Great Falls in Cascade County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
Cascade County Courthouse
Spirited revelry in the streets of Great Falls greeted news of the creation of Cascade County in 1887. Named county seat, Great Falls grew quickly, with county offices located in various downtown buildings. In 1891 voters approved the visionary $20,000 purchase of an entire city block for the site of a future courthouse. Lack of funds and taxable population delayed construction until 1901. Architects H. N. Black and Frank Longstaff called their courthouse design “pure French Renaissance with slight modifications.” Constructed of grey sandstone quarried nearby, the courthouse was dedicated on July 4, 1903. Its interior detail reflects the skill of the union craftsmen who fashioned it, while its beautifully landscaped grounds are a silent tribute to Great Falls city founder Paris Gibson, a tireless advocate for trees and parkland. The architects’ plan called for a dome made primarily from stone; instead, it is constructed entirely of copper. Topped by the Statue of Justice, the dome was used during World War II by lookouts guarding against possible Japanese air attacks. Today the courthouse continues to serve Cascade County citizens.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Montana National Register Historical Markers marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is located in front of the subject courthouse, on the right-hand side of the wide walkway approaching the main entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 415 Second Avenue North, Great Falls MT 59401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Portage Around the Falls (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Falls: Obstacle or Opportunity (approx. 1.1 miles away); Commissary of the Plains (approx. 1.1 miles away); A "great" Set of Falls (approx. 3.4 miles away); Pure Springs Along the Missouri River (approx. 3.7 miles away); These Springs Have Witnessed... (approx. 3.8 miles away); Where Does the Water Come From? (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Smallest River Runs Through It (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Great Falls.
Also see . . .
1. Cascade County Courthouse.
The building faces south and is a three story buff colored sandstone block structure with slight modifications. On the south side, the columns are solid Tennessee marble rising to the roof line. In the center of the building is a round stone tower with dark green copper roof and Statue of Justice. The east and west project (Submitted on March 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Cascade County Courthouse.
Cascade County Courthouse is a three-story English Renaissance Revival structure which was built in 1901-1903. The buildings most noticeable features are the 'giant order' four polished granite columns in the front center of the building and the tall copper dome, raised on columns, which caps the design. (Submitted on March 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Cascade County Courthouse.
The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) in 1980, and is included in the Great Falls Northside Residential Historic District, which was listed on the NRHP in 1991 (Submitted on March 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Man-Made Features • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 21, 2017. This page originally submitted on March 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 209 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 10, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7, 8, 9. submitted on March 18, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.