Maria Stein in Mercer County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
St John the Baptist Catholic Church
In the “Land of the Cross-Tipped Churches”
Architect: Adophus Druiding (1838- 1899), Chicago, IL
Contractor: Anton DeCurtins (1829- 1895), Carthagena, OH
This historic parish was organized in 1835 by a group of German immigrants, primarily from Oldenburg, who purchased 40 acres of land. In 1836, the parish was established from St. Augustine, Minster and became the first catholic parish in Marion Township and Mercer County. The present church is the third one after log (1837) and brick (1850) buildings. The plat for the village of St. John was recorded 24 September 1838.
On 5 May 1889 the cornerstone for the present church was blessed by native son, Bishop Joseph Dwenger, C.P.P.S. (1837-1893). Two years later, the church was dedicated at a cost of $40,133, much of the work was done by parishioners. In Romanesque Revival style, the church measures nearly 138 feet in length and 58 feet wide. The exterior was decorated with sandstone trim, finials and cornices. but they were removed c. 1960. The tower, rising 180 feet, contains three bells made by the Henry Stucksted Bell Co., St. Louis in 1892. Ten Corinthian stone columns grace he interior with painting by the Adolph Liebig Co., Milwaukee and three glass windows were created by the Artistic Glass Co., Cincinnati. Three altars, appropriate to the architecture of
Presented to the St. John Parish by descendants of the Leon and Catherine (Klinker) Bernard Family, immigrant parishioners from Rechesy, France, who arrived in Maria Stein in 1836; A.D. 2008.
Erected 2008 by Descendants of the Leon and Catherine (Klinker) Bernard.
Location. 40° 24.463′ N, 84° 28.407′ W. Marker is in Maria Stein, Ohio, in Mercer County. Marker is at the intersection of Ohio Route 119 and St. Johns Road (County Route 171), on the right when traveling west on State Route 119. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8519 Ohio 119, Maria Stein OH 45860, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Maria Stein Convent and Relic Chapel (approx. 0.6 miles away); Maria Stein Veterans Memorial (approx. ¾ mile away); St. Rose Schoolhouse Bell (approx. 2.2 miles away); Minster's Origins (approx. 5.1 miles away); The Log Church Cholera Marker (approx. 5.1 miles away); The Crescent Theater (approx. 5.1 miles away); Francis J. Stallo's log cabin (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Maria Stein.
Categories. • Architecture • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on January 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 4, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 224 times since then and 50 times this year. Last updated on January 24, 2018, by Allen W. Bernard of Cincinnati, Oh 45202-1736. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 4, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.