Astoria in Clatsop County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Shively - McClure National Register Historic District
Here you look out over Astoria's first neighborhood. Platted in 1846 by prominent pioneers, Colonel John McClure and John Shively, this district was home to our most influential citizens; elected officials, leading businessmen, cannery magnates, ship captains, logging barons. The district was also home to Astoria's working class-Chinese, Yugoslavian, and Scandinavian immigrants who worked in canneries lining the riverfront. That diversity is reflected in the district's architectural styles. After a 1922 downtown fire, many larger homes were converted to apartments, a trend that peaked in WW II. Shively-McClure was also home to the first post office west of the Rockies, three blocks below this marker.
Location. 46° 11.053′ N, 123° 49.6′ W. Marker is in Astoria, Oregon, in Clatsop County. Marker is at the intersection of Jerome Avenue and 15th Street, on the left when traveling east on Jerome Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Astoria OR 97103, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Built by Capt. Hiram Brown (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Original Settlement of Astoria (approx. ¼ mile away); Ranald MacDonald (approx. Fort Astoria (approx. ¼ mile away); Clark Gable (approx. 0.3 miles away); Gimre's Shoe Store (approx. 0.4 miles away); Into the Unknown (approx. 0.4 miles away); A Waterfront at Work (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Astoria.
Also see . . .
Commercial Street was the heart of Astoria, Oregon, which is the oldest settlement west of the Rocky Mountains. Lewis & Clark stayed near present day Astoria during the winter of 1805-06, and built Fort Clatsop for shelter. Members of the Pacific Fur Company, owned by John Jacob Astor, arrived in March of 1811 and established Fort Astoria. Several years later, the company failed, and the fort and fur trade were sold to the British in 1813. The fort was restored to the U.S. in 1818, though the fur trade would remain under British control until American pioneers following the Oregon Trail began filtering into the port town in the mid-1840's. (Submitted on January 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. National Register of Historic Places Registration.
In 1844, Astoria's central and oldest region, was platted by Col. John McClure (Submitted on January 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Asian Americans • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 19, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 96 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 19, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.