Clinton Township High School / East North Broadway Historic District
—A New Marker, Also a Replacement —
Clinton Township High School
The first school in Clinton Township was opened in 1809. That school was located on the west side of the Olentangy River and children had to wade across to attend. The 1872 map of the township shows a school house on East Street (now Oakland Park Avenue) just to the east of the Turnpike (now High Street). Prior to 1890, the school moved to be along High just to the south of North Broadway. The 1890 plat of North Broadway made provision for the preservation of a new fence on the school lot. In 1895 a four room brick school house was built. The population continued to grow and in 1904 the Clinton Township Trustees built a high school to the east of the 1895 school building. That school building was designed by David Riebel, the architect of Columbus City Schools. In 1910 the City of Columbus annexed this portion of the Clintonville area. By 1922, the 1895 school house was replaced with a larger brick building. Bricks from the 1895 building were used in the construction of the 1922 school. Both the 1904 and 1922 school buildings continue to be used to educate children in Clinton Township. In 2014, after completing a major renovation of the 1922 building, Columbus City School officials declared that it would be too expensive to bring the 1904 building up to current standards.
East North Broadway Historic District
North Broadway was platted by the Loren and Dennison Company in 1890. East North Broadway originally extended from High Street to the Big Four Railroad (Cleveland, Cincinnati, Columbus and St. Louis RR, later the New York Central), one mile east, where it terminated with a depot and post office. The intersection with Calumet Street (also known as Beech Hill) was originally designed with a landscaped circle in the center of the intersection with the road around it. The traffic circle was removed, but evidence of it remains where the sidewalks mark the outer edges of the circle.
The District encompasses 117 primary buildings and 86 secondary buildings representing a wide variety of housing styles that were popular during the late 19th to mid 20th centuries, including Queen Anne, Colonial Revival, English Revival, Dutch Colonial Revival, Romanesque Revival, Craftsman, Bungalow, and mid-century modern.
On July 8, 2010 the District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior.
Erected 2016 by The Clintonville Historical Society.
Location. 40° 1.89′ N, 83°
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. East North Broadway Historic District (was here, next to this marker but has been reported permanently removed. ); Clintonville / Clinton Township (within shouting distance of this marker); Clinton Theater / Memory Lane (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rand P. Hollenback (approx. 0.7 miles away); Philo Webster and Webster Graveyard (approx. 1.1 miles away); Bill Moose (approx. 1.1 miles away); Dominion Land Company Mound An Early Woodlands Period Structure/Sunwall and Moonwall Murals (approx. 1.3 miles away); Coach Woody Hayes (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
More about this marker. this new bronze marker replaces an earlier sheet metal marker
it carries the same text as the older version
Categories. • Architecture • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 6, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 105 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 6, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.