Rowena in Runnels County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Many early twentieth-century inhabitants of Rowena were of German and Czech descent. The town became a trading point for those involved in the region’s agricultural industry. The first one-room school building, known as Cemetery Hill School, was located about a half mile southeast of town, near Rowena’s cemetery. The school moved closer to the center of town in 1904 and by 1908 had grown from one to four rooms. German Evangelical,
Erected 2016 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18345.)
Location. 31° 38.83′ N, 100° 2.876′ W. Marker is in Rowena, Texas, in Runnels County. Marker is at the intersection of Edward Street (Farm to Market Road 2133) and Mary Street, on the right when traveling east on Edward Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rowena TX 76875, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oldest Rock Building in City (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sons of Hermann Lodge (approx. 0.3 miles away); SPJST Lodge No. 49 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sweet Home School (approx. 4.3 miles away); J.W. Clampitt (approx. 6.9 miles away); San Clemente Mission (approx. 7.2 miles away); Colorado River Ferry Crossing (approx. 8˝ miles away); Miles Methodist Church (approx. 8˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rowena.
Also see . . . Rowena, TX. From the Texas State Historical Association’s “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on September 22, 2017.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Rowena.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 22, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 22, 2017, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 261 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 22, 2017, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.