Bryan in Brazos County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
A movie theater has been at this location since 1913 and named “The Queen” since 1914. It was originally located in the three-story Stoddard Hotel built here in 1889. The Schulman family purchased the theater business in 1926 and the building in 1938. It was replaced by a modern structure with steel framework, air conditioning and indirect lighting designed by Pettigrew and Worley of Dallas. The tall, white façade was topped with a revolving, neon-lit crown. It reopened on Nov. 21, 1939 and continued for over 30 years. Vacant and in disrepair, the building was purchased by the Downtown Bryan Association in 2010 and restoration began. The Queen is the only example of Streamline Moderne architecture on Main Street.
Erected 2012 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 17340.)
Location. 30° 40.397′ N, 96° 22.419′ W. Marker is in Bryan, Texas, in Brazos County. Marker is on South Main Street 0.1 miles south of West 26th Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Mounted on right side of the main entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 South Main Street, Bryan TX 77803, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other La Salle Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Carnegie Public Library (within shouting distance of this marker); The CW&BV and I&GN Railroads in Bryan (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Brazos County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Harvey Mitchell (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brazos County Confederate Commissioners Court (approx. 0.2 miles away); Town Named for William Joel Bryan (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sbisa Dining Hall (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bryan.
Also see . . .
1. The Queen Theater.
Queen Theater, Bryan – In 1926, Abraham Schulman moved to Bryan and with his wife and son purchased the old Queen and Dixie Theaters on Main Street. Originally opened as the Exchange Hotel in the late 1800s, the building morphed into a theater, the Crystal, in the early 1900s, burning in 1914. The building was torn down and rebuilt in 1939 with the first “conditioned air” system in any theater west of the Mississippi. The 3 Bryan theaters — Queen, Dixie, Palace — all owned by Schulman and heavily promoted to Texas A & M students in nearby College Station ran successfully for several years. The Queen closed mid-late 70s, with the Palace being the last to close in 1985. Rather than suffer the fate of the Palace, the Queen has been restored by the Downtown (Submitted on December 6, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Restored glory: Downtown Bryan's Queen Theatre.
Since purchasing the Queen in 2010, the Downtown Bryan Association has been working to restore the building to its former glory. Bryan Councilman Ben Hardeman, who spearheaded the project seven years ago as head of the association's board at the time, said Friday that the interior work is about 40 percent complete, and should be finished by the end of the year or first quarter of 2018. (Submitted on December 6, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. The Queen Theater (before restoration).
(Picture of the Queen Theater before renovation) It was remodeled in an Art Deco style in 1939 to the plans of architectural firm Pettigrew & Worley. The Queen Theatre was still open in 1957. (Submitted on December 6, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Entertainment •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 6, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 92 times since then and 40 times this year. Last updated on July 3, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 6, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.