Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
1943 - 1946
—Tyler Honors · Half Mile of History —
U.S. Army Infantry Replacement Center
was located 8 miles NE of Tyler on US
271. An estimated 150,000 men received
basic combat training during WWII.
Erected by Main Street Tyler Texas.
Location. 32° 21.106′ N, 95° 18.022′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker can be reached from East Ferguson Street west of North Spring Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Part of the Tyler Half Mile of History Heritage Trail. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 East Ferguson Street, Tyler TX 75702, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Yarbrough Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Ford (within shouting distance of this marker); Smith County as a 19th Century Legal Center (within shouting distance of this marker); Col. Bryan Marsh (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas R. Bonner (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Smith County C.S.A. / Tyler-Smith County C.S.A. Men and Units Brady P. Gentry (about 300 feet away); The First County Agricultural Extension Agent (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tyler.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on Camp Fannin. (Submitted on December 24, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Categories. • Notable Places • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on December 24, 2017. This page originally submitted on December 24, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 131 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 24, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.