Cloverdale in Sonoma County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected 2014 by Sam Brannan #1004 and Yerba Buena #1, E Clampus Vitus.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 38° 48.405′ N, 123° 1.107′ W. Marker is in Cloverdale, California, in Sonoma County. Marker is on North Cloverdale Boulevard (Highway 101), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. The Plaque is located on an east wall of the Cloverdale History Center, adjacent to the Gould-Shaw House. Marker is at or near this postal address: 215 North Cloverdale Boulevard, Cloverdale CA 95425, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Isaac E. Shaw Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Cloverdale Reveille (within shouting distance of this marker); Icaria-Speranza Utopian Colony (approx. 2½ miles away); Italian Swiss Colony (approx. 3.9 miles away); Harmon Gregg Heald (approx. 15.7 miles away); March/Heald Flour Mill (approx. 15.8 miles away).
More about this marker. East wall of the office just north of the office entrance
Regarding Gould--Shaw House. When Indiana-born blacksmith Thomas Jefferson Gould built his house on Cloverdale’s West Street in 1862, he had no way of knowing it would one day be known as the Gould Shaw House, much less that it would become such a significant part of the town’s history. Located at 215 Cloverdale boulevard, the house is the oldest documented dwelling in Cloverdale and one of the rare surviving examples of the Gothic Revival architecture. This is an architectural style of the Victorian era that is characterized by steeply pitched roofs, pointed-arch windows, elaborate trim along the roof edges, and high dormers.
Isaac Ellis Shaw bought the house from Gould in 1875, He lived there with his wife Louisa and their two children, Charles and Ella, until Louisa’s untimely death in 1878.
The year his first wife died, Shaw had formed a business partnership with John Bowman. They built a large brick building on the northwest corner of West Street at Second Street where they operated a mercantile store known as the Shaw Bowman Company. The building changed hands several times over the years, with the last owners being Ray and Bernice Donnelly, who operated Donnelly Department Store until 1971. The building was razed in 1975 to make room for a parking lot, which is still what it is today.
In the early 1880’s, banking activities were conducted out of the Shaw Bowman Building. A bank charter was officially obtained by Shaw and six other merchants on February 25, 1884. First called the Cloverdale Exchange Bank, and later the Bank of Cloverdale, Shaw was the first president. After Minerva’s death, the house had several owners before the Cloverdale Historical Society purchased it in 1883 with the idea of turning it into the Cloverdale Museum. The structure was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1992 and underwent a major renovation and earthquake retrofitting in the late 1990’s.
On Saturday, July 21,
By Mary Jo Winter,
Cloverdale Historical Society
Categories. • Landmarks • Notable Buildings • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 19, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 14, 2014, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California. This page has been viewed 229 times since then. Last updated on November 13, 2017, by Greg Rogers of Cloverdale, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 14, 2014, by Loren Wilson of Sebastopol, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.