Carrollton in Carroll County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
In 1830, the town was surveyed and lots were laid out, with the central feature being the town square, which was later named Adamson Square, for local judge and congressman William C. Adamson. The first city commissioners sold business plots for Adamson Square at public auction on the first Tuesday in February of 1830. First Tuesday became known as trading day in Carollton.
Johnsonís Drug Company, an apothecary shop, opened for business in 1854. Trade with local Creek Indians yielded roots and medical plants that served as a basis for Johnsonís medicines, and this remained open until 1972.
Although it was the county seat and the main market town for most of Carroll County, transportation of both goods and passengers was difficult until the coming of the railroad in 1874, so Carrollton remained largely a frontier town until well after the American Civil War.
During the war between the states, there were four raids on the city of Carrollton. In 1865, Union troops set the northwest quadrant ablaze and held local citizens at bay.
The coming of the railroad in 1874 brought new prosperity to Carrollton. Farmers were able to bring their crops, mostly
At the start of the 20th century, Carrollton boasted running water, had electric lighting and telephone service and the town began paving its streets in 1918. By this time, there were three silent movie theaters located on the Square.
In 1906, Carrollton was chosen as the site of the Fourth District Agricultural and Mechanical School, which became West Georgia College in 1934, and is now the University of West Georgia.
Carrollton remained an agricultural and textile manufacturing center throughout the first half of the 20th century, but as the local production of cotton declined and the population became more urban, other industries began to take on a greater prominence. This diversification of industry has continued into the 21st century, aided in part by Carrolltonís ready access to Interstate 20 and the Norfolk Southern Railroad.
Through the years, the Carrollton Square has played host to many large gatherings, festivals and events, including the passing
Erected by Carroll County Historical Society and City of Carrollton.
Location. 33° 34.828′ N, 85° 4.508′ W. Marker is in Carrollton, Georgia, in Carroll County. Marker is at the intersection of Rome Street and Alabama Street, on the left when traveling north on Rome Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 412 Adamson Square, Carrollton GA 30117, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Six Industrial Giants (was about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line but has been reported missing. ); Charles Carroll of Carrollton (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dixie Street (approx. ľ mile away); First "REA" Substation in Carroll County (approx. 2.2 miles away); Sacred Harp Singing (approx. 8.3 miles away); Last Land in Georgia Ceded by the Creeks (approx. 10.6 miles away); Whatley Memorial Historic Park (approx. 11 miles away); Site of Bowdon College (approx. 11.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carrollton.
More about this marker. Marker is on the wall of a building on the town square, currently "Locomex Downtown".
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 22, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 21, 2018, by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. This page has been viewed 61 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 21, 2018, by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.