Newberry in Alachua County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Only after about 1870 did phosphates become an important world industry. In Alachua County, phosphates were discovered late in the 1870's, but as in other regions of Florida, the major developments in phosphate mining and processing began about 1889. The western part of Alachua County contained the major local deposits of rock phosphates Mines began to spring up after 1890, and by 1893, the Savannah, Florida, and Western Railway, already active in the area, extended its tracks southward from High Springs through the phosphate producing territory.
As a result of the mining activity and the appearance of the railroad, a new settlement appeared. A post office was established on March 19, 1894, under the name of Newtown; on August 1, the name was changed to Newberry. Most probably the new name was intended to honor Newberry, South Carolina, as many people had moved to North Florida from that town in the nineteenth century. The town of Newberry was incorporated in 1895. Phosphates continued to be the area's most important industry until the events of World War I reduced the market for the mineral. The region was later noted for its watermelon production and for other agricultural crops.
Erected 1973 by Alachua County Historical Commission In Cooperation
Location. 29° 38.775′ N, 82° 36.765′ W. Marker is in Newberry, Florida, in Alachua County. Marker is at the intersection of West Newberry Road (State Road 26) and Northwest 255th Street, on the right when traveling west on West Newberry Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 25440 W Newberry Rd, Newberry FL 32669, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. City of Newberry Historic District (within shouting distance of this marker); Newberry Community Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); William Bartram Trail (approx. 1.6 miles away); David Levy Yulee and Cotton Wood Plantation (approx. 9.6 miles away); Archer (approx. 9.7 miles away); Archer Veterans (approx. 9.9 miles away); Archer School Gymnasium (approx. 9.9 miles away); Thomas Gilbert Pearson (approx. 9.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newberry.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 18, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 561 times since then and 36 times this year. Last updated on June 19, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 19, 2018, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on April 18, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.