New Braunfels in Comal County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Comal County Courthouse
In 1846 Comal County held its first court session in the home of its county clerk, Conrad Seabaugh. Courthouse facilities acquired in 1849 proved inadequate and were replaced with a 2-story building at the southeast corner of the city plaza in 1860. The building fell into disrepair and in 1898 the county chose famous Texas courthouse architect J. Riley Gordon to design a new courthouse. Gordon's original design, incorporating four entrances compatible with the building's proposed location at the center of the plaza, was nevertheless retained when this corner lot site was chosen instead.
Austin contractors Fischer and Lamie used stone quarried 10 miles north of New Braunfels on land owned by Texas/U.S. statesman Edward Mandell House to build this courthouse in 1898. The 3-½ story Romanesque-style structure features rounded pavilion entrances often employed by Gordon and includes dramatic massing and superb detail in its stone work. A 1929-31 large stone jail addition was designed by Jeremiah Schmidt of New Braunfels. The courthouse underwent considerable interior and minor exterior renovations in 1966-67 and 1987. The courthouse
Erected 1993 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 987.)
Location. 29° 42.215′ N, 98° 7.482′ W. Marker is in New Braunfels, Texas, in Comal County. Marker is at the intersection of East San Antonio Street and North Seguin Avenue, on the right when traveling west on East San Antonio Street. Touch for map. Marker is located at the northeast corner of the Comal County Courthouse, between the parking lot and the east entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 North Seguin Avenue, New Braunfels TX 78130, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New Braunfels (here, next to this marker); Comal County, C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); Main Plaza Bandstand (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Old Schmitz Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Eiband and Fischer General Mercantile (about 300 feet away); 1915 New Braunfels Post Office (about 600 feet away); Hinmann House (about 700 feet away); Spaß und Gemütlichkeit (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Braunfels.
Also see . . .
1. Comal County Courthouse.
The Comal County Courthouse, designed by J. Riely Gordon in the Romanesque Revival style, was constructed in 1898 and dedicated in January 1899. Rather than being placed in the center of the town square, the courthouse was built on the northeast corner of the square. The interior spaces are arranged in a Greek-cross plan with a central stairwell as developed by Gordon to facilitate natural ventilation by allowing hot air to rise and vent through the tower, giving the tower the role of not only unifying the courthouse massing but also serving a functional purpose. (Submitted on December 9, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Comal County Courthouse History.
The courthouse was built with local limestone with red granite steps and the Gordon trademark of red granite columns at the arched corner entrances and second story balconies over the south and west side entrances. The third story balconies have a stone balustrade. Rising from the center of the building is a square tower with tall, open archways that is tapered towards the top. The hipped, metal roofs have decorative dormers rising from each side. The district courtroom, with curving walls on the north and east sides, was originally two stories with balcony seating and receding arches in a bay behind the judge’s bench. (Submitted on December 9, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 9, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 94 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 9, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.