This rock marks the beginning of the Old Military Trail first used in the summer of 1840 by troops from Fort Crawford in Wisconsin when building Fort Atkinson in Iowa. It served as a highway for the movement of troops and supplies from Fort Crawford . . . — — Map (db m44190) HM
"Royal is my race," was the motto of Clan MacGregor of which McGregor's founder, Alexander MacGregor, was a descendant. It was 1837 when Alexander began a ferry boat operation on "MacGregor's Landing" that became a thriving town of . . . — — Map (db m44758) HM
The Mississippi River was an obstacle to overland travelers attempting to cross to the other side. From1855 to 1884 a flat bottomed cable ferry was maintained between Anoka and Champlin. For a time two ferry companies operated at this . . . — — Map (db m70875) HM
The Rum and the Mississippi were highways for the earliest recorded European explorers of Minnesota. Many explorers traveled past The Point and some may have camped here including Radission, Hennepin, Du Luth, Pike, Faribault and Nicollet.
. . . — — Map (db m70569) HM
The white pine forests fell to the logger's ax in the northern Rum River pineries, "Seventy mills in seventy years could not exhaust the white pine I have seen on the Rum River" predicted Daniel Stanchfield, a lumber-wise timber cruiser . . . — — Map (db m70937) HM
The town gained a new venue for public events in 1873 with the opening of Arbeiter Hall. The local Arbeiterverein, or Workers' Association, organized in 1871, primarily as a workers' insurance association. The two-story brick building had a . . . — — Map (db m67093) HM
Rosa Schnobrich opened the City Meat Market in 1907 with the advertising slogan, "Better Meats, Cleaner Meats, and Quicker Service." Her sausages, in particular, proved popular, and soon her shop began supplying a network of wholesale dealers . . . — — Map (db m68267) HM
Frank Erd and his wife, Louise, came to New Ulm from Cincinnati. Frank, whose father was an architect, erected a substantial store, one of the few brick buildings in the city. The Brown County supervisors kept their offices in Erd's building, . . . — — Map (db m66897) HM
By the end of the fighting in New Ulm, the U.S.—Dakota War of 1862 had taken a heavy toll on the town. More than 50 settlers had been killed and 36 wounded, along with an unknown number of Dakota. In addition, at least 190 of the . . . — — Map (db m74136) HM
On this site in 1859 Frederick Roebbecke built a seventy foot high wooden windmill for grinding corn and grain. Situated on a prominent ridge, it commanded an excellent view of the scattered settlement. Barricaded with sacks of flour and grain, the . . . — — Map (db m65400) HM
This neighborhood dates back to the early days of New Ulm. Oral history suggests the borders shown above. The origin of the name “The Wallachei” is obscure. The most likely translation is “low land horse pasture.” Or, legend . . . — — Map (db m65396) HM
This is the oldest Methodist Church building in continuous use in Minnesota. Methodist circuit riders of the Sunrise Mission served the Taylors Falls area 1852-59. On March 27, 1859, the Rev. Sias Bolles organized the Taylors Falls Methodist . . . — — Map (db m44571) HM
Dedicated to Those Who Have Made the
Ultimate Sacrifice for Their Country
World War I
United States Army
Pvt Lucking George J
Pvt Nelson William G E
1Lt Russell Thomas Lyle
World War II
United States . . . — — Map (db m78480) WM
Here on the Mendota Trail from 1839 to 1852 stood the Sioux village of the Little Crow family. An attempted Chippewa attack in 1842 precipitated the Battle of Kaposia across the river. After the Treaty of Mendota in 1851 the band moved up the . . . — — Map (db m31186) HM
In the 1857 town plat of Frontenac (then called Westervelt), Wakondiota Park was designated as two blocks long, one block wide, and located at what is now the Christ Episcopal Church site. When the town was renamed in 1859, the park was moved one . . . — — Map (db m47877) HM
During the great ice ages the landscape of Minnesota was profoundly altered by continental glaciers in four major epochs of glaciation. In this area, as elsewhere, the closing stage of each epoch was characterized by the release of floods of . . . — — Map (db m45869) HM
On July 13, 1890 the steamer Sea Wing, heavily loaded with 215 passengers and crew, left the steamboat landing here for a Sunday excursion down the Mississippi River to Lake City.
The Sea Wing, based in Diamond Bluff, Wisconsin, . . . — — Map (db m49445) HM
The Bloomington Town Hall was built twenty feet from this site in 1892 on land given to the Township by the Baillif family. The building was moved to the current location in the 1930's in the first of a number of remodelings the building has . . . — — Map (db m15357) HM
Minnehaha Grange No. 398 was organized on December 12, 1873. Its members came from Edina Mills, Richfield Mills, St. Louis Park and the surrounding area.
At first, the Grange met in the homes of its members. Then in . . . — — Map (db m55450) HM
When Europeans first saw the falls, the crest was well below Hennepin Island. Natural erosion caused the line of the falls to move steadily upriver at about four feet a year. By the 1850s, the cataract was approaching the upper limit of the . . . — — Map (db m28025) HM
By 1860 St. Anthony had become a favorite summer resort for wealthy southerners who traveled on steamboats up the Mississippi. Often they and their black slaves stayed at the Winslow House. One such slave was Eliza Winston. Slavery was illegal in . . . — — Map (db m42714) HM
Nicollet Island bears the name of a French scholar and scientist who explored the headwaters of the Mississippi for the US government in 1836. Accompanied by some Ojibway friends and two hired voyageurs, Joseph Nicollet camped by the falls for . . . — — Map (db m38455) HM
Built in 1848, the Ard Godfrey House is the earliest frame house still standing in Minneapolis. An example of Greek Revival architecture, it originally occupied a site in the vicinity of Main and Second Streets Southeast.
Ard Godfrey, a . . . — — Map (db m37774) HM
Dedicated to the victims
who lost their lives
in the terrorist attacks
on September 11, 2001
"Terrorist attacks can
shake the foundations
of our biggest buildings,
but they cannot touch
the foundation of America." . . . — — Map (db m59394) HM
He served with distinction in the Indian wars of the old northwest border and in the War of 1812. In August, 1820, he assumed command of the Fifth United States Infantry at Camp Coldwater on the site of Fort Snelling. Selecting . . . — — Map (db m17240) HM
This historical ground was a pivotal place in the development of the Northwest. With the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861, Fort Snelling expanded its limestone walls into this area, formerly a part of the U.S. Indian Agency and the location of the . . . — — Map (db m42180) HM
This memorial honors the sixteen hundred Dakota people, many of them women and children, who were imprisoned here at Fort Snelling in the aftermath of the 1862 U.S.-Dakota Conflict. Frightened, uprooted, and uncertain of the fate of their missing . . . — — Map (db m50817) HM
When Daniel Delaney and a man named McLeod camped on the shores of the lake in 1855, they became the first white men of record to visit the area. John Masters, a land developer who came in 1856, gave the body of water its name.
Diamond . . . — — Map (db m76925) HM
On August 16, 1885 thirty people met at the home of Erik and Anette Larsen located in Section 26 of Fahlun Township and under the direction of Rev. A.N. Kleven, a new Lutheran congregation was organized by the name of "Tromso Lutheran Church," . . . — — Map (db m78263) HM
This historical inclosure and all of its adornments constitute a memorial to Victor E. Lawson (1871–1960) the pioneer historian of Kandiyohi County. It has been provided by the Tribune Printing Company, Inc. publishers of the West Central . . . — — Map (db m79397) HM
Until 1868 the rapidly growing Norway Lake settlement had no regular place of worship. In the fall of that year a church of logs was hastily constructed. It would serve as the Norway Lake church until 1875 with Rev. L.J. Markhus as the pastor.
. . . — — Map (db m78357) HM
In the fall of 1856, a party of land speculators, organized by Edwin Whitefield, projected a town site on the west shore of Lake Wakanda. As a real estate agent and artist, Whitefield did much to impress the merits of the Minnesota frontier upon . . . — — Map (db m79336) HM
In Grateful Memory of
Those Who Served in
World War II
1st Lt. Donald I. Booth Born Dec. 8, 1921 Died June 5, 1944
P.F.C. Robert Caswell Born Mar. 13, 1925 Died July 23, 1944
S/Sgt. Edward O. Johnson Born Nov. . . . — — Map (db m78680) WM
This monument marks the site of St. Columban Church and Cemetery. Beginning in 1858, mass and sacraments were celebrated in the homes of the early settlers by Benedictine Monks from St. Cloud friory, who came periodically on horseback. . . . — — Map (db m70775) HM
This marks the spot where the first blood was shed in the Sioux Indian Outbreak Aug. 17, 1862
Victims: Robinson Jones • Ann Baker-Jones • Howard Baker • Viranus Webster • Clara D. Wilson
Bodies of these Victims are buried in Ness . . . — — Map (db m70373) HM WM
In memory of the first five victims of the great Indian massacre of August 1862, and buried here in one grave
Robinson Jones • Viranus Webster • Howard Baker • Ann Baker • Clara D. Wilson
Erected by the State in 1878 . . . — — Map (db m70407) HM WM
A Minority in Their Homeland
For generations, the land stretching out around you was the homeland of the Dakota Indians. Through treaties in 1851, the Dakota sold all of their land in southern Minnesota. The treaties disregarded Dakota . . . — — Map (db m71126) HM
Erected by the State of Minnesota in recognition of, and to commemorate the loyal and efficient services rendered to the State by Chief Mou-Zoo-Mau-Nee and the Chippewa Indians during the Sioux out-break and the civil war. — — Map (db m70730) WM
Elden Lawrence writes about a daring rescue led by his great-grandfather, Lorenzo Lawrence:
The Dakota were divided about whether to go to war with the whites. After attempts to avert the fighting proved futile, many Dakota decided to . . . — — Map (db m72934) HM
In memory of the fallen; in recognition
of the living; and for the emulation
of future generations.
Erected A.D. 1896, by the State of Minnesota, to preserve the site of Fort Ridgely, a United States military post established in . . . — — Map (db m70741) HM WM
This original log powder magazine, and another one similar to it, stood across the road in front of you when Fort Ridgely was an active military post. These buildings were used for storing ammunition and unused weapons. During the 1862 battles, a . . . — — Map (db m71726) HM
For centuries animals and people used the solid footing and shallow water at Traverse des Sioux as a natural river crossing.
In time the crossing became a place for people to meet and trade goods. European fur traders were quick to see the . . . — — Map (db m73945) HM
The Reverend Stephen Riggs and his wife, Mary, arrived at Traverse des Sioux in 1843 to establish a Protestant mission for the Dakota.
He and other missionaries believed they had a duty to convert Indians to Christianity. Their efforts . . . — — Map (db m78112) HM
March, 1856 – Traverse des Sioux and St. Peter organized a cemetery Assoc. purchasing 10 acres. Early Missionaries, pioneer, and Civil War Veterans are buried here.
Rev. T. C. Williamson, first Missionary in this area and Rev. Stephen . . . — — Map (db m66414) HM
The signing of the 1851 treaty was the signal for settlers and speculators to rush into the new territory.
Here, between 1852 and 1855, several town sites were laid out for sale. The first outfit to offer land was the Traverse des Sioux . . . — — Map (db m75224) HM
This Monument is erected by The State of Minnesota under an Act of the Legislature Approved April 7th, A. D. 1899 To the Memory of Four Hundred and Eighteen Men Women and Children who perished in the Great Hinckley Forest Fire of September First A. . . . — — Map (db m2802) HM
In 1890, architect Stanford White gave the commission for The New York Life Eagle to Augustus Saint-Gaudens on behalf of The New York Life Insurance Company. Augustus sketched its conceptual form and the sculpture was carved in marble by his brother . . . — — Map (db m41946) HM
Historic Boiling Spring, 250 yards northwest, was long an Indian camping place and later a watering spot on the Fort Snelling–Dakota Road built in the 1850's. The road turned here to pass the spring, then called Big Spring. Settlers renamed it . . . — — Map (db m69605) HM
Richard Warren Sears a 22-year-old Minneapolis and St. Louis Railway agent, first sold a shipment of watches from North Redwood in 1886. His mail-order enterprises eventually grew into Sears, Roebuck and Co., the nation's largest retailer and now a . . . — — Map (db m70526) HM
* Vicksburg was approximately in existence from 1869 until 1878. The small village was located close to the Minnesota River (10 miles south of Renville in Flora Township or a half mile south of this sign). Within the town was a a general store, . . . — — Map (db m68969) HM
This monument was dedicated in 1894 as a testament to U.S. soldiers and civilians who fought and died in the Battle of Birch Coulee. The U.S.–Dakota Conflict of 1862 started when Dakota Indians, frustrated over broken treaty . . . — — Map (db m70848) HM
This land was first tilled in 1867 by Ole Enestvedt and a pair of oxen with a single bottom plow. The early years were hard, back-breaking years as homesteading usually was. In 1900, Ole and Anna's youngest son, Engebret started the . . . — — Map (db m71275) HM
This Sesquicentennial Legacy Plaza, with the sculpture "Harvest" as its centerpiece, commemorates with an enduring presence Northfield's sesquicentennial year 2005.
In 1855, John Wesley North founded the town of Northfield and built a dam and . . . — — Map (db m55167) HM
The Minnesota River Valley was ripe for conflict in 1862. Tensions between the Dakota people and the U.S. government had long been brewing over broken treaty promises and dramatic changes to Dakota traditional lifestyles. Focused on . . . — — Map (db m73545) HM
Duluth-Superior harbor is the westernmost terminus of the St. Lawrence Seaway and the world's most inland seaport. Harbor commerce began when Daniel Greysolon Sieur Du Luht portaged across Minnesota Point in 1679 where the Duluth Aerial Lift Bridge . . . — — Map (db m4827) HM
To the memory of
Bert J. Enger
1864 – 1931
Native of Norway
Citizen of Duluth
From Common Laborer to Merchant Prince, he demonstrated in his own life that America is a land of opportunity for the immigrant, and that her . . . — — Map (db m4807) HM
Perhaps no individual in the history of Duluth had such a dramatic influence on the port's infant development than Jay Cooke, a Philadelphia financier. Cooke's reign at the Head-of-the-Lakes was brief, but all-encompassing for commercial . . . — — Map (db m6379) HM
Honoring Lewis G. Castle
in recognition of his part as a volunteer leader in gaining the seaway and as the administer of the St. Lawrence Seaway Development Corporation.
The seaway, completed in 1959, represented decades of dreams, . . . — — Map (db m2910) HM
A tribute to John Mariucci
Who through the force of his unique personality and determination, laid the foundation for the great U. S. Olympic hockey championships. His belief in the . . . — — Map (db m2872) HM
In the 1950's the Pierce, South Agnew and Morton mines utilized a Marion 1150 Dragline to strip off the glacial till from above the iron ore body. This stripping bucket was on that Hanna Mining Company dragline. Several of the mining companies took . . . — — Map (db m8009) HM
Ten thousand years ago, as the Ice Age was drawing to a close, Wisconsin's fast-flowing Chippewa River carried vast quantities of sand. But where the Chippewa entered the Mississippi, ten miles downstream from here, its current slowed and the . . . — — Map (db m52074) HM
"I decided that if you could ski on snow, you could ski on water." In 1922, after first trying barrel staves, then snow skis, eighteen year old Ralph W. Samuelson succeeded in waterskiing on eight foot long pine boards, steamed in boiling water to . . . — — Map (db m45308) HM
On July 13, 1890, the steamer "Sea Wing", with covered barge alongside, and 215 passengers aboard was returning from a Sunday excursion down the Mississippi River to Lake City. At 8 p.m., Captain D.N. Wethern had guided the steamer 5 miles up Lake . . . — — Map (db m45462) HM
Sawmilling began here on August 24, 1839, when the Marine Lumber Company cut its first pine log.
In the autumn of 1838 two lumbermen from Marine,
Illinois, David Hone and Lewis Judd, arrived in the St. Croix River valley, attracted by it's . . . — — Map (db m51703) HM
The Marine Township Hall was constructed in 1872 as a meeting hall and jail. The building was erected on property donated by Orange Walker. Its construction was financed by Morgan May who took the town's bonds for the necessary $2,000. Members of . . . — — Map (db m45939) HM
This was the site of the
Stillwater High School from 1887 - 1994.
The Stillwater Veterans Memorial was built on this historic site and dedicated on Memorial Day 2004. The plaques on the Wall of Honor spire list the names of veterans who . . . — — Map (db m72045) HM
In 1849, the Governor of the new Territory of Minnesota, Alexander Ramsey, urged the Territorial Legislature to provide for a "proper and safe place of confinement" for prisoners of the territory. Because of Ramsey's request, the Legislature . . . — — Map (db m43747) HM
A courageous soldier and member of Ethan Allen’s immortal band of 83, who took part in the surprise attack on the British garrison at Fort Ticonderoga, and the only Revolutionary soldier known to be buried in the State of Minnesota.
. . . — — Map (db m56101) HM
Norbeck Wildlife Preserve
Created by Act of Congress, 1949
Peter Norbeck 1870 – 1936
Well driller, Statesman, first native Governor of South Dakota, U.S. Senator, founder of Custer State Park, sponsor of Mount Rushmore . . . — — Map (db m4395) HM
Vince Lombardi directed the Green Bay Packers to five NFL championships in seven years (1961-62, 1965-66-67) – a feat without parallel in pro football history. His 1966 and '67 teams also won the first two Super Bowls. Lombardi forged an . . . — — Map (db m77461) HM
Edson Union Cemetery was dedicated in 1887 by Maria and Edson Chubb, as a memorial to their only child Joseph. Buried here are Civil War veterans, victims of the 1880 diphtheria epidemic, and soldiers of the Spanish and American War.
Edson . . . — — Map (db m42597) HM
The Bear Den Road Bridge was an example of a Pratt bridge construction, which was a design used in Wisconsin from 1895-1910. The Milwaukee Bridge and Iron Company fabricated the bridge, and it was moved to this site in 1940. The original site and . . . — — Map (db m43065) HM
The building to your right is the oldest commercial building in Chippewa Falls. It was built (Circa 1859) by Peter Morie (Morey) and was used originally as a Saloon and Boarding House for lumberjacks and others. In 1861 at the start of the Civil . . . — — Map (db m55299) HM
He gave his life to the Jaycees and to his community, in the belief that service to humanity is the best work of life. We shall not forget...
Ronald P. Anders Memorial Pure Water Fountain was constructed by the Chippewa Falls Jaycees and . . . — — Map (db m41525) HM
The City of Chippewa Falls was organized around two moving bodies of water, the Chippewa River and its tributary Duncan Creek. Bridges soon became necessary with rapid expansion of the transportation system in the late 19th and early . . . — — Map (db m38806) HM
This is the former site of a dam, a grindstone and an electrical power plant, locally known as "Stanley's Mill." It was also used as a log sluiceway and popular recreation area. First used on December 26, 1877, the electrical plant furnished power . . . — — Map (db m48998) HM
All Gave Some
Some Gave All
This memorial is dedicated to our Loyal area veterans of the past and present for their bravery, service, and sacrifice in times of peace and war while protecting the principles of our United States of America. . . . — — Map (db m49534) HM
has been placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Henry Morgenthau Jr
Secretary of the Treasury . . . — — Map (db m47630) HM
Merrimac’s first permanent settler, Chester Mattson, obtained a territorial charter in 1848 to provide ferry service across the Wisconsin River. The State Legislature of 1851 authorized a road, subsequently to become State Trunk Highway 113, to . . . — — Map (db m1932) HM
In 1848, New York native and Milwaukee merchant, John S. Pardee hired agents to oversee his Fox River land holdings and to establish business operations from this location. Yates Ashley, the most notable of Pardee's . . . — — Map (db m22896) HM
Wisconsin has a unique heritage as the birthplace of circuses. More than a hundred had their beginnings in Wisconsin, with Delavan providing winter-quarters for twenty-six between 1847 and 1894. New York brothers Edmund and Jeremiah Mabie brought . . . — — Map (db m41793) HM
Major Elbert Dickason founded Wyocena in 1843. He platted and named the village in 1846. He was instrumental in Wyocena being temporarily named the county seat. He died in 1848 and is buried in the Wyocena Cemetery.
Erhardt . . . — — Map (db m37115) HM
In the spring of 2003, after the old bridge on Hwy 171 over the Kickapoo River was replaced with this new one, Cliff Swallows started breeding under the concrete structure. Cliff Swallows are one of 6 species of swallows breeding in Wisconsin. . . . — — Map (db m40391) HM
In the year 1847 James B. Gay, a civil engineer and native of Indiana, journeyed to the unsettled Kickapoo Valley. Here he was impressed by acres of untouched forest which covered the hills and valleys. Finding a good rock bottom in the river and . . . — — Map (db m40057) HM
700 Sac Indians July 31,
1200 Soldiers Aug. 1, 1832
followed this ridge west
into Vernon County over this
Two human skeletons were
found at a spring west of
Wilder's Hotel, Rising
Sun in 1852.
. . . — — Map (db m32003) HM
Sailing vessels used two channels when navigating this part of Green Bay. The first was the western passage on the far side of Chambers Island. The second lies before you: the treacherous passage between the shore and the Strawberry Islands.
. . . — — Map (db m75285) HM
Welcome to Peninsula State Park, a diverse and dramatic place. Two features dominate this landscape: rock and water.
At Peninsula, rocky bluffs ascend over 150 feet. They are part of the Niagara Escarpment, a 650-mile geologic formation. This . . . — — Map (db m79261) HM
It was here that Major Richard I. Bong was born, received his education, and grew to manhood. After attending Superior State College where he received his first pilot training, he joined the U.S. Army Air Corps on May 29, 1941. Assigned to the New . . . — — Map (db m72259) HM
This Lockheed P-38 Lightning fighter, through the efforts of General George C. Kenney, was donated by the United States Air Force in memory of Major Richard I. Bong. Major Bong a native of Poplar, was credited with destroying 40 Japanese aircraft in . . . — — Map (db m43433) HM
Here and northeast of here lies the vast Chippewa Valley. At the start of lumbering in Wisconsin it held one-sixth of the nation’s white pine. Surveyors estimated the total pine stand in the state at 136 billion board feet of prime lumber. Lumbermen . . . — — Map (db m2059) HM
The Carson Park Baseball Stadium is a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project constructed in 1936-37. The stadium was built at a cost of $60,000. The sandstone used for the stadium was quarried at . . . — — Map (db m45571) HM
"I had no idea there was so much business done here. In just one mill where Charley is at work, they saw one hundred thousand feet a day. It keeps Charley pretty busy. He don't get any time to rest except Sunday."
From the letters . . . — — Map (db m76025) HM
Otto and Lina Demmler built this in 1887. Otto, a German immigrant started a floral business in 1885 with his brother Edmund and built six greenhouses for the business, which were located south of the house. Otto died in 1927 . . . — — Map (db m76106) HM
Its doors are open to every sufferer, with no shadow of restriction as to the color of their skin or of their money, or the shade of their religious belief."
Dr. Hans Christian Midelfart
. . . — — Map (db m75336) HM
In the spring of 1861, an eaglet was found in a tree on the Flambeau River by Sky Chief, a Flambeau Indian who later sold him to Mrs. Dan McCann of Jim Falls for a sack of corn. In August, 1861, Dan McCann tried to sell the bird to a Civil War . . . — — Map (db m43484) HM
Built in 1918, this house is the most significant example of Georgian Revival architecture in Eau Claire. Orlando Brice was the treasurer and manager of the Wisconsin Refrigerator Company.
Designated District February . . . — — Map (db m75728) HM
John S. and Mary Owen's gift of land for a city park in 1913-14 came as Eau Claire's reputation as a "sawdust city" was already fading into memory. The Owen's came to Wisconsin in 1873 seeking opportunities in lumbering. John was hired as a . . . — — Map (db m74531) HM
Built in 1915-1916, this residence combines elements of Prairie School and Georgian Revival architecture. Roy Wilcox practiced law in Eau Claire from 1897-1946. He was elected state senator in 1917.
Designated District . . . — — Map (db m75674) HM
As a frontier town, Eau Claire relied on the river to transport people and products. The Water Street Business District grew up convenient to the steamboat landing, where twice weekly the "Jennie Whipple" unloaded passengers opposite the . . . — — Map (db m74588) HM
Dedicated to all veterans
who have served our country
past – present – future.
We shall not forget.
Honoring those who
answered their countries
call in World War II.
These gave their . . . — — Map (db m61245) HM
In 1852 Alvan Earle Bovay of Ripon met with Horace Greeley in New York and advocated dissolution of the Whig Party and formation of a new party to fuse together anti-slavery elements. At the same time he suggested the name "Republican" because he . . . — — Map (db m3225) HM
Incorporated January 29, 1851. The first College building, East Hall, was staked out that spring by Ripon city founders David Mapes and Alvan Bovay. Chartered as Brockway College, it was renamed Ripon College in 1864 and graduated its first class, . . . — — Map (db m3596) HM
In 1927 this tract of land was purchased for the Laona School Forest, the first in Wisconsin and the United States. It was dedicated April 22, 1928.
Motivated by the suggestion of Dean H.L. Russell, of the College of Agriculture, University of . . . — — Map (db m33539) HM
"And they stood every man in his place round about the camp." Judges 7:21
One night in September 1898 two salesmen, John H. Nicholson and Samuel E. Hill, shared room 19 in the Central Hotel, Boscobel. They wondered if some organization could . . . — — Map (db m43533) HM
In this vicinity, during the Black Hawk War of 1832, General Henry Atkinson and approximately 1,000 soldiers crossed the Wisconsin River in pursuit of Sac Indian leader Black Hawk and his followers. On July 26th, at the old abandoned Village of . . . — — Map (db m19150) HM
Winnebago Indians call themselves “Hochunkgra.” A Siouan people, they once occupied the southern half of Wisconsin and the northern counties of Illinois. The Black Hawk War of 1832 and a series of treaties forced the Winnebago out of . . . — — Map (db m3425) HM
A Mauston native, lawyer, and World War I veteran, Loomis served in the state legislature (1929-1934), was first state director of the Rural Electrification Administration (1935-1936), represented Wisconsin at the World Power Conference (1936), and . . . — — Map (db m20386) HM
Door-Kewaunee County College
Around the turn of the previous century, it became apparent that the state normal schools were unable to supply an adequate number of teachers to meet the demand, especially in rural areas.
. . . — — Map (db m77444) HM
The Kewaunee County Farm was operated on this site starting in 1879. Nicknamed 'The Poor Farm' it was a place for the county's elderly who were unable to provide for themselves financially. Tenants enjoyed keeping busy by helping with the . . . — — Map (db m77278) HM
This was once the site of a small, bustling, waterfront community typical of many others in Kewaunee County. By the mid-1800's, as large numbers of settlers moved into the rural areas of the newly formed county, efficient transportation became a . . . — — Map (db m17468) HM
On this site Edward Decker, Kewaunee County's most influential early political and business leader, erected his impressive home. Nicknamed "The White House", it was built from lumber that was cut from some of the 10,000 acres of timber he owned in . . . — — Map (db m77359) HM
Kewaunee, Green Bay & Western Railroad ferry slip No. 1, to your right, is the point where car-ferry service across Lake Michigan began. On Sunday, November 27, 1892, Ann Arbor Railroad car-ferry No. 1 loaded 22 cars of flour which originated at . . . — — Map (db m11760) HM
The jail was designed by Oshkosh, Wisconsin architect William Waters and built in 1876. The building served a dual purpose of being both the sheriff's home and also the county lock-up. It was in use continuously until 1969. That year a county . . . — — Map (db m77344) HM
Before modern cement came onto the market, lime was used in the making of mortar for brick and stonework. Lime was also used for whitewashing wood instead of painting. Large furnaces used heat to reduce nearby limestone rocks into lime.
. . . — — Map (db m77521) HM
Bank of Luxemburg was founded in 1902 by a group of
prominent farmers and busnessmen. In 1903 a state
charter was granted and the bank formally began
operations in what was known as the Wisconsin House.
On June 20, 1904, the bank proceeded to . . . — — Map (db m74985) HM
He found this cemetery neglected and desolate. He transformed it into a place of charm and beauty. He made the wilderness to blossom as the rose.
To commemorate the character and virtues of one who endeared himself to all by an unbroken record . . . — — Map (db m16461) HM
Several times during the ice ages, glaciers flowed out of Canada, sometimes reaching as far south as the Ohio and Missouri rivers. During recent glaciations, southwestern Wisconsin was untouched, because the glaciers were diverted to the east or . . . — — Map (db m24032) HM
Gifted author of this region, Hamlin Garland was born at West Salem September 14, 1860, and died March 4, 1940. His ashes rest in the Garland family plot in Neshonoc cemetery, heart of the Coulee Country immortalized in his books, “Trailmakers . . . — — Map (db m8918) HM
The growth of the dairy industry in Wisconsin is a story of remarkable transfer of scientific knowledge to practical use. As dairy farming developed, Wisconsin's agriculture underwent transformation in less than 50 years.
Proposed as an . . . — — Map (db m10709) HM
One night long ago a Menominee Indian dreamed that Manabush, grandson of Ko-Ko-Mas-Say-Sa-Now (the Earth) and part founder of the Mitawin or Medicine Society, invited him to visit the god. With seven of his friends the Indian called on Manabush who . . . — — Map (db m13602) HM
Prior to the construction of this building in 1902, the Sparta Free Library had several homes in the community. Schick and Roth, a LaCrosse architectural firm, designed the library building.
Steel magnate Andrew Carnegie provided construction . . . — — Map (db m9054) HM
Generally called "Depot Camp," it is the oldest standing lumber camp in Wisconsin. It remains where originally built in 1880, in what was one of the greatest white pine regions of the middle west. Expert woodsmen built the camp as is evidenced by . . . — — Map (db m36898) HM
This church was organized June 10, 1886. The first service was held here October 31 of the same year. Seven years earlier Mary Baker Eddy, the Discoverer and Founder of Christian Science, had founded the Church of Christ, Scientist, in Boston, . . . — — Map (db m13164) HM
On September 30, 1882 this Victorian home became the first residence electrified from a centrally located hydro-electric plant. Henry J. Rogers, pioneer industrialist, built and lighted this home as a showplace for his wife, using the same power . . . — — Map (db m43367) HM
Lawrence University, chartered January 15, 1847, has admitted women to its student body from the day classes started November 12, 1849, in the original Academy or Institute. The first collegiate class of seven students -- four men and three women -- . . . — — Map (db m10247) HM
Built by the City of Appleton
as a lasting monument to
the memory of the soldiers
and sailors of the Civil,
Spanish-American and World Wars.
The above plaque dedicated
the . . . — — Map (db m46912) HM
A steamboat which was run on the Chippewa River for many years during the last half of the 19th century.
Captain Scheckel was perhaps the best known pilot that ever put his hand to a wheel of a Chippewa River steamboat. — — Map (db m10077) HM
Nicholas Perrot was a daring adventurer, fur-trader and able diplomat. The handsome Frenchman built Fort St. Antoine on the shore of Lake Pepin near here in 1686. Alarmed by the aggressions of the English, the French government felt it was necessary . . . — — Map (db m10056) HM
This beautiful lake is twenty-two miles long, varies in width from one to two and a half miles, and covers about thirty-eight square miles. It was caused by the delta of the Chippewa spreading across the gorge of the Mississippi at the southeastern . . . — — Map (db m10026) HM
Here at the head of St. Croix Falls in about 1770, a war party of Chippewas led by Chief Wau-bo-jeeg prepared for battle against their traditional enemies, the Fox and Sioux.
The two parties met on the portage below this point in a fierce and . . . — — Map (db m14421) HM
World War II
Luther J. Bestul
Leonard L. Dahlen
Emory J. Nelson
Nick C. Ostrowski
Joseph S. Berna
David E. Halverson
Ernest M. Kaminski
The whole earth is the tomb of heroic men . . . — — Map (db m33083) WM
Here, for 110 years, stood District School No. 2, the oldest public building in Stevens Point. Completed in 1850, its appearance reflecting its New England heritage, it served the pioneer community as school, recreation, and civic center, and . . . — — Map (db m20969) HM
A sawmill was built here in 1852 by Luther Hanchett and Amos Courtwright. It was purchased in 1864 by Alexander and Thomas McDill who later added a grist mill. The site was occupied after 1902 by Wisconsin Graphite Company and from 1916 to 1951 by . . . — — Map (db m20924) HM
These open grasslands in the Buena Vista Marsh, Portage County, were one of the last remaining strongholds of the Greater Prairie Chicken in Wisconsin. Once abundant in the state, this impressive bird nearly disappeared when its grassland habitat . . . — — Map (db m1151) HM
At this site on the South Fork of the Flambeau River was a sorting pond where logs were separated by logging company brand marks. By unleashing a wall of water 20 miles upstream at the Round Lake Logging Dam, loggers flushed millions of logs to . . . — — Map (db m47223) HM
The dedication of this property
for park purposes is the fulfillment of
William Francis Pier's desire to preserve
the beauty of this natural rock bridge
as a lasting memorial to his father
William Henry Pier
The State . . . — — Map (db m18750) HM
Early explorers of the driftless area noted this "small, isolated vertical rock." The first settlers removed the easily available rubble for building foundations and chimneys. Soon horses and buggies cut between the rocks and established the . . . — — Map (db m20269) HM
Ole Knutson Nattestad, first Norwegian settler in Wisconsin, came to Clinton Township, July 1, 1838.
In his native Numedal, Nattestad had been a farmer, peddler, and blacksmith. In 1836 he and his brother Ansten visited Stavanger and there . . . — — Map (db m22794) HM
This structure of hand-hewn oak stood on the farm of Mr. & Mrs. Henry Williams. It was erected during the 1830's by Erick and Ragnhild Skavlem. It now stands as a visible reminder of the sacrifices made by early pioneers as they settled this area. — — Map (db m25349) HM
Wisconsin's first commercial tobacco was raised in Dane and Rock counties by cousins Orrin and Ralph Pomeroy in 1854. Grown as a cash crop to supplement dairy income, Wisconsin tobacco is used as a binder in making cigars. Because of the large . . . — — Map (db m36216) HM
Erected in 1844 by Joseph Goodrich, this frontier inn is constructed of grout -- a mixture of gravel, lime, and water. An important stagecoach stop and transfer point, it was also a pre-Civil War station in the underground railroad, and is still . . . — — Map (db m22728) HM
Originally called Verona Junction, this settlement was established at the intersection of the Chippewa River and Menomonie railway and the Soo Line railway. Like many Wisconsin communities, it was established as a railroad crossroads serving the . . . — — Map (db m45094) HM
In an effort to get the economy moving during the Great Depression of the 1930s, the Federal Government initiated a number of work projects. One of these was the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).
The CCC was for males, ages 18 to 25. Men were . . . — — Map (db m19986) HM
This enduring highway connecting
Baraboo with Devils Lake was made
possible through the generosity of
Wilbur William Warner
(1850 – 1916)
Whose boyhood home was here.
To his cherished memory this tablet
is gratefully . . . — — Map (db m20251) HM
Shawano is both a Chippewa and a Menominee Indian term signifying "to the South." Shawano Lake first was given this name because it was the southern boundary of Chippewa tribal territory. The city and county later were named after the lake. Like . . . — — Map (db m8201) HM
Four races were held on the 1950 circuit. First place in the sixty-mile main event went to Jim Kimberly driving a Ferrari Tipo 166.
Marker donated by: Augie Pabst in honor of Briggs Cunningham and Alfred Momo.
Historic Race . . . — — Map (db m46187) HM
Named for Robert "Sid" Dickens who raced in an MG-TC. Ted Boynton lost concentration here in 1952 resulting in an excursion into a blueberry patch.
Marker donated by: Tom and Bea Hollfelder · Tiger Racing.
Historic . . . — — Map (db m41110) HM
The Mission: Promote the Increased Use and Appreciation of the Unique Beauty of the Broughton Sheboygan Marsh Through Education and RecreationThe Marsh
The Broughton Sheboygan Marsh Park and Wildlife Area is the prominent . . . — — Map (db m46360) HM
The first sharp corner on the 1951-52 circuit where the road sloped away from the apex making it one of the most dangerous and challenging turns.
Marker donated by: Siebkens Resort in memory of Ollie Siebken Moeller
Historic Race . . . — — Map (db m46258) HM
Fourteen-year-old David Waldo joined the Revolution in 1779. Waldo was born on September 21, 1764, in Dover, New York. He served under Colonel Sherwood at Fort Edward (north of Albany, New York) for three months and completed his first tour . . . — — Map (db m32403) HM
In 1837 Silas Stedman had this structure built as a boarding house for his sawmill workers. It became known as the Mill House, and later the Temperance House, when it served as a hotel. By 1860, the structure was enlarged by Charles Cole for use as . . . — — Map (db m32576) HM
"Bill" Nye, journalist, lecturer, author, and humorist, grew to manhood in this quiet valley of the Kinnickinnic, which flows southwesterly through River Falls. The tall-tales of frontier humor were popular regionally before 1860. Samuel Clemens . . . — — Map (db m9860) HM
First platted in 1854, the commercial district surrounding the public square is still the heart of downtown Galesville. Most buildings date from the 1880s to the early 20th century and feature a two-story brick facade, tall narrow windows and . . . — — Map (db m55979) HM
The Galesville Bridge was erected in 1925, replacing an earlier bridge that was difficult for automobiles to access. For 86 years, the 1925 bridge carried traffic across Beaver Creek. Constructed by the Guaranty Construction Company of Minneapolis, . . . — — Map (db m66182) HM
After holding off his pursuers at the Battle of Wisconsin Heights (about 1½ miles south of present Sauk City) Black Hawk led his people over unfamiliar country toward the Mississippi. In the meantime, the Army alerted Fort Crawford at Prairie . . . — — Map (db m23630) HM
Admiral Marc A. Mitscher, U. S. Navy, pioneer in naval aviation and Commander of Naval Air Task Force 58, famed for its destruction of Japanese sea power in World War II, was born in Hillsboro, January 26, 1887. A 1910 graduate of the U. S. Naval . . . — — Map (db m18729) HM
August 2 1832 twenty
picked Sacs were station-
ed here to decoy the US
Army northward and per-
mit the Indian main body
with women and children
to escape across the riv-
er. Fourteen of the out-
post were shot here wh-
ile . . . — — Map (db m32171) HM
Jeremiah McLain Rusk, who owned and lived on this farm, was born June 17, 1830 in Deerfield, Ohio. In 1853 he moved to Viroqua. He served with distinction in the Civil War and in the United States Congress. As Governor (1882-1889) Rusk gained . . . — — Map (db m31729) HM
Devils Lake, seen here, is a glacial pot-hole on top of a sub-continental divide, waters on its northeast side flow north via the Ontonagon River to Lake Superior and thence east to the Atlantic, while waters on its south side flow via High Lake and . . . — — Map (db m36047) HM
On these bronze plates are the honored names of those courageous men and women from the Clintonville area, who died while serving in the Armed Forces of the United States. They gave all their tomorrows so that we can have our today. We shall . . . — — Map (db m78963) WM
Colonel J.W. Chandler, S.S. Chandler, and S. Miller built Iola's first dam and sawmill in 1853. The partners then constructed a grist mill, adding a flour mill two years later. In 1860, Henry Wipf purchased a controlling interest in the Iola . . . — — Map (db m32951) HM
The Grand Army Home was established in 1887 by the Wisconsin Department of the Grand Army of the Republic, a nationwide organization of Union veterans of the Civil War (1861-1865). The Home provided care for indigent veterans and their wives in a . . . — — Map (db m4272) HM
Korea • Vietnam
to honor those of
who answered their
country's call and gave
their lives for
the great cause of
1917 – 1919
to honor those of
Waupaca, . . . — — Map (db m47077) WM
Let none forget they gave their all,
and faltered not when came the call.
1941 — 1945
Honoring all who served
and dedicated to the noble
deeds of the men and women
of Oshkosh who served their
country and especially to . . . — — Map (db m41731) HM
Born on June 3, 1760, at Branford, Connecticut, Samuel N. Rogers, Sr., served several terms of enlistment with Captain Peck’s Company, Col. Roger Enos’ Regiment of the Connecticut Militia from 1777 to 1781. Following the war, he moved to New York . . . — — Map (db m11043) HM
This property has been
placed on the
by the United States
Department of the Interior
December 12, 1976
William H. Upham
This Victorian mansion was built in . . . — — Map (db m48113) HM
Prior to World War II, few Americans had ever been held as prisoners of war on foreign soil. But the surrender of U.S. forces in the Phillippines in the spring of 1942 suddenly swelled the number of POWs into the thousands, and soon a network of . . . — — Map (db m3193) HM
A native of England, John Edwards Jr. settled in this area in 1859 to assume operation of his father’s sawmill, the nucleus around which the village of Port Edwards developed. Founded in 1840, the Edwards Sawmill was incorporated in 1890 into the . . . — — Map (db m1221) HM
Camp site of the first authorized military expedition into the Black Hills. On September 12, 1857 Lt. G. K. Warren of the U. S. Topographical Engineers and his party, camped here and erected a log corral. (17 years before the famous Custer . . . — — Map (db m4304) HM
1608 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 1408