Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Coldspring in San Jacinto County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Governor George Tyler Wood

(1795-1858)

 
 
Governor George Tyler Wood Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, August 10, 2016
1. Governor George Tyler Wood Marker
Inscription. Born in Georgia and married there in 1837 to Martha Evans Gindrat (1809-63), a widow with 3 children, George T. Wood came to Texas with his family in 1839 and settled along the Trinity River near Point Blank. Wood studied law and was elected to the 6th Republic of Texas Congress, 1841-42, and the Annexation Convention of 1845. As a state senator in 1846, he sponsored a bill creating Tyler County. Woodville, the county seat, was named for him, as was Wood County, created in 1850.

Wood left the Senate in 1846 to fight in the Mexican War (1846-48). His military heroics helped make him the popular choice for governor in 1847. Under Gov. Wood, the recently-organized state government faced the problems of recurring Indian hostilities and a boundary dispute in Santa Fe County (now part of New Mexico). Gov. Wood urged sale of public lands to pay the large public debt. His administration saw the establishment of a state library and a penitentiary.

Mrs. Wood, who raised silkworms and made her own silk cloth, did not accompany her husband to the State Capital at Austin, then a rough frontier town without an official governor's residence. After failing to win a second term in 1849, Gov. Wood returned to his home at Point Blank. He died at age 63 and was buried nearby.
 
Erected 1976
San Jacinto County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, August 10, 2016
2. San Jacinto County Courthouse
by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7675.)
 
Location. 30° 35.537′ N, 95° 7.742′ W. Marker is in Coldspring, Texas, in San Jacinto County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Street (State Highway 150) and Byrd Avenue (Farm to Market Road 1514), on the right when traveling north on Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is located on the courthouse grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 State Highway 150, Coldspring TX 77331, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Townsite of Coldspring (a few steps from this marker); San Jacinto County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Mount Moriah Lodge No. 37, A.F. & A.M. (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Coldspring Methodist Church (about 400 feet away); First Baptist Church of Coldspring (about 600 feet away); Old San Jacinto County Jail (approx. mile away); San Jacinto County Jail (approx. mile away); San Jacinto County (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coldspring.
 
Also see . . .
1. From The Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on August 11, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. From Wikipedia. (Submitted on August 11, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
 
Categories. Notable Persons
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 11, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 273 times since then and 34 times this year. Last updated on June 19, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 11, 2016, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement