Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

1221 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 401 through 601 are listed. Previous 200 Next 621
 
Simeon Laraway Mill Marker image, Touch for more information
By Steve Stoessel, March 24, 2019
Simeon Laraway Mill Marker
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — Canso
On School Street, on the right when traveling east.
Important as a centre for the North Atlantic fisheries from the 16th century, the islands in Canso Harbour offered a safe haven for fishermen. First frequented by the French and Basques, the area became the site of an extensive . . . — Map (db m138598) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — In Memory of Tusker 914 En mémoire deJuly 13, 2006
Near Union Street at Queen Street.
On July 13, 2006 a Canadian Forces helicopter from 413 Transport and Rescue Squadron carrying seven crew members who were exercising rescue techniques with local Canadian Coast Guard auxiliary members crashed in Canso Harbour. . . . — Map (db m139669) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — The Canso Islands/ Les îles Canso
Near Water Street.
During the seventeenth century French fishermen came from Cape Breton, across Chedabucto Bay, to fish for cod in thirty foot shallops. Later, the New England colonists came in their schooners. They fished the Banks and dried their fish . . . — Map (db m140536) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Cole Harbour — We Will Remember/Nous Nous Souviendrons
On Marine Drive (Nova Scotia Route 316), on the right when traveling west.
Welcome to #5 Radar Unit. RCAF Queensport / Cole Harbour. Bienvenue à Ja Sieme unité de radar deP'ARC, située à Queensport / Cole Harbour. This base, along with ten others situated along the rocky shores of Nova Scotia, Was tasked with . . . — Map (db m139288) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Larrys River — Le Parc de nos AncêtresThe Park of Our Ancestors
On Marine Drive (Nova Scotia Route 316) at Ballfield Loop, on the right when traveling west on Marine Drive.
Welcome to our Commemorative Park! This development is a direct result of a cultural awakening following local festivities in 2004, in conjunction with the World Congress of Acadians, which was celebrated throughout Nova Scotia. Our people . . . — Map (db m141146) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Larrys River — 3 — Samuel de Champlain Meets Captain Savalette On Shores of Tor BayChamplain rencontre le Capitaine Savalette sur les Côtes de Tor Baie
On Marine Drive (Nova Scotia Route 316) at Ballfield Loop, on the right when traveling west on Marine Drive.
French cartographer and geographer, Samuel de Champlain met Basque fisherman and fishery entrepreneur, Captain Savalette, on the north shores of Tor Bay in 1607. According to authenticated records, Champlain and a group of explorers, . . . — Map (db m141209) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Larrys River — 8 — The ResettlementRétablissement
On Marine Drive (Nova Scotia Route 316) at Ballfield Loop, on the right when traveling west on Marine Drive.
The Deportation began in 1755 and ended with the signing of the Treaty of Paris in 1763. This Treaty not only ended what was perhaps the greatest human atrocity committed in British North America but it also gave Acadians the right to . . . — Map (db m141389) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Whitehead — Port Felix
Near Whitehead Road, on the right when traveling south.
Village of Port Felix/Molasses Harbour Early Acadians called Port Felix Molasses Harbour because of a keg of molasses washing up on shore. Many Acadian settlers arrived about 1797 after the fall of Louisbourg. Following the American . . . — Map (db m140390) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — D-Day/Jour J1944
D-Day and the Battle of Normandy 6 June-21 August 1944 After months of elaborate planning, the largest seaborne invasion in modern history commenced on 6 June 1944 (D-Day) to liberate northwestern Europe from German . . . — Map (db m139666) HM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Belle Côte — Belle Côte War MemorialOur Heroic Dead
On Cabot Trail (Nova Scotia Route 19) at East Margaree Road, in the median on Cabot Trail.
1914-1918 John F. Chiasson Dominique F. Doucet Thomas Doucet Gabriel A. LeBanc Joseph H. McDaniel Daniel J. McDaniel Alexander E. MacDougall J. Ronald MacLellan Neil K. MacNeil Albert B. Miller Stanley Munro Angus Ross . . . — Map (db m139815) WM
Nova Scotia (Inverness County), Chéticamp — The Cabot TrailSt. Pierre’s Church and Father Fiset/L'église Saint-Pierre et le Pere Fiset
On Cabot Trail, on the left when traveling north.
Built in 1893, St-Pierre's Church majestically watches over the Acadian community of Chéticamp. An imposing 212 feet long, 74 feet wide and with a steeple rising to 167 feet, St-Pierre's lavish Baroque interior and original . . . — Map (db m139872) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Grand Pré — Landscape of Grand Pré/ le Payage de Grand PréPlan of Horton Town/ Le Plan De Ville de Horton
On King Street at Wharf Road, on the left when traveling east on King Street.
In 1759, the British authorities subdivided Nova Scotia into counties. The County of Kings was divided into three townships: Cornwallis; Falmouth and Horton. The Horton Town Plot (or plan), sited on the hills above Horton Landing and . . . — Map (db m139033) HM
Nova Scotia (Kings County), Horton Landing — The Tragedy of the Deportation/La tragédie de la Déportation
Near Wharf Road.
In 1755, the worldwide struggle for empire between Great Britain and France had tragic consequences for the Acadians of Les Mines and elsewhere in Nova Scotia/Acadie Lt-Col. John Winslow was the Massachusetts officer in charge of the . . . — Map (db m140393) HM
Nova Scotia (Victoria County), South Harbour — South Harbour War Memorial
On Cabot Trail at South Ridge Road, on the right when traveling south on Cabot Trail.
In grateful memory of the men who gave their lives in two World Wars 1939-1945 E.J. Cameron D.C. MacDonald T. J. MacDonald R. N. MacInnes H. J. MacLennan C. MacLennan E. MacLennan N. MacLennan J. A. MacNeil 1914-1918 M. . . . — Map (db m139337) WM
Prince Edward Island (Kings County), Greenwich — Havre Saint Pierre
Near Prince Edward Island Route 313.
Established in 1720, Havre Saint Pierre was once the largest settlement in the colony of Isle Saint Jean. On a summer day in the 1730s this was a busy place. Here - a fleet of tiny shallops, sails snapping as they set out for the . . . — Map (db m139397) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Cavendish — Cavendish Dunelands Trail/Cavendish Sentier DunelandsCavendish and Tourism/Cavendish et le tourisme
Toward the end of the 1800s, Prince Edward Island became known as an excellent vacation spot. Its clean air, rural landscapes and beautiful beaches were offered to travellers made weary by the stress of urban life. By the 1920s, thanks . . . — Map (db m139431) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), New London — Lucy Maud Montgomery Birthplace
On Grahams Road (Prince Edward Island Route 20) at Prince Edward Island Route 6, on the right when traveling north on Grahams Road.
Lucy Maud Montgomery, daughter of Hugh John Montgomery and Clara Woolner MacNeill, was born in this house on November 30, 1874. — Map (db m138186) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Burlington — Historic Burlington, KYMaking a Living...
Near Washington Street (Kentucky Route 18) near Jefferson Street, on the right.
From its earliest days, Burlington was the hub of a community rooted in farming. Prior to World War II, the majority of people in Boone County lived and worked on farms and the livelihood of nearly everyone else was somehow connected to farming. By . . . — Map (db m134233) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Burlington — Old Boone County CourthouseBurlington Historic District — 1889 —
On Kentucky Route 18 at Kentucky Route 338, on the right when traveling west on State Route 18.
There has been a courthouse on this site since 1799 and the present one is the third built on the site. Designed by the McDonald Brothers of Louisville, the Renaissance Revival style building was completed for about $20,000. The courthouse . . . — Map (db m133151) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Hebron — 2393 — 1937 Flood at Constance / Anderson Ferry
On Kentucky Route 8, on the left when traveling east.
1937 Flood The Ohio River reached its peak on Jan. 26 at 79.9 ft. surpassing the 1884 record. Constance was the hardest hit town in Boone Co. but there were no fatalities. Route 8 between Constance & Taylorsport was almost completely . . . — Map (db m133629) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Petersburg — 2459 — Lewis Loder (1819-1905) / Petersburg Distillery
On Front Street west of Tanner Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
Born in Pennsylvania, he moved to Petersburg in 1858 and lived in a c. 1840 house at Tanner & Front Sts. He served as justice of the peace and operated a tavern in his home for many years. Loder was hired as clerk & bookkeeper at the . . . — Map (db m133205) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Walton — 2023 — Skirmish at Snow’s Pond
On Dixie Highway (U.S. 25) 0.3 miles south of Logistics Boulevard, on the left when traveling south.
During 1862 Confederate invasion, rebel forces under General Basil W Duke searched for approaches to Cincinnati. On September 25, 1862, over 500 attacked a federal camp here commanded by Brig. Gen. Quincy A. Gillmore. Many USA prisoners were . . . — Map (db m133217) HM
Maine (Lincoln County), Christmas Cove — In Grateful Memory of Ensign Richard Rundlett WellsUSN 1896-1918
On Maine Route 129, on the left when traveling south.
Who was born and grew to young manhood at Christmas Cove. Bred in the tradition of the sea, he was swift to volunteer when his country entered the Great War. He won a commission for meritorious service and gave his life in heroic performance of his . . . — Map (db m126922) HM WM
New Hampshire (Coos County), Stewartstown — Stewartstown Honor Roll
Honor Roll of Stewartstown, NH Dedicated to those who served in the armed forces. World War 1,World War 2, Korea Vietnam, Lebanon, Panama, Persian Gulf War Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom names . . . — Map (db m140470) WM
New Jersey (Somerset County), Somerville — Daniel Robert House
On West End Avenue (New Jersey Route 28) at Somerset Street (County Route 626), on the left when traveling west on West End Avenue.
Daniel Robert House 25 West End Avenue Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1888 — Map (db m142279) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Uncle Dan
On South Pearl Street (New York State Route 32) at Second Avenue, on the right on South Pearl Street.
One Second Avenue birthplace of Daniel P. O'Connell November 13, 1885. Albany Democratic leader 1923 to 1977. — Map (db m131671) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 15 — Lincoln Avenue SchoolAltamont, New York — Museum in the Streets —
On Maple Avenue (New York State Route 146), on the left when traveling north.
BY 1879, THE POPULATION of Knowersville had grown sufficiently to merit the construction of a larger school, and the hamlet's third school building was constructed that year on School Street, later renamed Lincoln Avenue. The Lincoln . . . — Map (db m131471) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 13 — The Great FireAltamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets —
On Maple Road (New York State Route 146), on the left when traveling north.
ON 30 APRIL 1886, FIRE TORE through the business district of Knowersville, leveling all five buildings of the Lockwood Estate, including the drug and dry goods store of Davenport & Fredericks, the carriage factory of VanBenscoten & . . . — Map (db m131465) HM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Dedicated
On Helderberg Trail (Route 443), on the right when traveling west.
Dedicated to the of those who served in all wars — Map (db m131422) WM
New York (Albany County), Berne — Reformed Dutch Church
On Helderburg Trail (New York State Route 443), on the right when traveling east.
Organized 1763. First Pastor Johannes Schuyler 1767. Oldest Church in County outside of Albany — Map (db m50191) HM
New York (Albany County), Coeymans — CoeymansThe World War
On Westetrlo Street Extended, in the median.
A tribute to those from this town who served their country in the World War — Map (db m131674) WM
New York (Albany County), Delmar — Town of Bethlehem Veterans Memorial
On Delaware Avenue (New York State Route 443) east of Oakwood Place, on the left when traveling east.
Erected In Honor Of The Men And Women Of The Town Of Bethlehem Who Served In The Armed Forces And In Memory Of Those Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice — Map (db m142348) WM
New York (Albany County), Dormansville — Dormansville
On County Route 312 at New York State Route 143, in the median on County Route 312.
Named in honor of Daniel Dorman, an inn and store keeper, and first postmaster in 1832 — Map (db m135109) HM
New York (Albany County), East Berne — Lutheran Church
On New York State Route 443, on the left when traveling west.
Organized 1790. First pastor Rev. August Friederich Meier. Frame building used until brick church constructed 1835 — Map (db m132604) HM
New York (Albany County), Feura Bush — Memorial
On Indian Fields Road (New York State Route 32), on the left when traveling south.
This memorial is dedicated in honor to all those who served our great country. — Map (db m130529) WM
New York (Albany County), Guilderland — First Reformed Dutch Church
On New York State Route 146 at 158, on the right when traveling west on State Route 146.
100 ft. west, site of the First Reformed Dutch Church in Guilderland. Built before 1767. First pastor Rev. Harmanus Van Huysen — Map (db m136065) HM
New York (Albany County), New Scotland — Matthew Bullock
On Bullock Road 0.5 miles south of New Scotland Road (New York State Route 85), on the left when traveling south.
Introduced English Short Horn cattle into Albany County about 1815 and won premiums at fairs — Map (db m143041) HM
New York (Albany County), New Scotland — New Scotland Church
On New Scotland Road (New York State Route 85) 0.1 miles east of Youmans Road, on the left when traveling west.
. . . — Map (db m142757) HM
New York (Albany County), Preston-Potter Hollow — Whipping Post
On Route 145, on the left when traveling south.
For town located on farm of Lawrence Faulk who settled here, in 1790 and died in 1838. — Map (db m131416) HM
New York (Albany County), Schenectady — The King’s Highway
On Kings Road, on the left when traveling east.
Military road during the French and Indian and Revolutionary Wars. — Map (db m127558) HM
New York (Albany County), Slingerlands — Helderberg-Hudson Rail Trail
On Kenwood Avenue 0.1 miles east of New Scotland Avenue (New York State Route 85), on the right when traveling west.
A History of the Albany County Helderberg-Hudson Rail Trail This trail is a 9-mile pathway which follows the old Albany and Susquehanna Railroad between Albany and Voorheesville. This pathway connects visitors with landscapes and communities, . . . — Map (db m142351) HM
New York (Albany County), Voorheesville — Schoolhouse No. 10
On Maple Avenue (New York State Route 85A), on the right when traveling west.
Est. as early as 1826. Replaced 1867. Additions 1892, 1911. Fondly known as “Brookview Academy". Current bldg. erected 1929. — Map (db m135120) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Beardsley House
On Switzkill Road (County Route 1), on the left when traveling west.
Home of William Beardsley. Here was held first town meeting of Westerlo, April 4, 1815. — Map (db m135143) HM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Manor of Van Rensselaer
On New York State Route 85 at New York State Route 143, in the median on State Route 85.
1630 Kiliaen Van Rensselaer granted patent for 1152 square miles including all of Albany and Rensselaer Counties — Map (db m136076) HM
New York (Broome County), Endicott — Routes of the ArmiesOf General John Sullivan and General James Clinton — 1779 —
On West Main Street (Route 17C) at Badger Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Main Street.
An expedition against the hostile Indian nations which checked the aggressions of English and Indians on the frontiers of New York and Pennsylvania, extending westward the dominion of the United States. Rear Face: Union near this point . . . — Map (db m141807) HM
New York (Columbia County), Ancram — The Men of Ancram Who Served In The World WarHonor Roll — 1917-1919 —
On New York State Route 82 at County Route 7, in the median on State Route 82.
Belcher, Sheloon C. Blass, Tard B. Boice, Guy Boice, Lee Booth, George Brizzie, Lee Brandt, Frank Brower, Charles Jr. Cabe, Henry Dietter, Free J. Edleman, Lliam F. Garrisson. Arthur E. Binsdale, Alfred Hinsdale, . . . — Map (db m140121) WM
New York (Columbia County), Copake — Copake, NY War Memorial
On County Route &A near County Route 7, in the median.
These We Honor 1917-1919 Lester Raught 1941-1945 Clarence J. Beeker Feliz Garaccia Ralph Veer Stephen C. McIntyre John E. Miller (additional names not transcribed)Map (db m135807) WM
New York (Columbia County), Copake — First Town Meeting
On County Route 7A at Farm Road, on the left when traveling west on County Route 7A.
Site of first town meeting, April 4, 1824 in this building on this site. — Map (db m135794) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — 125 — Copake Iron Works
On Valley View Road, on the right.
Designated National Heritage Area in2016. Part of the Hudson River Valley Heritage area recognized by U.S. Congress in 1996. — Map (db m135873) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — WWII MemorialLest We Forget
On Union Street near South Fourth Street.
Dedicated to all those from Columbia County who died in the service of their country — Map (db m130615) WM
New York (Columbia County), New Lebanon — Town of New Lebanon War Memorial
On New York State Route 22, on the right when traveling south.
Dedicated to the memory of those who have served our country in all wars. — Map (db m135558) WM
New York (Columbia County), Stuyvesant — Stuyvesant Landing
On New York State Route 9J at Kinderhook Street (County Route 26A), on the right when traveling north on State Route 9J.
Now part of the Town of Stuyvesant set off from the Town of Kinderhook in 1823. — Map (db m132610) HM
New York (Columbia County), Taghkanic — Town of Taghkanic Veterans Memorial
On New York State Route 82, on the left when traveling south.
This Plaque is dedicated to the Men and Women of the Town of Taghkanic, who served in the Armed Forces of the United States — Map (db m138100) WM
New York (Delaware County), Harpersfield — Harpersfield Toll GateSusquehanna Turnpike
On New York State Route 23, on the right when traveling west.
Alexander Dales, earliest known gate keeper, 1845-1855 — Map (db m132518) HM
New York (Delaware County), Hobart — 1983 - 1984 - 1986
On Maple Avenue at Main Street (New York State Route 10), on the left when traveling west on Maple Avenue.
The replacement of two dams and preservation of the bridge was made possible by the O’Connor Foundation — Map (db m137596) HM
New York (Delaware County), Margaretville — Lodges Organized in Middletown
On Main Street.
James's 1796-1798 Delaware-Ulster 1807-1811 Colden (Clinton) 1816-1824 Margaretville 1855-present — Map (db m132106) HM
New York (Duchess County), Clinton Corners — Bloom’s Mill
On New York State Route 82 at Clinton Corners Road, on the left when traveling south on State Route 82.
Bloom's Mill (c. 1750) Revolutionary soldiers camped here in 1777 before the Battle of Washington Hollow — Map (db m140619) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Rhinebeck — Landsman’s Kill
On U.S. 9, on the right when traveling north.
Whose waters operated the mills of Schuyler, Montgomery, Morgan, Lewis, Livingston, and many others — Map (db m132573) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Wingdale — Clove Road Camp
On New York State Route 22 at Pleasant Ridge Road, on the left when traveling south on State Route 22.
A mile west is Phillip Hoac house, built 1750, where Washington and troops, en route from Boston to New York, encamped in 1776 — Map (db m137971) HM
New York (Erie County), Hamburg — Aaron SalisburyLocal War Hero — War of 1812 —
On New York State Route 5 near Big Tree Road, on the right.
Although the War of 1812 had been brewing for years, it struck along the shores of the Town of Hamburg in 1813. Landing parties from the British Navy's Queen Charlotte gunboat would frequently come ashore and loot local farms, seizing their . . . — Map (db m133031) HM
New York (Erie County), Hamburg — Lighthouse LV82Guardian of the Buffalo Harbor
On New York State Route 5 at Big Tree Road, on the right when traveling west on State Route 5.
Prior to the construction of land based lighthouses, lightships were used to provide navigational guidance along shipping lanes of the Great Lakes. Lightship LV82 was built in July 1912 with a steel hull and whaleback forecastle deck. It measured . . . — Map (db m133028) HM
New York (Essex County), Elizabethtown — Edgar P. Wadhams
On U.S. 9, on the left when traveling north.
First bishop of the Diocese of Ogdensburg was born in this house May 21, 1817. He was consecrated May 5, 1872 - died December 5, 1891. — Map (db m136666) HM
New York (Fulton County), Broadalbin — Broadalbin World War Two Memorial
On West Main Street near Center Street, on the right when traveling west.
Lest We Forget To the eternal memory of the men and women of Broadalbin who served in the armed forces of the United States during World War Two Forever in the Annals of Glory Will shine their starry claim The angels know their . . . — Map (db m136569) WM
New York (Fulton County), Northville — Early Settler
On South Main Street, on the right when traveling south.
Site of first house built in present Village of Northville. First home built on this site by Samuel Olmstead in 1788. — Map (db m136265) HM
New York (Fulton County), Vail Mills — Dutch Reformed Church
On County Route 155 0.1 miles east of New York State Route 30, on the right when traveling west.
Site of Dutch Reformed Church of New Haerlam - founded 1793 - and historic church cemetery (1805-1871) — Map (db m131459) HM
New York (Genesee County), Bergen — 267 — C.E. Housel Home
On Lake Street (New York State Route 19) at LeRoy Street, on the right when traveling north on Lake Street.
W.S. & C.E. Housel private bank closed abruptly March 1929. Depositors lost nearly all their funds. C.E. Housel found guilty of fraud. — Map (db m142116) HM
New York (Greene County), Athens — Northrup House
On South Washington Street at Fourth Street, on the right when traveling south on South Washington Street.
Built 1803 Home of Issac Northrup founder of Athens Village Incorporated 1806 — Map (db m126510) HM
New York (Greene County), Cairo — Mowers House
On Main Street at New York State Route 32/23, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
Stage coach stop & inn. Built in 1689 — Map (db m131396) HM
New York (Greene County), Catskill — Uncle Sam
On West Main Street, on the right when traveling south.
Samuel Wilson, “Uncle Sam” the official symbol of the United States, lived here 1817-1823 — Map (db m127870) HM
New York (Greene County), Catskill — Uncle Sam Bridge
On West Bridge Street, on the left when traveling west.
Samuel Wilson, whose name inspired national symbol “Uncle Sam” lived nearby from 1817-1822 — Map (db m127981) HM
New York (Greene County), Coxsackie — Reformed Low Dutch Churchof Katskill and Kochs Hacky — Organized Feb 25, 1731/32 —
On New York State Route 395, on the left when traveling north.
First church building , 1733-1798, about 1/4 mile west on north side of road. Second church building, 1798-1861, on south side of road nearly opposite the first. Present building erected 1861. Pastors' names not transcribed — Map (db m130612) HM
New York (Greene County), Greenville — 1635 English Lawyer
On County Route 26 at New York State Route 81, on the right when traveling west on County Route 26.
1635 English Lawyer John Stevens to New England. In 1995, Family marked 360 yrs. in America. 1641 John at Stamford, CT. 1793 Ruben to Greenville. 1827, James buys this 1790’s house from E. Reed. Stevens Homestead 1827 - . . . — Map (db m140977) HM
New York (Greene County), Greenville — Greenville
On New York State Route 81 at New York State Route 32, on the left when traveling west on State Route 81.
1803 town taken from Freehold and Coxsackie, called Greenfield, first town meeting held 1809 Named Greenville — Map (db m129490) HM
New York (Greene County), Jefferson Heights — Footpath
On Main Street at Brooks Lane, on the left when traveling south on Main Street.
From old Indian fort called Casteel Hoogte to Coxsackie — Map (db m127858) HM
New York (Hamilton County), Speculator — Grace Methodist Episcopal Church
On New York State Route 8 0.1 miles west of New York State Route 30, on the left when traveling east.
The cornerstone of the Grace Methodist Episcopal Church of Speculator was laid on November 15, 1908. The church was incorporated on June 19, 1909. It was completed and dedicated in October, 1909. — Map (db m137055) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Columbia Center — Masonic Lodge
On Jordanville Road (County Route 18) 0.2 miles east of Tooley Road, on the left.
Masonic Lodge Built by D. V. W. Golden 1812 for Warren Lodge No. 155 Organized March 4, 1807 Ceased paying dues 1818. — Map (db m141366) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Ilion — Challenger Memorial
On West Main Street, on the right when traveling west.
To the memory of those who placed country above self. January 28, 1986 Francis R. Scobee Michael J. Smith Ellison S. Onizuka Judith A. Resnik Ronald E. McNair Gregory B. Jarvis S. Christa McAuliffe — Map (db m137293) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Ilon — Ilon Civil War Memorial
On Otsego Street (New York State Route 51) at Morgan Street, in the median on Otsego Street.
1861-1865 In Memory Of Our Heroes Who Served In The Defence Of The Union — Map (db m142405) WM
New York (Herkimer County), Little Falls — Shaping the CityA Family Legacy
On South Ann Street near Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
The Burrell family were leading businessmen in Little Falls for generations. Their work as cheese producers, brokers, and suppliers helped to make this city a national center for the dairy industry in the late nineteenth and early twentieth century. . . . — Map (db m131233) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Little Falls — The Cheese BusinessSupplying the Demand
On South Anne Street at Albany Street, on the right when traveling north on South Anne Street.
Over two hundred cheese-makers regularly attended the Little Falls cheese market on Ann St. Most of the cheese factories were located in Herkimer County north of the Mohawk River. Competition was brisk, so the highest prices were often paid. The . . . — Map (db m131230) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Mohawk — F.E. Spinner Home
On East Main Street, on the right when traveling west.
Herkimer Co. Sheriff 1834 Member of Congress 1854-60 Appointed Treasurer of the United States by Lincoln Served 1861-1875 — Map (db m137296) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Newport — Benjamin Bowen House
On Main Street (New York State Route 28), on the right when traveling north.
One of the original settlers of Newport, NY. Federal Georgian Four-Square native limestone, circa 1812 — Map (db m137044) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Newport — Masonic TempleNewport Lodge #455
On New York State Route 28, on the right when traveling north.
Free and Accepted Masons Organized 1858 Erected building 1902 Dedicated 1903 — Map (db m137038) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Newport — Newport War Memorials
On Main Street (New York State Route 28), on the right when traveling north.
center plaque: Dedicated to the Memory of Guy Bateman Daniel Toomey Theodore Morey Who made the Supreme Sacrifice in the World War left plaque: Dedicated to the memory of Kenneth Fischer Who made the . . . — Map (db m137110) WM
New York (Herkimer County), Salisbury — John Faville
On Burrell Road (New York State Route 29), on the right when traveling west on Burrell Road.
Settled here about 1779. The first town meeting was organized in 1797 at Hacklet's Tavern on this property. — Map (db m136978) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Van Hornesville — Owen D. Young1874-1962
On New York State Route 80 at Tilyou Road, on the right when traveling north on State Route 80.
This Public School was the gift of Owen D. Young 1874-1962 who was born and went to school in this village, and throughout a distinguished career in law, industry, education and foreign affairs maintained here in Van Hornesville . . . — Map (db m141369) HM
New York (Monroe County), Irondequoit — Irondequoit War Memorial
On Titus Avenue west of Kings Highway (County Route 118).
Dedicated to all the men and women of Irondequoit who served their country with respect and devotion. — Map (db m137316) WM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — 506 — First RIT Campus
On Spring Street, on the right when traveling east.
Rochester Athenaeum est. 1829 Mechanics Institute est. 1885 located here. Merged 1891 & renamed Rochester Institute of Technology in 1944. — Map (db m128545) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Indian Town
On Joseph C Wilson Blvd north of Elmwood Ave., on the left when traveling north. Reported missing.
In primitive wilderness here was a large Algonkin village whose bark cabins and tilled fields covered nine acres — Map (db m131213) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — The Genesee
On Wilson Boulevard, on the left when traveling east.
Full many fair and famous streams beneath the sun there be, But more to us than any seems our own dear Genesee. We love her banks and stately falls, for to our minds they bring Our dear old Alma Mater's halls, where sweetest memories cling. . . . — Map (db m131259) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — Adriucha
On New York State Route 5 at Swart Hill Road, on the right when traveling west on State Route 5.
Site of first mill west of Schenectady 1700. Land purchased 1600 by Philip DeGroot family. Land part of Comfort Patent — Map (db m130693) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — 477 — Kirk Douglas
On Main Street (New York State Route 5) at Eagle Street, on the right when traveling east on Main Street.
Film legend born Dec. 9, 1916 to immigrant parents living at 46 Eagle St. Rose from poverty to appear in over 90 films in Hollywood. — Map (db m138040) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — Pvt. Frank J. Sirchia MemorialDedicated in Memory of All Veterans
On Guy Park Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
In honor of Frank J. Sirchia Born March 1, 1924 Killed in action June 6, 1944 on the Normandy Beachhead in France 29th Infantry Division — Map (db m137662) WM
New York (Montgomery County), Canajoharie — Canajoharie Academy
On Otsego Street at Cliff Street, on the right when traveling north on Otsego Street.
Site of Canajoharie Academy 1824-92 Susan B. Anthony Taught Here 1846 50. Charles F. Wheelock, Prin., 1880-91 — Map (db m57934) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fonda — Fonda Cemetery
On Cemetery Street, on the right when traveling north.

Old [Caughnawaga] Cemetery. Village property since 1855. Many early settlers buried here. Also 6 Revolutionary soldiers. — Map (db m131373) HM

New York (Montgomery County), Fonda — Peggy Wemple Tavern and Mill
On Cayadutta Street at Putnam Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Cayadutta Street.
Site of Peggy Wemple Tavern and mill. Husband Barent M. Wemple d. 1771. Tories burned property-1780. Peggy rebuilt same year, ground 2,200 bushels of wheat for Army — Map (db m131359) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Hagaman — Anti Slavery Soc.
On Church Street, on the left.
Amsterdam residents met in this building Nov. 9 1836 to form Amsterdam Anti-slavery Society, Mong. Co.'s 1st stand against slavery — Map (db m131485) HM
New York (Montgomery County), St. Johnsville — Col. Jacob Klock
On Old Route 5 at East Main Street (New York State Route 5), on the right when traveling west on Old Route 5.
This tablet marks the site of the home of Col. Jacob Klock meeting place of the Tryon County Vigilance Committee June 16, 1775 July 10-11, 1775 and first and second town meetings of St. Johnsville. Battle of Klocks Field Oct. . . . — Map (db m137565) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Rockefeller Apartments
On West 55th Street, on the right when traveling east.
Rockefeller Apartments, built in 1935-37, are a major example of the International Style. Designed by the firm of Harrison & Fouilhoux, the two buildings were commissioned by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. and Nelson Rockefeller to enhance the family . . . — Map (db m127283) HM
New York (Oneida County), Utica — Utica Civil War Memorial
On Genesee Street at Oneida Square Roundabout, on the right when traveling south on Genesee Street.
We Keep In Memory The Men of Utica Who Risked Their Lives To Save The Union North Face: From Sumter By Land and Sea To Appomattox West Face/East Face: 1861/1865 Top Inscription: One Flag, One Land, One . . . — Map (db m141426) WM
New York (Otsego County), Brighton — Brighton
On U.S. 20 0.1 miles west of Brighton Road, on the right when traveling west.
Site of 2d match factory in U.S., Eaton and Stanton owners 1845-50, 1st post office in town 1807, Ivory Holland, 1st post master. — Map (db m142402) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), West Sand Lake — Weatherwax Home
On New York State Route 43, on the right when traveling west.
First house built before 1794. Among earliest settlers, the family came from Palatinate Germany in early 1700's. Third home on site circa 1805. — Map (db m137021) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Christ Episcopal Church
On Middleline Road, on the right when traveling north.
Site of first Episcopal church in Saratoga County. Erected 1792, removed to Ballston Spa 1817 — Map (db m127386) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Hawkwood MansionThe Later Years
Near Middle Line Road.
Top Left This is an undated picture from the collection of the Theuner family. They owned the property for a short time in the 1920's. Note the porch lanterns, probably fueled by acetylene. This was the first house in town to have working . . . — Map (db m134007) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Lake — East Line Union Cemetery
On East Line Road near Round Lake Road, on the right when traveling north.
Oldest recorded grave 1785. Graves of 20 Revolutionary War veterans including Gen. Samuel Clark, elected first Supervisor of Town of Malta — Map (db m129006) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Dunning Street Common
On Dunning Street at U.S. 9, on the right when traveling east on Dunning Street.
Given by Michael Dunning. Parade ground for militia training in the Revolution. Preserved as village green for grazing, horse races and other town festivities. — Map (db m129066) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — McCrea Hill
On New York State Route 50, on the right when traveling north.
Brothers James, Sam, & Wm. McCrea built near here 1771. James and Sam fought for Rev. War. Wm. sided with British. Sister Jane martyred 1777. — Map (db m127211) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Burnt Hills — Burnt Hills Baptist Church
On Kingsley Road, on the left when traveling north.
Founded 1783. Present church built 1839. Hillside Cemetery adjoining. 1st burial 1782. — Map (db m127529) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Burnt Hills — Centennial Barn
On Goode Street, on the right when traveling south.
Built by barn raising in 1900 on C. Van Vorst Farm. Later run by David Garrison. Origin of BH-BL Rotary-1950. Known as Laur Lin Dee Farm. — Map (db m129241) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — CharltonEst. 1792
On Stage Road, on the right.
Historic District Boundary. Jesse Conde Settled here in 1774 — Map (db m126739) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — CharltonEst. 1792
On Charlton Road, on the right when traveling east.
Historic District Boundary. Dr. William Mead settled here in 1794 — Map (db m126742) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Conde CreekSawmill Site
On New York State Route 147, on the right.
Here 1800 stood a sawmill built and operated by Simon I. Van Patten — Map (db m126934) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Slab Troy
On Stage Road, on the right when traveling south.
5,000 acre tract once a hamlet of mills & trades located on the Alplaus Kill. Little Troy School Dist. #7 New Stage Road bridge 1967 — Map (db m126945) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Church c. 1795
On Clifton Park Center Road.
Site of Clifton Park Dutch Reformed Church. Referred to as “North Church.” Sold in 1862 and dismantled. — Map (db m136451) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Edinburg — Town Meeting
On Sinclair Road (County Route 5) near Northville Road, on the left when traveling south.
First town meeting held on this site March 13, 1801 at the home of James Goodwin. Town named Northfield; changed to Edinburgh in 1808. — Map (db m136291) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Galway — Site Of John McClelland
On New York State Route 147, on the right when traveling north.
House and store 1774 Original Scottish settler opened first store 1780 served as first town supervisor from 1792-1794 — Map (db m126931) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Galway — The Gere House
On Sacandaga Road (New York State Route 147), on the right when traveling north.
Built 1794 by Isaac Gere IV Col. Isaac Gere b. 1765 d. 1849 Town supervisor in 1803 State Senator 1830-1834 — Map (db m126942) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Gansevoort — Mawney TavernCirca 1790
On New York State Route 32, on the left when traveling north.
The Union Temperate Society of Moreau and Northumberland was organized here on April 13, 1808. Believed to be the first ever temperance organization. — Map (db m133978) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Hadley — Hadley Station
On Rockwell St. (County Route 4) at The railroad tracks, on the right when traveling west on Rockwell St..
1st Train To Hadley 12/1865 Merged With D&H 11/1902 Hotel Guests Met At Station Hadley Depot Closed 8/1958 Station Has Been Demolished Erected 1999 By Town of HadleyMap (db m97390) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Hadley — To Those Who Served
On Rockwell Street (County Route 4) at Stony Creek Road (County Route 1), on the right when traveling west on Rockwell Street.
To those who served our Country in time of war. They gave their today for our tomorrow. — Map (db m131751) WM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Crescent / Mohawk Towpath Byway / Halfmoon
On Old Canal Road.
Crescent When the Erie Canal opened in 1825, the commercial focus in Halfmoon shifted to the village of Crescent where the longest aqueduct on the system carried the canal across the Mohawk River. That aqueduct was replaced in 1842. Between . . . — Map (db m128408) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Van Den Bergh
On Riverview Road, on the left when traveling west.
Property shown on 1767 survey Continued ownership mid 1800’s Farmhouse c. 1834 Family established ferry across the Mohawk in 1707 — Map (db m128382) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Vandenburgh Dunsbach Ferry
On Towpath Road, on the right when traveling north.
Early settlers found well-defined trails between old Indian villages and river fording places. These trails became early roads. Cornelius Claes Vandenburgh established a rope ferry at this site before 1705 connecting an Indian trail that . . . — Map (db m128394) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Jonesville — Store 1892
On Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
Coal yard and grain business run by George Smith at Elnora railroad crossing, named 1882 for wife of Supervisor of D & H. — Map (db m129003) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Luther Forest
On Dunning Street at Fox Wander Road, on the right when traveling east on Dunning Street.
A 7,000 acre forest preserve created by the Luther family 10,000,000 trees planted between 1898 and 1937 — Map (db m129081) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Malta Ridge Cemetery
On U.S. 9 at Saratoga Bridge St, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 9.
Earliest recorded grave 1805. Some early family graves are Arnold, Baker, Brown, Chase, Crouch, Fish, Hill, Ireland, Millard, Phillips, Ramsdale Reno, Riley, Rowley, Wiggins. — Map (db m129058) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Site of First CourtSaratoga County May 10, 1791
On Eastline Road, on the right when traveling north.
Courts of Common Pleas and General Sessions, held in the residence of Samuel Clark, later first Supervisor of Malta — Map (db m129109) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Malta — Site of Smith-Caldwell Van Aernem HomeCirca 1830
On Medical Park Drive, on the right when traveling south.
Vernacular Federal style farm house contained hidden passageways characteristic of the Underground Railroad. — Map (db m129026) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Mechanicville — Immigrant City
On North Main Street, on the right when traveling north.
Yankees settled in 1760’s. Irish, Italians, & Polish immigrants came to mills & RR yards in late 1800’s, creating our proud ethnic heritage — Map (db m126384) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Mechanicville — Milltown USA
On U.S. 4 near New York State Route 67, on the right when traveling north.
First friction matches, 1811; Champlain Canal, 1823; S & R RY 1835; linen thread mill, 1850; power dam, 1885; rail yards, 1892; book paper mill 1904. — Map (db m129272) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Milton — Milton Hill
On Middleline Road at Lawrence Road, on the left when traveling north on Middleline Road.
Area of town first settled c. 1772 by David Wood family. Powell's Store, Episcopal & Presbyterian Churches until c. 1850; School #3 to 1950's. — Map (db m127303) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Milton — Rose Hill Water Tower
On Middleline Road, on the right when traveling north.
Square, triple-walled stone structure built about 1917 to store and supply running water to Thompson Farm and area. Used until 1970's. — Map (db m127306) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Garnsey House
On New York State Route 146.
1791 Federal home of Nathan Garnsey and his son Nathan Jr., the 2nd supervisor of Clifton Park in 1829. — Map (db m126241) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — In Grateful Memory
Near New York State Route 146, on the right when traveling west.
Of those who died in the service of our country during World War II William B. Piette   Okinawa 1945 J. Merle Boswell   France 1944 Ernest Charbonneau   France 1944 David Currie   Pacific Ocean 1945 Matthew A. Just   Germany 1944 . . . — Map (db m132418) WM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — “The Gut” or “The Valley”(Circa 1920-1960)
On Phila Street at Putnam Street, on the left when traveling east on Phila Street.
In this low-lying neighborhood a lively Jewish enclave of stores markets, hotels and boarding houses catered to NYC summer visitors here for the healing springs. — Map (db m135687) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — Dublin
On Grand Avenue at South Franklin Street, on the right when traveling west on Grand Avenue.
Drawn by hotel & railroad work, Irish & then Italian immigrants populated this special neighborhood from the 1840s through the 1890s — Map (db m131562) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — Gideon Putnam Burying Grounds
On South Franklin Street at Oak Street, on the right when traveling north on South Franklin Street.
Gideon Putnam (1763-1812) early settler and founding father. Developed Saratoga from wilderness to famous spa. Putnam donated this land and was the first to be buried here. The stone wall surrounds the Putnam family plot. National Register of . . . — Map (db m131685) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — The Deer Park Spring
Near Broadway.
The Deer Park Spring, originally known as the Fresh Water Spring, was tubed in 1876 when the Congress and Empire Spring Water Company improved the southern end of Congress Park. At that time, the pond and surrounding area included an enclosed fence . . . — Map (db m131588) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — The Story Starts Here
On High Rock Avenue, on the left when traveling east.
The story of Saratoga Springs starts at this location, High Rock Park and the famous High Rock Spring. The Mohawks visited this site for hundreds of years and drank the healing waters from the spring. In 1771, the Mohawks brought their trusted . . . — Map (db m131582) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — Whitney Field
On Broomfield Road at Denton Road, on the left when traveling north on Broomfield Road.
Built 1901 by W.C. Whitney. Named for son H. P. Whitney, a ten-goal polo player. Abandoned to farmland:1934; found and rebuilt 1978-79 — Map (db m131628) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Schuylerville — Saratoga Surrender Site
On Schuyler Road at U.S. 4, on the right when traveling south on Schuyler Road.
The Saratoga Surrender Site is dedicated to the soldiers of the United States Army who on this spot accepted the surrender of a British army and forever changed the course of American and world history. ~ October 17, 1777 ~ The . . . — Map (db m142205) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Waterford — Brookwood
On Hudson River Road (U.S. 4) at Brookwood Road, on the right when traveling north on Hudson River Road.
In 1760 Thomas Peebles purchased this site along the King's Highway. The Widow Peebles Tavern was located here on a 1779 map. — Map (db m129189) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Waterford — C. Boughton Farm
On Halfmoon Drive, on the right when traveling south.
1850 Doctor and Assemblymen C.S. Hawley later resided here He founded the Halfmoon Academy Sec. to Grover Cleveland Fire Department namesake — Map (db m128391) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Waterford — Waterford1794
On Hudson River Road (U.S. 4), on the left when traveling north.
Oldest continuously incorporated village in New York State — Map (db m129175) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Alplaus — Yates Farm
On Maple Avenue, on the right when traveling south.
And cemetery. Settled 1734 by Joseph Yates 1707-1748. Grandfather of Joseph C. Yates governor of N.Y. 1823-24 — Map (db m131239) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Niskayuna — Edith M. Boldebuck1915-1981
On River Road, on the right.
Edith M. Boldebuck, a leading GE patent holder, played a key role in the developments of plastics and insulating materials. — Map (db m123052) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Niskayuna — The Historic Rexford AqueductA feature of the National Historic Landmark - New York State Canal System - The Erie Canal
On New York State Route 146, on the right when traveling north.
In 1817, the Erie Canal was established under the management of the Erie Canal Commission. The canal was dug from Albany to Buffalo 4’ deep and 40’ wide with stone locks 15’x 90’. The locks were the limiting factor on boat size, and the efficiency . . . — Map (db m128557) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Rotterdam Junction — Alan Fairbanks
On Riverside Drive (New York State Route 5S), on the right when traveling west.
Died November 28, 2006 due to a spinal cord injury caused by a car-bike crash at this crossing, October 29, 2006. The white "ghost bike” has been standing watch as a memorial to Alan since 2007, awaiting the current design to be installed . . . — Map (db m130990) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Nott Terrace High School
On Nott Terrace, on the right when traveling south.
Site of Schenectady High School. Built in 1903, renamed Nott Terrace High School in 1931. Taken down in 1974. — Map (db m127901) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Oldest HouseIn City
On North Church Street.
Built before 1700 by Hendrick Brouwer a fur trader who died here 1707. Sold 1799 to James Rosa, Supt. Mohawk & Hudson R.R. 1831 — Map (db m128840) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Second Ward Second World War Memorial
On Nott Street at Hattie Street, in the median on Nott Street.
In everlasting tribute to the men and women of the Second Ward who served in the armed forces during the Second World War — Map (db m134522) WM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Truax Burial Grounds(700 Ft. NE)
On Kings Road, on the right when traveling east.
Issac Truax and Isaac Jr., two innkeepers on the King’s Highway buried here. — Map (db m127555) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Vale Cemetery
On North Brandywine Avenue (New York State Route 146), on the left when traveling north.
A rural cemetery est. 1857. At rest are early settlers, veterans, notable women, politicians, industrialists, African Americans, inventors. — Map (db m135163) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — Walnut Grove
On Library Lane, on the right when traveling south.
Walnut grove planted by Eliphalet Nott in the 1820s. One of two groves renewed in 2000 by a gift of James and Jean Underwood — Map (db m135006) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Scotia — Mohawk Turnpike
On Mohawk Avenue (New York State Route 5) at Glen Ave, on the left when traveling west on Mohawk Avenue.
Colonial highway westward to St. Johnsville known as "King's Highway” military road 1812 — Map (db m128754) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Scotia — The Camp1755-1812
On Sanders Avenue at South Ballston Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Sanders Avenue.
American Armies’ camping ground on Mohawk River flats west of Glen-Sanders House — Map (db m130188) HM
New York (Schoharie County), North Blenheim — Gen. Freegift Patchin
On New York State Route 30 at North Road, on the left when traveling north on State Route 30.
Fifer in Wadsworth Brigade in Connecticut Militia 1776-1777. Captured by Brant while serving in Captain Alexander Harper’s company of New York militia and prisoner in Canada 1780-82. Brigadier General 1805-14. Member of Assembly from Schoharie . . . — Map (db m132092) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Simeon Laraway Mill
On New York State Route 443 at Homer Zeh Lane, on the left on State Route 443.
Site of Simeon Laraway Mill on Mill Brook. Erected 1737. — Map (db m131402) HM
New York (Schuyler County), Tyrone — Tyrone Roll of Honor
On County Route 23, on the right when traveling west.
Tyrone Roll of Honor Joseph Novak Irwin Knickerbocker denoted as having died in service additional names were not transcribed SPC Christopher J Scott MP US Army Born Nov. 17 1989 K.I.A. Sept 3. 2011 . . . — Map (db m139680) WM
New York (Tioga County), Candor — James McMaster
On Honeypot Road (County Route 305) at Royal Street, on the left when traveling north on Honeypot Road.
Pioneer, Revolutionary soldier to whom was granted title "McMaster's half township" 1788 lies buried near here. — Map (db m141741) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — A Log House
On Front Street at Academy Street, on the left when traveling west on Front Street.
First permanent building in this part of valley built 1785 near here by James McMaster & party. — Map (db m141738) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Ahgawa Hotel
On Front Street (New York State Route 17C) at Church Street, on the right when traveling west on Front Street.
Built 1852, torn down 1959 Site where Thomas "Boss" Platt conducted state and National Republican affairs late 19th to 20th century — Map (db m141764) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Former Residence
On Front Street (New York State Route 17C) at John Street, on the left when traveling west on Front Street.
John J. Taylor 1808-1892 Judge, Lawyer 27th Congress 1852-1854 D.A. Tioga Co. 1841-1843 1846 Constitutional Conv. — Map (db m141758) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Former SiteFemale Seminary 1843-1865
On Front Street (New York State Route 17C) 0.1 miles west of Paige Street, on the right when traveling west.
Female seminary 1843 -1865 Belva A. Lockwood principal 1863-1865, National Equal Rights Party candidate for U S President 1884 and 1888 — Map (db m141767) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — On the Site of Owego
On Front Street (New York State Route 17C) at Church Street, on the left on Front Street.
On the Site of Owego Aug. 19-20, 1779 encamped 3000 Continental soldiers the union of General Clinton's army which had advanced from Otsego Lake with a convoy of 208 Bateaux and a detachment under General Poor from General . . . — Map (db m141830) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Two Rivers GreenwayOwego Segment
On Front Street at Parkers Lane, on the left when traveling west on Front Street.
Welcome to Owego The Village of Owego affords all the pleasures of small-town life to its visitors and locals alike. Situated on the banks of the picturesque Susquehanna River, Owego has scenic natural views from the Court Street Bridge and . . . — Map (db m141853) HM
New York (Ulster County), Accord — Training FieldSite Of
On U.S. 209, on the left when traveling south.
Colonial militia, in the French and Indian and Revolutionary Wars, met for training in a field at this place — Map (db m131720) HM
New York (Ulster County), Saugerties — 224 — 1869 Lighthouse
Near Lighthouse Drive.
Situated 0.5 mi east. Marks Hudson River shoals and the entrance to Saugerties Harbor on the Esopus Creek. Replaced 1835 lighthouse — Map (db m132584) HM
New York (Ulster County), Saugerties — Glasco Turnpike
On County Route 33 at New York State Route 32, on the right when traveling east on County Route 33.
Road from early glass works on the upper Sawkill, to shipping point on Hudson, above Rondout. Named for sign on company's warehouse. — Map (db m132541) HM
New York (Ulster County), Shandaken — Fort Shandaken
On New York State Route 28, on the right when traveling north.
During the Revolutionary War, a log fort stood near this spot to defend Kingston from enemy attack — Map (db m132135) HM
New York (Warren County), Bolton — The Huddle
On New York State Route 9N, on the left when traveling north.
Bolton's first hamlet. First post office (1816), general store, tannery blacksmith shop, gristmill & residences — Map (db m130054) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake George — Alfred Stieglitz/Georgia O’Keeffe
On Lakeshore Drive (New York State Route 9N) at Hill Drive, on the left when traveling north on Lakeshore Drive.
Alfred Stieglitz (1864-1946) Georgia O’Keeffe (1887-1986) They lived on this hill and created art reflecting their love of Lake George. — Map (db m130051) HM
New York (Washington County), Buskirk — Reformed Dutch Church at Tiossiook
On New York State Route 67 at Buskirk-West Hoosick Road, on the right when traveling east on State Route 67.
Organized May 2, 1792. Present building erected 1823. First pastor Rev. S. Smith — Map (db m132507) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Fort Edward War Memorial
On Rogers Island Drive, on the right.
Dedicated to the memory of those who have served in the wars engaged in by the United States and especially those who gave their lives. — Map (db m133995) WM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — The Hudson River at Fort EdwardNative Americans
On Rogers Island Drive, in the median.
Archaeological excavations in the Fort Edward region have shown that Native Americans have lived here for at least 8,000 years, and probably as long as 11,000-12,000 years. The Hudson River, as well as several lakes and streams in the area supplied . . . — Map (db m134456) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — The Hudson River at Fort Edward, NYEuropean Encounter
The European exploration of the Hudson River began in 1609 as Henry Hudson, an Englishman, sailed north to Albany and beyond. Working for the Dutch East India Company, Hudson sought a northern passage to India and while he was unsuccessful, the . . . — Map (db m134642) HM
New York (Washington County), Hebron — Hebron School District No. 16
On New York State Route 22, on the right when traveling north.
Hebron District 16 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2012 by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m132226) HM
New York (Washington County), Hudson Falls — Coal Silos
On Maple Street (New York State Route 196), on the right when traveling east.
Built by Griffin Lumber Co. fall 1906. Each silo held a different grade of coal. Built using cement blocks invented by Griffin Lumber. — Map (db m131688) HM
New York (Washington County), Salem — Lest We Forget
On County Route 153 near Cato Street, on the right when traveling east.
1776-1918 Dedicated to the memory of all men of Salem New York who in devoted patriotism gave their total service to their country during time of war and to those who made the supreme sacrifice for liberty and humanity. — Map (db m58524) HM
New York (Wayne County), Clyde — Clyde Blockhouse Historical Site
On New York State Route 31, on the right when traveling east.
In 1722 a blockhouse was built here by an expedition sent by Governor William Burnet of the Province of New York. The site was the location of an earlier French trading post, on the trail leading from Sodus Bay. During the French and Indian War, . . . — Map (db m131857) HM
New York (Wayne County), Clyde — Clyde Historical Highlights
On Water Street, on the right when traveling west.
1722 Blockhouse constructed 1782 Military Tract #27 (now Town of Galen) established for Revolutionary War medical staff veterans 1811 Permanent settlement, Lauraville, begins south of river 1825 Erie Canal completed/Stow Insurance Office . . . — Map (db m132026) HM
New York (Wayne County), Sodus Point — The War of 1812Bicentennial Peace Garden — Sodus Point —
On Bay Street (New York State Route 14), on the right when traveling north.
The battle of Troupesville (later renamed Sodus Point) was fought at the brow of this hill on the rainy evening of June 19th, 1813. A group of approximately 60 Americans (farmers with no military training and poorly trained militia) fired into a . . . — Map (db m129942) HM
New York (Yates County), Branchport — Beddoe Tract
On New York State Route 54A, on the right when traveling north.
7000 acres bought in 1797 by John Beddoe, who added 600 acres for his home on the lake in 1798. He was "John Beddoe of Esperanza" — Map (db m139646) HM
New York (Yates County), Branchport — Bluff Point & Keuka Lake History
On New York State Route 54A, on the right.
Names Tell a Story Keuka Lake’s distinctive “Y” shape led early European settlers to call it “Crooked Lake,” perhaps believing one of the Native American names for the lake, Keuka, meant “Crooked.” . . . — Map (db m139746) HM
New York (Yates County), Penn Yan — Owl’s Nest
On Seneca Street at Basin Street, on the left when traveling east on Seneca Street.
Hotel located on this site stood along a boat basin. The basin served the canal which connected the Lakes Keuka and Seneca — Map (db m139649) HM
Ohio (Delaware County), Galena — Hoover Reservoir
On Front Street, on the left when traveling south.
Galena sits at the confluence of Big Walnut and Little Walnut Creeks. The village square was once surrounded on all four sides by buildings and commercial properties on stilts once lined the Big Walnut Creek. Because Columbus considered them . . . — Map (db m133589) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Cincinnati — 37-31 — The Kroger Co. / Over-The-Rhine
On Vine Street at 15th Street, on the right when traveling north on Vine Street.
The Kroger Co. Near this site in was one of the original Kroger Grocery & Baking Company stores, where Bernard H. Kroger began serving the Over-the-Rhine area in 1902. Kroger was 23 years when he opened his first store. The Great Western Tea . . . — Map (db m133320) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Harrison — Harrison War Memorial
On Harrison Avenue at Walnut Street, on the right when traveling east on Harrison Avenue.
In honor of the men of Harrison, Ohio who made the supreme sacrifice

Korean Conflict Congressional Medal of Honor Award William Baugh World War II Willard Baker   Elvyn Fagley   Gilbert Otto Eugene Barrow   Robert Gillman . . . — Map (db m133623) WM

Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Oil CreekPennsylvania Petroleum Products
On Smock Boulevard (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right.
The Oil Creek Refining Company was founded by Dennis McGraw and incorporated in 1919-20. It was a "home-owned” oil refinery and operated in East Titusville. The company was the first to market motor oil in refinery-sealed, disposable cans . . . — Map (db m134081) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Sun Oil Co./Sunoco
On Smock Blvd. (Pennsylvania Route 8), on the right when traveling north.
Titusville residents Joseph Pew and E.O. Emerson organized the Sun Oil Company in March 1890. Based in Pennsylvania, Sun Oil was operated by the Pew family who became giants in refining and shipbuilding. The company went public in 1922 and was . . . — Map (db m133600) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Oil City — McClintock Well #1Producing Oil Since 1861
On Waitz Road, on the right when traveling west.
Designated as an American Treasure by the National Park Service in 1999, McClintock #1 is a shallow, stripper well- one of many independently owned - that produce a few barrels (bbls) daily, but together generate around 30% of American oil. In . . . — Map (db m133603) HM
Pennsylvania (Warren County), Warren — In Grateful Recognition
On Crescent Park at Main Ave. on Crescent Park.
Of the heroism and sacrifice of all those who gave themselves to the service of our country during the World War ending November 12, 1918 — Map (db m133569) WM
Vermont (Bennington County), Rupert — Town of Rupert Great War Memorial
On Rupert Road (Vermont Route 315), on the right when traveling west.
In grateful remembrance of the men from the Town of Rupert who entered the Great War of 1914-1919 to fight for the triumph of right and freedom names were not transcribedMap (db m138813) WM
Vermont (Essex County), Canaan — Canaan Vermont War Memorials
On Vermont Route 115 near Vermont Route 102, on the right when traveling east.
Canaan Remembers 1917 - World War-1919 Canaan Honor Rolls 1950 - Korean War -1954 Jean C. Lanctot, Albert Leonard denoted as having died in service 1965 - Vietnam Conflicit - 1973 1941 - World War II - 1945 no . . . — Map (db m140467) WM
Vermont (Franklin County), St. Albans — History on the Hill/Leçon d'historie sur la colline
On Church Street, on the right when traveling north.
For more than a century, the students of St. Albans made this building a center of scholarship, sports and citizenship. Constructed in 1860 in the Renaissance Revival style, the building replaced two schools-the first built in 1800, the . . . — Map (db m140482) HM
Vermont (Franklin County), St. Albans — St. Albans Civil War Memorial
On S Main Street (U.S. 7) at Lake Street, on the right on S Main Street.
To Those Brave Men of St. Albans who Fought in the Civil War Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we . . . — Map (db m140579) WM
Vermont (Franklin County), Swanton — 10,000 Years of Fishing/10 000 ans de pêche
Near Vermont Route 78, on the left when traveling east.
Lake Champlain: An Important Fishery for the Abenaki Native peoples have been fishing the waters of the Champlain Valley for more than 10,000 years. The first evidence of humans here dates from a time when the salty Champlain Sea . . . — Map (db m140016) HM
Vermont (Lamoille County), Johnson — Town of Johnson Civil War Honor Roll
On Lower Main Street W (Vermont Route 15) at Gould Hill, on the right when traveling east on Lower Main Street W.
Honor Roll Erected by the Town of Johnson In Grateful Remembrance of Her Citizens Who Protected Their Country's Flag During the Civil War. 1861 — 1865 James H. Adams • Levi B. Adams • Sumner A . Andrews • Frank B. Atwell • Marshall . . . — Map (db m140633) WM
Vermont (Lamoille County), Johnson — Town of Johnson World War and Spanish War Honor Roll
On Lower Main Street W (Vermont Route 15) at Gould Hill, on the right when traveling east on Lower Main Street W.
Honor Roll Erected by the Town of Johnson In Grateful Appreciation of the Services Rendered by Her Citizens to Their Country During The World War. 1917-1919 Wallace A. Atwell • ★Howard L. Bailey • Delbert T. Dubray • C. Gordon. . . . — Map (db m140636) WM
Vermont (Rutland County), Rutland — Governor Israel Smith1759 - 1810
On West Street (Business U.S. 4) at Forest Street, on the right when traveling west on West Street.
Governor Israel Smith was buried at the West Street Cemetery. Smith served in the state legislature and as a delegate to the Vermont Constitutional Convention, which ratified the US Constitution. When Vermont became a state in 1791, he . . . — Map (db m141495) HM

1221 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 401 through 601 were listed. Previous 200 Next 621
Paid Advertisement