Mackinac Island in Mackinac County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Constructed for Charles O’Malley about 1852, this building was one of the first summer hotels on Mackinac Island. Captain Henry Van Allen, a Great Lakes Skipper, purchased the hotel in 1865. He later moved it from the beach to its present location. By the 1880’s the Island House was known as “The best family hotel on the island.” Following the death of her parents, Mrs. Rose Van Allen Webster became proprietor about 1892. She was the wife of Colonel John Webster, whom she had met during the 1870’s when he was stationed at Fort Mackinac. Mrs. Webster added the large wings in 1895 and 1912, retaining ownership until her death in 1938. The Island House still serves as a resort hotel.
Michigan History Division, Department of State
Registered Local Site No. 217
Property of the State of Michigan, 1973
Erected 1973 by Michigan History Division, Department of State.
Location. 45° 51.042′ N, 84° 36.851′ W. Marker is in Mackinac Island, Michigan, in Mackinac County. Marker is on Lake Shore Drive (aka Main Street) (State Highway 185), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is near the sidewalk, directly in front of the subject building. Marker is
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "Cass Cliff" (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sainte Anne Church (about 700 feet away); American Fur Company Store (approx. 0.2 miles away); Greany Grove (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic Fort Mackinac (approx. 0.2 miles away); Scout Barracks / Parade Ground (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mission Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Round Island Lighthouse (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mackinac Island.
Also see . . .
1. Island House History.
From its beginning over 150 years ago as a waterfront beach house to the family-restored hotel it is today, the Island House has opened its doors to over a million tourists from around the world. With its handsome Victorian structure and family owned intimacy, Mackinac Island’s oldest hotel is a tradition not to be missed. (Submitted on August 15, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Hotel History: Island House Hotel (1852).
After Mrs. Webster's death, the hotel stood vacant for several years, as its maintenance and taxes were too burdensome for her heirs. In 1945, the state took over the property and for a brief period the hotel was used to house the Moral Rearmament movement (Submitted on August 15, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 15, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 124 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 15, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.