Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

1102 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 are listed. Previous 200 Next 702
 
Grant & Eadie Marker image, Touch for more information
By Steve Stoessel, June 9, 2019
Grant & Eadie Marker
Nova Scotia (Guysborough), Queensport — Queensport, Guysborough County
A Community linked to the Sea Queensport was a fishing village community long before the first European settlers arrived here in the 1700s. Each spring and summer, the aboriginal Mi’kmaq would gather to harvest fish, one of the most . . . — Map (db m140535) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — Canso Soldiers Memorial
To the Glory of God and in loving memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice in the World War Canso Louis Dort, Vernon Earle, Roy Greencorn, Lee Martin Hart, Arthur S. Horton, James B. Keating, Percy J. Lumsden, James Arthur Manuel, . . . — Map (db m140441) WM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — D-Day/Jour J1944
D-Day and the Battle of Normandy 6 June-21 August 1944 After months of elaborate planning, the largest seaborne invasion in modern history commenced on 6 June 1944 (D-Day) to liberate northwestern Europe from German . . . — Map (db m139666) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Women and the Second World War/Les femmes et la Seconde Guerre mondiale1939-1945
Women in Canada and Newfoundland significantly contributed to Allied victory. Whereas women were military nurses during the First World War, more than 50,000 were now serving in uniform as non-combatants in all three armed services . . . — Map (db m139663) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Belle Côte — Belle Côte War MemorialOur Heroic Dead
1914-1918 John F. Chiasson Dominique F. Doucet Thomas Doucet Gabriel A. LeBanc Joseph H. McDaniel Daniel J. McDaniel Alexander E. MacDougall J. Ronald MacLellan Neil K. MacNeil Albert B. Miller Stanley Munro Angus Ross . . . — Map (db m139815) WM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Petit Etang — Canada War Memorial
They will never know the beauty of this place see the seasons change, enjoy nature's chorus, all we enjoy we owe to them, men and women who lie buried in the earth of foreign lands and in the Seven Seas dedicated to the memory of Canadians who . . . — Map (db m139476) WM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Grand Pré — The Landscape of Grand Pré/Le Paysage de Grand-PréHow the Battle Unfolded/Le déroulement de la bataille
How the Battle Unfolded During the first half of the 18th century, France and Great Britain were at war for imperial domination of North America. Most Acadians, including those at Grand Pré, wanted to stay out of the conflict and be . . . — Map (db m140430) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Horton Landing — Democracy and the New England Planters/La démocratie et les Planters de la Nouvelle-Angleterre
To entice the Planters to settle in Nova Scotia, the British colonial administration introduced an elected legislature in 1758, a form of representative government they had long known in New England. In the decades after their settlement . . . — Map (db m140209) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Horton Landing — New England Planters/Les planters de la Nouvelle-Angeleterre
In 1759, New England farmers and fishermen sent agents to Halifax to discuss with Governor Lawrence the settlement of the undeveloped areas of the province. Substantial immigration began in 1760 and, by late 1763, several thousand . . . — Map (db m140207) HM
Nova Scotia (Victoria County), South Harbour — South Harbour War Memorial
In grateful memory of the men who gave their lives in two World Wars 1939-1945 E.J. Cameron D.C. MacDonald T. J. MacDonald R. N. MacInnes H. J. MacLennan C. MacLennan E. MacLennan N. MacLennan J. A. MacNeil 1914-1918 M. . . . — Map (db m139337) WM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Greenwich — The Sanderson Farm/La ferme Sanderson
It is believed that Charles Sanderson started farming here around 1820. Until the farm was sold in the early 197os, different generations of Sandersons cared for this land. Always mindful of the ever-changing sand dunes, they helped . . . — Map (db m139448) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Cavendish — Cavendish Dunelands Trail/Cavendish Sentier DunelandsWreck of the Marco Polo/L'épave du Marco Polo
25 July, 1883. Thanks to a weekend of violent storms there is a heavy sea running. A few farmers watch with astonishment as a magnificent sailing vessel, driven by a mountain of canvas, slams onto the Cavendish sandbars. The air iš alive . . . — Map (db m139391) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Springbrook — Springbrook World War II Memorial
Dedicated To The Memory Of Our Youth Who Served In World War II Sgt. Elmer S. Macleod 1915 - 1944 Killed In Italy W.O.2 Allison F.W. Macleod 1920 – 1943 Missing In Malta Pte. W. Wallace Bernard 1904 -1945 Died . . . — Map (db m140158) WM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Wood Islands — The Wood Islands Family of Lighthouses
The three buildings on this site represent a "family” and all were once navigational aids. The lighthouse beacon is still maintained by the Canadian Coast Guard as part of the marine communication system used by ship traffic in the . . . — Map (db m138223) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Burlington — Duncan HouseBurlington Historical District — c. 1910 —
This outstanding c. 1910 Bungalow home incorporates many Arts & Crafts design elements including battered porch columns, 3-over-1 window sash, and a low pitched roof. It was built at the beginning of mini-building boom in Burlington that lasted . . . — Map (db m133142) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Burlington — Historic Burlington, KYMaking a Living...
From its earliest days, Burlington was the hub of a community rooted in farming. Prior to World War II, the majority of people in Boone County lived and worked on farms and the livelihood of nearly everyone else was somehow connected to farming. By . . . — Map (db m134233) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Burlington — Old Boone County CourthouseBurlington Historic District — 1889 —
There has been a courthouse on this site since 1799 and the present one is the third built on the site. Designed by the McDonald Brothers of Louisville, the Renaissance Revival style building was completed for about $20,000. The courthouse . . . — Map (db m133151) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Hebron — 1640 — Center of Population of U.S. in 1880
The exact center of the population of the United States in 1880 was located within a few hundred yards of this plaque. North latitude 39° 4' 8" West longitude 84° 39' 40" Population base in 1880 was 49,371,340. — Map (db m133070) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Hebron — Crash of TWA Flight 128
TWA flight 128, tail #N821TW, was making an approach in light snow when it crashed into an orchard approximately 1,000 feet north of here, on November 20. 1967 at 8:57 p.m. The four-engine Convair 880 was en route from Los Angeles . . . — Map (db m133136) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Richwood — 1387 — Richwood Presbyterian Church
Services have been held by this old church continuously since it was founded in 1834 by Joseph Cabell Harrison, first pastor. He and cousin John Breckinridge in 1824 founded early religious paper in Ky. A cousin of Pres. William H. Harrison. . . . — Map (db m133216) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Walton — 2023 — Skirmish at Snow’s Pond
During 1862 Confederate invasion, rebel forces under General Basil W Duke searched for approaches to Cincinnati. On September 25, 1862, over 500 attacked a federal camp here commanded by Brig. Gen. Quincy A. Gillmore. Many USA prisoners were . . . — Map (db m133217) HM
Kentucky (Kenton County), Covington — 1601 — Roebling Suspension Bridge
First bridge to span Ohio River, connecting Kentucky and Ohio. John Augustus Roebling engineer, Amos Shinkle, president of Covington- Cincinnati Bridge Co. The formal opening of this bridge celebrated, Jan. 1, 1867. A prototype for . . . — Map (db m78978) HM
Maine (Knox County), Rockport — The Rockport Lime Kilns
During the 19th Century, Rockport was a major supplier of lime to East Coast markets. These kilns converted limestone rock supplied by 15 local quarries into lime used to make mortar & finish plaster. The burned lime was packed into wooden casks and . . . — Map (db m124348) HM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Lancaster — 6 — Lancaster N. H.: Stories of People and PlacesWilder-Holton House
The house was built by Jonas Wilder in 1780 and served as a place for town and religious meetings as well as an inn for travelers. The Holton family later acquired it and owned it for over a century. In 1964 the Holton family sold the house to . . . — Map (db m140029) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Altamont, New YorkThe Museum in the Streets
WELCOME TO ALTAMONT The Village of Altamont and its immediate surroundings were once part of a tract of land deeded in 1630 by the Dutch West India Company to Killian Van Rensselaer (c. 1586-1643),a wealthy 17th century Dutch diamond and pearl . . . — Map (db m132693) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 16 — St. John’s Lutheran ChurchAltamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets —
St. John’s Lutheran Church, designed by Albany architect Charles Nichols and built by contractor George Rockefeller in 1871-72 was the first church built in Knowersville. The original church building was 42 x 62 feet and, completely . . . — Map (db m131427) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 14 — The Carriage WorksAltamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets —
HENRY LOCKWOOD BUILT THE FIRST carriage factory in Knowersville in 1874. The VanBenscoten brothers and Charles B. Warner operated the business until the April 1886 Great Fire consumed the original building and much of the stock. . . . — Map (db m131468) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 13 — The Great FireAltamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets —
ON 30 APRIL 1886, FIRE TORE through the business district of Knowersville, leveling all five buildings of the Lockwood Estate, including the drug and dry goods store of Davenport & Fredericks, the carriage factory of VanBenscoten & . . . — Map (db m131465) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Cohoes Tribute
This monument is dedicated to the Men of Cohoes who on land or on sea risked their lives that this Nation might endure — Map (db m131753) WM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — Old Military CrossingLoudon’s Ford
British and Continental Army ford. Protected August September 1777 by Generals Enoch Poor and Benedict Arnold. — Map (db m138976) HM
New York (Albany County), Medusa — Medusa War Memorial
Lest We Forget In recognition of All who served and died For our Country — Map (db m136059) WM
New York (Albany County), New Salem — Rev. Harmanus Van Huysen Home
Original part built c. 1816. revolutionary War Captain. Served 3 area churches from 1794-1825. His descendants lived in home until 1922. — Map (db m136073) HM
New York (Albany County), Preston-Potter Hollow — Dr. Samuel Preston
Settled here in 1789 and gave his name to Preston Hollow. He built the first sawmill and gristmill — Map (db m131419) HM
New York (Albany County), Rensselaerville — Baptist Church
Organized Aug. 19, 1796. First ministers: Truman Beeman Ephraim Crocker Reuben Winegar Jr. Present church built in 1836 — Map (db m136128) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Early Doctor
Dr. Jonathan Prosser of Dutchess County settled on this farm in 1788 — Map (db m129504) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Grant & Eadie
Early storekeepers. Made potash at Chesterville, 1798. — Map (db m135151) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Indian Trail
Old Indian trail led through this valley to the Switzkill. Indian camp ground near here. — Map (db m135092) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Myers Farm
Philip Myers of Germany in 1763 built a log house at Chesterville, married a daughter of Nicholas Stoddard and died 1813 — Map (db m135149) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Reformed Church
First church in town. Organized 1793. Original site five miles south of here — Map (db m135148) HM
New York (Clinton County), Peru — Peru’s First Settler
William Hay, a Scotsman, was Peru's first settler. He built his house in this vicinity in 1772. Hay had a friendly relationship with Benedict Arnold and witnessed the "Battle of Valcour.” The town's first marriage was between . . . — Map (db m136672) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — John Addoms
Home of John Addoms. Built 1790. Major and surveyor during entire period of Revolution — Map (db m136751) HM
New York (Columbia County), Ancram — Iron Works
Site of iron works, first in Colony of New York, had 4 forges. Founded by Robert R. Livingston 1743. Demolished 1854 — Map (db m137997) HM
New York (Columbia County), Ancram — The Men of Ancram Who Served In The World WarHonor Roll — 1917-1919 —
Belcher, Sheloon C. Blass, Tard B. Boice, Guy Boice, Lee Booth, George Brizzie, Lee Brandt, Frank Brower, Charles Jr. Cabe, Henry Dietter, Free J. Edleman, Lliam F. Garrisson. Arthur E. Binsdale, Alfred Hinsdale, . . . — Map (db m140121) WM
New York (Columbia County), Clermont — St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church1902
First church on this site 1861 destroyed by fire 1901. N.Y.S. & National Historical RegistriesMap (db m137802) HM
New York (Columbia County), Germantown — Sharp’s Landing
Active in trading in 1684. — Map (db m132569) HM
New York (Columbia County), Ghent — Ghent Honor Roll
Honored Patriots who answered the call of their country in the Great World War 1917-1918 The Government of the People, by the People, for the People, shall not perish from the Earth. --Abraham Lincoln (Names . . . — Map (db m136010) WM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Columbia County
Separated from Albany Co. April 4, 1786. Name- from Columbus, discoverer of America. — Map (db m132570) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Columbia County
Separated from Albany Co. April 4, 1786. Name- from Columbus, discoverer of America. — Map (db m137747) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Kitchen Garden
This panoramic image combines two photographs that show the kitchen garden and barnyard as they looked about 1900. Both photographs were taken from a location out in the field behind you (south) looking north. From the far right in the photograph, . . . — Map (db m132329) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Park and Lake
Frederic Church transformed a treeless hillside into the wooded park you see across the lake. There, on 31 acres, he planted hundreds of trees and shrubs, singly and in clumps, in a landscape design conceived in the Picturesque Style (a . . . — Map (db m132074) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Studio and Viewshed
Although Frederic Church painted at his Hudson Valley farm from the time he purchased it in 1860, he did not build a studio here until about 1864-65. On the site where you are standing, he erected a "plain but ample” 24-foot-square, . . . — Map (db m137805) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Warren Inn
In 1958 on this historic site the first motel ever converted from a movie theater and located in a small community was opened — Map (db m130586) HM
New York (Columbia County), New Lebanon — Ezra Gates
Homestead of Ezra Gates, Revolutionary soldier 1775-1780. Still in possession of Gates family. — Map (db m135062) HM
New York (Columbia County), Stuyvesant — Benjamin F. Butler
Born here 1795 - died 1858 A reviser of state laws; Regent 1829-32; Attorney General U.S. 1833-38; acting Sec. of War 1836-37 — Map (db m132613) HM
New York (Columbia County), Stuyvesant — Newton Hook
Also known as Nutten Hooke, Coxsackie Station. Early industrial area. Sites of ferry 1820, Cary Brick 1902, R&W Scott Ice Co., 1885. — Map (db m132615) HM
New York (Delaware County), Delhi — Christian Church at Fitch's Bridge
Congregation formed 1822 promoting union with all Christians. Gideon Frisbee leased this land to erect a house of worship to trustees Newell Dodge, Putnam Farrington, Daniel Frisbee, John Hammond and Clark Sloat later razed. The present church, . . . — Map (db m137501) HM
New York (Delaware County), Delhi — Fitches Crossing Covered Bridge
Built in 1870 by James Frazier & James Warren, it originally spanned the Delaware at Kingston Street in Delhi. Replaced by an iron bridge in 1885, it was moved by David Wright and a town crew to this site known as Fitches Crossing. . . . — Map (db m137499) HM
New York (Delaware County), Walton — Dr. Platt Townsend
Homestead of Dr Platt Townsend Built 1796 Leader of the founders of Walton. — Map (db m137625) HM
New York (Duchess County), Clinton Corners — Bloom’s Mill
Bloom's Mill (c. 1750) Revolutionary soldiers camped here in 1777 before the Battle of Washington Hollow — Map (db m140619) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millerton — Irondale Cemetery
Irondale, Millerton, Town of North East. Old Stone 1818. — Map (db m135709) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millerton — Spencer's CornersNorth East Post Office
May 1, 1773, first Baptist covenant meeting in North East held at home of Rev. Simon Dakin, near here. — Map (db m138074) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Harris Scythe Works
Site of Harris Scythe Works. Founded by John Harris about 1765. operations ceased 1864. — Map (db m135792) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Pine Plains
Organized 1823. Named to commemorate pine trees that grew on the plains. Part of Northeast 1788. Part of Little Nine Partners 1706. — Map (db m135793) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Stanfordville — Freedom Square Park
Dedicated to the 140 Civil War soldiers of Stanford “Our cause is a good and just one” Talmadge Wood, 156th N.Y. Vol. Inf. Mortally Wounded at Gettysburg July 3, 1863 — Map (db m105603) WM
New York (Fulton County), Ephratah — Saltsman's Hotel
Built by Peter Schram in early 1800. Established as Apollo Ballroom, eatery with stabling. Visited by Governors Rockefeller, FDR — Map (db m131591) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnston — 372 — Suffrage Pioneer
Elizabeth Cady Stanton, 1815-1902. Her father practiced law here in early 19th C. inspiring her fight for women's rights — Map (db m136958) HM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — Johnson Hall / The Landscape of Johnson Hall
Johnson Hall A man of Sir William’s position required a grand home to impress his many guests who arrived for political, financial, and diplomatic discussions. Commitments in the French and Indian War(1754-63), however, kept him from . . . — Map (db m136523) HM
New York (Fulton County), Northville — History of Ray Hubbell
Many people in Northville and around Northville know about the return of the Chimney Swifts, but not many people know about Mr. Ray Hubbell. Each year the Chimney Swifts would return to their home in the chimney that was on the corner of 2nd Street . . . — Map (db m137132) HM
New York (Fulton County), Wheelerville — Site of Wheelerville Tannery
Wheeler Chaflin Company 1865 ca. 1888 — Map (db m136983) HM
New York (Greene County), Athens — Northrup House
Built 1803 Home of Issac Northrup founder of Athens Village Incorporated 1806 — Map (db m126510) HM
New York (Greene County), Catskill — Hamlet of Cementon
At one time, had an elementary school, a church, a railroad station, a post office, 5 grocery stores, a large cement plant, 1 ice house & a population of about 800 — Map (db m129481) HM
New York (Greene County), Coxsackie — 562 — Village Cemetery
"Mansion St. Cemetery" Resting place of residents and veterans 1826-1974. Burials as early as 1800 were transferred here. — Map (db m135678) HM
New York (Greene County), East Durham — John E. Lawe(February 26, 1919 - January 5,1989) — Champion of the Working Man —
John Edward Lawe, stood tall in the U.S. labor movement, a union man all his working life: 35 years with the Transport Workers Union of America, AFL-CIO as a dues-paying member, officer and international president (1985-1989). He was a dynamic . . . — Map (db m131425) HM
New York (Greene County), Greenville — Talmage-Atwater
Home of families for 170 years. Built in 1792. — Map (db m129495) HM
New York (Greene County), Jefferson Heights — Footpath
From old Indian fort called Casteel Hoogte to Coxsackie — Map (db m127858) HM
New York (Greene County), Leeds — Old Inn
Old inn of Martin G. Schuneman. Built 1796 — Map (db m130543) HM
New York (Greene County), Prattsville — Col. Zadock Pratt
Homestead of town founder Col. Zadock Pratt. Tanner, banker, legislator. Planned village, built homes and world's largest tannery. Oct. 30, 1790 - April 5, 1871. — Map (db m132716) HM
New York (Hamilton County), Piseco — Riley Tavern
One of the oldest buildings in Piseco cicra 1880. Used as a tavern, and post office. Original location was just south of here — Map (db m137241) HM
New York (Hamilton County), Speculator — Site of Lake Pleasant House
Built around 1858 by Edgar Dunnin. Later known as the Adirondack Hotel, Lee Fountien's Hotel, The Anibal Hotel, and the Brook's Hotel. Here French Louie the hermit, trapper and guide died in 1915. — Map (db m136273) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Cold Brook — In Grateful Memory
In Grateful Memory of These who Gave all In World War II Malcolm L. Blue Walter L. Bullock Worden D. Coffin Clyde W. Davis Burr DeWitt Lawrence J. Fitzpatrick Earl Nelson Irwin Harry F. Kested Walter J. Lamphier . . . — Map (db m137092) WM
New York (Herkimer County), Ilion — Ilion Great War Memorial
This tablet records the devotion of the sons of Ilion who gave their service to their country in the Great World War. In the hour of need they made the supreme gift of themselves going to meet toil, privation, suffering and death with steady . . . — Map (db m137315) WM
New York (Herkimer County), Little Falls — Honor Roll
. . . — Map (db m131127) WM
New York (Herkimer County), Little Falls — Shaping the CityA Family Legacy
The Burrell family were leading businessmen in Little Falls for generations. Their work as cheese producers, brokers, and suppliers helped to make this city a national center for the dairy industry in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. . . . — Map (db m131233) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Newport — Benjamin Bowen House
One of the original settlers of Newport, NY. Federal Georgian Four-Square native limestone, circa 1812 — Map (db m137044) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Newport — Linus Yale
Octagonal house built about 1850 by Linus Yale, inventor of the Yale Lock — Map (db m137004) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Newport — Newport Stone Arch Bridge
Built of native limestone in 1853, by Thomas Fox National Register 1992 — Map (db m137046) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Newport — Newport War Memorials
center plaque: Dedicated to the Memory of Guy Bateman Daniel Toomey Theodore Morey Who made the Supreme Sacrifice in the World War left plaque: Dedicated to the memory of Kenneth Fischer Who made the . . . — Map (db m137110) WM
New York (Madison County), Canastota — Milton DelanoHome of
Home of Milton Delano. Clerk of Town of Old Lenox. Twice elected Sheriff of Madison County. Member of Congress 1888-1892 — Map (db m139563) HM
New York (Monroe County), Pittsford — Auburn Line Park
Location of Samuel Hildreth's stagecoach barns 1814-1834. Route of the Auburn & Rochester railroad line serving Pittsford from 1840-1989 — Map (db m131104) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Jefferson Avenue
Jefferson Avenue was initially settled in the late 1800s by German immigrants, Irish immigrants followed. In 1888 Jefferson Avenue was formed by the connection of Frances and North Francis Streets, and renamed in honor of President Thomas . . . — Map (db m135317) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — The Canalway Trail
Nope. No mules here. The Erie Canal song relates “I’ve got a mule and her name is Sal.” Sorry, but Sal would not be pulling boats along this trail. This canal was constructed as the Barge Canal between 1905-1918 when boats traveled by . . . — Map (db m131796) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Welcome to Genesee Valley ParkGenesee Riverway Trail/Greenway Trail/Erie Canalway Trail
Genesee Valley Park Genesee Valley Park was the second of the original parks in Rochester to be designed by Frederick Law Oldsted. Historic parkland with rolling lawn, groves of mature trees, and placid river views on both sides of the . . . — Map (db m131882) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — 477 — Kirk Douglas
Film legend born Dec. 9, 1916 to immigrant parents living at 46 Eagle St. rose from poverty to appear in over 90 films in Hollywood. — Map (db m138040) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — Manny’s Corners CemeteryAbout 1790
Contains graves of four Revolutionary soldiers. — Map (db m130669) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Canajoharie — Chester B. Hoke
"Bromley" Hoke (1847-1913) Canajoharie native served in 54th Mass. Regt, one of nation's 1st black troops to fight in the Civil War — Map (db m137292) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Canajoharie — Northeastern Terminal
This fountain marks the northeastern terminal of the Continental Road, constructed under the supervision of General James Clinton, to Otsego Lake June 17, 1778 — Map (db m130981) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Canajoharie — Sullivan-Clinton Campaign1779
Portage route of General James Clinton's army Canajoharie to Otsego Lake 2000 men, 300 wagons, 200 batteaux and supplies moved overland — Map (db m130969) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fonda — Caughnawga Church
Approaching the site of old Caughnawga Church erected 1763 — Map (db m131356) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fonda — James Shanahan
Irish born stone cutter donated Sacred Heart R.C. Church 1876. Purchased from Reformed Church-built 1840. Member state assembly 1869. — Map (db m130804) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fonda — Reformed Dutch Church of Caughnawaga
Komteyea, laett ons op gaen tot den bergh des heeren to den huyse des Godes Jacob op dat hy ons leerevansyne wegen en dat wy wandele in syne paden. This boulder marks the site of Reformed Dutch Church of Caughnawaga, organized 1758, erected . . . — Map (db m137587) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fort Plain — Diefendorf Hall
Woman's rights leaders Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton spoke here March 25, 1867 on universal suffrage. — Map (db m136735) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fort Plain — Palatine Evangelical Lutheran ChurchRevolutionary War Heritage Trail
This is one of the oldest churches in the Mohawk Valley. Lutheran Palatine Germans built it in 1770 using limestone taken from the creek nearby. The construction cost $155,000 in 2008 dollars with funding donated primarily by the Wagner, Nellis, . . . — Map (db m137547) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fultonville — The Erie CanalAn Engineering Marvel
Locks Open the Way The Erie Canal originally scaled some 700 feet in elevation changes along its route from Rome, New York to Buffalo. This was accomplished by building a series of 83 locks to accomodate changes in water levels. These . . . — Map (db m129907) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Hagaman — Anti Slavery Soc.
Amsterdam residents met in this building Nov. 9 1836 to form Amsterdam Anti-slavery Society, Mong. Co.'s 1st stand against slavery — Map (db m131485) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Hagaman — Calvary Reformed
First church in Hagaman. In 1835, erected as Presbyterian North. In 1855, became dutch Reformed. — Map (db m131487) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Hagaman — War Memorial/ Honor Roll
Village of Hagaman Korean War June 27,1950 - Jan 31,1955 Vietnam War Feb 28, 1961 - Aug 31, 1964 (In Vietnam Combat Zone) Aug 5, 1964 - May 7, 1975 Persian Gulf War Aug 2, 1990 Let no one say anywhere anytime that those who . . . — Map (db m131488) WM
New York (Montgomery County), Minaville — Minaville World War Memorial
In Memory Of 1st Lt. Roy A. Schuyler Co. B, 311th Inf. Killed Sept. 26, 1918 at Bois de Grand Fontaine Buried at St. Mihiel Cemetery Age 28 Years Prt. Simon P. LeRoy Co. C, 80th Inf. Killed Oct 14, 1918 at . . . — Map (db m137344) WM
New York (Montgomery County), Palatine Bridge — Stone Arabia
Lutheran Church 1792 Also site of log church 1729 Settled by Palatines 1712 — Map (db m131499) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Elbridge — This Lot
This lot was part of military tract of Capt. Wm. Stevens, member Mass. Society [of the] Cincinnati; First State Superintendent of Salt Industry. — Map (db m139583) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Averill Park — Sand Lake Union
Cemetery formed 1841 from Rensselaer Glass Factory and Woodbine Cemeteries. Dr. Smith Boughton's grave, "Big Thunder" Anti-Rent War — Map (db m135069) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Troy — “Uncle Sam” Wilson’s Home
Samuel Wilson's home was located here at 144 Ferry Street (formerly 76 Ferry Street), at the southeast corner with 7th Avenue. Built in 1821, the building had a large open porch facing the avenue. Uncle Sam died July 31, 1854, at the age of . . . — Map (db m137029) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Troy — Emma Hart Willard
In honor of Emma Hart Willard who on this spot established AD 1821 the first permanent seminary in America for the advanced education of women. Erected by her pupils and friends AD 1895 Her most enduring monument the . . . — Map (db m135211) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — E. Hubbell 1831
Late Federal style home of Edmond Hubbell and Mary Hubbell. Mr. Hubbell operated a woolen cloth manufactory on the Mourning Kill until ca. 1850 — Map (db m127128) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Hawkwood MansionThe Early Years
The foundation at which you are now standing was probably built in the 1790's as the basis for a mansion owned by Henry Walton. We have no pictures of the original building but can assume it looked somewhat like this picture from the late 1800's. . . . — Map (db m134003) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Larkins Corners
Farms of Uriah Gregory, S. Sears & Nathaniel Booth - Daniel Larkin. Near here Davis Cheese factory and original Curtis Lumber Co. — Map (db m130151) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Scribner Home
Zaccheus Scribner settled 1773. Sons Aaron and Thadeus served in the militia. Thadeus was Ballston's 1st mail carrier — Map (db m129035) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Ballston Church
Congregation formed 1771 by Rev. Eliphalet Ball. Fourth house of worship built 1859. Church burned in Oct 1993 Steeple saved. Rebuilt to the glory of God in 1994 — Map (db m127033) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — McCrea Hill
Brothers James, Sam, & Wm. McCrea built near here 1771. James and Sam fought for Rev. War. Wm. sided with British. Sister Jane martyred 1777. — Map (db m127211) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Presbyterian Church
Organized Jan 3, 1788 by settlers from Freehold Monmouth Co. New Jersey. Present Edifice built 1852-53 — Map (db m126733) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Scotch Street
Scottish settlement 1775 cemetery 1778, church 1792 farms, School #2, blacksmith cooper, ice harvesting, store sawmill, telephone exchange — Map (db m126928) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — The Charlton School
Founded 1895 by John S. Hawley as the Charlton Industrial Farm School for Troubled Boys. Burned April 2, 1938. Rebuilt for young women in 1955. — Map (db m126841) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Asa Clark Housec. 1845
Gothic Revival home built by Asa and Eliza Clark. — Map (db m136454) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Church c. 1795
Site of Clifton Park Dutch Reformed Church. Referred to as “North Church.” Sold in 1862 and dismantled. — Map (db m136451) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — L Garnsey House
c. 1830 home of Levi Garnsey family. Sold to Barney Caldwell in 1868, and still owned and farmed by desc. in 1995 — Map (db m125399) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Turnpike
Route of Saratoga Turnpike from Waterford to Ballston and Saratoga c. 1829. A private road paved with wood planks in 1849. — Map (db m127277) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Edinburg — Rural Museum
Town of Edinburg acquired-1930. Used as highway barn until 1974 Converted to rural museum-1991. Operated by Historical Society. Time capsule buried-2001. — Map (db m136296) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Galway — Galway Village
One half-mile square, with four corners for a centre; settled by early Scots 1774 incorporated April 18, 1838 — Map (db m126925) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Gansevoort — Mawney TavernCirca 1790
The Union Temperate Society of Moreau and Northumberland was organized here on April 13, 1808. Believed to be the first ever temperance organization. — Map (db m133978) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Hadley — Hadley Station
1st Train To Hadley 12/1865 Merged With D&H 11/1902 Hotel Guests Met At Station Hadley Depot Closed 8/1958 Station Has Been Demolished Erected 1999 By Town of HadleyMap (db m97390) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Hadley — Paper Mill
Rockwell Falls Fiber Co. built in 1878. Became Union Bag & Paper Co. 1892. Next New Era Paper Co. Closed in 1923. Demolished by NY Power. — Map (db m131737) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Hadley — To Those Who Served
To those who served our Country in time of war. They gave their today for our tomorrow. — Map (db m131751) WM
New York (Saratoga County), Jonesville — Cemetery 1864
Rolling hills, winding paths and sculpted monuments reflect the rural cemetery movement popular in mid 19th century America — Map (db m129005) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Bartlett House
C. 1834, one of oldest Greek Revival farmhouses in Malta. Families here were Tompkins, Patrick, Riley, Bryan, Blackburn, Slade, Bartlett since 1971 — Map (db m129068) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Dunning Farm Site
Michael Dunning, 1725-1812 pioneer settler. Purchased 1127 acres April 28, 1773. Laid out common or parade at Dunning Street. Militia captain in the Revolution. — Map (db m129055) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Marvin Homestead
Home of William Marvin and Susanna (Wright) Marvin his wife, pioneer settlers in Town of Malta. Land purchased April 2, 1772. House built circa 1790. — Map (db m129112) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Site of Smith-Caldwell Van Aernem HomeCirca 1830
Vernacular Federal style farm house contained hidden passageways characteristic of the Underground Railroad. — Map (db m129026) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Wiggins-Brown-NolenCirca 1840
Vernacular Greek Revival farmhouse of David Wiggins and wife Mary A. 1840-1874 Charles H. Brown family home 1900-1965. Purchased 1970 and restored Thomas V. & Juanita Nolen — Map (db m129111) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Mechanicville — Immigrant City
Yankees settled in 1760’s. Irish, Italians, & Polish immigrants came to mills & RR yards in late 1800’s, creating our proud ethnic heritage — Map (db m126384) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Milton — North Milton
Old Stone Church area settled late 1700's. J. Bentley homestead where Baptist Society founded 1793. Stone church built 1826 still serves. District # 13 school. — Map (db m130153) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Milton — West MiltonClute’s Corners
Settlers came before 1800. Stores of Whalen, Clute. #7 School. P.O. 1824-1921. Early mill/West Pioneer c 1870. Wilson Park & Chapel c 1874. — Map (db m127389) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Shepherd House
C. 1785 home of William (1768-1814) and Margaret MacIntosh Shepherd. Her brother John founder of MacIntosh Apple lived nearby 1777-1796 — Map (db m128347) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Tavern c. 1820
Store and tavern of Samuel Grooms. First Clifton Park Town Board meeting held here in 1828. — Map (db m126828) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Vischer House
c. 1801 Home of Nicholas (1777-1841) and Catherine Van Vranken Vischer. He was grandson of Vischer Ferry’s first settler. — Map (db m126833) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — “The Gut” or “The Valley”(Circa 1920-1960)
In this low-lying neighborhood a lively Jewish enclave of stores markets, hotels and boarding houses catered to NYC summer visitors here for the healing springs. — Map (db m135687) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — Korea
In loving memory Medal of Honor Mausert F.W. III Washington County Died in the service of their country further names not transcribedMap (db m131573) WM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — Saratoga Springs Civil War Memorial
(front) Not for themselves but for their country 1861-1865 (rear) Saratoga honors the men who fought for and maintained the Union of the States. — Map (db m135689) WM
New York (Saratoga County), Schuylerville — Site Of Camp of General Burgoyne
October 10th to 17th 1777 — Map (db m138775) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Vischer Ferry — Clute’s Dry Dock
The Volvyder family constructed a dry dock at this location about the time the Erie Canal It appeared as "Volvyder's Dry Dock” on an 1834 map of the canal. The dry dock was refurbished and enlarged in 1842 when the Erie Canal was widened . . . — Map (db m138955) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Waterford — C. Boughton Farm
1850 Doctor and Assemblymen C.S. Hawley later resided here He founded the Halfmoon Academy Sec. to Grover Cleveland Fire Department namesake — Map (db m128391) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — A Former Lake
Just north of these gravel knolls is the basin of a postglacial lake. Here men of an Arctic type once lived and hunted — Map (db m127351) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Bradt House1735
Early type of Dutch farmhouse. To west was Woestina (Wilderness) — Map (db m123077) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Issac J. Truax Tavern1757-1805
Site of a 18th Century tavern on the King’s Highway. — Map (db m127554) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Rest Here for the Night
(south side) In memory of the soldiers & sailors from Schenectady County, who aided in the suppression of the Great Rebellion of 1861-5. (north side) Erected by the Ladies Monument Association of the City of . . . — Map (db m128133) WM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Schenectady ALCO War Memorial
This memorial erected on the 100th anniversary of the founding of the locomotive industry in this city and is dedicated to all Schenectadians who died for their country. Dedicated September 24, 1948 — Map (db m134991) WM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — The King’s Highway
Route of main road west until 1799. — Map (db m127551) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — The Movable Dam at Lock 8Schenectady/ Erie Canalway Trail
Work began here in Rotterdam in 1908 on Erie Barge Canal Lock 8. In addition to constructing Lock 8, engineers built a three-span moveable dam (about 510 feet wide) that raises boats heading upstream as much as 15 feet when the dam is activated. . . . — Map (db m130555) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Cobleskill — Nicholas Warner
One half mile north of here stood the home of Nicholas Warner burned during the Battle of Cobleskill May 30, 1778. — Map (db m130236) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Fultonham — Here Col. John Harper
At head of local militia routed Capt. MacDonld of Burgoyne's staff with Tories and Indians. Aug. 13, 1777 — Map (db m130268) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Howes Cave — Tavern
At Old Central Bridge built in 1831 by Samuel Smith. Mentioned in many old deeds. Later known as "Rich's" Tavern. — Map (db m130271) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Jefferson — Mill Stones
The mill stones were salvaged from ruins of old mill at west end of village by Charles R. Hubbell in 1968. They were donated to the Town of Jefferson by his daughter and husband, Shirley and Carl Anderson in memory of her father Charles R. . . . — Map (db m137630) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Middleburgh — Indian Trail
War route of Revolution. Panther Creek to Charlotte and Susquehanna Rivers thence to Niagara. Used by the British invaders Oct. 1780 — Map (db m130263) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Middleburgh — Indian Village
Wilder Hook located on the elbow of "Schoharie Creek" — Map (db m132089) HM
New York (Schoharie County), North Blenheim — Indian Trail
Westkill to Delaware River and south to Susquehanna River and west. One of many trails giving Iroquois control of large areas. — Map (db m132091) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Capt. George Rechtmyer
On this site Dwelt Capt. George Rechtmyer defender of Middle Fort October 17, 1780 in command at Ft. Duboise June 3, 1779 — Map (db m130274) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Simeon Laraway Mill
Site of Simeon Laraway Mill on Mill Brook. Erected 1737. — Map (db m131402) HM
New York (Ulster County), Shandaken — Catskill Mountains - Shandaken AreaHistoric New York
The deep ravines, irregular ridges and rocky slopes of the Catskill Mountains long remained wild and desolate. Small settlements began in the mountain valleys before the American Revolution. After the war, population grew steadily as New Englanders . . . — Map (db m132152) HM
New York (Ulster County), Shandaken — Catskill Water Supply SystemCity of New York
The Shandaken Tunnel here delivers water from the Schoharie Reservior. The tunnel is 18- ¼ miles long, 11 feet 6 inches high, 10 feet 3 inches wide, and passes 2630 feet below Balsam Mountain. This tunnel has a carrying capacity of 600 million . . . — Map (db m132114) HM
New York (Ulster County), Shandaken — Fort Shandaken
During the Revolutionary War, a log fort stood near this spot to defend Kingston from enemy attack — Map (db m132135) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake Luzerne — First Methodist
Episcopal church built 1852 by James Hedgeman and Silas Dayton. First Pastor: The Rev. Henry Williams. Now United Methodist Church — Map (db m131745) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake Luzerne — Site of Wayside Inn
Victorian Gothic built 1869-1938. Built by Col. Benjamin C. Butler. Famous guests: President U.S. Grant, Astors, Vanderbilts, Pullmans — Map (db m131740) HM
New York (Warren County), Warrensburg — Warrensburg
From the Native Americans who first settled what is today known as Warrensburg, to the early pioneers that introduced industry, to the current inhabitants and visitors who enjoy all the many recreational attributes, the Schroon River has played a . . . — Map (db m130068) HM
New York (Washington County), Argyle — Stone Arch Bridge
Reconstructured 1870 over original stone bridge — Map (db m129535) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Major Robert Rogers
Founder and Commanding Officer of Rogers' Rangers in the French and Indian War. Author, in October of 1757 on this site, of the Rules of Ranging, which have been in use by the U.S. Army since that time. Rogers' Rangers Standing . . . — Map (db m18108) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Rogers Island - Fort Edward, NYA History of the Island
”The Island has had many names – Great Island, Munro’s Island, Roger’s Island, Freeman’s Island and others.” Narratives of Old Fort Edward, Anne E. Brislin. Again known as Rogers Island, the Island has a long and . . . — Map (db m134628) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — The Hudson River at Fort EdwardNative Americans
Archaeological excavations in the Fort Edward region have shown that Native Americans have lived here for at least 8,000 years, and probably as long as 11,000-12,000 years. The Hudson River, as well as several lakes and streams in the area supplied . . . — Map (db m134456) HM
New York (Washington County), Granville — Friends Meeting House
Erected 1806 beside church site of log school. House of Friends later a district school. — Map (db m131742) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — Coal Silos
Built by Griffin Lumber Co. fall 1906. Each silo held a different grade of coal. Built using cement blocks invented by Griffin Lumber. — Map (db m131688) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — Little Canada
During the mid 19th Century many northern New York & New England areas had a large migration of French Canadians into the cities and towns of the region. These immigrants came to work in the many mills and the logging industry that flourished at . . . — Map (db m138750) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — Railway Bridge Piers
The large stone piers located below in the Hudson River were placed there in 1837 for the construction of the Saratoga Whitehall Railroad. The bridge was not completed and the railroad stopped work due to the panic of 1838. The only use ever made . . . — Map (db m129541) HM
New York (Wayne County), Clyde — Clyde Historical Highlights
1722 Blockhouse constructed 1782 Military Tract #27 (now Town of Galen) established for Revolutionary War medical staff veterans 1811 Permanent settlement, Lauraville, begins south of river 1825 Erie Canal completed/Stow Insurance Office . . . — Map (db m132026) HM
New York (Yates County), Branchport — Red Jacket
Near this spot stood cabin home occupied by parents of noted Seneca chief Red Jacket, 1752. His mother's grave is here. — Map (db m139645) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Galena — Galena
Founded by Gilbert Carpenter in 1809 between Big and Little Walnut Creeks for milling purposes — Map (db m121008) HM
Ohio (Fayette County), Jeffersonville — Garmhausen Roadside Rest Area
In honor of Wilbur J. Garmhausen

Chief Landscape Architect, Ohio Dept. of Highways 1949-1972, Division Landscape Architect 1935-1949. Developer of Ohio Rest Areas, speaker, author, coordinator of Ohio Short Course on Roadside Development for 31 . . . — Map (db m133016) HM

Ohio (Hamilton County), Camp Dennison — Camp Dennison Civil War Museum
Bldg. built by C. Waldschmidt 1804 Used as a guard house of the camp 1861-1865 Dedicated Sept. 6,1997 to the men and women who served in the War Between the States State Regent's projects of Mrs. James H. Woolslayer 1995 1998 Civil . . . — Map (db m134235) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Camp Dennison — Richard Michael Weaver
In Memory of Richard Michael Weaver 1948 1968 Grew up in Camp Dennison Graduated 1967 Indian Hill High School enlisted in the Marines Killed in Action 20 May 1968 During his heroic tour of duty in Viet Nam Awarded two Purple . . . — Map (db m133586) HM WM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Harrison — John Hunt Morgan Heritage TrailHarrison — Morgan Invades Ohio —
Before noon on July 13, 1863, heads in Harrison turned towards the distant rumble of hooves on the covered bridge over the Whitewater River southwest of town. A long line of Confederate horsemen -- more than 2000 -- inched their way down the hill . . . — Map (db m133611) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Springdale — 13-31 — Maple Knoll Village
A group of concerned Cincinnati women organized, in 1855, The Protestant Home for the Friendless and Female Guardian Society as a private, not-for-profit maternity home for destitute women and children. These public minded social leaders were . . . — Map (db m133583) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Springdale — 70-31 — Old Saint Mary Cemetery
In 1801, the Springdale Presbyterian Church acquired these two and a half acres to construct a church and cemetery. Although the church moved to a new location in 1833, the cemetery remained and continued to receive regular internments until the . . . — Map (db m133110) HM
Ohio (Warren County), Morrow — Morrow
Founded 1845. Named in honor of Governor Jeremiah Morrow, Ohio's 9th governor. — Map (db m133277) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — John Heisman
Shortly after John Heisman's birth in 1869, the Heisman family moved to Titusville where his father, Michael Heisman, was an oil investor and cooper. John Heisman was educated at Titusville schools and played varsity guard on the football team, . . . — Map (db m133875) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Roberts Torpedo
First successful device for increasing the flow of oil by setting off an explosion deep in a well. It was publicly demonstrated in 1865. The nitroglycerin was made .4 mile south of here, along Hammond Run. — Map (db m50495) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Union 76 Gasoline
Created in part by Cherrytree-born brothers Milton and Lyman Stewart, Union Oil Company of California was formed in 1890. After an early start not far from here in the Shamburg oil field, and serving in the Civil War, Lyman moved to Calfornia . . . — Map (db m133872) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Rouseville — Coy Coquette Locates Gusher
Early in 1864, A. C. Kepler dreamt he was in the woods with young woman who some considered a coquette (a flirt). An American Indian attacked him with a bow and arrow. The woman stealthily advanced and handed him a rifle that she plucked from . . . — Map (db m134839) HM
Pennsylvania (Warren County), Warren — General William Irvine
In honor of General William Irvine, born near Enniskillen, Ireland in 1740, died in Phila. July 1804, who served with distinction in the War of the Revolution, who surveyed and laid out Warren in the year 1795, and whose descendants . . . — Map (db m133494) HM
Pennsylvania (Warren County), Warren — Under Three Flags
The Fleur-de-1is, Union Jack, and Stars and Stripes all have flown over this corner of Northwestern Pennsylvania. The Fleur-de-lis was brought here by Captain Celoron de Blainville in 1749. The British flag was probably flown at the Buckaloons a . . . — Map (db m133634) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Middlebury — Middlebury War Memorial
(side 1) Middlebury In The 1861—Civil War—1865 Joseph Alexander • Henry W. Bennett • Merrill Bentley Bertrand W. Billings • John Brunelle • Michael Burke John Caffrey • Roderick A. Champlin • . . . — Map (db m136571) WM
Vermont (Franklin County), St. Albans — St. Albans Civil War Memorial
To Those Brave Men of St. Albans who Fought in the Civil War Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we . . . — Map (db m140579) WM
Vermont (Franklin County), St. Albans Bay — Lucrative Trade to Leisure Vacations/Du commerce lucratif au voyage d'agrément
When the Champlain Canal was completed in 1823 and shipping to the south opened up a huge market to the West, St. Albans merchants benefited from the boom. Canal boats sailed south up the Lake to Whitehall, and once the sails . . . — Map (db m140057) HM
Vermont (Rutland County), Pittsford — Fort Vengeance
Erected in 1780 Stood on this ground Caleb Houghton Born Bolton Ms. 1760 Member of Capt. Saffords Co. Maj. Allen's Detach. Stationed at this fort was killed by an Indian half a mile south July 15, 1780. His remains were moved . . . — Map (db m136551) HM
Vermont (Rutland County), Proctor — John Sunderland
. . . — Map (db m136546) HM

1102 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 201 through 401 were listed. Previous 200 Next 702
Paid Advertisement