San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Oge House
Louis Oge (1832-1915) bought house in 1881, after migrating (1845) to Texas with the Castro Colony, serving in Texas Rangers under W.A.A. ("Bigfoot") Wallace, and making a fortune as a rancher. He was a San Antonio business leader and served as alderman and school board president. He had leading architect Alfred Giles enlarge and remodel the house in Neo-Classical style.
Erected 1971 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3680.)
Location. 29° 25.027′ N, 98° 29.544′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Steet and Turner Street, on the right when traveling south on Washington Steet. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 209 Washington Street, San Antonio TX 78204, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gustav Blersch House (within shouting distance of this marker); Sartor House (about 400 feet away, Site of United States San Antonio Arsenal (about 400 feet away); Site of Guenther's Upper Mill (about 600 feet away); Alfred Giles House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ernst Homestead (approx. 0.2 miles away); Norton-Polk-Mathis House (approx. ¼ mile away); Elias and Lucy Edmonds House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. King William Historic District
Also see . . . Oge House - Inn on the Riverwalk. Noble Inns (Submitted on November 26, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 17, 2018. This page originally submitted on November 21, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 467 times since then and 40 times this year. Last updated on June 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 21, 2012, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.