Dupont Circle in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
This section of 15th St.
—Diverse Visions/One Neighborhood —
This section of 15th St. and the east-west blocks meeting it were developed mainly from 1874 to 1887 by a group of speculative investors. The house at the corner of 15th and Q Sts. was built earlier, in 1864.
St. Augustine's, Washington's first black Catholic Church, grew from the Blessed Martin School (honoring Saint Martin De Porres), which opened in the 1100 block of 15th St. in 1858. Dedicated in the 1860s as St. Augustine's Church - the church later moved to the 1700 block of 15th St. and then to 15th and V Sts.
At 1733 16th St. stands the House of the Temple (above), the headquarters building of the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry, Southern Jurisdiction, U.S.A. It was designed by John Russell Pope, architect of the National Archives, the National Gallery, the Jefferson Memorial and several churches and residences. Built 1911-1915, the temple was modeled on the mausoleum of Halikarnassos, one of the seven wonders of the ancient world. Its council room is 100 feet high.
Fire Alarm Boxes such as this one (originally painted red) were installed in the District after the Civil War. Telegraphs transmitted the box number (top) to a fire alarm center. This system was used until the 1970s when the boxes were converted to a telephone system. By the 1990s, the callbox system had been
Fire Fact | 1893
"Betwixt the fires and deadly wires/
And hydrants plugged with ice/
A "busted" hose, and other woes/
It can't be very nice."
From Fire and Water, 1893, describing the firefighter's job.
Fire Department information and images courtesy of Capitol Fire Museum
Artist | Tom Jennings
Tom Jennings is a local artist specializing in ink drawings and logo design.
Tour guide, map and artist information for all 22 boxes available at: www.DupontCircleCallBox.com
Erected by Art on Call. (Marker Number 249.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Art on Call marker series.
Location. 38° 54.851′ N, 77° 2.08′ W. Marker is in Dupont Circle, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of 15th Street NW and S Street NW, on the right when traveling south on 15th Street NW. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1503 S Street NW, Washington DC 20009, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Georgia Douglas Johnson Residence (within shouting distance of this marker); John Wesley Cromwell Residence (about 400 feet away, measured Fifteenth Street Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); This is part of the Shaw neighborhood (about 500 feet away); Strong Families and Eminent Citizens (about 500 feet away); Owen D Young Peace Tower (about 600 feet away); Todd Duncan Residence (about 800 feet away); The Dupont Circle area has always been (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dupont Circle.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 29, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. This page has been viewed 200 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on January 14, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 29, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 3. submitted on January 14, 2018, by Devry Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 4. submitted on July 29, 2016, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico.