Originally a forest towering above Ft. Washington; then a vineyard on the Nicholas Longworth Estate, the mansion house of which is the Taft Museum; then a neighborhood of German and Irish immigrants; later an enclave of artisans associated with the Art Academy and Rookwood Pottery; Currently an urban neighborhood with an "Old World" village feeling and focus.
SEE OTHER SIDE
1 - Rookwood Pottery: (1892) 1077 Celestial. Produced world famous Rookwood ceramics until 1964.
2 - Site of Highland House: (1875) 1071 Celestial. Noted amusement center and beer garden. Theodore Thomas, one of the founders of the May Festival and first conductor of Chicago Symphony often performed here. Destroyed by fire in 1895.
3 - Site of Diehl Fireworks Co. and Pyrotechnic Garden: (1850) 1077 Celestial. Produced notable fireworks in adjoining public garden.
4 - Site of Mt. Adams Incline: (1875-1948) Carried passengers and streetcars from downtown to Celestial, an elevation of 268 feet. Length of incline was 945 feet. Foundation supports
5 - Site of Sterling Cut Glass Company: (1902) 1071 Celestial. Produced fine quality cut and art glass.
6 - Immaculata Church: (1859) Guido and Pavilion Streets. "Church of the Steps" and site of Good Friday Pilgrimage. Served German speaking Catholics.
7 - Holy Cross Monastery and Church: (1873) 1055 St. Paul Place. Established by the Passionist Order and served English speaking Catholics.
8 - Ida Street Viaduct: (1931) Art Deco bridge designed by d. R. Biedinger. Incor-porated concept of recessed lighting and served as model for other bridges.
9 - Pilgrim Chapel: (1886) 1222 Ida. First Protestant church in Mt. Adams and only surviving local 19th Century Presbyterian "mission" station.
10 - Mt. Adams Public School: (1894) 1125 St. Gregory. Typical example of late 19th Century Public School architecture. Designed by Henry E. Siter. 11- Mt. Adams Fire Compahy: (1887) 1108 St. Gregory. Organized in 1868, Fire Company No. 15 remained here until 1922. It was the last horse drawn operation maintained by the Cincinnati Fire Department.
12 - Site of Mitchel Observatory: (1845-1870) 1055 St. Paul Place. A forerunner of the U. S.Weather Service. First weather bulletins in the United States were issued from here in 1869. Contained largest telescope in
13 - Hessler Dance Studio: (1923-1940) 1033 Monastery. Building reputedly for French artists and lithographers. Students included Cincinnatians Doris (Kappelhoff) Day and Vera Ellen (Rohe).
14 - The Cloisters: (1972) Hatch Street. Condominium complex designed by Hardy Holzman Pfeiffer Associates. Nationally acclaimed example of hillside architecture.
15 - Marine Hospital/Good Samaritan Hospital: (1859) Formerly located at Sixth and Lock Street. Built by U. S. Government. Operated by Sisters of Charity from 1866-1915.
SEE OTHER SIDE
Erected by Mt. Adams Preservation Association.
Location. 39° 6.345′ N, 84° 29.816′ W. Marker is in Cincinnati, Ohio, in Hamilton County. Marker is at the intersection of Hill Street and Celestial Street, on the left on Hill Street. Located at the top of Hill street in a part called Mt. Adams Lookout; It is at the top of a stairway that goes over Columbia Parkway to Adams Crossing below Mt. Adams. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Corner of Hill and Celestial Streets, Cincinnati OH 45202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The "Church of the Steps" (Immaculata), (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Mt. Adams
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Mt. Adams.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 29, 2018. This page originally submitted on January 26, 2018, by Allen W. Bernard of Cincinnati, Oh 45202-1736. This page has been viewed 108 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 26, 2018, by Allen W. Bernard of Cincinnati, Oh 45202-1736. 7. submitted on January 29, 2018. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.