Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Search Results

1221 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 601 through 801 are listed. Previous 200 Next 421
 
Governor Horatio Seymour Marker image, Touch for more information
By Steve Stoessel, October 20, 2019
Governor Horatio Seymour Marker
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — Hay House/La maison Hay134 Connell Street/134, rue Connell
This Edwardian house, the home of Murray Hay, was built in 1904. It has a decorative verandah and a stained glass window in the dormer, facing the scenic Meduxnekeag river. Mr. Hay was a well known businessman for many years. . . . — Map (db m139183) HM
New Brunswick (Carleton County), Woodstock — L. P. Fisher Library/Bibliothèque L. P. Fisher679 Main Street/679, rue Principale
L. P. Fisher (1821-1905) was the first mayor of Woodstock, from 1856-1880. He was a lawyer and he advocated free public education and technical training. Due to his advocacy he left a free public hospital (his private residence), a . . . — Map (db m138868) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Canso — Welcome to Canso Harbour/Bienvenue au Port de Canso
This is a place where seafaring people found shelter from the harshness of the Northwest Atlantic. It is the most easterly point of mainland Nova Scotia, remote and exposed upon Chedabucto peninsula, yet close to the fishing banks so . . . — Map (db m140505) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Larrys River — Founding Families of the Acadian Communities Along Tor Bay 1797-1900Familles fondatrices Acadiennes dela Région de Tor Baie 1797-1900
This monument is the creation of Raymond Delorey of Larrys River and the idea was conceived by members of "la Société des Acadiens de la Région de Tor Baie” under the direction of its Executive, President, Jude Avery, Vice President, . . . — Map (db m141175) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Larrys River — 1 — French Expeditions Aimed At Settling North AmericaExpéditions françaises destinées à s'établir en Amérique du Nord
In 1603, Henry IV, King of France, granted Pierre Dugas, Sieur de Monts, the right to colonize lands in North America between the 40th and 60th degree north latitude. Along with the right to colonize that extensive region, his company was . . . — Map (db m141181) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Larrys River — 6 — The Great Upheaval 1755-1763Le grand dérangement
With the founding of Halifax in 1749 as a British naval base, the Acadians became the target of concern and possible displacement. Demands on them to accept and sign an "oath of allegiance” to the British crown were made several . . . — Map (db m141258) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Larrys River — Tor BayFirst Successful Direct Commercial Cable Landing
To commemorate the landing at Tor Bay (Port Faraday) on September 15, 1875, of the first direct commercial cable to successfully transmit messages from England to the mainland of North America — Map (db m138590) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Queensport — Our Forefathers
Early European Settlers The first European settlers of Queensport -- then known as Crow Harbour – bore family names of Digdon, Lamb, Lindsay, Sherlock, and Smith. The latter two families established a large fishing enterprise in the . . . — Map (db m140674) HM
Nova Scotia (Guysborough County), Whitehead — The Canal
The Whitehead Canal is located between Whitehead Harbour and Witch Cove. Prior to its construction, fishermen had to haul their boats over a narrow beach between Whitehead and Molasses Harbour (now Port Felix) at a spot known as "The Haulover". . . . — Map (db m139515) HM
Nova Scotia (Halifax Regional Municipality), Halifax — Rotary Performance Platform & Lookoff/ Scéne et belvédère des clubs Rotary
In honour of the 100th Anniversary of Rotary International, Rotary Clubs of Halifax are pleased to join Waterfront Development Corporation limited in creating this performance platform and lookoff as a gift to the people of the Halifax . . . — Map (db m139326) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), Cavendish — Cavendish Dunelands Trail/Cavendish Sentier DunelandsHistory of the Cavendish Area/Histoire de la région de Cavendish.
History of the Cavendish Area. There is archaeological evidence that ancestors of the present-day Mi’kmaq lived on the shores of nearby New London Bay. It is very likely these early Islanders would have travelled here to hunt, . . . — Map (db m139369) HM
Prince Edward Island (Queens County), North Rustico — North Rustico War Memorial
Dedicated to the men and women of this community who served their country in World War 1, World War II, and the Korean War and in grateful tribute to those who made the supreme sacrifice. W.W. II W.O. II Fredrick L. Bulman Pte. . . . — Map (db m139243) WM
Kentucky (Boone County), Hebron — 2380 — Crash of TWA Flight 694
TWA flight 694,tail #N93211, had taken off from the airport when it was struck by a private DC-3 & fell to the ground approximately 750 feet west of here, on January 12, 1955 at 9:04 a.m. The TWA Martin 202A was en route to Cleveland, Ohio & . . . — Map (db m133123) HM
Kentucky (Boone County), Walton — 2510 — Walton CCC Camp Bean Ridge
Side 1 Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) company 3541 began here in July 1935 on a former ball park site owned by John L. Vest. Known as Camp Bean Ridge to the 200 men stationed here, it was 1 of 44 CCC camps in Kentucky In all, more . . . — Map (db m133269) HM
Maine (Knox County), Rockport — André the SealSculpture by Jane Wasey — 1978 —
André was born on Robinson’s Rock in Penobscot Bay on May 16, 1961. Abandoned at birth, he was found, befriended, raised and trained by Harry Goodridge of Rockport, Maine. André is honorary harbor master of Rockport Harbor and is a celebrity of more . . . — Map (db m124338) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — First Plastic
Celluloid-invented 1868 by John Wesley Hyatt First Use- Billiard Balls Albany Billiard Ball Co. — Map (db m129994) HM
New York (Albany County), Albany — Route of The King’s Highway
First Dutch road between Albany and Schenectady c. 1663 — Map (db m127902) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Dedicated
Dedicated to those who served our country in all wars. For the glory of God and American independence. — Map (db m131474) WM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 8 — Home Front CafeAltamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets —
ON 2 APRIL 1864, DAVID BECKER purchased an acre of land from Conrad Crounse for $400, along the newly laid railroad tracks. On this land, Silas Hilton and Benjamin Crounse built a dry goods store, with rooms to let upstairs. The store . . . — Map (db m131500) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — Indian Ladder Farms
Established 1916 by Peter G. Ten Eyck, Congressman and Commissioner of Agriculture, operated as a dairy and apple orchard. — Map (db m135951) HM
New York (Albany County), Altamont — 1 — Orsini ParkAltamont, New York — The Museum in the Streets —
ORSINI PARK WAS CARVED FROM LAND the Albany & Susquehanna Railroad purchased from George Severson (1794-1883) in the early 1850s for the railroad's right-of-way. In addition to the railroad tracks, the land included room for a depot, a . . . — Map (db m131477) HM WM
New York (Albany County), Clarksville — Harmanus Bogardus House / Blacksmith Shop
( east face ) Site of Harmanus Bogardus House Built by Bogardus c.1803. Adam A. Clark House 1822-1838. John Crookes House 1864-1868. Morgan E. Barber House 1882-1918. Burned in Great Fire of 1918. ( west face . . . — Map (db m142472) HM
New York (Albany County), Clarksville — Meed House
Built about 1810 by Harmanus Bogardus for Henry L. Meed, first postmaster of Bethlehem P.O. from 1812-1826. P.O. was here. Bethlehem supervisor 1821-1822 — Map (db m142469) HM
New York (Albany County), Coeymans Hollow — 1780 Shear Farm
Built by Israel Shear. Restored 1980 by Paul & Nancy Caswell. Placed on State Register of Historic Places October 9, 1996. National Register Dec. 6, 1996 — Map (db m131672) HM
New York (Albany County), Cohoes — New Yorker Power Authority
The present day hydroelectric power plant located at this site is owned and operated by the New York Power Authority. It was constructed in 1908 when the Mohawk River was dammed, the Waterford Flight of Locks was constructed, and the Erie Canal . . . — Map (db m138991) HM
New York (Albany County), East Berne — Mill Site
Mill built here about 1765 by John and Christopher Warner — Map (db m132602) HM
New York (Albany County), New Scotland — Hotaling / Pound House
Built by Capt. Thomas Rogers c.1820. Home of Aaron Hotaling. owned for over 50 years by the family of Arthur Pound, state historian, poet & author. — Map (db m142764) HM
New York (Albany County), Rensselaerville — Federal Library
This first library was organized March 13, 1798, with 186 subscribers and 200 books. Dissolved 1832. — Map (db m136123) HM
New York (Albany County), Rensselaerville — Hans Winegar
From Stockbridge, Mass. second settler in the village built a log home on the site of the village in 1788 — Map (db m136114) HM
New York (Albany County), Rensselaerville — Samuel JenkinsThe Father of Rensselaerville
Known as Jenkin's Mills 1795-1896. First visited site in 1787, located 1788, built house and grist mill 1789. Died 1837 — Map (db m136126) HM
New York (Albany County), Slingerlands — New Scotland
New Scotland Town formed April 25, 1832 from Bethlehem. First town meeting held at home of Edmund Raynsford April 9, 1833. — Map (db m140963) HM
New York (Albany County), Slingerlands — Slingerland Family Burial Vault Erected 1852
John I. 1804-1861 Congressman, abolitionist Champion of the Homestead Act — Map (db m136813) HM
New York (Albany County), Slingerlands — The Slingerlands Train Station — Connecting People with Communities —
The freight house and post office were central businesses in small railroad communities. In 1864, a year after the first train came through, a combination passenger and freight station was built, which remains today near Kenwood Avenue. In . . . — Map (db m142349) HM
New York (Albany County), Watervliet — In Memory of Those Who Served
City of Watervliet, New York World War I Veterans (List of names) — Map (db m131683) WM
New York (Albany County), Westerlo — Albany County
One of the original counties of the Province of New York created by law November 1, 1683. Mother of many counties. — Map (db m130618) HM
New York (Chautauqua County), Frewsburg — Frew House
Frew House First house erected in Frewsburg. Built 1807 by Hugh and Mary R. Frew — Map (db m105669) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Addoms - Hagar Burial Ground
The burial site of John Addoms, Luther Hagar and their families, 1807-1853 — Map (db m136767) HM
New York (Clinton County), Plattsburgh — Heart of a Thriving Community
The Saranac River runs through the heart of the City of Plattsburgh. The river supported native peoples long before the arrival of Europeans, and it has been crucial in the commercial and industrial development of the region since the first . . . — Map (db m141172) HM
New York (Clinton County), Rouses Point — Ezra Thurber’s Home1818
President Monroe stayed here, later used in the Underground Railroad, 1860 — Map (db m139930) HM
New York (Columbia County), Chatham — Chatham
First known as Groats' Corners. Settled about 1811. Incorporated 1869. Earlier renowned as an important terminal on three railraods. — Map (db m135977) HM
New York (Columbia County), Chatham — Chatham War Memorial
In grateful memory of the services rendered by the men of Chatham, that the principles of this Republic might br preserved. Rededicated in celebration of our bicentennial Nov. 11, 1976 — Map (db m135980) WM
New York (Columbia County), Chatham — The American Legion
Held its first post meeting in Columbia County in this building when Chatham Post 42 convened here July 12, 1919 — Map (db m135957) HM
New York (Columbia County), Clermont — Highland Turnpike
Incorporated in 1804. An early road — Map (db m137800) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — 3 — Blast Furnace & Charging DeckIron Works Trail
In 1845, Lemuel Pomeroy II built the first iron furnace near this location. The blast furnace stack visible today dates to about 1871, when improvements were made to the Copake Iron Works by Frederick Miles after he purchased the site from Pomeroy. . . . — Map (db m135848) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — 6 — Blowing Engine HouseIron Works Trail
This brick building once housed bellows to drive air into the blast furnace. The Blowing Engine House , an addition to the 1840's/1850's Machine Shop, is depicted on an 1888 property map. The building's brick buttresses were constructed to keep the . . . — Map (db m135874) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — Copake Iron Works Historic District
Ironworks established in 1845 by Lemuel Pomeroy; later operated by the Miles family. Ceased operation in the 1920's. Acquired by Taconic State Park in 1928. State and National Register of Historic PlacesMap (db m135719) HM
New York (Columbia County), Copake Falls — 19 — Site of Pomeroy HousesIron Works Trail
Maps dating to the mid-19th century indicate that two dwellings once stood in this location. The homes were probably built in the early 1850's. One of the houses belonged to the first owner of the Copake Iron Works, Lemuel Pomeroy II, and later to . . . — Map (db m135871) HM
New York (Columbia County), Hudson — Korea
In honor of those men & women from Columbia County who served and in memory of those who died defending a country they never knew and a people they never met. Back of Marker: Korea The Forgotten War 1950-1953 Edward J. Aiken William Henry Doss . . . — Map (db m130587) WM
New York (Columbia County), Stuyvesant — Henry Van Schaack
Died here in 1823. Built these two houses. Was on first Board of Trustees of Williams College. — Map (db m37497) HM
New York (Columbia County), Tanghail — Stage Inn
J. Suydam's Hotel, 1798-1822; Dr. C. Suydam's Office 1798-1822 J. Suydam Jr.'s Hotel 1822-49; Post office until 1906 — Map (db m138012) HM
New York (Delaware County), Delhi — Delaware County Civil War MemorialSoldiers' Monument
Erected by the people of Delaware County In grateful remembrance of those Who served their Country in the Civil War And who have defended The American Flag (List of Battles) Gettysburg Antietam Wilderness Cold Harbor . . . — Map (db m137663) WM
New York (Delaware County), Hamden — O & W Railroad
The New York & Oswego Midland Railroad was incorporated in 1866. The route chosen stretched from Oswego on Lake Ontario to Jersey City, NJ. When the panic of 1873 hit, the Midland entered bankruptcy. In 1880, a new group of investors bought . . . — Map (db m137623) HM
New York (Delaware County), Margaretville — 1899 Round Barn
Built for Kelly Brothers for easier cow care. Meade family ran dairy farm through 1963. Reconstructed 1988 State and National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m132124) HM
New York (Delaware County), Margaretville — Margaretville
Hamlet developed in 1840s. First hotel opened at this site 1845. Village named for Margaret Livingston when it incorporated in 1875. — Map (db m132230) HM
New York (Delaware County), Margaretville — Margaretville War Memorial
To the men and women of the community who served in the armed forces of the United States of America in time of war. — Map (db m132244) WM
New York (Dutchess County), Millerton — Iron Mine PondTaconic State Park
People have mined iron in the Taconic region since the late 1700s. The first iron furnace with a steam-powered bellows was built on this site in 1847. Caleb Maltby purchased the mine in 1861 and the Maltby Iron Company produced a high grade of iron . . . — Map (db m138098) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Millerton — 428 — Irondale School
One room schoolhouse ca. 1850-1930. Stood here until 2013 when moved to Village of Millerton for visitors' center. — Map (db m135711) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — 353 — Attlebury School
Attlebury School District #12 Built ca. 1911 After Original Building Destroyed by Fire in 1909. Closed 1945. Acquired by Stanford Hist. Soc. 2014. — Map (db m140611) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Attlebury School House
Attlebury School House has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2016 by the United States Department of the Interior William G. Pomeroy Foundation 2016 Attlebury School The one room schoolhouse on this . . . — Map (db m140614) HM
New York (Dutchess County), Pine Plains — Old Tavern
Site of Old Tavern Log House Tavern in 1798, Dr. Asahel Haskins, Prop. Hotel Built 1804 by F. & E. Dibblee. G. Ketterer Owner Enlarged Hotel 1872 & 1882. — Map (db m140608) HM
New York (Essex County), Lewis — 341 — Inez Milholland
Lived and buried near here. Astride a white horse, led 1913 Suffrage Parade in Washington DC. Died at age 30 campaigning for women's right to vote. — Map (db m136667) HM
New York (Fulton County), Bleecker — Bleecker Factory Cemetery
Earliest gravestone 1852 Several unmarked/fieldstone Near site of first tannery c. 1840 in Bleecker, NY A.k.a. School District #3 Cemetery — Map (db m131497) HM
New York (Fulton County), Broadalbin — Kennyetto Creek
Named by the Mohawk Indians "snake trying to swallow it's tail." Valuable water source for early Broadabin — Map (db m131457) HM
New York (Fulton County), Caroga Lake — Town of Caroga War MemorialIn Memoriam
The people of the Town of Caroga humbly dedicate this memorial to those veterans, past and present, living or dead, who fought for the freedom of the United States of America. — Map (db m137013) WM
New York (Fulton County), Johnstown — Site of First St John's Church North
Site of First St John's Church (1760) erected by Sir William Johnson; first Church of England North of the Mohawk River — Map (db m50747) HM
New York (Fulton County), Lassellsville — Lassellsville
On this corner once stood a tavern, store, blacksmith shop, wagon factory, built by William Lassell who purchased 50 acres in 1805. — Map (db m136704) HM
New York (Fulton County), Oppenheim — Old State Road
Built, 1803 by N.Y. State Over this road in 1814 Gen. Izard with 4,000 men marched to Sacketts Harbor in the War of 1812. — Map (db m136707) HM
New York (Fulton County), Oppenheim — Robert Higbie House
Home of Robert Higbie, first town supervisor, Oppenheim, following the creation of Fulton County. First town meeting held here Apr. 1838 — Map (db m136950) HM
New York (Greene County), Cairo — Bell Factory
of William Barton, earliest American maker of sleigh bells stood on this stream 1828 — Map (db m131394) HM
New York (Greene County), Cairo — 348 — Town of Cairo
Created March 26, 1803 from Towns of Catskill, Coxsackie and Freehold. Originally named Canton. Became Cairo April 6,1808 — Map (db m129485) HM
New York (Greene County), Catskill — Catskill Walking TourBeattie-Powers Place
James Powers (1782-1868) was a life-long resident of the Village of Catskill, where he lived as a prosperous lawyer, land developer, and gentleman farmer. He served as eighth president of the village and as state senator (1836-39). His . . . — Map (db m130578) HM
New York (Greene County), Catskill — Wanatonka Island
Henry Hudson and his ship the Half Moon, stopped here in 1609 — Map (db m130547) HM
New York (Greene County), Coxsackie — Honor Roll"That Liberty Justice and Equity Might Not Perish"
In memory of the the boys from Coxsackie, N.Y. who answered their country's call in the World War. — Map (db m131131) WM
New York (Greene County), Greenville — Early Sawmill
Owned and operated by Eleazer Knowles stood on this site — Map (db m129488) HM
New York (Greene County), Greenville — First School
Cabin built of logs stood on this site. First teacher was a son of Rev. Beriah Hotchkin — Map (db m131669) HM
New York (Greene County), Leeds — World War II Memorial

Of the men and women of Leeds who served in the armed forces in World War II. [names not transcribed] — Map (db m130544) WM

New York (Hamilton County), Speculator — Gene Tunney Park
Gene Tunney enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps from high school and served in France during World War I. While there, he boxed in military tournaments as a marine for the entertainment of the American troops. At the end of the war, he returned . . . — Map (db m137056) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Frankfurt — Balloon Farm
Carlotta and Carl Myers invented and manufactured balloons here in the 1880's. Their balloon ascensions were attractions at fairs. — Map (db m137291) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Little Falls — The World's Best CheddarHerkimer County Cheese
In the years after the Civil War, nearly half of all the cheese made in America came from New York State. The best came from Herkimer County cows that grazed on the limestone rich pastures of this region. Local cheese-makers were able to capture . . . — Map (db m131222) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Little Falls — Window on the Past
Main Street has always been the place to go in Little Falls for the necessities of life whether it’s something for the home, something to eat, or something to wear. Look east on Main Street from this sign(on your right) and you can still see the . . . — Map (db m131128) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Middleville — Fenner Farm
Deed 1788 to "Major” Daniel Fenner of Adams, Mass.; wife Lydia Arnold. Later owners, George Fenner, Anson Fenner, Charlotte (Fenner) Arnold. — Map (db m136718) HM
New York (Herkimer County), Middleville — Veterans Memorial in Middleville
In memory of all who have served our Country — Map (db m137090) WM
New York (Herkimer County), Salisbury Center — Town of Salisbury War Memorial
Dedicated to the men and women of the Town of Salisbury who served their in war and in loving memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice. — Map (db m136750) WM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Highland ParkCity Views, Country Views
Visitors standing atop the 46-foot tall pavilion that once stood on this site could admire views of both downtown Rochester and the Bristol Hills. The high point of Highland Park was crowned by the Children's Pavilion, a round two- . . . — Map (db m137322) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rochester — Rochester Water WorksHighland Reservoir — Celebrating 125 Years of Pure Wholesome Water 1876-2001 —
This plaque is dedicated to the original founders of the Rochester Water Works, and the hundreds of succeeding Water Bureau employees who have carried on the design, construction, operation, and maintenance of the City's water supply . . . — Map (db m137308) HM
New York (Monroe County), Rush — Rush Civil War MonumentApril 12, 1961 - May 9, 1865
( top photo) Jacob Stull Galentine (1835-1905) enlisted with the New York 136th Volunteers at age 28. He was born and grew up in Rush, the son of John and Isabella Stull Galentine. This 1888 photograph was taken at the NY 126th monument . . . — Map (db m142360) WM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — 1964 Bell UH-1D Iroquois “Huey”
The most widely used military helicopter, the Bell UH-1 series Iroquois, better known as the “Huey,” began arriving in Vietnam in 1963. Before the end of the conflict, more than 5,000 of these versatile aircraft were introduced into . . . — Map (db m141049) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — 5th Ward War Memorial
To perpetuate the names of those members of the community who served in the armed forces of our Country during World War II 1941-1945 In Memoriam Andrew Zepetelli Anthony Petitti Edward Meyers John Lenahan Harold . . . — Map (db m137348) WM
New York (Montgomery County), Amsterdam — Old Manny Inn
Was on lot 8, sub-division of lot 1 of the 13th patent. Sold to Gabriel Manny 1804. Came into possession of Ross family in 1839. — Map (db m130787) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Canajoharie — Canajoharie/Canalway Trail/Pathway Through Mountains
The Town and Village of Canajoharie take their name from the ancient Mohawk village that was once located in this area. Known by many as"the Boiling Pot", the name accurately translated as "The Pot That Washes Itself" or "The Clean Pot." All of . . . — Map (db m130996) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Canajoharie — Christopher P. Yates
Site of home of Christopher P. Yates, Montgomery County delegate to Constitutional Ratification Convention at Poughkeepsie 17 June - 26 July 1788 — Map (db m130959) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Canajoharie — Shaper Quarry1829 - 150th Anniversary - 1979
Furnished stone for the Brooklyn Bridge shipped to New York via the Erie Canal — Map (db m130956) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Charleston Corners — Town of Charleston
Formed March 12, 1793, one of the oldest towns in Montgomery County. Named for Charles Van Epps, an early settler. — Map (db m139068) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fonda — Montgomery County Korean War Veterans Monument
We, the Montgomery County Veterans of the Korean War, along with our friends and neighbors, erect the memorial in memory of our fellow comrades who gave their lives during the Korean War June 25, 1950 to July 27, 1953. With temperatures of -30° . . . — Map (db m137600) WM
New York (Montgomery County), Fonda — Wemple Tavern
Erected 1780 by "Peggy" Wemple, Revolutionary heroine — Map (db m131371) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fort Plain — Army Camp
Of Gen. Van Rensselaer's American Army, Oct. 19, 1780. Also site of Palatine Church 1770 — Map (db m137537) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fort Plain — Henry Seeber
Grave of Henry Seeber, pioneer, patriot & Revolutionary soldier — Map (db m130962) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Fultonville — Fultonville Union Free High School
Front 1884 - Original School was built on this land donated by John H. Starin. 1899 -First Class new Regents system. Jan 8, 1923 - Destroyed by fire. Back 1924 - School built to replace original destroyed by fire. 1953 . . . — Map (db m131480) HM
New York (Montgomery County), Palatine Bridge — Keator's Rift
Here was the most dangerous naviable rapid in the Mohawk River. Before the canal, boatmen would cooperate going upriver — Map (db m131434) HM
New York (Oneida County), Utica — Governor Horatio Seymour
The grave of Governor Horatio Seymour Born 1810 died 1886. Governor of New York 1853 to 1855 and 1863 to 1865. Presidential candidate in 1868. — Map (db m141344) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Elbridge — Doman House
First electrically lighted house in Onondaga County. Brothers Lewis B., 20, Albert E., 17 and George D., 14, built generator to provide power to home in 1887. — Map (db m139635) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Elbridge — Elbridge
Congregational Church First church in area organized in 1800. Church building 1824 Elbridge Community Church 1945 — Map (db m139575) HM
New York (Onondaga County), Elbridge — Munro Collegiate Institute
Site of the Munro Collegiate Institute private secondary school Nathan Munro, founder, 1835. Relocated to this site 1854, closed 1901. — Map (db m139572) HM
New York (Ontario County), Canandaigua — Austin StewardMan of Integrity 1793 - February 15, 1869
1793 - Born a slave in Prince William County, Virginia and brought to Sodus and Bath, New York where he self emancipated by flight. With the assistance from the Quaker community he gained legal freedom to become a great abolitionist, . . . — Map (db m142211) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Averill Park — Sand Lake Veterans Memorial Park
Dedicated to those common men and women who proudly served our country with uncommon valor — Map (db m137076) WM
New York (Rensselaer County), Castleton-on-Hudson — Hans Van Buren
Built this gambrel-roofed Dutch house in 1763 on 1,200 acres of leased patroon land. Descendants resided here until 1924. — Map (db m132605) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Grafton — Grafton Inn
1795 Built by 1st settler Abel Owen 1830 Lemuel Steward moved house to this location by 16 yoke of oxen 1923 Moon’s Mountain Top House-Inn 1987 Grafton Inn Bed & Breakfast — Map (db m137019) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), North Hoosick — St. Croix Church
St. Croix Church Near here is site Dutch Reform Church the First Protestant Church in Hoosick Valley on lot of A. Wendell in Hoosac Pat. — Map (db m141046) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Stephentown — Stephentown War Memorial
In memory of all who served from Stephentown (names not transcribed)Map (db m135293) WM
New York (Rensselaer County), Troy — Julia Howard Bush Memorial Center
The "Front Door” of the Russell Sage College Campus, Julia Howard Bush Memorial Center is a prominent and nationally significant Greek Revival building constructed in 1836 by architect James Harrison Dakin. Built as the First Presbyterian . . . — Map (db m135115) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Troy — Rensselaer County Spanish-American War MemorialFreedom Patriotism Humanity
Erected by the County of Rensselaer commemorating the valor and patriotism of the men of this county who served in the war with Spain, Philippine Insurrection and China Relief Expedition 1898 - 1902. — Map (db m135210) WM
New York (Rensselaer County), Valley Falls — Julia Blanche S. Clum1867-1919
One of the founders of Rensselaer County's first political equality club and a leader for woman suffrage. — Map (db m132505) HM
New York (Rensselaer County), Wynantskill — First Reformed Churchof Wynantskill
Oldest church edifice in Rensselaer County. Erected 1793 — Map (db m135075) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Angus McDearmid
Banished from Scotland. British and Indians visited on eve of 1780 invasion. Angus saw demon apparition, hence Devil’s Lane - 1786. — Map (db m127421) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Edmund Jennings
Built log cabin here 1775. Revolutionary War patriot fought at Bemis Heights Brick front built c. 1820 Later owned by Robert Speir. — Map (db m127404) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston — Pioneer Farm
Built c. 1780 on edge of deep forest. Owned by John & Lucy Tibbets. Often visited by Indians. Later abandoned & used for potato storage. — Map (db m129239) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Lake — 554 — Kayaderosseras
Vast land patent issued 1708 by Queen Anne included this area. Boundary dispute with Iroquois Nation resolved 1768. Settlement began nearby 1771. — Map (db m135376) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Colonial Inn
This building erected in 1797 was for many years a public tavern — Map (db m127040) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Ballston Spa — Home of Jonathan Filer
Partially burned in Ballston invasion of 1780. Braided Indian torch found here. Family escaped and hid nearby. — Map (db m128984) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Charlton
Est. 1792 Historic District Boundary William Clark settled here 1786 — Map (db m126740) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — Harmony Corners
School District #9 - 1865-1962 Harmony Hall built 1892 by Patrons of Industry Farmers Club organized 1903 Harmony Community Center 1989 — Map (db m126929) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Charlton — John W. Taylor
Birthplace of John W. Taylor Mar. 1784 -Sept. 1854 Twice Speaker -U.S. House of Representatives N.Y. Senator-Assemblyman. — Map (db m126728) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Church, c. 1788
Site of Grooms Church. Mother of Methodist Churches in area. 3rd bldg on site built 1834. Used until 1960, burned 1975. — Map (db m136455) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Clifton Park Center
Area named to distinguish it from Clifton Park Village. Geographical center of town. — Map (db m136452) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Clifton Park Village HotelStevens’ Tavern
Constructed circa 1821 by Ephraim Stevens. 1859 owned by Isaac Rogers. — Map (db m127318) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Clifton Park — Hotel Site
Site of hotel built byJames Jones, c. 1820 destroyed by fire in 1915.Stage coach stop on plank road - Waterford Turnpike — Map (db m129004) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Corinth — In Memory
"In memory of those who have fallen so that we may be free" — Map (db m131752) WM
New York (Saratoga County), Edinburg — Beecher Hollow
Historic hamlet settled in 1790's along the banks of Beecher Creek — Map (db m136286) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Galway — Old Baptist Meeting House
Site of old Baptist meeting house and cemetery. First town meeting held here April 5, 1796. First supervisor - Stephen Wait — Map (db m131065) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Gansevoort — Youth Park
Bertha E. Smith Youth Park deeded to the town of Northumberland in 1976 for perpetual use as recreation of youth in the township. — Map (db m133979) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Hadley — Old Road
Leading to Congregational Church, Beecher Hollow Cemetery, and Batchellerville covered bridge. These sites are now underwater. — Map (db m136289) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Crescent Aqueduct
These stone remnants mark the northern end of the aqueduct which carried the Erie Canal over the Mohawk River between 1825 to 1915 — Map (db m129628) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Halfmoon
Originally called Middletown, this hamlet was the site of the first post office in the town. — Map (db m139008) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Halfmoon — Spice Factory
Established in 1859 by Joshua Anthony produced baking powder. Spice grinding and extracts operated until 1920 — Map (db m125354) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Mosherville — A Plow Factory
The Mosher Furnace, Galway home of the Mosher Plow produced from 1847 to 1926. Powered by waterwheel. Frank Fonda ran gen. store. — Map (db m131062) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Country Club Acres, 1957
Clifton Park's first residential development. Begun by Robert Van Patten, (1919-1990) — Map (db m125360) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Rexford — Southard House
C. 1845 Greek Revival home of Jonas (1802-1878) and Elsie Demarest Southard. Later owned by Rexford Hotel owner John McLane. — Map (db m126239) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — High Rock in the 1800’s
In the 1800's thousands of people visited Saratoga Springs to drink the healing waters. In 1848 The Clarke and White Spring Water Company was the first to commercially bottle High Rock water. They purchased the spring and erected a circular brick . . . — Map (db m131583) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Saratoga Springs — Winans-Crippen House- 1871
On this site stood the Winans-Crippen House. Prominent local architect J. D. Stevens, who also designed the. United States Hotel and the Grand Central Hotel on Broadway, designed the freestanding wood-framed townhouse in the Second Empire style in . . . — Map (db m131743) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Schuylerville — General Stark
General Stark held this position to prevent British retreat to north. — Map (db m129631) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Schuylerville — USS Saratoga: Turning point in America’s second war with England
After the American victory in 1777, the name Saratoga became linked to a developing shared American identity. The second war ship christened the U.S.S. Saratoga was a 26-gun corvette built in the spring of 1814 on Lake Champlain for use . . . — Map (db m138759) HM
New York (Saratoga County), Stillwater — Yellow Meeting House
Built 1764 at Stillwater. Later removed to this spot. First congregational church in northern New York. — Map (db m133867) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Alplaus — Stevens House 1693
Built by Jonathan Stevens, Indian interpreter at Ael Plaets (Eel Place) — Map (db m135688) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Cement Mill
Here, 1825-45, stood the kiln and mill of John Van Eps & Sons, making the first hydraulic cement in this part of the state — Map (db m130684) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Van Vleck Home
Here, about 1770, Harmanus Van Vleck cleared a tract and built his house in the dense forest, yet haunt of the wolf, bear, and panther — Map (db m127352) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Glenville — Vedder Tavern
Built by Schermerhorn family in 1676 and 1769 on east end of seventh flat. For many years kept as a tavern by Albert Vedder. — Map (db m130349) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — 1418 Union
Home of Harriet Leonard Colburn. First Regent 1911 of Schenectady Chapter NSDAR. Suffragist, musician, leader of civic organizations. — Map (db m135613) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — ca 1850
First Schenectady home of Dr. Charles Proteus Steinmetz — Map (db m130186) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — GE Realty Plot
E.K Rossiter, T.H. Ellet, W.T.B. Mynderse, and A.J. Russell were among the major architects who designed houses here. — Map (db m125443) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — The King’s Highway
First road between Albany and Schenectady c. 1663. — Map (db m127553) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — The King's Highway
Westward expansion from Hudson Valley started on this road. — Map (db m138055) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Schenectady — The RS-3 Diesel-Electric Locomotive
This is an RS-3 diesel-electric locomotive built by Alco in Schenectady as 1 of 1,370 RS-3's from May 1950 through August 1956. This locomotive was designed and used as [a] road switcher. The RS-3 is powered by a 1,600 horsepower twelve . . . — Map (db m135001) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Scotia — Abraham Glen House 1730
Built by Abraham Glen where King's Highway left Mohawk River — Map (db m130329) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Scotia — Glen-Sanders House, 1713
Glen Sanders house, 1713. Built by Capt. Johannes Glen partly of materials in first Mohawk Valley house built by Alexander Glen, 1655. — Map (db m128755) HM
New York (Schenectady County), Scotia — Pre-Columbian Cemetery
One-half mile north is a burial place of the mound builders, once occupants of the Mohawk Valley — Map (db m129705) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Cobleskill — Warnerville Union Literary Seminary
Erected in 1853. One of six early seminaries in Schoharie County — Map (db m130238) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Jefferson — Village Green
Stephen Judd in 1817 gave the deed to 108 rods of land to be used as a general training ground and lands for the academy. — Map (db m137597) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Middleburgh — 1st Reformed ChurchSite of
Built 1732. Burned Oct. 17, 1780 by Brant and Johnson — Map (db m130286) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Middleburgh — Stone Store
Site of Stone Store. Land purchased by Thomas Danforth from a Livingston. The store built in 1833 was in operation from 1840 to 1930 when a dance hall was added to building. Torn down in 1970. — Map (db m131403) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Middleburgh — The Timothy Murphy TrailHistoric New York
Timothy Murphy was Schoharie County's Revolutionary hero. Owner of one of the first double-barreled rifles, he was a sharpshooter known to the Indians as the magic man whose gun would shoot without reloading. As a member of Morgan's Rifles, Murphy . . . — Map (db m130215) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Middleburgh — Vroman's Land
Patent granted Aug. 1714. Many minor engagements early in the Revolution took place near this mountain, Onistagraw. — Map (db m130252) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Middleburgh — Weiser's Dorf
First Settlement in Schoharie County founded 1712-13 by John Weiser as a home for Palatines — Map (db m130258) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Schoharie — Evangelical Lutheran Church
Built 1853. First communion, August 1854. Tangible evidence of faith passed through the ages. — Map (db m131414) HM
New York (Schoharie County), Sharon Springs — Historic Main Street Tour
Congress Hall was a magnificent hotel built by H.G. Bang around 1860 to rival the successful Pavilion Hotel and sulphur baths. Although not adjoined, the hotel was part of his beautiful park, Magnesia Temple and bathhouses that surrounded John . . . — Map (db m131039) HM
New York (Schuyler County), Hector — Con-Daw-Haw
Site of Iroquois village consisting of cornfields long house & cabins destroyed Sept. 4, 1779, by Gen. Sullivan's troops. — Map (db m133681) HM
New York (Tioga County), Newark Valley — Maple Tree
Maple Tree By tradition on this site was a blazed maple tree in 1786 spared when an indian trail was widened into wagon road. Town of Newark Valley — Map (db m141713) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Former Residence
General Henry Martyn Robert, Parliamentarian Resided here while writing Robert's Rules of Order revised, published 1915 — Map (db m141762) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Former Residence
Father and son John M. Parker 1805-1873 Justice Supreme Court 1859-1873 Charles E. Parker 1836-1909 Justice Supreme Court 1887-1907 — Map (db m141808) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Native American Roots
Jesse McQuigg made the following statement in 1851 when he witnessed Native Americans passing from the headwaters of the Susquehanna River at Otsego Lake on their way to Tioga Point, Chenango Point or Cayuga Lake around 1790 when he was just a boy. . . . — Map (db m141839) HM
New York (Tioga County), Owego — Owego & Ithaca Turnpike
Incorporated 1807 Giving northern settlement access to markets of Pennsylvania & Maryland. — Map (db m141725) HM
New York (Ulster County), Saugerties — Flatbush Reformed Churchof Saugerties N.Y.
Organized June 9, 1807. Building erected 1808. — Map (db m132628) HM
New York (Ulster County), Saugerties — Lutheran Church
Organized in 1710 by the Palatines. First pastor Rev. Joshua Kocherthal. First church site near present church. — Map (db m129482) HM
New York (Ulster County), Saugerties — Schoonmaker Homestead
Elder Katsbaan Church, member of General Committee of Articles of Association. Occupied continuously by descendants. Pre-Revolutionary House — Map (db m129462) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake Luzerne — Jessup's Patent
4100 Acres granted by the Crown to Edward and Ebenezer Jessup 1767. Site of their lavish homes. Loyalist during the Rev. War, joined Gen. Burgoyne and fled to Canada — Map (db m131735) HM
New York (Warren County), Lake Luzerne — St. Mary’s Church
Incorporated April 30,1865. Cornerstone laid Aug. 25, 1874. First service held June 1875. Architect: Jacob Wray Mould. Civil War Memorial window. — Map (db m131689) HM WM
New York (Washington County), Battenville — Battenville
Early home of Susan B. Anthony 1832-1839 — Map (db m131660) HM
New York (Washington County), Fort Edward — Jane McCreaFort Edward, NY — July 27th, 1777 —
Jane McCrea was a Fort Edward area resident in 1777 during the Saratoga Campaign. With the approach of the British army, Jane’s brother, Colonel John McCrea a supporter of the Patriot cause, evacuated his farm on the West bank of the Hudson River, . . . — Map (db m134108) HM
New York (Washington County), Greenwich — Underground Railroad Stops in Union VillageThe Abolition Movement and Underground Railroad — Greenwich, New York —
Greenwich, known as Union Village from 1809 to 1867, played a significant role in the history of the Anti-Slave Movement and the Underground Railroad. Many families in Union Village and surrounding area provided a safe haven for slaves heading . . . — Map (db m132645) HM
New York (Washington County), Salem — Revolutionary Cemetery
More Revolutionary soldiers are buried here than in any other cemetery in Washington County — Map (db m58530) HM
New York (Wayne County), Lyons — Honor Roll
World War I Rudolph Cataldi Bert Collins Robert Guenthner Irving Martin Elmer Pflug Frank Schlieman Edward Walsh World War II Marl Blanch Michael Cassavino William Hess Loius Justino Albert Kline Norman Lanscaster . . . — Map (db m132027) WM
New York (Westchester County), Port Chester — Port Chester Spanish American War Monument
1896   1902 In Proud Memory Of Port Chester Men Who Volunteered in the War Of Their Country During the War With Spain and in the Phillipines [ north bronze tablet ] Frank M. Berrien • Howard F. Carpenter • Marshall T. Chevers • . . . — Map (db m38221) HM
Ohio (Greene County), Cedarville — Cedarville
Birthplace of U.S. Senator James H. Kyle,“Father” of Labor Day — Map (db m133229) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Bevis — 2 — Bevis"The Darkest of All Nights" — John Hunt Morgan Trail —
In the twilight of July 13, 1863, flames from the New Baltimore bridge lit the northwest sky. Slow-moving columns of dusty cavalrymen approached Bevis crossroads from the shadows Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan's Raiders quietly . . . — Map (db m133650) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Glendale — Welcome to the Cotswald Overlook
This lovely land, acquired by William and Mary J. Burchenal in 1936, was a 360-acre working farm. Black Angus cattle grazed in the pasture below and corn and soybeans were grown in the fields beyond. Across the creek were hay fields and an apple . . . — Map (db m134159) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Mariemont — 27-31 — Mariemont
Ground was broken for Mariemont by Mary M. Emery, the village's founder, on April 23, 1923. This planned community was designed by eminent town planner John Nolen and twenty five of America’s leading architects. As part of the garden city . . . — Map (db m133289) HM
Ohio (Hamilton County), Springdale — 71-31 — Morgan’s Raid Through Springdale
(side 1) In July 1863, Confederate Brigadier-General John Hunt Morgan led a force of 2,000 cavalrymen across southern Ohio. Morgan's force entered Ohio from Indiana. A chase ensued as Union cavalry pursued Morgan's men across twenty Ohio . . . — Map (db m133555) HM
Ohio (Madison County), Mount Sterling — In Memory
Of those who gave their life for our country in the war of 1941-1945. Carl Steward Dewey Woltz James Webb Ernest Grabill Robert R. Keller Walter Neal Claude W. Ramey Randell Wofle Tingle D. Skaggs George W. Wood Donald G. . . . — Map (db m133034) WM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Drake Well
Edwin I. Drake, a former railroad conductor , traveled to Titusville in 1857 to find and produce oil in commercial quantities Partnering with salt well driller and blacksmith "Uncle Billy" Smith, they persevered to strike oil in August 27, 1859 . . . — Map (db m133796) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Ida Tarbell
Ida Tarbell was one of the most famous investigative journalists in American history. She was raised in Titusville during the oil boom. Her father, Franklin Tarbell, was an oil producer and investor. In 1872, she witnessed the destruction of her . . . — Map (db m133624) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Pennzoil & South Penn
The Pennzoil brand comes from a long history of foundings and mergers that date back to 1886 when local men Henry Suhr, Samuel Justus, and Louis Walz founded the Penn Refining Company In 1914, Penn Refining merged with Germania Refining Company, . . . — Map (db m133876) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Quaker State Motor Oil
In 1914, Thomas and Hopewell Phinny of Oil City created Phinny's Quaker State Medium Oil. The Phinnys were granted a trademark for Quaker State in August 1921. Quaker State was financed and marketed by J.B. Berry Brothers of Oil City. The . . . — Map (db m133879) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Tidewater
In 1865, Titusville residents Byron Benson, Robert Hopkins and David McKelvy started a sawmill in Enterprise (located just outside Titusville) to finance their drilling operation; which they named the Enterprise Oil and Lumber Company. In . . . — Map (db m134082) HM
Pennsylvania (Crawford County), Titusville — Wolf's Head Oils and Lubes
In 1879, A.L. Confer constructed a refining still 18 miles from here in Reno, PA called the Empire Oil Works. He recognized a need for a better illuminating oil and used carefully controlled temperatures to create a high-quality kerosene. In . . . — Map (db m133887) HM
Pennsylvania (Venango County), Titusville — Samuel Van Syckel
This plaque is dedicated to the memory of Samuel Van Syckel whose inventive mind and business ability planned and built the first successful oil pipeline in the world in September, 1865, from Pithole to Miller Farm, PA. Thus was set in motion a . . . — Map (db m133595) HM
Vermont (Addison County), Middlebury — Town & Gown
The Shire Town Middlebury was chartered in 1761 as one of New Hampshire Governor Benning Wentworth’s land grants. The first settlers claimed land in the town in 1766, but were forced back to southern New England during the Revolutionary War. . . . — Map (db m136535) HM
Vermont (Bennington County), Rupert — Town of Rupert World War II MemorialRoll of Honor — 1941-1945 —
Citizens of Town of Rupert, Vermont who served their country in World War II David S.Cramer, John Rafter denoted as having died in service. further names were not transcribedMap (db m138811) WM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Danville — Danville Veterans Memorial
. . . — Map (db m140328) WM
Vermont (Caledonia County), Lyndon — Lyndon Veterans Memorial
Dedicated To All Lyndon Area Men & Women Who Served Our Nation In Protection Of Our Freedom — Map (db m140714) WM
Vermont (Rutland County), Brandon — Stephen A. Douglas
(side 1) Teacher Lawyer Orator Statesman United States Senator from Illinois 1847 to 1861 Democratic candidate for President of United States against Abraham Lincoln. Loyal supporter of Lincoln and the Union in the early days . . . — Map (db m136876) HM
Vermont (Rutland County), Wallingford — Ralph H. Pickett Veterans Memorial Park
To honor the memory and sacrifices of all those veterans who served their country and defended liberty. This Memorial is dedicated to honor the men and women of our military services who courageously served our country and to recognize . . . — Map (db m136761) WM

1221 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 601 through 801 were listed. Previous 200 Next 421
Paid Advertisement