Wilmington in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Town Hall
For its first one hundred years, Town Hall served as the center for important governmental proceedings and many community activities. Town meetings, elections, exhibits, the naturalization of new citizens, court activities, and private gatherings all took place here. Numerous groups used Town Hall as their headquarters, including the Philosophical Society, the Freemasons, the Library Company, and two early fire companies. By 1916, city government had outgrown Town Hall, and it was sold to the Historical Society of Delaware.
Erected 2006 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-150.)
Location. 39° 44.501′ N, 75° 33.026′ W. Marker is in Wilmington, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 512 N. Market Street, Wilmington DE 19801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grand Lodge of Delaware A.F.&A.M. (here, next to this marker); Willingtown Square (a few steps from this marker); Brown v. Board of Education (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lincoln's Speech (about 600 feet away); Thomas Garrett (about 600 feet away); Old Farmers Bank (about 800 feet away); Bethel A.M.E. Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Dickinson (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilmington.
Categories. • Government • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 1, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,377 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 1, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.