Robstown in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
George H. Paul Building Site
Robstown began in 1903 at the merger point of the Texas-Mexican and the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railroads. The town grew rapidly after the arrival of land developer George H. Paul. He organized the George H. Paul Land Co., acquired about 300,000 acres of land from nearby ranches, and subdivided the property into cotton farms. Special trains transported Paul's land agents to the East and Midwest to interest prospective buyers in the area.
The hub of activities in the new community was the Paul Building, a two story red brick structure erected at this location in 1908. Its first floor was occupied by the Howard and Jacoby General Store. The multi-purpose building also housed Robstown's first school and a community room where church services were held. A windmill and well behind the structure provided the town's water supply.
The Guaranty State Bank, organized in 1913 by William H. ("Bill") Daimwood, occupied the Paul Building in 1924. Renamed the State National Bank of Robstown in 1925, it was noted for its stability in the Great Depression of the 1930s. The Paul Building was demolished in 1972, after the structure
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6317.)
Location. 27° 47.373′ N, 97° 39.821′ W. Marker is in Robstown, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Avenue and North 5th Street, on the right when traveling west on East Main Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 425 E Main Ave, Robstown TX 78380, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Robstown Record (within shouting distance of this marker); Sie Sind Willkommen (approx. 4.3 miles away); Old Saint Anthony's Catholic Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); Violet, Texas (approx. 4.3 miles away); Meansville and Kaleta (approx. 12.1 miles away); White Point / Rosita (approx. 12.1 miles away); Early Odem Area Schools (approx. 12.1 miles away); San Patricio de Hibernia (approx. 13.1 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. George H. Paul. Paul worked out a deal with Robert Driscoll to sell part of the Driscoll Ranch. To promote land sales Paul established the town of Robstown. From Washington, Iowa, his hometown, he brought a contractor and carpenters, who constructed the first commercial building in town, a general store that also (Submitted on June 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Brief History of Robstown, Texas. (This link presents historical photos from sites along Main Avenue in Robstown.) Much credit is given to the rail road crossroads for the birth of Robstown, but it was not until a land speculator from Keota, Iowa by the name of George H. Paul arrived in 1907 and purchased 10,410.43 acres of the Driscoll Ranch located north of the Texas-Mexican Railroad that a vibrant new settlement began to take place. Early farmers and business entrepreneurs, within a few years, successfully turned the area into a leading cattle, cotton and vegetable farming/ranching area. (Submitted on June 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2018. This page originally submitted on May 31, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 72 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 1, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.