Benton County Courthouse
The courthouse was designed by Delos D. Neer, a prominent Portland architect, in a style he described as resembling “an Italian villa with a military influence.”
Local stone and brick went into the structure, which cost less than $70,000 to build and furnish.
On Nov. 4, 1889, Judge R. S. Bean presided over the first circuit court session under its roof.
Thanks to a dramatic remodeling in the late 1970s, the courthouse today looks much as it did in its early years. Many authentic furnishings and architectural details have been preserved or restored, making the courthouse a showcase of Benton County history and architecture.
In 1968, the Benton County Courthouse was named an Oregon Historic Site, and in 1977 was nominated to the National Register of Historic Places.
Location. 44° 33.897′ N, 123° 15.719′ W. Marker is in Corvallis, Oregon, in Benton County. Marker is on 4th Street, on the right when traveling south
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Whiteside Theatre (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); City Hall (about 500 feet away); The Opera House (about 500 feet away); L.G. Kline Building (about 700 feet away); Site of Corvallis Public Schools (approx. 0.2 miles away); Benton County State Bank (approx. 0.2 miles away); Elementary Schools (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Corvallis Arts Center (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Corvallis.
Regarding Benton County Courthouse. Judge Robert Sharp Bean (1854-1931) was an Oregon attorney and three times a Chief Justice of the Oregon Supreme Court.
Categories. • Architecture • Government •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 24, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 22, 2017, by Lane Parker of San Francisco, California. This page has been viewed 114 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 22, 2017, by Lane Parker of San Francisco, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.