Lincoln in Lincoln County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Spanish-speaking settlers established a town here in the 1850s, after the U.S. Army began to control the Mescalero Apaches. First known as Las Placitas del Río Bonito, the name of the community was changed to Lincoln when Lincoln County was created in 1869.
Center of the turbulent Lincoln County War, 1876-79, a land and cattle feud marked by violence on both sides. Lincoln's historic landmarks include the Murphy-Dolan store, which later became the Lincoln County Courthouse, the store of John Henry Tunstall, whose murder set off the hostilities, and the house of Alexander McSween, where the final battle was fought.
Erected by New Mexico Historic Preservation Division. (Marker Number 421.)
Location. 33° 29.639′ N, 105° 23.468′ W. Marker is in Lincoln, New Mexico, in Lincoln County. Marker is on Billy the Kid Trail (U.S. 380 at milepost 98.4), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lincoln NM 88338, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Murphy-Dolan Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Old Wortley Hotel Lincoln Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the McSween Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Dolan Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Tunstall-McSween Store (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Squire Wilson's Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Torreon (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lincoln.
Also see . . . Legends of America. The Lincoln County War was a conflict between rival cattle barons in 19th century New Mexico Territory. (Submitted on August 10, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 6, 2018. This page originally submitted on August 10, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 572 times since then and 7 times this year. Last updated on July 5, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 10, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 3. submitted on July 5, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. 4, 5. submitted on August 10, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.