Newport in Lincoln County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
1866 – 1966
The city of Newport was named on July 4, 1866. On that day the townspeople and many visitors gathered to celebrate the ninetieth anniversary of National Independence Day and to name this small fishing and lumbering community. A tall pole was erected to receive the American flag. Prayer was offered, followed by singing and eloquent addresses abounding with loyalty and love of country.
In October, 1882, Newport was incorporated as a city with a population of about 250. Through the development of lumbering, fishing and recreational resources, the town has grown to the present population of 5,577.
Today, we here honor our city founders and pledge continued dedication to God, Nation, State and Community – that future generation may find our city as our forebears dreamed of it: “The bright and rising start of Oregon… may she ever be ascendant!”
Erected 1966 by City of Newport, Oregon.
Location. 44° 37.927′ N, 124° 3.498′ W. Marker is in Newport, Oregon, in Lincoln County. Marker is on Oregon Coast Highway (U.S. 101) south of SW Alder Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is the centerpiece
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. United States Coast Guard Motor Lifeboat CG 36503 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Yaquina Bay Bridge (approx. 0.7 miles away); Yaquina Bay (approx. 0.7 miles away); South to Newport (approx. 3.2 miles away); A Family Affair (approx. 3.3 miles away); A Keeper's Work Was Never Done (approx. 3.3 miles away); It's a Long Way Up (approx. 3.3 miles away); Devil's Punchbowl (approx. 7.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport.
More about this marker. Marker is a metal tablet mounted on the flat, polished side of a large pointed boulder - the Founding Rock.
Also see . . .
Newport sits on land that once was the home of the Yacona Indians, whose history can be documented for at least three thousand years. By the time the Coast Reservation was established in 1855, relocating more than twenty tribes from Oregon and northern California, the Yacona population had been nearly decimated from disease and forest fires. The town developed around the Yaquina Bay area, which opened to white settlement in 1866. Newport (Submitted on February 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
As early as 1856, Yaquina Bay was visited by the sailing vessel Calumet, laden with supplies for Lieutenant Phil Sheridan and the nearby military garrison. When the Yaquina Bay oyster beds were discovered in 1862, great profits were made by exporting the delicacy to San Francisco and elsewhere. Settlers from the East Coast began homesteading in the Yaquina Bay area in 1864. (Submitted on February 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Yaquina Bay.
Yaquina Bay is named after the Yaquina Tribe that occupied the territory along the Yaquina River. With the railroad addition In the late 1880s, many thought Yaquina Bay would be the commerce center for the Pacific Northwest. Wheat, lumber, and other goods were transported to Yaquina Bay as the area began to develop. Oyster companies and other merchandise organizations began to take residence in the Bay. (Submitted on February 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on February 21, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 123 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7. submitted on February 20, 2018. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.