Near Forreston in Ellis County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Thomas Jefferson Chambers
to whom the first land grant within
present Ellis County was made in 1834
by the Mexican government
Also known as Howe's Settlement
in honor of William R. Howe,
first settler in the region
An early post office
in Robertson County
First county seat of
Erected 1936 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 7088.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments marker series.
Location. 32° 14.431′ N, 96° 52.187′ W. Marker is near Forreston, Texas, in Ellis County. Marker is on Mosely Street (U.S. 77) 0.3 miles south of Lumkins Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Forreston TX 76041, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Marr Hardeman (approx. 3.8 miles away); General Edward H. Tarrant (approx. 3.9 miles away); Thomas J. Jordan (approx. 8.8 miles away); James McDaniel Old Ellis County Jail (approx. 10.2 miles away); Frost Baptist Church (approx. 11.6 miles away); Frost (approx. 11.8 miles away); Mertens Baptist Church (approx. 12.6 miles away).
More about this marker. The marker is in a decommissioned roadside park.
Also see . . . Chambers, Thomas Jefferson [1802-1865]. from the Handbook of Texas Online (Submitted on May 12, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 12, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 12, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. This page has been viewed 67 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 12, 2018, by Larry D. Moore of Del Valle, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.