Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Port Gamble in Kitsap County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
 

Community Hall / Post Office

1906

 
 
Community Hall / Post Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, December 30, 2012
1. Community Hall / Post Office Marker
Inscription. The first mail deliveries arrived by sailing bark. The company payroll of silver dollars were hauled up in a "trusty" wheelbarrow, and counted and deposited in a safe by D.L. Jackson. A barber, doctor, dentist, and telegraph/telephone operator served residents here. Dances, plays, movies, and basketball games entertained them upstairs.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Postal Mail and Philately marker series.
 
Location. 47° 51.348′ N, 122° 35.063′ W. Marker is in Port Gamble, Washington, in Kitsap County. Marker is at the intersection of Walker St and N Rainier Ave, on the left when traveling west on Walker St. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Gamble WA 98364, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Port Gamble Centennial (a few steps from this marker); Fire Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Franklin Lodge No. 5 (within shouting distance of this marker); Port Gamble General Store & Office (within shouting distance of this marker); New York House (within shouting distance of this marker); WM. Walker - E.G. Ames House
Community Hall / Post Office image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, December 30, 2012
2. Community Hall / Post Office
(within shouting distance of this marker); Duplex (within shouting distance of this marker); Camperdown Elm (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Port Gamble.
 
Regarding Community Hall / Post Office. Historylink.org provides additional history: Port Gamble's first community hall was built in 1869 as a dance hall and church. In 1907, the present structure was designed by the Seattle architectural firm of Bebb and Mendel.

The first floor had space for a doctor's office, a dentist's office, a barber shop, telegraph office, and post office. The auditorium on the second floor served as a meeting room, athletic venue, theater, movie house, and dance hall.

In 2003, the building still serves as a post office and rents office space. The auditorium is intact, including the antique movie projector.
 
Also see . . .  History of Port Gamble. (Submitted on January 18, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Community Hall / Post Office Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, December 30, 2012
3. Community Hall / Post Office Marker
Community Hall / Post Office image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, December 30, 2012
4. Community Hall / Post Office
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 18, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 89 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 18, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.