Covington in Saint Tammany Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Bicentennial Covington - Historical Point of View
During the Reconstruction Period, trade was still slow as the main source of land transportation was still the ox and the wagon. From the mid-1800s, the railroads were primarily used access the area's vast timber reserves, but once built, they were quickly put to use by the burgeoning tourism and resort industry. On May 16, 1888, the East Louisiana Railroad reached Covington, heralding an economic boom. The flow of people and commerce that first came by river exploded with the arrival of the railroad.
Erected by City of Covington, Louisiana.
Location. 30° 28.603′ N, 90° 5.748′ W. Marker is in Covington, Louisiana, in Saint Tammany Parish. Marker is at the intersection of East Gibson Street and North New Hampshire Street, on the right when traveling west on East Gibson Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 404 East Gibson Street, Covington LA 70433, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Public "Ox Lot" Parking (within shouting distance of this marker); Bicentennial Covington #1 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Courthouse Square and Historic Oaks (about 400 feet away); H.J. Smith and Sons Hardware and Museum The Southern Hotel (about 500 feet away); The Covington Bank and Trust Building (about 500 feet away); Columbia Street (about 700 feet away); Covington (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Covington.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 29, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 29, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 61 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 29, 2018.