernacular Greek Revival farmhouse of David Wiggins and wife Mary A. 1840-1874 Charles H. Brown family home 1900-1965. Purchased 1970 and restored Thomas V. & Juanita Nolen — Map (db m129111) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Mechanicville — Immigrant City
On North Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
Yankees settled in 1760’s. Irish, Italians, & Polish immigrants came to mills & RR yards in late 1800’s, creating our proud ethnic heritage — Map (db m126384) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Milton — North Milton
On Stone Church Road at New York State Route 29, on the left when traveling north on Stone Church Road.
Old Stone Church area settled late 1700's. J. Bentley homestead where Baptist Society founded 1793. Stone church built 1826 still serves. District # 13 school. — Map (db m130153) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Milton — West MiltonClute’s Corners
On Atomic Project Road at Crook’s Grove Road, on the right when traveling west on Atomic Project Road.
Settlers came before 1800. Stores of Whalen, Clute. #7 School. P.O. 1824-1921. Early mill/West Pioneer c 1870. Wilson Park & Chapel c 1874. — Map (db m127389) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Shepherd House
On Sugar Hill Road, on the right when traveling north.
C. 1785 Home of William (1768-1814) And Margaret MacIntosh Shepherd. Her Brother John, Founder of MacIntosh Apple, Lived Nearby 1777-1796. — Map (db m128347) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Tavern c. 1820
On Grooms Road at Sugar Hill Road, on the right when traveling east on Grooms Road.
Store and tavern of Samuel Grooms. First Clifton Park Town Board meeting held here in 1828. — Map (db m126828) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Vischer House
On Grooms Road, on the right when traveling west.
c. 1801 Home of Nicholas (1777-1841) and Catherine Van Vranken Vischer. He was grandson of Vischer Ferry’s first settler. — Map (db m126833) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — Korea
On Excelsior Avenue 0.1 miles east of Veterans Way.
In loving memory Medal of Honor Mausert F.W. III Washington County Died in the service of their country further names not transcribedMap (db m131573) WM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — Saratoga Springs Civil War Memorial
On Lincoln Avenue at Regent Street, on the right when traveling east on Lincoln Avenue.
(front) Not for themselves but for their country 1861-1865 (rear) Saratoga honors the men who fought for and maintained the Union of the States. — Map (db m135689) WM
New York (Saratoga County), Schuylerville — Site Of Camp of General Burgoyne
On Board Street (Route 4), on the left when traveling north.
October 10th to 17th 1777 — Map (db m138775) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Stillwater — Bullard Paper Company Chimney
On U.S. 4, on the right when traveling north.
Here 1880 while excavating for Bullard Paper Mill chimney, the remains of an unknown soldier and his horse were exhumed — Map (db m132503) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Vischer Ferry — Clute’s Dry Dock
On Riverview Road, on the right when traveling east on Riverview Road.
The Volvyder family constructed a dry dock at this location about the time the Erie Canal It appeared as "Volvyder's Dry Dock” on an 1834 map of the canal. The dry dock was refurbished and enlarged in 1842 when the Erie Canal was widened . . . — Map (db m138955) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — A Former Lake
On West Glenville Road, on the left when traveling east.
Just north of these gravel knolls is the basin of a postglacial lake. Here men of an Arctic type once lived and hunted — Map (db m127351) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Alplaus
On Alplaus Ave. at Bruce Drive, on the right when traveling west on Alplaus Ave..
Formerly “Aal Plaats” from Dutch meaning “place of eels.” French and Indians camped at Alplaus Creek on the eve of Schenectady Massacre 1690. — Map (db m125364) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Bradt House1735
On Schermerhorn Road west of Rice Road, on the left when traveling east.
Early type of Dutch farmhouse. To west was Woestina (Wilderness) — Map (db m123077) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Circa 1824Mary and James Carley House
On Washington Street, on the left when traveling north.
Built on land granted in 1662 to Jacques Van Slyck, son of a Mohawk woman, Otstoch, and Cornelius Van Slyck. Site of Van Slyck’s tavern 1671. Structure replaces the buildings destroyed in the Great Fire of 1819. — Map (db m128802) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Issac J. Truax Tavern1757-1805
On Kings Road, on the left when traveling south.
Site of a 18th Century tavern on the King’s Highway. — Map (db m127554) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Rest Here for the Night
On State Street (New York State Route 5) at Layfayette Street, on the right when traveling east on State Street.
(south side) In memory of the soldiers & sailors from Schenectady County, who aided in the suppression of the Great Rebellion of 1861-5. (north side) Erected by the Ladies Monument Association of the City of . . . — Map (db m128133) WM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Schenectady ALCO War Memorial
On State Street (New York State Route 5) at Lafayette Street, on the right when traveling east on State Street.
This memorial erected on the 100th anniversary of the founding of the locomotive industry in this city and is dedicated to all Schenectadians who died for their country. Dedicated September 24, 1948 — Map (db m134991) WM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — The King’s Highway
On Albany Street at Kings Road, on the right when traveling east on Albany Street.
Route of main road west until 1799. — Map (db m127551) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — The Movable Dam at Lock 8Schenectady/ Erie Canalway Trail
Near Rice Road.
Work began here in Rotterdam in 1908 on Erie Barge Canal Lock 8. In addition to constructing Lock 8, engineers built a three-span moveable dam (about 510 feet wide) that raises boats heading upstream as much as 15 feet when the dam is activated. . . . — Map (db m130555) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Cobleskill — Nicholas Warner
On New York State Route 10, on the right when traveling west.
One half mile north of here stood the home of Nicholas Warner burned during the Battle of Cobleskill May 30, 1778. — Map (db m130236) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Fultonham — Here Col. John Harper
On New York State Route 30, on the right when traveling south.
At head of local militia routed Capt. MacDonld of Burgoyne's staff with Tories and Indians. Aug. 13, 1777 — Map (db m130268) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Howes Cave — Tavern
On New York State Route 7 at G. Westinghouse Drive, on the left when traveling east on State Route 7.
At Old Central Bridge built in 1831 by Samuel Smith. Mentioned in many old deeds. Later known as "Rich's" Tavern. — Map (db m130271) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Jefferson — Mill Stones
On Potter Hill Road at Park Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Potter Hill Road.
The mill stones were salvaged from ruins of old mill at west end of village by Charles R. Hubbell in 1968. They were donated to the Town of Jefferson by his daughter and husband, Shirley and Carl Anderson in memory of her father Charles R. . . . — Map (db m137630) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Middleburgh — Hon. Jonathan Danforth Home
On Main Street at Gorge Street, on the left on Main Street.
Built 1796. Rev. soldier who aided the establishment of Schoharie Co. Town of Middleburgh, and Loonenburg Turnpike. — Map (db m130288) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Middleburgh — Indian Trail
On New York State Route 30 at County Route 4, on the right on State Route 30.
War route of Revolution. Panther Creek to Charlotte and Susquehanna Rivers thence to Niagara. Used by the British invaders Oct. 1780 — Map (db m130263) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Middleburgh — Indian Village
On New York State Route 30, on the right when traveling north.
Wilder Hook located on the elbow of "Schoharie Creek" — Map (db m132089) HM
New York (Schoharie County), North Blenheim — Indian Trail
On West Kill Road (Route 30) at West Kill Road, on the left when traveling north on West Kill Road.
Westkill to Delaware River and south to Susquehanna River and west. One of many trails giving Iroquois control of large areas. — Map (db m132091) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Capt. George Rechtmyer
On New York State Route 30, on the right when traveling south.
On this site Dwelt Capt. George Rechtmyer defender of Middle Fort October 17, 1780 in command at Ft. Duboise June 3, 1779 — Map (db m130274) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Simeon Laraway Mill
On New York State Route 443 at Homer Zeh Lane, on the left on State Route 443.
Site of Simeon Laraway Mill on Mill Brook. Erected 1737. — Map (db m131402) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Jas. McMaster
On McMaster Road at Main Street, on the left when traveling north on McMaster Road.
James Mc Master was granted title to the west half township Site of present village of Owego 1788 — Map (db m141769) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Owego RiverwalkWelcome to Owego, New York
On Front Street (New York State Route 17C) at Church Street, on the left when traveling west on Front Street.
Owego was the site of the Iroquois Indian village "Owagea" destroyed by American forces under Generals James Clinton and John Sullivan in 1779, during the Revolutionary War. The Susquehanna River played an important part in the history of Owego. The . . . — Map (db m141832) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Tioga County Memorial
On Front Street (New York State Route 17C) at Court Street & Park Street (New York State Route 96), on the left when traveling east on Front Street.
Tioga County To Her Heroes Who Fought And Her Martyrs Who Fell That The Union Might Live. — Map (db m141809) WM
New York (Ulster County), Highmount — Ulster County
On New York State Route 28, on the left when traveling west.
One of original counties of New York State 1683. Received its name from the earldom in Ireland of James, Duke of York. — Map (db m132111) HM
New York (Ulster County), Shandaken — Catskill Mountains - Shandaken AreaHistoric New York
On New York State Route 28 at Mt. Pleasant Road, on the right when traveling west on State Route 28.
The deep ravines, irregular ridges and rocky slopes of the Catskill Mountains long remained wild and desolate. Small settlements began in the mountain valleys before the American Revolution. After the war, population grew steadily as New Englanders . . . — Map (db m132152) HM
New York (Ulster County), Shandaken — Catskill Water Supply SystemCity of New York
On New York State Route 28, on the right when traveling west.
The Shandaken Tunnel here delivers water from the Schoharie Reservior. The tunnel is 18- ¼ miles long, 11 feet 6 inches high, 10 feet 3 inches wide, and passes 2630 feet below Balsam Mountain. This tunnel has a carrying capacity of 600 million . . . — Map (db m132114) HM
New York (Ulster County), Shandaken — Fort Shandaken
On New York State Route 28, on the right when traveling north.
During the Revolutionary War, a log fort stood near this spot to defend Kingston from enemy attack — Map (db m132135) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake Luzerne — First Methodist
On Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
Episcopal church built 1852 by James Hedgeman and Silas Dayton. First Pastor: The Rev. Henry Williams. Now United Methodist Church — Map (db m131745) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake Luzerne — Site of Wayside Inn
On Mill Street at Lake Avenue (State Highway 9N), on the left when traveling east on Mill Street.
Victorian Gothic built 1869-1938. Built by Col. Benjamin C. Butler. Famous guests: President U.S. Grant, Astors, Vanderbilts, Pullmans — Map (db m131740) HM
New York (Warren County), Warrensburg — Warrensburg
On Water Street, on the right when traveling south.
From the Native Americans who first settled what is today known as Warrensburg, to the early pioneers that introduced industry, to the current inhabitants and visitors who enjoy all the many recreational attributes, the Schroon River has played a . . . — Map (db m130068) HM
New York (Washington County), Argyle — Stone Arch Bridge
On New York State Route 197, on the right when traveling north.
Reconstructured 1870 over original stone bridge — Map (db m129535) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Major Robert Rogers
On Rogers Island Road 0.3 miles south of New York State Highway 197, on the right when traveling south.
Founder and Commanding Officer of Rogers' Rangers in the French and Indian War. Author, in October of 1757 on this site, of the Rules of Ranging, which have been in use by the U.S. Army since that time. Rogers' Rangers Standing . . . — Map (db m18108) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Rogers Island - Fort Edward, NYA History of the Island
On Rogers Island Drive.
”The Island has had many names – Great Island, Munro’s Island, Roger’s Island, Freeman’s Island and others.” Narratives of Old Fort Edward, Anne E. Brislin. Again known as Rogers Island, the Island has a long and . . . — Map (db m134628) HM
New York (Washington County), Granville — Friends Meeting House
On Quaker Street, on the right when traveling north.
Erected 1806 beside church site of log school. House of Friends later a district school. — Map (db m131742) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — Little Canada
On Main Street (U.S. 4) at La Barge Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street.
During the mid 19th Century many northern New York & New England areas had a large migration of French Canadians into the cities and towns of the region. These immigrants came to work in the many mills and the logging industry that flourished at . . . — Map (db m138750) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — Railway Bridge Piers
On New York State Route 254, on the left when traveling west.
The large stone piers located below in the Hudson River were placed there in 1837 for the construction of the Saratoga Whitehall Railroad. The bridge was not completed and the railroad stopped work due to the panic of 1838. The only use ever made . . . — Map (db m129541) HM
New York (Yates County), Branchport — Red Jacket
On West Lake Road (New York State Route 54A) at Acorn Road, on the right when traveling north on West Lake Road.
Near this spot stood cabin home occupied by parents of noted Seneca chief Red Jacket, 1752. His mother's grave is here. — Map (db m139645) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Galena — Galena
On West Columbus Street at N Walnut street on West Columbus Street.
Founded by Gilbert Carpenter in 1809 between Big and Little Walnut Creeks for milling purposes — Map (db m121008) HM
Ohio (Fayette County), Jeffersonville — Garmhausen Roadside Rest Area
On Interstate 71, on the right when traveling south.
In honor of Wilbur J. Garmhausen

Chief Landscape Architect, Ohio Dept. of Highways 1949-1972, Division Landscape Architect 1935-1949. Developer of Ohio Rest Areas, speaker, author, coordinator of Ohio Short Course on Roadside Development for 31 . . . — Map (db m133016) HM

Ohio (Hamilton County), Camp Dennison — Camp Dennison Civil War Museum
On Glendale Milford Road (Ohio Route 126), on the right when traveling south.
Bldg. built by C. Waldschmidt 1804 Used as a guard house of the camp 1861-1865 Dedicated Sept. 6,1997 to the men and women who served in the War Between the States State Regent's projects of Mrs. James H. Woolslayer 1995 1998 Civil . . . — Map (db m134235) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Camp Dennison — Richard Michael Weaver
Near Glendale-Milford Road (Route 126).
In Memory of Richard Michael Weaver 1948 1968 Grew up in Camp Dennison Graduated 1967 Indian Hill High School enlisted in the Marines Killed in Action 20 May 1968 During his heroic tour of duty in Viet Nam Awarded two Purple . . . — Map (db m133586) HM WM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Harrison — John Hunt Morgan Heritage TrailHarrison — Morgan Invades Ohio —
On Harrison Avenue near Walnut Street, on the left when traveling west.
Before noon on July 13, 1863, heads in Harrison turned towards the distant rumble of hooves on the covered bridge over the Whitewater River southwest of town. A long line of Confederate horsemen -- more than 2000 -- inched their way down the hill . . . — Map (db m133611) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Springdale — 13-31 — Maple Knoll Village
Near Maple Trace Drive.
A group of concerned Cincinnati women organized, in 1855, The Protestant Home for the Friendless and Female Guardian Society as a private, not-for-profit maternity home for destitute women and children. These public minded social leaders were . . . — Map (db m133583) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Springdale — 70-31 — Old Saint Mary Cemetery
On Springfield Pike (U.S. 4), on the right when traveling south.
In 1801, the Springdale Presbyterian Church acquired these two and a half acres to construct a church and cemetery. Although the church moved to a new location in 1833, the cemetery remained and continued to receive regular internments until the . . . — Map (db m133110) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Morrow — Morrow
On U.S. 22, on the right when traveling south.
Founded 1845. Named in honor of Governor Jeremiah Morrow, Ohio's 9th governor. — Map (db m133277) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — John Heisman
On Smock Road (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling north.
Shortly after John Heisman's birth in 1869, the Heisman family moved to Titusville where his father, Michael Heisman, was an oil investor and cooper. John Heisman was educated at Titusville schools and played varsity guard on the football team, . . . — Map (db m133875) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Roberts Torpedo
On Smock Blvd (Pennsylvania Route 8) 0.1 miles south of Barber Street, on the left when traveling south.
First successful device for increasing the flow of oil by setting off an explosion deep in a well. It was publicly demonstrated in 1865. The nitroglycerin was made .4 mile south of here, along Hammond Run. — Map (db m50495) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Union 76 Gasoline
On Smock Road (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling north.
Created in part by Cherrytree-born brothers Milton and Lyman Stewart, Union Oil Company of California was formed in 1890. After an early start not far from here in the Shamburg oil field, and serving in the Civil War, Lyman moved to Calfornia . . . — Map (db m133872) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Rouseville — Coy Coquette Locates Gusher
Near Petroleum Centre Road.
Early in 1864, A. C. Kepler dreamt he was in the woods with young woman who some considered a coquette (a flirt). An American Indian attacked him with a bow and arrow. The woman stealthily advanced and handed him a rifle that she plucked from . . . — Map (db m134839) HM
Pennsylvania (Warren County), Warren — General William Irvine
On Crescent Park at Onondaga Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Crescent Park.
In honor of General William Irvine, born near Enniskillen, Ireland in 1740, died in Phila. July 1804, who served with distinction in the War of the Revolution, who surveyed and laid out Warren in the year 1795, and whose descendants . . . — Map (db m133494) HM
Pennsylvania (Warren County), Warren — Under Three Flags
On Crescent Park.
The Fleur-de-1is, Union Jack, and Stars and Stripes all have flown over this corner of Northwestern Pennsylvania. The Fleur-de-lis was brought here by Captain Celoron de Blainville in 1749. The British flag was probably flown at the Buckaloons a . . . — Map (db m133634) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Middlebury — Middlebury War Memorial
Near Court Street (U.S. 7) at Court Square, on the left when traveling west.
(side 1) Middlebury In The 1861—Civil War—1865 Joseph Alexander • Henry W. Bennett • Merrill Bentley Bertrand W. Billings • John Brunelle • Michael Burke John Caffrey • Roderick A. Champlin • . . . — Map (db m136571) WM
Vermont (Bennington County), Bennington — Shaffe’sc. 1850/1963
On Main Street (Vermont Route 9) at School Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
Shaffe’s c.1850/1963 Store throughout its history. 1963 front retained in restoration after 1992 fire. State Register of Historic Places — Map (db m141048) HM
Vermont (Franklin County), St. Albans Bay — Lucrative Trade to Leisure Vacations/Du commerce lucratif au voyage d'agrément
Near Lake Street (Vermont Route 36) at Georgia Shore Road.
When the Champlain Canal was completed in 1823 and shipping to the south opened up a huge market to the West, St. Albans merchants benefited from the boom. Canal boats sailed south up the Lake to Whitehall, and once the sails . . . — Map (db m140057) HM
Vermont (Rutland County), Pittsford — Fort Vengeance
On U.S. 7, on the left when traveling north.
Erected in 1780 Stood on this ground Caleb Houghton Born Bolton Ms. 1760 Member of Capt. Saffords Co. Maj. Allen's Detach. Stationed at this fort was killed by an Indian half a mile south July 15, 1780. His remains were moved . . . — Map (db m136551) HM
Vermont (Rutland County), Proctor — John Sunderland
On South Street (Vermont Route 3) at Main Street, on the left when traveling north on South Street.
. . . — Map (db m136546) HM

1218 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 were listed. Previous 200 Next 818
Paid Advertisement