Clarendon in Donley County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Stephen's Baptist Church
In May 1918, the church building was destroyed by a massive flood. However, under the leadership of Rev. Pickford, the congregation found a new location and in spite of declining membership, the church remained strong. In 1930, Rev. J.J. Hayden organized the first choir who sang at church services and performed for the public on special occasions. In the 1940s, a building was moved from Lelia Lake to Clarendon to be used by St. Stephens. During the next thirty years, the congregation held
Erected 2014 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18141.)
Location. 34° 56.573′ N, 100° 53.201′ W. Marker is in Clarendon, Texas, in Donley County. Marker is on Jefferson Street 0.2 miles north of North Front Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clarendon TX 79226, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Clarendon News (approx. 0.3 miles away); Funeral Business in Clarendon (approx. 0.4 miles away); Stockton P. Donley (approx. 0.4 miles away); Church of St. John Baptist (approx. 0.4 miles away); Donley County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Clarendon (approx. half a mile away); S. W. Lowe House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Donley County (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarendon.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 12, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 233 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 12, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.