Camden in Kershaw County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
In 1780 - 81, the British built a series of small forts or redoubts to serve as an outer line of defense for their headquarters at Camden. They were well fortified with troops and artillery, making Camden relatively impenetrable to attack by the Colonial forces. This redoubt was just outside the town’s palisade southwest of the Old Presbyterian Church, this graveyard, and a few yards south of this sign. It guarded the approach from the strategic Wateree Ferry. On May 10, 1781 the British evacuated, destroying it and much of Camden.
Erected by Kershaw County Clean Community Commission, Historic Campbell Street Committee.
Location. 34° 14.01′ N, 80° 36.475′ W. Marker is in Camden, South Carolina, in Kershaw County. Marker is at the intersection of Meeting Street and Church Street, on the left when traveling west on Meeting Street. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Old Presbyterian Burying Ground. Marker is in this post office area: Camden SC 29020, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Revolutionary War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Southwest Redoubt (within shouting distance of this marker); The Camden Oak Presbyterian Meeting House (within shouting distance of this marker); Agnes of Glasgow 1760 ~ 1780 (within shouting distance of this marker); Maj. Gen. Baron Johann de Kalb's Original Gravesite (within shouting distance of this marker); West Redoubt (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named West Redoubt (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Camden.
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 7, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 70 times since then and 8 times this year. Last updated on December 9, 2017, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 7, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.