Virginia City in Madison County, Montana — The American West (Mountains)
Creighton Stone Block
Brothers John A. and Edward Creighton came west scouting the first transcontinental telegraph lines from Omaha, Nebraska, to the coast. Temporarily settling in Virginia City, Edward hired Thompson and Griffith to construct this building, the first of locally quarried stone. Beautifully returned to its original appearance, the nine arched openings once defined three separate storefronts. Early occupants included E. Creighton & Co. and B. D. Maxham's liquors and groceries. In 1866, the Creightons, who constructed the first transcontinental telegraph line in 1861, brought this critical link to Montana Territory with the first line to Salt Lake City via a pole on this corner. In 1873, the Madisonian began more than a century of publication in the building's east portion. Edward died in 1874 and, following his wishes, his widow endowed Omaha's Creighton University, one of the first Catholic universities in the western United States. John's philanthropy enlarged and developed the school. John partnered with Butte's fourth copper king, Patrick Largey, who once constructed telegraph lines for the Creightons. The State Savings Bank of Butte and the Speculator Mine were among their joint enterprises.
This property contributes to the Virginia City Historic District • Listed in the National Register of Historic Places
Erected by Montana Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Montana National Register Historical Markers marker series.
Location. 45° 17.602′ N, 111° 56.725′ W. Marker is in Virginia City, Montana, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of Wallace Street (State Highway 287) and Van Buren Street, on the right when traveling east on Wallace Street. Touch for map. Marker is a metal plaque, mounted at eye-level, directly on the subject building, facing the highway, near the southeast corner of the building. Marker is in this post office area: Virginia City MT 59755, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Barlett’s Blacksmith Shop (a few steps from this marker); The Remarkable Sarah Bickford (a few steps from this marker); Allen and Millard Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Elling Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Hangman’s Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Masonic Temple (within shouting distance of this marker); Pfouts and Russel (within shouting distance of this marker); F.R. Merk Block (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Virginia City.
Regarding Creighton Stone Block. Erected in 1866 by John and Edward Creighton, founders of Western Union and benefactors of Creighton University. This stone building had the first telegraph office connecting Virginia City, Montana site of the country's largest placer gold discovery, to Salt Lake City and the rest of the United States. National Register of Historic Places.
Also see . . . John A. and Edward Creighton.
John Creighton's first job was working for his brother Edward, installing a telegraph line from Cleveland to Toledo. Edward accepted a contract installing 700 miles of the Pacific Telegraph line, the First Transcontinental Telegraph in the United States. John was hired as the superintendent of the construction. In the early 1860s the Creightons traveled to Montana to mine gold, eventually installing a telegraph line from Salt Lake City, Utah to Helena, Montana. During John Creighton's life in Montana he is credited with helping rid the state of the desperados who made it inhospitable towards settlement. (Submitted on May 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Communications • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 66 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.