Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Leandro in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Peralta House

 
 
Peralta House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, January 10, 2010
1. Peralta House Marker
Inscription. First brick house built in Alameda County. Constructed 1860 by W. R. Toler for Ignacio Peralta, early San Leandro Spanish settler, whose father, Don Luis Maria Peralta, received land grant from Spanish Governor Don Pablo Vicente de Sola, October 20, 1820.
 
Erected 1949 by California Centennials Commission. (Marker Number 285.)
 
Location. 37° 43.833′ N, 122° 9.688′ W. Marker is in San Leandro, California, in Alameda County. Marker can be reached from Lafayette Avenue near Leo Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 561 Lafayette Avenue, San Leandro CA 94577, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Peralta Home – Alta Mira Club (a few steps from this marker); De Anza Expedition 1775 - 1776 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rancho San Antonio (approx. 0.3 miles away); San Leandro Courthouse Site (approx. 0.4 miles away); County Courthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Little Brown Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Casa Peralta (approx. half a mile away); San Leandro – Cherry Festivals (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Leandro.
 
Regarding Peralta House.
Peralta House and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, January 10, 2010
2. Peralta House and Marker
Marker is mounted on the right support post at the top of the steps.
The Peralta Home was designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No. 285 on January 8, 1938 and was placed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1982.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
1772-First Exploration * San Leandro Point of Historical Interest * 1872 City Incorporated image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, January 10, 2010
3. 1772-First Exploration * San Leandro Point of Historical Interest * 1872 City Incorporated
Peralta Home
Built for Ignacio Reralta in 1860, this was South County’s first brick house and is now the Alta Mira Club House
National Register of Historic Places Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, January 10, 2010
4. National Register of Historic Places Plaque
Mounted on rock to the left of the steps.
Plaque Mounted on Rock to the Right of the Steps image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, January 10, 2010
5. Plaque Mounted on Rock to the Right of the Steps
Ignacia Peralta Home
Built 1860
Purchased by
Alta Mira Club,
1926
Member Federation 1908
First Brick Home
In
Alameda County
D.A.R. Marker Mounted on Left Support Post at the Top of Stairs image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, January 10, 2010
6. D.A.R. Marker Mounted on Left Support Post at the Top of Stairs
Peralta Chapter, NSDAR
Organized 1957
Honors
Ygnacio Peralta's House built in 1860
on land granted to Don Louis Maria Peralta in 1820
Property purchased in 1926 by the Alta Mira Club
Marker placed 1997
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 22, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 15, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,034 times since then and 41 times this year. Last updated on December 20, 2016, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 15, 2010, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Paid Advertisement