Cherry Hill School
This one-room frame school, built ca. 1937, was the first separate school building constructed for African-American students on Hilton Head Island. It replaced an earlier Cherry Hill School, which had held its classes in personage of St. James Baptist Church. After the black community on the island raised funds to buy this tract, Beaufort County agreed to build this school.
This was an elementary school with one teacher, with an average of about 30 students. It had grades 1-5 when it opened in 1937, adding grade 6 the next school year. The black community helped pay for maintenance of the school and also supplemented teacher salaries. Cherry Hill School, which closed in 1954, was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2012.
Erected 2013 by St. James Baptist Church. (Marker Number 7-42.)
Location. 32° 14.083′ N, 80° 41.478′ W. Marker is in Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is at the intersection of Dillon Rd and City Beach Rd, on the right on Dillon Rd. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hilton Head Island SC 29926, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. James Baptist Church (within shouting
Categories. • African Americans • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 22, 2017. This page originally submitted on June 19, 2017, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 100 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 19, 2017, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.