Novato in Marin County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Scott General Store
857 Grant Avenue
The post office was in the store from 1891 to 1896, and again from 1900 to 1914. In 1908, J.W. Cain installed a small frame switchboard with a ten-phone line capacity. In 1945, Pini Hardware occupied the building after a fire at their Grant Avenue location.
Referred to a "Scott's Hall," there was a large room upstairs where plays, meeting and religious services were held. Novato's 4-H Club and the Druids held their first meetings here.
In the 1970's it was occupied by Johnson's Red Barn furniture store and later, a publisher moved out when the floor buckled under the weight of his books.
In1979, a fire damaged much of the building's interior, but the exterior remains preserved.
Erected by Novato Historical Guild.
Location. 38° 6.426′ N, 122° 34.074′ W. Marker is in Novato, California, in Marin County. Marker is on Grant Avenue near Sherman Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 857 Grant Avenue, Novato CA 94945, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. DeBorba's (within shouting distance of this marker); Novato Bank Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Novato Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); (Novato) City Hall (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Novato City Hall (about 400 feet away); Druids Hall (about 400 feet away); Druid's Hall/ Loustaunau's Hall (about 400 feet away); Fashion Shop (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Novato.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 14, 2017. This page originally submitted on April 10, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 94 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 10, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.