Sulphur Springs in Hopkins County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Townsite of Tarrant
Tarrant quickly grew into a thriving frontier town with a tannery, steam mill, blacksmith shop, brick kiln, and hotel. After 1851, it had a Masonic Lodge and school. During the 1850s, a newspaper, the "Texas Star," began publication, and a Methodist college opened.
Encircled by creeks, the town was difficult to reach in bad weather. The inconvenience of travel to Tarrant led Capt. Thomas M. Tolman in 1868 to transfer county records to Sulphur Springs, where Federal troops under his command were stationed after the Civil War to enforce Reconstruction laws. Despite local protests, county government remained there until civilian rule was restored in 1870. The return to Tarrant was brief, because the State Legislature in 1870 named Sulphur Springs as permanent county seat. Soon Tarrant
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7330.)
Location. 33° 11.924′ N, 95° 35.296′ W. Marker is in Sulphur Springs, Texas, in Hopkins County. Marker is on Texas Route 154 0.4 miles south of County Road 4761, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sulphur Springs TX 75482, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Historic Roadside Park (approx. 3.1 miles away); Confederate Refugees in Texas, C. S. A. (approx. 3.1 miles away); Sulphur Springs Volunteer Fire Department and Fire Bell of 1889 (approx. 3.9 miles away); Hopkins County Echo-Daily News-Telegram (approx. 4.1 miles away); Hopkins County Courthouse (approx. 4.2 miles away); City National Bank (approx. 4.2 miles away); Home County of Texas Confederate General W. H. King / Texas in the Civil War (approx. 4.2 miles away); Site of the Union Stockade (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sulphur Springs.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Townsite of Tarrant.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 5, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 72 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 5, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.