St. Paul's Episcopal Church
In 1848, soon after the Michigan legislature relocated the state capital to Lansing Township, an Episcopal society met in the new capitol, located at Washington Avenue and Allegan Street. The society which became a parish in 1856, erected its first church at the corner of North Washington Avenue and Ionia Street in 1859. A second, much larger church opened at the present location on October 20, 1873, three weeks after the cornerstone of the present capitol had been laid.
This Neo-Gothic-inspired church was erected in 1914. Although plans for a church had been supplied by local architect Samuel D. Butterworth, revised plans of the Reverend Henry J. Simpson, rector, were used when the A.R.Cole Company built the church. The church complex includes a 1942 chapel, a 1952 parish house and a 1967 education annex. The building is distinguished by its stained glass windows installed in the 1940s-1960s, and woodcarvings, crafted by German artisan Alois Lang.
Erected 1991 by Bureau of History, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1689.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 44.087′ N, 84°
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Michigan Sharpshooters (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Central United Methodist Church (about 300 feet away); First Regiment Michigan Engineers (about 400 feet away); Michigan (about 400 feet away); Austin Blair (about 500 feet away); Michigan State Capitol (about 500 feet away); Michigan State Capitol / Michigan's Three Capitols (about 600 feet away); Lansing Labor Holiday (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lansing.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 20, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 25, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 188 times since then. Last updated on May 11, 2017, by Bill Rieske of Lansing, Michigan. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 25, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.