St. Jacobsgasthuis / St. James’ Guest House
The building on the right (no. 213) was the main house of the St. James Guest House, where pilgrims to Santiago de Compostela were given shelter. In addition to an infirmary and place to stay, the house also had a chapel. The path behind the door on the right leads to Jacobs Gasthuissteeg (Guest House Alleyway), along which ten apartments (houses for the needy) stood. The still recognizable rear entrance of the walled complex was on the Springweg (the street behind and parallel to...). In 1870, in the Valckensteijn House (No. 215-217) lived the Rev. Abraham Kuiper.
Erected by The ANWB.
Location. 52° 5.282′ N, 5° 7.278′ E. Marker is in Utrecht, Utrecht. Marker is on Oudegracht Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Oudegracht 213, Utrecht 3511, Netherlands.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. De Zakkendrager / The Porters (within shouting distance of this marker); Voormalig Klooster en Later Weeshuis / Former Monastery and Later Orphanage (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Doopsgezinde Kerk / Mennonite Church (about 120 meters away); Geboortehuis van Paus Adriaan / Birthplace of Pope Adrian (about 150 meters away); Mieropskameren / Mierop's Homes (about 150 meters away); Claustraal Huis van Oudemunster / Canon House of the Former Oudmunster Church (about 210 meters away); Maartensbrug en Oude Gracht / "St. Martin's Bridge" on the Old Canal (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Universiteit Utrecht / Utrecht University (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Utrecht.
Regarding St. Jacobsgasthuis / St. James' Guest House. The Rev. Abraham Kuijper mentioned in the last sentence of the marker was a journalist and theologian who served as the Prime Minister of the Netherlands from 1901-1905.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 12, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 128 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 12, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.