Crystal Falls in Iron County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Iron County Courthouse
A building committee was formed in February 1890 and members reported it would be necessary to raise the sum of $30,000. In April voters authorized the board to issue bonds and in June bids were let. Work was begun shortly after July 4th by contractor Louis A. Webber.
The cornerstone of the building was laid in September 1890 and be November the walls of the building were completed on the second story and part of the roof was on. In May 1891 the 17 foot high statues of Law, Mercy and Justice were put into place on the front of the building. The columns flanking the front entrance were quarried from local stone and were not installed until later.
Interior work was continued in 1891. The pressed metal court room ceiling, the ornate plaster wall designs, acanthus leafed Corinthian columns with winged dragons and muses
The tower clock with four faces was not installed until almost twenty years later. The clock was wound weekly by hand until the 1940’s when it was electrified. The largest weight for the striker weighs a half ton. The bell can be heard over 4 miles away on a clear day.
J.C. Clancy, a well known architect in the Mid-West, designed the Richardsonian Romanesque-Style Iron County Courthouse. It is characterized by its high-pitched roof, high windows, deeply arched doorways and a clock tower. A special feature, the decorative statuary of Law, Mercy and Justice was also added.
The courthouse was listed on the National Register of Historic Places Feb. 24, 1975 and was dedicated in 1977. It is also part of the National Historic District consisting of nearly 50 contributing structures.
Erected by Iron County Heritage Trail.
Location. 46° 5.806′ N, 88° 20.102′ W. Marker is in Crystal Falls, Michigan, in Iron County. Marker is at the intersection Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 S. 6th Street, Crystal Falls MI 49920, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Iron County (here, next to this marker); July 4th 1661 (approx. 5.4 miles away); Indian Village (approx. 9.1 miles away); Pentoga Park (approx. 9.1 miles away).
Additional keywords. County Courthouse
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 24, 2017, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 79 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 24, 2017, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.