The Town of Clinton Historic District encompasses most of the town's area, including more than 200 properties built between 1810 and 1930. The Town of Clinton was a prominent local commercial center during this period. It's two mills, numerous . . . — Map (db m16673) HM
Born in High Bridge in 1808 to the iron-making family, he lived in Clinton. Hunterdon's only Civil War general. Killed in 1862 at Manassas, Va. while leading the 1st NJ Brigade. Buried west of the church. — Map (db m18182) HM
George William Taylor of Clinton was commissioned Colonel, Third NJ Volunteer Infantry Regiment on 4 June 1861. The Third Regiment was part of the NJ First Brigade (1,1,V1) under the command of General Phil Kearny. Taylor succeeded Kearny as . . . — Map (db m18268) HM
Founded in 1727, the congregation was originally German Reformed. First a log building. A series of
larger structures followed. Present building erected in 1851 and remodeled in 1902. — Map (db m16933) HM
This building Served as Fulper Pottery Company's factory #2 from 1924 until 1935. The three large kilns in this building are the last known commercial pottery kilns of this type in the State of New Jersey. In 1935 all manufacturing was transferred . . . — Map (db m16831) HM
[On Left Side of Marker:]
The Soldier Dog
I was trained to use my eyes to
watch and protect you from harm.
My ears to alert you of impending
danger like an alarm.
My keen sense of smell to detect
an enemy close at bay. . . . — Map (db m19186) HM
Town takes its name from the many French families that followed Paul Henri Mallet-Prevost, a Swiss refugee from the French Revolution who moved here in 1794. Bottom
Called "Sunbeam" in 1759. Later Sherrard's Ferry. Present name for . . . — Map (db m17079) HM
Originally known as Eveland's Tavern, the community of Glen Gardner was established in the early to mid 1700's. Early settlement relied heavily upon Spruce Run to power mills and the surrounding mountainside to mine ore. The addition of the Central . . . — Map (db m16667) HM
Known for years before 1909 as junction. Central RR of NJ & DL&W railroads met here. Site of extensive machine shops and a huge coal storage facility set up to get nearer the city areas to the east. — Map (db m16702) HM
On October 31, 1933, CCC Company 1268, S.P.-5, arrived at High Bridge, N.J., four years after former Governor Foster M. Voorhees donated his 325 acre farm, known as Hills Acres, to the State of New Jersey to become a park. . . . — Map (db m16930) HM
Named after Miller Kline who operated a Dry Goods store, Post Office, and Tavern. Tavern House dates to the mid-18th century. A place of considerable business, area was then known as Mount Carmel. — Map (db m16681) HM
Park, formerly called York Street Park, was re-named for longtime Lambertville City Clerk (1948-1982) and Mayor (1983-1988). Park was established in 1900 when Civil War Monument, dedicated in 1870 was moved from Mount Hope Cemetery to this location. . . . — Map (db m16858) HM
Old Swack Church
Builder Jacob Swackhammer
In use until 1896
Small marker on concrete post:
Mount Bethel Evangelical Lutheran Church
(Commonly known as . . . — Map (db m17392) HM
The Locktown Stone Church was built in 1819 by the Kingwood Baptists, placed on the National Register in 1973, purchased in 1979 by Donald B. Jones and donated to Delaware Township, and restored in 1995 by the Friends of the Locktown Church, Inc. — Map (db m18998) HM
Established in 1880 by the Farley family, the Post stayed in the family for 100 years. It has served as Post Office, General Store and focal point for the Village of Mountainville. — Map (db m16670) HM
Born in this Village of New Hampton, Lebanon Township, NJ in 1736.
Died in Winchester, VA July 6, 1802.
French and Indian War
Battle of Quebec, Canada Captured 1775
Distinguished himself in the Battle . . . — Map (db m17920) HM
[Newer, Blue Marker]:
Built in 1813. Named in honor of Admiral Perry’s Lake Erie victory. Later called Brick Tavern. In 1969 moved from Rt. 78 site to this location.
[Older, Red Marker]:
Built, 1813, Named for Perry’s Lake . . . — Map (db m16614) HM
An early 1700S log meeting here was replaced by a stone structure in 1754. This was torn down and rebuilt in 1862, reusing the original stones. This Friends' meeting is still in use today with its extant records dating back to 1744. — Map (db m16678) HM
In memory of those who lost their lives during construction of the Delaware & Raritan Canal.
From 1830 to 1834, an army of ditch diggers, carpenters and masons - many of whom were Irish immigrants - built the canal. Large numbers perished during . . . — Map (db m17080) HM
Built in 1811 as a private school. In 1869 the Larison brothers, Dr. C.W. and Rev. A.B. opened their seminary at Ringoes. Building is one of the finest examples of Federal Architecture in N.J. — Map (db m16732) HM
In 1854 Flemington Transportation Co. Built roadbed from Flemington to Lambertville. Became part of Pennsylvania RR in 1871. BR&WRR began operations in 1965. Other business located on site include creamery, lumber yard, mattress factory and feed . . . — Map (db m16696) HM
Prior to 1750 an Anglican church built of logs, later stone. Only portions of cemetery remain. Dr. Gershom Craven, who treated General Lafayette, is buried here. All graves face east as was the custom of the times. — Map (db m16733) HM
Founded as a German Reform church in 1749 by Palentine Settlers from Germany. Stone church originally in adjoining cemetery. Became a Presbyterian church in 1810. Original entrance faced south. — Map (db m16734) HM
To commemorate the valour of
Captain Daniel Bray.
Who with a few patriotic citizens braved the enemy and collected enough boats from along the river to make possible the memorable crossing of the ice-laden Delaware of General Washington . . . — Map (db m16591) HM
This is the last public covered bridge in New Jersey. It was erected in 1872 on abutments dating back to colonial times. Damaged in 1960, the superstructure of this bridge was completely dismantled and removed to make way for a conventional span. . . . — Map (db m16828) HM
The original roadway connecting the Centre Bridge across the Delaware River and the road running along the river's east edge (now N.J. Route 29) was built by the Center Bridge Company and opened for traffic in 1813. The eastern portion of this . . . — Map (db m16654) HM
The Center Bridge Company was incorporated to construct a toll bridge across the Delaware River here in 1812, completely reconstructed in 1830, and substantially repaired in 1841 after a damaging flood. The bridge, a covered . . . — Map (db m16655) HM
Established as a summer camp in 1936 by Robert and Hermia Lechner. Site developed through federal government's Works Progress Administration (WPA) and Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) programs. — Map (db m16822) HM
Site of the "Poor Farm" which operated until the late 1930's. Indigent men resided here and received room and board in exchange for working on the surrounding land.
Records beginning around 1838 indicate that the poor were managed by overseers . . . — Map (db m18008) HM
the men and women of
who served their country during Wold War II
in memory of
the following who made the supreme sacrifice
Harold A. Cronce •
Thomas Godown •
Edward F. Greer •
Harry Henry •
John S. . . . — Map (db m16934) HM
The Somerville & Easton Railroad first reached the rural community of White House in 1848 and a modest depot was constructed to shelter travelers as they waited for the stagecoach. By 1860, a small community, aptly named White House Station, had . . . — Map (db m19187) HM
Originally known as Stout's Corner, Mount Rose emerged as a village in the 1820s. By 1880 it boasted a school, post office, sawmill and several shops. It was perhaps best known as a center of applejack whiskey production. Two distilleries operated . . . — Map (db m18264) HM
In 1664, the Duke of York sold New Jersey, or "Nova Caesaria" to Lord Berkley and Sir George Carteret.
East Jersey: Carteret's Trustees sold a "Half" in 1682 to twelve associates, thereafter proprietors of East Jersey.
West Jersey: Berkley . . . — Map (db m16862) HM
In grateful recognition of the many sacrifices made by those who served in the Vietnam Conflict, the people of Chatham Township dedicate this park to the memory of
ROBERT EMMETT PIERSON
WALTER BUSILL TULLY, JR.
Who gave their lives for . . . — Map (db m18230) HM
Whether you call the mansion before you "Queen Anne Farm" as the Bensels did, or Hardscrabble House as the Cross Family renamed it, the estate served as an escape from everyday life.
John A. and Ella Bensel built the house in 1905, and William . . . — Map (db m18311) HM
Logan's grist mill supplied food to Washington's troops during Jockey Hollow encampment. John Ralston, early industrialist, occupied the manor house 1786-1819, and operated the general store, subsequently a post office 1892-1941. — Map (db m18217) HM
First settled as a hamlet called Roxiticus.
The stone mill was built in 1732 for John Logan. The mansion house and store about 1780 for John Ralston.
Inscribed by the Ralston Historical Association - Custodian of the store building since 1941. — Map (db m18216) HM
Built and operated as a one room school until 1928, when students transferred to Mendham Borough School. Remodelled as private dwelling after acquisition by Schiff Scout Reservation, 1941 — Map (db m16981) HM
These plants and plots recreate a farm garden during the American Revolution. This year's garden has been researched, worked, and interpreted by the Herb Society of America, Northern New Jersey Unit, in cooperation with--- Morristown National . . . — Map (db m18309) HM
Dedicated to the Members of the Armed Services,
The Sung and the Unsung,
The Known and the Unknown,
The Returned and the Remaining,
Beloved Heroes All
In Latitudes and Longitudes
Near and Remote, In Times
Recent and Distant, Did . . . — Map (db m18225) WM
Farmed for centuries, these fields have remained a cherished Harding vista while much open cropland disappeared. In 1999, Peter H. B. Frelinghuysen conveyed to the Harding Land Trust nearly 100 acres of open fields on both sides of James Street . . . — Map (db m18221) HM
We honor the memory of John Paul Bocchi
James Leslie Crawford Jr.
Matthew Carmen Sellitto
William Randolf Tieste
Harding Township Citizens Who Perished in the World Trade Center September 11, 2001 — Map (db m18220) HM
This 15 acre property was purchased by Harding Township and the Harding Land Trust in 2003 in partnership with the Morris County Open Space Preservation Trust and the State of New Jersey Green Acres program. It is a key link in the Silver Brook . . . — Map (db m18223) HM
This building was erected in 1809 by Rev. Robert Finley to house a classical school founded by him in 1797. Statesmen, professional men, and business leaders were among its graduates. The academy served as a public school from 1853 to 1903. Owned by . . . — Map (db m18305) HM
There are 97 identified graves here: 36 with names and 61 unknown, including former slaves and free blacks who were members of the Lamington Presbyterian Church. Remains of 5 Civil War veterans who fought heroically for the Union lie here. As you . . . — Map (db m16975) HM
Blizzards, extreme cold, lack of food and medical care -- All endured by the New Jersey Brigade in the winter of 1779-80 while it camped here and watched British movements in New York. — Map (db m16608) HM
In Honor and Memory of all the Men and Women of Branchburg who proudly served our country in the armed forces of the United States of America.
In recognition of the Branchburg Veterans Memorial Committee.
Dedicated . . . — Map (db m16993) WM
Far Hills Station was built by the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad in 1914 and was designed by a staff architect, L.R. Simpson. Simpson was an assistant to Frank J. Nies, a prolific architect for the railroad, who designed most of the . . . — Map (db m16982) HM
When Earth temperatures started cooling about 100,000 years ago, ice built up in the North to over a mile in height. Forced to flow outward by its own weight, the ice sheet spread south, bulldozing the land. Then with a rise in global temperature, . . . — Map (db m18700) HM
P.J. Boatwright served the USGA with dedication and distinction for over three decades.
Renowned for his expertise in conducting championships, he was also the world's foremost authority on the rules of golf.
P.J. was the ultimate arbiter in . . . — Map (db m18212) HM
Dedicated in grateful appreciation to the men and women of Bernards Township who served in the armed forces during World War I and World War II. That peace, freedom and justice might not perish from the earth. — Map (db m18211) HM
The Estate of Catherine "Kate" Everit Macy Ladd (1863-1945) and Walter Graeme Ladd (1857-1933)
Designed and Built 1905-1912
Architects Guy Lowell (1870-1927) and Henry J. Hardenbergh (1847-1918) — Map (db m18215) HM
The confluence of Peapack Brook and the North Branch of the Raritan River became a rural industrial center during the 18th century when a saw mill, grist mill, tannery and bark mill were located nearby. The Peapack Brook Rural Industrial Historic . . . — Map (db m18574) HM
In honor of those who served in the World War. 1917–1919.
In memory of the men who lost their lives ... in honor of the men and women who also served in the armed forces of our country. World War II, 1441–1445.
Honor Roll . . . — Map (db m16979) WM
Born in Buffalo NY, Novemver 4, 1916
Enlisted from Raritan, N.J., July 11, 1940
Awarded Congressional Medal Of Honor for Heroic Action on October 24, 25, 1942
Volunteered again for combat, Dec. 27, 1943
Killed in action . . . — Map (db m16987) HM
Whose friendship for the Whites, made possible the building of the Olde York Road over their trail which from 1765 until 1839 was the swift sure stage line between New York and Philadelphia from this point to Lambertville thence to Philadelphia. . . . — Map (db m16986) HM
The potential of the Raritan River to provide waterpower for industry was recognized early. In 1840, the success of similar projects along the Passaic and Delaware Rivers prompted the Somerville Water Power Company to begin building a power canal . . . — Map (db m16988) HM
Named for the first settler, Jacob Carpenter who emigrated from Switzerland about 1748. A ferry was operated between here and Raubsville, PA. By the mid 1700's there was a gristmill here and a general store through the 1800's.
In 1854, . . . — Map (db m17019) HM
Finesville began as Chelsea Forge, ca 1751, a charcoal - iron forge on the Musconetcong River.
Philip and John Fine, brothers of German descent purchased the forge in the late 1700's, built a dam, and soon after built an oil mill, gristmill and . . . — Map (db m17885) HM
Patriot Edward Hunt settled here on his father's 600 acres of land prior to 1772.
In 1778, 60 cavalry horses belonging to the Continental Army were wintered here and "returned in spring in excellent condition".
Before the revolution, . . . — Map (db m17887) HM
In 1793, Benjamin Seigle, a captain of the militia during the revolution purchased land here & built a home & a pottery, and produced items of red clay known as Seigleware.
The Seigles built a gristmill, clovermill & blacksmith shop. They owned . . . — Map (db m17884) HM
This was once part of the area known as Kennedys, but when the Lehigh Valley Railroad came through in the 1850's, a foundry was built at the foot of Silver Hill to cast the shackle bolts for the coupling-links that were used to fasten the railway . . . — Map (db m17881) HM
Mt. BETHEL METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
in an old log church on this site
FRIDAY MAY 10, 1811.
On Thursday May 9, 1811 Bishop Asbury stayed at Halls Mill (now Asbury) with Col. William McCullough. He preached there in the barn. . . . — Map (db m18965) HM
National Register Landmark
No. 5 West
Nearby informational marker (see photo #2):
Main Street canal store sits on the N.W. bank of the canal. Reputedly built by Moore Furan in 1836. Notice the loft openings (center . . . — Map (db m19145) HM
First known as Shank's Ferry in the 1700's. A ferry was established here across the Delaware River. It became known as Riegel's Ferry and the first bridge was built circa 1837. In 1854 a railroad station was built with the stop named "Musconetcong" — Map (db m16749) HM
By 1765, Philadelphia lawyer, Hugh Hughes had taken possession of the Greenwich Forge which had been flourishing near here since the 1750's using iron from Durham Furnace. The forge did extensive business until after the Revolutionary War. . . . — Map (db m17883) HM
Here is Lock No. 12 in a series of 23 lift locks, numbered from Bristol to Easton. Just above here is one of the nine aquaducts by which the canal and its traffic crossed courses of small streams.
A . . . — Map (db m17586) HM
Noted artist and co-founder of the "luminist" style of landscape painting. Also known for his humingbird studies and floral still lifes. He first studied with Edward and Thomas Hicks in Newtown. Born and raised here; family owned the store across . . . — Map (db m17585) HM
A system of State-built public works to connect Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Lake Erie. The Delaware Division, Bristol-Easton begun 1827; operated by the State 1831-58, and by private owners to 1931. A State park since 1940. — Map (db m18009) HM
Born Nockamixon Township, served 6th and 104th Pennsylvania Volunteers, 1861. Regiment flag bearer, Fair Oaks, Va., May 31, 1862, wounded twice, faced advancing enemy while Union Army in retreat, saved another regiment color from capture after . . . — Map (db m18074) HM
Uhlertown, known as Mexico at an earlier date, was named for Michael Uhler, boatbuilder and operator of a line of canal boats. Lock No. 18 and well kept buildings are interesting reminders of canal days. — Map (db m18084) HM
567 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 367