London Borough of Tower Hamlets in Greater London County, England, United Kingdom
History beneath your feet
In 1389 Geoffrey Chaucer, poet and Royal Clerk of the Works, ordered the construction of this part of the Tower Wharf. 64 years later gun foundries and workshops were added. In 1803 a factory was built here to make hand-guns for the war against Napoleon. The buildings were later demolished and in 1886 construction of Tower Bridge began.
Archaeologists investigated this site before the restaurant was built. They discovered a massive defensive stone wall, over a metre thick. It was part of the 17th century fortification of the Wharf, and was built when old Tudor workshops were cleared away. 18th century cellar walls, steps and yard floors were found, as well as some foundations of the factory. This important archaeology was recorded and re-buried, to preserve it beneath your feet.
( the text is also presented in ten additional languages)
Location. 51° 30.42′ N, 0° 4.512′ W. Marker is in London Borough of Tower Hamlets, England, in Greater London County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Tower Hill and Trinity Square, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Located next the Sargeant's Mess Restaurant (formerly the Perkin Reveller), on the walkway along the River Thames, next to Tower Bridge. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Iron 13-inch Mortar and Bed (a few steps from this marker); Iron 13-inch Mortar (a few steps from this marker); Cast iron 12-pounder Gun (within shouting distance of this marker); Tower Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Memorial Stone (within shouting distance of this marker); Bronze 6-pounder Gun and Carriage (within shouting distance of this marker); City of London Tower Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Corporation of London Tower Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in London Borough of Tower Hamlets.
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 25, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 52 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 25, 2018, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.